Author Topic: Mad Cows and People  (Read 65107 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2005, 06:45:00 AM »
We have been pointing out that "sporadic" CJD is caused it just does not happen as has been suggested. Its cause is the same as the "variant" CJD, infection from other animals or humans. Science is beginning to see this important truth.

The Department of Pathology at the University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, UK. has a case that highlights possible difficulties in the differential diagnosis of vCJD and the more rare sCJD subtypes based on molecular features alone. Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) is described in a young Dutch protein prion gene (PRNP) codon 129 valine homozygote. Certain clinical and molecular features of this case overlap those of variant CJD.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Curt

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2005, 12:07:00 PM »
Theory: Mad Cow May Have Come From Humans
September 2, 2005

LONDON (AP) -- A new theory proposes that mad cow disease may have come from feeding British cattle meal contaminated with human remains infected with a variation of the disease.

The hypothesis, outlined this week in The Lancet medical journal, suggests the infected cattle feed came from the Indian subcontinent, where bodies sometimes are ceremonially thrown into the Ganges River.

Indian experts not connected with the research pointed out weaknesses in the theory but agreed it should be investigated.

The cause of the original case or cases of mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, is unknown, but it belongs to a class of illnesses called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, or TSEs.

Such illnesses exist in several species. Scrapie is a TSE that affects sheep and goats, while chronic wasting disease afflicts elk and deer. A handful of TSEs are found in humans, including Kuru, Alper's disease and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, or CJD.

All TSEs are fatal, untreatable and undiagnosable until after death. They are called spongiform encephalopathies because the diseases involve spongy degeneration of the brain.

The disease was not known to infect cows until 1986, when the first cases were noticed in Britain. About a decade later, a new permutation of CJD, which scientists dubbed variant CJD, started showing up in people there. Experts believe this new variant came from eating beef products infected with mad cow disease.

But where the cows got the disease remains a mystery.

The most popular theory is that cattle, which are vegetarian, were fed meal containing sheep remains, passing scrapie from sheep to cows, where it eventually evolved into a cow-specific disease. Another theory is that cows just developed the disease spontaneously, without catching it from another species.

However, a pair of British scientists now proposes the origin may be the bones of people infected with classical CJD, which they theorize ended up in cattle feed imported from South Asia.

Britain imported hundreds of thousands of tons of whole bones, crushed bones and carcass parts to be used for fertilizer and animal feed during the 1960s and 1970s. Nearly half of that came from Bangladesh, India and Pakistan, said the scientists, led by Alan Colchester, a professor of neuroscience at the University of Kent in England.

"In India and Pakistan, gathering large bones and carcasses from the land and from rivers has long been an important local trade for peasants," the scientists wrote. "Collectors encounter considerable quantities of human as well as animal remains as a result of religious customs."

Hindus believe remains should be disposed of in a river, preferably the Ganges.

"The ideal is for the body to be burned, but most people cannot afford enough wood for a full cremation. ... Many complete corpses are thrown into the river," the scientists said, adding that the inclusion of human remains in animal bone material exported from the Indian subcontinent has been documented.

Britain was the main recipient of animal byproducts exported from India and Pakistan during the relevant period and was also a leader in feeding meat and bone meal to calves, they noted.

Finally, the similarities between the strains -- mad cow disease, classical CJD and variant CJD -- are sufficiently close to support the theory of a link among them, the authors argued.

"We do not claim that our theory is proved, but it unquestionably warrants further investigation," the scientists wrote.

Indian neuroscientists Susarla Shankar and P. Satishchandra of the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences in Bangalore, India, agreed the theory needs to be followed up, but urged caution.

"Scientists must proceed cautiously when hypothesizing about a disease that has such wide geographical, cultural and religious implications," they wrote in a critique published in the journal.

Relatives of people who die of suspected CJD are persuaded to bury their dead or cremate them, the two said. In most hospital-related deaths, bodies are not taken to Varanasi, the holy city on the banks of the Ganges, but cremated or buried nearer to home.

"Even in Varanasi, most Hindus do not put half-burnt bodies into the river," they wrote, adding that if bodies found in the Ganges did have CJD, there should have been a major epidemic of the disease in north India.

"Facts to support or refute their hypothesis now need to be gathered with urgency and great care," the Indian scientists said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2005, 06:24:00 PM »
WASHINGTON - The government is easing rules intended to prevent the spread of mad cow disease among people, allowing part of a cow's small intestine to be used as casing for some sausages.

Complete story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050908/ap_on_he_me/mad_cow_2

Laughter is an instant vacation

Bill Wennell

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12593

------------------
Bill Wennell
USDA Meat & Poultry Inspector
BiblicalTruths2000@Juno.com

Bill Wennell<BR>Medical-missionary Brazil<BR>BiblicalTruths2000@Juno.com

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »
There is advance being made in the discovery of animal diseases being contracted by humans when they eat their flesh, milk, and eggs. The bright area of study from my perspective is with alhzeimers. Few see any relationship, but the evidence is there for the finding.

I posted this earlier this year and in the light of what I found yesterday I think it advantageous for those who are interested in this subject to review it. I will then share the new information I discovered that ties in.

1-20-2005 10:40 AM    

Many have wondered how their loved ones developed Ahlzeimers. Like sporadic CJD it just happens or it is the result of aluminum. No, neither of these diseases just happen. I have suspected for a long time that both diseases come from eating the flesh or products of animals with spongiform disease.

We now have found "mad cows" with lesions similar to the ones found in Ahlzeimer patients. I believe this is the evidence we needed to begin to discuss a relationship between the two. Sporadic CJD and Ahlzeimers are caused, they don't just happen without a cause. I believe we shall soon find out that they are both caused by infections from animals with a spongiform disease.

I have been looking for the evidence of such a connection for some time. Today, I believe I have found it. There are those who have been aware of this for over thirty years. It is sad that the public has not been informed.

Almost thirty years ago the Agricultural Research Council (ARC) at its meeting on October 12, 1976 stated "The USDA concluded that it could 'no longer justify or permit scrapie-blood line and scrapie-exposed sheep and goats to be processed for human or animal food at slaughter or renderng plants.' (ARC 84/77).The problem is emphasized by the finding that some strains of scrapie produce lesions identical to the ones which characterise the human dementias."

It is very interesting to note that we see here something that ought to interest us all. That the lesions in human dementia correspond to the lesions produced by scrapie is the "smoking gun" that I believe will be found to explain a cause of Ahlzeimers.

Those who have concern and love for humanity need to take this information to heart. There is no safety in eating the flesh of animals nor in eating any animal product. The government is not to be trusted when it comes to our health. They have other concerns that compete with human and animal health.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »
These lesions are amyloid plaques. Where else have they been found? How about dogs who have doggy dementia. Researchers say that deposits of beta-amyloid plaques in brain tissues are likely to play a role in canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS). These plaques build up and eventually inhibit transmission of the brain’s neural signals.  Science Central  These plaques appear to be similar to those found in some cows with BSE and the sheep with scrapie.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
What's the problem?

Sheep with Scrapie have been eaten for many years. You see Scrapie is said to not be a problem for humans who eat these diseased sheep. Interesting that the public does not hear anything from anyone about this danger.

The day will soon come when the public will find out about these things. Good to know that the church is doing its job of spreading the light God has given regarding the dangers of eating animals and their products.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
And...do we all remember how it is that the cattle in England are believed to have come down with Mad Cow Disease? It is commonly believed that the cows got the disease from eating dead sheep infected with scrapie.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »
And not only is their evidence that suggests Alzheimer's may be related to spongiform disease, but we find more evidence to suggest that sporadic CJD is not sporadic at all, but caused from eating animals that have spongiform disease.

Experiments have confirmed earlier findings that the BSE and vCJD prions are closely similar. However, in a mouse experiment scientists were surprised to see that while some of the mice developed a disease pattern closely similar to human vCJD, others produced a pattern like a form of sporadic (classical) CJD.  The data suggests that some cases of apparently sporadic CJD in the UK and elsewhere where people have been exposed to BSE prions may in fact be caused by BSE.
MRC

So...in countries like the U.S. who think they do not have a problem with diseased animals causing "mad cow" disease (CJD) in people, they need to re-think their position. Again, we are thankful that we do not have to guess about what to eat and not eat. God is good to send us light regarding the transmission of disease from animals and their products to man.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2005, 08:32:00 AM »
What if my thoughts on CJD prove to be correct and sporadic CJD comes from eating animals with spongiform disease? What does this mean to the ordinary person? It means that they will live with the very real possiblity of already having been infected with the CJD disease. Not only them, but their children. It will be an epidemic. And...it may already be seen if it proves out that Alzheimer's is tied to CJD.

I continue to seek for the scientific evidence to prove this theory of mine. Today, I have found a little more that will move the inquiring mind in the right direction.  From the Lancet Neurology 2005; 4:805-814.

"We studied 114 brain samples from 70 patients with sporadic CJD and three patients with variant CJD. Every patient classified as CJD type 2, and all variant CJD patients, showed POM2/POM12 reactivity in the cerebellum and other PrPSc-rich brain areas, with a typical PrPSc type 1 migration pattern."

What does this mean? It means that some are beginning to question the basis for current CJD classification. It is the proof that we needed to say that sporadic CJD is not that different from vCJD. And, it is very possible that differing strains of BSE that manifest differing patterns will cause CJD. Or that sheep spongiform, Scrapie, or Mink Encephelopathy, or Chronic Wasting Disease may infect humans and cause what has been called "sporadic CJD." The disease does not just happen, it is caused and the most likely cause is the eating of animal products from diseased animals.

If this proves to be true, the human population will be infected to a degree never realized before. The incubation period of CJD can vary considerably. Which means that people that are in their sixties may have been infected 40 or 50 years ago. Or, as in the UK, it may be of a much shorter duration with young people dying from CJD.

One last reminder, there is a very good chance that Alzheimer's is related to this disease also. Remember that upon death around 5% of Alzheimer's patients are diagnosed with CJD. And, remember also that amyloyd plaques similar to Alzheimer's has been found in BSE infected cows in Italy. And, also that these amiloyd plaques were discovered in Scrapie infected sheep many years ago.

The evidence is beginning to grow. Maybe somewhere along the line someone will say something rather profound. Sadly too few have the knowledge they need to protect their families. Who will tell them?

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »
While I suppose that Alzheimer's could be caused in some way by the consumption of animal products I think it is safe to say that the disease is at least somewhat hereditary. I know it runs in my mother's family. Now it could be that animal products cause the disease and hereditary factors make some more susceptible than others. (Of course that could apply to any disease) While my mother had been a vegetarian for over 60 years before succumbing to Alzheimer's last week she was not vegan until the last 5 or 6 years of her life. Very few SDA's who grew up on farms were vegetarian much less vegans. They ate what they raised, whether it be vegetables, eggs or whatever.

Another thing about Alzheimer's is that years ago people would not live long enough to be as effected by it as much as they are now, and then of course way back when it was just called dementia, as were most diseases of the mind that were predominantly in older people.

RichardS

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2005, 07:44:00 AM »
Yes, Brother Sherwin, heredity plays a part in our ability to resist disease. There are indeed faults in our genetic makeup that make us more susceptible to certain diseases. And, there are children born with the infectious agent already in the system. We will find that God has created us in a very remarkable way and works through His laws to keep us healthy.  All die from something. This is a result of sin. What God wants is for us to allow Christ into our hearts so that we might have power to live according to His laws. This will help us to live a more healthful, joyous, and lengthy life.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »
Being a strict vegetarian is not good enough if want to have the best of health. It is only one of many laws that we need to learn about and work into our lives.

Today the minutes from the UK's SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY ADVISORY COMMITTEE (SEAC) September meeting were released. It will be informative for some who are reading along here to note the concern with "fertiser". It may be that you have provided the very best diet for your family with vegetables grown in a home garden. In wanting to do the very best, you have have added bone meal or a fertilizer with bone meal in it. We have reached the point in this world's history where we must consider more carefully what we do in regards to what we eat and how it is grown. We cannot cover all the bases, but we have a God who will. We just need to be educated and do all that we can.

From the minutes of the meeting: "There are
no EU approved rendering plants in India permitted to produce meat and bone meal for use in fertiliser in the EU."

Why the concern about meat and bone meal in India? Because it is considered by some a possibility that human bones may have ended up in meat and bone meal. So what? If the humans had a spongiform disease it could contaminate the foods grown in the meat and bone meal fertilizer. It seems the British are more concerned about protecting their people from this disease now that it is killing people in their country.

How are the infected animals in the U.S. and other countries disposed of? How do you get rid of these infected prions? Very high temperature incineration. In other words there is no safety in using bone meal from animals which may be infected. How about using dung? I don't think so. What animals are not infected by spongiform disease? I don't think anyone really knows. It seems likely that all mammals are open to this infectious disease. It does not just happen, it is caused.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »
The Japanese government lifted a ban on imports of U.S. and Canadian beef last week. Here is an interesting article from Japan where they test each cow for BSE after slaughter.   Japan Times

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
Now that two home grown cows have been confirmed to have BSE in the US you would think that people might be concerned. But, it appears that most continue eating cows anyway. The USDA continues to express their confidence that there is no problem with the safety of meat.

We now have an interesting situation since the American cows do not have the same strain of BSE as did the European and Canadian cows. While there have been a few in Europe with this strain, most had the variant type (vBSE).

Here is a comment that ought to wake up those that are asleep. "A more common form of CJD — not linked to mad cow — can happen spontaneously and is reported in nearly 300 people in the U.S. each year. This form occurs mostly in older people; the average age at death is 68. Some scientists are raising the possibility that the atypical strain also might happen spontaneously in cattle."   Dallas News

"Spontaneously" is a code word for no cause. Which means you can continue to eat "mad cows" since they do not cause "spontaneous" CJD. But, there is a problem here. If it is true that these mad cows in the US just get the disease without any cause, then how can the industry ever make their meat safe? No one is going to want to eat a mad cow even if it is only "spontaneous" Mad Cow Disease.

The day is fast coming when the USDA and the meat industry will have to pay the piper. The connection between human CJD, Alzheimer's, and sick animals cannot be kept a secret much longer.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »
Weather it is kept a secret or not does anyone really think the general public will change their habits? People continue to smoke, not wear their seat belts, have unsafe sex, drink, over eat, etc even though they know it's not the smartest thing to do.

All we as SDA's can do is keep on with the warnings and hope at least some heed them.

Brother Sherwin

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
You are so right, Brother Sherwin. Most will not stop eating meat. It takes a Saviour for most to change their appetites. That is why so many cannot change their appetites, they have no real living relationship with Jesus.

But, the harvest field is white and those who will change their diet will make very good Christians. They may even become Christians in order that they can change their habits. They may want to keep eating steak, but when they contemplate the risk to their children, some will reconsider.

And, enough will either stop or cut back that the meat industry will suffer. It will be very sad because it will be very hurtful to a lot of people. Today would be a good time to get out of the cattle and dairy business.

SA

• http://
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY MEDICINE -- CLASS II

Blood meal distributed between 9/7/2006-2/3/2007.
RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
Darling National LLC, Omaha, NB, by telephone on January 12, 2007. Firm initiated recall is ongoing.
REASON
Some of the exempt bovine blood meal was cross-contaminated with prohibited bovine meat and bone meal that had been manufactured on common equipment and the labeling did not bear the cautionary BSE statement that it should not be fed to ruminants.
VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
1,366,128 lbs.
DISTRIBUTION
WI, TX, NE, TN, CO, and MN

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR FEBRUARY 7, 2007

What's the concern?

Blood meal is a specified risk material for Mad Cow Disease. It is a high risk to humans as well as cows. If you use blood meal, beware. And if you feed your pets food with blood meal, beware.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
Could this be in dog food as well, maybe under a different name, or in bread under a different name?

Here is some information I came across.

BLOOD MEAL, WHOLE
Description

Whole blood meal is produced by spray drying at low temperatures, the fresh whole blood from animal processing plants. The fresh blood is collected in on-site cooling tanks that utilize agitation to prevent coagulation of the fresh blood. Once delivered to the drying plants the whole blood is centrifuged to remove foreign material and then circulated through a disintegrator to rid all remaining foreign particles prior to spray drying.

Typical Analysis

Crude protein 80 %
Crude fat 1 %
Crude fiber 1 %
Ruminant digestible protein 63.1 %

Typical Amino Acid Profile

Methionine  1.0 %
Crystine  1.4 %
Lysine  6.9 %
Tryptophane 1.0 %
Isoleucine 0.8 %
Histidine  3.05 %
Valine 5.2 %
Leucine  10.3 %
Arginine 2.35 %
Glycine 4.4 %

Storage and Handling

Whole blood meal is available in bags or as bulk material. Whole blood meal is packaged in 50 pound poly-lined paper bags.

Caution:  Any recommendations given here should be considered as general only and may not apply in your specific situation.  All final recommendations should be made by a qualified person familiar with your particular circumstances.

Blood meal
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For blood as a food for animals, see Hematophagy.
Blood meal is dried, powdered blood used as a high-nitrogen fertilizer. It is one of the highest non-synthetic sources of nitrogen and if over-applied it can burn plants with excessive ammonia. Blood meal is completely soluble and can be mixed with water to be used as a liquid fertilizer. It usually comes from cattle as a slaughterhouse by-product. It may also be spread on gardens to deter animals such as rabbits, or as a compost activator.

Blood meal, bone meal, and other animal by-products are permitted in certified organic production as soil amendments, though they cannot be fed to organic livestock. In the United States, fear of BSE (mad cow disease) and the related Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease prompted Demeter International—which certifies Biodynamic farms—to completely prohibit the use of bone meal and blood meal, since these could be avenues of infection for BSE.

Blood meal is different from bone meal in that blood meal contains nitrogen, while bone meal contains phosphorous.

Nitrogen is more typically missing from soils than the other elements provided by most fertilizers (phosporous and potassium). Plants grown in soil lacking proper amounts of nitrogen will yellow from the leaves down. Applying blood meal will help plants become green again.

Experts soothe worries about using bone, blood meal
January 7, 2004 The Oregonian by Kym Pokorny

http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/fertilizer1804.cfm

More discussion

http://ufbir.ifas.ufl.edu/chap31.htm

[This message has been edited by Sister Glass (edited 02-08-2007).]

With Christian Love,
Marie

Liane H

• http://
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2007, 04:02:00 AM »
Not sure how they are labeling it on the bottles, but apparently calcium tablets are primarily made from bone meal for both humans and animals.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.