Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 21963 times)

rahab

Coronavirus
« on: February 25, 2020, 06:56:17 PM »
It is a RNA virus and those mutate often so there is no sense in making or getting any vaccine of any sort.

It originated with close contact with bats and humans.

Best defense is to keep your immune system strong!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:15:03 AM »
Thank you for that information, Rahab. and, welcome to our fellowship! 

Can you explain why it is that vaccines are developed for the flu each year? Is there a difference between the type of virus?  They are not usually RNAs?  I believe they have a vaccine for other Corona Viruses for animals.

Are SARS and MERS both RNA viruses?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 07:08:57 AM »
Realizing the interest in this possible "pandemic," we have begun this topic to gather more information, and to add a warning that the connection between animal diseases and human disease is real and worthy of study. Having ceased eating the carcasses of dead animals and their milk and eggs over 30 years ago, I have lived twice as long as my father who died young from a heart attack. Are we not blessed to have knowledge of the risks in eating animals products?

Here is an article I found helpful in learning more about the Corona Virus that began in China and is spreading to other countries. It is has been named 2019-nCoV and is being called Covid19.  The 19 indicates it was discovered in 2019. It belongs to the family of corona viruses which include SARS and MERS. They infect humans, other mammals, and birds. The thinking so far is that there is a connection with bats and Covid19. source

While the infection rate world-wide is a concern, how would we compare the numbers to those infected and dying from cancer? Gives pause to wonder why so many neglect to be more concerned about the relationship between eating animal products from animals that have a cancer virus such as dairy cows.source
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 04:04:10 PM »
How does the Covid19 virus spread? Like many other respiratory virus diseases, it can spread when infected people cough into the air. The virus then can infect by breathing in the virus while it is in the air. It can also infect the eyes from the air or by touching  the eyes with hands that have come in contact with the virus. If someone coughs into their hands and then you shake hands with them, the virus will be transferred to your hands. Washing the hands can remove the virus. If not removed, it can then move into the mouth, eyes, nose and infect the individual. Period of symptoms can be from 2 to 14 days after infected. Some can remain without symptoms and can carry the virus to others.

If the virus came from bats, how was it transmitted to those who first became infected?  When we read the  Bible, we may gain much information as to how disease can be transmitted to humans.

rahab

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:53:01 PM »
Thank you for that information, Rahab. and, welcome to our fellowship! 

Can you explain why it is that vaccines are developed for the flu each year? Is there a difference between the type of virus?  They are not usually RNAs?  I believe they have a vaccine for other Corona Viruses for animals.

Are SARS and MERS both RNA viruses?
Thank you. 

They develop the vaccines based on the information already shown in hopes that the same strain will appear again.  Often times it does not.  Unfortunately, people will get sick anyway unless they have a strong immune system. 

Yes SARS and MERS were/are both RNA viruses and mutate often and therefore it is very hard to try and predict how they will mutate....

If you go back in history I believe that we had a  seminary in Minnesota back in the 1918s that had a great cure rate (100%) for those students that came down with the flu.   I believe they used lots of bed rest and did foamentations on the patients.  It would seem to me with that kind of a cure rate, we should all look into this and do these kinds of procedures on those that are sick today!! 

I wish I had more of the details.  Maybe someone here does.  I'd welcome anything that you can dig up. 

rahab

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 06:58:33 PM »
How does the Covid19 virus spread? Like many other respiratory virus diseases, it can spread when infected people cough into the air. The virus then can infect by breathing in the virus while it is in the air. It can also infect the eyes from the air or by touching  the eyes with hands that have come in contact with the virus. If someone coughs into their hands and then you shake hands with them, the virus will be transferred to your hands. Washing the hands can remove the virus. If not removed, it can then move into the mouth, eyes, nose and infect the individual. Period of symptoms can be from 2 to 14 days after infected. Some can remain without symptoms and can carry the virus to others.

If the virus came from bats, how was it transmitted to those who first became infected?  When we read the  Bible, we may gain much information as to how disease can be transmitted to humans.

Not sure.  Ebola apparently came from a cave infested with bats and people went into the cave.  It would seem that people must come in close contact with the animals and breathe the same air that is infested with germs. 

Diseases that cross species barriers seem more prevalent than ever. 

Dorine

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 05:51:28 AM »
It's my understanding (I do not have the source) that bats are even eaten in China.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 06:30:13 AM »
Yes, Sister Dorine,  bats are eaten in China and other Asian countries.  All of the animal world put humans at risk since they transfer disease to humans. It never used to be this way. God revealed in Scripture that while eating animals reduced the lifespan from over 900 to 70 years, there were some animals that were unclean and were to be never eaten. One such creature that was forbidden because it was unclean and would put humans at risk was the bat. From Leviticus:

11:13   And these [are they which] ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they [are] an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the osprey, 
 11:14   And the vulture, and the kite after his kind; 
 11:15   Every raven after his kind; 
 11:16   And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckoo, and the hawk after his kind, 
 11:17   And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, 
 11:18   And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle, 
 11:19   And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat. 

By saying that the practice is found in the Asian countries, is not racist, but it is because many cultures from that area of the world have not the knowledge of Scripture. What the Bible says is unclean does not mean that since Leviticus was written things have not gotten worse. Now, so many animals, fowls, and fish are diseased, there is no safety in eating any animal product. We have evidence before us that many diseases that are fatal are being transferred to humans from the animal world. And, it is not just from eating them. Touch not the unclean thing, for disease is thus being transferred.

It is well known that there are markets in China that sell live wildlife including bats. There is such a market in Wuhan and this is where it is said the disease began. "In recent weeks, Chinese government officials have said they've learned from "past mistakes" —  top officials have reportedly warned lower-level officials to not cover up the spread of the new coronavirus, which has been linked to an animal and seafood market in the city of Wuhan and is now said to be transmissible between humans." source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 07:00:13 AM »
Asia is no longer without light regarding health and disease. God is working in China and there are within this country many Seventh-day Adventist Christians who have access to the principles of health as revealed in the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy. We have many Chinese reading here at Remnant Online, especially before we had to use a firewall to prevent hackers from overrunning our site. Sadly, many are now excluded until we can find a solution.

We have in this Healthful Living Forum 20 years of information on health. For many it will be too much to understand, but if one will slowly read what has been written they will find a blessing. There is much we can do to have a strong immune system that is the key to preventing disease. Also, the Author of these truths we have learned still has the power to heal and raise the dead as Jesus did when He walked on this Earth 2,020 years ago. He is the Great Physician and in Him is life everlasting as well as health for those living on the Earth today. We pray for the people of China, that His light may shine upon their nation.

rahab

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »
It's my understanding (I do not have the source) that bats are even eaten in China.
   :o :o :o          :'(

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »

Oh, they eat all kinds of weird stuff over there.  Of course, some folks eat some pretty weird stuff over here:  lobster, shrimp, clams, etc.  And then there's Kimchi.   Looks and smells just like compost that hasn't finished composting; yum, yum.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 08:41:39 AM »
It is hard to  believe, but some would even eat these:  Take a look

Even not diseased, would you really kill and eat one of them?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 09:14:55 AM »
Yesterday it was revealed Cavid19 (Coronavirus) has come to America. It is in the wild,  beyond those brought into the US already infected. A woman was diagnosed with it after being infected for some time who was not in contact with those who are known to be infected in the US. How did she contract the virus? No one knows at this point. The CDC, the hospital, nor the governor of California will disclose who she is, the town where she lives, nor where she has been that others may have contracted the virus from her. She is in the hospital in Sacramento California, and had been seen at the hospital in Vacaville California which is very close to Travis Air Force Base which is in Fairfield California.

Since she was so very close to those who have the disease in Fairfield, it appears the government is not able to keep the virus out of the public?  And, if they will not disclose where she has been, then others who she does not know, but may have been infected, will not know they are infected until symptoms appear. Meanwhile they will be exposing others to the virus. This is how a pandemic occurs. And, it was going to happen anyway because our southern border is open, and open to those who seek to hurt us. When Ebola was running rampant in Africa, the governments there had the wisdom to close their borders, but no so in California where they have an open border and encourage illegal entry into the United States.

Are we not thankful we have a God who loves us and cares for us?

Read more

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
Solano County health officer said less than a hundred who were in contact with the infected woman are in quarantine. But, here is the truth not being explained. 85 of those 100 were health workers. So, how many who are not health workers who were in close contact, 15? How  many days was she able to infect others? She only was in contact with 15 people? And the people the 85 were in contact with?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 03:50:51 PM »
Something very strange is going on.  We've had SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, H1N1, etc., etc., but never have we had the hype and hysteria over something like this, which has a death rate of only about 2%.  People are beginning to behave irrationally, and the news media is contributing to the hysteria.  If one substituted the word "influenza" for "COVID-19," what would the reaction be?    From the CDC we have this:  "CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."  And that's just in the US.  Of course, many of those who have the flu never go to the hospital.  I went to the hospital once for the flu,  only because the symptoms were worse than usual.  They told me I had the flu and to go home and drink lots of water.   ::)  How many people have died in the US  from this new virus?  ZERO.  Those who have died in other countries are the same kinds of people who generally die from the flu:  the elderly and people with weakened immune systems.  So far there have been around 85,000 cases of COVID-19, and fewer than 3000 people have died.  That's over a period of 2 months.  That can be extrapolated to just over 1 million cases in a year (although it should decrease in the summer), and maybe 36,000 deaths.  Why the panic?

A little common sense would go a long way.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

rahab

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »
seems that this virus is going to be more serious than the 1918 flu because of the incubation period
when outbreaks happen that cannot be accounted for, tells us that this can really skyrocket 

Why would countries like Japan start closing the schools and thinking about closing the churches?

I think that the numbers are being concealed.

We must not think this is just a China problem, or a Japan problem, or a South Korea problem, Thailand, etc. 

stay healthy, eat healthy, rest when tired,  fomentations work !!

symptoms:   fever, dry coughing, shortness of breath

the tests for this are not that good... not everyone is getting tested.... do we really know how many people are infected?

rahab

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 08:27:16 PM »
The only positive thing I can think of is that if spring comes early for us and people get outside in the fresh air and sunshine, it might help bring this thing to an end.

Just reported the first death and the man was in his 50s.  I've heard of some SDA churches in Florida are cancelling outreach programs.  A new outbreak unrelated to the rest, just occurred in Illinois and they are not saying where the person is. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 07:27:38 AM »
If I remember right, only a tenth of a percent die from the flu in the US. While Covid19 is not as bad as SARS, it still has a death rate so far around 2% and its ability to infect before there are symptoms makes it dangerous. 2 out of hundred means that if your church attendance is around 400 then at a rate of 2% how many will die if all are infected? Eight. And if they all are infected with the flu, how many will die? Most likely none. So as I see it, we ought to be concerned if the spread is not contained. While Trump may be more efficient at dealing with the bureaucracy than some other administrations, it does not give me confidence to have our safety in the hands of those who leave cows on the milking line that are infected with Bovine Leukemia Virus, or are allowing sewer sludge to be spread on our farm lands.

If the government will not allow us to know where the infections are popping up, then we are at greater risk than if we knew where the virus was actively working. If we knew where the infected individuals traveled, it would encourage me that the spread was being truly blocked to a degree. Those on the ship were quarantined. Those in a store at the same time where an infected individual went ought to be warned, if not quarantined. If not, then this appears to have the ability to rapidly grow in the numbers being infected.

And, yes, Wally is right about there being a political aspect where those who hate the policies of the conservative administration are hoping that this will turn into a crisis that can be blamed on Trump. How very sad. Our food and water will be made sure, and so will our safety if we do not fear death, for it is only a brief sleep for all love God supremely and are keeping His commandments.

If God allows more time for us, we can expect this outbreak is only a shadow of what is coming very soon. And, God has given to His people a health message that if followed will give us a stronger immune system to resist disease. And, nothing touches those who abide in Christ that God does not allow.

91:1   He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 
 91:2   I will say of the LORD, [He is] my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. 
 91:3   Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, [and] from the noisome pestilence. 
 91:4   He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth [shall be thy] shield and buckler. 
 91:5   Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; [nor] for the arrow [that] flieth by day; 
 91:6   [Nor] for the pestilence [that] walketh in darkness; [nor] for the destruction [that] wasteth at noonday. 
 91:7   A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; [but] it shall not come nigh thee. 
 91:8   Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked. 
 91:9   Because thou hast made the LORD, [which is] my refuge, [even] the most High, thy habitation; 
 91:10   There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. 
 91:11   For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. 
 91:12   They shall bear thee up in [their] hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. 
 91:13   Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. 
 91:14   Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. 
 91:15   He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I [will be] with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. 
 91:16   With long life will I satisfy him, and show him my salvation. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »
Where people gather in large numbers increases the opportunity for widespread infection. Schools, churches, sports events, and our upcoming international General Conference Session. Hopefully things will be winding down by then (June-July). On the other hand, if the virus is still actively spreading, what will happen to our session? It may be that the government will be blocking entry to those from areas experiencing high rates of infection. God is in absolute control.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 01:45:51 AM »
However, it should be pointed out that those who have died so far from COVID-19, are those with underlying health conditions, and weakened immune systems.  Our health principles should make us less vulnerable to this sort of thing.  An golden opportunity to proclaim the health message, the "right arm of the Gospel."