Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--83--The Walk to Emmaus  (Read 22080 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--83--The Walk to Emmaus
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2021, 05:52:09 PM »
Yes, Brother Beacon, what shall we do this the greatest message ever given to man? This is one of my favorite chapters. I love how Jesus ministered to His two disciples.  I most especially enjoy the thrill that the disciples had as they hurried back to tell the story. Are we as excited as they? Jesus is just at the doors and we have the joy to tell the world. Don't give up your opportunity every day! What a message! What joy in sharing it with those seeking truth!!!

The night is dark, but the Sun of Righteousness is shining upon them. Their hearts leap for joy. They seem to be in a new world. Christ is a living Saviour. They no longer mourn over Him as dead. Christ is risen--over and over again they repeat it. This is the message they are carrying to the sorrowing ones. They must tell them the wonderful story of the walk to Emmaus. They must tell who joined them by the way. They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend.   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2021, 03:46:57 AM »
We can be hopeful! Even in these trying times, we can be hopeful in the prophecies that are fulfilling rapidly around us, for Jesus is coming again!

"'Then He said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into His glory?' The disciples wondered who this stranger could be, that He should penetrate to their very souls, and speak with such earnestness, tenderness, and sympathy, and with such hopefulness. For the first time since Christ's betrayal, they began to feel hopeful. Often they looked earnestly at their companion, and thought that His words were just the words that Christ would have spoken. They were filled with amazement, and their hearts began to throb with joyful expectation." {The Desire of Ages, page 796, paragraph 3} 

When Christ is in our hearts, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing! We can be joyful in Jesus who came to save to the uttermost and make us like Him in mind and character!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »
 "But with this great news to communicate they cannot sit and talk. Their weariness and hunger are gone. They leave their meal untasted, and full of joy immediately set out again on the same path by which they came, hurrying to tell the tidings to the disciples in the city."

Dear Remnant Family---We have Good News to share with a dying world and even within our own gates, but...What are we actively doing to share the "GOOD NEWS" about our Risen Savior who is now about to return to earth? Should we not also be just as motivated as were the two disciples, who, when the had a personal encounter with Jesus, immediately set out to share the good news with those who hearts desperately needed to hear the good news that Jesus was alive? Do our families, friends and neighbors not also need to hear the same message? It's not only that HE is alive and wants to save us from sin, but His Second Coming is fast approaching!! Let us not delay, let us obey, and some day very soon we will hear Jesus say..." Well Done "            
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2021, 04:02:28 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

What an experience the disciples had with Jesus on the walk to Emmaus after His resurrection! He anchored their faith in His word and gave them hope and courage to share the gospel of His grace! May we let Jesus also open to us the Scriptures that by surrendering fully to His word through the power of the Holy Spirit we may be "partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4) whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives and not one of the works of the flesh will be manifest!

"Thus Christ discoursed to His disciples, opening their minds that they might understand the Scriptures. The disciples were weary, but the conversation did not flag. Words of life and assurance fell from the Saviour's lips. But still their eyes were holden. As He told them of the overthrow of Jerusalem, they looked upon the doomed city with weeping. But little did they yet suspect who their traveling companion was. They did not think that the subject of their conversation was walking by their side; for Christ referred to Himself as though He were another person. They thought that He was one of those who had been in attendance at the great feast, and who was now returning to his home. He walked as carefully as they over the rough stones, now and then halting with them for a little rest. Thus they proceeded along the mountainous road, while the One who was soon to take His position at God's right hand, and who could say, 'All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth,' walked beside them. Matthew 28:18." {The Desire of Ages, page 800, paragraph 1}

May your day be filled with Jesus' personal presence as you go forward in the faith which works by love and purifies the soul! Jesus is coming again and we can rejoice in Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2021, 06:24:48 AM »
    Had the disciples failed to press their invitation, they would not have known that their traveling companion was the risen Lord. Christ never forces His company upon anyone. He interests Himself in those who need Him. Gladly will He enter the humblest home, and cheer the lowliest heart. But if men are too indifferent to think of the heavenly Guest, or ask Him to abide with them, He passes on. Thus many meet with great loss. They do not know Christ any more than did the disciples as He walked with them by the way.

A very important nugget to glean from this chapter, Christ does not force Himself on anyone, "Behold I stand at the door and Knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and he with Me."   We need to invite Christ into our lives and surrender all to him, if we do not do so He will pass us by and we will not realize it, just as Cleopas and the disciple would have missed Him by not inviting and insisting Jesus eat with them.  So we must open the door of our hearts to Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2021, 08:24:04 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon, Pastor Sean, and Brother Philip! What a lovely chapter!!  It makes me smile every time I read, even after over 35 years. As we have read, many in other churches do not pay much attention to the Old Testament, they even print half Bibles with the Old Testament missing. How very sad.

Beginning at Moses, the very Alpha of Bible history, Christ expounded in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself. Had He first made Himself known to them, their hearts would have been satisfied. In the fullness of their joy they would have hungered for nothing more. But it was necessary for them to understand the witness borne to Him by the types and prophecies of the Old Testament. Upon these their faith must be established. Christ performed no miracle to convince them, but it was His first work to explain the Scriptures. They had looked upon His death as the destruction of all their hopes. Now He showed from the prophets that this was the very strongest evidence for their faith.

The very strongest evidence for their faith was what was written in the Old Testament. Often we fail to share these prophecies with others who do not know the Bible is absolute truth. Let us continue to obtain a deeper understanding from these prophecies, especially from the light given in the sanctuary and its services.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2021, 06:37:05 AM »
"But, with this great news..(that Jesus is Alive ) to communicate they cannot sit and talk. Their weariness and hunger are gone. They leave their meal untasted, and full of joy immediately set out again on the same path by which they came, hurrying to tell the tidings to the disciples in the city."

My Dear Remnant Family---We have Good News to share with a dying world and even within our own gates, but...What are we actively doing to share the "GOOD NEWS" about our Risen Savior who is now about to return to earth?

Should we not also be just as motivated as were the two disciples, who, when the had a personal encounter with Jesus, immediately set out to share the good news with those who hearts desperately needed to hear the good news that Jesus was alive?
Do our families, friends and neighbors not also need to hear the same message? It's not only that HE is alive and wants to save us from sin, but His Second Coming is fast approaching!!

Let us not delay, let us obey, and some day very soon we will hear Jesus say..." Well Done "

Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

(Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879))

Philip T

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2021, 07:00:43 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon I was struck with similar thoughts as I read this paragraph:

The night is dark, but the Sun of Righteousness is shining upon them. Their hearts leap for joy. They seem to be in a new world. Christ is a living Saviour. They no longer mourn over Him as dead. Christ is risen--over and over again they repeat it. This is the message they are carrying to the sorrowing ones. They must tell them the wonderful story of the walk to Emmaus. They must tell who joined them by the way. They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend.   

The disciples did not care that it was dark and the road rough and dangerous, their hearts were ablaze with the truth that Jesus was risen, alive, and they could not wait to share the news with those other believer is doubt and discouragement. That is the last commission given before Jesus ascends to heaven. Are our hearts ablaze for our risen savior? We are to be beacons of light to a dark world around us, and share the love and hope, and joy of a living Savior. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2021, 07:51:16 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!

Praise the Lord for the risen Savior, Jesus, who is now our High Priest interceding for us in the sanctuary in heaven, blotting out the record of the sins of all who have come unto Him in true repentance which He offers us as a gift! Then with hearts renewed by divine grace, Jesus manifests through us all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing, for we have a message to give to a world that needs to know His love and the promise of His soon return!

"The night is dark, but the Sun of Righteousness is shining upon them. Their hearts leap for joy. They seem to be in a new world. Christ is a living Saviour. They no longer mourn over Him as dead. Christ is risen--over and over again they repeat it. This is the message they are carrying to the sorrowing ones. They must tell them the wonderful story of the walk to Emmaus. They must tell who joined them by the way. They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend." {The Desire of Ages, page 801, paragraph 3}   

Christ is the center of our hopes, the anchor of our salvation. As we share what He has done for us, the loveliness of His character means even more to us as we learn to walk by faith in uplifting Jesus continually!

Dorine

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2021, 08:34:18 AM »
"Thus Christ discoursed to His disciples, opening their minds that they might understand the Scriptures. The disciples were weary, but the conversation did not flag. Words of life and assurance fell from the Saviour's lips. But still their eyes were holden. As He told them of the overthrow of Jerusalem, they looked upon the doomed city with weeping. But little did they yet suspect who their traveling companion was. They did not think that the subject of their conversation was walking by their side; for Christ referred to Himself as though He were another person. They thought that He was one of those who had been in attendance at the great feast, and who was now returning to his home. He walked as carefully as they over the rough stones, now and then halting with them for a little rest. Thus they proceeded along the mountainous road, while the One who was soon to take His position at God's right hand, and who could say, "All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth," walked beside them." Matthew 28:18.

When these disciples finally recognized Jesus they quickly forgot their troubled thoughts and conversation and they were filled with joy and happiness beyond words. Jesus lives and is longing to bring to needy hearts understanding of the scriptures that they too may know Him and experience all the joys that He brings. That's where we come in. Today brings opportunities to witness to His love and grace for each one.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2021, 10:11:25 PM »
Amen dear sister!  This is one of my favorite chapters!  We may experience the very same joy that they experienced as we listen to that still small voice speaking to us each day. Having just finished the Sabbath School teachings on the "everlasting covenant," I thought it was good to notice the statement in today's reading.

Reasoning from prophecy, Christ gave His disciples a correct idea of what He was to be in humanity. Their expectation of a Messiah who was to take His throne and kingly power in accordance with the desires of men had been misleading. It would interfere with a correct apprehension of His descent from the highest to the lowest position that could be occupied. Christ desired that the ideas of His disciples might be pure and true in every specification. They must understand as far as possible in regard to the cup of suffering that had been apportioned to Him. He showed them that the awful conflict which they could not yet comprehend was the fulfillment of the covenant made before the foundation of the world was laid. Christ must die, as every transgressor of the law must die if he continues in sin. All this was to be, but it was not to end in defeat, but in glorious, eternal victory. Jesus told them that every effort must be made to save the world from sin. His followers must live as He lived, and work as He worked, with intense, persevering effort.   

I doubt that many recognize that this was the "everlasting covenant."  It is sad that it was not clearly taught in last quarter's lessons. The everlasting covenant was indeed the promise to save man from sin, not in sin. It was a promise to transform sinners into saints.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2021, 07:30:23 AM »
Is it not unusual for us to forget what God has said or done? How sad!  Most important we ought not forget God. This happens far too often. We read in today's reading that others in the days of Jesus on this Earth, forgot what Jesus said also.

Strange that the disciples did not remember Christ's words, and realize that He had foretold the events which had come to pass! They did not realize that the last part of His disclosure would be just as verily fulfilled as the first part, that the third day He would rise again. This was the part they should have remembered. The priests and rulers did not forget this. On the day "that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while He was yet alive, After three days I will rise again." Matthew 27:62, 63. But the disciples did not remember these words. 

But, the evil ones did not forget. How strange. I think we war against supernatural powers that do all they can to distract us from that which is most important to us.

Beacon

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
"Jesus was invited into their humble home in Emmaus, He hesitated, but they entreated Him to stay and eat with them."

"Christ yielded to this entreaty and "went in to tarry with them."

"Had the disciples failed to press their invitation, they would not have known that their traveling companion was the risen Lord. Christ never forces His company upon anyone. He interests Himself in those who need Him. Gladly will He enter the humblest home, and cheer the lowliest heart."

"The simple evening meal of bread is soon prepared. It is placed before the guest, who has taken His seat at the head of the table. Now He puts forth His hands to bless the food. The disciples start back in astonishment. Their companion spreads forth His hands in exactly the same way as their Master used to do."

"They look again, and lo, they see in His hands the print of nails. Both exclaim at once, It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead!

They rise to cast themselves at His feet and worship Him, but He has vanished out of their sight. "

"Can you imagine their excitement, relief, and joy! It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead. It is not the END filled with sadness, grief and utter disappointment."

"As they hurried in the darkness and danger back to Jerusalem can you imagine their excitement ---JESUS IS ALIVE!!"

"They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend."

Have we not also been commissioned to carry the greatest message ever given to the world. Will not the same Jesus come with us to guide and protect?? The door of mercy & probation is about to close for the inhabitants of this planet..May God help us to have the same response as these two disciples.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2021, 09:45:06 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard! We are in a supernatural war in which Satan, the world, and our fallen nature are contending to keep us from truly experiencing union and communion with Christ. We need Jesus continually in order to do any good thing! Amen, Brother Beacon! May the love of Christ constrain us forward in His service!

Beautiful is the thought that Jesus meets us where we are, and seeks to win our hearts above the emotional and mental fog we might be facing through disappointment. When the disciples walked along the road to Emmaus, they initially start out very discouraged.

"Late in the afternoon of the day of the resurrection, two of the disciples were on their way to Emmaus, a little town eight miles from Jerusalem. These disciples had had no prominent place in Christ's work, but they were earnest believers in Him. They had come to the city to keep the Passover, and were greatly perplexed by the events that had recently taken place. They had heard the news of the morning in regard to the removal of Christ's body from the tomb, and also the report of the women who had seen the angels and had met Jesus. They were now returning to their homes to meditate and pray. Sadly they pursued their evening walk, talking over the scenes of the trial and the crucifixion. Never before had they been so utterly disheartened. Hopeless and faithless, they were walking in the shadow of the cross." {The Desire of Ages, page 795, paragraph 1}

But the One who died on the cross and rose from the grave did not leave the disciples in the condition He found them. So today, Christ is willing to win our hearts to the healing reality of His word and help us to overcome the sin that so easily besets us, so we can be victorious witnesses for Him! After having their faith anchored in Christ, we see the change of experience that comes from understanding the prophecies as they are found in Christ:

"The night is dark, but the Sun of Righteousness is shining upon them. Their hearts leap for joy. They seem to be in a new world. Christ is a living Saviour. They no longer mourn over Him as dead. Christ is risen--over and over again they repeat it. This is the message they are carrying to the sorrowing ones. They must tell them the wonderful story of the walk to Emmaus. They must tell who joined them by the way. They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend." {The Desire of Ages, page 801, paragraph 3}

When we have Christ abiding in us and intelligently grasp His promises by which we become partakers of the divine nature, we can rejoice to overcome by His divine grace and have Him renewing our hearts and minds! All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be seen in our lives as we grow more like Jesus in affectionate obedience to His law of love! May we never lose sight of Jesus in all the trials we face in life!

Beacon

« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2021, 08:07:27 PM »
"Christ desired that the ideas of His disciples might be pure and true in every specification."

"They must understand as far as possible in regard to the cup of suffering that had been apportioned to Him.

"He showed them that the awful conflict which they could not yet comprehend was the fulfillment of the covenant made before the foundation of the world was laid."

"Christ must die, as every transgressor of the law must die if he continues in sin."

"All this was to be, but it was not to end in defeat, but in glorious, eternal victory"

"Jesus told them that every effort must be made to save the world from sin. His followers must live as He lived, and work as He worked, with intense, persevering effort."

Are "We" Willing to live as He lived? Are "We" willing to Work as He Worked with intense, persevering effort??

Work, for the night is coming,
Work through the morning hours;
Work while the dew is sparkling,
Work ’mid springing flowers;
Work when the day grows brighter,
Work in the glowing sun;
When man’s work is done.
Work through the sunny noon;
Fill brightest hours with labor,
Rest comes sure and soon.
Give every flying minute,
Something to keep in store;
When man works no more.
Under the sunset skies;
While their bright tints are glowing,
Work, for daylight flies.
Work till the last beam fadeth,
Fadeth to shine no more;
Work, while the night is darkening,
When man’s work is o’er

Lyrics:Anna Louisa Walker Coghill (1836-1907)
Music:Lowell Mason (1792-1872)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2021, 05:52:11 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Try to imagine what it was like. Their hearts were so disappointed that they could hardly believe that Jesus would actually rise from the dead. But then when Jesus meets them as though he were another man, the Holy Spirit begins to awaken hope in their hearts! In your most trying moments, may you turn to Jesus and His word for the strength and victory He offers!

“For the first time since Christ’s betrayal, they began to feel hopeful. Often they looked earnestly at their companion, and thought that His words were just the words that Christ would have spoken. They were filled with amazement, and their hearts began to throb with joyful expectation.” {The Desire of Ages, page 796, paragraph 3}

Jesus takes us all the way. From the depths of the most discouraging moments, He seeks to resurrect the most significant hope in our lives—He anchors us in the unchanging reality of His risen life and as we surrender fully to Him we are partaking with Him of the Holy Spirit! In true conversion, this is our lifestyle without one trait missing: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law” (Galatians 5:22-23). Then we can affectionately obey God from the heart He has renewed by the power of the risen Christ!

Dorine

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2021, 06:09:28 AM »
"It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. The miracles of Christ are a proof of His divinity; but a stronger proof that He is the world's Redeemer is found in comparing the prophecies of the Old Testament with the history of the New."

Many people do not enjoy the old testament because it is so full of judgment. They can not see the mercy and grace of Jesus in His justice. They miss out on so much and their faith becomes weak when they are faced with adversity. Too many are satisfied with the milk of the word and are not interested in digging deeper for the meat. The disciples in todays reading needed to dig deeper into scripture so they could see the fulfillment of prophecy and experience the joy of a risen Savior. When we spend time searching for truth in God's word we are strengthened in our faith and grounded in our beliefs and are able to share with others biblical truths that God has revealed to us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2021, 09:00:32 AM »
Late in the afternoon of the day of the resurrection, two of the disciples were on their way to Emmaus, a little town eight miles from Jerusalem. These disciples had had no prominent place in Christ's work, but they were earnest believers in Him. They had come to the city to keep the Passover, and were greatly perplexed by the events that had recently taken place. They had heard the news of the morning in regard to the removal of Christ's body from the tomb, and also the report of the women who had seen the angels and had met Jesus. They were now returning to their homes to meditate and pray. Sadly they pursued their evening walk, talking over the scenes of the trial and the crucifixion. Never before had they been so utterly disheartened. Hopeless and faithless, they were walking in the shadow of the cross.
     They had not advanced far on their journey when they were joined by a stranger, but they were so absorbed in their gloom and disappointment that they did not observe him closely. They continued their conversation, expressing the thoughts of their hearts. They were reasoning in regard to the lessons that Christ had given, which they seemed unable to comprehend. As they talked of the events that had taken place, Jesus longed to comfort them. He had seen their grief; He understood the conflicting, perplexing ideas that brought to their minds the thought, Can this Man, who suffered Himself to be so humiliated, be the Christ? Their grief could not be restrained, and they wept. Jesus knew that their hearts were bound up with Him in love, and He longed to wipe away their tears, and fill them with joy and gladness. But He must first give them lessons they would never forget.
[/size]

Why did Jesus appear to these two? It struck me as I read and contemplated this morning, that even though they were disappointed, their faith was suffering, they were still seeking Jesus, and anytime we seek Him he will not fail to respond to us and teach us and send His Holy Spirit to help and convict us to understand the truth, to come in we must open our hearts to Him, and surrender to His guidance. This I had not seen when reading this chapter before. God does not force he waits for us to seek Him.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2021, 02:49:39 PM »
Amen Brother Philip!  After reading this wonderful book for my devotions over 30 years, I still see new truths or old truths to a deeper meaning! I love this chapter as it is such a happy one. When God reveals truths what can be better!! And these two men were the ones chosen by Jesus to undo the false teachings that led the nation to reject their Savior, their Messiah. They had been taught that Jesus would rule from an earthly throne. But, Jesus pointed them to the truth that all those lambs slaughtered revealed that He came to die to save them from sin. Even the disciples Jesus had chosen, after three and a half years could not understand He came to die.  :(

"Then He said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into His glory?" The disciples wondered who this stranger could be, that He should penetrate to their very souls, and speak with such earnestness, tenderness, and sympathy, and with such hopefulness. For the first time since Christ's betrayal, they began to feel hopeful. Often they looked earnestly at their companion, and thought that His words were just the words that Christ would have spoken. They were filled with amazement, and their hearts began to throb with joyful expectation.
     Beginning at Moses, the very Alpha of Bible history, Christ expounded in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself. Had He first made Himself known to them, their hearts would have been satisfied. In the fullness of their joy they would have hungered for nothing more. But it was necessary for them to understand the witness borne to Him by the types and prophecies of the Old Testament. Upon these their faith must be established. Christ performed no miracle to convince them, but it was His first work to explain the Scriptures. They had looked upon His death as the destruction of all their hopes. Now He showed from the prophets that this was the very strongest evidence for their faith.

The word "fools" must have had a different meaning coming from Jesus.   :)   He chose them because they were not like what we would call fools. The world might have called them thusly, but not Jesus. They loved the truth. There were no mean the fools in our day.

Beacon

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2022, 08:00:36 PM »
"Christ is risen--over and over again they repeat it."

"This is the message they are carrying to the sorrowing ones."

"They must tell them the wonderful story of the walk to Emmaus."

"They must tell who joined them by the way."

"They carry the greatest message ever given to the world."

"A message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend."

Are we today as excited about telling others of the soon coming of Jesus as were these two disciples?

Lift up the trumpet, and loud let it ring:
Jesus is coming again!
Cheer up, ye pilgrims, be joyful and sing:
Jesus is coming again!

Refrain
Coming again, coming again,
Jesus is coming again!

Echo it, hilltops; proclaim it, ye plains:
Jesus is coming again!
Coming in glory, the Lamb that was slain;
Jesus is coming again!

Heavings of earth, tell the vast, wondering throng: