Author Topic: E-Coli Disease  (Read 55972 times)

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Re: E-Coli Disease
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
It is a money thing, always is.  :(

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/health/chi-recall_sep30,1,2885122.story

Recall of meat tops 21 million pounds

New York Times News Service
   September 30, 2007

NEW YORK - A meat company on Saturday issued a nationwide recall for 21.7 million pounds of ground beef products after reports of up to 25 cases of illness caused by suspected E. coli bacteria in eight states, federal officials reported.

The recall, by the Topps Meat Co. of Elizabeth, N.J., covers a wide range of frozen hamburger patties and other products manufactured over the last year and bearing a "sell by" date or "best used by" date between last Tuesday and Sept. 25, 2008, along with the U.S. Department of Agriculture designation EST 9748.

The voluntary recall, an expanded version of one issued Tuesday for nearly 332,000 pounds of Topps beef, was the first in the 67-year history of Topps, one of the nation's largest meat processing concerns.

According to food safety experts, food recalls related to ground beef and E. coli bacteria have reached levels not seen in several years, raising concerns that meat production standards have slipped.

E. coli is a food-borne bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea and dehydration. It usually clears up within a week in adults, but can be deadly in infants, older people and those with compromised immune systems.

Geoffrey Livermore, Topps' vice president of operations, said the recalled products were distributed to retail grocers and food service institutions throughout the United States over the past year. Based on consumption patterns, he said, the company believes most of the products have already been consumed, but he urged people to check their freezers and dispose of any meat covered by the recall.

Previously, notably large recalls of ground beef because of E. coli fears occurred in 1997 -- when Hudson Foods recalled 25 million pounds of beef -- and 2002, when ConAgra Foods had to recall 19 million pounds of ground beef.

END

Google result: "21 million pounds of meat recalled"

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2000, 08:57:00 PM »
Five have died and hundreds have been infected by what is being reported as Canada's worst outbreak of E. coli poisoning. The municipal water supply became contaminated in the small farming community of Walkerton about one and a half hours northwest of Toronto.

Contamination is believed to have come from cattle manure from the surrounding cattle industry. E. coli can be fatal to the very young and the elderly. Warnings have been issued that anti-biotics should not be given as they can cause the situation to become much worse sometimes.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

A. Marttinen

• http://www.tagnet.org/chatham
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2000, 12:52:00 PM »
They're now suspecting 9 deaths from the outbreak. Seven deaths have resulted after the outbreak became public. The other 2 apparently happened when the impure water in the system hadn't yet been reported to the authorities.

Several other communities in Ontario (one just North of Toronto--another near Hamilton) have reported traces of e-coli in their water systems and have recommended boiling water for 5 minutes before using it.

The best theory about the contanimation is that it happened when flooding rains of May 12 caused the manure in farmer's fields to affect town water supplies where the chlorine content was unbalanced.

This has made all of us in Ontario very nervous...especially when rain falls.

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

[This message has been edited by A. Marttinen (edited 05-31-2000).]

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2000, 04:55:00 PM »
Thank you, Pastor Andrew, for the update. It is sad to realize how polluted the water has become the world over. Soon, it will be recognized much more widely that there has been a prophet amongst us. Here is what we (the world) were told over a hundred years ago. "If the Lord had not furnished
all that is essential in the vegetable world, there would be an excuse for meat eating, but animals are now so diseased that it is now really dangerous; it is unclean to eat meat."
The date?  November 1898.

Seventh-day Adventists have been entrusted with truth, truth vital to the interests of every soul walking upon this earth. Let us minister to our neighbors in a way that their hearts will be opened to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Thank you again, Pastor Andrew. How close are you to the area hit by the outbreak?

In His love and grace,   Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

A. Marttinen

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2000, 03:51:00 AM »
Walkerton is about two hours North of Chatham. They are now probing into 11 deaths. Several seniors died of "natural causes" around the time contaminants were found in the water supply. These cases are now being investigated.

The latest town to tell people to boil water is Durham, a village close to Walkerton.

It is interesting (actually, sad) to see how people in Ontario are reacting to the stricken people of Walkerton. They're being treated as if they have some communicable plague. For instance, a children's soccer match was cancelled because parents didn't want their children to have any contact with Walkerton kids--as if someone could catch E. Coli that way!

The media reports that many in Ontario are saying things like: "You expect the government to provide a few basic things such as clean drinking water, garbage pick-up, law enforcement, etc. Now our faith in the government has been shattered."

There are 5 separate investigations into what happened in Walkerton. Of course no one is jumping to admit responsibility. The man who oversaw the water operations and knew well in advance of the problem, but didn't report it, has some lawyer talkining about how he's saddened that people have suggested that anyone was to blame for the tragedy. Some are suggesting that the government had a "damaging report" out on the water supply months ago but budgetary cutbacks lead to them "doing nothing."

Meanwhile hundreds are still sick, several children are still on permanent kidney machines and bottled water keeps looking better and better.

Pray for us.

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

[This message has been edited by A. Marttinen (edited 06-02-2000).]

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

A. Marttinen

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
The latest news is quite disturbing. It turns out that all three wells in the town of Walkerton were rife with the E. coli bacteria.

This wasn't just a matter of a little trickle sneaking into one well. The whole system was contaminated!

Revelations are still coming out from the 5 separate investigations.

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2000, 08:02:00 PM »
Pastor Andrew, we sympathize with the grief and the suffering of so many in your area. The e. coli epedemic is world-wide. I was in Australia and read of an outbreak there also. It is a sign of the times in which we live.

More is coming to light that is quite disturbing. It is something that we must alert our people to. A product known as sewer sludge has been legally spread on farm lands in the Ontario also. This is dangerous when e. coli is in the sewer, but it is dangerous for other reasons also, besides infectious disease. Heavy metals from industrial waste are in the sewer sludge and when spread on farm land finds its way into root crops. This is extremely dangerous for the heavy metals then end up causing kindney problems.
It is something that would be good to keep an eye on and if one has an opportunity to influence an end to this practice, it would be good.

It is good that we have a God that we can turn to in times such as these as well as in good times. Let us find in these difficult times an opportunity to minister to those who are seeking answers and when able, point them to Jesus.

Thanks again, Pastor Andrew. I will ask for prayer in the prayer forum.

In His love and grace,   Richard

A. Marttinen

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2000, 03:54:00 AM »
Thank you for your concern. Check-out counters in our community have small containers with signs in the front that have "For Walkerton Relief" on them.

Curiously enough, the local media has all but dropped the story from the news--I guess they'll pick it up again once the investigations come out with their conclusions.

In the meantime, the government is making "immediate changes" to the way water distribution is overseen.

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

A. Marttinen

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2000, 06:05:00 PM »
This story is getting scant attention on the news--but now the 14th person has died. We had a big rainstorm in Ontario last night and several communities have asked their residents to boil water. St. Thomas (near London) is the latest of the towns to be on "alert."

What's amazing is the "nonchalant" attitude of us Canadians. If an American town had 14 deaths (and possibly twice that before it's all over) and 2,000 people sick, you'd be seeing live transmissions from Congress every day!

Pray for us.

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2000, 07:30:00 PM »
Dear Pastor Anrew,

If there is more efforts towards the planned privatization of the water and sewage systems in Ontario, then there will be more debates on that issue.

Sincerley
Dugald

A. Marttinen

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2000, 01:09:00 PM »
There was a riot against the Provincial government in Toronto yesterday. You may have heard about it in the news. Some homeless advocates roused up a group of goons who faught with poice right in Queens Park, where the Provincial Legislature is. There were some bad injuries (a police officer had to have a cat-scan) but, luckily, no one was killed.

Some say that part of the anger that caused the riot was partly due to the E. Coli issue.
Hopefully this isn't the start of a dangerous summer. When I grew up in Toronto in the 70's we had a reputation of being "Toronto the Good." I hope it keeps this reputation for the GC Session!  

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

A. Marttinen

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2000, 08:56:00 AM »
The coroner has added 4 new names of those in Walkerton suspected of dying because of the E. Coli outbreak, including a 25-year-old who passed away yesterday.

This brings the possible death total to 18. 2,000 were made sick by the outbreak--some take much longer to succomb than others.

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2000, 07:53:00 PM »
Dear Pastor,

Are you aware of any activites by ADRA or other SDA groups to help or demonstrate christian compassion,empathy or tangible assistance in these cases where so many lives and families aare affected?

Sounds like with GC being held closeby next week, we could pray corporately for the people at Walkerton and take up an offerring for the community.

Something like this would help to improve the image of SDA's in Ontario. Can you pass this suggestion along to the right ones.?

Sincerely
Dugald

A. Marttinen

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2000, 04:40:00 AM »
Good idea. Locally the Zeller's stores are asking people to donate their "points" for Walkerton relief, but I haven't heard anything from the Ontario Conference yet.

The local pastor in the Walkerton-Owen Sound area used to be the Canadian Union President, so I'm sure he is aware of the importance of our church's response.

I'll talk to "the brethren."

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2000, 09:40:00 PM »
Dear Pastor,

Please let us know if the response is positive.

Sincerely
Dugald

A. Marttinen

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2000, 12:50:00 PM »
I'll keep you updated after I return from the General Conference.

The news today was that 4 more people from Walkerton turned up very ill from E. Coli now. This is against previous medical thought, which said that the outbreak should have "peaked" weeks ago. Nobody was expecting these new cases. This infection is turning out to be quite insidious indeed.  

------------------
"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

"He Restoreth My Soul"

Pastor Andrew

Lewis

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 06:14:45 PM »
NEW YORK – The Food and Drug Administration said Monday a sample of raw cookie dough collected at a Nestle USA manufacturing plant last week has tested positive for E. coli. Source

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »
Whew! Seventh-day Adventists are safe. We don't eat chocolate.  :)
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Esther 7

• http://
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2009, 12:49:08 AM »
Hmmm....but what if we just eat the dough?  :o :-\ :-X

*just kidding*