Author Topic: SDA Sab Sch Lesson 8--1st Qtr 2017--The Holy Spirit and the Gifts of the Spirit  (Read 13038 times)

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Amen, Colporteur! And, it was because of the fruit of the Spirit that Aquila and Priscilla "took (Apollo) unto them", sharing with him the Truth, more perfectly.

...a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.Acts 18:24-26

Apollos had been instructed in the way of the Lord, fervent in the (S)pirit, "knowing only the baptism of John." So; he undoubtedly had the fruit of the Spirit. Did Aquila and Priscilla comprehend that Apollos was needing to understand more about "the things of the Lord"? Yes; according, to vs. 26. How did they know (judge) this? They had more Light than he had.

Seventh-day Adventists, who have the Seal of God; have the indwelling Spirit of God, as fire in their bones (see Isaiah 4:4; Luke 3:16), bearing the fruit of the Spirit; thus, sharing "the way of God more perfectly", with those who are deceived, however "innocently", regarding the true worship of their Creator. They have more LIght than those keeping Sunday, and they have God's command to do so (see Matthew 5:18, 19; Matthew 28:20). It is knowledge of the Sabbath truth that urges them forward in its proclamation of the Three Angel's Messages, as it will be the deciding (judging) factor regarding those who serve God and those who do not.

Do YOU know the references, that "Jesus tells us" that it is only by the fruit of the Spirit that we are to judge ourselves and others? I haven't found those references, yet, and am very curious where they may be found. I look up "bear much fruit", and this is what I find, and it deals MORE with God's Commandments:

John 15:8-11
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

Romans 13:10-12
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

According to God's Word, Sunday-keeping is one of "the works of darkness" when it comes to "fearing God and keeping His commandments".

For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life Proverbs 6:23

I agree with you: "...the fruit of the Spirit is all encompassing. Keeping the Sabbath falls under  " love." "

We may have the joy of participating with the Godhead in sharing more perfectly about the Law of Liberty with the Sunday-keeper, that they may be free, indeed.
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Glen, I think you have misunderstood what I have said. It is not "only" by the fruits we may know if one is converted or not. If you know that I am purposefully violating the law of God, you may judge me to be unconverted. What I said was that we often do not know this, therefore, you cannot judge one by the law. The law reaches to the intent of the heart. We cannot judge the heart.

I know this is often a difficult subject because of the false teaching on the gospel. Hope this helps to clarify. When the Holy Spirit has possession of the heart (at conversion), then the fruits of the Spirit will be in the life, not one will be missing. When one is missing, then they all are missing.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
Quote from: Richard Myers on February 17, 2017, 08:25:25 AM
The good works we are to look for are not the day that one keeps, nor the food he eats, but the fruits of the Spirit in the life. If one is fully surrendered, he is abiding in Christ and Christ through the Spirit in him. If the Spirit is abiding in him, then the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life, not one will be missing. These are the good works Jesus tells us by which we may judge ourselves and others.

No; I did not "misunderstand what (you) said", because you made it clear enough what you meant. As one thinks about it, the context which the sentence reading, "The good works we are to look for are not the day that one keeps..."; "are not", clarifies that you would seem to exclude the 7th Commandment as part of the Law of God, by which to judge anyone. Followed by the words, "...but the fruits of the Spirit in the life. If one is fully surrendered, he is abiding in Christ and Christ through the Spirit in him. If the Spirit is abiding in him, then the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life, not one will be missing." -Followed by the words and placing the emphasis that, "These are the good works Jesus tells us by which we may judge ourselves and others." -seems to put all the focus on the fruits of the Spirit, to the exclusion of the Law of God, "by which we may judge ourselves and others", which forms a dichotomy, an oxymoron, that can be misleading.

Certainly, Brother Richard,
erring man...cannot judge righteously unless his heart is constantly imbued with the Spirit of God. Lt 34, 1889 (January 4, 1889) par. 12

Man cannot read the heart of man. His judgment is formed from appearances, and these are often deceptive. God reads the intent and purposes of the heart.
The Review and Herald May 14, 1895 paragraph 4

...the Scriptures explicitly say that the Word of God is the standard by which we must test all teaching and experience. The apostle John says, “Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world” (1 John 4:1). And Isaiah declares, “To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them” (Isaiah 8:20). Love Under Fire, Page 8.5

So; even ministers who may be filled with all the fruit of the Spirit, without one missing, who still preach Sunday sacredness, are, remarkably, yet truly, false prophets(sic):

Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

1 Corinthians 10;
 20 ...the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

Have you entirely missed my point that the Sunday-keeper; however "innocently" keeps the wrong day (according to the First Angel's Message), must hear and receive that Message; "...come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing... 2 Cor. 6:17 ? The Remnant will indeed have discernment of that fact (because the Law of God is written in their heart), and they forthwith; (gently John 3:17; 2 Timothy 2:24), bear that message to the faithful and honest Sunday-keeper who will yet receive the whole Gospel of God to mankind, having learned "the way of God more perfectly" Acts 18:26, before Christ returns. It is ONLY those who have the Spirit of God among Sunday-keepers and every other false religion, that will receive the Sabbath when it is preached more fully by the Remnant, during the Loud Cry.

...when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth… John 16:13

Those who worship God in Spirit and in Truth will have every fruit of the Spirit AND keep the whole Law of God: "all truth" includes the 7th Commandment as well as all the fruits of the Spirit (not one law will be missing).

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

God leads His people on, step by step. He brings them up to different points calculated to manifest what is in the heart. Some endure at one point, but fall off at the next. At every advanced point the heart is tested and tried a little closer. If the professed people of God find their hearts opposed to this straight work, it should convince them that they have a work to do to overcome, if they would not be spewed out of the mouth of the Lord. Said the angel: “God will bring His work closer and closer to test and prove every one of His people.” Some are willing to receive one point; but when God brings them to another testing point, they shrink from it and stand back, because they find that it strikes directly at some cherished idol. Here they have opportunity to see what is in their hearts that shuts out Jesus. They prize something higher than the truth, and their hearts are not prepared to receive Jesus. Individuals are tested and proved a length of time to see if they will sacrifice their idols and heed the counsel of the True Witness.... Those who come up to every point, and stand every test, and overcome, be the price what it may, have heeded the counsel of the True Witness, and they will receive the latter rain, and thus be fitted for translation.

God proves His people in this world. This is the fitting-up place to appear in His presence. Here, in this world, in these last days, persons will show what power affects their hearts and controls their actions. If it is the power of divine truth, it will lead to good works. It will elevate the receiver, and make him noblehearted and generous, like His divine Lord. But if evil angels control the heart, it will be seen in various ways. The fruit will be selfishness, covetousness, pride, and evil passions. Lift Him Up 375

I saw that many were neglecting the preparation so needful and were looking to the time of “refreshing” and the “latter rain” to fit them to stand in the day of the Lord and to live in His sight. Oh, how many I saw in the time of trouble without a shelter! They had neglected the needful preparation; therefore they could not receive the refreshing that all must have to fit them to live in the sight of a holy God. Those who ... fail to purify their souls in obeying the whole truth ... will come up to the time of the falling of the plagues, and then see that they needed to be hewed and squared for the building. But there will be ... no Mediator to plead their cause before the Father. Before this time the awfully solemn declaration has gone forth, “He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.”

I saw that none could share the “refreshing” unless they obtain the victory over every besetment, over pride, selfishness, love of the world, and over every wrong word and action. We should, therefore, be drawing nearer and nearer to the Lord and be earnestly seeking that preparation necessary to enable us to stand in the battle in the day of the Lord. Let all remember that God is holy and that none but holy beings can ever dwell in His presence. Maranatha 41

Hebrews 10:
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

The doctrine of Christ consists of both the Spirit AND the Letter, of the Law of God. The "love and...good works" experienced by the Believer through sanctification by the Spirit are the harvest in the soul of the work, and will of God. The words, "if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth" include not only violation of any one law of God, but a lack of any one of the fruits of the Spirit of God.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1,2

God's law must be considered first of all, and obeyed in spirit and in letter. If God's word, spoken in awful solemnity from the holy mountain, is lightly regarded, how will the testimonies of his Spirit be received? The Review and Herald September 21, 1876 paragraph 9
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Quote from: Richard Myers on February 17, 2017, 08:25:25 AM
The good works we are to look for are not the day that one keeps, nor the food he eats, but the fruits of the Spirit in the life. If one is fully surrendered, he is abiding in Christ and Christ through the Spirit in him. If the Spirit is abiding in him, then the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life, not one will be missing. These are the good works Jesus tells us by which we may judge ourselves and others.

No; I did not "misunderstand what (you) said", because you made it clear enough what you meant. As one thinks about it, the context which the sentence reading, "The good works we are to look for are not the day that one keeps..."; "are not", clarifies that you would seem to exclude the 7th Commandment as part of the Law of God, by which to judge anyone. Followed by the words, "...but the fruits of the Spirit in the life. If one is fully surrendered, he is abiding in Christ and Christ through the Spirit in him. If the Spirit is abiding in him, then the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in the life, not one will be missing." -Followed by the words and placing the emphasis that, "These are the good works Jesus tells us by which we may judge ourselves and others." -seems to put all the focus on the fruits of the Spirit, to the exclusion of the Law of God, "by which we may judge ourselves and others", which forms a dichotomy, an oxymoron, that can be misleading.

Glen, Jesus wants your heart, the whole heart. I am not doing away with the law, but going deeper than outward actions. You can "keep" the Sabbath and not go to heaven. Why is this?

Have you entirely missed my point that the Sunday-keeper; however "innocently" keeps the wrong day (according to the First Angel's Message), must hear and receive that Message; "...come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing... 2 Cor. 6:17 ? The Remnant will indeed have discernment of that fact (because the Law of God is written in their heart), and they forthwith; (gently John 3:17; 2 Timothy 2:24), bear that message to the faithful and honest Sunday-keeper who will yet receive the whole Gospel of God to mankind, having learned "the way of God more perfectly" Acts 18:26, before Christ returns. It is ONLY those who have the Spirit of God among Sunday-keepers and every other false religion, that will receive the Sabbath when it is preached more fully by the Remnant, during the Loud Cry.[/color]

No, Brother Glen. There are many today who have not seen the loveliness of Jesus, nor understood the binding claims of the Sabbath commandment. They do not have to see the fourth commandment, not yet. When the Sabbath commandment becomes the last test, then you will be right. But, that time has not yet come. But, for those who have seen the truth, they are accountable for what they have seen.

As for us, as a people, we have the Sabbath truth, but as a people we do not have Jesus. So, what you consider of such great importance, has not saved the multitude who lack a living relationship with Jesus, yet because they "keep" the Sabbath believe they are going to heaven. How can this be? How can Sabbath keepers be lost and not know it? They judge themselves by keeping the Sabbath. Is this a safe thing to do? How can so many who go to church on the seventh day be in a lost condition and not know it?

(LESSON NINE IS OUT OF ORDER      CLICK    Here
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.