Author Topic: Mad Cows and People  (Read 65102 times)

Esther 7

• http://
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
Testing for mad cow is being cancelled. The one and only testing facility in Washington State is being closed.

The Seattle Times had a front page article that stated not a single person in the United States has ever contracted Mad Cow disease.

Is there anyone who can do the research and correct the error for this newspaper?

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Japan will check all processed meats imported from the United States after a shipment was found last week with sausages containing beef in violation of regulations aimed at containing mad cow disease, an official said Monday. source

Question: Why does Japan refuse meat that Americans are willing to buy and eat?

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Myers:
Question: Why does Japan refuse meat that Americans are willing to buy and eat?

Because they are smarter than we are. I'm assuming also that since they are this careful that they know the process of how our meat is or is not inspected. Just a guess.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
That's it. They test every one of their own cows for Mad Cow, we test very few. They know that Americans are eating diseased cows. They don't want them. Americans have been willingly deceived.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
Hi Brother Jim:

Also they like to eat our horses where they is not cases of a form of Mad Cow Diseases as of yet and others and myself are trying to stop this killing of horses for food.

There are only three plants in the United States, two in California, one in Illinois, I think or Indiana and Canada.

All horses no matter where around the United States are shipped to these slaughter houses from auctions around the country.

The shipping itself is terrible, no less the killing of them after they get there.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Esther 7

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Some excellent horse friendly bills were passed recently, I just don't have all the information with me.

Liane H

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
I knew they were on the floor, but did not know if they had been voted on yet.

They have to go through both houses so I am not sure where it is presently.

Now if there are two of the same bill with different wording, then they both go to a committee to make it into one bill and then it goes to the President to vote or veto the bill.

Will do some checking myself and thanks for sharing as horses are very important to me.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
I think we have a topic for horse exports. It would be good if those who are interested could have this information.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
This is an interesting development. It is sad that they are not sticking to their quarantine.  
quote:
S. Korea to Relax U.S. Beef Quarantines

South Korea said Thursday that it will lower its quarantine standards this month over banned bone fragments in American beef shipments, paving the way for the nation to resume U.S. beef imports.

South Korea _ once America's third-largest overseas beef market _ notified the United States of the plan during negotiations in Washington on Tuesday, and the U.S. did not oppose it, South Korea's Agriculture Ministry said in a statement.

South Korea agreed to resume imports of U.S. beef last year following a three-year ban triggered by fears of mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

Full Article

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
I am sure there was a lot of political pressure put upon S. Korea to resume imports.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
From today's FDA recall notice.

Enforcement Report

The FDA Enforcement Report is published weekly by the Food and Drug Administration, Department of Health and Human Services. It contains information on actions taken in connection with agency Regulatory activities

PRODUCT
Bulk cattle feed made with recalled Darling’s 85% Blood Meal, Flash Dried, Recall # V-024-2007
CODE
Cattle feed delivered between 01/12/2007 and 01/26/2007
RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
Pfeiffer, Arno, Inc, Greenbush, WI. by conversation on February 5, 2007. Firm initiated recall is ongoing.
REASON
Blood meal used to make cattle feed was recalled because it was cross-contaminated with prohibited bovine meat and bone meal that had been manufactured on common equipment and labeling did not bear cautionary BSE statement.
VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
42,090 lbs.
DISTRIBUTION
WI

Custom dairy premix products: MNM ALL PURPOSE Pellet, HILLSIDE/CDL Prot-Buffer Meal, LEE, M.-CLOSE UP PX Pellet, HIGH DESERT/ GHC LACT Meal, TATARKA, M CUST PROT Meal, SUNRIDGE/CDL PROTEIN Blend, LOURENZO, K PVM DAIRY Meal, DOUBLE B DAIRY/GHC LAC Mineral, WEST PIONT/GHC CLOSEUP Mineral, WEST POINT/GHC LACT Meal, JENKS, J/COMPASS PROTEIN Meal, COPPINI – 8# SPECIAL DAIRY Mix, GULICK, L-LACT Meal (Bulk), TRIPLE J – PROTEIN/LACTATION, ROCK CREEK/GHC MILK Mineral, BETTENCOURT/GHC S.SIDE MK-MN, BETTENCOURT #1/GHC MILK MINR, V&C DAIRY/GHC LACT Meal, VEENSTRA, F/GHC LACT Meal, SMUTNY, A-BYPASS ML W/SMARTA, Recall # V-025-2007
CODE
The firm does not utilize a code - only shipping documentation with commodity and weights identified.
RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
Rangen, Inc, Buhl, ID, by letters on February 13 and 14, 2007. Firm initiated recall is complete.
REASON

March 21 2007 Products manufactured from bulk feed containing blood meal that was cross contaminated with prohibited meat and bone meal and the labeling did not bear cautionary BSE statement.
VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
9,997,976 lbs.
DISTRIBUTION
ID and NV

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR MARCH 21, 2007

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
The recalls were for product that could have been fed to cows and sheep. No problem if the food goes to your pig, dog, cat, fish, or you. It cannot go to cows and sheep.

Interesting. Now what was that material that they used to feed to cows and sheep? Do they still feed cows to cows?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Seven French doctors were ordered on Tuesday to stand trial over the deaths of 110 teens who developed Creutzfelt-Jakob Disease (CJD) after taking growth hormones in the 1980s, court officials said.

In one of France's most serious health scandals the victims, most of them children suffering from stunted growth, are thought to have developed the brain-wasting disease after being given contaminated hormones.

source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
 South Korea suspended U.S. beef imports today after inspectors reportedly found a recent shipment contained bone that is banned due to concerns over mad cow disease.

The Agriculture Ministry said two vertebrae segments were found in one box of meat in an 18.5-ton shipment from the U.S. that arrived last week. Vertebrae are among parts — also including skulls and eyes — believed at risk of carrying the brain-wasting disease.

"The ministry suspended inspections of all U.S.-produced beef and asked the U.S. government to immediately halt sending any shipments," it said in a statement. source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Deceptions abound in the world today. We war not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual wickedness in high places. Well....Satan sure can use flesh and blood to deceive. Most humans are in a state of self deception, but they are indeed helped along by those who are more concerned about the success of industry and continuing their own perverted lifestyle than they are about the health and lives of their own children.

Remember Mr. Gummer in England when the government was telling the people it was safe to eat cow meat? We remember he was the one who in order to squash any fear the public had about Mad Cow Disease infecting humans, had his young daughter eat a hamburger for the news reporters.

"A family friend of John Gummer, the former Agriculture Minister who in 1990 tried to show that beef was safe by encouraging his 4-year-old child to eat a hamburger in front of the cameras, has died from the human form of 'mad cow' disease.

Elizabeth Smith, 23, a student from St Margaret South Elmham, Suffolk, died from variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) on October 4, three years after becoming ill." source

She would have been six years old at the time Mr. Gummer and friends were telling the world it is safe to eat mad cows. And, even her father is still telling the world it is safe to eat meat.   :(  I wonder how many who have had great light are refusing to believe it is no longer safe to eat animals, their milk, and eggs?  I am so sorry for the little ones who have to follow in their parents footsteps. God have mercy on those who have been shown and refuse to believe.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
We did a television interview just after Mr. Gummer was attempting to convince the world to eat sick cows, in which we revealed the truth about the dangers of not only Mad Cow Disease, but from milk infected with Bovine Leukemia Virus. We will be moving TRO to a new site soon and then we will have video clips from that interview to share online. God has given His people warning as to what happens before it happens. We did our part, but many in the church do not spread the light and one day will face some very angry people who will say "Why did you not tell us!!!"

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Mad Cows and People
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2007, 10:00:37 PM »
Ever feel that when someone is trying to do good that there are others standing in the way? The Japanese are trying to protect their people from Mad Cows, but there are some who are going to force Mad Cows down their throats. It is very sad. Here is the USDA acting head telling the world how it is. (Japan tests every one of its own cows for Mad Cow Disease, but the US refuses to do so.) I have highlighted the important statements in red.

Transcript of Questions and Answers: Acting Agriculture Secretary Chuck Conner with Media After U.S. Meat Export Federation Remarks
     Washington D.C., October 29, 2007

Q: -- partners in Korea? Is that what you said?

SEC. CONNER: Well, as you guys know we had a trade delegation that's spent the better part of a couple of weeks traveling to five different countries I believe in Asia. We had heard some concern that perhaps, there was concern that we were focused on Japan and Korea and not pushing others. And we wanted to send a strong message that we expect all of our international trading partners to trade in beef and all our beef products according to international OIE standards. So this was an important mission, not only to continue our efforts with Japan and Korea, but at the same time to reach out to those other countries who, as well, are expected to trade according to those standards.

A delegation was over there for a couple of weeks. They are back I believe as of yesterday. In fact they have returned, so I've not had the opportunity to sit down and be fully briefed, but some of what they report is that there has been some progress made in those countries, that there's been expression of some interest in moving towards international standards. We're going to follow up obviously on these things because again we do expect all of Asia and all of our international trading partners to trade according to these standards, and we're not in any way changing that, and just believe that's the only way you're going to have reasonable trade in beef around the globe is according to those standards.

REPORTER: Which, countries showed interest?

REPORTER: -- over the weekend it was revealed that the Topps beef was sourced out of Canada. Can you explain what that will mean in terms of import food safety working group recommendations and any new recommendations coming out of USDA plus the trade implications?

SEC. CONNER: Well, let me just say, Sally, the comment I'll have on that is obviously we worked very, very closely with CFIA from the beginning. We've had such a great working relationship throughout all our beef issues with Canada, with the Canadian government, the CFIA in particular. You know, they had been more than cooperative with us in terms of tracking down this material and sourcing this plant that has been identified. I'm confident that working with Canada we're going to continue to work through these issues and get this resolved at this point. So that's all I'll say.

REPORTER: -- international trade expand, (unclear) safety of U.S. beef, or I should say the safety of beef consumed by Americans?

SEC. CONNER: Well, Chuck, you've heard me say on numerous occasions I believe our food supply is safe, our beef supply is safe. We've had this circumstance for this one particular case that has led to a sizeable recall. I think we've openly identified with you issues that came about as a result of that particular recall that we have put in place several changes that we felt strengthened our own system that we have in place. And those changes will enable us to move much more quickly on a recall than perhaps what our guidelines would have allowed us to do in the past.

We're going to continue to look and analyze this situation, again to make sure we have the absolute best system in place for protection of our consumers. Most of that you've seen already in terms of the announcements that came out of FSIS shortly after the major recall was issued for the product coming out of New Jersey.

REPORTER: Sir, (unclear) Prime Minister (unclear) be in town meeting with President (unclear). What is your expectation with regards to the beef issue?

SEC. CONNER: Well, again, the president on numerous occasions has stated to our trading partners and to the Japanese and Koreans in particular that he expects our beef producers in the United States to be able to trade beef internationally according to OIE standards. International, science-based standards. And the President has been personally involved in making this case. We appreciate his personal involvement in making that case, and I am certain that this is going to be underscored again with the Japanese that we expect, as they have indicated before, that they are willing to move forward to trade according to those international standards, international standards that will ensure that Japanese consumers not only have access to beef but have access to a very, very safe beef supply. And again I would expect the President to underscore that.

REPORTER: When you started did you expect it would be almost November and we'd still be dealing with opening markets with Japan?

SEC. CONNER: Well, I won't comment on that directly, but obviously it reflects the frustration that we've got at this point. It's been too long, Alan. I'll just say that. It's been simply too long. We are frustrated. We are going to continue to press this point, press again for full OIE compliance. And we appreciate the work of our trade experts the last couple of weeks to make this case on many, many points around the globe. And as I have indicated, we will be reporting perhaps some progress, but a lot more needs to be done. We're frustrated. It's time to get this issue behind us.

REPORTER: Despite OIE guidelines, international guidelines, have you gotten – is Japan still set in only wanting to accept beef of under 30-month-age cattle, not accept culled cattle?

SEC. CONNER: Well, the Japanese can state their own position. Our position with the Japanese is, they have agreed to live by international standards. And international standards are not 30 month and younger animals. International standards in Japan would allow us to trade all products from all age cattle into that country. And that's what we expect Japan to do because that's what they have agreed to do by being a part of this international body.

REPORTER: Mr. Secretary, on the Peru Free Trade Agreement you'd expressed some hope about this month. Have any congressional leaders indicated when they might be moving on that?

SEC. CONNER: I'm not aware of what they are saying in terms of the timing of that. Again, obviously they come out of both committees with strong votes, strong bipartisan votes I might add, and so we'd expect them to move forward on this very quickly. We are going to continue to press for rapid adoption of that particular agreement as well as the other three going forward.

REPORTER: On beef again, had you talked to the Asian countries about going to the SPS Committee in Geneva about, with the complaint or at least the discussion within the committee?

SEC. CONNER: I have not had any discussions in that regard. Again, we're going to continue to make the case for these international standards, and we just expect those countries who have agreed to live by these standards, expect others in terms of trading of their products, to live by international standards, to say simply, "We're a part of this body, we're a part of the international body; this is what we have agreed to trade by, this is how we expect others to treat us. Therefore, this is how we're going to treat U.S. beef."

We're frustrated. You know, we're going to continue to press that point. And next steps, we'll have to see, but we're going to continue to press that point as again we have in the last two weeks with this high level delegation that has been to the five different Asian countries.

REPORTER: Different topic. Anything new from the wild fires as far as crop damage? What's USDA been finding out?

SEC. CONNER: Well, obviously, in terms of crop damage we need to get an assessment of that at this point. As you might expect, the last several days we have been focusing on full containment of the fire. Under Secretary Mark Rey reported on that this morning in our sub cabinet meeting. Most of the fires are in the 90 percent containment category. That's not to say there might not be one or two that aren't there, but we made a lot of progress in the last three days since the wind died down.

I will tell you as well, obviously those same people in our fire center are watching the weather maps very, very closely because there is some talk about later in the week some form of Santa Anta winds picking up again, in which case if there are any fires remaining at that point that could be problematic. So this is an ongoing, fluid situation. But in the last few days as we've been able to get our full deployment in the air and on the ground, we've made a great deal of headway.

REPORTER: So may I go back to the beef issue? So that you mentioned that, so that some of the nations are interested in moving into the OIE standards. I'm just wondering, which countries show that?

SEC. CONNER: Well, in terms of this trip I'll be having more to say about that at a later point. I'll just again report as I said in my remarks in here that we feel like we have made some progress towards moving toward OIE standards in certain situations.

REPORTER: -- with Japan?

SEC. CONNER: I'm not going to say anything more. You guys heard my remarks.

REPORTER: What are the next steps now that the Asian trip is over?

SEC. CONNER: Well, obviously we need to get a full briefing from the group that just returned over the weekend, both Sue Schwab and I. I will be meeting with her in the middle part of this week, Wednesday I believe Sue and I are scheduled to have a meeting. We'll plot out our next steps based upon that briefing. Obviously we're going to continue to reach out to all of our counterparts in these countries, continue to press them with just the strongest possible message that we can: "Simply do what you said you were going to do. This is not a tough situation. You are a part of the international body, you've been a part of these negotiations, you've indicated what you're going to do. Fulfill that obligation, open up your markets according to the science-based standards of the OIE."

Again, it's not difficult. It's something that for the sake of international trade, for the sake of all exports moving around the country, around the globe freely, they should be willing to do because these are countries that are champions of trade, champions of trade according to international standards. Now they just need to do it for this particular product.

Last Modified: 10/29/2007    

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »
South Koreans are angry about the deal that will bring the risk from mad cows to South Korea from the US.
source

Utube video

South Korea was the number 3 importer of US beef.  Money seems to be the primary concern, not health. The US wants to send older cows who are more at risk for CJD to S Korea.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »
We are assured that the government and the cattle industry have things under control. One of the concerns is the transmission of BSE from sick cattle to other animals via cattle products. One such product is blood. How does it look? Is it safe to feed animals with blood from sick cows or sheep? Will blood transmit BSE?

In April 2008 FDA announced the publication of its Final Rule for 21 CFR Part 589.2001 - Substances Prohibited From Use in Animal Food or Feed. FDA specifically stated in their opinion that, "FDA is not prohibiting the use of blood and blood products in animal feed because we believe such a prohibition would do very little to reduce the risk of BSE transmission."

Known as a leader in developing nutritional products for the swine industry, where 95% of pig starter diets in the United States contain functional proteins, APC has more recently developed their line of colostrum replacers, supplements, feed additives and milk replacer ingredients for calves. Products include plasma, serum and immunoglobulin concentrate based Acquire®, Lifeline®, Gammulin® and Nutrapro® used to optimize the health and performance of calves.

So....the USDA says all is well. Prohibiting blood and blood products "would do very littel to reduce the risk of BSE transmission."

Prion diseases are efficiently transmitted by blood transfusion in sheep

Fiona Houston1, Sandra McCutcheon1, Wilfred Goldmann2, Angela Chong2, James Foster2, Silvia Sisó3, Lorenzo González3, Martin Jeffrey3, and Nora Hunter2 1 Neuropathogenesis Division, Roslin Institute, Compton, United Kingdom; 2 Neuropathogenesis Division, Roslin Institute, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom; and 3 Lasswade Laboratory, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Penicuik, United Kingdom

The emergence of variant Creutzfeld-Jakob disease, following on from the bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) epidemic, led to concerns about the potential risk of iatrogenic transmission of disease by blood transfusion and the introduction of costly control measures to protect blood supplies. We previously reported preliminary data demonstrating the transmission of BSE and natural scrapie by blood transfusion in sheep. The final results of this experiment, reported here, give unexpectedly high transmission rates by transfusion of 36% for BSE and 43% for scrapie. A proportion of BSE-infected tranfusion recipients ( 3 of 8 ) survived for up to 7 years without showing clinical signs of disease. The majority of transmissions resulted from blood collected from donors at more than 50% of the estimated incubation period. The high transmission rates and relatively short and consistent incubation periods in clinically positive recipients suggest that infectivity titers in blood were substantial and/or that blood transfusion is an efficient method of transmission. This experiment has established the value of using sheep as a model for studying transmission of variant Creutzfeld-Jakob disease by blood products in humans.
  source

Still eating animal products at your holiday meals? You may want to reconsider.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2009, 06:55:20 AM »
SEAC* was informed about the following issues: . A mother and son in Spain had died of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD). This is the first recorded instance of more than one case of vCJD within one family. Seems that mad cows do indeed kill humans who eat from them.

* In the UK.... The Spongiform Encephalopathy Advisory Committee (SEAC) is appointed by Ministers and sponsored jointly by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), the Department of Health and the Food Standards Agency . Its role is to provide independent expert scientific advice to the Government on spongiform encephalopathies such as BSE, CJD and scrapie. SEAC's remit is wide-ranging, and covers public health, food safety and animal health issues.