Author Topic: Time to Plan Fall Garden  (Read 6289 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Time to Plan Fall Garden
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »
Here in a Mediterranean climate, if I want broccoli, I have to get it in long enough before winter to get a crop. It is interesting to keep it from going to seed, and at the same time get it in early enough to get a head.  Planting from seed takes more time than planting plants bought at nursery. Some things require some education for the local climate. My spring broccoli always bolted. Am looking forward to getting heads this fall. I imagine that in the North, it is also getting time to plant a fall garden?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Keithstrong

Re: Time to Plan Fall Garden
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »
North of where :) i am in Oregon...does that count?  We don't plant fall crop till mid to late july to not have to deal with the hot august sun. Last two years we have had 109 degree days and that will make everything bolt unless its in the proper vegetative state. Also we do not have a green house and our church has just put up their green house and the gentleman who runs it is reading up and try/fail a summer crop this year. We stop by on occasions to see whats going on in case we ever need to help others with hints for green houses. I truly love gardening and and love discussions on gardening:) hope you get your question answered
"Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins"

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:26:02 PM »
Maybe northeast Oregon.  :)   I was thinking of the areas in Canada or the States on the northern border where they have a short growing season. We have a lot families in the stated that border Canada and some in Canada. And, there are families growing gardens even in the South where they live at high elevations and have a very short growing season.

I am looking at mid July planting, but I have to start planning now as to what and where to grow, and when to start seeds. Some seeds need more time. My fall garden in the past has been a winter garden, too late to get a crop of broccoli before winter.  So, I am a student trying to learn. There are some here who have already been doing this for a long time and are a help in learning how to grow our food.

Go to have you sharing your experience, Keith. What will you be growing this fall?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »
We had to cover our tomatoes, cucumbers and squash last night because of a frost warning. Very unusual weather this year. Very windy, Cold, damp spring and fighting fungal disease because of it. We are still on top of things with God's help but we aren't thinking of fall planting until August. 

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mark W

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:00:58 PM »
Fall garden planning at my house first starts with dropping cabbage and the like seed for a fall crop, and that has already began. I have to get the plants up and put some size on them so that when the summer hear breaks, they go in. I have 250 Brussels Sprout plants growing right now I wanted to plant now and protect with shade cloth, but the oven dial has been turned up a bit early around here, so I think I will wait. Did pull my red onions this evening to make way for some white plastic mulch for the fall crops, for it won't be long.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 06:48:26 AM »
Dorine, sorry to hear about your cold and wet summer!  :(    I keep telling my friends, I try to help out by burning fossil fuel to do work around here, but I think we cannot expect to change the weather. You are in my prayers.

Mark, as I recall, you are not dropping your seed into the ground, but are starting your seeds in flats. Like you, we have 100+ weather that is scorching the plants.  On the other hand, the melons seem to like it.   How old are your fall seedlings?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:38:34 AM »
Here it is the middle of July and I have not yet started my broccoli!!  I have had it on my list for a month! Anyone else a little behind?  The day is soon coming when we will not just be sorry, but hungry when we do not start our seeds on time.  I guess many will be surprised when they either cannot afford to buy or we are not allowed to buy or sell?

Now is the time to learn from our mistakes. Soon, the heavenly sanctuary will be closed and then it will be too late to learn to cling to Christ. I guess we need to make a list of priorities?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
Trying to find time to transplant my broccoli plants. It has cooled off a little, so this will give the little guys a break from the 100+ heat. Will be planting kale and collards for winter also. Anyone else plating their fall garden? If so, what are you planting?