Author Topic: Lesson #8...Apples of Gold  (Read 5649 times)

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Lesson #8...Apples of Gold
« on: November 19, 2000, 03:43:00 AM »
M.V.  Proverbs 25:11 "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold".

THE CAPACITY TO LISTEN IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE CAPACITY TO SPEAK!

Teacher's Aim:
1. To understand more fully the power that words possess!
2.To recognize that we need jesus to make lasting changes in the words we speak.
3.To recognize that God's words have power unto life.

Sunday: The Power of the Tongue!
James 3:2-12
 It's interesting to note that "the tongue is a little member, and boasts great things"(v.5), "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity (v6) ""But the tongue no man can tame...full of deadly poison"(v.8).

Perhaps we should "cut" the tongue out, seeing as it is so corrupt, OR PERHAPS there is another problem?

Is the tongue "mirroring" what the heart thinks? Methinks we need a "HEART TRANSPLANT"! (See Proverbs 4:23)

How do we obtain a new heart?

And I've been thinking!! ("AS a man thinks in his heart so is he"-Prov 23:7)

As Moderators, INDEED posters, we need to be VERY careful in WHAT we post, HOW we post, and TO WHO(M) we post.

I believe one of the GREATEST PROBLEMS we humans have is IMPROPER COMMUNICATION. More problems result from HOW others take "our" means of talking, and "teist" to accomodate their thinking.
I'm sure all of us have been MISunderstood by others in what we "MEAN TO SAY", but the "words don't come out right"!

And hopefully, YOu can see that I am NOT judging anyone by my posts right now!

I hesitate to get involved in other forums, because of INFLAMED REMARKS...of course some of the posters are looking for argument or debate, others are looking for honest answers...and I BELIEVE ALL OF US have a "moral responsibility (before God)" in our replies.

Having said the above, sometimes WE have a responsibility to reply to a "challenge" as to what the SDA Church (of which one is a member) believes and teaches!

Remember "He that is in US, is GREATER than he that is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

------------------
Keep "the" faith,BUT pass it around!

Bro. Laurie

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

charlene

• http://
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2000, 04:48:00 AM »

-BOOK-     Luke
6:45  "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil:
for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."

S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 3--- Proverbs
-PG- 1157
    23 (1 Thess. 5:17; see EGW on Ps. 19:14). How Hearts May Be Kept for
God. -"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." Diligent heart-keeping is essential to a healthy growth in grace. The heart in its natural state is a habitation for unholy thoughts and sinful passions. When brought into subjection to Christ, it must be cleansed by the Spirit from all defilement. This can not be done without the consent of the individual."

I see this as a warning of "guarding the avenues of the soul"   What we let come into our lives, effects what comes out of our lives in our actions, thoughts, deeds and words.

Matt. 12:37    "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemmed"

Education  pg 30    par.1

"These principles become a living power to shape the character, through the acquaintance of the soul with Christ, through an  acceptance of His wisdom as the guide, His power as the strength, of heart and life. This union formed, the student has found the Source of wisdom. He has within his reach the power to realize in himself his noblest ideals. The opportunities of the highest education for life in this world are his. And in the training here gained, he is entering upon that course which embraces eternity."

------------------
charlene

charlene

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2000, 10:12:00 AM »
Amen and amen!   :)

Such precious promises!  Things begin to make a lof of sense when we see our great need and His great power to fill our needs.  :)

Silence is sometimes "golden". Maybe much more than we realize.  :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Clive Nevell

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2000, 10:45:00 AM »
We had a church picnic yesterday (Sunday) so have been a bit late starting, thanks for your comments.
We can all say Amen to silence is golden.
Let me share what I heard yesterday that relates to this lesson in particular "Silence is Golden"
The bus driver introduced himself as a person who many years ago attended church at Harrisville and spoke very kindly of his days at Harrisville Church and of going out as a young person to visit many of the members, but is now going to the Baptist Church at Ipswich. He made the comment that God loves everyone, no one could argue with that. Afterwards I spoke to our head elder and asked why he never became a member as listening to him on the way down he could be a real asset to our church. Well the answer was different to what I ever expected it to be. When he was young and was coming here he wanted to get baptised and the was told he was not ready, he broke down and cried and pleaded for baptism but was refused. I do not know the circumstances of his life at the time so I can not judge the person in that regards, but perhaps if "Silence is Golden" had of been the answer instead of no we may have had Bill with us today and not going to the Baptist Church. Why not answer with a lets have a baptisimal class and study?
The power of the tongue is so great. Words cannot be retrieved.
Clive

Clive Nevell

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2000, 09:43:00 AM »
Matt.12:34-37. Jesus tells us that words are very important as they refect to those that we come in contact with what is in our "hearts" Vs 37 adds the thought nthat our eternal destiny rests with what we say.
James 3:4-6. Is saying to us that what we say influences our thinking, first what we say reflects what we think-our "heart". Then what we say reinforces our thinking.
We must have a changed heart, we should whatch what we say to help infuence our heart the right way. This is an area of worksthat we must understand has an impact on our faith. We cannot change our heart, only God can do that. But, we can determine to limit the damage that our words do to our thinking. Realizing that the tongue can trigger a forest fire (Vs 5). How careful one must be.
How about people who say?
"I speak my mind"
Is this an acceptable way of getting around the damage that words cause?
Clive

Laurie Mosher

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2000, 04:22:00 AM »
  Speaking of "Speaking my mind", I used to have the same problem...problem was MY mouth was ahead of my brain". I kept getting "foot and mouth disease". (still do sometimes). Quite often I'd open my mouth to exchange feet.

BuT (maybe I'm getting wiser) I decided to follow God's Word, and learn of Him. Afterall Jesus is MY/our example in ALL things, is He not?

Now when confronted by a situation, I generally ask myself "What would Jesus do in this circumstance?". and if we would but meditate upon God's word, and ask for help, I believe God will give us the answers.

I believe ALL of us can be helps to each other OR STUMBLING BLOCKS. And I have to tell you this, Brother Richard has helped me along this roadway. Thanks Brother! Something to the effect,
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" Proverbs 15:1

Perhaps we can also realize the promise Jesus gives us in Philippians 4:13 "I CAN do ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST which (who) strengthens me."

------------------

Bro. Laurie

charlene

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2000, 06:04:00 AM »
I am sure everyone has played the game, "GOSSIP".  you whisper a short sentence to your neighbor and in turn they whisper the same sentence to their neighbor and at the end of the line...the last person repeats the sentence.  It has usually been changed, somtimes it is repeated and changed over and over till the last sentence has no likeness to the original. Each one had a way of interpreting the words of the sentence...thus the meaning is changed. When this "gossip" is applied to the character of a person or a church, it can turn into being a "false witness. Even if you are sincere, be sure of the facts for it is possible to be 'sincerely wrong".  

Have you heard, "you should always be sincere, if you mean it or not!"

-BOOK-     Proverbs
26:28  A lying tongue hateth [those that are] afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.

Encouragement should not come in the form of flattery.  The SOP points out that praise fosters pride. Praise, focuses on the person and lifts up the person instead of God. Good does not come from a person...it comes from God thru a person. Don't let anyone steal the reward God has for those that do good "in secret" for their reward is in heaven.

Christ's Object Lessons---PG- 161
    "We need to shun everything that would encourage pride and self-sufficiency; therefore we should beware of giving or receiving flattery or praise. It is Satan's work to flatter. He deals in flattery as well as in accusing and condemnation. Thus he seeks to work the ruin of the soul. Those [162] who give praise to men are used by Satan as his agents. Let the workers for Christ direct every word of praise away
from themselves. Let self be put out of  sight. Christ alone is to be exalted. "Unto Him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in His own blood," let every eye be
directed, and praise from every heart ascend. (Rev. 1:5.)"

-BOOK-     Matthew
6:4  That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

-BOOK-     Matthew
6:18  That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

In His love,

------------------
charlene

charlene

Clive Nevell

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
I guess at some stage or another we have all had the syndrome "I am only speaking my mind"
We would not be human if we have never had the "gossip" syndrome as well. It is how we are going now and what have we done about them. Thanks for your comments, they are very helpful.
Here on this forum I believe that Jesus has been uplifted and by His love and grace will enable us to be like Him. I need His saving grace daily, it is so easy to condem and be critical. It is only at the cross when we see what has been done for us that will give us the desire to follow Him.

"Happy the minister who has a faithful Aaron and Hur to strengthen his hands when they weary, and to hold them up by faith and prayer. Such a course is a powerful aid to the servant of Christ in his work, and will often make the cause of truth to triumph gloriously" (IR May 22,1907, 3)
Clive

Clive Nevell

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2000, 05:00:00 PM »
What about words that inspire?
All these texts from proverbs 10 come with the alternative as well,
(Vs. 11,13,31,21,32.)
The righteous comes with understanding, a well of life, feeds many, knows what is acceptable. It then contrasts what the wicked is, violence, a rod, perverse tongue, fools die.
It is good to listen to someone who has understanding and wisdom. These qualities are rare in many today. The words of Jesus certainly fall into this area. God gives wisdom so there are people that have it.

How can we help those without such knowledge?

"Strive to arouse men and women from their spiritual sensibility. Tell them how you found Jesus, and how blessed you have been since you gained an experience in His service. Tell them what blessing comes to you as you sit at the feet of Jesus, and learn precious lessons from His Word. Tell of the gladness and joy that there is in Christian life. Your warm, fervent words will convince them that you have found the pearl of great prive. let your cheerful, encouraging words show them that you have certainly found the higher way. This is genuine missionary work, and as it is done, many will awake as from a dream." (RH Nov. 23.1905, 21)

Clive

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2000, 06:04:00 PM »
Amen, Lord I believe, help thou my unbelief!

As we give testimony of God's character and His faithfulness, others are moved to believe also.  The Testimony forum is one of the most powerful evangelistic tools we have.  :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Clive Nevell

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2000, 08:39:00 PM »
Prov.12:25
"Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad."
Even a smile will help.
There is power in courage, faith , hiope , love. At times we all need it. Before speaking, we should always ponder what effect our words will have on the listener. Not only words but our actions.
I have enjoyed this weeks lesson, probably because I needed it this week.
Clive

Laurie Mosher

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2000, 01:57:00 AM »
I,TOO, have experinced a great blessing in studying this week's lesson, and I greatly VALUE the friendship of like-minded believers (whom I have NEVER met in person). Awesome , isn't it!
  What a day of re-union we will have in heaven with our loved ones, and fellow believers from 'The Remnant Online'.

Dear Father in heaven,
What an awesome family You have! All the Persons in the Godhead, the holy angels, and we- your children. Father , I would ask that YOU continue to bless our fellowship here in TRO. Thank You for MY brothers and sisters in the faith. And Father, may each one who is reading and posting---yes, the "lurkers", especially, may each one be edified and UNIFIED, and come into harmony with learning these spiritual lessons.

May EACH one continue to walk in the steps of the Master! This I ask in the Name of JESUS, and for His sake. AMEN and Amen!

------------------

Bro. Laurie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2000, 05:21:00 AM »
Man looks on the outside, but God looks upon our hearts.   :)  We may act wrong, but God knows our motive. We may "appear" to be acting unselfishly, but God can see our motives. The only answer to our problem is Jesus! If we will allow Him into our hearts, then not only shall our motives by correct, but we shall learn which day of the week is His Day.   :)  God is GOOD and His ways lead to life.

We have no need to anxious, for God is in control and He has won the victory for each of us. By faith we move forward,  together!

Thank you Brothers Clive and Laurie for your time in leading out in the lessons. If we can lure some of the many lurkers into sharing we might get you some help one day.   :)

For those that are faithfully reading the messages each day, we are training here for ministry to the lost in the world. So, take advantage of the opportunity to learn this skill that God can use you to help us in going into homes that we could not access in any other way. The door is opening and we are almost ready to go through it. Come along.   :)

In His love and grace,    Richard

Clive Nevell

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2000, 10:03:00 AM »
God's Words
"Man's words, if of any value, echo the words of God." (CPTS, p. 423)
"It is written" was the way that Jesus met Satan, Jesus being our example. The Word is the only way to respond also tempted.
If we rely on anything other than the Word then satan will have the victory.
Ps. 119:9,105
"How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.
Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path."

When we are physically hungry, we aet fruit, vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, etc. How do we satisfy our spiritual hunger? Or do we we just ignore it, hoping the hunger pangs will go away?

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgement, but has passed from death into life." (John 5:24)

Clive

Laurie Mosher

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2000, 01:53:00 AM »
The following Scriptures come to mind!

Matthew 4:4 "IT IS WRITTEN, man shall not live by bread alone,BUT BY EVERY WORD that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

John 5:39 "SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES for in them you think you have eternal life: AND THEY ARE THEY WHICH TESTIFY OF ME."

John 17:17 "SANCTIFY THEM through Thy Truth. THY WORD IS TRUTH."

And then reading in the last book of the Bible in Rev.1:3, we read these words:

"BLESSED is he that READETH, and they THAT HEAR the words of this prophecy, AND KEEP THOSE THINGS THAT ARE WRITTEN THEREIN:..."

Which brings us back to our MV "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Prov.25:11

Could anything be more valuable than likening the study of the Word of God to PURE GOLD?
Remember the admonition given to the Laodicean Church- THE LAST church (which we are a part of) representing the time period JUST BEFROE Jesus comes again?

Rev.3:18 "I counsel YOU to BUY of Me GOLD (Faith and Love-James 2:5; Gal.5:6) tried in the fire, that YOU MAY BE RICH; and white raiment (Christ's Righteousness- Rev.19:7-8; Isa.64:6), and ...EYESALVE (Ps.119:18,105).
Let us remember that THE Holy Spirit not only convicts us, but ALSO CONVINCES US. See 1 Cor.2:12-13.
 And finally the SAME WORDS repeated to ALL 7 churches,
"He (all) that have ears, HEAR WHAT THE SPIRIT SAYS to the churches." Rev.3:22

------------------

Bro. Laurie

Laurie Mosher

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2000, 05:40:00 AM »
Friday:
 3T "And yet words fitly spoken, coming from SANCTIFIED hearts and lips, AND SUSTAINED by a godly, CONSISTENT Christian deportment, will be AS apples of gold in pictures of silver."

I would like to quote Weymouth's NT in Modern Speech in regards to 2 Peter 2:8.  

"But when righteous Lot was sore distressed by the gross misconduct of immoral men He rescued him.
8 (For their lawless deeds were torture, day after day, to the pure soul of that righteous man--all that he saw and heard whilst living in their midst.)
9 Since all this is so, the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from temptation, and on the other hand how to keep the unrighteous under punishment in readiness for the Day of Judgement."

KJV says "Lot vexed with the FILTHY CONVERSATION of the wicked"

And Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary- says the following:
Believers are cautioned against false teachers, and the certainty of their punishment shown from examples. (1-9) An account of these seducers, as exceedingly wicked. (10-16) But as making high pretences to liberty and purity. (17-22)   #1-9 Though the way of error is a hurtful way, many are always ready to walk therein. Let us take care we give no occasion to the enemy to blaspheme the holy name whereby we are called, or to speak evil of the way of salvation by Jesus Christ, who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. These seducers used feigned words, they deceived the hearts of their followers. Such are condemned already, and the wrath of God abides upon them. God's usual method of proceeding is shown by examples."

What should OUR conversation consist of?

1 Corinthians 1:27 "Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ:...that you stand fast in ONE spirit, with ONE mind striving together for the faith of the gospel."

1 Tim.4:12 "...Be thou an EXAMPLE of the believers in word, IN CONVERSATION, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."
James 3:13 "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? Let him show out of A GOOD CONVERSATION his works (I believe fruit of Spirit-Gal.5:22) with meekness of wisdom."

1 Peter 1:15 -16 "BUT as He which hath called you  is holy, so BE YOU HOLY in ALL MANNER OF CONVERSATION; because it is written, Be you holy, for I am holy."

A very IMPORTANT MATTER for each one to consider is mentioned in the Discussion Questions #3.

Based on this week's study is "roasting" a person or joking around about someone an appropriate Christian behaviour?
 I've been guilty of this, and perhaps, before allowing oneself to "be a part of the problem", perhaps it would be wise to ask ourselves "WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?
 So we have choices, being a part of the problem or part of the solution!

SOP says  "Perfection of character is attained through exercise of the faculties of the mind, in times of supreme test, by obedience to EVERY requirement of God's law. men in positions of trust are to be instrumentalities in the hands of God for promoting His glory, and in performing their duties with the utmost faithfulness, they may attain perfection of character." 2Sm160

Dear Heavenly Father!
 What a privilege that WE can have You as our Father, and that we can be Your children. Father, thank You for the study of Your Precious Word, and the Wonderful and exceeding precious promises You  have given us. Father, we ask that Jesus Christ might live fully and completely in us. Control our eyes and ears and mouths as we contemplate the things around us. May we ever realize that "by beholding we become changed", and Father may we be changed into Your likeness, let our minds be as in Christ ,and may we walk in the steps of the Master.

This I pray for EACH reader and poster , in Jesus' Name and for His sake, AMEN and Amen!

------------------

Bro. Laurie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2000, 06:42:00 PM »
Brothers Laurie and Clive, thank you again for a good study.  :)  Sabbaths are coming quicker now.  :) Jesus is coming very soon. The message of His love and power is being sounded. Let us strive for the mastery in Christ Jesus. Let us love as He loves.

Richard