Author Topic: Does playing certain roles affect the actors?  (Read 2099 times)

Paul Beach

Does playing certain roles affect the actors?
« on: February 19, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
I just came across this article from a link on the Drudge Report (a great site to check at [Link expired, sorry]   But the actual story was from the New York Post.

I periodically run into some of the top actors and actresses in the community where I live, and most of them are very personable and friendly.  But could it be that certain roles can make a person identify too closely with the characters and even, possibly, turn them into the characters they play, at least psychologically?

Anthony Hopkins is considered by critics one of the best actors ever in terms of how convincing his characters are, (I've only seen his film about C.S. Lewis), but apparently his role as Hannibal and similar roles throughout the year may have pushed him over the edge.

I have several friends who saw Hannibal and who told me separately that they couldn't eat after watching the film.  I've also read that the leading actress in the film had to see a psychiatrist after playing the role because it was so traumatic.

Anyway, I thought this article was interesting:
[Link expired, sorry]

[This message has been edited by Wendy (edited 08-07-2001).]

Wendy

• http://www.megspace.com/religion/cainan/
Does playing certain roles affect the actors?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
Well, we know the Bible says that by beholding you become changed. I can only image what being that person for the length of time it takes to make a film can do to you. Especially if you're shaky to begin with.

------------------
Maranatha! :)

[This message has been edited by Wendy (edited 02-19-2001).]

WendyL ~ Maranatha!:)