Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--7--As a Child  (Read 21864 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--7--As a Child
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 04:37:29 AM »
Amen, Richard! Simplicity in childhood allows God to impress the character, so that He can develop the life in harmony with the life of Christ when the heart and mind are yielded to Him!

Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life. Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness. 

Only Jesus is sinless, but if we will surrender our heart and mind to Him, if we will be molded by the Holy Spirit and let Him have possession of all of us, we may be fully cleansed from sin so that our characters, through the training and discipline Jesus received, may also be fit representations of what God would have us to be in our sphere in life. Thank God that Jesus is both our Substitute Savior and our Model Example! In Him we find all we need! Behold Him! You will be changed!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
This chapter strikes a chord in my heart as I look back over the years at my failures and my successes raising the girls. Failures when I ran ahead of God or lagged behind and successes when I put Him first in all my decisions and plans. What an example Jesus' home life was for each of our families.

Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God."

The insight that God gave Ellen White into the raising of children is profound and if followed brings such joy to the home, school, church and community. Even infants in our arms need patient, loving and consistent boundaries. They will be learning from us things that will give them impressions as to who God is and what He is like.

How many of our parents are reading (if they even have them); Child Guidance, The Adventist Home, and Messages to Young People? Without these books I would have been lost. No wonder we see spoiled, restless, ungrateful selfish children that have to be put on drugs to keep them calm and happy. How many homes do we see where the children are in charge? All because we are not following the example of Jesus. My heart aches for these unlikable children because it isn't their fault.

This chapter is full of promises for our families to have loving, caring, happy and peaceful homes here in preparation for our eternal home.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 04:55:46 AM »
Amen, dear sister!   Any parent who has Child Guidance and does not read it regularly, does not understand the great blessings that will come from studying it so that their children will be reared properly. What a great blessing that book is for me. As I read your post, I thought of our love of the garden. I can think of nothing better suited to bless children besides godly parents, than a garden where they come in close contact with nature and nature's God.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 06:32:47 AM »
     Continually He was seeking to draw from things seen illustrations by which to present the living oracles of God. The parables by which, during His ministry, He loved to teach His lessons of truth show how open His spirit was to the influences of nature, and how He had gathered the spiritual teaching from the surroundings of His daily life.
     Thus to Jesus the significance of the word and the works of God was unfolded, as He was trying to understand the reason of things. Heavenly beings were His attendants, and the culture of holy thoughts and communings was His. From the first dawning of intelligence He was constantly growing in spiritual grace and knowledge of truth.

If there ever was a culture that is safe to follow it would be Christ's culture of developing holy thoughts. And I love this idea of how Christ was able to draw lessons from nature. I have a friend that I go backpacking with on occasion and we have at times in the morning challenged each other to see how many spiritual lessons we can gather from that day's hike. It is a blessing, indeed!
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
Amen, Jim. What an opportunity to reveal Christ to the little ones from the many object lessons in nature!

Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spiritual thing. 

As children behold Jesus in nature and through His Word, they will become changed in character. The law of God will be written on their hearts.

The Lord had directed that even from babyhood the children should be taught of His goodness and His greatness, especially as revealed in His law, and shown in the history of Israel. Song and prayer and lessons from the Scriptures were to be adapted to the opening mind. Fathers and mothers were to instruct their children that the law of God is an expression of His character, and that as they received the principles of the law into the heart, the image of God was traced on mind and soul. Much of the teaching was oral; but the youth also learned to read the Hebrew writings; and the parchment rolls of the Old Testament Scriptures were open to their study.

Today, most all children grow up beholding a corrupt generation and their evil lessons through television, movies, games, and computers, not to mention through their teachers in schools, both public and private. Even those instructed through nature and the Word, are also being corrupted by these means. What a difficult time parents have today in their effort to develop purity in the lives of their children.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 09:28:42 AM »
Amen, Jim and Richard! Childhood and youth are important...as I reflect on Chapter 7 of Desire of Ages, I again am reminded why this is my favorite chapter. This chapter reveals how Jesus formed the character that was with Him in His public ministry. None of us have done exactly what Jesus did, but we can start today through a full-heart surrender to cultivate and develop a godly character as He imbues us with His Spirit. We can learn from nature precious lessons, we can commune with God in His word and open our hearts to the ministry of the angels. We can, through His grace, be complete victors in the conflict with sin, self, Satan, and the world. The "secret" is found in how much Jesus beheld His Father and cultivated continual communion with Him. This is our great need. And as we go about our work as God appoints it, we may be as faithfully doing His service in our home life as when we may give a Bible study to someone. If the motive is to glorify God (which it will be when Jesus has all of our heart), then we can praise, bless, and honor Him in all things!

"Jesus is our example. There are many who dwell with interest upon the period of His public ministry, while they pass unnoticed the teaching of His early years. But it is in His home life that He is the pattern for all children and youth. The Saviour condescended to poverty, that He might teach how closely we in a humble lot may walk with God. He lived to please, honor, and glorify His Father in the common things of life. His work began in consecrating the lowly trade of the craftsmen who toil for their daily bread. He was doing God's service just as much when laboring at the carpenter's bench as when working miracles for the multitude. And every youth who follows Christ's example of faithfulness and obedience in His lowly home may claim those words spoken of Him by the Father through the Holy Spirit, 'Behold My Servant, whom I uphold; Mine Elect, in whom My soul delighteth.' Isaiah 42:1." {The Desire of Ages, page 74, paragraph 4}

We may be 30 or older--but whatever our age, if we are one of God's children by faith, there are precious lessons and promises here for us!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2017, 03:09:05 AM »
"Merry Christmas!" we say today--but I want to point each one to the joy of Jesus, the One who has done so much for me, for you, and who formed a perfect character so that we can be saved by His imputed and imparted righteousness!

Luke 2:39-40: "And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth. And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him."

I love chapter 7 of The Desire of Ages, "As a Child"--it is my favorite chapter as the lessons here are intensely practical and so Christ-centered! I love beholding the loveliness of Jesus, and then getting to spend today imparting of His love and life to others as a volunteer at Your Best Pathway to Health in Phoenix, Arizona. May the lessons of Jesus be flashed into all of our minds this Christmas day as to how we can reflect His loveliness of character by having continual communion with God through Christ, and revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing (because such is the gift of God to all who abide in Him). Praise God for Jesus! He is the greatest gift of all--and now we get to go impart His love and life to others!

"As Jesus worked in childhood and youth, mind and body were developed. He did not use His physical powers recklessly, but in such a way as to keep them in health, that He might do the best work in every line. He was not willing to be defective, even in the handling of tools. He was perfect as a workman, as He was perfect in character. By His own example He taught that it is our duty to be industrious, that our work should be performed with exactness and thoroughness, and that such labor is honorable. The exercise that teaches the hands to be useful and trains the young to bear their share of life's burdens gives physical strength, and develops every faculty. All should find something to do that will be beneficial to themselves and helpful to others. God appointed work as a blessing, and only the diligent worker finds the true glory and joy of life. The approval of God rests with loving assurance upon children and youth who cheerfully take their part in the duties of the household, sharing the burdens of father and mother. Such children will go out from the home to be useful members of society." {The Desire of Ages, page 72, paragraph 4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2017, 05:38:15 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. I too love this chapter also. On this Christmas Day, there are lessons for us to learn as we read the inspired words in this chapter. Let me begin by sharing a testimony of what the Lord revealed to me before I was converted.

One Christmas Day, as an adult, I was thinking about what I was going to get for Christmas. Do we believe that the Holy Spirit speaks to us before we become Christians? He did speak to me. after I had this thought of what I was going to get, I thought what an absurd and selfish thought! How did I ever come to the selfishness of contemplating what gifts I was going to get at Christmas? Well, it was because I had been educated all of my life that Christmas was a time when I was going to get things!

That experience changed my attitude toward Christmas Day. No longer did I want to participate in doing that to my children. Yes, we are blessed as we give to others, but what about getting up early Christmas morning to see what Santa brought me? I had been all of my life trained to think about what I was going to receive, even though I was reared in a "Christian" home.

As we read about the childhood of Jesus, there are powerful lessons for us to learn, that our children might be like Jesus. As a man, I have a responsibility in this world. We know that the father in a home is the head of the household. and, so it is in the world when it comes to teaching spiritual things. But when it comes to rearing children, which is the primary responsibility that a mother and father have, the mother is the queen in the home. The lessons God has given us in studying the childhood of Jesus will bless all mothers who take the time to study this chapter.

Unlike the artist that uses a chisel to replicate something in stone, the mother has the opportunity to form the character of her child. There is no more important job in the world than this. Here is one important truth that will help the mothers who are reading:

The parents of Jesus were poor, and dependent upon their daily toil. He was familiar with poverty, self-denial, and privation. This experience was a safeguard to Him. In His industrious life there were no idle moments to invite temptation. No aimless hours opened the way for corrupting associations.

This is just one of many lessons revealed in this chapter that will bless mothers as they seek to lead their little ones to be faithful reflections of Christ in a world soon to perish. Think for a moment, about the mothers of Jesus, Moses, Abraham, Daniel, and other godly men. Who was it that God used to form such characters? It was the primary work of their mothers! Childhood and youth is the time when such characters are formed. May we recognize the wonderful opportunity given to mothers. There is no greater work!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 04:49:37 AM »
As we near the end of this world's history, there are and will be many great trials. Many will perish because they cannot bear the strain. Evil is increasing at a rapid rate. Our only hope is to be found abiding in Christ. How shall we look upon these great trials? We will glory in our tribulations, for they work for our good and God's glory as we witness the character of Christ to a world soon to perish.  "We glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5.

Jesus knows of our difficulties, so He can sympathize with us no matter how great the trial. We ought not fear our trials. Jesus does not allow any to come to us, that He does not provide power to overcome as long as we are vitally connected with Him. He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear.

Christ was the only sinless one who ever dwelt on earth; yet for nearly thirty years He lived among the wicked inhabitants of Nazareth. This fact is a rebuke to those who think themselves dependent upon place, fortune, or prosperity, in order to live a blameless life. Temptation, poverty, adversity, is the very discipline needed to develop purity and firmness. 

I love this statement, for it speaks to us in ways that will protect us from the heresies that have come into the Christian churches. None, no not one, will ever live a sinless life. Jesus is the only sinless one. Yet, we are called to be transformed that we can live a blameless life....AFTER we are truly converted.   "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23. We shall indeed meet with adversity. We shall lose friends and loved to Satan, but that is no excuse for not living a blameless life after we make a full surrender of self to Christ. His love (grace) will empower all who allow His grace into the heart. All who do so will have their hearts cleansed as white as snow, even though we will still live in our vile fallen flesh. What a miracle is the power of God's grace!!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 06:01:25 AM »
Jesus knows of our difficulties, so He can sympathize with us no matter how great the trial. We ought not fear our trials. Jesus does not allow any to come to us, that He does not provide power to overcome as long as we are vitally connected with Him. He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear.

I was thinking your statement Richard, and something else came to mind. Even though our trials may be great Christ our elder brother has gone before us and pushed down the briars and craggy cliffs and shores. They are not as bad as satan would have them otherwise our trials would kill us...ie they'd beyond what we could bear. Christ has suffered most than anyone so He knows how to comfort those going through great trials.

Hebrews 4:15,16 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 06:32:47 AM »
"Jesus was the fountain of healing mercy for the world; and through all those secluded years at Nazareth, His life flowed out in currents of sympathy and tenderness. The aged, the sorrowing, and the sin-burdened, the children at play in their innocent joy, the little creatures of the groves, the patient beasts of burden,--all were happier for His presence. He whose word of power upheld the worlds would stoop to relieve a wounded bird. There was nothing beneath His notice, nothing to which He disdained to minister. 

......The more quiet and simple the life of the child,--the more free from artificial excitement, and the more in harmony with nature,--the more favorable is it to physical and mental vigor and to spiritual strength."

Doesn't the picture these words present bring calm and peace to the heart. Don't you feel an irresistible drawing to know Jesus not only as a man but as a child. For me the pull is stronger reading of his childhood years because I am then prepared to follow Him into His adult years already convicted, convinced and surrendered.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 08:08:48 AM »
"Thus as He grew in wisdom and stature, Jesus increased in favor with God and man. He drew the sympathy of all hearts by showing Himself capable of sympathizing with all. The atmosphere of hope and courage that surrounded Him made Him a blessing in every home. And often in the synagogue on the Sabbath day He was called upon to read the lesson from the prophets, and the hearts of the hearers thrilled as a new light shone out from the familiar words of the sacred text." {The Desire of Ages, page 74, paragraph 2}

I love that when we are abiding in Jesus that His experience becomes our experience. We can be sympathetic and kind with EVERYONE we meet; we can share the light of truth so that the hearts of our hearers will THRILL with joy as they realize new light shining out of passages with which they are familiar. God is constantly at work, constantly speaking His mercy and love anew! Let us listen and behold Jesus' in His infinite loveliness of character! He will work though us today so that others will truly know we have been with Jesus, for they will see that all of the fruits of the Spirit are in our lives and not one is missing as long as we choose not to let our minds wander from our precious Savior, and maintain a living connection with heaven by faith! Praise the Lord!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 01:55:38 AM »
I love spending time with Jesus! But you know what I love even more? Spending time with Jesus while I am at Michigan Camp Meeting! I love how He gives us an experiential familiarity with the phases of His character, and imbues us with His Spirit as we take to heart His life and lessons by beholding His loveliness of character!

I am so eternally gratefully for how Jesus came from His Father's throne above to come to this dark, sinful world to bear my burden of sin, and to experience the struggles, work and experiences through which we must pass in order to be brought into the heavenly home He has gone to prepare for us! As today is Father's Day, I appreciate my Heavenly Father's risk in sending Jesus, so I can be adopted into His family! I am also so grateful for the godly men that God has brought into my life that have "fathered" me and been a true blessing to me after my dad died in 2000 when I was 12. God more than compensates! He does exceedingly abundantly above all we can ask or think!!!

"The parents of Jesus were poor, and dependent upon their daily toil. He was familiar with poverty, self-denial, and privation. This experience was a safeguard to Him. In His industrious life there were no idle moments to invite temptation. No aimless hours opened the way for corrupting associations. So far as possible, He closed the door to the tempter. Neither gain nor pleasure, applause nor censure, could induce Him to consent to a wrong act. He was wise to discern evil, and strong to resist it." {The Desire of Ages, page 72, paragraph 1} 

One of the reasons I so love Camp Meeting is that my schedule of time is nearly incessantly filled with spiritual experiences, work for the Lord, and fellowship with others whom I get to share what Jesus is doing in my life! I love Camp Meeting because Jesus is here by His Spirit! He wakens morning by morning so we can have fresh manna from heaven to impart to others!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 06:08:25 AM »
Not only are we given instruction as to how to rear children, but we read the principles so important to us all who want to give honor and glory to God.

Thus to Jesus the significance of the word and the works of God was unfolded, as He was trying to understand the reason of things. Heavenly beings were His attendants, and the culture of holy thoughts and communings was His. From the first dawning of intelligence He was constantly growing in spiritual grace and knowledge of truth.
     Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spiritual things. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 04:57:36 AM »
What is the purpose of true education? It is to become like Christ in mind and character, to have all of our powers developed in harmony with His will, and to continually hear His voice speaking to our heart. Let us choose this kind of education for our own lives, and encourage the children and those of all ages to have that daily time to hear God speaking to the heart--so we can hear His voice throughout the day and walk with Him, having hearts full of His joy!

"In the days of Christ the town or city that did not provide for the religious instruction of the young was regarded as under the curse of God. Yet the teaching had become formal. Tradition had in a great degree supplanted the Scriptures. True education would lead the youth to 'seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after Him, and find Him.' Acts 17:27. But the Jewish teachers gave their attention to matters of ceremony. The mind was crowded with material that was worthless to the learner, and that would not be recognized in the higher school of the courts above. The experience which is obtained through a personal acceptance of God's word had no place in the educational system. Absorbed in the round of externals, the students found no quiet hours to spend with God. They did not hear His voice speaking to the heart. In their search after knowledge, they turned away from the Source of wisdom. The great essentials of the service of God were neglected. The principles of the law were obscured. That which was regarded as superior education was the greatest hindrance to real development. Under the training of the rabbis the powers of the youth were repressed. Their minds became cramped and narrow." {The Desire of Ages, page 69, paragraph 2}

We can learn from where Israel failed in its education of the youth where we need to direct true education now. All need to have those "quiet hours to spend with God." From these hours we will be refreshed, invigorated, and enabled to reflect Christ with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we develop in character from one degree of perfection to the next in obedience to all we know of God, experiencing transformation from glory to glory!

Dorine

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 05:30:34 AM »
"As a child, Jesus manifested a peculiar loveliness of disposition. His willing hands were ever ready to serve others. He manifested a patience that nothing could disturb, and a truthfulness that would never sacrifice integrity. In principle firm as a rock, His life revealed the grace of unselfish courtesy.     

With deep earnestness the mother of Jesus watched the unfolding of His powers, and beheld the impress of perfection upon His character. With delight she sought to encourage that bright, receptive mind. Through the Holy Spirit she received wisdom to co-operate with the heavenly agencies in the development of this child, who could claim only God as His Father." 

A Mother has such a huge responsibility in the development of her child's character. The Holy Spirit will do the same for any Mother today as
He did for Mary when she relies on Him for guidance. We live in a challenging world. Society has forced many Mother's out to work. Others who may or may not know Jesus are raising the children. We are seeing the sad results of this dilemma in various ways. My parenting days are gone but  the young are watching me. Do they see Jesus in me? Do they see that I possess the fruit of the Spirit in all situations? By God's grace I want to be a stepping stone for Him and not a stumbling block to the young and old alike.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean and Sister Dorine! God's grace is sufficient for us and the little ones. In our reading today we may learn that our trials are part of life, a good part in that they strengthen our character as we abide in Christ. God measures our trials each day. Nothing comes to us that God does not allow.

Such truth!!  How about the teaching that we may be like Jesus and when born we might live a sinless life without ever sinning. Such an un-Biblical thought. There is only one sinless One. There is something very important in understanding this. It does not mean we cannot become blameless, live a life free from sin after we are born again of the Spirit. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, that which  is born of the Spirit is Spirit. We must be born again of the Spirit in order to keep the commandments of God from the heart.

And, when we are born again and abiding in Christ we shall glory in our tribulations, for they will make us more patient and a better witness for Christ.

The positiveness and energy, the solidity and strength of character, manifested in Christ are to be developed in us, through the same discipline that He endured. And the grace that He received is for us. 

Amen!  It is grace that transforms sinners into saints! We are not given grace for tomorrow, only for today. Where can we find this grace? It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ. There we shall find grace  sufficient for all that comes upon us each day!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 03:03:23 AM »
Jesus lived in such a way that those who heard Him, those who spent time with Him, would have their minds lifted to the heavenly home. Our earthly exile may be filled with trials and experiences perplexing from time to time, but let us follow the example of Jesus and fix our focus on the unseen reality of eternity, the joy of heaven. And let us not leave all the joy for the future! We have an ever-present Savior whose loveliness will cheer and warm our hearts today to go forth to bless others, even as He did. May we become more like our Savior as we yield our hearts and minds unreservedly to His will!

Look unto Jesus:

"Often He expressed the gladness of His heart by singing psalms and heavenly songs. Often the dwellers in Nazareth heard His voice raised in praise and thanksgiving to God. He held communion with heaven in song; and as His companions complained of weariness from labor, they were cheered by the sweet melody from His lips. His praise seemed to banish the evil angels, and, like incense, fill the place with fragrance. The minds of His hearers were carried away from their earthly exile, to the heavenly home." {The Desire of Ages, page 73, paragraph 3}

As we sing praises to God, we can diffuse a heavenly influence and encourage others in the heavenward way! May this Sabbath be especially filled with songs that direct our experience heavenward!

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 05:43:00 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. I too was touched with this same paragraph. Especially the sentence that says; "His praise seemed to banish the evil angels, and, like incense, fill the place with fragrance." 

As a child and through my growing years my dear Mother would always say to me when I was under temptation, "sing a song about Jesus." I would often hear her singing to herself; 'The Old Rugged Cross, In the Garden, All to Jesus I surrender", and many other hymns that were dear to her. I didn't always appreciate them at the time but as I matured I learned to do the same thing. Any time I do that a sweet peace fills my soul and the temptation disappears.

This chapter is filled with what God can and will do for us when we ask.

"Every child may gain knowledge as Jesus did. As we try to become acquainted with our heavenly Father through His word, angels will draw near, our minds will be strengthened, our characters will be elevated and refined. We shall become more like our Saviour. And as we behold the beautiful and grand in nature, our affections go out after God. While the spirit is awed, the soul is invigorated by coming in contact with the Infinite through His works. Communion with God through prayer develops the mental and moral faculties, and the spiritual powers strengthen as we cultivate thoughts upon spiritual things."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 07:46:52 AM »
Amen. As we spend time with Jesus, we too will have our minds lifted high above this world. Love, joy, and peace will be the result of beholding Jesus. Let us spend more time with Jesus. It is the solution to all of our difficulties in this world.

Mothers especially need to spend time with Jesus if they have the responsibility of rearing children. There is no more important work than that of mother. Too often mothers, even when involved in ministry, neglect the responsibility of rearing a godly child. It takes time, energy, and wisdom to do this. If a woman is not willing to devote her time to rearing a child, then she ought not bring children into this dark blot in the universe.

With deep earnestness the mother of Jesus watched the unfolding of His powers, and beheld the impress of perfection upon His character. With delight she sought to encourage that bright, receptive mind. Through the Holy Spirit she received wisdom to co-operate with the heavenly agencies in the development of this child, who could claim only God as His Father. 

Mary delighted in her role of educating Her Son, the Son of God, that He might fulfill His role as Savior of the world. Likewise all mothers may delight in preparing their child to rightly represent the King of Kings. What a joy is the opportunity given to mothers!! We see the result of many mothers as we read of the godly men and women throughout Bible history.

It was a blessing to read Sister Dorine's comments about her memory of her mother's influence when singing hymns. That all mothers would sing hymns and teach their children to do the same!