Author Topic: Lesson # 6, Putting the Past Behind You  (Read 9398 times)

Clive Nevell

• http://
Lesson # 6, Putting the Past Behind You
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004, 02:58:00 AM »
John 5:14

"Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you."

Jesus does not tell us the sin he continued to do or had been doing but told the man to stop sinning.

Clive

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 03:57:00 AM »
Thursday, The Greatest Witness to Jesus
John 5`31-47

As a witness for Christ, John entered into no controversy, no wearisome contention.  He declared what he knew, what he had seen and heard.  When insult was put upon Christ, John felt it to the very depths of his being.  Christ had humbled himself, he had taken man's nature, but few could see him as John saw him.  For John, the darkness had passed away.  On him the true Light was shining.  YI 03-29-00

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 05:31:00 AM »
The words of Christ to the Parisees come home with power to every living soul to whom the light of the Sun of Righteousness has been revealed.  To those who have caught a glimpse of celestial truth, to whom have come some rays of enlightenment, is the warning given.  For your souls' sake do not turn away and be disobedient to the heavenly vision.  You may have seen something in regard to the righteousness of Christ but there is truth yet to be seen clearly and that should be estimated by you as precious as rare jewels....The atonement made by the stupendous sacrifie of Jesus Christ, will be seen by you in an altogether different light.  You will see sin in its heinous character.  But this the Jews did not desire to see.

Although the men whom he was then personlly addressing had not heard the voice, yet they had heard the report, and knew that the testimony of John was not borne in the corner.  John's testimony had been positive, had been given in the demonstration of the Spirit and with power.  He had testified of what his eyes had seen, of what his ears had heard, of what his hand had handled, of the word of life.    Jesus said, 'there is another that beareth witness of me, and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.'  The scribes and Pharisees had believed the words of John at the time, but pride and unbelief worked in their hearts after Satan's order, and envy, jealousy, and downright hatred of Christ were revealed.  ST Nov. 13, 1893

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2004, 06:47:00 AM »
Friday  JESUS, MIGHTY TO SAVE   Romans 6:23
“The wages of sin is death….”

Oh, that a right impression might be made upon the minds of young and old in regard to the exceeding sinfulness of sin! Oh, that all might have a just realization of its offensiveness to God, and its injury to mankind!  The real character of every act of your life will be made known.  It may be even in this life that through the providence of God, some unexpected circumstance will uncover your secret deeds of evil, but should you succeed in hiding your real character from the eyes of men, there is an inevitable day of exposure reserved for every soul who does not repent of his sins and forsake all evil through the strength of Christ, who has died that we might live.

The Bible presents the law of God as a perfect standard by which to shape the life and character.  The only perfect example of obedience to its precepts, is found in the Son of God. The Saviour of lost mankind….

Let faith lay hold on the promises of God,  Jesus is mighty to save his people from their sins.  Light from heaven has illumined our pathway.  Sin has been revealed to us by the word and the spirit of truth, that we may not be found transgressors of the divine precepts; and there is no opportunity to plead the excuse of ignorance. We must reach a higher plane.  We must hunger and thirst after righteousness.  Let the cry go out to God for wisdom, for light, for divine power….We are in the perils of the last days, the Judgment is before us, and how shall we appear who have had light from the heavenly Sanctuary, unless we  “cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit” and perfect “holiness in the fear of God!”   RH 03-27-88

“No sorrow, no agony, can measure with that which was endured by the Son of God .  Man has not been made a sin-bearer, and he will never know the horror of the curse of sin which the Saviour bore.  No sorrow can bear any comparison with the sorrow of Him upon whom the wrath of God fell with overwhelming force…..”    BTS 09-01.15

The cross of Calvary, while it declares the law immutable, proclaims to the universe that the wages of sin is death. In the Saviour's expiring cry "It is finished," the death knell of Satan was rung.  The great controversy which had been so long in progress was then decided, and the final eradication of evil was made wertain. FLB361

Curt

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2004, 10:01:00 AM »
Sis. Ele, welcome you are a real spirit filled addition to the team. The forum is bblessed by your sharing. Brother Clive knows he is too  :)

Speaking about The Pool of Bethesda. Does anyone have any information on the pool, when and why this healing activity was placed there and why the method of "troubling the water"? How much time one had to be in the pool before the healing effect was lost?

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »
God spoke and man was created. It is not so easy to "re-create" man. It is indeed a mighty power that restores the image of God in man. When we understand what it truly means to be converted or "born again", we realize how great is the power of God's grace.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Clive Nevell

• http://
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »
Happy Sabbath to everyone here. Curt has asked a good question but I do not have the answer to it.

Summary:   "Jesus came to this earth to show how God would act within the human context of this world. By healing the paralytic at the pool of Bethesda, Jesus demonstrated that He is not limited by time or by the quality of the material He has to work with. He also showed that He is not satisfied to heal only the physical or spiritual side of a person. He wants to restore the entire person." (Friday's Lesson"

Jesus was interested in the man's condition but it is our heart He wants to heal, just like the man that was healed by the pool.

Clive

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »
Concerning brother Curts question. When the subject ever comes up in lessons at Church the throught is given out that the water was not touched by a angel. And I feel this is correct due to the reasoning that God would not have a part in such ill people fighting to be first. Everything Jesus taught goes against this, and also the thought that the strongest is the one to always win in getting in the pool, or the one with family or friend to help him in, leaving those who had no one and were so weak.

Other than this I highly doubt that there was any certian time that healing came from any natural causes, and was not there other times.

I have wondered about the answer to this question also. It seems more like a Tradition instead of anything real. But then I ask, how could this Tradition go on if time and time again people went in and were not healed? So I don't know. But the above is the best way I can deal with it. In heaven I will ask however, if indeed it is even important enough to ask about once our feet walk the streets of gold.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Curt

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »
The Pool -
this pool according to the Lesson Study and Spirit of prophecy was something of man's imagination. Neither the Bible nor Spirit of Prophecy identifies it as an act of healing established by God. It never made sense to me that Angels would be used to "play" with people by stirring up the waters and seeing who got in first to heal them. The author made a good point that God will not put a facility that is biased against those weaker perons who could not get to the pool.
Another source and I beleive the bible commentary as well state that this verse John 5:4 was "added" much later than the original writing and during the translation, possibly to clarify what was the thought or understanding of the people to the pool at that time.
Problem with this is that as a child growing up to now the story is stil told to children and adults as though the "healing" properties of the pool was real.  :(

As Beverley highlighted in class today, this man was much older than christ, his years of illness from sin were 38 years while Christ was 30 or 31 at the time of the event. Christ knew of this man at the pool before he came to earth as a child and before his ministry.  :) God knows your situation too  :)  :)  :)

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Sister Marie

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »
That point came out in our S.S. lesson today also, that this verse was added much later and was never a part of the original text. That helps us to understand it better too. This sounds more like something the Romens would believe to me.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Brad

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »
Is there a source that shows that text being added later? It does seem out of place but if somebody asks about it, we just can't say that it was added later without a source.

Sister Marie

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2004, 07:02:00 PM »
It was explained to me this way. The Kings James Bible came from the Latin Volgate and the Septuagint. Both come from the Original Hebrew and Greek. And when you go back to the Original Hebrew and Greek that verse is not in there about how the angel stirred  the waters.  So they can only believe that it was added later.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie