Author Topic: Cutting Edge Recipes  (Read 133138 times)

Dorine

Re: Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2016, 02:23:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing Richard. I'll have to give that kale sauce a try. It would be nice to keep this thread alive. Now that the colder weather is here we are having a harder time with salads. Wanting more warm food like soups and cooked meals. 
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2016, 03:17:53 PM »
Dorine, I used to eat my greens, but did not like them. Then I read that Ellen White cooked her greens in cream.  I thought about that and decided I would try it. I made a cream out of raw cashews. Put a little salt, cooked onion, and some potato powder into the cream and after steaming my collards, I stirred the cream into the collards and simmered the mix until it was thoroughly warmed. Wow! Ever since, I have loved my greens.

At times the cashews go down in price, but they are too expensive for me now, most of the time. I use sunflower seeds as a substitute, but they are not as delicious. I toast them first to add to the flavor.

Oh....one reason I did not enjoy my greens is because I did not salt them.  :(    Steaming till tender and salt make a world of difference. And, I eat kale salads to  get my raw greens, and juice them when they are sweet.

Try the almond or cashew sauce in the greens, I am sure you will like it.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #302 on: November 02, 2016, 03:19:07 AM »
We don't have a problem with eating greens. I've always steamed and salted them like you and then squeeze lemon juice over them. Yum! I do not cook kale. I use it in our green smoothies each morning and I also make a Wilted Kale Salad that we think is delicious. Our favorite greens for cooking are Spinach, Beet tops, and Swiss chard. I wish I could develop a taste for Mustard greens but haven't so far.

For our green smoothies I use, Spinach, kale, Swiss chard, Orach, Sorrel, beet tops, New Zealand Spinach, with a tablespoon of Chia seeds thrown in. These aren't used all at once. I only use about 2 or 3 different greens at a time but always use the Chia seeds. Flax works good too.

I'm interested in sauces to replace margarine on our cooked vegetables. Yes, I also remember reading that Ellen used cream to make her food more tasty which I know she wouldn't do now if she were living. So I want to try your sauce on my vegetables.

You mentioned potato powder. Where do you get that? I have seen potato flour. I wonder if that would be the same.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #303 on: November 02, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »
Yes, Dorine, it is the same. It is cheaper to just use a cooked potato. They both work as a thickening agent to make the nuts go further.  But, the cooked potato adds a nice flavor to the sauce, gravy, salad dressing, or spread for sandwiches. When using sunflower seeds, we can add cashews or almonds to change the flavor. It is cheaper than using only the nuts.

Dorine, what do you add to your smoothies to make the green palatable. I tried just greens for awhile and finally had to quit. It was just too strong. I use carrots to sweeten the drink. Some use fruit, but I don't think that good since we are told not to mix sweet fruit with greens.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #304 on: November 02, 2016, 03:49:46 PM »

Dorine, what do you add to your smoothies to make the green palatable. I tried just greens for awhile and finally had to quit. It was just too strong. I use carrots to sweeten the drink. Some use fruit, but I don't think that good since we are told not to mix sweet fruit with greens.

We have been told by our Naturopathic Dr. Rudy Davis who is seen with his wife on Amazing Discoveries, that apples is the one fruit that can be used with greens. This is one combination we use:

2 cups apple juice (frozen concentrate reconstituted)
2 handfuls spinach
1 handful kale
1 or 2 T. chia seed or flax
This makes 2 16 oz. glasses

I grow Stevia and add 3 or 4 leaves to the mixture.

I can not eat fruit and vegetables at the same meal but this combination has never given us trouble. 

Dorine

« Reply #305 on: November 02, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
Well today I tried a recipe that I just have to share. It is called Nacho Cheese Sauce but you can call it what ever you want.  ;D

I think this will make a pleasing treat once in a while especially for company.

2 cups diced potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup water (saved from cooking the potatoes and carrots)
1/3 cup almond milk (recipe called for olive oil which would change the consistency somewhat and raise the fat content)
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Chicken Style Seasoning (I make my own)

Boil potatoes and carrots until soft.
Blend potatoes and carrots and the rest of the ingredients until very smooth. (vita-mix does a great job of this)

Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Thickens as it stands.
The costliest part of this recipe would be the nutritional yeast flakes.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #306 on: November 05, 2016, 02:52:18 PM »
Thanks for the recipe, Dorine. It looks delicious!

Here's an observation I made today. What is a haystack?  It is an upside down tostada with the broken tortilla on top.  :)  It took 30 years to make the connection.  :(

Dorine

« Reply #307 on: November 05, 2016, 03:24:05 PM »
 ;D Well I now know how to make a tostada. I've had plenty of haystacks but never a tostada.

Dorine

« Reply #308 on: November 05, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
Richard have you ever tried making your green smoothies with a tomato base? I remember Dr. Davis' wife telling me that she preferred it that way. I've never done it but you could experiment with some herbs with it.  Some herbs to try might be; basil, tarragon, oregano, along with garlic and onion and lemon. The tricky part is finding the correct combination and amounts.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #309 on: November 05, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
Never thought of that.  Experimenting will produce results.  :)   Will give it a try. Thank you, Dorine.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #310 on: November 13, 2018, 02:01:31 PM »
Ok for some strange reason I'm in the mood for creamed peas on toast. I haven't had them in a very long time since the original recipe calls for real milk and the last time we tried it with nut or soy milk it didn't turn out so well as in it didn't thicken up.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a dairy free recipe alternative?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #311 on: November 13, 2018, 02:45:56 PM »
Try this one Jim. This is what we use for creamed peas on toast. I usually double the recipe.

Creamy Alfredo Sauce --3 cups

1/2 cup raw cashews
1 1/4 cups water
1 Tbsp. unbleached flour but no doubt you could use Arrowroot or Tapioca flour
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. Basil
1 Tbsp. Chicken Style Seasoning. (I make my own)
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt

• Pour cashews, flour, seasoning, onion powder, and salt into blender
  • Add water and blend until creamy (I use a Vita-Mix)
  • Pour blended mixture into saucepan and bring to boil.
  • Add Basil and remove from heat.
  • Ladle over toast topped with thawed frozen peas.
Enjoy. Let me know what you think.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #312 on: November 13, 2018, 05:20:10 PM »
Many thanks Dorine, I will give this a shot here soon and let ya know how it goes.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #313 on: November 13, 2018, 11:07:00 PM »
That sounds really good, Dorine.

Jim, we use a boiled or microwaved potato to thicken our white sauce.  You will the recipe in this forum for the sauce with kale or collards.  Cashews, water, salt, onion, and potato with what ever seasoning you want. We use this as a base for a salad dressing, sandwich spread, or gravy. I like the flavor the potato adds. The onion is also cooked before blending.