Author Topic: EDIBLE WILD PLANTS (and domestic)  (Read 3475 times)

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
EDIBLE WILD PLANTS (and domestic)
« on: July 12, 2000, 05:40:00 AM »
   For quite a number of years, I have been interested in learning about Edible Wild Plants. In our earlier days of Pathfindering, my wife (Bev) and I "earned" our badges in Edible Wild Plants, and appreciated the hands-on learning experience.
 One would be surprised at the variety available right in YOUR OWN BACKYARD.We counted and collected, AND SAMPLED nearly 50 species.
 I believe that as we near closer to Christ's 2nd Coming, it would be advisabe to know what one can eat. Yes, I know angels will feed us in extreme circumstances, but God didn't just put the herbs of the field on the earth just to look at. Carbohydrates,proteins, vitamins, and even minerals are found in nearly all plants (particularly the plant seeds).

As the harvesting of wild plants becomes increasingly popular, it is important to remember 5 things:
1) We must not utilize an endangered plant species.

2) Some species should ONLY BE HARVESTED IN     AN EMERGENCY.

3) Not all plants of the same species taste the same. Soil conditions and moisture amount are two important variables which control whether species are bland,tasty or bitter.

4) The nutritional value: While most wild plants are no longer used in dietary staples by humans except in an emergency, it does not alter the fact that wild plants can supply nearly every nutritional need known.

5) An unidentified plant should be considered poisonous. There are some species which have a reasonable look-alike counterpart.

It is the purpose of this thread to introduce to you WHAT to look for, and HOW to distinguish from poisonous look-alikes. In the case of some plants, such as Poison Hemlock, and Destroying Angel, they should NEVER ENTER THE MOUTH under any circumstance.

I will endeavor to introduce the MORE-COMMON edible plants as there are MANY to choose from, and which alot of folk are unfamiliar with.

SO HERE GOES:

BALSAMROOT:  other common names Spring Sunflower
description: Coarse, low perrenial herb to 30 inches tall: large, thick, woody root supports an erect, mostly naked stem; basal leavbes large, elongated, triangular to heart-shaped  to 2 inches long with wavy smooth or toothed edges;
stem-leaves are oval to lance-like; YELLOW FLOWER head SIMILAR to sunflower-flowering stems one or MORE; 12-28 inches high with 1 to 4 narrow stem leaves.
Range: found in fairly open dry hills and slopes, frequently instony ground throughout WESTERN N. America to 8000+ feet elevation.
Season: Flowers in late April thru June; provides edibles IN ALL SEASONS.
EDIBLE: the root is edible ANY TIME OF THE YEAR; stems and leaves in the spring, and after the plant flowers, the seeds may be harvested.
PREPARATION: The root is best roasted or baked, but is good sauteed. In early spring the tender young stems and leaves may BE EATEN RAW, used in salads or boiled. The seeds are good raw, or roasted or ground for mush or flour.
NOTE OF INTEREST: The dozen or so species of the sunflower family (Balsamorhiza deltoidea)  were important in the diet of Indians of the west.

Until next time,
  Keep "the" faith!
Bro. Laurie

[This message has been edited by Laurie Mosher (edited 07-12-2000).]

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Laurie Mosher

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2000, 05:07:00 AM »
   I did some debating about whether to place this article in the Health Section under Simple Health Remedies, or to put it here in Edible Wild Plants (fruit). So I opted for this one, as other fruits will be included here also.  

THE LOWLY? LEMON!

Each year new discoveries are being made about the wizard fruit, the lemon. A new Vitamin-Vitamin P- has been added to the valuable Vitamin C found in the fresh appetizer of the kitchen, the diet laboratory , and even the boudoir.

The lemon has many tricks. Do you have indigestion? With its citric acid lemon juice  quickly changes an acid constitution into an alkaline one.
  With its heavy fruit CALCIUM  supplies bones, teeth and nervous system with basic nourishment. Many women, men and children who lack endurance discover that a lemon cocktail taken twice daily for 30 days, changes the body chemistry, giving greater strength, improvement of memory and endurance, as well as complexion. The lemon "cocktail" consists of lemon juice, milk (or equivalent), a little honey and then shaken in a shaker container.

HOW about a good seasoner?

"But as far as materials for greens is concerned, you need have no concern.I shall be able to obtain the leaves of the yellow dock, the young dandelion, and mustard...My thistle greens, nicely cooked, and seasoned with cream AND LEMON JUICE are very appetizing." Counsels on Diets and Foods,324.
Lemon, instead of vinegar, is much more paletable as a seasoning on all greens, particularly fresh, young beet tops. In making mayonaise, lemon is preferable to vinegar.

LEMON IS HELPFUL IN OVERCOMING ALCOHOLISM

"The patients should be shown the evil of intoxicating liquor, and the blessing of total abstinence. They should be asked to discard the things that have ruined their health, and the place of these things should be supplied with an abundance of fruit, Oranges, LEMONS, prunes, peaches, and many other varieties can be obtained; for the Lord's world is productive, if painstaking effort is put forth." Counsels on Diets and Foods,p.311.
It has been found that the more fruit is included in the diet, PARTICULARLY LEMONS, the less craving there is for alcoholic beverages.

Not only is the lemon a local ANTISEPTIC for offensive breath, but as an internal alkalizer, it protects the would-be fastidious mouth from giving offense. Screen and dramatic stars drink lemon juice drinks sweetened with a little honey, 2-3 times a daily to guarantee sweetness of breath.

Dr.Joseph H Greer has no fear of ASTHMA remaining with his patients. In addition to a general detoxifying diet, he gives them 2 tablespoons of lemon juice  before each meal, and before retiring.
 Roasted Lemons (roasted until they crack open) are given to cough and cold sufferers of all ages and with marked success. When the lemon cracks open, the juice with a little honey, and fresh pineapple juice is given the patient who feels immediate benefit. The PINEAPPLE juice adds its powerful "digestive' enzymes to those of the lemon, for disintigrating the mucous in the throat.

Chills and Fever may be due to a variety of causes. Spanish physicians regard the lemon as a valuable friend. "The juice of 1 lemon is added to 1 cup of alfalfa  or clover herbal tea, and drunk WITHOUT MILK OR SUGAR, taken DAILY.

RHEUMATISM? Take juice of half a lemon before each meal, and before retiring at night. It may be diluted with distilled water before taking or used  in the form of strong lemonade, and at the same time apply the juice twice daily EXTERNALLY. Most physicians who use this remedy state that after 3 days, the sure but slow power of the lemon shows its cleansing and pain-relieving qualities.

HEADACHE? Lemon juice with a few teaspoons  of hot herbal tea (alfalfa, or clover) added is the treatment for many "hangover" type of headaches or other causes.

TARTAR Remover. Lemon juice makes a delightful dentrifice all by itself. To keep the tooth brushes immersed in diluted lemon juice helps to keep them clean, as well as the teeth.

The publisher (BT Anderson) makes the following disclaimer:
"we do not claim this booklet to furnish accurate information as to effective treatment or cure of the diseases mentioned therein-according to currently accepted medical opinion. Nevertheless the publisher believes the tprinciples stated therin to be sound.
"The Miracle of the Lemon" printed by BACK TO GOD PUBLISHING
Rt.2, Box 88 Parsons, Tenn.38363

Keep "the" faith!
 Bro. Laurie   :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2000, 09:15:00 PM »
Brother Laurie, this is great!

Ellen White commented that upon arriving in a new area there were plenty of "greens" to eat.  It would be good for us to know of more  "greens" that we can eat.

I met  a brother at the GC session that did a video on wild edibles. Will put his url up when I find it.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Laurie Mosher

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
 SUNFLOWER !

The mustard seed becomes a tall plant, but you should see "MY" giant sunflower plants.
Of course the seeds are much larger than the mustard seed.

Sunflowers range in height from 3 feet to 12 feet (It's true! We had them growing ABOVE our house top roof). The stalk diameter can reach 2-3 inches across, and the flowers 10 inches across. The stalks are prickly hairy and fibrous. The seed head is purplish brown. And if the sunflowers are not harvested, the birds will feast on the sunflower heads.

The most common sunflower is 'THE COMMON SUNFLOWER", widely distributed throughout North America; found in plains, open fields, open woods,and grassy slopes.
 Blossoms in  April or May, and lasts into fall; the seeds mature in the fall.
We know that the edible part is the seeds; however, in some species, the roots are edible also. Dark-roasted seed shells can be ground and brewed as a substitute for coffee.

Sunflower seeds contain extraordinary nourishment. 100 grams of seed contains 360 calories; the seeds are 52% crude protein and 27% carbohydrate.

[This message has been edited by Laurie Mosher (edited 08-10-2000).]