Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--84--"Peace Be Unto You"  (Read 23793 times)

Philip T

Re: The Desire of Ages--84--"Peace Be Unto You"
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2021, 06:11:49 PM »
  Let the repentance of the sinner be accepted by the church with grateful hearts. Let the repenting one be led out from the darkness of unbelief into the light of faith and righteousness. Let his trembling hand be placed in the loving hand of Jesus. Such a remission is ratified in heaven.
     Only in this sense has the church power to absolve the sinner. Remission of sins can be obtained only through the merits of Christ. To no man, to no body of men, is given power to free the soul from guilt. Christ charged His disciples to preach the remission of sins in His name among all nations; but they themselves were not empowered to remove one stain of sin. The name of Jesus is the only "name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12.

Amen Sister Dorine, I also while ins the service as a teenager(drafted) had doubts arise, I was alone and had no church to turn to for help, and I drifted from the Lord, and after being discharged. I did not  return for 35 years and it was a long walk through several different denominations, but each one showed be the love of Jesus, and I grew until my anger at the church was gone and I returned. It only through Jesus love and grace, forgiveness of sins as only Jesus can do this. I think of Thomas and how gentile and loving Jesus was with him and it restored his faith. A great lesson is in this chapter about how to care for those in the church experiencing doubt. I am thankful for a loving and caring church.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2021, 09:38:43 PM »
Amen Brother Philip!  It is God's grace that transforms sinners into saints. Many do not realize that God leaves hooks for us to hang our doubts on if we want to doubt.

Many who are given to doubt excuse themselves by saying that if they had the evidence which Thomas had from his companions, they would believe. They do not realize that they have not only that evidence, but much more. Many who, like Thomas, wait for all cause of doubt to be removed, will never realize their desire. They gradually become confirmed in unbelief. Those who educate themselves to look on the dark side, and murmur and complain, know not what they do. They are sowing the seeds of doubt, and they will have a harvest of doubt to reap. At a time when faith and confidence are most essential, many will thus find themselves powerless to hope and believe. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2021, 04:02:58 AM »
What happened after Jesus rose from the dead and appeared to the disciples, speaking, "Peace be unto you," gives us direction as to our ministry as well!

"The disciples began to realize the nature and extent of their work. They were to proclaim to the world the wonderful truths which Christ had entrusted to them. The events of His life, His death and resurrection, the prophecies that pointed to these events, the sacredness of the law of God, the mysteries of the plan of salvation, the power of Jesus for the remission of sins,--to all these things they were witnesses, and they were to make them known to the world. They were to proclaim the gospel of peace and salvation through repentance and the power of the Saviour." {The Desire of Ages, page 805, paragraph 1}  

As we uplift the crucified, risen, and soon-coming Jesus in His infinite loveliness, we may rejoice that by a full heart surrender He will abide in us and fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as we go forward in courage, affectionately obedient to all His commandments!

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2021, 04:33:05 AM »
"Deal faithfully with wrongdoing. Warn every soul that is in danger.

Leave none to deceive themselves.

Call sin by its right name. Declare what God has said in regard to lying, Sabbath breaking, stealing, idolatry, and every other evil."

"The church leadership must say about sin what God says about it. They must deal with it as God directs, and their action is ratified in heaven.

He who despises the authority of the church despises the authority of Christ Himself."

"Reprove, rebuke, exhort," the Lord says, "with all long-suffering and doctrine." 2 Timothy 4:2.

We must NEVER FORGET to discharge our responsibilities with great PATHOS and YEARNING, so that we may draw each one CLOSER AND NOT FURTHER AWAY FROM JESUS. Remembering at all times that " there but for the Grace of God go I

Try to "Remember at all times", that when you point the finger at others - there are three fingers pointing back at you with that same hand. 
Look up and listen for the shout.

Philip T

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 08:14:44 AM »
  The Holy Spirit is the breath of spiritual life in the soul. The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ. It imbues the receiver with the attributes of Christ. Only those who are thus taught of God, those who possess the inward working of the Spirit, and in whose life the Christ-life is manifested, are to stand as representative men, to minister in behalf of the church.

To minister for the church, we must have the imparting or indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and as Pastor Sean points out that is evidenced by the presence of the gifts of the Spirit not one or two but all are present, enabling us to accomplish the work the Lord has for us to accomplish in His church and His last commission given to believers in Chirst.

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2021, 10:08:50 AM »
"At the birth of Jesus the angel announced, Peace on earth, and good will to men. And now at His first appearance to the disciples after His resurrection, the Saviour addressed them with the blessed words, "Peace be unto you." Jesus is ever ready to speak peace to souls that are burdened with doubts and fears. He waits for us to open the door of the heart to Him, and say, Abide with us. He says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20.

The sweet peace of Jesus. We all need it but few receive it. He knocks at our hearts door waiting to be welcomed in. We have this glorious truth to share with those who are burdened and have not yet let Jesus in. The more you read and listen to the still small voice of invitation the more enthralled you become with Jesus and as long as you stay with Him He will eventually win your heart. My prayer is that hearts will be softened to receive the precious grace of Jesus and experience a relationship that is like none other.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2021, 05:32:58 AM »
"The resurrection of Jesus was a type of the final resurrection of all who sleep in Him. The countenance of the risen Saviour, His manner, His speech, were all familiar to His disciples. As Jesus arose from the dead, so those who sleep in Him are to rise again. We shall know our friends, even as the disciples knew Jesus. They may have been deformed, diseased, or disfigured, in this mortal life, and they rise in perfect health and symmetry; yet in the glorified body their identity will be perfectly preserved. Then shall we know even as also we are known. 1 Corinthians 13:12. In the face radiant with the light shining from the face of Jesus, we shall recognize the lineaments of those we love."

There's something about this paragraph that brings a peace and happiness to my soul. I've known individuals that are so maimed that I've wondered how we would ever know them in perfection. I'm so thankful for this revelation.  Jesus knew it would be important to us to recognize our loved ones. Maybe even the sound of our voice will be the same but we will speak the language of heaven in it's beauty and perfection. We are so loved even in the smallest matters.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2021, 06:38:17 AM »
"In His treatment of Thomas, Jesus gave a lesson for His followers. His example shows how we should treat those whose faith is weak, and who make their doubts prominent. Jesus did not overwhelm Thomas with reproach, nor did He enter into controversy with him..

..Thomas had been most unreasonable in dictating the conditions of his faith, but Jesus, by His generous love and consideration, broke down all the barriers..

..Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse."

"But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, "My Lord and my God."

How often do "we" need to be reminded that Jesus said in,

Luke 6:31 "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise"

Philip T

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2021, 07:01:17 AM »
  "And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whosesoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whosesoever sins ye retain, they are retained." The Holy Spirit was not yet fully manifested; for Christ had not yet been glorified. The more abundant impartation of the Spirit did not take place till after Christ's ascension. Not until this was received could the disciples fulfill the commission to preach the gospel to the world. But the Spirit was now given for a special purpose. Before the disciples could fulfill their official duties in connection with the church, Christ breathed His Spirit upon them. He was committing to them a most sacred trust, and He desired to impress them with the fact that without the Holy Spirit this work could not be accomplished.

We see the need for the Holy Spirit in our lives as Jesus breathed it into the disciples in the room, later they were given a larger portion of the Spirit in the former pouring out of the Spirit in Acts.  We can obtain this pouring out of the spirit today by surrendering our lives totally to Jesus. This paragraph points out a important fact about the Spirit, it works together with Jesus. Without the Spirit we cannot do the work Jesus gives us to do. How often does God's church make plans to go forward and do this or that and not take time to make sure it is God's plan for his church, so they can be blessed by Him and the Spirit.  We need to take time when planning to do something for God to pray and meditate on it, listening for the still small voice of God to speak to us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2021, 09:26:34 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!

After He rose from the dead, Christ treated Thomas with compassion and forbearance, thus showing us how we can treat those who have a weak faith, and guiding us to win and heal, not denounce and destroy. When we surrender fully to Jesus in living faith, all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest in our lives as we affectionately obey God's law of love, and we will have courage to go forward in reaching out to souls who need the healing balm of love to guide them in the path of life!

"In His treatment of Thomas, Jesus gave a lesson for His followers. His example shows how we should treat those whose faith is weak, and who make their doubts prominent. Jesus did not overwhelm Thomas with reproach, nor did He enter into controversy with him. He revealed Himself to the doubting one. Thomas had been most unreasonable in dictating the conditions of his faith, but Jesus, by His generous love and consideration, broke down all the barriers. Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, 'My Lord and my God.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 808, paragraph 1}

Jesus is Lord and God, Savior of the world, but desiring to be the personal Savior of all in an ever-deepening union and communion with Himself by the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Only when Christ abides in us will our thoughts, feelings and actions be in harmony with the loving decision of a sanctified will to do what God calls us to do in fulfilling the great commission!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2021, 10:45:43 PM »
Amen my dear brothers and sister! Such unity!   It is sad to hear those who say they are doubting Thomases. They do not understand that it is a matter of unbelief, and there is no greater sin than unbelief. But, that does not mean that we are to rebuke them. Jesus has shown us the way and we ought to by God's grace walk in the light.

Jesus accepted his acknowledgment, but gently reproved his unbelief: "Thomas, because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." The faith of Thomas would have been more pleasing to Christ if he had been willing to believe upon the testimony of his brethren. Should the world now follow the example of Thomas, no one would believe unto salvation; for all who receive Christ must do so through the testimony of others.
     Many who are given to doubt excuse themselves by saying that if they had the evidence which Thomas had from his companions, they would believe. They do not realize that they have not only that evidence, but much more. Many who, like Thomas, wait for all cause of doubt to be removed, will never realize their desire. They gradually become confirmed in unbelief. Those who educate themselves to look on the dark side, and murmur and complain, know not what they do. They are sowing the seeds of doubt, and they will have a harvest of doubt to reap. At a time when faith and confidence are most essential, many will thus find themselves powerless to hope and believe. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2021, 04:50:54 AM »
If we treat people the way Jesus treats us, we can expect that the Lord can work in the hearts of precious souls the most effectively by the Holy Spirit. What a blessing to see how Jesus met Thomas and how the disciple's experience was turned from unbelief to faith that works by love!

"In His treatment of Thomas, Jesus gave a lesson for His followers. His example shows how we should treat those whose faith is weak, and who make their doubts prominent. Jesus did not overwhelm Thomas with reproach, nor did He enter into controversy with him. He revealed Himself to the doubting one. Thomas had been most unreasonable in dictating the conditions of his faith, but Jesus, by His generous love and consideration, broke down all the barriers. Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, 'My Lord and my God.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 808, paragraph 1}

As we tenderly and graciously work with souls in the way of Christ's method, we can pray for each one to come to that true-hearted acknowledgment of Christ as Lord and Savior, a willing embrace of all the light shining upon the life path, and a complete heart surrender so all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be in the life. May we be missionaries to reflect the loveliness of Jesus to others today!

Beacon

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2021, 06:03:55 AM »
"In His treatment of Thomas, Jesus gave a lesson for His followers. His example shows how we should treat those whose faith is weak, and who make their doubts prominent."

"Jesus did not overwhelm Thomas with reproach, nor did He enter into controversy with him. He revealed Himself to the doubting one."

"Thomas had been most unreasonable in dictating the conditions of his faith, but Jesus, by His generous love and consideration, broke down all the barriers."

"Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse."

But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, "My Lord and my God."

How often do we need to be reminded that Jesus said in Luke 6:31 "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise"

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2021, 06:09:18 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon! We need wisdom from God when dealing with those who are filled with unbelief. There is no greater sin than unbelief. Sadly many are so deceived that they call themselves a "doubting Thomas." Even so, Jesus does not leave them to themselves. He loves us and suffered and died that the sick (all of humanity) might be healed.

At the birth of Jesus the angel announced, Peace on earth, and good will to men. And now at His first appearance to the disciples after His resurrection, the Saviour addressed them with the blessed words, "Peace be unto you." Jesus is ever ready to speak peace to souls that are burdened with doubts and fears. He waits for us to open the door of the heart to Him, and say, Abide with us. He says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20.

Dorine

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2021, 09:39:48 AM »
"...Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, "My Lord and my God." .

No doubt we have all experienced the results of controversy. It brings division and defensiveness. These closing words are so applicable for us today. May we have the sweet Spirit of Jesus as we interact with others. As we present the beautiful life of Jesus let Him convict hearts. That is not our job.

Beacon

« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2021, 08:07:46 PM »
"Many who are given to doubt excuse themselves by saying that if they had the evidence which Thomas had from his companions, they would believe. They do not realize that they have not only that evidence, but much more."

"Many who, like Thomas, wait for all cause of doubt to be removed, will never realize their desire."

"They gradually become confirmed in unbelief."

"Those who educate themselves to look on the dark side, and murmur and complain, know not what they do. They are sowing the seeds of doubt, and they will have a harvest of doubt to reap.

"At a time when faith and confidence are most essential, many will thus find themselves powerless to hope and believe."

"Jesus is ever ready to speak peace to souls that are burdened with doubts and fears. He waits for us to open the door of the heart to Him, and say, Abide with us."

"He says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20.

Today Jesus is saying to each one of us."You can trust me." Let us put away all doubt and proclaim His love to others.

’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His word;
Just to rest upon His promise;
Just to know, Thus saith the Lord.
    Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him,
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er,
Jesus, Jesus, Precious Jesus!
  O for grace to trust Him more.
O how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
Just in simple faith to plunge me,
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood.
Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life, and rest, and joy, and peace.
I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.

Lyrics:Louisa M. R. Stead (circa 1850-1917)
Music:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2021, 05:47:04 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  Jesus wants to take possession of our hearts. We must want Him to do so. Unless we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we are none of His (Romans 8:9). If we will surrender the whole heart to Him, we can do all that He has asked of us. His character is imparted to us not at the end of life, but today if we will but open the heart to Him. How do we come to that point of full surrender? By His stripes we are healed.

They beheld the hands and feet marred by the cruel nails.

We did this to our Savior. Those nails were meant for you and me, but He gladly took them for Himself. It is this grace that causes us to willingly give Him all we have and all we are. He will take our wicked hearts and make them as white as snow. Then we shall have spiritual discernment that opens our minds to be able to know the truth from the lies so abundantly surrounding us.

The Holy Spirit is the breath of spiritual life in the soul. The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ. It imbues the receiver with the attributes of Christ. Only those who are thus taught of God, those who possess the inward working of the Spirit, and in whose life the Christ-life is manifested, are to stand as representative men, to minister in behalf of the church.

What a difference this would make in our churches. How many were capable of standing in the pulpit when this was written? We find the answer in another inspired statement:

The minds of many are clouded with unbelief because those who unite with the church as the chosen of God do not reveal the virtues that are the fruits of the Spirit. Joining the church is not a sure evidence that a man has joined himself to Christ. The new birth is a rare experience in this age of the world. This is the reason why there are so many perplexities in the churches. Many, so many, who assume the name of Christ are unsanctified and unholy. They have been baptized, but they were buried alive. Self did not die, and therefore they did not rise to newness of life in Christ.  2MR 51.

When we understand God's love for us, then we will open the door of the heart and be able to help others.

There is a great work to be done in our world, and as we approach the close of earth’s history, it does not lessen in the least degree; but when the perfect love of God is in the heart, wonderful things will be done.  ML 243.

Let us behold His great love that we then will surrender all and give Him what He requires which is perfect obedience to all that we understand.

What does God require? Perfection, nothing less than perfection. But if we would be perfect, we must put no confidence in self. Daily we must know and understand that self is not to be trusted. We need to grasp God’s promises with firm faith. We need to ask for the Holy Spirit with a full realization of our own helplessness. Then when the Holy Spirit works we shall not give self the glory. The Holy Spirit will graciously take the heart into His keeping, bringing to it all the bright beams of the Sun of Righteousness. We shall be kept by the power of God through faith. When we are daily under the control of God’s Spirit, we shall be commandment-keeping people. We may show to the world that obedience to God’s commands brings its own reward, even in this life, and in the future life eternal blessedness. 12MR 52. 

I understand that for those who are posting I am preaching to the choir. Why? Because we are surrounded by a church that does not understand. Don't for one minute doubt your faith and what you see in His church. Revival and reformation is coming. Let it begin in our lives, in our home, and in our church.

And, there are others who are reading what we are sharing. They too are likewise gaining an understanding of the foundation of our faith. Israel was cut off because Satan had succeeded in perverting the gospel within their nation. So it is today. Unlike Israel, His remnant church will not be cut off. The difference is seen in Ezekiel chapter 36 and 37. God has the power to cleanse not only you and me, but His church. Not all will be cleansed, but He will have a church that keeps His commandments, all of them.

36:23   And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I [am] the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. 
 36:24   For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 
 36:25   Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 

And again so there is no misunderstanding God's will and the power of His Spirit. From the next chapter in Ezekiel:

37:1   The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which [was] full of bones, 
 37:2   And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, [there were] very many in the open valley; and, lo, [they were] very dry. 
 37:3   And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest. 
 37:4   Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. 
 37:5   Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: 
 37:6   And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I [am] the LORD. 
 37:7   So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone. 
 37:8   And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but [there was] no breath in them. 
 37:9   Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. 
 37:10   So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army. 
 37:11   Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel:

These promises of revival and reformation of dead dry, dry bones and of a filthy church were not fulfilled for Israel of Old. They remain to be fulfilled for modern day Israel, His church. When things are dark and the church appears to have completely failed, hold on to these promises. They will not fail and are confirmed by the Spirit of Prophecy in our day. This is God's remnant church.

Again I say, The Lord hath not spoken by any messenger who calls the church that keeps the commandments of God, Babylon. True, there are tares with the wheat; but Christ said He would send His angels to first gather the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into the garner. I know that the Lord loves His church. It is not to be disorganized or broken up into independent atoms. There is not the least consistency in this; there is not the least evidence that such a thing will be. 2SM 69

The church remains in a Laodicean condition which is a lost condition, but with great hope given by Jesus that if we will repent He will come into our heart.

I was shown that the testimony to the Laodiceans applies to God’s people at the present time, and the reason it has not accomplished a greater work is because of the hardness of their hearts. But God has given the message time to do its work. The heart must be purified from sins which have so long shut out Jesus. This fearful message will do its work. When it was first presented, it led to close examination of heart. Sins were confessed, and the people of God were stirred everywhere. Nearly all believed that this message would end in the loud cry of the third angel. But as they failed to see the powerful work accomplished in a short time, many lost the effect of the message. I saw that this message would not accomplish its work in a few short months. It is designed to arouse the people of God, to discover to them their backslidings, and to lead to zealous repentance, that they may be favored with the presence of Jesus, and be fitted for the loud cry of the third angel. As this message affected the heart, it led to deep humility before God. Angels were sent in every direction to prepare unbelieving hearts for the truth. The cause of God began to rise, and His people were acquainted with their position. If the counsel of the True Witness had been fully heeded, God would have wrought for His people in greater power. Yet the efforts made since the message has been given, have been blessed of God, and many souls have been brought from error and darkness to rejoice in the truth.

God will prove His people. Jesus bears patiently with them, and does not spew them out of His mouth in a moment. Said the angel: “God is weighing His people.” If the message had been of as short duration as many of us supposed, there would have been no time for them to develop character. Many moved from feeling, not from principle and faith, and this solemn, fearful message stirred them. It wrought upon their feelings, and excited their fears, but did not accomplish the work which God designed that it should. God reads the heart. Lest His people should be deceived in regard to themselves, He gives them time for the excitement to wear off, and then proves them to see if they will obey the counsel of the True Witness.

God leads His people on, step by step. He brings them up to different points calculated to manifest what is in the heart. Some endure at one point, but fall off at the next. At every advanced point the heart is tested and tried a little closer. If the professed people of God find their hearts opposed to this straight work, it should convince them that they have a work to do to overcome, if they would not be spewed out of the mouth of the Lord. Said the angel: “God will bring His work closer and closer to test and prove every one of His people.” Some are willing to receive one point; but when God brings them to another testing point, they shrink from it and stand back, because they find that it strikes directly at some cherished idol. Here they have opportunity to see what is in their hearts that shuts out Jesus. They prize something higher than the truth, and their hearts are not prepared to receive Jesus. Individuals are tested and proved a length of time to see if they will sacrifice their idols and heed the counsel of the True Witness. If any will not be purified through obeying the truth, and overcome their selfishness, their pride, and evil passions, the angels of God have the charge: “They are joined to their idols, let them alone,” and they pass on to their work, leaving these with their sinful traits unsubdued, to the control of evil angels. 1T 186.

You will hear a perversion of this message to those who believe they are rich when in fact they are miserable, wretched, poor, blind, and naked. It is taught that we are saved in sin, that we have sins we do not know of after we are converted. It is true that we have no knowledge of some things and thus we are not expected to do them. But, God is looking upon the heart. The Holy Spirit will reveal to you if you are unwilling to give up idols. This message is not to converted Christians, but to those who have refused to allow Jesus access to the heart, who do not love Him with all of the heart, mind, soul, and strength. Thus, His testing will be closer and closer until that which is an idol is revealed.

This message will do it work of bringing revival and reformation to His church. It is a strong rebuke and also a message of hope that tells us just what we must in order to be delivered from this often fatal condition. It will cause a shaking in the church. It is the message of the True Witness to the seventh and last church found in the Book of Revelation:

3:14   And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 
 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 
 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 
 3:17   Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 
 3:18   I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 
 3:19   As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 
 3:20   Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
 3:21   To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 
 3:22   He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. 

Just before the message to the Laodicean Church in vol 1 of the Testimonies is a chapter on The Shaking. From that chapter we read:

I asked the meaning of the shaking I had seen, and was shown that it would be caused by the straight testimony called forth by the counsel of the True Witness to the Laodiceans. This will have its effect upon the heart of the receiver, and will lead him to exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth. Some will not bear this straight testimony. They will rise up against it, and this will cause a shaking among God’s people.

The testimony of the True Witness has not been half heeded. The solemn testimony upon which the destiny of the church hangs has been lightly esteemed, if not entirely disregarded. This testimony must work deep repentance, and all that truly receive it will obey it and be purified.  1T 181.

Who will respond to the call of the True Witness? Who will go and exalt the standard and pour forth the straight truth? Peace will be unto you.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2021, 09:00:49 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

Let us treat those who are struggling to truly believe the way Jesus did! When Christ is revealed to the soul, faith working by love can spring up and make the sinful soul into a new creation bearing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

As we obey God from a heart renewed by the Holy Spirit, God gives us grace to not only believe ourselves with saving faith in true surrender, but to invite others to look upon Jesus, be truly transformed, and overcome sin by God's grace!

Philip T

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2021, 09:40:21 AM »

Beacon

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2022, 08:11:40 PM »
"We need to grasp God’s promises with firm faith."

"We need to ask for the Holy Spirit with a full realization of our own helplessness."

"Then when the Holy Spirit works we shall not give self the glory."

The Holy Spirit will graciously take the heart into His keeping, bringing to it all the bright beams of the Sun of Righteousness.

We shall be kept by the power of God through faith.

"When we are daily under the control of God’s Spirit, we shall be commandment-keeping people. We may show to the world that obedience to God’s commands brings its own reward, even in this life, and in the future life eternal blessedness."
============================
When peace like a river attendeth my way,
  When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot Thou hast taught me to say,
  “It is well, it is well with my soul!”
    It is well with my soul!
It is well, it is well with my soul!
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
  Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
  And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought—
  My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to His Cross, and I bear it no more;
  Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live;
  If dark hours about me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
  Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Lyrics:Horatio Gates Spafford (1828-1888)
Music:Philip Paul Bliss (1838-1876)