Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--83--The Walk to Emmaus  (Read 22078 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--83--The Walk to Emmaus
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 07:02:11 AM »
Amen, Jim and Richard! Praise God for the privilege that we have to behold Christ in His fullness, to comprehend and appreciate His exalted loveliness that led Him to go to the most shameful death--what an exchange from the highest to the lowest place. Christ Himself went to the cross and rose from the dead to give us eternal life! Our part is to walk with Him, to learn of His grace, and to yield the heart to Him so He can cleanse and purify us, making us like Him in mind and character (all the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing as we live up to all the light of God's law that we know).

"Reasoning from prophecy, Christ gave His disciples a correct idea of what He was to be in humanity. Their expectation of a Messiah who was to take His throne and kingly power in accordance with the desires of men had been misleading. It would interfere with a correct apprehension of His descent from the highest to the lowest position that could be occupied. Christ desired that the ideas of His disciples might be pure and true in every specification. They must understand as far as possible in regard to the cup of suffering that had been apportioned to Him. He showed them that the awful conflict which they could not yet comprehend was the fulfillment of the covenant made before the foundation of the world was laid. Christ must die, as every transgressor of the law must die if he continues in sin. All this was to be, but it was not to end in defeat, but in glorious, eternal victory. Jesus told them that every effort must be made to save the world from sin. His followers must live as He lived, and work as He worked, with intense, persevering effort." {The Desire of Ages, page 799, paragraph 3}   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 02:52:23 AM »
Do you see Jesus? He is with us, though unseen. But how He longs to be desired, recognized, and appreciated! As my heart burns with joy this Sabbath morning in fresh contemplation of the loveliness of Jesus, I am so encouraged to realize that He revealed Himself to the disciples by the pathway of their familiar associations--blessing the food for their evening meal, which then revealed the print of the nails. I contemplate that when we are in heaven, Jesus will ever bear the marks of His humiliation, for His wounds are the hiding of His power. That the Son of God, yes, that the Deity would become humanity for us, giving up His omnipresence, yielding Himself to the most cruel death to save us--what language can rightly portray the value of the message we get to share?! We have a Brother named Jesus for ETERNITY!! How can our hearts not burn within us!

As Jesus revealed Himself to the disciples after anchoring their faith in the word of God, He again vanished. I contemplated this more today. We are in a similar position. We do not see Jesus physically, but we can see Him with the eye of faith, grasping by faith the unseen and eternal reality of His presence through the Holy Spirit, who works in us to will and to do according to His good pleasure. The joy and enthusiasm that animates the disciples is so great that all else before them is lost sight of, and their food untasted, they go forth to proclaim a risen Savior! May His love so fill us that we cannot hold our peace, we must find one more soul with whom to share the everlasting gospel of the loveliness of the character of God and all He has done for us, thus leading to a total transformation in our characters whereby obedience is a delight, sacrifice is a pleasure, and the path that before seemed shrouded in darkness becomes bright with beams from the Sun of righteousness! Amazingly, the two disciples actually walked the same road as before, only in a NEW way! We are filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing when Jesus abides in the soul by a living faith! What joy to proclaim the greatest message ever committed to any beings ever at a time in which the world was never more in need of a revelation of His character (and the onlooking universe is waiting to see what the power of God's grace can do in changing sinners into saints, keeping them from falling into sin as they abide in Him at a time when every weapon of hell will be arrayed against them. Rejoice! Let the heart that burns with love for the Savior impel you to go forward in the path He chooses for you today!!!

"The simple evening meal of bread is soon prepared. It is placed before the guest, who has taken His seat at the head of the table. Now He puts forth His hands to bless the food. The disciples start back in astonishment. Their companion spreads forth His hands in exactly the same way as their Master used to do. They look again, and lo, they see in His hands the print of nails. Both exclaim at once, It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead!" {The Desire of Ages, page 800, paragraph 4}   
     They rise to cast themselves at His feet and worship Him, but He has vanished out of their sight. They look at the place which had been occupied by One whose body had lately lain in the grave, and say to each other, 'Did not our heart burn within us, while He talked with us by the way, and while He opened to us the Scriptures?'" {The Desire of Ages, page 801, paragraph 1}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 05:03:04 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! I love this chapter! How exciting! Were they excited before they knew it was Jesus? Yes! Why? Because they were being fed!

Their souls hungered to hear more from Him. "Abide with us," they said.

I had the joy of experiencing this today. When we are feeding upon spiritual food, we have that same excitement that they had while walking on the road to Emmaus.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 04:41:54 AM »
What a story! What a message they carried back to the disciples who were mourning!! Do we not have the very same message!! Do not our hearts also burn with joy over the greatest message ever given to the universe? Oh how I love Jesus and the joy His resurrection brings to the world!

The night is dark, but the Sun of Righteousness is shining upon them. Their hearts leap for joy. They seem to be in a new world. Christ is a living Saviour. They no longer mourn over Him as dead. Christ is risen--over and over again they repeat it. This is the message they are carrying to the sorrowing ones. They must tell them the wonderful story of the walk to Emmaus. They must tell who joined them by the way. They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend.   

They learned much from their conversation with Jesus. But, I am always amazed as I listen to them while sitting at the evening table: "The simple evening meal of bread is soon prepared. It is placed before the guest, who has taken His seat at the head of the table. Now He puts forth His hands to bless the food. The disciples start back in astonishment. Their companion spreads forth His hands in exactly the same way as their Master used to do. They look again, and lo, they see in His hands the print of nails. Both exclaim at once, It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead!"   

They knew who He was by the manner in which He spread His hands to bless the food! And, it did not take but a moment to confirm this truth when they saw the nail prints in His hands. Those same prints will be there for us to see also. They are the proof that God's grace is just what the Word says it is, the power that transforms sinners into saints......and that will keep the universe free from sin for eternity!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 05:26:31 AM »
Amen, Richard!! We have a risen Savior, and He is amply able to bring us into a living-faith experience as we converse with Him and have our faith anchored in His word that reveals the loveliness of His character!

"Reasoning from prophecy, Christ gave His disciples a correct idea of what He was to be in humanity. Their expectation of a Messiah who was to take His throne and kingly power in accordance with the desires of men had been misleading. It would interfere with a correct apprehension of His descent from the highest to the lowest position that could be occupied. Christ desired that the ideas of His disciples might be pure and true in every specification. They must understand as far as possible in regard to the cup of suffering that had been apportioned to Him. He showed them that the awful conflict which they could not yet comprehend was the fulfillment of the covenant made before the foundation of the world was laid. Christ must die, as every transgressor of the law must die if he continues in sin. All this was to be, but it was not to end in defeat, but in glorious, eternal victory. Jesus told them that every effort must be made to save the world from sin. His followers must live as He lived, and work as He worked, with intense, persevering effort." {The Desire of Ages, page 799, paragraph 3}

When we truly know who Jesus is by a full-heart surrender, His resurrection power is made perfect in our human weakness, for divinity combines with humanity and reveals the glory of God to a world needing to see the power of grace! I am so thankful that Jesus has better things for us than we can ask or think--so we can trust Him to plan for us!     

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 05:59:05 AM »
Amen Richard and Pastor Sean. This chapter brought me to tears. Tears of joy. I became so engrossed in the story that it was as though I was right there travelling with them and listening to every word.

Another thought that impressed me strongly was the following.....

"Had the disciples failed to press their invitation, they would not have known that their traveling companion was the risen Lord. Christ never forces His company upon anyone. He interests Himself in those who need Him. Gladly will He enter the humblest home, and cheer the lowliest heart. But if men are too indifferent to think of the heavenly  Guest, or ask Him to abide with them, He passes on. Thus many meet with great loss. They do not know Christ any more than did the disciples as He walked with them by the way."

This hymn comes to mind:

Pass me not oh gentle Saviour, hear my humble cry.
While on others thou art calling, do not pass me by.

He longs to reside in the heart of every man, woman and child but he will not force Himself. He enters only by invitation. This is a daily experience. May we walk today in the beauty of the truth that Jesus is our risen Saviour realizing that there is a whole world to inform and doing all we can to spread the good news. Just like the experience of those disciples, the road may be long and difficult but Jesus is right there travelling by our side. Our strength will be renewed.

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isa."40:31
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine. I love this chapter! That we too would be so excited about that very same message.

Beacon

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »
"Late in the afternoon of the day of the resurrection, two of the disciples were on their way to Emmaus, a little town eight miles from Jerusalem. These disciples had had no prominent place in Christ's work, but they were earnest believers in Him. Sadly they pursued their evening walk, talking over the scenes of the trial and the crucifixion. Never before had they been so utterly disheartened. Hopeless and faithless, they were walking in the shadow of the cross. Jesus longed to comfort them. Their grief could not be restrained, and they wept. Jesus knew that their hearts were bound up with Him in love, and He longed to wipe away their tears, and fill them with joy and gladness. Strange that the disciples did not remember Christ's words, and realize that He had foretold the events which had come to pass! They did not realize that the last part of His disclosure would be just as verily fulfilled as the first part, that the third day He would rise again. This was the part they should have remembered. "

Why is it that I also have found myself at times in the pit of despair, all alone, feeling like my whole world was crashing in around me and that no one cared?? I had been taught that Jesus promised never to leave me nor forsake me but somehow in the despair of the moment I too forgot His promises

"Now He showed from the prophets that this was the very strongest evidence for their faith. In teaching these disciples, Jesus showed the importance of the Old Testament as a witness to His mission. Many professed Christians now discard the Old Testament, claiming that it is no longer of any use. But such is not Christ's teaching. So highly did He value it that at one time He said, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Luke 16:31.It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New.It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. /color]

"Jesus was invited into their humble home in Emmaus, He hesistated but  they entreated Him to stay and eat with them. ." Christ yielded to this entreaty and "went in to tarry with them." Had the disciples failed to press their invitation, they would not have known that their traveling companion was the risen Lord. Christ never forces His company upon anyone. He interests Himself in those who need Him. Gladly will He enter the humblest home, and cheer the lowliest heart. The simple evening meal of bread is soon prepared. It is placed before the guest, who has taken His seat at the head of the table. Now He puts forth His hands to bless the food. The disciples start back in astonishment. Their companion spreads forth His hands in exactly the same way as their Master used to do. They look again, and lo, they see in His hands the print of nails. Both exclaim at once, It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead! They rise to cast themselves at His feet and worship Him, but He has vanished out of their sight. "

Can you imagine their excitement, relief, and joy.  :D :D  It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead. It is not the END filled with sadness, grief and utter disappointment. "They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend.[/b]"

"They leave their meal untasted, and full of joy immediately set out again on the same path by which they came, hurrying to tell the tidings to the disciples in the city. In some parts the road is not safe, but they climb over the steep places, slipping on the smooth rocks. They do not see, they do not know, that they have the protection of Him who has traveled the road with them. With their pilgrim staff in hand, they press on, desiring to go faster than they dare. They lose their track, but find it again. Sometimes running, sometimes stumbling, they press forward, their unseen Companion close beside them all the way. They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend.

Have we not also been commissioned to carry the greatest message ever given to the world. Will not the same Jesus come with us to guide and protect?? The door of mercy & probation is about to close for the inhabitants of this planet..May God help us to have the same response as these two disciples.

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 06:12:16 AM »
When we remember what Jesus has said and let it sink deep in our hearts, we experience such joy! Let us not forget what He has said. As I was reading the morning about the Emmaus walk that Jesus had with the disciples, I was again very encouraged to think of its application to the last days, as Jesus has promised that all that would be fulfilled SHALL BE FULFILLED! He is coming with power and great glory, and we will pass through great tribulation in these last days--but we can be of good courage with Jesus by our side and abiding in our hearts!!

"Strange that the disciples did not remember Christ's words, and realize that He had foretold the events which had come to pass! They did not realize that the last part of His disclosure would be just as verily fulfilled as the first part, that the third day He would rise again. This was the part they should have remembered. The priests and rulers did not forget this. On the day 'that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate, saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while He was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.' Matthew 27:62, 63. But the disciples did not remember these words." {The Desire of Ages, page 796, paragraph 2}

Let us remember how well it is to spend a thoughtful hour dwelling upon the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes, and to have His joy in our hearts today by surrendering the whole heart to Him--for with His joy also comes all of the fruits of the Spirit--not one will be missing!

Dorine

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
"Beginning at Moses, the very Alpha of Bible history, Christ expounded in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself. Had He first made Himself known to them, their hearts would have been satisfied. In the fullness of their joy they would have hungered for nothing more. But it was necessary for them to understand the witness borne to Him by the types and prophecies of the Old Testament. Upon these their faith must be established. Christ performed no miracle to convince them, but it was His first work to explain the Scriptures. They had looked upon His death as the destruction of all their hopes. Now He showed from the prophets that this was the very strongest evidence for their faith.     In teaching these disciples, Jesus showed the importance of the Old Testament as a witness to His mission. Many professed Christians now discard the Old Testament, claiming that it is no longer of any use. But such is not Christ's teaching. So highly did He value it that at one time He said, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." Luke 16:31."

This is such an important truth to understand. It's when the whole of scripture is believed and understood that all the puzzle pieces fit together to reveal a picture of who Jesus is and God's plan of salvation; to rescue a world lost in sin. This message is just as vital for us today as it was for those disciples. It will establish our faith in the words of Jesus and ground us in His truth. The result is a peace that passes all understanding, and a trust in God that holds us securely in His care no matter the circumstances we are facing.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »
Amen, Dear Sister Dorine. This was the thought that impressed me greatly this morning. Loving Jesus is what is required, that we love God with the whole heart. But, the Scripture is that which reveals His character and causes us to love Him, to trust Him, to give Him all we are and all we have.

It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. The miracles of Christ are a proof of His divinity; but a stronger proof that He is the world's Redeemer is found in comparing the prophecies of the Old Testament with the history of the New.
     Reasoning from prophecy, Christ gave His disciples a correct idea of what He was to be in humanity. Their expectation of a Messiah who was to take His throne and kingly power in accordance with the desires of men had been misleading. It would interfere with a correct apprehension of His descent from the highest to the lowest position that could be occupied. Christ desired that the ideas of His disciples might be pure and true in every specification. They must understand as far as possible in regard to the cup of suffering that had been apportioned to Him. He showed them that the awful conflict which they could not yet comprehend was the fulfillment of the covenant made before the foundation of the world was laid. Christ must die, as every transgressor of the law must die if he continues in sin. All this was to be, but it was not to end in defeat, but in glorious, eternal victory. Jesus told them that every effort must be made to save the world from sin. His followers must live as He lived, and work as He worked, with intense, persevering effort.   

Satan has been working to deceive us about who God is. His character has been maligned. We must know God as it is our privilege to know Him. For it is through a knowledge of God that we are transformed in nature. It is true we shall not depart from our fallen nature until by God's grace we receive new bodies at His second coming. But, a fallen nature is not an excuse for sin. For God has provided a remedy in His So that we might become partakers of His divine nature. "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." 2 Peter 1:4.

Beacon

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2019, 09:45:53 PM »
It was late in the day and two disciples of Jesus were returning home to Emmaus ( about 8 miles from Jerusalem ) after the crucifixion of Jesus. They were broken hearted, filled with grief when suddenly they were joined by a stranger and as He talked with them their hearts began to burn with hope as He explained what had just taken place. Who was he??

"Jesus was invited into their humble home in Emmaus, He hesitated but  they entreated Him to stay and eat with them. ." Christ yielded to this entreaty and "went in to tarry with them." Had the disciples failed to press their invitation, they would not have known that their traveling companion was the risen Lord. Christ never forces His company upon anyone. He interests Himself in those who need Him. Gladly will He enter the humblest home, and cheer the lowliest heart. The simple evening meal of bread is soon prepared. It is placed before the guest, who has taken His seat at the head of the table. Now He puts forth His hands to bless the food. The disciples start back in astonishment. Their companion spreads forth His hands in exactly the same way as their Master used to do. They look again, and lo, they see in His hands the print of nails. Both exclaim at once, It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead! They rise to cast themselves at His feet and worship Him, but He has vanished out of their sight. "

Can you imagine their excitement, relief, and joy. It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead. It is not the END filled with sadness, grief and utter disappointment. "They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend.

What was their reaction??

"They leave their meal untasted, and full of joy immediately set out again on the same path by which they came, hurrying to tell the tidings to the disciples in the city. In some parts the road is not safe, but they climb over the steep places, slipping on the smooth rocks. They do not see, they do not know, that they have the protection of Him who has traveled the road with them. With their pilgrim staff in hand, they press on, desiring to go faster than they dare. They lose their track, but find it again. Sometimes running, sometimes stumbling, they press forward, their unseen Companion close beside them all the way. They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend.

Have we not also been commissioned to carry the greatest message ever given to the world. Will not the same Jesus come with us to guide and protect?? The door of mercy & probation is about to close for the inhabitants of this planet..May God help us to have the same response as these two disciples.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 07:14:27 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! As we invite Jesus to abide with us, He surely will! He longs for us to desire His presence, but He never forces Himself upon us.

As truth dawns upon our understanding (thus replacing error), we see the truth of the gospel in its purity and simplicity; we see that we need Jesus continually to do any good thing and that His grace alone can take fallen, sinful beings as ourselves and give us new hearts and new minds imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. As truth replaces error in hearts and minds, there is joy and freedom to walk in the way that God leads. Truth as it is in Jesus unifies His people and gives a clear commission to share the everlasting gospel with the whole world as the universe beholds what grace can do in the most trying of times in the history of this planet! Grace is much more than a word, and the word of God is more than a fact--God's grace applied to our hearts by His word and the renewing influence of the Holy Spirit supernaturally recreates us into God's image and impels us to go forward to share what great things Jesus has done for us and what He has promised to do! Jesus is coming again so soon!!   

Dorine

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
  "The simple evening meal of bread is soon prepared. It is placed before the guest, who has taken His seat at the head of the table. Now He puts forth His hands to bless the food. The disciples start back in astonishment. Their companion spreads forth His hands in exactly the same way as their Master used to do. They look again, and lo, they see in His hands the print of nails. Both exclaim at once, It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead!"

The excitement was overwhelming to these disciples to realize who their guest was. So much so that even though they were weary and hungry from their travels they dropped everything and returned to share the great news that Jesus lives to the disciples in the city.

Are we as excited about the good news as these disciples were? Do our hearts burn within us as we read and meditate upon the life of Jesus. I am convicted anew as I read this chapter to dedicate my life more fully to serving my Lord and Saviour. I need Him in my life every moment of every day. When I take my eyes off Him it doesn't take long and I am missing Him and I know He feels the same way. I never want to take His love and grace for granted by living in presumption.  We must stay connected to Jesus to maintain a saving relationship. I know there are many that do not like to hear that but it is the truth. Not even one tiny known sin will be overlooked but what generous grace is bestowed upon us when we humbly submit our lives to Him. He is gracious and courteous towards us and will never force us against our will.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 03:18:53 PM »
That's it, Sister Dorine!  That is the simple truth that ought to help all to understand the need and power of grace. We are evil by nature and can do no good thing......until born again of the Spirit. Is this not what Jesus told Nicodemus?

It is not a matter of never sinning. Moses sinned at the end of his life. Well, shortly before he died. He repented first. If we violate our conscience by doing one little thing we know to be wrong, then we do not have eternal life, we are not abiding in Christ, and the Spirit is not in us. Simple, yet profound to a church full of Laodiceans when they awaken to see they have a need in order to be saved. Should then those who accept this truth cry over the stringent requirements in order to enter heaven? No! Why not? Because we have a Savior who gives us time to learn of Him, to see His love and grace. A time to see who we are apart from Him. A time called probationary time to fix the problem. What a God we serve! He is calling to us, pleading for entrance into our hearts. Why cry when the Savior is at the doors? He will save us!!

It is true that we are always sinning these little sins believing they will not hurt us or others. But, the conscience is trying to tell us otherwise. The little sins do hurt us, others, and Christ. If we will learn of Jesus, then we will love Him because see that He first loved us. Then, we will want to live for Him as long as we do not forget who we are and who He is!

I love this chapter because of the reality that faced our friends when they listened to Jesus, and the reality that that same Jesus is speaking to you and me right now. We may not recognize Him any more than did the disciples that day on the road to Emmaus. But, we can identify His voice if we will spend time with Him. Spending a thoughtful hour a day with Jesus will enable us to discern the voice of God.

Here is another lesson for us to learn.

They rise to cast themselves at His feet and worship Him, but He has vanished out of their sight. They look at the place which had been occupied by One whose body had lately lain in the grave, and say to each other, "Did not our heart burn within us, while He talked with us by the way, and while He opened to us the Scriptures?"   

Yes, it is exciting to put ourselves in their place when they recognized Jesus by the way He spread His hands, and the nail marks in His hands. But, notice something else that got their attention. "Did not our heart burn within us, while He talked with us by the way, and while He opened to us the Scriptures?" 

We too may experience the very same burning in our hearts when we value Bible truth as did these two men. May God grant us an extra measure of the Holy Spirit that our eyes may be opened to see these wonderful truths!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 06:08:19 AM »
The disciples had trusted that Jesus was their Messiah, but after His death, they lost faith. Why? Because of false teachers who had perverted the sanctuary services. Even John the Baptist did not know the Lamb had to die.

They had not advanced far on their journey when they were joined by a stranger, but they were so absorbed in their gloom and disappointment that they did not observe him closely. They continued their conversation, expressing the thoughts of their hearts. They were reasoning in regard to the lessons that Christ had given, which they seemed unable to comprehend. As they talked of the events that had taken place, Jesus longed to comfort them. He had seen their grief; He understood the conflicting, perplexing ideas that brought to their minds the thought, Can this Man, who suffered Himself to be so humiliated, be the Christ? Their grief could not be restrained, and they wept. Jesus knew that their hearts were bound up with Him in love, and He longed to wipe away their tears, and fill them with joy and gladness. But He must first give them lessons they would never forget. 

God understands our perplexities because false teachers have perverted the gospel in our day also. But, we have no excuse since we have so much light shining brightly upon our path. Desire of Ages makes the gospel so very clear. If we would spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, we would understand the gospel truth. The Old Testament reveals the truth as does the New Testament. It was the revelation of the prophecies of the Old Testament that Jesus explained to these two men on the road to Emmaus. They then saw that their Messiah must die for their sins. They then could see the grace so provided that sinners might be transformed in character. What a blessing God has given to His people today!! Let us appreciate the privilege we have been given!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 09:05:04 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard!

The gospel is clear and simple in its power to transform sinners into saints who, beholding the loveliness of Jesus (His grace) are motivated to surrender the whole heart to Christ so He can fill the repentant child of God with all of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing. Such a supernatural life will always be manifest in affectionate obedience to all that the soul has discerned of the depth and beauty of God's law. As the purity of truth restores us into God's moral image, we experience His healing from the misconceptions that were blocking our understanding of God's ability to prepare His people for His coming who will stand without a mediator through the time of trouble such as never was. How is this possible? The Holy Spirit is so powerful that He can shape us to abide in God's will even as Jesus did. This experience has ever been available since the first gospel promise was spoken in Genesis 3:15, but it is ripening in its fullness even now as we behold Jesus continually by a living faith surrender to Him.

The intensity of wickedness and deception in our time calls for an intensely earnest, spiritual, and consecrated life that can only be wrought out by the effectual working of the Holy Spirit. We cannot simply preach the truth--in order for it to have any influence, the truth must become our lived experience whereby its transforming power can offer hope to those whose lived experience is the embodiment of evil and deception. The truth as it is in Jesus leads us to live the life He did by the same power He did, which is available to us by prayer, His word, and the effectual working of the Holy Spirit. We are, as it were, on the shore of limitless results (for we live in the time of the latter rain) as God works in us to will and to do for His good pleasure! Let us pray more fervently, believe more fully, and trust God implicitly as we move forward in faith!

Beacon

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
"Christ desired that the ideas of His disciples might be pure and true in every specification. They must understand as far as possible in regard to the cup of suffering that had been apportioned to Him. He showed them that the awful conflict which they could not yet comprehend was the fulfillment of the covenant made before the foundation of the world was laid. Christ must die, as every transgressor of the law must die if he continues in sin. All this was to be, but it was not to end in defeat, but in glorious, eternal victory. Jesus told them that every effort must be made to save the world from sin. His followers must live as He lived, and work as He worked, with intense, persevering effort. " 

The time was nearing for Jesus to return to the Father to act as our High Priest in the Heavenly Sanctuary. We would do well to look at His Powerful "All Encompassing Benediction" as recorded in the gospel of Matthew chapter 28.....

Matthew 28:18-20 King James Version (KJV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The Question Is....Are You - Am I, Willing to Obey? Are WE willing to say...I believe Your Great Promises? Here I am Lord take me and use me as you will to help tell the Wonderful Story of Redemption and the Glorious Opportunity to spend Eternity With Him & All the Redeemed.!!

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2019, 04:41:39 AM »
The night is dark, but the Sun of Righteousness is shining upon them. Their hearts leap for joy. They seem to be in a new world. Christ is a living Saviour. They no longer mourn over Him as dead. Christ is risen--over and over again they repeat it. This is the message they are carrying to the sorrowing ones. They must tell them the wonderful story of the walk to Emmaus. They must tell who joined them by the way. They carry the greatest message ever given to the world, a message of glad tidings upon which the hopes of the human family for time and for eternity depend.   

What a thrill to read this chapter again. Our hearts resonate in unison with a great joy in the knowledge of God's great love and sacrifice for each of us. I was touched this morning with the thought that He comes to each of us individually in such a personal way. He knows our rocky and sometimes dangerous journey but He is always by our side. We may not feel it. But we know it because He said it. When this knowledge moves from the head to the heart we will rejoice like the disciples and putting our own needs aside we will spread the great news to all who will listen. I too love this chapter.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2019, 05:55:50 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine! And we too have been given the greatest message ever given to the world and the universe. What a blessing!

Something impressed my mind this morning that we ought to better understand.

The simple evening meal of bread is soon prepared. It is placed before the guest, who has taken His seat at the head of the table. Now He puts forth His hands to bless the food. The disciples start back in astonishment. Their companion spreads forth His hands in exactly the same way as their Master used to do. They look again, and lo, they see in His hands the print of nails. Both exclaim at once, It is the Lord Jesus! He has risen from the dead!   

While we are not God, therefore none will view us as they viewed Christ. But, we will have an influence either for good or for evil. People notice more than we think. We are to be His witnesses. I am always amazed that they recognized Jesus not from what He said or how He looked, but by how He spread His hands. We are creatures of habit (character). People will notice what we say and what we do and how we speak and how we do things. Have you ever noticed how well written and printed are the Spirit of Prophecy Books? We too need to take special care on how we do what we do. We are witnesses in this world and the world above.