Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 13--2nd Quarter 2018--The Return of Our Lord Jesus  (Read 3248 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
 Lesson 13 June 23-29

The Return of Our Lord Jesus

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Isa. 13:6, 9; Matt. 24:30, 31; Dan. 2:34, 35; 2 Tim. 4:6-8; 2 Thess. 1:7-10.

Memory Text: “For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” Matthew 24:27

The poet T. S. Eliot began a poem with the line: “In my beginning is my end”. However succinct, his words carry a powerful truth. In origins exist endings. We see echoes of this reality in our name, Seventh-day Adventist, which carries two basic biblical teachings: “Seventh day”, for the Sabbath of the Ten commandments, a weekly memorial of the six-day Creation of life on earth; and “Adventist”, pointing to the second coming of Jesus, in which all the hopes and promises of Scripture, including the promise of eternal life, will find their fulfillment.

However distant in time the Creation of the world (our beginning) is from the second coming of Jesus (our end, at least the end of this sinful existence), these events are linked. The God who created us (John 1:1-3) is the same God who will return and, in an instant, “in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound” (1 Cor. 15:52), will bring about our ultimate redemption. In our beginning, indeed, we find our end.

If we love Jesus supremely with all of the heart, then we shall have no end, for today we have eternal life that has no end if we maintain our connection with Christ. "He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." 1 John 5:12.

This week, we will talk about the final of all final events, at least as far as our present world is concerned: the second coming of our Lord Jesus.

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, June 30.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Sunday         June 24

The Day of the Lord

However much we tend to think of the second coming of Jesus as a New Testament teaching alone, that’s not true. Of course, only after the first coming of Jesus, after His death, resurrection, and ascension were we given a fuller and richer revelation of the truth surrounding the Second Coming. But, as with so much else in the New Testament, the Old Testament reveals hints and shadows of this crucial truth long before it will happen. With the doctrine of the second coming of Jesus, the New Testament authors didn’t reveal a new truth; instead, they greatly enhanced a truth that had already been revealed in the Bible. Only now, in light of the crucified and risen Savior, can the promise of the Second Coming be more fully understood and appreciated.

Read the following texts. What do they teach us about the second coming of Jesus? Isa. 13:6, 9; Zech. 14:9; Dan. 12:1.

13:6   Howl ye; for the day of the LORD [is] at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty. 
 13:9   Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.

14:9   And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one. 

12:1   And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation [even] to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. 

Beyond question, the “day of the LORD” will be a day of destruction and sorrow and turmoil for the lost. But it is also a day of deliverance for all of God’s people, those who are “found written in the book” (see also Phil. 4:3, Rev. 3:5, 13:8 ) . This theme, that of the “day of the LORD” as a time of judgment against the wicked but also a time when God’s faithful are protected and rewarded, is found in the Old Testament. For instance, though some will face the “LORD’s anger”, those who heed the call to “seek righteousness”, and “seek meekness” will “be hid in the day of the LORD’s anger” (Zeph. 2:1-3).

Read Matthew 24:30, 31.

24:30   And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 
 24:31   And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. 

In what way do these verses show this same great dichotomy between the lost and the saved at the second coming of Jesus?

As final events unfold, which side we are on will only become more apparent. What choices can and must we make now to make sure we’re on the right side?

We must allow Christ to open our eyes to our true condition. He speaks to the Seventh-day Adventist Church today, and to all professing Christians who remain deceived about the power of God's grace. From the Book of Revelation:

3:14   And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 
 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 
 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 
 3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
 3:22   He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Monday          June 25

Daniel and the Second Coming of Jesus

Though many Jews in the time of Jesus expected the Messiah to overthrow the Romans and establish Israel as the most powerful nation of all, that’s not what the advents of Jesus, either the first or second, were to be about. Instead, God had something so much bigger in store for His faithful people than just a rearrangement of the old sinful and fallen world.

Amen!  He came to this Earth to recreate fallen man in His image and to establish a people who would vindicate His law and establish a solid foundation that would never allow sin to surface for eternity!

Perhaps nothing else in the Old Testament reveals as clearly as does Daniel 2 the truth that the new world does not grow out of the old one, but instead is a new and radically different creation.

Daniel 2 shows the rise and fall of four great world empires — Babylon, Media-Persia, Greece, and then finally Rome, which then breaks up into the nations of modern Europe. However, the statue that Nebuchadnezzar saw in his dream (symbolizing the succession of these four major world powers) ends in a spectacular way that shows the great disconnect between this world and one that will come after the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Read Daniel 2:34, 35, 44, 45.

2:34   Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet [that were] of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces. 
 2:35   Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth. 
 2:44   And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, [but] it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. 
 2:45   Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream [is] certain, and the interpretation thereof sure. 

What do these verses teach about the fate of this world and the nature of the new one?

These verses leave little ambiguity about what happens when Jesus returns. In Luke 20:17, 18, Jesus identified Himself with this stone, which crushed to powder all that was left of this world. The Aramaic of Daniel 2:35 reads that after the gold, the silver, the clay, iron, and the bronze were crushed, they “became like the chaff of the summer threshing floors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them”. That is, nothing is left of this old world after Jesus returns.

Meanwhile, the stone that destroyed all trace of this old world “became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth”. And this kingdom, which arises as a result of the Second Coming, is one that “shall never be destroyed”, and “it shall stand forever” (Dan. 2:44).

Only one of two endings awaits every human being who has ever lived on this planet. Either we will be with Jesus for eternity, or we will disappear into nothingness with the chaff of this old world. One way or another, eternity awaits us all.

That is correct, but it does not reveal what many need to hear. God is not going to burn for eternity all who do not repent. But, before unrepentant sinners disappear into nothingness, before they float away as chaff, they will pay for each and every sin. How? By fire. It is a painful death they will suffer after the thousand years when they are resurrected to face the judgment. It is not right to not tell them of the suffering which will come to all who reject God's grace and eternal happiness.

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." 2 Cor. 5:10. "For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch."  Malachi 4:1.

Here is a very short message which is the whole Book of Jude. It would be good for all who live upon the Earth to read what is written therein.

1:1   Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, [and] called: 
 1:2   Mercy unto you, and peace and love, be multiplied. 
 1:3   Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. 
 1:4   For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. 
 1:5   I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. 
 1:6   And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. 
 1:7   Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. 
 1:8   Likewise also these [filthy] dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities. 
 1:9   Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. 
 1:10   But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves. 
 1:11   Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core. 
 1:12   These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds [they are] without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; 
 1:13   Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever. 
 1:14   And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, 
 1:15   To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard [speeches] which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. 
 1:16   These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling [words], having men's persons in admiration because of advantage. 
 1:17   But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; 
 1:18   How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. 
 1:19   These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. 
 1:20   But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 
 1:21   Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 
 1:22   And of some have compassion, making a difference: 
 1:23   And others save with fear, pulling [them] out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. 
 1:24   Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present [you] faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 
 1:25   To the only wise God our Saviour, [be] glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and for ever. Amen. 

Chamu

Sabbath Afternoon

“Seventh day”, for the Sabbath of the Ten commandments, a weekly memorial of the six-day Creation of life on earth; and “Adventist”, pointing to the second coming of Jesus, in which all the hopes and promises of Scripture, including the promise of eternal life, will find their fulfillment.

I remember vividly the days i was very young in Adventism and i was eager to know what the word Adventist really mean. A very matured Elder explained it me. Being an Adventist not only means that you believe in the "imminent" return of our Lord. It also means that you live in such a way as to anticipate that return by preparing for it. Now the interesting part is we have moved from believing that His soon coming is "imminent". Changes were already effected to the fundamental belief from "Christ’s coming is imminent" to "Christ’s coming is soon". Adventistim calls us to live in the realization that the surely His coming is closer than we first believed.
As the mother watches for the smile of recognition from her little child, which tells of the dawning intelligence, so does Christ watch for the expression of grateful love, which shows that spiritual life is begun in the soul. DA 191.

colporteur

Chamu;

It makes one wonder if they will eventually change the wording from Imminent, to soon, to coming. In other words " Christ is coming."
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
We know that Jesus is even at the doors!! Did not the pope stand in the halls of Congress with two Catholics behind him, one to the left and the other to his right? What more do we want to see? The pope has called for national Sunday laws. What is missing? Only one thing, us. As Chamu has pointed out, "you live in such a way as to anticipate that return by preparing for it." Are we prepared for His coming? No, the church remains in a Laodicean condition. If we do not know the gospel any better than did the Jews, how can Jesus come? He cannot. When He entered the Most Holy Place, He began a work of preparing a people to stand without a Mediator. Many don't know what that means, and many pastor don't believe it.

Jesus would have come long ago if we had been ready. The harvest field is white. Let us do the work entrusted to us. His return is imminent. There will be revival and reformation in the church. Let it begin with me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Tuesday          June 26

Long-Term Prospects

Read Titus 2:13.

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 

What great hope do we have, and why?

Describing his beliefs about the origins of our universe, a lecturer explained that about 13 billion years ago “an infinitely dense tiny mass popped out of nothing, and that mass exploded and from that explosion our universe came into existence”. Just how this “infinitely dense tiny mass” could just pop out of nothing, the lecturer didn’t say. He just assumed, by faith, that it did.

Now, as we noted in the introduction to this week’s lesson, in our origins we find our endings. This is why, according to this lecturer, our endings aren’t too hopeful, at least in the long run. The universe, created from this “infinitely dense tiny mass”, was doomed to eventual extinction, along with all that was in it, which includes humanity of course.

In contrast, the biblical concept of our origins is not only much more logical than this view but also much more hopeful. Thanks to the God of origins, our long-term prospects are very good. We have so much to be hopeful for in the future, and this hope rests on the promise of Jesus’ second coming.

How about the short term? How does it look?

Read 2 Timothy 4:6-8.

4:6   For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 
 4:7   I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith: 
 4:8   Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. 

What is Paul talking about here, and in what is he putting his hope?

Though Paul is soon to be executed, he lives in assurance of salvation and the hope of Christ’s return, what Paul calls “His appearing” (2 Tim. 4:8) . A “crown of righteousness” awaits him, certainly not his own righteousness (1 Tim. 1:15) but the righteousness of Jesus, upon which Paul knows his hope in the promise of the Second Coming rests. Regardless of his immediate circumstances, which were dismal at best (in jail, waiting to be executed), Paul knows his long-term prospects are very good. And that is because he was looking at the big picture, not focusing only on the immediate situation.

Regardless of your own immediate circumstances, how can you have the same hope as did Paul? How can we learn to look at the big picture and the hope it offers us?

We live in the time of the end. Our hope is not in the "long term," but in the present term. If we would learn the gospel message and live it, Jesus would come now. What are we waiting for? What else must happen in the world before Jesus returns? Nothing that cannot happen today, except the revival in the church. That will take more than one day. But, the last steps will be rapid ones. So, don't put this off until the long term. It will not be that long. We see signs of the revival already under way. Let us hasten that day!

What is this "crown of righteousness" that Paul is going to receive in heaven?  Is it something he did not have on this Earth? I perceive the author misses the lesson.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Wednesday         June 27

In the Clouds of Heaven

However central and crucial the Second Coming is, according to the Bible not all Christians see the event as a literal, personal return of Jesus Himself. Some argue, for instance, that the second coming of Jesus occurs, not when Christ Himself returns to earth but when His Spirit is made manifest in His church on earth. In other words, Christ’s second coming is accomplished when the moral principles of Christianity are revealed in His people.

How thankful we can be, however, that this teaching is false. If it were true, what long term hope would we really have?

Both are true. Too bad more pastors do not teach that Jesus will come when His church reveals the character of Jesus.

Read the following New Testament texts about the Second Coming. What do they reveal about the nature of Christ’s return?

Matt. 24:30

1 Thess. 4:16

Matt. 26:64

Rev. 1:7

2 Thess. 1:7-10

“The firmament appears to open and shut. The glory from the throne of God seems flashing through. The mountains shake like a reed in the wind, and ragged rocks are scattered on every side. There is a roar as of a coming tempest. The sea is lashed into fury. There is heard the shriek of a hurricane like the voice of demons upon a mission of destruction. The whole earth heaves and swells like the waves of the sea. Its surface is breaking up. Its very foundations seem to be giving way. Mountain chains are sinking. Inhabited islands disappear. The seaports that have become like Sodom for wickedness are swallowed up by the angry waters. Babylon the great has come in remembrance before God, ‘to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of His wrath.’” — Ellen G. White, The Great Controversy , p. 637.

The return of Jesus is such a massive event that it literally brings the world as we know it to an end. When it happens, everyone will know it, too. What Jesus accomplished for us at the first coming will be made fully manifest at the second.

How should living with the reality of the Second Coming impact how we live now? How should it help us remember what the really important things in life are?

If we love Jesus supremely, what difference does it make? Are we Christians because we get to go to heaven? Or are we Christians because we have been transformed in character because we love Jesus supremely? If we really want to see and end to suffering and death, it is in our hands to bring this to an end. Jesus will not come until He has prepared a people to go through a time of trouble such as never was without an Intercessor.

Upon the crystal sea before the throne, that sea of glass as it were mingled with fire,—so resplendent is it with the glory of God,—are gathered the company that have “gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name.” With the Lamb upon Mount Zion, “having the harps of God,” they stand, the hundred and forty and four thousand that were redeemed from among men; and there is heard, as the sound of many waters, and as the sound of a great thunder, “the voice of harpers harping with their harps.” And they sing “a new song” before the throne, a song which no man can learn save the hundred and forty and four thousand. It is the song of Moses and the Lamb—a song of deliverance. None but the hundred and forty-four thousand can learn that song; for it is the song of their experience—an experience such as no other company have ever had. “These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever He goeth.” These, having been translated from the earth, from among the living, are counted as “the first fruits unto God and to the Lamb.” Revelation 15:2, 3; 14:1-5. “These are they which came out of great tribulation;” they have passed through the time of trouble such as never was since there was a nation; they have endured the anguish of the time of Jacob’s trouble; they have stood without an intercessor through the final outpouring of God’s judgments. But they have been delivered, for they have “washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.” “In their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault” before God. “Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple: and He that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.” They have seen the earth wasted with famine and pestilence, the sun having power to scorch men with great heat, and they themselves have endured suffering, hunger, and thirst. But “they shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.” Revelation 7:14-17.

In all ages the Saviour’s chosen have been educated and disciplined in the school of trial. They walked in narrow paths on earth; they were purified in the furnace of affliction. For Jesus’ sake they endured opposition, hatred, calumny. They followed Him through conflicts sore; they endured self-denial and experienced bitter disappointments. By their own painful experience they learned the evil of sin, its power, its guilt, its woe; and they look upon it with abhorrence. A sense of the infinite sacrifice made for its cure humbles them in their own sight and fills their hearts with gratitude and praise which those who have never fallen cannot appreciate. They love much because they have been forgiven much. Having been partakers of Christ’s sufferings, they are fitted to be partakers with Him of His glory. The Great Controversy, pg 649.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Thursday          June 28

The Living and the Dead

Before raising His friend Lazarus from the tomb, Jesus uttered these words: “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:  ” (John 11:25). Rather, though, than just asking people to take His word about such an incredible claim, He then proceeded to raise Lazarus from death, who had been dead long enough for the corpse to start stinking (John 11:39) .

Those who believe in Jesus do, indeed, die. However, as Jesus said, though they may die, they will live again. This is what the resurrection of the dead is all about. And this is what makes the second coming of Jesus so central to all our hopes.

According to these texts, what happens to the dead in Christ when Jesus returns? Rom. 6:5; 1 Thess. 4:16; 1 Cor. 15:42-44, 53-55.

The great hope of the Second Coming is that the resurrection from the dead that Jesus Himself experienced will be what His faithful followers of all the ages will experience, as well. In His resurrection they have the hope and assurance of their own.

What happens to those who are alive when Jesus returns? Phil. 3:21, 1 Thess. 4:17.

The faithful ones alive when Jesus returns will retain a physical body, but not in its present state. It will be supernaturally transformed into the same kind of incorruptible body that the ones raised from dead will have, as well. “The living righteous are changed ‘in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye.’ At the voice of God they were glorified; now they are made immortal and with the risen saints are caught up to meet their Lord in the air”. — Ellen G. White, The Great controversy , p. 645.

Make a list of all the things of this world that are so important to you that you would rather sacrifice eternal life in order to retain them now. What’s on the list?

A house on the golf course?  Expensive large new home?  Expensive luxury car?  Obtaining everlasting life in a world without sin is not good enough? Or can we have both?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Friday          June 29

Further Thought: The second coming of Jesus isn’t the epilogue, the appendix, or the afterword to the sad story of human sin and suffering in this fallen world. Instead, the Second Coming is the grand climax, the great hope of the Christian’s faith. Without it, what? The story of humanity just goes on and on, one miserable scene after another, one tragedy after another, until it all ends only in death. Apart from the hope that Christ’s return offers us, life is, as William Shakespeare wrote, “a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” And yet, we have this hope because the Word of God confirms it for us, over and over. We have this hope because Jesus ransomed us with His life (Mark 10:45), and Jesus is indeed coming back to get what He paid for. The stars in the heavens don’t speak to us of the Second Coming. The birds chirping in the trees don’t herald it. In and of themselves, these things might point to something good, something hopeful, about reality itself. But they don’t teach us that one day, when Jesus returns, “In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.” (1 Cor. 15:52). They don’t teach us that one day we will look up and “see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.” Mark 14:62. No, we know these things because they have been told to us in the Word of God, and we trust in what the Word promises us.

Discussion Questions:

Think about what it would mean if the second coming of Jesus really were nothing more than what some believe it is: the full expression of Christian principles in the lives of Christ’s followers. However wonderful a display that would be, in the end, why does it leave us without any hope?

Why is the currently popular idea that the universe arose from nothing such a silly idea? Why would people promote such a notion, and why do some believe it? Why is belief in an eternally existing God, who created all things, so much more logical and rational an explanation for the universe?

Share with your class the things you put on a list of what you find so important in this life that you would sacrifice the hope of eternity in order to keep them now. What can you learn from one another about what’s on the lists? If people have nothing on their lists, how can we make sure then that nothing in our lives is truly keeping us from salvation, as will be the case with many people?

The author of our lessons points out that there are some things that can keep us from heaven. How can that be? Is there something we have to give up to enter heaven? I thought Jesus did it all for us? He asks a really important question as we close this quarter's lessons. "How can we make sure then that nothing in our lives is truly keeping us from salvation?" That is a really good question. How will you answer it?

The answer to that question is the responsibility of the pastors and teachers in the church. The teacher needs to go out on the limb  and answer it. Is it that important that we know if we are not going to heaven? Jesus speaks to our church today. If we listen to Him, we will understand the danger that we are in as a people.

3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
 3:22   He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 

Apparently the "many" the author speaks of, are not just those in the world, but many in the church also. So, we go  back to his question, what can keep you out of heaven? Only one thing, sin. Is it sin to want a fancy home more than Jesus? It reveals that one has not been changed in heart.

The author of the lesson pointed out from Scripture that when Jesus comes we shall be changed. What does this mean? I thought we needed to be changed before He comes? Which is it? The Bible is never wrong. Jesus spoke the truth, we shall be changed IF we were already changed. Answer what appears to be a contradiction. If we cannot answer the question, we remain in grave danger.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
If we love Jesus supremely with all of the heart, then we shall have no end, for today we have eternal life that has no end if we maintain our connection with Christ. "He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." 1 John 5:12.

“Love one another, as I have loved you” (John 15:12); when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished. We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts. God's Amazing Grace 54

Christ came to our world to restore the moral image of God in man. He takes human agents into co-partnership with Himself, giving them the breath of His own Spirit, the life of His own life, that they may be enlightened and have expanded ideas of what life means. To all who obtain a correct view of their duty in regard to their fellow men, Christ gives power to obtain righteousness, and to do their work successfully. These breathe the atmosphere that surrounds the soul of Christ. They live the true life that Christ lived in our world. Ms 147, 1897
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head. Luke 9:58

Revelation 14:
1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:
3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

"A house on the golf course?  Expensive large new home?  Expensive luxury car?"

If Christ were here today, claiming to have words that are "spirit" and "life" (John 6:63), yet "homeless", He would seem to many as an extreme fanatic; thus, many will view the true and genuine LATTER DAY SAINTS, as they go out two and two (Mark 6:7; Luke 10:1, declaring that the kingdom of God is at hand.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Amen, Brother Glen!