Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--6--We Have Seen His Star  (Read 21865 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--6--We Have Seen His Star
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2022, 09:59:40 AM »
"Satan was bent on shutting out the divine light from the world, and he used his utmost cunning to destroy the Saviour. But He who never slumbers nor sleeps was watching over His beloved Son. He who had rained manna from heaven for Israel and had fed Elijah in the time of famine provided in a heathen land a refuge for Mary and the child Jesus. And through the gifts of the magi from a heathen country, the Lord supplied the means for the journey into Egypt and the sojourn in a land of strangers."

And we may know because of how God has led us in the past that he is watching over each of His faithful followers and will be with us through all the trials yet to come and to the very end. I love these bible stories. They bring me such hope and assurance of God's guidance and care in the lives of His people.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2022, 08:10:24 PM »
"The Eastern country abounded in precious things, and the magi did not set out empty-handed. "

"It was the custom to offer presents as an act of homage to princes or other personages of rank, and the richest gifts the land afforded were borne as an offering to Him in whom all the families of the earth were to be blessed."

"It was necessary to journey by night in order to keep the star in view; but the travelers beguiled the hours by repeating traditional sayings and prophetic utterances concerning the One they sought."

"At every pause for rest they searched the prophecies; and the conviction deepened that they were divinely guided."

"While they had the star before them as an outward sign, they had also the inward evidence of the Holy Spirit, which was impressing their hearts, and inspiring them with hope."

"The journey, though long, was a happy one to them."

In 2022 we know that the coming of the Lord is Near!! The signs of the times are fast fulfilling, and we have been told..." That the Final Movements will be Rapid Ones."  My Prayer is that "WE " will be just as dedicated in our preparation to meet Jesus as were these Wise Men. May we also recognize that there are many who will respond who are not currently members of God's Remnant Church who with Heart & Soul, both Spiritually and Financially, join with God's Remnant Church. Even So Come Lord Jesus. 

====================

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2022, 04:20:53 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

When we realize that Jesus' birth is also a promise of what we may receive by faith, the story of His incarnation takes on a whole new meaning! When we are truly converted, "born of water and of the Spirit" (John 3:3), all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest without one missing (Galatians 5:22-23) as we affectionately obey God's law of love (John 14:15, Exodus 20:1-17) from a heart made pure and holy (Ezekiel 36:26) by the atoning blood of Christ (Hebrews 9:22)! The key to victory is abiding (John 15:1-5) in our new identity in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17) as "kings and priests" (Revelation 1:6) who get to serve the Lord throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity!

"Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the East to Jerusalem, saying, Where is He that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen His star in the East, and are come to worship Him." {The Desire of Ages, page 59, paragraph 1} 
     "The wise men from the East were philosophers. They belonged to a large and influential class that included men of noble birth, and comprised much of the wealth and learning of their nation. Among these were many who imposed on the credulity of the people. Others were upright men who studied the indications of Providence in nature, and who were honored for their integrity and wisdom. Of this character were the wise men who came to Jesus." {The Desire of Ages, page 59, paragraph 2}

May we walk in the same wisdom to find Jesus today in every experience of life where we gladly go forth to bless others and share the glad tidings of the everlasting gospel call in the context of the Three Angels' Messages of Revelation 14 as Jesus is coming again!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2022, 06:59:34 AM »
"The magi had been among the first to welcome the Redeemer. Their gift was the first that was laid at His feet. And through that gift, what privilege of ministry was theirs! The offering from the heart that loves, God delights to honor, giving it highest efficiency in service for Him. If we have given our hearts to Jesus, we also shall bring our gifts to Him. Our gold and silver, our most precious earthly possessions, our highest mental and spiritual endowments, will be freely devoted to Him who loved us, and gave Himself for us."

Selfishness struggles to survive for it wants the best to enjoy. That is not the spirit of Jesus nor is it the desire of the one who is surrendered to God. Everything we have and are belongs to God so it is our greatest joy to give our best to His work for the ministry of others.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2022, 08:56:36 AM »
God sent His Son into this world to save us. He came to His own and His own put His on the cross. God could not trust His Son with men so He sent angels to protect Him. But even among the heathen there were those who were seeking to know Him who gave all for us. Is it not amazing that those to whom much has been given, neglect to appreciate what we have been given? 

The light of God is ever shining amid the darkness of heathenism. As these magi studied the starry heavens, and sought to fathom the mystery hidden in their bright paths, they beheld the glory of the Creator. Seeking clearer knowledge, they turned to the Hebrew Scriptures. In their own land were treasured prophetic writings that predicted the coming of a divine teacher. Balaam belonged to the magicians, though at one time a prophet of God; by the Holy Spirit he had foretold the prosperity of Israel and the appearing of the Messiah; and his prophecies had been handed down by tradition from century to century. But in the Old Testament the Saviour's advent was more clearly revealed. The magi learned with joy that His coming was near, and that the whole world was to be filled with a knowledge of the glory of the Lord. 

So it is today, God will help us find those seeking the truth that they may join with us in proclaiming the soon coming of Jesus.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2022, 08:24:25 PM »
"The offering from the heart that loves, God delights to honor...

"Giving it highest efficiency in service for Him."

"If we have given our hearts to Jesus, we also shall bring our gifts to Him."

"Our gold and silver, our most precious earthly possessions."

"Our highest mental and spiritual endowments, will be freely devoted to Him who loved us, and gave Himself for us."

We sing the song " ALL TO JESUS I SURRENDER " When we are in church, but that little word  " ALL " Should Be Inclusive of every aspect of our daily lives. So " WE " must ask "OURSELVES" , Is this true every day in " MY LIFE"  ??  Or is it just "LIP SERVICE" when we are in church?

========================

Earthly pleasures vainly call me,
  I would be like Jesus;
Nothing worldly shall enthrall me,
  I would be like Jesus.
    Be like Jesus, this my song,
  In the home and in the throng;
Be like Jesus, all day long!
    I would be like Jesus.
He has broken every fetter,
  I would be like Jesus;
That my soul may serve Him better,
  I would be like Jesus.
All the way from earth to glory,
  I would be like Jesus;
Telling o’er and o’er the story,
  I would be like Jesus.

Lyrics:James Rowe (1866-1933)
Music:Bentley DeForest Ackley (1872-1958)

Dorine

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2022, 05:47:52 AM »
"Satan was bent on shutting out the divine light from the world, and he used his utmost cunning to destroy the Saviour. But He who never slumbers nor sleeps was watching over His beloved Son. He who had rained manna from heaven for Israel and had fed Elijah in the time of famine provided in a heathen land a refuge for Mary and the child Jesus. And through the gifts of the magi from a heathen country, the Lord supplied the means for the journey into Egypt and the sojourn in a land of strangers."

We have a God who is forever watching over His people. May our hearts be so fully surrendered to Him that whatever His plan is for our lives we will be perfectly content. Life brings heartache and troubles, pain and suffering just as it did for Jesus. Through it all we know that we have a Saviour that understands and cares. We are strengthened and encouraged in our walk with Him. May we be vessels filled with the Spirit of God to let the world see that serving God is the only way to peace and happiness amid the sufferings of this life.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2022, 06:53:15 AM »
We live in a fallen world, and God does not bid us to seek great things for ourselves, but to seek Him. He is drawing us to Himself. When we fully acquiesce to His will as revealed in His word, we find rest and peace in our hearts and all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing flow in as a result of a living union and communion with Christ. Christ empowers us to affectionately obey Him so we can be a blessing to others. The wise men who sought Christ were being drawn by the Holy Spirit, and today the Holy Spirit is drawing souls to Him so we can happily persevere in our journey towards heaven!

"As by faith Abraham went forth at the call of God, 'not knowing whither he went' (Hebrews 11:8); as by faith Israel followed the pillar of cloud to the Promised Land, so did these Gentiles go forth to find the promised Saviour. The Eastern country abounded in precious things, and the magi did not set out empty-handed. It was the custom to offer presents as an act of homage to princes or other personages of rank, and the richest gifts the land afforded were borne as an offering to Him in whom all the families of the earth were to be blessed. It was necessary to journey by night in order to keep the star in view; but the travelers beguiled the hours by repeating traditional sayings and prophetic utterances concerning the One they sought. At every pause for rest they searched the prophecies; and the conviction deepened that they were divinely guided. While they had the star before them as an outward sign, they had also the inward evidence of the Holy Spirit, which was impressing their hearts, and inspiring them with hope. The journey, though long, was a happy one to them." {The Desire of Ages, page 60, paragraph 2}

Whatever God leads us to, He will lead us through, as by grace through faith we may be partakers of the divine nature and overcome the world, the flesh and the devil by the same power Christ relied upon--the word of God! Let us treasure each moment as a treasure to be employed for holy purposes, so others will be drawn to Christ by our life and example! "Christ in you, the hope of glory" offers you a new heart and mind. Let us abide in Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2022, 10:01:36 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! That all would appreciate the Gift offered to all! By faith the wise men believed, by faith Abraham believed, and by faith Jesus took the sins of the whole world upon Himself. Imagine His Father allowing Him to come into this wicked world where Satan claimed dominion! He came a helpless baby into a world where he was not safe even amid His  chosen people who put Him and the cross.   

Such was the Saviour's reception when He came to the earth. There seemed to be no place of rest or safety for the infant Redeemer. God could not trust His beloved Son with men, even while carrying forward His work for their salvation. He commissioned angels to attend Jesus and protect Him till He should accomplish His mission on earth, and die by the hands of those whom He came to save.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2022, 08:07:50 PM »
"The Eastern country abounded in precious things, and the magi did not set out empty-handed."

"It was the custom to offer presents as an act of homage to princes or other personages of rank, and the richest gifts the land afforded were borne as an offering to Him in whom all the families of the earth were to be blessed "

"It was necessary to journey by night in order to keep the star in view; but the travelers beguiled the hours by repeating traditional sayings and prophetic utterances concerning the One they sought."

"At every pause for rest they searched the prophecies."

"The conviction deepened that they were divinely guided."

"While they had the star before them as an outward sign, they had also the inward evidence of the Holy Spirit, which was impressing their hearts, and inspiring them with hope."

Can we say the same thing about our journey. Are we as focused as they were?? Is our desire the same as their's??

==================================

Fairest Lord Jesus!
  Ruler of all nature!
O Thou of God and man the Son!
  Thee will I cherish,
  Thee will I honor,
Thou, my soul’s glory, joy, and crown!
Fair are the meadows
  Fairer still the woodlands,
Robed in the blooming garb of spring;
  Jesus is fairer,
  Jesus is purer,
Who makes the woeful heart to sing!
Fair is the sunshine,
  Fairer still the moonlight,
And all the twinkling starry host;
  Jesus shines brighter,
  Jesus shines purer,
Than all the angels heav’n can boast!
All fairest beauty,
  Heavenly and earthly,
Wondrously, Jesus, is found in Thee;
  None can be nearer,
  Fairer, or dearer,
Than Thou my Savior art to me.

Lyrics:German (17th Century)
Music:Schleisische Volkslieder (1842)

Philip T

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2022, 08:47:47 AM »
  • Soldiers were at once sent to Bethlehem, with orders to put to death all the children of two years and under. The quiet homes of the city of David witnessed those scenes of horror that, six hundred years before, had been opened to the prophet. "In Ramah was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not."
          This calamity the Jews had brought upon themselves. If they had been walking in faithfulness and humility before God, He would in a signal manner have made the wrath of the king harmless to them. But they had separated themselves from God by their sins, and had rejected the Holy Spirit, which was their only shield.They had not studied the Scriptures with a desire to conform to the will of God. They had searched for prophecies which could be interpreted to exalt themselves, and to show how God despised all other nations. It was their proud boast that the Messiah was to come as a king, conquering His enemies, and treading down the heathen in His wrath. Thus they had excited the hatred of their rulers. Through their misrepresentation of Christ's mission, Satan had purposed to compass the destruction of the Saviour; but instead of this, it returned upon their own heads.

Do we walk in faith and humility with Jesus having surrendered all to Him. Do we spend time in the scriptures and is prayer every day with the thirst for Knowledge without preconceived ideas that would deceive us in the understanding of what we read. We need to live our lives in total surrender to God, so the Holy Spirit can move on our minds, inspire us and bring us to true understanding of God's word.[/list]

Beacon

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2022, 09:44:17 AM »
The Desire of Ages--6--We Have Seen His Star
« Reply #90 on: Today at 12:07:50 AM »

"The Eastern country abounded in precious things, and the magi did not set out empty-handed."

"It was the custom to offer presents as an act of homage to princes or other personages of rank, and the richest gifts the land afforded were borne as an offering to Him in whom all the families of the earth were to be blessed "

"At every pause for rest they searched the prophecies."

"The conviction deepened that they were divinely guided."

Can we say the same thing about our journey. Are we as focused as they were?? Is our desire the same as their's??

==================================

Fairest Lord Jesus!
  Ruler of all nature!
O Thou of God and man the Son!
  Thee will I cherish,
  Thee will I honor,
Thou, my soul’s glory, joy, and crown!
Fair are the meadows
  Fairer still the woodlands,
Robed in the blooming garb of spring;
  Jesus is fairer,
  Jesus is purer,
Who makes the woeful heart to sing!
Fair is the sunshine,
  Fairer still the moonlight,
And all the twinkling starry host;
  Jesus shines brighter,
  Jesus shines purer,
Than all the angels heav’n can boast!
All fairest beauty,
  Heavenly and earthly,
Wondrously, Jesus, is found in Thee;
  None can be nearer,
  Fairer, or dearer,
Than Thou my Savior art to me.

Lyrics:German (17th Century)
Music:Schleisische Volkslieder (1842)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2022, 06:33:55 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!!

Let us remember how Jesus was received on earth and let it comfort us if we are not always received favorably when Christ lives in us. He was persecuted because His life revealed the love of God, and as the love of God flows from our hearts that are truly converted in Christ in complete surrender, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives without one missing! God will empower us to obey God even if our life is threatened with death! Let us be faithful to the end by abiding in Jesus' love and keeping uppermost in our mind His grace and love to us!

"Such was the Saviour's reception when He came to the earth. There seemed to be no place of rest or safety for the infant Redeemer. God could not trust His beloved Son with men, even while carrying forward His work for their salvation. He commissioned angels to attend Jesus and protect Him till He should accomplish His mission on earth, and die by the hands of those whom He came to save." {The Desire of Ages, page 67, paragraph 2}

Jesus is coming soon and we can rejoice in His goodness to us to save us from sin and prepare a heavenly mansion for each of us! Even if this earth does not provide the kind of rest or safety we would desire, we have Jesus as an Example as one who passed through this life without sin because He kept trusting His Father at each step. Let our Heavenly Father lead each day and you will experience the victory of Jesus!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2022, 06:35:20 AM »
Amen my dear brothers!!  How very sad that Jesus had no place to lay His head where he could rest.

Such was the Saviour's reception when He came to the earth. There seemed to be no place of rest or safety for the infant Redeemer. God could not trust His beloved Son with men, even while carrying forward His work for their salvation. He commissioned angels to attend Jesus and protect Him till He should accomplish His mission on earth, and die by the hands of those whom He came to save.

The leaders of Israel were no better than Herod. Having been entrusted with the truth, they were more guilty.

Beacon

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2022, 08:03:27 PM »
"The magi had been among the first to welcome the Redeemer"

"Their gift was the first that was laid at His feet."

"Through that gift, what privilege of ministry was theirs! "

"The offering from the heart that loves, God delights to honor, giving it highest efficiency in service for Him."

"If we have given our hearts to Jesus, we also shall bring our gifts to Him."

"Our gold and silver, our most precious earthly possessions, our highest mental and spiritual endowments, will be freely devoted to Him who loved us, and gave Himself for us."

====================
Have Thine own way, Lord,
  Have Thine own way;
Thou art the Potter,
  I am the clay.
Mould me and make me
  After Thy will,
While I am waiting,
  Yielded and still.
  Have Thine own way;
Search me and try me,
  Master, today.
Whiter than snow, Lord,
  Wash me just now,
As in Thy presence
  Humbly I bow.
  Have Thine own way;
Wounded and weary,
  Help me, I pray.
Power, all power,
  Surely is Thine,
Touch me and heal me,
  Savior divine.
  Have Thine own way;
Hold o’er my being
  Absolute sway.
Fill with Thy Spirit
  Till all shall see
Christ only, always,
  Living in me.

Lyrics:Adelaide Addison Pollard (1862-1934)
Music:George Coles Stebbins (1846-1945)

Dorine

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2022, 06:42:55 AM »
Now pride and envy closed the door against the light. If the reports brought by the shepherds and the wise men were credited, they would place the priests and rabbis in a most unenviable position, disproving their claim to be the exponents of the truth of God. These learned teachers would not stoop to be instructed by those whom they termed heathen. It could not be, they said, that God had passed them by, to communicate with ignorant shepherds or uncircumcised Gentiles. They determined to show their contempt for the reports that were exciting King Herod and all Jerusalem. They would not even go to Bethlehem to see whether these things were so. And they led the people to regard the interest in Jesus as a fanatical excitement. Here began the rejection of Christ by the priests and rabbis. From this point their pride and stubbornness grew into a settled hatred of the Saviour. While God was opening the door to the Gentiles, the Jewish leaders were closing the door to themselves.

When we seek to know God's will there will be no room for pride for our hearts will be filled with the Holy Spirit and every fruit of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives. If the rulers in Jesus day had been studying the scriptures with open hearts to know His will what a different outcome there would have been. Many lessons for each of us today.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2022, 06:59:15 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

What can we give to God? Let's look at the example of the Magi and remember that it brings joy to God when we give Him the best we have! After surrendering our sin-polluted heart to Jesus so He can purify and cleanse it by His blood, we can receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit so all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are manifest! Then, from a truly converted experience, we will gladly go forward in offering the best talents and gifts we have to worship the Lord in Spirit and in truth!

"The magi had been among the first to welcome the Redeemer. Their gift was the first that was laid at His feet. And through that gift, what privilege of ministry was theirs! The offering from the heart that loves, God delights to honor, giving it highest efficiency in service for Him. If we have given our hearts to Jesus, we also shall bring our gifts to Him. Our gold and silver, our most precious earthly possessions, our highest mental and spiritual endowments, will be freely devoted to Him who loved us, and gave Himself for us." {The Desire of Ages, page 65, paragraph 2}

When we go all-out for God, we do it because He went all-out for us in giving us His Son! "We love Him, because He first loved us" (1 John 4:19). Go forth today to let the love of Christ through you bless others! 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2022, 11:18:20 AM »
Amen my dear friends. There are two groups in this world, those who are seeking truth and those who are not. God is removing His Spirit from the word, but is pouring out His Spirit upon all who are seeking truth. Like the wise men from the East, there are many today who are not Christians, but seeking to know God.

The light of God is ever shining amid the darkness of heathenism. As these magi studied the starry heavens, and sought to fathom the mystery hidden in their bright paths, they beheld the glory of the Creator. Seeking clearer knowledge, they turned to the Hebrew Scriptures. In their own land were treasured prophetic writings that predicted the coming of a divine teacher. Balaam belonged to the magicians, though at one time a prophet of God; by the Holy Spirit he had foretold the prosperity of Israel and the appearing of the Messiah; and his prophecies had been handed down by tradition from century to century. But in the Old Testament the Saviour's advent was more clearly revealed. The magi learned with joy that His coming was near, and that the whole world was to be filled with a knowledge of the glory of the Lord. 

Let us find those who are truly searching for truth.

Beacon

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2023, 08:04:39 PM »
"It was the custom to offer presents as an act of homage to princes or other personages of rank, and the richest gifts the land afforded were borne as an offering to Him in whom all the families of the earth were to be blessed."

"At every pause for rest they searched the prophecies; and the conviction deepened that they were divinely guided. While they had the star before them as an outward sign, they had also the inward evidence of the Holy Spirit, which was impressing their hearts, and inspiring them with hope."

No doubt "WE" also are tempted to think that the Journey Is Long but we can see by this story lesson that it had a triumphant conclusion and was well worth the trip. So it may be with us also, if we keep our mission and purpose in focus on Jesus.

=====================
All the way my Savior leads me;
  What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
  Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
  Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
  Jesus doeth all things well,
For I know, whate’er befall me,
  Jesus doeth all things well.
All the way my Savior leads me,
  Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for every trial,
  Feeds me with the living bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
  And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
  Lo! a spring of joy I see,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
  Lo! a spring of joy I see.
All the way my Savior leads me;
  Oh, the fullness of His grace!
Perfect rest to me is promised
  In my Father’s blest embrace.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
  Wings its flight to realms of day,
This my song through endless ages:
  Jesus led me all the way,
This my song through endless ages:
  Jesus led me all the way.

Lyrics:Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915) bio
Music:Robert Lowry (1826-1899)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2023, 04:33:33 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Happy Sabbath!!

God ALWAYS provides!!

“Satan was bent on shutting out the divine light from the world, and he used his utmost cunning to destroy the Saviour. But He who never slumbers nor sleeps was watching over His beloved Son. He who had rained manna from heaven for Israel and had fed Elijah in the time of famine provided in a heathen land a refuge for Mary and the child Jesus. And through the gifts of the magi from a heathen country, the Lord supplied the means for the journey into Egypt and the sojourn in a land of strangers.” {The Desire of Ages, page 65, paragraph 1}