Author Topic: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 12--3rd Quarter 2017--Living by the Spirit  (Read 4703 times)

Wally

• Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Lesson 12 September 9-15

Living by the Spirit

Commentary in Navy                  Inspiration in Maroon

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: SDA Sabbath School Lesson 12--3rd Quarter 2017--Living by the Spirit
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
Sabbath Afternoon

Read for This Week’s Study: Gal. 5:16-25; Deut. 13:4, 5; Rom. 7:14-24; Jer. 7:9; Hos. 4:2; Matt. 22:35-40.

Memory Text: “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” Galatians 5:16

One of the most beloved Christian hymns is Robert Robinson’s “Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing.” Robinson, however, was not always a man of faith. The death of his father left him angry, and he fell into debauchery and drunkenness. After hearing the famous preacher George Whitefield, Robinson surrendered his life to the Lord, became a Methodist pastor, and wrote that hymn, which originally included the lines: “Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it. Prone to leave the God I love.”

Uncomfortable with the line about the Christian heart’s wandering, someone changed the words to read: “Prone to worship, Lord, I feel it, Prone to love the God I serve.”

Despite the editor’s good intentions, the original words accurately describe the Christian struggle. As believers we possess two natures, the flesh and the Spirit, and they are in conflict. Although our sinful nature will always be “prone” to wander from God, if we are willing to surrender to His Spirit, we do not have to be enslaved to the desires of the flesh. This is the thrust of Paul’s message in the texts for the week.

When we are surrendered to Jesus we are no longer slaves to the flesh, but are empowered to keep the flesh under. Being willing to surrender is not good enough. Many want to surrender, but the flesh has the control. Paul explains he wanted to serve God, but he did not know how before he was converted. "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not." Romans  7:18.      We must surrender, then we will not serve the flesh, but the Spirit. It is when we lose our connection with Christ that we sin by walking after the flesh.

Paul (Saul) did not know how to surrender, it is not something we can do in and of ourselves. It is something we have to learn, it does not come naturally, neither will God do what He has told us we must do. What must I do in order to come to the point of a whole heart surrender?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »
Sunday September 10

Walking in the Spirit

Read Galatians 5:16.

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 

Amen! If we are filled with the Spirit, we will walk in the Spirit. If we do not walk in the Spirit, we do have the Spirit, and then we cannot help but sin (walk in the flesh).
What does the concept of “walking” have to do with a life of faith? Deut. 13:4, 5;

Read Rom. 13:13; Eph. 4:1, 17; Col. 1:10.

13:13   Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. 

4:1   I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, 
 4:17   This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 

1:10   That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; 

“Walking” is a metaphor drawn from the Old Testament that refers to the way a person should behave. Paul, himself a Jew, makes use of this metaphor often in his letters to describe the type of conduct that should characterize the Christian life. His use of this metaphor is also likely connected to the first name that was associated with the early church. Before the followers of Jesus were called Christians (Acts 11:26), they were known simply as followers of “the Way” (John 14:6, Acts 22:4, 24:14). This suggests that, at a very early date, Christianity was not merely a set of theological beliefs that centered on Jesus but was also a “way” of life to be “walked.”

"Should characterize", and "to be walked"?  Better to express the reality that if one is really in a converted state, he will walk in the Spirit and his life will characterize the Christian life. It is when one is not fully surrendered to Christ that his life does not reveal Christ.

In what way is Paul’s metaphor about walking different from that found in the Old Testament? Compare Exod. 16:4; Lev. 18:4; Jer. 44:23 with Gal. 5:16, 25; Rom. 8:4.

Conduct in the Old Testament simply was not defined as “walking” but more particularly as “walking in the law.” Halakhah is the legal term Jews use to refer to the rules and regulations found in both the law and the rabbinic traditions of their forefathers. While Halakhah usually is translated “the Jewish law,” the word actually is based on the Hebrew word for “to walk” and literally means “the way of going.”

Paul’s comments about “walking in the Spirit” are not contrary to obedience to the law. He is not proposing that Christians should live in a way that violates the law. Again, Paul is not opposed to the law or to obedience to the law. What he is opposed to is the legalistic way in which the law was being misused. The genuine obedience that God desires never can be achieved by outward compulsion but only by an inward motivation produced by the Spirit (Gal. 5:18).

What has been your own experience of “walking in the Spirit”? How do you do that? What practices in your life make this kind of walk more difficult?

We walk in the Spirit because we have made a full surrender to Christ which allows the Holy Spirit to take possession of the whole heart. Any practice that is contrary to what we know to be truth reveals that it is impossible to walk in the Spirit because the Spirit is not in us.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »
I have found that to "walk in the Spirit" is the natural outflow of union and communion with Christ by beholding His loveliness. His love motivates me to make a full heart surrender, and I am encouraged to keep my eyes fixed upon Him in the most fiery trials, that His loveliness may shine forth through me to bless others. I find that it is a joy to walk in the Spirit revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit when I really believe that God loves me and means to do me good, and that all of His biddings are invitations to what is best for me and others. I love Jesus and it is His love that makes the walk so pleasant even if life's path has trials (for it will). It is when I keep my eyes fixed upon the Guide, Christ Jesus, that I rejoice in Him along the pathway to heaven, and find that there is no room for sloth, selfishness, murmuring, complaining, or any of the other works of the flesh--no matter how many times I may have fallen in the past or how many professed believers around me are engaging in the flesh--so long as I behold Jesus and trust fully in Him with all the heart and all the mind, His promise to keep me from falling into sin will be fulfilled (1 Corinthians 10:13). Praise God for such a Savior!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! Such a powerful and simple gospel message. Christ yearns to re-create each of us!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:20:32 AM »
Monday September 11

The Christian’s Conflict

“For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would” (Gal. 5:17
; see also Rom. 7:14-24). How have you, in your own life as a believer, experienced the harsh and painful reality of these words?

The struggle that Paul describes is not the struggle of every human being; it refers specifically to the inward tug-of-war that exists in the Christian. Because humans are born in harmony with the desires of the flesh (Rom. 8:7), it is only when we are born anew by the Spirit that a real spiritual conflict begins to emerge (John 3:6). This does not mean that non-Christians never experience moral conflict; they certainly do. But even that conflict is ultimately a result of the Spirit. The struggle of the Christian, however, takes on a new dimension, because the believer possesses two natures that are at war with one another, the flesh and the Spirit.

Throughout history, Christians have longed for relief from this struggle. Some have sought to end the conflict by withdrawing from society, while others have claimed that the sinful nature can be eradicated by some divine act of grace. Both attempts are misguided. Though by the Spirit’s power we certainly can subdue the desires of the flesh, the conflict will continue in various ways until we receive a new body at the Second Coming. Fleeing from society does not help, because no matter where we go, we take the struggle with us, and we will until death or the Second Coming.

Because we possess two natures, we are literally on both sides of the battle at once. The spiritual part of us desires what is spiritual and detests the flesh. The fleshly part of us, however, longs for the things of the flesh and opposes what is spiritual. Because the converted mind is too weak to resist the flesh by itself, the only hope we have of subduing the flesh is by making a daily decision to side with the Spirit against our sinful selves. This is why Paul is so insistent that we choose to walk in the Spirit.

From your own experience of the battle between these two natures, what advice wou ld you give to a Christian who is trying to come to terms with this never-ending struggle with self?

We would counsel the professing Christian to cease going to man for wisdom and turn to Inspiration. The deceptions abound in the world and in the church. The gospel has power. Grace transforms the nature of the repentant sinner at conversion. It is true that the truly converted Christian remains in sinful flesh, but the flesh is kept under and is not allowed to get up when the nature of Christ has control of the heart and mind.

Let's look at the teacher's statement which reveals his misunderstanding of the power of the gospel message. "Because the converted mind is too weak to resist the flesh by itself...." The "converted mind" is the mind of Christ and has power to resist the flesh. It keeps the flesh under at all times. It is Christ, not I who has power to resist the greatest temptation that God allows to come to all who are truly in a converted state, fully surrendered to Jesus. "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus." Philippians 2:5.

If we are tempted beyond what we can bear, and the flesh gets up, then what do we say about God's promise that we shall not be tempted beyond what we can bear? "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." 1 Cor. 10:13.
This promise has a condition in order that we may claim it. We must be filled with the Spirit of God in order to claim it. We must be in a converted state, we must be fully surrendered to Jesus. This is the great deception in the church, that we may have salvation when we are not filled with the Spirit, when we are not converted. Romans chapter seven is not a converted Christian, it is one who sees himself in bondage to sin because he is not fully surrendered to Jesus.

Until the church takes control of its teachings and casts out the false gospels, the church will remain in a Laodicean condition, which is a lost condition. Grace has power to transform the carnal mind into the "mind of Christ." Grace is not just a word, it is the power that transforms the thief on the cross into a saint that has faith to believe all that Jesus commands. Even though all others had not faith to believe Jesus to be Savior, the dying thief did. He will be in heaven with all who keep the commandments of God had the faith of Jesus.

For those steeped in deception compare Romans seven with Romans 8:1-14.

8:1   [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:2   For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 
 8:3   For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 
 8:4   That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 
 8:5   For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 
 8:6   For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 
 8:7   Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 
 8:8   So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 
 8:9   But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 
 8:10   And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness. 
 8:11   But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 
 8:12   Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 
 8:13   For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 
 8:14   For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 

These verses tell the truth about the converted mind. It is no longer carnal. "For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." The mind that has not power to keep the commandments is carnal. When the Spirit takes possession of the mind, He mortifies the deeds of the body (the flesh). Then "ye shall live." Who are the sons of God? Those who are being "led by the Spirit." Who is not condemned? "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 8:1.

Why do many of the "new" bibles leave out the last part of this verse? Because it tells us who "are in Christ Jesus," and who is not condemned and who it is that has eternal life, those "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Good works, keeping the law of God, does not save us, but is the fruit of conversion of the mind and heart. Those who refuse to give the whole mind to Christ will not be in heaven, they do not have salvation. To teach otherwise is to lead souls to perdition.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:54:14 AM »
Amen! The truth of the power of the gospel enables the converted mind, the "mind of Christ" (which is filled with the Holy Spirit) to live in harmony with God's law and to keep the flesh under. If we teach anything other than the truth of the gospel, we actually confirm souls in a Laodicean condition of thinking that their wandering into sin in the mind (yielding by their thoughts to temptation) is just "normal," rather than something to be resolutely resisted by the power of the divine nature that is STRONGER than the flesh! Let us believe it and share it by living it! Praise God that we can know the truth from the Bible!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
Let us look again at the statement made in Monday's lesson. It is quite revealing.

"Because the converted mind is too weak to resist the flesh by itself, the only hope we have of subduing the flesh is by making a daily decision to side with the Spirit against our sinful selves. This is why Paul is so insistent that we choose to walk in the Spirit.
"

If we believe as is stated here, that conversion leaves the mind free to sin, then that means converted Christians sin. This is why so many pastors teach Romans seven to be the Christian experience. We do what we ought not do and we do not do what we ought to do. This is far from the experience of all who are truly in a converted state.

The statement made in Monday's lesson would have us be converted, then after surrendering to Christ, we would have to then work towards keeping the law. Already having chosen Christ as Savior, we would then have to strive to walk in the Spirit. This is Phariseeism. Our work is to behold Jesus that the heart would go out to Him. Then, we must cling to Christ that being connected with Him, the Spirit empowers the mind to keep the flesh under control. We must maintain our connection with Christ. Yes, we must obey, but the power to obey comes from the connection with Christ. We must get these in the correct order. We must first give the whole heart to Christ, which comes after we behold His grace, then being filled with the Spirit, we will manifest the fruits of the Spirit and obey all we know to do.

We do not choose to walk in the Spirit. We choose to love God because His grace has come into the heart. Then, we do not choose to walk in the Spirit, we walk in the Spirit because we have surrendered the whole heart to Christ and have the mind of Christ, not a reprobate mind which is weak and cannot obey. The carnal mind belongs to all who are not fully surrendered to Jesus. It has no power to obey. It is aligned with Satan and sin. The everlasting covenant which promises enmity towards Satan and sin is only operative when man is fully surrendered and then the law is written on the heart and mind of the truly repentant and converted Christian.

In conclusion, if we sin, it is not because we have not chosen to walk in the Spirit, but because we are not fully surrendered to Christ. Our work then, is to ask Jesus back into the heart. He stands at the door knocking, the question is, will we let Him in? If we love Him with the whole heart, we will. If we have allowed the mind to wander away from Him, then how long will it take to be reconciled to Him? How long will it take to remember His great love and sacrifice for me? It is this grace that brings about a full surrender and transforms the life.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
Tuesday September 12

The Works of the Flesh

Having introduced the conflict that exists between the flesh and the Spirit, Paul in Galatians 5:18-26 elaborates on the nature of this contrast by means of a list of ethical vices and virtues. The catalog of vices or virtues was a well-established literary feature present in both Jewish and Greco-Roman literature. These lists identified behavior to be avoided and virtues to be emulated.

Yes, and no. These two lists tell us who is saved and who is not. If we want to know if we have life, then look at the behavior. We all know this without being told, but because of false teachers, many have been led astray. They believe they can manifest the works of the flesh and retain salvation. No. Paul tells us those who do such things will not inherit heaven. The righteousness of Christ will not cover one unconfessed or unforsaken sin (works of the flesh). Jesus tells us that if want to judge, then we can judge by their fruits. In Matthew:

7:13   Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 
 7:14   Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 
 7:15   Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 
 7:16   Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 
 7:17   Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 
 7:18   A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 
 7:19   Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 
 7:20   Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 

Carefully examine the vice and virtue lists in the passages below. In what ways are Paul’s lists in Galatians 5:19-24 similar to yet different from these lists? Jer. 7:9; Hos. 4:2; Mark 7:21, 22; 1 Tim. 3:2, 3; 1 Pet. 4:3; Rev. 21:8.

Although Paul was well aware of vice and virtue lists, there are significant differences in the way he uses the two lists in Galatians. First, even though Paul contrasts the two lists, he does not refer to them in the same manner. He labels the vice list as the “works of the flesh” but the virtue list as the “fruit of the Spirit.” This is an important distinction. As James D. G. Dunn writes, “The flesh demands, but the Spirit produces. Where the one list breathes an air of anxious self-assertiveness and frenetic self-indulgence, the other speaks more of concern for others, serenity, resilience, reliability. The one features human manipulation, the other divine enabling or engracing, reinforcing the point that inner transformation is the source of responsible conduct.” — The Epistle to the Galatians, p. 308.

The second intriguing difference between Paul’s two lists is that the vice list is deliberately labeled as plural in number: “works of the flesh.” “Fruit of the Spirit,” however, is singular. This difference may suggest that the life lived in the flesh can promote nothing more than division, turmoil, divisiveness, and disunity. In contrast, the life lived in the realm of the Spirit produces one fruit of the Spirit, which manifests itself in nine qualities that foster unity.

The Fruits of the Spirit are one in that they all come together, they cannot be separated. When fully surrendered (converted) the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart and brings with Him all of the fruit, not just one or two. It is interesting to note that the works of the flesh, reveal separation from God and eternal life. Yet, we are to believe that we can be converted and have a weak mind that cannot resist the works of the flesh. That is to say, we do what we ought not (sin), and retain salvation. No, none will enter heaven who do such things (Gal 5:21).

In this context, some people claim that what a person believes about God does not really matter as long as he or she is sincere. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Paul’s list of vices suggests the opposite: corrupt views about God lead to distorted ideas about sexual behavior and religion, and ethics, resulting in the breakdown of human relationships. Furthermore, they can lead to the loss of eternal life, as well (Gal. 5:21).

False teaching allows professing Christians to believe they have eternal life (salvation) when they walk in the flesh. This is a lie. We are not condemned when we walk in the Spirit, not when we walk in the flesh (Romans 8:1).

Look through the list of “works of the flesh.” In what ways can you see each as a violation of one or more of the Ten Commandments?

Like the ten commandments, all one must do to reveal he is not abiding in Christ is to sin one sin. " 2:10   For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all." James 2:10.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
Wednesday September 13

The Fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-24)

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."
(Gal. 5:22, 23,). In what ways does obedience to the Ten Commandments reflect the fruit of the Spirit as it is expressed in these verses? (See also Matt. 5:21, 22, 27, 28; 22:35-40.)

Love to God and to neighbor is the foundation of all the commandments.

The Ten Commandments are not an alternative to love; they help guide us in how we are to show love, both to God and to humankind. However much it might transcend the letter of the law, love is not in conflict with the law. The idea that love for God and love for our neighbor void the Ten Commandments makes about as much sense as saying that love for nature voids the law of gravity.

Also, in contrast to the fifteen one-word descriptions of the works of the flesh, the fruit of the Spirit is described in nine elegant virtues. Scholars believe these nine virtues are organized into three clusters of three, but there is little agreement on the significance of their order. Some see an implicit reference to the Trinity in the number three; others believe the three triads reflect the ways in which we should relate to God, to our neighbor, and finally to ourselves; and others see the list as essentially a description of Jesus. Though each of these views has some merit, the most significant point not to be overlooked is the supreme importance Paul places on love in the Christian life.

Yes, love is the foundation, but most important to a Laodicean church is that everyone of these fruits are seen in the life of a converted Christian at the moment he is converted, and remains in the life as long as the Christian remains converted.

The fact that Paul lists love as the first of the nine virtues is not accidental. He has already highlighted the central role of love in the Christian life in Galatians 5:6 and 13, and he includes it in his virtue lists elsewhere (2 Cor. 6:6, 1 Tim. 4:12, 6:11, and 2 Tim. 2:22). Whereas all the other virtues appear also in non-Christian sources, love is distinctly Christian. All this indicates that love should be seen not merely as one virtue among many but as the cardinal Christian virtue that is the key to all other virtues. Love is the preeminent fruit of the Spirit (1 Cor. 13:13, Rom. 5:5), and it should define the life and attitudes of every Christian (John 13:34, 35), however difficult at times it might be to show love.

Not that "it should", but that it will define the  life of the converted Christian. For when Jesus has possession of the heart, then our neighbor will hold a right position in the heart also.

How much self-denial is involved in love? Can you love without self-denial? What does Jesus teach us about love and self-denial?

Either we serve Christ and others, or we serve Satan, sin, and self. We cannot serve two masters at the same time. We either are fully surrendered to Christ or we are not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:28:08 PM »
Thursday September 14

The Way to Victory

Although an inward conflict between the flesh and the Spirit always will rage in the heart of every believer, the Christian life does not have to be dominated by defeat, failure, and sin.

No, the battle never rages in the heart. The battle is between the mind and the flesh when the mind is not given over to Christ. The carnal mind has no power to control the flesh. It is weak unless empowered by Christ. When converted, the Holy Spirit takes possession of the mind and the heart. Read what Paul has to say about the battle that rages within when one is not converted and knows he is under condemnation of the broken law: From Romans:

7:14   For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 
 7:15   For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 
 7:16   If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good. 
 7:17   Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 
 7:18   For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not. 
 7:19   For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 
 7:20   Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 
 7:21   I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. 
 7:22   For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 
 7:23   But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 
 7:24   O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 

According to Galatians 5:16-26, what is the key to living a life where the Spirit reigns over the flesh?

The answer is found in verse 24: "And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." If we are converted, then self has been crucified and the affections and lusts no longer have power. It is the mind of Christ that controls the flesh. It is kept under control. "But I keep under my body (flesh), and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." 1 Cor. 9:27.

We must first be converted. We must first give the whole heart to Christ, then we shall be filled with the Spirit (born of the Holy Spirit), and then we are partakers of God's divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

Galatians 5:16-26 contains five key verbs that describe the type of life in which the Spirit reigns. First, the believer needs to “walk” in the Spirit (vs. 16). The Greek verb is peripateo, which literally means “to walk around or to follow.” The followers of the famous Greek philosopher Aristotle came to be known as the Peripatetics because they followed Aristotle everywhere he went. The fact that the verb is in the present tense implies that Paul is not talking about an occasional walk but rather a continuous daily experience. In addition, since it is also a command “to walk” in the Spirit, it implies that walking in the Spirit is a choice we have to make on a daily basis. The second verb is “to be led” (vs. 18). This suggests that we also need to allow the Spirit to lead us where we should go (compare Rom. 8:14, 1 Cor. 12:2). It is not our job to lead but to follow.

The next two verbs appear in Galatians 5:25. The first is “to live” (zao in Greek). By “live,” Paul is referring to the new-birth experience that must mark the life of every believer. Paul’s use of the present tense points to a new-birth experience that is to be renewed daily. Because we live by the Spirit, Paul goes on to write that we also need “to walk” by the Spirit. The word translated “walk” is different from the one in verse 16. Here the word is stoicheo. It is a military term that literally means “to draw up in a line,” “to keep in step,” or “to conform.” The idea here is that the Spirit not only gives us life but should direct our lives on a daily basis also.

The Spirit will direct the life of all who are fully surrendered to Jesus. It is when we allow our minds to wander away from Christ that the Spirit will depart. We must cling to Christ in order to have the Spirit in the heart. When we do not have the Holy Spirit in the heart, we can try all day and all  night and we will not be able to walk in the Spirit. Nor will we be able to choose to walk in the Spirit. We must first choose Jesus, to again make a full surrender of heart and mind. Then, through the power of the Spirit, we will walk in the Spirit. If we have not His Spirit, we are none of His (Romans 8:9 ).

The verb Paul uses in verse 24 is “to crucify.” This is a little shocking. If we are to follow the Spirit, we must make a firm decision to put to death the desires of the flesh. Of course, Paul is speaking figuratively. We crucify the flesh by feeding our spiritual life and by starving the desires of the flesh.

This is true. But, the author needs to define such an important truth. How do we feed the spiritual life? We must keep our minds upon spiritual matters. We must be in attitude of prayer continually. We must be living for Jesus. We must be feeding upon Jesus, for man does not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. We must drink His blood and eat His flesh. It is by beholding that we become changed day by day.

What changes and choices must you make in order to have the victories you are promised in Christ — victories that now continually elude you?

We do not have any victories over self and sin, unless we have chosen Christ as ruler. Unless we give up self, we will not give up sin. In other words, let us not be little Pharisees in attempting to make choices we cannot follow. We cannot make changes no matter how hard we try or how much we choose to do good. We must first be converted and receive the mind of Christ to take over the carnal mind. Then we will be empowered by God's grace to obey all Christ has commanded. This is the great lesson being taught in the Book of Galatians. Works cannot be found in Pharisees who choose to do good, but do not love Jesus with the whole heart. We must first surrender the whole heart to Christ. Then, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life as long as the heart remains fully surrendered to Christ. Do you believe this? If not, then prayerfully consider this truth: "When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." The Desire of Ages, pg 676.We do not choose to walk in the Spirit, we choose to serve Christ, give the whole heart to Him, and then we have power to walk in the Spirit.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »
Friday September 15

Further Thought: “The life of the Christian is not all smooth. He has stern conflicts to meet. Severe temptations assail him. ‘The flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh.’ The nearer we come to the close of this earth’s history, the more delusive and ensnaring will be the attacks of the enemy. His attacks will grow fiercer and more frequent. Those who resist light and truth will become more hardened and unimpressible, and more bitter against those who love God and keep His commandments (MS 33, 1911).” — Ellen G. White Comments, The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 6, p. 1111.

Amen. The life of the converted Christian will be full of love, joy, and peace, yet all will not be smooth. Neither was the life of Christ smooth. God allows temptations to come, but if we will abide in Christ (fully surrendered), then we will not be tempted beyond what we can  bear. The peace that comes to all who love Jesus supremely will be a peace that passes all understanding, And, the life will reflect the character of our God.

“The influence of the Holy Spirit is the life of Christ in the soul. We do not see Christ and speak to Him, but His Holy Spirit is just as near us in one place as in another. It works in and through every one who receives Christ. Those who know the indwelling of the Spirit reveal the fruits of the Spirit — love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith (MS 41, 1897).” — Ellen G. White Comments, The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 6, p. 1112.

Amen! The Holy Spirit dwells in the heart of all who are fully surrendered to Christ.  When He takes possession of the heart, He brings with Him every one of the fruits of the Spirit, not one is missing. If one is missing, then they are all missing. Like the Pharisee who has not the Spirit, none of the real fruits are in the life. They only come when self is laid in the dust and we are partakers of God's divine nature. Without Christ in the heart, we can do no good thing. With Christ we can do all things He asks of us!

Discussion Questions:

Dwell more on the idea of crucifying the desires of the flesh. What does that mean? How do we do it? How often do we have to do it? Why would Paul use such a strong verb? What does his use of the word crucify tell us about just how hard the battle with self is?

The battle with self is the greatest battle we shall ever have to fight. But, when self is crucified, what does that mean? Is self dead? Is the flesh the same as self?  If the flesh is crucified, then does it war with the Spirit? How do we crucify the flesh?   "And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." Galatians 5:24. When this has happened, who wins the battle, the flesh or the Spirit? And, since the Spirit wins, then do not they then walk in the Spirit? Then, the key is how do we crucify the flesh? The Bible says that if we are Christ's then the flesh has been crucified. Then, we must become Christs. How do then become Christ's? This is the all important question. Does the Bible tell us how to become Christ's?

What role, if any, does human effort play in producing the fruit of the Spirit? What does your own experience tell you about this role?

Can humanity produce the fruit of the Spirit? Absolutely not! Do we play a part in being able to manifest the fruit of the Spirit? Absolutely, else all of humanity would reveal the fruit of the Spirit, and we know this is not so. So, what must I do in order to reveal the fruit of the Spirit in my life?

Paul says that those who practice the works of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

He actually says "they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." Do you think the wording is important? Do you see how by changing the word from "do" to "practice" can change the meaning? If you listen to Evangelicals you will understand if you understand that sin is sin, even if you do not practice it. Practice is interpreted as doing it over and over, not just once. Eating the fruit from the tree just once brought sin and woe in the world. But, many professing Christians think this too narrow, that one little sin does not have to be repented of to regain salvation. Take a look at what your Bible says in 1 John 3:9. Some new bibles have changed the word from "commit" sin to "practice" sin. Does it make a difference in theology? It sure does.

How do you reconcile this statement with the fact that Paul says we are saved by faith and not by works?

Those who love Jesus supremely have salvation, and obedience to the law is a fruit of that salvation. When we see Christians reflecting Christ, is because they are filled with the Holy Spirit being partakers of God's divine nature. It is impossible for those who are fully surrendered to be filled with the fruit of the Spirit since the Spirit is not in the heart of the unconverted heart.

In your own walk with the Lord, what’s the biggest struggle you face? Is it not sin and what sin does to your relationship with God? What Christian hasn’t felt alienation, doubt, and disappointment as a result of the sin in his or her life, especially because we have the promise of victory over that sin? Given this fact in the context of victory over sin, why must we always remember that our salvation rests totally upon what Jesus has done for us?

No, if that were so, then all would be saved. Totally means all, does it not? Then we have no part in our salvation? That is not so. We have a part to play, but is not in manifesting the fruit of the Spirit. It is learning of Jesus. If we do not learn of Him, then we will not make a full surrender to Him. If we want salvation, then we must have more faith. Our faith must believe with the whole heart, not part of it. We must learn to trust Jesus with all we are and all we have. Otherwise we will not be saved. Those who do not take time to learn of Him who gave all for us, will not be saved, even though Christ did enough to save them.

Summary: Although in the life of all believers a conflict exists between the desires of the flesh and the desires of the Spirit, the Christian life does not have to be doomed to failure. Because Christ has conquered the power of sin and death, the Christian life can be a life where the Spirit reigns, bringing a daily supply of God’s grace that enables us to keep the desires of the flesh at bay.

Amen! Let us be very clear. The converted Christian who is filled with the Spirit will keep the flesh under. Those who do not keep the flesh under (the Word used by Paul), do not have the Spirit in their hearts, thus they will not manifest the fruit of the Spirit, nor will they keep the commandments of God, and therefore do not have salvation. This converted state must be maintained by receiving a "daily supply of God's grace". Grace is the transforming power. The author has this correct. Grace is more than a word, it is the power that insures the repentant sinner will be transformed into a saint.