Author Topic: You Need More Exercise!  (Read 16005 times)

Liane H

• http://
You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
When I was a child and teenager I hated sports. Not that I did not like the exercise, but the competitiveness I did not like.

In sports someone is going to win and the rest lose. God did not create exercise for competitive ways, that is of the world.

All to often in sports people push their body beyond what they should and suffer much from the aftea affects for life doing much damage.

I hate and have hated sports for people and animals. Both are cruel and unfair.

Exercise can be a blessing and should be enjoyed for the purpose to please God, do good for our bodies and mind and enjoy life.

As Seventh-day Adventists I think that we have more than enough information regarding exercise and healthful living to have any need to go near sports.

Take example gardening. So much to learn and do and the joy of seeing young buds coming from the ground, the smell of the earth and the sun that adds to the enjoyment of the day.

The great part is seeing it all come to life and the sense of fulfillment from growing your own food.

Even people who live in apartments can have small box gardens in their home and enjoy nature within. My mother raised us more or less in a jungle in our house both inside and outside.

I know Brother Clive that you think it is good for her to be part of the Olympic's for the Disabiled, but it is of the world and there are so many other things that she could do to be active and enjoy life.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Sybil:
Today I begin the spring mow!

Wow... I hope to squeeze out another month yet before I have to start mowing. When I had 5 acres to mow I did it on a riding mower. I can't imagine mowing 15 acres with a push mower.

Just hauling the gas can out to where you run out of gas would be a work out on 15 acres.  

[This message has been edited by Jim B (edited 03-18-2007).]

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
Not only did  you get your exercise, but the fifteen acres look good after you mow them!   :)

And, when getting exercise in the garden, you have a beautiful garden, healthful food, and exercise in the sunshine and fresh air. A multiple blessing!   :) And when those veggies come in, you will have another blessing to share with those for whom Christ died.

I recall a story that when a runner stumbled and fell another runner who was in the lead stopped to help him. How often would we see this? I have never seen it in my whole life.

We have gone to great lengths in  our family to not put our children in competitive situations. I believe that we do damage to them and Christ when we allow them to "perform" in church rather than to share. Music has become another instrument in Satan's hand to damage our children. To much attention is paid to our young people in the wrong way. We need to keep their hands busy in ways that will glorify God and not them. In a Laodicean church this is not easy.

Maybe we can find some Biblical examples to support our thoughts on exercise?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Clive Nevell

You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Myers:
Not only did  you get your exercise, but the fifteen acres look good after you mow them!    :)

And, when getting exercise in the garden, you have a beautiful garden, healthful food, and exercise in the sunshine and fresh air. A multiple blessing!    :) And when those veggies come in, you will have another blessing to share with those for whom Christ died.

I recall a story that when a runner stumbled and fell another runner who was in the lead stopped to help him. How often would we see this? I have never seen it in my whole life.

We have gone to great lengths in  our family to not put our children in competitive situations. I believe that we do damage to them and Christ when we allow them to "perform" in church rather than to share. Music has become another instrument in Satan's hand to damage our children. To much attention is paid to our young people in the wrong way. We need to keep their hands busy in ways that will glorify God and not them. In a Laodicean church this is not easy.

Maybe we can find some Biblical examples to support our thoughts on exercise?

Paul never seemed to be anti exercise, in fact he used it many times as an example.

We are often told that a family that plays together stays together.

Clive

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jim B:
Just hauling the gas can out to where you run out of gas would be a work out on 15 acres.  

An early mow spreads seeds left over from the fall, plus mowing the fields not only make them look beautiful, but also acts as a barrier to fire. After 20 years of mowing, the plan is not to run out of gas in the field but to mow a stretch of it that leads back to the garage and the gas can! The hardest part is to hit a gopher mound which kills the engine. Over the last several years, I have considered a riding lawn mower, but that would defeat the purpose of exercise. Will be 57 this week and I want to keep walking behind that mower as long as possible!

Reviewing Bible times, people either walked everywhere or rode an animal. They were in much better shape than we are, to say nothing of the 2000+ years we are farther into the degeneration caused by sin. Yes, let's look at some texts regarding exercise.

[This message has been edited by Sybil (edited 03-18-2007).]

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Diligent study is essential, and diligent hard work. Play is not essential. The influence has been growing among students in their devotion to amusements, to a fascinating, bewitching power, to the counteracting of the influence of the truth upon the human mind and character. A well-balanced mind is not usually obtained in the devotion of the physical powers to amusements. Physical labor that is combined with mental taxation for usefulness, is a discipline in practical life, sweetened always by the reflection that it is qualifying and educating the mind and body better to perform the work God designs men shall do in various lines. The more perfectly youth understand how to perform the duties of practical life, the more keen and the more healthful will be their enjoyment day by day in being of use to others.

The mind thus educated to enjoy physical taxation in practical life becomes enlarged, and through culture and training, well disciplined and richly furnished for usefulness, and acquires a knowledge essential to be a help and blessing to themselves and to others. Let every student consider, and be able to say, I study, I work, for eternity. They can learn to be patiently industrious and persevering in their combined efforts of physical and mental labor. What force of powers is put into your games of football and your other inventions after the way of the Gentiles -- exercises which bless no one! Just put the same powers into exercise in doing useful labor, and would not your record be more pleasing to meet in the great day of God?  

Whatever is done under the sanctified stimulus of Christian obligation, because you are stewards in trust of talents to use to be a blessing to yourself and to others, gives you substantial satisfaction; for all is done to the glory of God. I cannot find an instance in the life of Christ where He devoted time to play and amusement. He was the great Educator for the present and the future life. I have not been able to find one instance where He educated His disciples to engage in amusement of football or pugilistic games, to obtain physical exercise, or in theatrical performances; and yet Christ was our pattern in all things. Christ, the world's Redeemer, gave to every man his work and bids them "occupy till I come."

And in doing His work, the heart warms to such an enterprise, and all the powers of the soul are enlisted in a work assigned of the Lord and Master. It is a high and important work. The Christian teacher and student are enabled to become stewards of the grace of Christ, and be always in earnest.  

All they can do for Jesus is to be in earnest, having a burning desire to show their gratitude to God in the most diligent discharge of every obligation that is laid upon them, that, by their fidelity to God, they may respond to the great and wonderful gift of the only-begotten Son of God, that through faith in Him they should not perish, but have everlasting life.  

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »

JimB

• Servant
You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
Brother Clive, I have never heard any Seventh-day Adventist say that they were against exercise. However, I have hear several say that they are against competitive sports. There is a difference.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Liane H

You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Hi Brother Clive:

You said:

"We are often told that a family that plays together stays together."

That is a new twist to what I have read which is: "A family that PRAYS together stays together."

I do believe a family that interacts and does many of the daily things together benefits from the best form out relationship that can bond the family together. A good walk together is a great blessing and the many things they learn along the way in the walk.

When my friends and I took walks together I missed so much on my own, but with them what they heard gave me a view of nature that I was missing and it greatly benefited me in these walks with their families and the church family as well.

We were created for fellowship within the family and the church and learning to relate to each other in our different spheres in life teaches us much.

That is the benefit of a forum. Learning, sharing and benefiting all from each other each day in the ways of the Lord.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Clive Nevell

You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »

quote:
Brother Clive, I have never heard any Seventh-day Adventist say that they were against exercise. However, I have hear several say that they are against competitive sports. There is a difference.

Jim

You maybe right but by their actions it shows that they are against excerise.

Have a look at all the oversize Adventists.

Obviously most are doing very little if any excerise.

Where does it come from?

It has mainly come about due to the fact many think that playing sport is some sort of evil.

It leads to many in the Church who are now suffering greatly because of lack of exercise.

I am not going to force anyone to be active. If they want to suffer in latter years then that is their problem, not mine.

Before class this morning I went on a 5 km run, love running.

Clive

JimB

• Servant
You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Clive Nevell:
It has mainly come about due to the fact many think that playing sport is some sort of evil.

Before class this morning I went on a 5 km run, love running.

Clive

Brother Clive, I have to disagree with your conclusion. There are so many ways to get exercise outside of competitive sports. Competitive sports is just one way to get your exercise. For instance I love to ride my road and mountain bikes. I do it for exercise and because I enjoy it. When I visit my brother in TN mountain biking is a great way to get out in the outdoors and enjoy God's creation. Nothing like riding through a creek.  :)   Or just going down hill. I haven't been able to break the 49mph barrier yet.   :) However, going down hill is the reward after a hard ride since the first 3 miles are up. Unfortunately I don't get to do that very often.

Last fall I ditched 28lbs by riding my road bike almost every evening. I'm about to pick that back up again now that the weather is getting warmer and sundown is later.

As much as I love doing these things Mrs. White says that the best exercise that one can get is walking. And recent scientific studies are agreeing with her.

You love running! I hate it. I'll leave that for you. I'll stick to my bike.

Clive Nevell

You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »

quote:
Brother Clive, I have to disagree with your conclusion. There are so many ways to get exercise outside of competitive sports. Competitive sports is just one way to get your exercise. For instance I love to ride my road and mountain bikes. I do it for exercise and because I enjoy it. When I visit my brother in TN mountain biking is a great way to get out in the outdoors and enjoy God's creation. Nothing like riding through a creek.   :)   Or just going down hill. I haven't been able to break the 49mph barrier yet.    :) However, going down hill is the reward after a hard ride since the first 3 miles are up. Unfortunately I don't get to do that very often.

Last fall I ditched 28lbs by riding my road bike almost every evening. I'm about to pick that back up again now that the weather is getting warmer and sundown is later.

As much as I love doing these things Mrs. White says that the best exercise that one can get is walking. And recent scientific studies are agreeing with her.

You love running! I hate it. I'll leave that for you. I'll stick to my bike.

Jim

Glad to hear that you are bike riding. Very good for you. I used to have the use of the best stationary bike that money could buy when I was working on Bougainville.

It was locked away and i was given the key to the room. So after work a few of us would go down and give it a workout.

I loved it. Just from memory I got up to 465 watts over 20 minutes on it. the next best guy was 450 and at that time he was not drinking at all. I convinced him he was better off without it.

Clive

Suzanne

Re: You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 03:11:43 PM »
Now that you are exercising, you will need a good pair of sneakers.  What's the best?

Bargain Sneakers Better Than Pricey Models

That's the verdict from scientists at the Institute of Motion Analysis & Research at the University of Dundee in Scotland.  They tested athletic shoes priced between $81 and $152 and found that the more affordable footweaw provided the same level of durability and overall comfort as the higher-priced counterparts. 

Even better: The less expensive sneakers actually provided more cushioning and support.  --British Journal of Sports Medicine.

Suzanne

Sister Dee

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »
$81 is the price of a bargain sneaker?!   :D 

Suzanne

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »
Of course not, Diane, what shall I say.  I personally have never paid more than twenty dollars or so for sneakers...and have even been known to pick up a pair from the thrift store. 

Suzanne

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »
I would like to give a short testimony as to what more exercise does for the body, to say nothing of what it does for the soul!

A few months ago it dawned on me that I was losing strength and muscle mass and not always feeling I had that much energy. Sitting in front of this screen for too many hours has taken its toll on my body. It is greatly helped my mind, but not so good for circulation, so I set about to change that.

Within three weeks of working outside: cutting trees, dealing with limbs, cleaning the flower beds, learning to chop wood, I could breathe better, lift more and endure longer. Just today I stacked a cord of heavy pinon wood in forty-five minutes and not once got short of breath nor was I tired afterward. So things are surely looking up. We are, indeed, wonderfully made and we function so much better when we wisely use the bodies we have been given.   

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 02:19:46 PM »
I would like to give a short testimony as to what more exercise does for the body, to say nothing of what it does for the soul!

A few months ago it dawned on me that I was losing strength and muscle mass and not always feeling I had that much energy. Sitting in front of this screen for too many hours has taken its toll on my body. It is greatly helped my mind, but not so good for circulation, so I set about to change that.

Within three weeks of working outside: cutting trees, dealing with limbs, cleaning the flower beds, learning to chop wood, I could breathe better, lift more and endure longer. Just today I stacked a cord of heavy pinon wood in forty-five minutes and not once got short of breath nor was I tired afterward. So things are surely looking up. We are, indeed, wonderfully made and we function so much better when we wisely use the bodies we have been given.   

So true, Sybil.

I have always had a lot of energy, and, besides a healthful diet (and getting enough sleep), I attribute it at least partially to the fact that I take a 3 mile walk every morning.  I should add that it's not on flat ground; its up and down hills.  I can't think of any other reason an old buzzard like me should have so much energy.  ;D   

I also think getting enough sleep is just as important as getting enough exercise.

With all due respect to the British Journal of Sports Medicine, I believe they are out of touch with reality.  A bargain sneaker is one that costs less than $20.  I think I paid around $25 for my last pair.  They are perfectly comfortable.  I've only had one experience with "expensive" sneakers:  around 20 years ago I paid $25 for a pair of name brand sneakers that were marked down from $60 (remember, this was 20 years ago).  They lasted me 3 weeks.  ::)  So I went and bought a cheap pair for around $10 from K Mart.  They lasted all summer, and beyond.  Cheapness is often its own punishment, but not always.  ;D
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Suzanne

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »
5 More Reasons to Walk

Studies show that even small amounts of brisk walking can keep you healthy.  Here's the amount you need daily to lower your risk of 5 diseases:

* 17 minutes reduces depression symptons 41%.

* 17 minutes reduces colon cancer 31%.

* 18 minutes reduces coronary heart disease 36%.

* 21 minutes reduces stroke 43%.

* 30 minutes reduces type 2 diabetes 30%.
--Prevention, Nov. 2008.

Suzanne

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »
5 More Reasons to Walk

Studies show that even small amounts of brisk walking can keep you healthy.  Here's the amount you need daily to lower your risk of 5 diseases:

* 17 minutes reduces depression symptons 41%.

* 17 minutes reduces colon cancer 31%.

* 18 minutes reduces coronary heart disease 36%.

* 21 minutes reduces stroke 43%.

* 30 minutes reduces type 2 diabetes 30%.
--Prevention, Nov. 2008.

Suzanne

What does 45-50 minutes do for you?  That's my usual walk.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
Stunning and encouraging data, Suzanne! Thanks!