Author Topic: Helping the Mormon  (Read 3078 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Helping the Mormon
« on: June 15, 2003, 05:50:00 AM »
When I see the young men in groups of two or three wearing black pants and white shirts coming down the road I will do all that I can to get in their path. I begin praying for an opportunity to witness to them. Sometimes when driving, I see them and will park in a place where I know they will come.

Even better is when they knock on MY door!   :) These vists have been wonderful opportunities to speak of Jesus. Many times these young men have gone away persuaded they need to study their Bibles for themselves.

How can we best witness to them? I have found that there is much common ground that we can agree upon. The place where I start is Jesus and His love. I then go to our common faith in the Bible, then to the law of God which includes our lifestyle and the ten commandments. Here we have fertile ground with the young people.

There is a discussion of this topic in part in the Bread of Life Forum. See the Spirit of Prophecy topic.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Helping the Mormon
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 05:14:00 PM »
Yesterday we closed the Sabbath in a public park. We found a quiet place and had our worship. After we finished my wife noticed two young men headed in our direction and firmly, but gently requested that I not spend an hour with them. It was getting dark and we needed to get home. Yes, they wore black pants, white shirts, and a ties. They were Mormon and looking for someone to share Jesus with.

I was faithful in my attempt to turn them away. They asked what we were doing and I told them we just finished praying. I thought that would send them off for sure. But, they did not go. They saw our Bible and inquired if it was a Bible. I said yes. One of them asked me what I did. I thought I would end our discussion quickly when I told them I was an evangelist. But, God had a different plan. They were very persistent, but polite and friendly. They began the discussion, but soon I was sharing my faith with them. The Holy Spirit was moving upon the heart of the eldest. He was quoting Scripture as I shared with him. He was following what I was saying.

What did I share? I started by telling them how good it was that they were witnessing their faith for Jesus. They asked me if I knew about their religion. I told them I did and how much I appreciated much of what they believed. This opened the door for me to begin to discuss our common beliefs such as our faith in the Bible and our concern for health and family. I then went to the law of God and told them I knew that they taught we were to keep the law of God. They agreed.

I told them I was not reared in the church that I was a member of, but rather found my way into it by Bible study; that I was not taught by man, but by God. I shared with them our need to put our faith in the Bible not in the men who teach it. We are not at liberty to trust our souls to another. They agreed.

I shared with them the truth that God will not condemn anyone who innocently believed a lie or unknowingly cherished error, but because they did not avail themselves of the opportunity to know truth. They agreed. I told them of my love for Jesus and His Bible and they expressed the same. I told them that we could see by the signs of times spoken of by our Saviour that His coming was near. They agreed.

They were now ready for me to plant a seed. We were getting along well and appreciated each other's faith. We were brethren. I asked them what was God's law and they, after some coaching, expressed that was indeed the ten commandments. I told them that the papacy had changed the ten commandments and asked them if they knew it. They did not. I asked them about the dark ages and the reformation. They had a little bit of knowledge. I shared with them a brief history and how the Bible had prophesied of the papacy and its rule during the dark ages of 1260 years and how the papacy would be wounded, when it occurred, and that it would healed and has been. They were very attentive.

I then told them that the papacy had thought to change the commandments. I pointed out they had removed one, changed another, and split one into two. I then planted the seed of the Sabbath truth that one day will either bear fruit or reveal their lost condition. I pray the Holy Spirit will water the seed planted.

They replied that the disciples kept Sunday after the resurrection according to the Bible. I said no, they will not find this in the Bible. I then made sure our discussion would not turn into an argument and changed the topic back to the need to study for ourselves.

I said that I would not tell them my church. That if they would study this subject thoroughly, God would lead them to where He wanted them. They did not need me to tell them anything else. I closed by sharing 2 Cor. 3:18 which they understood and agreed with. I could see the openness of the one young man. He was feeding upon the Manna sent from heaven. Join with me in prayer for these two young Christian men that are searching for truth. It was a providential meeting that blessed me as much as them.  :) This is why we are here. As we keep Jesus in our hearts and our minds, we shall be given these opportunities.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Paul Beach

Helping the Mormon
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 06:14:00 PM »
I've always admired the Mormons for their courage and persistence in witnessing.  It would be great if we had even half of that courage.  

Sounds like you're doing a good work with them.

PB

Kelly Youngberg

Helping the Mormon
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »
Richard said:

quote:
After we finished my wife noticed two young men headed in our direction and firmly, but gently requested that I not spend an hour with them.

So did you make it under an hour?  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Helping the Mormon
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 07:14:00 PM »
It was a blessing. I knew I could not spend a lot of time, so I did not weary them at all.  :) God gave me gentle, but specific points to share. Just planting seed. I took about 35 minutes. My wife was very kind to allow me this joy. It thrilled my heart to see their respect for Jesus and the Bible and their agreement on His soon coming. I believe we have a harvest field among them. The young ones are sincere.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Helping the Mormon
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89