Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--85--By the Sea Once More  (Read 17702 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--85--By the Sea Once More
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
 "The question that Christ had put to Peter was significant. He mentioned only one condition of discipleship and service. "Lovest thou Me?" He said. This is the essential qualification. Though Peter might possess every other, yet without the love of Christ he could not be a faithful shepherd over the Lord's flock. Knowledge, benevolence, eloquence, gratitude, and zeal are all aids in the good work; but without the love of Jesus in the heart, the work of the Christian minister is a failure."

"Although Peter had denied his Lord, the love which Jesus bore him never faltered. Just such love should the undershepherd feel for the sheep and lambs committed to his care. Remembering his own weakness and failure, Peter was to deal with his flock as tenderly as Christ had dealt with him. The transformation in Peter was evident. The close, testing questions of the Lord had not called out one forward, self-sufficient reply; and because of his humiliation and repentance, Peter was better prepared than ever before to act as shepherd to the flock."

Additional Words of Encouragement:
"We are to grow daily in spiritual loveliness. We shall fail often in our efforts to copy the divine pattern. We shall often have to bow down to weep at the feet of Jesus, because of our shortcomings and mistakes; but we are not to be discouraged; we are to pray more fervently, believe more fully, and try again with more steadfastness to grow into the likeness of our Lord. As we distrust our own power, we shall trust the power of our Redeemer, and render praise to God, who is the health of our countenance, and our God." {AG 302.4}

HAPPY SABBATH TO ALL WHO REJOICE IN THE SERVICE AND SALVATION OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST ON PLANET EARTH AS WE PREPARE TO CELEBRATE WITH JESUS AND ALL THE UNIVERSAL FAMILY OF GOD.

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2019, 03:49:47 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!! What a joy it is to turn away our eyes from self and the defects of others and place our focus on the One Pattern Man, Jesus Christ, who offers each of us hope and healing, grace and power, to overcome and be transformed. While we may want to know what others are going to do, let us today learn of Christ and let Him lead us to become even more like Him! As we yield the whole heart to Christ, He makes it His abiding place by His Spirit, imbuing us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"How many today are like Peter! They are interested in the affairs of others, and anxious to know their duty, while they are in danger of neglecting their own. It is our work to look to Christ and follow Him. We shall see mistakes in the lives of others, and defects in their character. Humanity is encompassed with infirmity. But in Christ we shall find perfection. Beholding Him, we shall become transformed." {The Desire of Ages, page 816, paragraph 3}

Jesus is always safe for us to look to. We find rest beholding Him. May this Sabbath we full of the rest of His presence which leads to blessing others wherein the Lord has blessed us. God be with you all as you experience the loveliness of Jesus is my prayer.   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2019, 05:11:46 AM »
The question that Christ had put to Peter was significant. He mentioned only one condition of discipleship and service. "Lovest thou Me?" He said. This is the essential qualification. Though Peter might possess every other, yet without the love of Christ he could not be a faithful shepherd over the Lord's flock. Knowledge, benevolence, eloquence, gratitude, and zeal are all aids in the good work; but without the love of Jesus in the heart, the work of the Christian minister is a failure.

I know this is speaking of our pastors but it is also true for each one of us. Without the love of Jesus in the heart our work and influence in seeking the lost will be a failure. As parents in raising our children for God will be a failure without it. And it applies to every aspect of our lives. What is more important than the love of Jesus in the heart? We need to continually behold the life of Jesus if we truly want to fall in love with Him. As we reflect and meditate especially on the closing moments of His life our hearts will be broken to realize the depth of love that Jesus has for each and everyone of us. May each of us be willing to be crucified with Him every day so that we will live for Him and be fit vessels that He can use in bringing the lost sheep into the fold.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2019, 08:15:09 AM »
Amen dear sister! This is the all important issue. As we daily behold the Savior, we shall behold His love for us. More than love, it is grace, unmerited love that transforms sinners into saints. What a blessing to be doctrinal unity on this foundation of our faith! Let us pray that others will join with us daily as we grow in our knowledge of our Savior's love, even when we sin. Let us reach the point where we know our continual need of Jesus in order to not sin (hurt Him and those for whom He suffered and died).

This morning I contemplated this statement:

Seven of the disciples were in company. They were clad in the humble garb of fishermen; they were poor in worldly goods, but rich in the knowledge and practice of the truth, which in the sight of Heaven gave them the highest rank as teachers. They had not been students in the schools of the prophets, but for three years they had been taught by the greatest Educator the world has ever known. Under His instruction they had become elevated, intelligent, and refined, agents through whom men might be led to a knowledge of the truth.

Imagine that! In three years these unlettered men, attained to the highest rank as teachers! They were "elevated, intelligent, and refined." Is that encouraging? Amen!!  There is hope for us! 

Now, let us also understand the power of false teaching on even those who have been taught by Christ. On the way to Jerusalem where Jesus was to suffer and die for their sins, Peter attempted to stop Jesus. As high in rank as teachers, they were ignorant of the gospel message. This is why God spoke through the Apostle Paul saying "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." Galatians 1:8,9.

Let us make sure we understand the foundation of our faith, and then be filled with the love of God so that we are like Peter able to minister to the flock of God. And as our dear sister has said, even though we be not paid ministers in the church. When the "watchmen" fail to teach the truth, God will raise up watchmen who will take the gospel to the whole world. Both ordained men and common folk will join together in telling the world of the power of grace to transform sinners into saints!

And let us as Brother Beacon has said, rejoice as we prepare to receive Jesus at His second coming to take us to our home far beyond the sun!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2020, 06:10:38 PM »
"The question that Christ had put to Peter was significant. He mentioned only one condition of discipleship and service. "Lovest thou Me?" He said. This is the essential qualification. Though Peter might possess every other, yet without the love of Christ he could not be a faithful shepherd over the Lord's flock.

Knowledge, benevolence, eloquence, gratitude, and zeal are all aids in the good work; but without the love of Jesus in the heart, the work of the Christian minister is a failure."

"Although Peter had denied his Lord, the love which Jesus bore him never faltered. Just such love should the undershepherd feel for the sheep and lambs committed to his care. Remembering his own weakness and failure, Peter was to deal with his flock as tenderly as Christ had dealt with him."

Dearly Beloved; We need to remember how badly we have faltered from time to time and bring to remembrance how gently Jesus dealt with Peter and He is just as willing to forgive, restore and reinstate each of us when we have faltered just like Peter. Jesus extends His Mercy & Pardon to ALL who are willing to do a U-Turn, to Confess our Failures and to be Forgiven & Restored and once again become active laboring laborers in the great harvest field of our Lord.   

In the book of Isaiah 1:18 We find this wonderful promise. "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Please, don't let Satan tell you that it's too late. Come Now -- Just as you are and experience the Restoring Forgiveness and Love of Jesus and then PASS IT ON! 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2020, 05:13:12 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!! Let us never forget how much we need the love of Christ in our hearts--which we receive by beholding His love!

God does not tell us everything. But He does tell us what we need to know! He has revealed to us in His word the gospel of His grace, the power He has to transform sinners into saints and to give us new hearts that are imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Peter's life is a witness of what God's grace can do--but even if we are teachable and willing to let God lead, it does not mean that God will disclose everything to us. Day by day He unfolds His plan for us and we can trust Him to lead and guide us as we yield the whole heart to Christ!

"As Peter walked beside Jesus, he saw that John was following. A desire came over him to know his future, and he 'saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou Me.' Peter should have considered that his Lord would reveal to him all that it was best for him to know. It is the duty of everyone to follow Christ, without undue anxiety as to the work assigned to others. In saying of John, 'If I will that he tarry till I come,' Jesus gave no assurance that this disciple should live until the Lord's second coming. He merely asserted His own supreme power, and that even if He should will this to be so, it would in no way affect Peter's work. The future of both John and Peter was in the hands of their Lord. Obedience in following Him was the duty required of each." {The Desire of Ages, page 816, paragraph 2}

Thankfully, we can rest in God's providential care for us and know that if He can care for the sparrow, how much more can He care for us! May the response of affectionate obedience to all of God's commandments be wrought out in our lives moment-by-moment in union and communion with Christ!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2020, 07:14:17 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Brother Beacon.  We need to remember how Jesus has dealt with us. When we are tempted to be angry with another, no matter how bad the deed, we will love the other as Jesus has loved us, if we are abiding in Him and He in us. It is His grace allowed into the heart that transforms our character so that we have love, joy, and peace no matter what.

And when we do not manifest this love, then it is because we are not vitally connected to Christ and are not filled with the Holy Spirit. We then bring reproach upon Christ as did Peter. Like Peter we need to remove that reproach as much as we can. That was the lesson we are to learn from the reproof of Peter in the presence of his fellow disciples. As painful as it was for Peter, it was for his good and the glory of God that Jesus asked him time after time if he love Him.

Another lesson Christ had to give, relating especially to Peter. Peter's denial of his Lord had been in shameful contrast to his former professions of loyalty. He had dishonored Christ, and had incurred the distrust of his brethren. They thought he would not be allowed to take his former position among them, and he himself felt that he had forfeited his trust. Before being called to take up again his apostolic work, he must before them all give evidence of his repentance. Without this, his sin, though repented of, might have destroyed his influence as a minister of Christ. The Saviour gave him opportunity to regain the confidence of his brethren, and, so far as possible, to remove the reproach he had brought upon the gospel.
     Here is given a lesson for all Christ's followers. The gospel makes no compromise with evil. It cannot excuse sin. Secret sins are to be confessed in secret to God; but, for open sin, open confession is required. The reproach of the disciple's sin is cast upon Christ. It causes Satan to triumph, and wavering souls to stumble. By giving proof of repentance, the disciple, so far as lies in his power, is to remove this reproach. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2020, 05:53:07 AM »
"To Peter the words "Follow Me" were full of instruction. Not only for his death, but for every step of his life, was the lesson given. Hitherto Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord. Jesus bids him, "Follow Me." Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy."

How disrespectful and hurtful to God when we act as if our wisdom and plans are sufficient. We are to be in partnership with Jesus asking Him to guide our path for the day. I love to read of the radical change in Peter when he finally surrendered his will to Jesus. Jesus abiding in the heart will do the same for you and me.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2020, 05:59:54 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine! Surrender of our will to Christ is true freedom--yet it means we are slaves to God instead of slaves to Satan and self, and what an important lesson for us to learn!!

Jesus goes before us to direct the path we are to take to heaven. Let us remember that our temptations have already been mastered by One who suffered in temptation by always chose to trust His Father and rely upon the word of God! "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:15-16). Let us learn the lesson Peter also needed to learn--and not run ahead of God, but let Him lead us as we take up our duties in love patiently and wisely!

"To Peter the words 'Follow Me' were full of instruction. Not only for his death, but for every step of his life, was the lesson given. Hitherto Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord. Jesus bids him, 'Follow Me.' Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy." {The Desire of Ages, page 816, paragraph 1}

As we look to Jesus we find a perfect Savior and Example in His life of self-denial. What wondrous love is this that He came to save us from ourselves and make us like Him in mind and character by giving us a new heart and a new mind imbued with His Spirit so His character may be fully reflected in Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and truth (Exodus 20:1-17)!

Beacon

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »
I was also impressed with this same paragraph...

"Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord...

Jesus bids him, "Follow Me." Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy."

I know I have been guilty of the same type of thinking -- How about you??  Now, in my senior years, I can clearly see that much frustration and mental/spiritual pain could have been avoided if only I had heeded the counsel of His Holy Word. I am very thankful, however, that our Jesus does not give up on us,,,He allows U-Turns, and by His Grace and Mercy bring us safely to the heavenly shores.

Isaiah 40:31 says, "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2020, 10:19:19 PM »
Amen!  The first counsel I got after my conversion was just that, stay two steps behind Jesus, not running ahead of Him. It was such good counsel.

Much of our reading today deals with Peter. Jesus loved Him and wanted the very best for him. The strong rebuke, three times, was for Peter's good, that he would be able to remain in the ministry. His public sin needed to be repented of publicly so that all might understand Peter was truly sorry for what he had done.

Another lesson Christ had to give, relating especially to Peter. Peter's denial of his Lord had been in shameful contrast to his former professions of loyalty. He had dishonored Christ, and had incurred the distrust of his brethren. They thought he would not be allowed to take his former position among them, and he himself felt that he had forfeited his trust. Before being called to take up again his apostolic work, he must before them all give evidence of his repentance. Without this, his sin, though repented of, might have destroyed his influence as a minister of Christ. The Saviour gave him opportunity to regain the confidence of his brethren, and, so far as possible, to remove the reproach he had brought upon the gospel.
     Here is given a lesson for all Christ's followers. The gospel makes no compromise with evil. It cannot excuse sin. Secret sins are to be confessed in secret to God; but, for open sin, open confession is required. The reproach of the disciple's sin is cast upon Christ. It causes Satan to triumph, and wavering souls to stumble. By giving proof of repentance, the disciple, so far as lies in his power, is to remove this reproach. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2020, 05:36:33 AM »
Simplify what it means to follow Jesus. Spend about an hour focusing on Jesus' perfect life and sacrifice in the Bible and precious books like The Desire of Ages. Pray earnestly to become like Jesus and pray for others, asking God to forgive your sins and to fill you with the Holy Spirit, surrendering your whole heart to Him so He fills you with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. Share Jesus' love with others as you gladly obey the Ten Commandments--the definition of freedom! We can learn from Peter how important it is to let GOD PLAN for us!!

"To Peter the words 'Follow Me' were full of instruction. Not only for his death, but for every step of his life, was the lesson given. Hitherto Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord. Jesus bids him, 'Follow Me.' Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy." {The Desire of Ages, page 816, paragraph 3}

Jesus has a plan for you today. He lived to bless others, and when He is in our hearts by living faith, we will follow in His steps to be a light in this world and help many more souls come to Christ while He is still ministering in the heavenly sanctuary before coming as our King to deliver us from this world and take us to heaven! Let us walk with Jesus!!

Beacon

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2020, 06:25:43 AM »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by Richard Meyers.  "The first counsel I got after my conversion was just that, stay two steps behind Jesus, not running ahead of Him. It was such good counsel." 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amen Richard....This is such good advice that I just had to share it.

"Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan. But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord...

Jesus bids him, "Follow Me." Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy."

I know I have been guilty of the same type of thinking -- How about you??  Now, in my senior years, I can clearly see that much frustration and mental/spiritual pain could have been avoided if only I had heeded the counsel of His Holy Word. I am very thankful, however, that our Jesus does not give up on us,,,He allows U-Turns, and by His Grace and Mercy will bring us safely to the heavenly shores.

Isaiah 40:31 says, "But they that-- "wait upon the Lord" -- shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2020, 08:10:50 AM »

I am very thankful, however, that our Jesus does not give up on us,,,He allows U-Turns, and by His Grace and Mercy will bring us safely to the heavenly shores.

Amen Brother Beacon!! God does not give up on us unless we can no longer hear His still small voice speaking to us.

Jesus has a plan for you today. He lived to bless others, and when He is in our hearts by living faith, we will follow in His steps to be a light in this world and help many more souls come to Christ while He is still ministering in the heavenly sanctuary before coming as our King to deliver us from this world and take us to heaven! Let us walk with Jesus!!

Amen Pastor Sean! No matter that we have hurt our Savior, He loves us and still has a plan for us. We learn this from today's reading. Whether Jesus had died or they all had forsaken Him, He continued on with His plan for them and will for us!

Vividly they recalled the scene beside the sea when Jesus had bidden them follow Him. They remembered how, at His command, they had launched out into the deep, and had let down their net, and the catch had been so abundant as to fill the net, even to breaking. Then Jesus had called them to leave their fishing boats, and had promised to make them fishers of men. It was to bring this scene to their minds, and to deepen its impression, that He had again performed the miracle. His act was a renewal of the commission to the disciples. It showed them that the death of their Master had not lessened their obligation to do the work He had assigned them. Though they were to be deprived of His personal companionship, and of the means of support by their former employment, the risen Saviour would still have a care for them. While they were doing His work, He would provide for their needs. And Jesus had a purpose in bidding them cast their net on the right side of the ship. On that side He stood upon the shore. That was the side of faith. If they labored in connection with Him,--His divine power combining with their human effort,--they could not fail of success.

Dorine

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
"The Saviour's manner of dealing with Peter had a lesson for him and for his brethren. It taught them to meet the transgressor with patience, sympathy, and forgiving love. Although Peter had denied his Lord, the love which Jesus bore him never faltered. Just such love should the undershepherd feel for the sheep and lambs committed to his care. Remembering his own weakness and failure, Peter was to deal with his flock as tenderly as Christ had dealt with him."

It is the Saviour's manner in the way He dealt with all people throughout His whole life on earth that draws us to Him. The love of Jesus in the heart changes us and we become like Him in our love, compassion and mercy for others. Should we treat others any different than how we want to be treated? Jesus is so calm, peaceful, loving, considerate and He looks upon us when we fall just as He did Peter. Not with condemnation but deep love and pity. Then He gives us another opportunity to reunite with Him and repent. Then enlists us to share with others what God has done for us. In our ministry to others they need to know that Jesus doesn't leave them when they mess up.

Dorine

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2021, 06:29:00 AM »
"Here is given a lesson for all Christ's followers. The gospel makes no compromise with evil. It cannot excuse sin. Secret sins are to be confessed in secret to God; but, for open sin, open confession is required. The reproach of the disciple's sin is cast upon Christ. It causes Satan to triumph, and wavering souls to stumble. By giving proof of repentance, the disciple, so far as lies in his power, is to remove this reproach."

The Lord does not leave us without guidance in anything pertaining to our salvation and happiness. When we wound the Saviour through taking our eyes off Him we also become a stumbling block to others who may be weak in the faith. The story of Peter is humbling and encouraging.  We all have different personalities and come from different walks of life; yet Jesus is able to work with each repentant, teachable soul to bring them into a saving relationship with Him refining each according to their need. Praise God for the miracle of conversion.

Beacon

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2021, 07:37:23 AM »
"The question that Christ had put to Peter was significant. He mentioned only one condition of discipleship and service. "Lovest thou Me?" He said.

This is the essential qualification.

Though Peter might possess every other, yet without the love of Christ he could not be a faithful shepherd over the Lord's flock.

Knowledge, benevolence, eloquence, gratitude, and zeal are all aids in the good work; but without the love of Jesus in the heart, the work of the Christian minister is a failure."

"Although Peter had denied his Lord, the love which Jesus bore him never faltered. Just such love should the undershepherd feel for the sheep and lambs committed to his care.

Remembering his own weakness and failure, Peter was to deal with his flock as tenderly as Christ had dealt with him."

Dearly Beloved; We need to remember how badly we have faltered from time to time and bring to remembrance how gently Jesus dealt with Peter and He is just as willing to forgive, restore and reinstate each of us when we have faltered just like Peter. Jesus extends His Mercy & Pardon to ALL who are willing to do a U-Turn, to Confess our Failures and to be Forgiven & Restored and once again become active laboring laborers in the great harvest field of our Lord.   

In the book of Isaiah 1:18 We find this wonderful promise. "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Please, don't let Satan tell you that it's too late. Come Now -- Just as you are and experience the Restoring Forgiveness and Love of Jesus and then PASS IT ON!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2021, 08:45:31 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!

What does it mean to be "rich" in the kingdom of heaven? Let us look at where the disciples gathered after the resurrection of Christ and contemplate the experience they had gained.

"Seven of the disciples were in company. They were clad in the humble garb of fishermen; they were poor in worldly goods, but rich in the knowledge and practice of the truth, which in the sight of Heaven gave them the highest rank as teachers. They had not been students in the schools of the prophets, but for three years they had been taught by the greatest Educator the world has ever known. Under His instruction they had become elevated, intelligent, and refined, agents through whom men might be led to a knowledge of the truth. " {The Desire of Ages, page 809, paragraph 2}

To know and practice truth is what makes a person truly "rich" in God's sight. Just professing to know and practice truth will avail nothing. Such is the profession of the Laodicean church in Revelation 3, and that is why Christ calls for the door of the heart to be opened to Him. Only by yielding the whole heart to Christ and letting His truth become our very lived experience--thus leading us in true conversion whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in the life--will cause the soul to walk in a saving, abiding relationship with Christ! May our lives become like Jesus by spending time with Jesus!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2021, 09:42:46 PM »
I really appreciate the lesson Jesus gives us regarding open sin. It is not good enough to ask Jesus for forgiveness. When we sin a public sin, we bring reproach upon Jesus, His church, and the Bible. It was for the good of the church, Jesus, and Peter that Jesus reproved him three times. All witnessed the repentance of Peter, thus he was able to work with the apostles.

As Sister Dorine has shared: "The reproach of the disciple's sin is cast upon Christ. It causes Satan to triumph, and wavering souls to stumble. By giving proof of repentance, the disciple, so far as lies in his power, is to remove this reproach."

Peter had been restored to his apostleship, but the honor and authority he received from Christ had not given him supremacy over his brethren. This Christ had made plain when in answer to Peter's question, "What shall this man do?" He had said, "What is that to thee? follow thou Me." Peter was not honored as the head of the church. The favor which Christ had shown him in forgiving his apostasy, and entrusting him with the feeding of the flock, and Peter's own faithfulness in following Christ, won for him the confidence of his brethren. He had much influence in the church. But the lesson which Christ had taught him by the Sea of Galilee Peter carried with him throughout his life.

Beacon

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2021, 06:36:01 AM »
"Peter had been inclined to act independently. He had tried to plan for the work of God, instead of waiting to follow out God's plan.

"But he could gain nothing by rushing on before the Lord."/b]

"Jesus bids him, "Follow Me." Do not run ahead of Me. Then you will not have the hosts of Satan to meet alone. Let Me go before you, and you will not be overcome by the enemy."

"I know I have been guilty of the same type of thinking -- How about you??  Now with many miles behind me, I can clearly see that much frustration and mental/spiritual pain could have been avoided if only I had heeded the counsel of His Holy Word. I am very thankful, however, that our Jesus does not give up on us..

He allows U-Turns, and by His Grace and Mercy will bring us safely to the heavenly shores.

Isaiah 40:31 says, "But they that-- "wait upon the Lord" -- shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."