Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7--3rd Quarter 2020--Sharing the Word  (Read 1192 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 7 August 8-14

Sharing the Word

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 7--3rd Quarter 2020--Sharing the Word
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 10:11:44 PM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for this Week: Ps. 119:105, Jer. 23:29, Heb. 1:1-3, 2 Tim. 3:14-17, 1 John 1:7-9, Eccles. 3:1, 2 Tim. 4:2.

Memory Text: “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11

How much would we know without a modern day prophet?

Although nature reveals the majesty and power of God, it doesn’t reveal the plan of salvation. Jesus, through the Person of the Holy Spirit, is the “true Light which giveth light to every man coming into the world” (John 1:9). Still, without the Word of God to fully explain divine truth, the Holy Spirit’s revelation to our hearts is limited. God’s written Word is the clearest and fullest revelation of Jesus, the Living Word.

Although the religious leaders studied the Word of God, many missed its primary message. Said Jesus: “Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.” (John 5:39). Rightly understood, every teaching of the Bible reflects the beauty of Jesus’ character. When we share the Word of God, our primary goal is not to prove that we are right and that the other person is wrong; it is to reveal Jesus in each facet of the truth we share.

Amen! Jesus is to be the center of every doctrinal teaching.

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, August 15.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
Sunday          August 9

Symbols of God’s Word

Read Psalm 119:105, Jeremiah 23:29, Luke 8:11, and Matthew 4:4.

119:105   NUN. Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. 
 23:29   [Is] not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer [that] breaketh the rock in pieces? 
 8:11   Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 
 4:4   But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. 

What five symbols are used to describe the Word of God in these passages? Why do you think these five symbols were chosen to represent the Word of God?

They help us understand what we must do in order to be saved.

The varied symbols used in these passages describe some of the primary functions of the Word of God. When we share the Scriptures with others, it is like a light that illuminates life. Jesus, “the light of the world”, breaks through the darkness of their misunderstanding about who God is and the nature of His character. Minds darkened with a misunderstanding of God are illuminated by the Holy Spirit through the Word of God.

According to Jeremiah, the Word of God is like a fire and a hammer. It consumes the dross of sin in our lives and breaks our hard hearts. When we help people see in Scripture the glory of Jesus, their hard hearts are broken, and the fire of His love consumes the dross of selfishness, greed, lust, and self-centeredness.

The Word of God is also likened to seed. The key characteristic of seed is that it is life-giving. Seed takes time to grow. Not all seeds germinate at the same time. Not all plants grow at the same rate. But under the right conditions, the life in the seed bursts forth through the soil into new life. When we plant the seed of the Word of God in the hearts and minds of others, we will not always see immediate results, but silently the seed is growing, and in God’s own time, if they respond to the Holy Spirit’s promptings, it will produce a harvest for God’s kingdom.

Not all seed with germinate. Why? Because the ground is not fertile. Is there something we can do before we share the Word? What do we do before we plant seed in our garden? Do we just throw seed on the lawn if we want carrots? Do we throw seed upon rocks? What can we do to help the seed germinate?

Jesus likens His word to nourishing bread. As many of us know, there are few things as satisfying as a good loaf of bread. The Word of God satisfies the hunger of the soul and nourishes our inner spiritual longings. As you share the promises of the Word with others and help them discover that Jesus is the Word, their lives will be transformed by His goodness, charmed by His love, amazed at His grace, and satisfied in His presence.

Amen! If we want physical life, we eat bread. If we want spiritual life, we feed upon Jesus. The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us. We must drink His blood and eat His flesh if we want to have eternal life. He is the way, the truth, and the life. He is the "Living Water."

Again, think about the truths that we know only from the Bible. What should this tell us about how much we should treasure what it teaches us?

The Word was made flesh. The Word is the revelation of the character of our God. We cannot trust someone we do not know. We will not know someone unless we spend time with them. This is why Jesus encouraged us to study the Word. How do we get "saving faith?" Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Knowing God is everything. False doctrine is designed to pervert the character of our God.  An example: God is going to burn you for eternity if you do not accept Jesus as Savior. What a lie!!  But, how many believe and teach this?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »
Monday         August 10

The Creative Power of God’s Word

Compare Hebrews 1:1-3, Hebrews 4:12, and Psalm 33:6, 9.

1:1   God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 
 1:2   Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 
 1:3   Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 
 4:12   For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 
 33:6   By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 
 33:9   For he spake, and it was [done]; he commanded, and it stood fast. 

What do these passages tell us about the power of the Word of God?

The Word of God is the Living Word. It carries with it the power to accomplish the things that it declares. Human words can speak of what is, but God speaks of things that are not yet done and then creates them by the power of His word. The Word of God is a creative Word. The audible Word that proceeds from His mouth has the power to create everything that it proclaims.

In the Creation story of Genesis 1, the expression “God said” is used repeatedly (Gen. 1:3, 6, 11, 14, 20, 24, 26, 29). God’s declarative words had such power that when He spoke, dry land appeared, plants sprouted, flowers blossomed, fruit trees flourished, and animals sprang forth.

There is a fascinating Hebrew word used in Genesis 1 for the creative activity of God. It is the word bara. In this particular form, it is used of God’s activity to create something from nothing. The verb is used only when God is the subject. That is, only God alone can bara, and He does so through the power of His spoken word.

God not only created this world through the power of His word, but He sustains and upholds it through His word, as well. The same power that is in the spoken Word of God is in His written word. The same Holy Spirit that was active in Creation was active in inspiring Scripture. He is present when we read the Bible or share it with others. There is life-giving, life-changing, creative power in the Word of God. “The creative energy that called the worlds into existence is in the word of God. This word imparts power; it begets life. Every command is a promise; accepted by the will, received into the soul, it brings with it the life of the Infinite One. It transforms the nature and re-creates the soul in the image of God”. — Ellen G. White, Education, p. 126.

As we personally grasp the promises found in the Word of God, our lives are changed, and as we help others to grasp these amazing promises, the Holy Spirit will change their lives, too.

All after we first allow grace into the heart. We must spend time getting to know God so we can trust Him with all we are and all we have. Then we can claim many of His promises. There are some that we can claim prior to conversion. Which ones?

Imagine: God spoke and it was. How can we grasp what this means? What does this amazing reality tell us about His power? Why should this truth about God’s creative power be comforting to us?

When God created the Earth and all which was on it, we know of His creative power. It was easier for God to create Adam that to re-create me or you. God cannot speak and re-create me. He needs my cooperation to re-create me in His image. What is my part? What is His part? My part is immeasurably small, His part is immeasurably large. Without my part, I will not be transformed and saved. Since we know God created the heavens and the Earth, He is powerful. We stop every seventh day to remember His power and love. Why? Because we need to remember He loves us and wants to re-create us in His image.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »
Tuesday        August 11

The Benefits of Studying God’s Word

There are multiple benefits of studying the Word of God. The apostle Peter tells us that through the promises of Scripture we become “partakers of the divine nature” (2 Pet. 1:4).

That promise does not work for all. Is it a conditional promise? What is the condition that we have to meet in order to become a partaker of God's divine nature?

James speaks of the “engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.” (James 1:21). Paul adds that “the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.” (Acts 20:32). The Bible has a redemptive purpose. Seeing Jesus in all of Scripture, we are changed. By beholding Him in His word, we become like Him (2 Cor. 3:18). “It is a law both of the intellectual and the spiritual nature that by beholding we become changed. The mind gradually adapts itself to the subjects upon which it is allowed to dwell”. — Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy, p. 555.

Read 2 Timothy 3:14-17 and John 17:14-17.

3:14   But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned [them]; 
 3:15   And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 
 3:16   All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 
 3:17   That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. 
  17:14   I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 
 17:15   I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 
 17:16   They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 
 17:17   Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 

What additional benefits come from studying the Word of God?

Writing to his young companion Timothy, the apostle Paul urges him to be faithful to Scripture and shares the benefits of studying the inspired Word. According to Paul, the Bible is “profitable for doctrine”. It reveals truth and exposes error. It outlines God’s plan for the human race. It reproves our sins, corrects our erroneous thinking, and instructs us in righteousness. The Scriptures reveal the righteousness of Christ. They lead us from the folly of our own sinfulness to the beauty of His righteousness. When we see Jesus’ unselfish love in contrast to our self-centeredness, we stand amazed. As we behold in Scripture the depth of His compassion and caring, our lives are changed. When we share His word with others, they, too, are radically transformed. Beholding Jesus in His word, we become more like Him. Witnessing is not about sharing what we think or even what we believe. It is all about sharing the eternal truths found in the Word of God. When the Word of God has incredibly blessed our lives, we have the credibility to tell others how it can bless their lives, too.

Think about a time of difficulty that you personally faced and how the Word of God proved to be a strength to you. What did you learn from that experience?

I can glory in my tribulation. Why? Because tribulation worketh patience. I want to reflect the patience of Christ. So, when trials come, I know if I am abiding in Christ and He in me, I will not be tempted beyond what I can bear and will testify to the power of God to keep me patient during the storm. I want to be a faithful witness. And, my trials are preparing me for a time of trouble such as never was. How about you? Join me in giving glory to God in the middle of a storm.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »
Wednesday          August 12

Applying God’s Word

Someone has counted more than three thousand promises in the Word of God. Each of these promises comes from the heart of a loving God who “is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us” (Eph. 3:20, NKJV). The promises of God are commitments that He makes to each one of us. As we claim these promises by faith and teach other people to claim them, the blessings of heaven flow into our lives. The apostle Paul emphasizes this divine reality in Romans 8: “He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?” (Rom. 8:32, NKJV). The apostle Peter clarifies this promise, declaring that “His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness” (2 Pet. 1:3, NKJV). Through Christ’s death on the cross, and His victory over Satan and the principalities and powers of hell, He has provided everything necessary for us to live a godly, spiritual life. He also promises to provide for our basic, physical needs.

Not to a Laodicean people. Not all are in a Laodicean condtion, but those who are cannot expect to claim and receive these promises. Not all in the world are going to be so blessed, are they? Then what are the conditions? Professing to serve God? Or loving the Lord thy God with all the heart, not 99% of it?

Compare 1 John 1:7-9 and Philippians 4:13, 19.

1:7   But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 
 1:8   If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 
 1:9   If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 

4:13   I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 
 4:19   But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 

If we are walking in the light, are we sinning also? If we sin, we are not walking in the light. Then what is the sin being spoken of in verse 8? If we do not confess our sins, will God forgive our sins, our known sins?

Although these promises are quite different, what do they teach us about the character of God? How have these promises impacted your life?

The promises that we have read in these passages each speak of something different, but the picture of God they give us is very similar. They reveal a God of loving forgiveness, infinite power, and care for our basic needs. They give us the assurance that God cares deeply for us.

Amen!!  God loves us and wants to transform us into His image that He might have witnesses on this dark spot in the universe.

Read Hebrews 3:19; 4:1-3; and Matthew 13:58.

3:19   So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief. 

There is no greater sin than unbelief.

4:1   Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left [us] of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 
 4:2   For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard [it]. 
 4:3   For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 
 13:58   And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

What do these verses tell us about the need for faith?

What is faith? What is "saving faith?" Every man is given a "measure of faith (Romans 12:3). But, in order to be saved, we need saving faith. What is the difference? Faith is believing there is a God. But, the devils believe and tremble. Saving faith is trusting God with all we have and all we are. If we want to see the power of God working in our lives, we need saving faith, otherwise the conditions are not met in the promises.

There are so many wonderful promises of God in the Bible, and when by faith we claim the promises of the Word of God and believe them because Christ has promised, the blessings of those promises become ours. It is a lack of faith in God’s ability to do what He has promised in His word that limits the fulfillment of God’s promises in our lives. Pray that God will lead you this week to someone who needs the hopeful promises found in the Word of God.

What limits God in keeping His promises to you? Would Nicodemus be able to claim God's promises for healing both Spiritual and physical when he came to garden under cover of darkness? Why not? Nicodemus was not born again. Can those who are in the world claim these wonderful promises the lesson is speaking of? Then who can? Nicodemus could not until he loved God with the whole heart. Do you? Or are you going to claim all of His promises born again or not? Can the Evangelicals who say they believe claim eternal life?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 04:02:09 PM »
Thursday        August 13

Sharing the Word

Good news is for sharing. Think about the times in your life that you have been delighted with good news. It may have been the day you were engaged to be married, the birth of a child, a new job, or the purchase of a new car or home. You were so excited that you could not wait to share it.

It is wonderful to share our joy with others, but the best news in the entire universe is the story of Jesus. When we discover new insights in His word about the salvation that there is in Christ, our hearts overflow with joy, and we long to tell someone else. When the religious authorities tried to stop the preaching of the apostles, Peter declared, “For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard” (Acts 4:20).

Amen! One does not have to be persuaded to testify, it comes naturally when we are fully given to Christ. Nothing makes us happier than to share the love of Jesus with others. We live for this. They why are so many lacking a testimony each Sabbath?

“No sooner does one come to Christ than there is born in his heart a desire to make known to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus; the saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart. If we are clothed with the righteousness of Christ and are filled with the joy of His indwelling Spirit, we shall not be able to hold our peace”. — Ellen G. White, Steps to Christ, p. 78.

In Romans 1:14-16, Paul wrote: “I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek”.

The apostle Paul never tired of telling his conversion story. His heart overflowed with joy in Jesus. For him good news was for sharing, and he could not be quiet.

What vital principles about sharing the Word of God do Isaiah 50:4, Ecclesiastes 3:1, and 2 Timothy 4:2 give us?

As we surrender our lives to Christ and His service, He will open doors of opportunity for us to “speak a word in season” or at the right time to those whose hearts He has opened. In all of our witnessing, we must keep three biblical principles in mind: what we say, how we say it, and when we say it.

Who are some people you are in contact with, and how can you be a better witness to them?

Before the priests went into the sanctuary or made sacrifices on the altar of sacrifice, what did they have to do? Wash their hands and feet. What does that teach us about witnessing to others? What did the washing with water represent? How many times have we attempted to minister to others before making sure we were cleansed from sin? If we are not abiding in Christ and He in us, then what have we to give? The Living Water comes from Jesus and if we have none, then we have nothing to give to others. We must first wash our hands and feet symbolizing what happened to the disciples that night of the last supper when they were all vying for the highest place. Self was alive. They were not ready for the cross that was coming the next day. Peter was not ready that night when he denied Jesus. What did Jesus do in order to take away their selfishness (re-convert them)?

Jesus has not come because His church is not ready. Some say otherwise, but it is not so. Jesus cannot come until He has a people can go through the time of trouble such as never was.....without a Mediator. You and I are holding Him up.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »
Friday         August 14

Further Thought:

Read Ellen G. White, “A Knowledge of God”, pp. 87-91, in Steps to Christ; “Bible Readings With Families”, pp. 192-193, in Gospel Workers; and “Bible Work Techniques”, pp. 481-486, in Evangelism.

God is working on hearts all around us. If we have the spiritual discernment to see where God is already working, we will regularly observe opportunities to share His word with others. As God prepares the soil of the heart, we have the opportunity to sow the seed of the gospel. The Holy Spirit prepared the hearts of Nicodemus, the woman at the well, the woman with the issue of blood, the thief on the cross, the Roman centurion, and many others to receive His word before Jesus ever met them. Through the circumstances of their lives and the impressions of the Holy Spirit, they were prepared to receive Christ’s message.

It is true that God has prepared some to receive the gospel message, but until recently in much of North America, Europe, and Australia, it is not very common. Why is that? Then, is there anything we can do since the ground is not fertile? Yes, there is. What did Jesus do in order to prepare hearts? He spent more time healing than preaching. Why? He was preparing hearts for the sowing of the truth. We see the results after the cross when thousands were converted. So, how is it today? We hear little about it, but the "right arm" of the gospel is the health message. Why is that? Because it gives us opportunity to minister to people's physical needs. It shows we love them. It softens hearts. So, we have a part to play in preparing hearts. The Holy Spirit will use us to speak to hard hearts.

We may have a natural hesitancy to ask people if we can pray with them, share a Bible promise, or give them a piece of literature. More often than not when we feel impressed to share our faith with someone else, it is because the Holy Spirit who has impressed us has already impressed that person to receive our witness.

Discussion Questions:

If someone should come to you feeling terribly guilty over something and needed forgiveness from God, what counsel would you give, and what Bible texts would you share? What has been your own experience with guilt and the power of God’s forgiveness in your own life?

If we are truly repentant, then we claim His promises, one of which we already have read. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgives us our sins and cleans us from all unrighteousness." I would not offer of this promise without questioning their repentance. We ought to make it plain that 1 John has a condition. Are we walking in the light? If not, then we must come to repentance. What would you then say? Do you know what to say to someone who is not truly sorry for what they have done, but feel a great guilt because they worry about the consequences rather than serving God? The Bible tells us what brings about a repentance not to be repented of. If we do not have an answer, then we need to know and make the application in our own lives. We ought to place ourselves in a position to sorrow over what we have done in the past to hurt the ones we love, acquaintances, and God.

Sometimes God brings people into our lives because He longs for them to know His truth. How can we be sensitive to God’s leading?

Since I am as a little child and cannot know the way to enter of exit, I go to God for help. Will He give us wisdom and grace to know what to say, or what to do? It is His work that I am doing. Will He leave me without help? Of course not. Then let's seek wisdom more often before attempting to minister to others. We need more of His Spirit and less of our own.

Dwell more on the power of God and the Word of God as revealed in the Creation story and in Creation itself. We can barely grasp the concept of the universe itself because it is so big and so vast. And to think that the God who created it must be even greater than what He created. How can we draw comfort from knowing that the God we serve is so powerful? And not only is He powerful, but He loves us, as well. What great hope can we take from knowing these things about God? And how can this knowledge help us be better witnesses to others about Him?

We need to be in an attitude of prayer continually. We need to be living for Christ. Do we understand that nothing happens in the universe that God does not allow? All things work for the good of those who love God supremely. We need to get first things first. Our first business is to be fully surrendered to God. If we are filled with the Holy Spirit, all else will work out. Maintain our connection with God and ask Him for grace, wisdom, and power. Will God not hear our prayers and answer them in the very best way? We need Jesus! All the time!