Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--84--"Peace Be Unto You"  (Read 23788 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--84--"Peace Be Unto You"
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 06:19:01 AM »
"In His treatment of Thomas, Jesus gave a lesson for His followers. His example shows how we should treat those whose faith is weak, and who make their doubts prominent. Jesus did not overwhelm Thomas with reproach, nor did He enter into controversy with him. He revealed Himself to the doubting one. Thomas had been most unreasonable in dictating the conditions of his faith, but Jesus, by His generous love and consideration, broke down all the barriers. Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, "My Lord and my God."

What a precious friend we have in our Saviour Jesus. I want to possess the same spirit in dealing with any erring Brother's and Sister's. Isn't that how we all want to be treated? So why would we ever do otherwise? Jesus isn't a respecter of person's nor should we. Too often mercy is shown to those that are liked but want justice applied to those less liked.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 08:45:40 AM »
Yes, Sister Dorine, that is so very sad. The strong are to bear with the infirmities of the weak. But, all too often those who think they are strong are not. Outside of Christ we are truly weak, and have not the Spirit of God that we need to love the erring. May God grant us grace to see our continual need of the Spirit. As Pastor Sean shared, when we have the Spirit in the heart, we will manifest all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing.

I appreciated the truth regarding our privilege to understand the plan of salvation, including its mysteries.

The disciples began to realize the nature and extent of their work. They were to proclaim to the world the wonderful truths which Christ had entrusted to them. The events of His life, His death and resurrection, the prophecies that pointed to these events, the sacredness of the law of God, the mysteries of the plan of salvation, the power of Jesus for the remission of sins,--to all these things they were witnesses, and they were to make them known to the world. They were to proclaim the gospel of peace and salvation through repentance and the power of the Saviour.   

Those mysteries will remain such until the Spirit is allowed into the heart. Then by experience and enlightenment, the mysteries of salvation will be opened that we might understand the power of grace. What a God we serve!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »
God leads us in a way that we know not. We may have ideas of what God's kingdom is supposed to be, but when we behold Jesus and His character, His sacrifice, and His mission, we gain a true conception of God's plan for us. It was hard for Thomas to accept what God's kingdom was really about, and thus believe that Christ rose from the dead. But when we accept Jesus on His terms--the way He chooses to reveal Himself to us, then we can have saving faith, a faith that transforms the life and makes us new creatures whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives and not one is missing! Praise God for saving faith as made available to us in Christ today!

"When Jesus first met the disciples in the upper chamber, Thomas was not with them. He heard the reports of the others, and received abundant proof that Jesus had risen; but gloom and unbelief filled his heart. As he heard the disciples tell of the wonderful manifestations of the risen Saviour, it only plunged him in deeper despair. If Jesus had really risen from the dead, there could be no further hope of a literal earthly kingdom. And it wounded his vanity to think that his Master should reveal Himself to all the disciples except him. He was determined not to believe, and for a whole week he brooded over his wretchedness, which seemed all the darker in contrast with the hope and faith of his brethren."  {The Desire of Ages, page 806, paragraph 4}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 10:21:17 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! What a difference a day makes, when we surrender to Jesus.

"Peace Be Unto You!" What does it mean? What is peace? How do we get it?

The peace Jesus offers is peace that passes all understanding. Not matter what is happening, those who love Jesus supremely have this perfect peace in the middle of the great storms of life. Well then, that answers the question as to how we get it. We get to know Jesus as it is our privilege to know Him and then we will give Him all we have and all we are. He takes our sin polluted heart and cleanses it whiter than snow. The Spirit bring love, joy, and peace that passes all understanding. It is the greatest of all miracles. And, Jesus says to you and me "Peace be unto you!" Can you hear Him knocking on the door of your heart?

At the birth of Jesus the angel announced, Peace on earth, and good will to men. And now at His first appearance to the disciples after His resurrection, the Saviour addressed them with the blessed words, "Peace be unto you." Jesus is ever ready to speak peace to souls that are burdened with doubts and fears. He waits for us to open the door of the heart to Him, and say, Abide with us. He says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 06:49:58 AM »
Let us consider others today and follow Christ in how we treat those who may be weak in the faith, like how Thomas was struggling after Jesus' resurrection. "We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves" (Romans 15:1).

We meet people each day that are struggling in ways that only God fully knows. But for those who make their doubts and unbelief prominent, we can learn a key lesson in how to bless others and help those who, like Thomas, are making conditions of belief from the way Jesus met him. I love that in the life and lessons of Jesus we are being taught also how to save and uplift souls. Let us today, by a full surrender to Christ, seek to elevate and bless all with whom we come in contact! The spirit of self-sacrifice for the good of others is the sure evidence of a living-faith connection with Jesus!

"In His treatment of Thomas, Jesus gave a lesson for His followers. His example shows how we should treat those whose faith is weak, and who make their doubts prominent. Jesus did not overwhelm Thomas with reproach, nor did He enter into controversy with him. He revealed Himself to the doubting one. Thomas had been most unreasonable in dictating the conditions of his faith, but Jesus, by His generous love and consideration, broke down all the barriers. Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, 'My Lord and my God.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 808, paragraph 1}

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 05:19:50 AM »
The disciples began to realize the nature and extent of their work. They were to proclaim to the world the wonderful truths which Christ had entrusted to them. The events of His life, His death and resurrection, the prophecies that pointed to these events, the sacredness of the law of God, the mysteries of the plan of salvation, the power of Jesus for the remission of sins,--to all these things they were witnesses, and they were to make them known to the world. They were to proclaim the gospel of peace and salvation through repentance and the power of the Saviour.   

And here we have the great commission and we continue yet today by spreading the 3 Angel's messages around the world. We may not be missionaries in foreign lands but we can brighten the corner where we are!  :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
Amen, Jim! True missionary work is heart work--the reaching of the heart with the love of Jesus!!

Let us treat others who may be struggling to truly believe in the way that Jesus did--with grace, kindness, and tender forbearance. As we reveal the loveliness of Jesus to them, we can pray that their hearts will melt as they behold Him for who He is. Praise God that worked in how Jesus reached Thomas' heart, and how Jesus is still winning hearts today by the revealing of His love!

"In His treatment of Thomas, Jesus gave a lesson for His followers. His example shows how we should treat those whose faith is weak, and who make their doubts prominent. Jesus did not overwhelm Thomas with reproach, nor did He enter into controversy with him. He revealed Himself to the doubting one. Thomas had been most unreasonable in dictating the conditions of his faith, but Jesus, by His generous love and consideration, broke down all the barriers. Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, 'My Lord and my God.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 808, paragraph 1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean  and Jim. Jesus spent His life seeking out those seeking truth. He did not want to argue with those who wanted to argue, yet He had to deal with them also because they sought Him. He also wanted to help them understand, but often it required reproof which was often given in wisdom and love. At times it was necessary to use fear, but it was also out of love for the sinner.

Yes, this is the same paragraph that impressed Jim. There is wisdom for us in this statement. We are to take the gospel to the world, for we have been entrusted with it. We have opened before us "the mysteries of the plan of salvation." And, we have been burdened to express the foundation of that mystery. As Pastor Sean has shared, "True missionary work is heart work--the reaching of the heart with the love of Jesus!!"

We, as a people, have yet to learn this. Modern day Israel has the same mission as Israel of old and we also have the same disease, Laodiceanism.

The Israelites as a nation still continued in a state of irreligion and idolatry, and as a punishment they remained in subjection to the Philistines. During this time Samuel visited the cities and villages throughout the land, seeking to turn the hearts of the people to the God of their fathers; and his efforts were not without good results. After suffering the oppression of their enemies for twenty years, the Israelites “mourned after the Lord.” Samuel counseled them, “If ye do return unto the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the Lord, and serve Him only.” Here we see that practical piety, heart religion, was taught in the days of Samuel as taught by Christ when He was upon the earth. Without the grace of Christ the outward forms of religion were valueless to ancient Israel. They are the same to modern Israel.  Patriarch and Prophets, 590.

Many will take exception with this, but it because they do not agree with the work of the gospel. "Sin has marred and well-nigh obliterated the image of God in man. It was to restore this that the plan of salvation was devised, and a life of probation was granted to man. To bring him back to the perfection in which he was first created is the great object of life—the object that underlies every other."  PP 595.

Dorine

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
"Peace be unto you."

Such music to my ears. It is impossible to receive this peace if we are harboring even one unconfessed sin. When all has been surrendered to Jesus there is a peace that Richard mentioned in one of his posts; "that passes all understanding". It's true.

"He waits for us to open the door of the heart to Him, and say, Abide with us. He says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the  door, I will  come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Rev. 3:20.

This precious promise describes a most intimate union between us and our God.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 05:02:13 AM »
What encouragement we find in how Jesus treated Thomas, who struggled to believe in the resurrection of His Lord. When we are struggling to believe, the answer is not controversy or discussion, but to behold the loveliness of Jesus! His presence kindles our faith and brings us joy unspeakable full of glory! All of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in our lives as by a living-faith surrender we acknowledge Christ as Lord and God. He is acquainted with all of our thoughts and words, He knows our inmost feelings and desires, and He Himself will supply our deepest longings in Him.

"Turning to Thomas He said, 'Reach hither thy finger, and behold My hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into My side: and be not faithless, but believing.' These words showed that He was acquainted with the thoughts and words of Thomas. The doubting disciple knew that none of his companions had seen Jesus for a week. They could not have told the Master of his unbelief. He recognized the One before him as his Lord. He had no desire for further proof. His heart leaped for joy, and he cast himself at the feet of Jesus crying, 'My Lord and my God.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 807, paragraph 2}

Let us look and live this wonderful Sabbath day. Let us fix our eyes upon Jesus' loveliness and remember that only in His presence is fullness of joy!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 06:01:11 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. It is the grace of God that saves. Turning water into wine is evidence of supernatural power, but that does not reach into the heart as does grace, the unmerited favor of God. Jesus has promised that since He was lifted up, He is drawing all men unto Himself. And we will love Him because we see that He first loved us with an unfailing love.

Why did Jesus spend more time healing than preaching? Because it revealed His love for us while we were yet sinners. He does not wait for us to repent, for repentance can only come from seeing His goodness. It is the "goodness of God that leadeth thee to repentance."

Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, "My Lord and my God."

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 07:47:42 AM »
I've been truly blessed as I went back and read the posts from the beginning. There's really nothing I have to add except to repeat and confirm God's great love and mercy to His erring children. I love His gentleness even when He must speak hard things to hear.  As Christ breathed on the disciples His Holy Spirit, He wants to do the same for us each day so that we will be genuine examples of Jesus and not hypocrites.

Beacon

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »
 "Then the two travelers,(from Emmaus), panting with the haste with which they have made their journey, tell the wondrous story of how Jesus has appeared to them. They have just ended, and still some are saying that they cannot believe it, for it is too good to be true, when behold, another Person stands before them. Every eye is fastened upon the stranger. No one has knocked for entrance. No footstep has been heard. The disciples are startled, and wonder what it means. Then they hear a voice which is no other than the voice of their Master. Clear and distinct the words fall from His lips, "Peace be unto you." But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. And He said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself: handle Me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see Me have. And when He had thus spoken, He showed them His hands and His feet. They beheld the hands and feet marred by the cruel nails. They recognized His voice, like no other they had ever heard. "And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, He said unto them, Have ye here any meat? And they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. And He took it, and did eat before them."

Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord." Faith and joy took the place of unbelief, and with feelings which no words could express they acknowledged their risen Saviour."

And now at His first appearance to the disciples after His resurrection, the Saviour addressed them with the blessed words, "Peace be unto you." Jesus is ever ready to speak peace to souls that are burdened with doubts and fears. He waits for us to open the door of the heart to Him, and say, Abide with us. He says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20.

How thankful we should be for such a kind,patient, understanding Saviour who goes to such great length to reach our doubting stubborn hearts.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 08:02:25 PM »
"In His treatment of Thomas, Jesus gave a lesson for His followers. His example shows how we should treat those whose faith is weak, and who make their doubts prominent. Jesus did not overwhelm Thomas with reproach, nor did He enter into controversy with him. He revealed Himself to the doubting one. Thomas had been most unreasonable in dictating the conditions of his faith, but Jesus, by His generous love and consideration, broke down all the barriers.

A very wonderful, powerful, and comforting verse is found in John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out. Isn't it wonderful that our God allows U-Turns!! In the book of Deuteronomy 4:29,  it says...But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, "IF" thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul!![/u]

Our relationship with God requires a total surrender to Him every day, then and only then can we expect to be filled with Holy Spirit power to resist the efforts of Satan to draw us back to him. Perhaps this would be a good time today to ask ourselves " Are we really converted" or are we still holding onto things that will bring dishonor and shame to our Saviour and lead us to eternal ruin. Somewhere I read this phrase...in the writings of the Spirit of Prophecy..." Many will be lost desiring to be saved." Isn't that sad?? It means that some hear the voice of Jesus calling but they are unwilling to let go of the things of the world. Jesus says in  Hebrews 3:14 We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end

"Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, "My Lord and my God."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2019, 07:08:30 AM »
"Unbelief is seldom overcome by controversy. It is rather put upon self-defense, and finds new support and excuse. But let Jesus, in His love and mercy, be revealed as the crucified Saviour, and from many once unwilling lips will be heard the acknowledgment of Thomas, "My Lord and my God.""

This is an art, a gift from God to know and understand how to avoid controversy and to show by our attitude a loving and merciful Jesus. Human nature likes to debate, to prove the other person wrong. As we watch how Jesus handled delicate situations we can learn to do the same. We must be careful that in trying to correct someone else's unbelief and error we don't find ourselves in the same condition.  As I follow Jesus step by step I am learning so much about myself. He tenderly shows me my faults and weaknesses and like Thomas instead of digging my heals in I am persuaded by His love to gladly surrender my selfish heart.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 07:41:47 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine! By nature our hearts are selfish, but when we yield our will to Christ, He gives us a new heart and a new mind so we can overcome all hereditary and cultivated tendencies to evil! We can overcome doubt and unbelief as we look unto Jesus and live!

"Many who are given to doubt excuse themselves by saying that if they had the evidence which Thomas had from his companions, they would believe. They do not realize that they have not only that evidence, but much more. Many who, like Thomas, wait for all cause of doubt to be removed, will never realize their desire. They gradually become confirmed in unbelief. Those who educate themselves to look on the dark side, and murmur and complain, know not what they do. They are sowing the seeds of doubt, and they will have a harvest of doubt to reap. At a time when faith and confidence are most essential, many will thus find themselves powerless to hope and believe." {The Desire of Ages, page 807, paragraph 5}   

Let us sow the seeds of kindness, faith and truth! As we sow the truth, we can rememeber that we reap what we sow! Christ knows what each of us need, and I am so thankful for Jesus who has a path prepared for us so we can see our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing. Only as He abides in the heart by faith can our motives be pure and our actions flowing from a sincere desire to do His will. Such an experience means all of the fruits of the Sprit will be seen in our lives--not one will be missing!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »

Our relationship with God requires a total surrender to Him every day, then and only then can we expect to be filled with Holy Spirit power to resist the efforts of Satan to draw us back to him.

Amen Brother Beacon!  It is the Holy Spirit that works on the heart and mind, but we want more, we want the Holy Spirit to be in the heart, to take possession of it, to cleanse it from all sin. We do not often hear of our continual need of the "impartation" of the Holy Spirit. This word "impart" is not very well understood. What does it mean?
A contrasting word is "impute." What is the difference?

The righteousness of Christ is imputed to all who make a full surrender of the heart. More than this the righteousness of Christ is "imparted" to all who make a full surrender of the heart. Both are conditional promises. What is the condition of receiving both? When do we receive both?

What is the difference?

The Holy Spirit is the breath of spiritual life in the soul. The impartation of the Spirit is the impartation of the life of Christ. It imbues the receiver with the attributes of Christ. Only those who are thus taught of God, those who possess the inward working of the Spirit, and in whose life the Christ-life is manifested, are to stand as representative men, to minister in behalf of the church.

Here we see inspiration using the term "impartation." The Holy Spirit is not "imputed," but imparted. It is important that we come to an understanding of the use of these two words because Satan has stolen a march on the church by misrepresenting their meaning in the church by influential teachers. Why is the Holy Spirit never imputed, but always imparted to those who are truly in a converted state? Then why is the righteousness of Christ both imparted and imputed to those who are truly in a converted state?

Dorine

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »
Here we see inspiration using the term "impartation." The Holy Spirit is not "imputed," but imparted. It is important that we come to an understanding of the use of these two words because Satan has stolen a march on the church by misrepresenting their meaning in the church by influential teachers. Why is the Holy Spirit never imputed, but always imparted to those who are truly in a converted state? Then why is the righteousness of Christ both imparted and imputed to those who are truly in a converted state?

You asked this question Richard and I want to go out on a limb because it has caused me to think a bit deeper. Especially the question as to why the Holy Spirit is not imputed. Please correct any misconception I may have.

My understanding is this....
1. impute is to declare a person righteous when that person surrenders their life to Jesus. -- Justification--
As a person starts their walk with Christ He then imparts His righteousness to that person.

2. Impart is when a person has been justified and is walking in the Spirit and not the flesh maintaining that connection with Jesus through the Holy Spirit. --Sanctification --

I had never heard or thought about the fact that the Holy Spirit doesn't impute. I have decided not to venture there because I honestly don't know the answer. What is your understanding of this Richard?

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 05:04:11 AM »
At the birth of Jesus the angel announced, Peace on earth, and good will to men. And now at His first appearance to the disciples after His resurrection, the Saviour addressed them with the blessed words, "Peace be unto you." Jesus is ever ready to speak peace to souls that are burdened with doubts and fears. He waits for us to open the door of the heart to Him, and say, Abide with us. He says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20.

As I open my heart to the Holy Spirit once again this new day I'm so thankful for this beautiful promise. Beholding the tender compassion of Jesus softens and changes my heart. The carnal nature is always striving for dominance but thank God it doesn't have to win. With Christ in the heart the flesh is kept in subjection to the Spirit. Only as we take our eyes off Jesus will we knowingly sin. The biggest battle is to surrender 100 percent and stay surrendered by maintaining our relationship with Jesus.  Each morning as I open my eyes Jesus is seeking entrance to my heart so that we may fellowship together throughout that day. Not that the connection has been lost over night. He has been watching over me through out the dark hours of the night but as the day breaks and I am conscious again He knows that I need to recommit my life to Him again. One day at a time, each step of the way we grow in grace from victory to victory. We serve an almighty God.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 06:50:58 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!

What a blessed fellowship we may experience by abiding in Jesus! I was blessed this morning contemplating the reality that the struggles we go through are best answered by Christ being revealed to our souls. As I turn my eyes away from the momentary trials of this life and look into the face of Jesus, in whose presence I will spend eternity, joy takes the place of sadness and my heart thrills with the resolve to be pure and true in walking with Jesus, who is "My Lord and my God!"

While it may be tempting to get into controversy with those struggling to see the truth, we can pray for Jesus to fill our hearts with the Holy Spirit so His character is manifested through us, inviting others to come, taste and see the genuine experience Jesus offers!