Author Topic: Putting Off Getting Ready for the Crisis?  (Read 3122 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Putting Off Getting Ready for the Crisis?
« on: April 01, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »
If you have not thought about a garden, read a little on the light given to us regarding a garden.

When the power invested in kings is allied to goodness, it is because the one in responsibility is under the divine dictation. When power is allied with wickedness, it is allied to Satanic agencies, and it will work to destroy those who are the Lord's property. The Protestant world have set up an idol sabbath in the place where God's Sabbath should be, and they are treading in the footsteps of the Papacy. For this reason I see the necessity of the people of God moving out of the cities into retired country [places,] where they may cultivate the land and raise their own produce. Thus they may bring their children up with simple, healthful habits. I see the necessity of making haste to get all things ready for the crisis.--Letter 90, 1897. 

Can't do a garden? Pray for God to help you do a garden. You will in His time be blessed.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Marelis

Re: Putting Off Getting Ready for the Crisis?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 01:00:43 PM »
These past 10 days where I am there wasn't a single seedling of anything edible and barely any remaining packets of seeds in any of the places where such things are sold. I have seeds. Very severe weather meant I could not grow food these past several months. Even those in the country could not grow food. During this week I believe it was the Lord who directed me to creative gardening ideas for such a severe climate dilemma, about food drying without electricity etc etc.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

rahab

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 07:38:04 PM »
Seeds are in short supply.  :'(  Seems people are afraid there will not be enough food so everyone is attempting to grow their own.
Hopefully you’ve saved some from your crops last year.  ;)

Dorine

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 05:54:54 AM »
No shortage of seeds here yet. There are many stores and individual organic gardeners that have plenty of seeds to offer. We always save our seeds but many do not. One important thing to remember if you want to save your seeds is that you must not buy hybrid seeds. They may do well for a couple of years but then they start changing and in most cases are very inferior.

We sell tomato plants each spring. The original seeds were purchased from local organic gardeners except for just a few that we sent away for. (Tomatofest is a great company). One year we had been at our local market and bought some beautiful beefsteak tomatoes for eating. They had been grown locally. We loved them. I saved the seeds and offered the plants for sale. Customers loved them and for 3 years they were my most asked for beefsteak. Well the 4th year they drastically changed and got smaller and hardly any flavour. Needless to say I learned a very important lesson about hybrids.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 04:24:46 AM »
Hi Richard, when I saw the title of this thread, I originally thought you were referring to spiritual preparation.  The discussion of gardens and seeds is perfectly fine, but perhaps another thread could be created, focused on the spiritual angle.

Here's a classic SOP quote that comes to mind in this context.

It is in a crisis that character is revealed. When the earnest voice proclaimed at midnight, "Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him," and the sleeping virgins were roused from their slumbers, it was seen who had made preparation for the event. Both parties were taken unawares; but one was prepared for the emergency, and the other was found without preparation. So now, a sudden and unlooked-for calamity, something that brings the soul face to face with death, will show whether there is any real faith in the promises of God. It will show whether the soul is sustained by grace. The great final test comes at the close of human probation, when it will be too late for the soul's need to be supplied.  {COL 412.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 06:25:34 AM »
You are so right brother Glen! Right now, some are  more worried about where do you get beans and toilet paper than their souls. Others are sensitive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit regarding their eternal interests. God is attempting to wake up the sleeping virgins!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 06:30:51 AM »
We have much light on how things are going to end. As we near the end of this world history, what ought we be doing to prepare for the crisis that will soon overtake the whole world?

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 10:01:12 AM »
We have much light on how things are going to end. As we near the end of this world history, what ought we be doing to prepare for the crisis that will soon overtake the whole world?

Suppose we go back to the theme I quoted, based on the parable in Matthew 25:1-13.

It's clear from this parable that character cannot be transferred from one person to another, and also cannot be otherwise obtained at the last minute.

It's also clear that character is required in order to have a fitness for heaven, and Revelation 6:14-17 describes a large group of people who are desperate for the mountains and rocks to fall on them, because they're not ready to meet Christ coming in glory.

So where does character come from?  One short answer is that it comes from a process of cooperating with divine agencies, and John 16:13 says that the Spirit will guide us into all truth, and a few verses earlier Christ said that it would come as a reprover.

This answer and process might sound totally obvious.  But many people refuse to yield their hearts, and scoff at cooperation, and believe that any effort on their part is a form of "works".

The Bible and SOP have a great deal to say on this, and I thought I'd post three quotes from Steps to Christ, that I have found especially helpful.

Many are inquiring, "How am I to make the surrender of myself to God?" You desire to give yourself to Him, but you are weak in moral power, in slavery to doubt, and controlled by the habits of your life of sin. Your promises and resolutions are like ropes of sand. You cannot control your thoughts, your impulses, your affections. The knowledge of your broken promises and forfeited pledges weakens your confidence in your own sincerity, and causes you to feel that God cannot accept you; but you need not despair. What you need to understand is the true force of the will. This is the governing power in the nature of man, the power of decision, or of choice. Everything depends on the right action of the will. The power of choice God has given to men; it is theirs to exercise. You cannot change your heart, you cannot of yourself give to God its affections; but you can choose to serve Him. You can give Him your will; He will then work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus your whole nature will be brought under the control of the Spirit of Christ; your affections will be centered upon Him, your thoughts will be in harmony with Him.  {SC 47.1}

It is true that there may be an outward correctness of deportment without the renewing power of Christ. The love of influence and the desire for the esteem of others may produce a well-ordered life. Self-respect may lead us to avoid the appearance of evil. A selfish heart may perform generous actions. By what means, then, shall we determine whose side we are on?  {SC 58.1} 

Who has the heart? With whom are our thoughts? Of whom do we love to converse? Who has our warmest affections and our best energies? If we are Christ's, our thoughts are with Him, and our sweetest thoughts are of Him. All we have and are is consecrated to Him. We long to bear His image, breathe His spirit, do His will, and please Him in all things.  {SC 58.2} 

When we speak of faith, there is a distinction that should be borne in mind. There is a kind of belief that is wholly distinct from faith. The existence and power of God, the truth of His word, are facts that even Satan and his hosts cannot at heart deny. The Bible says that "the devils also believe, and tremble;" but this is not faith. James 2:19. Where there is not only a belief in God's word, but a submission of the will to Him; where the heart is yielded to Him, the affections fixed upon Him, there is faith -- faith that works by love and purifies the soul. Through this faith the heart is renewed in the image of God. And the heart that in its unrenewed state is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be, now delights in its holy precepts, exclaiming with the psalmist, "O how love I Thy law! it is my meditation all the day." Psalm 119:97. And the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 8:1.  {SC 63.2}

Lena

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 06:34:04 PM »
Who has the heart? With whom are our thoughts? Of whom do we love to converse? Who has our warmest affections and our best energies? If we are Christ's, our thoughts are with Him, and our sweetest thoughts are of Him. All we have and are is consecrated to Him. We long to bear His image, breathe His spirit, do His will, and please Him in all things.  {SC 58.2}

My daily prayer is to "please Him in all things."  I can't do this without Him.

Believing in Jesus = Be living in Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 06:34:18 AM »
Amen!  "Abide in me and I  in you" means to be filled with the Holy Spirit. And when we are fully surrendered to Christ, the Holy Spirit will take possession of the heart and bring with Him, love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance which is self control. Not one of these fruits will be missing. Why do we not hear this from the pulpit or is it not printed on our presses?

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." The Desire of Ages pg 676.

Why do so many reject this simple truth?

Dorine

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 07:16:15 AM »
Amen!  "Abide in me and I  in you" means to be filled with the Holy Spirit. And when we are fully surrendered to Christ, the Holy Spirit will take possession of the heart and bring with Him, love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance which is self control. Not one of these fruits will be missing. Why do we not hear this from the pulpit or is it not printed on our presses?

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." The Desire of Ages pg 676.

Why do so many reject this simple truth?

Pride can not accept the fact that one is not converted without all of the fruits manifested so they have to find an answer that keeps them converted (in their minds) and still feed their egos. The answer I mostly hear is that developing the fruit of the Spirit is the work of a life time and we should not be concerned because God will take care of it in His way and His timing. It's interesting that many I hear say this are at the end of their 'lifetime' and still have not progressed. How sad a condition to be in. What sinful habit is worth trading eternal life for? We can have heaven in our hearts right here, right now and enjoy the most precious relationship with Jesus. I think of this relationship as a chain showing our connection to Him. Each fruit is a link in this chain. If one is missing the link is broken and the connection lost. Praise God through repentance, God's grace will repair that connection as if it had never been broken. What a blessed Saviour we serve.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 07:13:59 AM »
Amen dear Sister!  God's love is powerful to changing hearts!

Glen McCluskey

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »
I thought I would post some more Spirit of Prophecy quotes that I have found especially helpful in character development and in making spiritual preparations for the future.

God has given us the power of choice; it is ours to exercise. We cannot change our hearts, we cannot control our thoughts, our impulses, our affections. We cannot make ourselves pure, fit for God's service. But we can choose to serve God, we can give Him our will; then He will work in us to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus our whole nature will be brought under the control of Christ.  {MH 176.2} 

Through the right exercise of the will, an entire change may be made in the life. By yielding up the will to Christ, we ally ourselves with divine power. We receive strength from above to hold us steadfast. A pure and noble life, a life of victory over appetite and lust, is possible to everyone who will unite his weak, wavering human will to the omnipotent, unwavering will of God.  {MH 176.3} 

The work of gaining salvation is one of copartnership, a joint operation. There is to be co-operation between God and the repentant sinner. This is necessary for the formation of right principles in the character. Man is to make earnest efforts to overcome that which hinders him from attaining to perfection. But he is wholly dependent upon God for success. Human effort of itself is not sufficient. Without the aid of divine power it avails nothing. God works and man works. Resistance of temptation must come from man, who must draw his power from God. On the one side there is infinite wisdom, compassion, and power; on the other, weakness, sinfulness, absolute helplessness.  {AA 482.2} 

God wishes us to have the mastery over ourselves. But He cannot help us without our consent and co-operation. The divine Spirit works through the powers and faculties given to man. Of ourselves, we are not able to bring the purposes and desires and inclinations into harmony with the will of God; but if we are "willing to be made willing," the Saviour will accomplish this for us, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5.  {AA 482.3}

He who would build up a strong, symmetrical character, he who would be a well-balanced Christian, must give all and do all for Christ; for the Redeemer will not accept divided service. Daily he must learn the meaning of  self-surrender. He must study the word of God, learning its meaning and obeying its precepts. Thus he may reach the standard of Christian excellence. Day by day God works with him, perfecting the character that is to stand in the time of final test. And day by day the believer is working out before men and angels a sublime experiment, showing what the gospel can do for fallen human beings.  {AA 483.1} 

"Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." What does this mean? It means that every day you are to distrust your own human efforts and wisdom. You are to fear to speak at random, fear to follow your own impulses, fear that pride of heart and love of the world and lust of the flesh shall exclude the precious grace the Lord Jesus is longing to bestow upon you.  {OHC 91.2} 

Man's working, as brought out in the text, is not an independent work he performs without God. His whole dependence is upon the power and grace of the Divine Worker. Many miss the mark here, and claim that man must work his own individual self, free from divine power. This is not in accordance with the text. Another argues that man is free from all obligation, because God does it all, both the willing and the doing. The text means that the salvation of the human soul requires the will power to be subjected to the divine will power. . . . And it is the very hardest, sternest conflict which comes with the purpose and hour of great resolve and decision of the human to incline the will and way to God's will and God's way.  {OHC 91.3}

Man is allotted a part in this great struggle for everlasting life; he must respond to the working of the Holy Spirit. It will require a struggle to break through the powers of darkness, but the Spirit that works in him can and will accomplish this. But man is no passive instrument to be saved in indolence. He is called upon to strain every muscle in the struggle for immortality, yet it is God that supplies the efficiency.  {OHC 91.4} 

Dorine

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 02:31:11 PM »
Thank you Glenn for these timely quotes. They make the way of salvation so very clear.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:22 PM »
Amen!  Dorine and I were posting on this a little while ago in the Desire of Ages Forum. Ellen White brought up "self conquest."

Yes, you are right, Dorine. The foundation of the issue you have given. My concern goes to the deception, though. The righteousness of Christ is a teaching that leads people away from Christ by saying that it is Christ's righteousness, not ours. That is to say, His righteousness stands in place of ours since our righteousness is as filthy rags. In other words, we cannot have a character like the  character of Christ. When we understand what God is trying to do in His church, we understand that it is our character that stands in the way of the second coming. Until we reflect His character more perfectly, He will not come. So, then why tell the church our character is as filthy rags when we are truly converted and manifesting His character, or the righteousness of Christ.

Some will rebel against this, so there is more. The righteousness of Christ is not only imparted to repentant Christians, it is "imputed" also. Why must it be imputed? What can we do about our past sins, our past character? Nothing. Then we must die for our sins. We need His imputed righteousness to cover past "confessed" and "foresaken" sins. And, what about sins that we do not know are sins when we are truly converted? Those who break the fourth commandment, but are truly converted and ignorant of it, will be in heaven because the righteousness of Christ is "imputed" to them. Sins that take us by surprise are not covered neither are sins that are not pre-meditated. If we are in Christ, then we will not sin known sins. Some will balk at this, especially some conservatives.

They are good at telling liberals that Christ is our example and we must obey as did Jesus. That we are just like Jesus and He is just like us. Then, was Jesus surprised into sin?

Then what means "self conquest"?  Character formation is not done without our will being sanctified by Christ. It will not be sanctified until we spend time with Jesus so we can know Him intimately and trust Him with all we are and all we have. Self must turn to Christ in order to be converted and sanctified. Then self must make the effort to not sin, and Christ will give the power to overcome all temptations to sin He allows to come to us. Our (self) part is immeasurably small, and His part is immeasurably large. Self in the manner it is used is our will to choose what to do. We cannot overcome until we are converted and abiding in Christ, but we can choose to learn of God, and by so doing we will see His grace and be transformed, converted. Self conquest is then our part of overcoming and manifesting the righteousness of Christ, the character of God.

Thank you, Dorine for addressing the subject. Our people need to understand more as to how Satan has worked to deceive if possible even the very elect. They will not be deceived because they are looking unto Jesus. They will not believe what is being taught by me or anyone else until they know it is in harmony with the Bible. John the Baptist did not know Jesus was the Lamb of God that had to suffer and die. He thought Jesus, the Lamb of God was going to sit on an earthly throne. This is how deep the deceptions were in Israel when Jesus came to His own and His own knew Him not. So it is today in His church. It is our responsibility to not only take the gospel of grace to the world, but to the church so it will be prepared to receive those seeking the truth. Right now God is not working mightily to bring many into the church because of the heresies and hypocrisy in the church. Jesus is now pouring clean water upon His people to cleanse from sin and filthiness. Let us keep our eyes upon Jesus that we will not want to sin.

Marelis

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 11:35:31 AM »
Amen to everything you said above, Br. Myers.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 07:38:30 AM »
Through spiritualism, Satan appears as a benefactor of the race, healing the diseases of the people and professing to present a new and more exalted system of religious faith; but at the same time he works as a destroyer. His temptations are leading multitudes to ruin. Intemperance dethrones reason; sensual indulgence, strife, and bloodshed follow. Satan delights in war, for it excites the worst passions of the soul and then sweeps into eternity its victims steeped in vice and blood. It is his object to incite the nations to war against one another; for he can thus divert the minds of the people from the work of preparation to stand in the day of God.

Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. When he was suffered to afflict Job, how quickly flocks and herds, servants, houses, children, were swept away, one trouble succeeding another as in a moment. It is God that shields His creatures and hedges them in from the power of the destroyer. But the Christian world have shown contempt for the law of Jehovah, and the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would—He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some, in order to further his own designs; and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them.

While appearing to the children of men as a great physician who can heal all their maladies, he will bring disease and disaster, until populous cities are reduced to ruin and desolation. Even now he is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. These visitations are to become more and more frequent and disastrous. Destruction will be upon both man and beast. “The earth mourneth and fadeth away,” “The haughty people ... do languish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.” Isaiah 24:4, 5.

Some will be tempted to receive these wonders as from God. The sick will be healed before us. Miracles will be performed in our sight. Are we prepared for the trial which awaits us when the lying wonders of Satan shall be more fully exhibited? Will not many be ensnared and taken? By departing from the plain precepts and commandments of God and giving heed to fables, the minds of many are preparing to receive these lying wonders. We must all now seek to arm ourselves for the contest in which we must soon engage. Faith in God’s word, prayerfully studied and practically applied, will be our shield from Satan’s power and will bring us off conquerors through the blood of Christ.—Testimonies for the Church, vol 1; pg 302.