Author Topic: Pope Francis: Rigid People Are Sick  (Read 1901 times)

Cop

Pope Francis: Rigid People Are Sick
« on: June 11, 2017, 06:46:01 AM »
[Excerpts]

Pope Francis again returned to the theme of rigidity today, saying those who unbendingly follow the law of God are "sick" and in need of the Lord’s help.

Concealed by rigidity, Pope Francis said, there is always something else! That’s why Jesus uses the word ‘hypocrites!’: "Behind an attitude of rigidity there is always something else in the life of a person. Rigidity is not a gift of God. Meekness is; goodness is; benevolence is; forgiveness is. But rigidity isn’t!” he said.

In many cases, the Pope continued, rigidity conceals the leading of a double life; but, he pointed out, there can also be something sick [behind it].  Commenting on the difficulties and suffering that afflict a person who is sincere about realizing their rigidity, the Pope said this is because they lack the freedom of God's children: “they do not know how to walk in the path indicated by God’s Law”.

“They appear good because they follow the Law; but behind there is something that does not make them good. Either they're bad, hypocrites or they are sick. They suffer!” he said.

The theme of rigidity, like his many criticisms of “doctors of the law”, is one of a number of topics the Pope returns to almost on a routine basis.

He once called those who try to unbendingly follow the Law of God people as having “weak hearts” whom he confessed he would like to trip up with banana skins so they would know they are sinners. In June, he said “rigid” people in the Church who tell us “it’s this or nothing” are heretics and not Catholics.  He has also warned about seminary formation being too rigid to allow for the development of priests.

More @: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/pope-francis-rigidity-is-something-pathological

[Are each of us "rigid", or do we lie a little, lust a little, break the Sabbath a little, etc.? Time is growing short for us to reflect the image of Christ fully and to be made fit to enter Heaven.]
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson