Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--80--In Joseph's Tomb  (Read 12768 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--80--In Joseph's Tomb
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 04:46:11 AM »
The devil and those confederate with him intend to thwart God's purposes and plans, but we have a very encouraging revelation of the truth that "all things work together for good to them that love God" (Romans 8:28) in the experience surrounding Christ's burial and the attempt to keep Him forever bound therein.

"So weak men counseled and planned. Little did these murderers realize the uselessness of their efforts. But by their action God was glorified. The very efforts made to prevent Christ's resurrection are the most convincing arguments in its proof. The greater the number of soldiers placed around the tomb, the stronger would be the testimony that He had risen. Hundreds of years before the death of Christ, the Holy Spirit had declared through the psalmist, 'Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against His anointed. . . . He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.' Psalm 2:1-4. Roman guards and Roman arms were powerless to confine the Lord of life within the tomb. The hour of His release was near." {The Desire of Ages, page 778, paragraph 2}

When the devil seeks to destroy one of our loved ones, like how my dad died when I was 12 and my mom died when I was 15, he means evil against us. While Satan intends to cause us to suffer and for God's purposes in our lives to come to naught, God works through the situation in a way that reveals His glory and grace. The very events that Satan wanted to use to cause me to turn from God actually, in time, brought me much closer to God. In fact, the intimacy and joy I have in Christ is so much richer and fuller now than before I lost my parents, as I have bean adopted by our Heavenly Father and through having experienced suffering have come to better appreciate what Christ experienced for me. What grace!

We need not live in a state of fear for the future. What if someone we love dies? What if evil men plot against us? We have an encouraging picture of God's overarching plan that cannot be stopped--God will reveal His love and His plans will go forward, though to all outward appearances some of the things that He allows seem to be the very opposite of that which would bring them to fruition. This is where faith comes in. The faith of Jesus is a faith made active in love. We see the incredible love that God has for us in giving us Jesus, and how the plots of wicked men inspired by Satan would have kept Him forever in the tomb. But no--Jesus rose, and conquered death and sin. His victory is ours, and His death (to sin and self) is the gift He gives us today. Nothing can hinder the upward progress of character building for those who continually put their trust in Him.

"Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him" (Job 13:15).

The faith experience revealed in Scripture reminds me of this testimony:
“Let good or ill befall,
It must be good for me,—
Secure of having Thee in all,
Of having all in Thee.”
―Henry Francis Lyte

Let us be always cheerful as we trust our loving Savior today!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »
"Many who at that time united in the service never again took part in the paschal rites. Many even of the priests were convicted of the true character of Jesus. Their searching of the prophecies had not been in vain, and after His resurrection they acknowledged Him as the Son of God."

When we search the scriptures with a hunger for truth, we will find it. God will not allow the devil to deceive us into believing error. But if we have our own pet theories and are searching for proof to support them we will find that too. But by doing that, the bible then becomes a book of contradictions. Although God has provided overwhelming evidence of who He is He has not removed all room for doubt.

This should be easy for us to understand. As we are witnessing Jesus' life on earth, in our readings each day, there were many unanswered questions that caused even those closest to Him, to wonder if  He was, who He said He was.

I have a feeling of gladness as I read about the priests who after searching the scriptures were convicted of Jesus' true character and acknowledged Him after the resurrection. How that must have brought such joy to Jesus' heart.

May we each be faithful Bereans and search for those treasures that are found in His word, believing and storing them in our hearts.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
Amen, dear Sister Dorine! We also rejoice contemplating the meeting between Paul and the man he murdered. Stephen revealed the character of Christ and it started in motion the conversion of Saul. Let us also manifest the same grace to those who are like Saul today. Notice that the words of Stephen angered the Jewish leaders. So, manifesting the grace of God does not mean we are silent about the sins that surround us.

As it was with the murder of Stephen, so it was with the murder of Christ, as Pastor Sean has shared. Many of the priests were converted as a result. And, this revelation of grace is what breaks our hearts. In the passage Pastor Sean has quoted there is an important spiritual truth that has been twisted in today's church. Who are the anointed of the Lord? The leader of the Jews? The priests who put to death the Son of God?

"Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against His anointed. . . . He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision." Psalm 2:1-4. Roman guards and Roman arms were powerless to confine the Lord of life within the tomb. The hour of His release was near. 

It is true that King Saul was anointed. But, not so with all who have been ordained to the ministry, or who were chosen as priests. Not all rebels are the "anointed" of God. Who were the "rulers" that took "counsel together against the Lord, and against His anointed"? The high priest and others who were priests were the ones who took counsel against the true "anointed" of the Lord.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 05:52:24 AM »
God desires us to be happy. He created humanity to be happy in Him; but the priests and rulers who ought have recognized in Jesus the Son of God did not yield to the wonderful loveliness of His character. And so when Jesus was in the tomb of Joseph, they still did not have peace. Sin brings its wages--fear, guilt, and death. Let us rather choose surrender to Christ, and accept life, joy, and peace, for happiness is the result of holiness!

"The revenge which the priests had thought would be so sweet was already bitterness to them. They knew that they were meeting the severe censure of the people; they knew that the very ones whom they had influenced against Jesus were now horrified by their own shameful work. These priests had tried to believe Jesus a deceiver; but it was in vain. Some of them had stood by the grave of Lazarus, and had seen the dead brought back to life. They trembled for fear that Christ would Himself rise from the dead, and again appear before them. They had heard Him declare that He had power to lay down His life and to take it again. They remembered that He had said, 'Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.' John 2:19. Judas had told them the words spoken by Jesus to the disciples while on the last journey to Jerusalem: 'Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn Him to death, and shall deliver Him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify Him: and the third day He shall rise again.' Matthew 20:18, 19. When they heard these words, they had mocked and ridiculed. But now they remembered that Christ's predictions had so far been fulfilled. He had said that He would rise again the third day, and who could say that this also would not come to pass? They longed to shut out these thoughts, but they could not. Like their father, the devil, they believed and trembled." {The Desire of Ages, page 777, paragraph 1}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
It is interesting that the rebels remembered Christs words, but the disciples did not.

Many of the Jews were contemplating the meaning of the events on that glorious day when our Savior finished His work He had come to do. All heaven celebrated, but on the Earth, many were busy studying their scrolls to understand what had happened. The curtain separating the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place had been ripped from top to bottom so that the sacred room was visible to all.

Many minds were busy with thoughts started by the scenes of Calvary. From the crucifixion to the resurrection many sleepless eyes were constantly searching the prophecies, some to learn the full meaning of the feast they were then celebrating, some to find evidence that Jesus was not what He claimed to be; and others with sorrowful hearts were searching for proofs that He was the true Messiah. Though searching with different objects in view, all were convicted of the same truth,--that prophecy had been fulfilled in the events of the past few days, and that the Crucified One was the world's Redeemer. Many who at that time united in the service never again took part in the paschal rites. Many even of the priests were convicted of the true character of Jesus. Their searching of the prophecies had not been in vain, and after His resurrection they acknowledged Him as the Son of God.   

We can be encouraged by the fact that many of the priests not only came to the right conclusion as to who Jesus was, but they accepted Him as their Savior. So also we will see some Saul's converted in our day. Not all pastors are in rebellion, and some who are will be converted. Let us rejoice as we contemplate the sacrifice made by our heavenly Father and our Savior. Let us also rejoice that the second coming is so very soon!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »
I love Jesus, for He heals broken hearts and restores lives that are ruined and defiled by sin. Jesus stepped into my life in such a powerful way, for He knew how broken my heart was after losing my dad and mom, and the mental and emotional anguish I experienced in becoming bipolar. But Jesus saw what He could do with me--and you--by healing the broken heart. He has healed me from bipolar and restored me from the grief and anguish of losing my closest loved ones. Jesus is truly all the world to me, because He has stepped into my life by His grace, and I yield to Him fully! I love this reflection from Psalm 147:2-4: "The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names." Why is this so powerful? We have been outcasts from God's heavenly family because of sin, but Jesus, the same One who knows each star intimately, knows the heart wounds that are crushing you. Are you wounded and broken? Come to Jesus. How does He heal us? Let us see:

"But it was not the spear thrust, it was not the pain of the cross, that caused the death of Jesus. That cry, uttered "with a loud voice" (Matthew 27:50; Luke 23:46), at the moment of death, the stream of blood and water that flowed from His side, declared that He died of a broken heart. His heart was broken by mental anguish. He was slain by the sin of the world." {The Desire of Ages, page 772, paragraph 2}

The broken heart of Jesus, beheld upon Calvary, is the very basis of our healing from the heart wounds sin has caused. As we see One who fully knows our guilt and grief, and yet who uttered only a prayer for our forgiveness from His cross, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34), we see that the God who formed us in our mother's womb came not to condemn, but to save. He bore our guilt and paid the price of divine justice, offering us infinite mercy! We may have had those close to us betray or accuse us as they learned more of our brokenness and sin, but Jesus is not like that. He wants to hear your whole story--as you confess and express it to Him--and in that very act of coming to Him, the healing journey has begun. When you really know that you have a Savior who understands you and "gets you" on the deepest heart level of what you are feeling and experiencing, the power of grace begins its mysterious work in your heart, and by beholding the infinite loveliness of Jesus, you are being changed. Through surrendering your whole broken heart to Him, He offers you a new heart. The new heart from Jesus comes full with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, and the desire and power to perform all of His law of love you know. Truly the healing comes as we see His sufferings: "Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed" (Isaiah 53:4-5).

What a Savior! What has Jesus done for you? Please share your testimony!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 03:34:19 AM »
The biggest trials in your life--the most difficult situations where it seemed like the devil was able to destroy you, your family, your health, or any other calamity--do you realize that these are some of the strongest evidences that God is for us when we are fully surrendered to Christ? Christ came to do the Father's will, and all that could be done to prevent Him from rising from the dead could not keep Him dead. So no matter how much the enemy tries to destroy you, the very fact that God brought you through all of that with a living testimony for Him is even stronger proof for the power of God's grace to save your soul! I am so thankful that God allowed me to suffer the loss of my parents, to go through the experience of bipolar (and the healing from it), and to know that no matter what the devil has planned against me, God will do another amazing miracle and overrule it for purposes of goodness and mercy, just as He did in the life of Job. Look at all that was intended against Jesus, and know that our Heavenly Father has given us unmistakable proof that we have nothing to fear as we keep our hearts and minds fully surrendered to Him, so He can bring forth His life through us--a life that exudes the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in joyful obedience to His commandments!

"So weak men counseled and planned. Little did these murderers realize the uselessness of their efforts. But by their action God was glorified. The very efforts made to prevent Christ's resurrection are the most convincing arguments in its proof. The greater the number of soldiers placed around the tomb, the stronger would be the testimony that He had risen. Hundreds of years before the death of Christ, the Holy Spirit had declared through the psalmist, 'Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against His anointed. . . . He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.' Psalm 2:1-4. Roman guards and Roman arms were powerless to confine the Lord of life within the tomb. The hour of His release was near." {The Desire of Ages, page 778, paragraph 2}

Dorine

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 05:11:41 AM »
"When the people learned that Jesus had been put to death by the priests, inquiries were made regarding His death. The particulars of His trial were kept as private as possible; but during the time when He was in the grave, His name was on thousands of lips, and reports of His mock trial, and of the inhumanity of the priests and rulers, were circulated everywhere. By men of intellect these priests and rulers were called upon to explain the prophecies of the Old Testament concerning the Messiah, and while trying to frame some falsehood in reply, they became like men insane. The prophecies that pointed to Christ's sufferings and death they could not explain, and many inquirers were convinced that the Scriptures had been fulfilled." 

Out of the most evil and horrific circumstances can come much good. Mary Magdalene, Nicodemus,  the Roman Centurion, many priests and rulers along with many who yelled crucify Him came to see the truth and accepted Jesus as their personal Saviour.

Thank you Pastor Sean for your testimony of how God set you free from the chains of sin. He will do the same for each one of us if we believe and surrender our wills to Him.

How I love the story of Mary. How many people have gotten themselves into trouble because all they wanted was to be loved. When Jesus found Mary she found true love. Love that never changes. She found rest in Jesus.

How fitting that this  chapter falls on the Sabbath day. As Jesus rested in the tomb from all His suffering we too will find rest in Him as we give ourselves to Him in full surrender.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
Amen, dear Sister Dorine. Today, is a day of rest from the world. A time to consider the blessings God has given to us even amid strong temptations and trials. All of these things work together for our good! How can we better understand this promise and realize it applies to me? The answer is found in today's reading. When the Words of Jesus were made plain to Nicodemus, he understood that by the revelation of grace his heart would  be fully given to Jesus.

Nicodemus, when he saw Jesus lifted up on the cross, remembered His words spoken by night in the Mount of Olives: "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. On that Sabbath, when Christ lay in the grave, Nicodemus had opportunity for reflection. A clearer light now illuminated his mind, and the words which Jesus had spoken to him were no longer mysterious. He felt that he had lost much by not connecting himself with the Saviour during His life. Now he recalled the events of Calvary. The prayer of Christ for His murderers and His answer to the petition of the dying thief spoke to the heart of the learned councilor. Again he looked upon the Saviour in His agony; again he heard that last cry, "It is finished," spoken like the words of a conqueror. Again he beheld the reeling earth, the darkened heavens, the rent veil, the shivered rocks, and his faith was forever established. The very event that destroyed the hopes of the disciples convinced Joseph and Nicodemus of the divinity of Jesus. Their fears were overcome by the courage of a firm and unwavering faith. 

It would indeed be good to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life, suffering, and death of our Savior. By beholding such unmerited love, we shall be brought to repentance and transformed in character. And, God has given a full day to spend with our Savior that we might know of this grace.

Beacon

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »
At last Jesus was at rest. The long day of shame and torture was ended. As the last rays of the setting sun ushered in the Sabbath, the Son of God lay in quietude in Joseph's tomb. His work completed, His hands folded in peace, He rested through the sacred hours of the Sabbath day. Now Jesus rested from the work of redemption; and though there was grief among those who loved Him on earth, yet there was joy in heaven. Glorious to the eyes of heavenly beings was the promise of the future. A restored creation, a redeemed race, that having conquered sin could never fall,--this, the result to flow from Christ's completed work[/color].

Perhaps if we would spend a thoughtful hour contemplating the final scenes of Jesus' life on earth we would think twice about doing the things which caused Him to have to come to this earth and go through all this hell so that we could be forgiven. We would be demonstrating our thankfulness to our costly redemption. 

In the closing events of the crucifixion day, fresh evidence was given of the fulfillment of prophecy, and new witness borne to Christ's divinity. When the darkness had lifted from the cross, and the Saviour's dying cry had been uttered, immediately another voice was heard, saying, "Truly this was the Son of God." Matthew 27:54. These words were said in no whispered tones. All eyes were turned to see whence they came. Who had spoken? It was the centurion, the Roman soldier. The divine patience of the Saviour, and His sudden death, with the cry of victory upon His lips, had impressed this heathen. In the bruised, broken body hanging upon the cross, the centurion recognized the form of the Son of God. He could not refrain from confessing his faith. Thus again evidence was given that our Redeemer was to see of the travail of His soul. Upon the very day of His death, three men, differing widely from one another, had declared their faith,--he who commanded the Roman guard, he who bore the cross of the Saviour, and he who died upon the cross at His side. [/b]

My brothers and sisters in Christ...Let us lift our hearts in praise to Jesus. LET US LIVE FOR HIM WHO DIED FOR US!! That He may see the travail of His soul and be satisfied.  Of the ten lepers who were healed only 1 came back to say THANK YOU.  By His grace and great yearning to save us Let us not be like the 9!
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 05:33:15 AM »
Amen, brother Beacon!! Jesus loves us with a love that is infinite, and was willing to die that we might have life. As we "look and live" we find in Him what our souls need--true rest from sin and self, and a reason for existence! In Christ we see the words of prophecy fulfilled, and the faith of Jesus is available to all who will, by beholding His loveliness, be changed in character!

I praise God for the effect that the cross had upon Nicodemus. When Jesus died, things really got clear for him--and the calm, questioning course he before manifested was changed to one strength and steadfastness because he came to the point of conversion--of FULL SURRENDER to Christ. Though he felt he lost much by not openly confessing Christ earlier, Jesus takes us each as we are, and will work all things together for good to them that love Him--the key is that needed full surrender, so that Christ can cleanse our hearts and minds from sin and imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! I love to behold Jesus and to share what His grace has done for me!!

"Nicodemus, when he saw Jesus lifted up on the cross, remembered His words spoken by night in the Mount of Olives: "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. On that Sabbath, when Christ lay in the grave, Nicodemus had opportunity for reflection. A clearer light now illuminated his mind, and the words which Jesus had spoken to him were no longer mysterious. He felt that he had lost much by not connecting himself with the Saviour during His life. Now he recalled the events of Calvary. The prayer of Christ for His murderers and His answer to the petition of the dying thief spoke to the heart of the learned councilor. Again he looked upon the Saviour in His agony; again he heard that last cry, "It is finished," spoken like the words of a conqueror. Again he beheld the reeling earth, the darkened heavens, the rent veil, the shivered rocks, and his faith was forever established. The very event that destroyed the hopes of the disciples convinced Joseph and Nicodemus of the divinity of Jesus. Their fears were overcome by the courage of a firm and unwavering faith. {The Desire of Ages, page 775, paragraph 2}

Beacon

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 08:27:47 PM »
"In the closing events of the crucifixion day, fresh evidence was given of the fulfillment of prophecy, and new witness borne to Christ's divinity. When the darkness had lifted from the cross, and the Saviour's dying cry had been uttered, immediately another voice was heard, saying, "Truly this was the Son of God." Matthew 27:54.   These words were said in no whispered tones. All eyes were turned to see whence they came. Who had spoken? It was the centurion, the Roman soldier. "

In Luke chapter 19 we find these words....."37 And when he was come nigh,( Jerusalem ) even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen; 38 Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest. 39 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples. 40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."

We should NEVER feel alone. God's power knows no limit or boundary. We may be separated from all earthly ties but our God knows where we are and what we need and He Is Able to provide and renew our courage in the darkest moments when Satan tries to tell us we might as well give up, there is no hope for us!!

"The divine patience of the Saviour, and His sudden death, with the cry of victory upon His lips, had impressed this heathen. In the bruised, broken body hanging upon the cross, the centurion recognized the form of the Son of God. He could not  refrain from confessing his faith. Thus again evidence was given that our Redeemer was to see of the travail of His soul. Upon the very day of His death, three men, differing widely from one another, had declared their faith,--he who commanded the Roman guard, he who bore the cross of the Saviour, and he who died upon the cross at His side. "

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 08:33:38 AM »
"But it was not the spear thrust, it was not the pain of the cross, that caused the death of Jesus. That cry, uttered "with a loud voice" (Matthew 27:50; Luke 23:46), at the moment of death, the stream of blood and water that flowed from His side, declared that He died of a broken heart. His heart was broken by mental anguish. He was slain by the sin of the world." 

This should break our hearts. It is yours and my sin that caused His death. He died of a broken heart. This goes much deeper than simply dying the death that we deserve as important as that is. The more we read the more the Holy Spirit reveals; drawing us into a deeper relationship with Jesus. Just as He became more precious to the disciples after His death He should become more precious to us each time we open these pages and read of His love and sacrifice for each one of us. And He would have done it for just one. Thank you Jesus.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

As we think of the infinite sacrifice Jesus made for us, we can rejoice in knowing that His death was for us, His sacrifice was for us, and that we in Him may rest from our sins (as truly as Jesus rested in the grave over the Sabbath) and we also have the joy of walking in newness of life, which the Sabbath is a symbol of the gospel rest experience we may have through abiding in Christ! While we remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy in harmony with God's commandments out of love for Christ (John 14:15), we realize the deeper significance of how only in Christ can we ever rest from the clamor of our fallen nature and be made continual partakers of the divine nature--a nature that is ever manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"In the beginning the Father and the Son had rested upon the Sabbath after Their work of creation. When 'the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them' (Genesis 2:1), the Creator and all heavenly beings rejoiced in contemplation of the glorious scene. 'The morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy'" Job 38:7. Now Jesus rested from the work of redemption; and though there was grief among those who loved Him on earth, yet there was joy in heaven. Glorious to the eyes of heavenly beings was the promise of the future. A restored creation, a redeemed race, that having conquered sin could never fall,--this, the result to flow from Christ's completed work, God and angels saw. With this scene the day upon which Jesus rested is forever linked. For 'His work is perfect;' and 'whatsoever God doeth, it shall be forever.' Deuteronomy 32:4; Ecclesiastes 3:14. When there shall be a 'restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began' (Acts 3:21), the creation Sabbath, the day on which Jesus lay at rest in Joseph's tomb, will still be a day of rest and rejoicing. Heaven and earth will unite in praise, as 'from one Sabbath to another' (Isaiah 66:23) the nations of the saved shall bow in joyful worship to God and the Lamb." {The Desire of Ages, page 769, paragraph 2}

What a thought that while Jesus lay in the tomb on the Sabbath, and the disciples were sorrowing, that heaven was rejoicing! I love to think of how even in our most difficult trials we can look up by faith to the heavenly universe that loves to see us walking by faith, trusting God! And when even one more soul comes to Christ, the angels rejoice!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 09:04:37 PM »
"But it was not the spear thrust, it was not the pain of the cross, that caused the death of Jesus. That cry, uttered "with a loud voice" (Matthew 27:50; Luke 23:46), at the moment of death, the stream of blood and water that flowed from His side, declared that He died of a broken heart. His heart was broken by mental anguish. He was slain by the sin of the world." 

This should break our hearts. It is yours and my sin that caused His death. He died of a broken heart. This goes much deeper than simply dying the death that we deserve as important as that is. The more we read the more the Holy Spirit reveals; drawing us into a deeper relationship with Jesus. Just as He became more precious to the disciples after His death He should become more precious to us each time we open these pages and read of His love and sacrifice for each one of us. And He would have done it for just one. Thank you Jesus.

Amen, Sister Dorine! This always touches my heart. He surely loves us much more than we realize. It is understanding this love and being reminded of it daily that is the power to cause us to love Him and render to Him obedience. It is not the promise of heaven that transforms our character, but His grace.

Beacon

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »
"A guard of one hundred soldiers was then stationed around the sepulcher to prevent it from being tampered with. The priests did all they could to keep Christ's body where it had been laid. He was sealed as securely in His tomb as if He were to remain there through all time. So weak men counseled and planned. Little did these murderers realize the uselessness of their efforts. But by their action God was glorified."

"The very efforts made to prevent Christ's resurrection are the most convincing arguments in its proof. The greater the number of soldiers placed around the tomb, the stronger would be the testimony that He had risen. Hundreds of years before the death of Christ, the Holy Spirit had declared through the psalmist, "Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against His anointed. . . . He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision." Psalm 2:1-4. Roman guards and Roman arms were powerless to confine the Lord of life within the tomb. The hour of His release was near." 

Ps. 23 says....
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

When our lives are totally surrendered to Jesus-- How wonderfully restful and peaceful it is to know that regardless of what is happening to us or around by evil forces we do not and should not be fearful. I'm reminded of Peter who was sound asleep in the prison and guarded by 16 Roman Soldiers but by God's power he walked out a free man. The Roman soldiers at Christ's tomb were powerless to hold Jesus from escaping. " God be for us...who can be against us. But we must also remember that being fully surrendered to God does not mean that we won't face hard times. As one person put it..." God does not guarantee a smooth flight through our earthly journey but... if we maintain a faithful relationship with Him ...He does guarantee a safe landing of the Heavenly Shore."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 11:00:59 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon! We can bear witness of the power of Christ to save us, and we have nothing to fear for the future except as we forget how He has led us! The safe landing in heaven in assured to all who continue in a fully surrendered, abiding relationship with Christ moment-by-moment.

What a blessing that three unique witnesses testified of Christ at the time of His death.

"These words were said in no whispered tones. All eyes were turned to see whence they came. Who had spoken? It was the centurion, the Roman soldier. The divine patience of the Saviour, and His sudden death, with the cry of victory upon His lips, had impressed this heathen. In the bruised, broken body hanging upon the cross, the centurion recognized the form of the Son of God. He could not refrain from confessing his faith. Thus again evidence was given that our Redeemer was to see of the travail of His soul. Upon the very day of His death, three men, differing widely from one another, had declared their faith,--he who commanded the Roman guard, he who bore the cross of the Saviour, and he who died upon the cross at His side." {The Desire of Ages, page 770, paragraph 2}

One of the most amazing things about the gospel is how it convicts, transforms, and renews people from ANY background who come to Christ just as they are so they can become made like Christ in mind and character. I am so thankful for how Jesus has revealed Himself to us so we can be changed by His grace!   

Dorine

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
"As evening drew on, an unearthly stillness hung over Calvary. The crowd dispersed, and many returned to Jerusalem greatly changed in spirit from what they had been in the morning. Many had flocked to the crucifixion from curiosity, and not from hatred toward Christ. Still they believed the accusations of the priests, and looked upon Christ as a malefactor. Under an unnatural excitement they had united with the mob in railing against Him. But when the earth was wrapped in blackness, and they stood accused by their own consciences, they felt guilty of a great wrong. No jest or mocking laughter was heard in the midst of that fearful gloom; and when it was lifted, they made their way to their homes in solemn silence. They were convinced that the charges of the priests were false, that Jesus was no pretender; and a few weeks later, when Peter preached upon the day of Pentecost, they were among the thousands who became converts to Christ."

Sometimes it takes horrendous experiences to turn a person around. There is a day coming when God's people will suffer persecution of all kinds. Most will believe the false reports that circulate about them but some will be convicted by the Holy Spirit and hearts will be drawn to the truth and will unite with the remnant who are teaching the truth. The stories of the past give me courage for the future because I see God leading and guiding through each and every circumstance.  He will fulfill His promise to never leave us or forsake us.

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 06:15:40 AM »
The revenge which the priests had thought would be so sweet was already bitterness to them. They knew that they were meeting the severe censure of the people; they knew that the very ones whom they had influenced against Jesus were now horrified by their own shameful work. These priests had tried to believe Jesus a deceiver; but it was in vain. Some of them had stood by the grave of Lazarus, and had seen the dead brought back to life. They trembled for fear that Christ would Himself rise from the dead, and again appear before them.

Where there is love there is no fear. Fear comes from a heart of pride that persists in having it's own way even when they are shown their error.  I praise God for His long suffering and mercy because there will be those in this condition that will respond to His faithfulness to them and will repent and be saved. We have the privilege of sharing in this work of revealing Christ's love to all.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine! 

"The priests gave directions for securing the sepulcher. A great stone had been placed before the opening. Across this stone they placed cords, securing the ends to the solid rock, and sealing them with the Roman seal. The stone could not be moved without breaking the seal. A guard of one hundred soldiers was then stationed around the sepulcher to prevent it from being tampered with. The priests did all they could to keep Christ's body where it had been laid. He was sealed as securely in His tomb as if He were to remain there through all time." {The Desire of Ages, page 778, paragraph 1}

We can be so thankful that the tomb did not remain sealed forever. Jesus would come forth offering us life and life more abundantly. Let us remember that all that the enemy of our souls intends against us God will overrule for purposes of His mercy and goodness!