Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--78--Calvary  (Read 20697 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--78--Calvary
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2020, 05:14:31 AM »
Thank you Lena for sharing this poem. It looks like it may be a song. I've never read this words before but Oh how true they are.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Lena

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2020, 08:38:16 PM »
It is the song "Calvary" from the movie "His Last Days". 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »
Amen! Thanks for sharing Sister Lena. Indeed it was my cross He was bearing to Calvary! May we never forget it, for it is by remembering this grace we are continually transformed and saved.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
"For long hours of agony, reviling and mockery have fallen upon the ears of Jesus. As He hangs upon the cross, there floats up to Him still the sound of jeers and curses.

With longing heart He has listened for some expression of faith from His disciples.

He has heard only the mournful words, "We trusted that it had been He which should have redeemed Israel."

How grateful then to the Saviour was the utterance of faith and love from the dying thief!

While the leading Jews deny Him, and even the disciples doubt His divinity, the poor thief, upon the brink of eternity, calls Jesus Lord. Many were ready to call Him Lord when He wrought miracles, and after He had risen from the grave; but none acknowledged Him as He hung dying upon the cross save the penitent thief who was saved at the eleventh hour. "

There will never be a stronger demonstration of God's Love than the one given at Calvary. My prayer today is that my life may reflect with total surrender & gratitude a willingness to Trust & Obey my Lord and Saviour and be found working in His vineyard to help others find and accept His offer of Grace, Forgiveness and to walk on the pathway way to Heaven and the New Earth. Will You join me?
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2020, 09:25:30 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!!  And thus the counsel that it would be good to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes where His character of grace is most clearly seen.

The spotless Son of God hung upon the cross, His flesh lacerated with stripes; those hands so often reached out in blessing, nailed to the wooden bars; those feet so tireless on ministries of love, spiked to the tree; that royal head pierced by the crown of thorns; those quivering lips shaped to the cry of woe. And all that He endured--the blood drops that flowed from His head, His hands, His feet, the agony that racked His frame, and the unutterable anguish that filled His soul at the hiding of His Father's face--speaks to each child of humanity, declaring, It is for thee that the Son of God consents to bear this burden of guilt; for thee He spoils the domain of death, and opens the gates of Paradise. He who stilled the angry waves and walked the foam-capped billows, who made devils tremble and disease flee, who opened blind eyes and called forth the dead to life,--offers Himself upon the cross as a sacrifice, and this from love to thee. He, the Sin Bearer, endures the wrath of divine justice, and for thy sake becomes sin itself.

Such love, such a message to take the world as the end nears!!  And, in support of the message given to Nicodemus in the garden, "As Moses lifted up serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up," we see here that our "Sin Bearer" was made "sin itself." Thus, the serpent being lifted up was a symbol of sin. It was "Sin Itself" that was lifted up on the cross. Many miss this point and thus do not understand why the bronze serpent was chosen to be lifted up. It was a representation of Jesus hanging on the cross. And if Nicodemus were to look upon Christ lifted up on the cross, he would be converted, born again of the Spirit. Do we not understand that it applies to all sinners who will spend that thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, especially the scene of Him lifted up on the cross? For it is by beholding His grace that sinners are transformed into saints. We must "look and live."
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

The good news is really a cross--a paradox--in that the closer you come to Christ the more sinful and weak you will know yourself to really be, thus moving your heart to completely surrender and trust Christ who bore your sin, relying upon His power to save you to the uttermost by giving you a new mind and heart! Let us remember that whatever sinfulness we see in our sinful flesh, Jesus bore the agony of becoming that sin for us, so as to deliver us from sin slavery! The deliverance from sin slavery will always bear fruit, for on a moment-by-moment basis we may abide in Jesus by the divine nature accessible to us in His promises, and thus live a life that will overflow with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"The spotless Son of God hung upon the cross, His flesh lacerated with stripes; those hands so often reached out in blessing, nailed to the wooden bars; those feet so tireless on ministries of love, spiked to the tree; that royal head pierced by the crown of thorns; those quivering lips shaped to the cry of woe. And all that He endured--the blood drops that flowed from His head, His hands, His feet, the agony that racked His frame, and the unutterable anguish that filled His soul at the hiding of His Father's face--speaks to each child of humanity, declaring, It is for thee that the Son of God consents to bear this burden of guilt; for thee He spoils the domain of death, and opens the gates of Paradise. He who stilled the angry waves and walked the foam-capped billows, who made devils tremble and disease flee, who opened blind eyes and called forth the dead to life,--offers Himself upon the cross as a sacrifice, and this from love to thee. He, the Sin Bearer, endures the wrath of divine justice, and for thy sake becomes sin itself." {The Desire of Ages, page 755, paragraph 1} 

Since Christ became sin itself, we can realize that sin becomes hateful to us as we behold His loveliness and realize we do not want to keep bringing pain to the heart of infinite love!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2021, 09:43:34 PM »
"The Saviour made no murmur of complaint. His face remained calm and serene, but great drops of sweat stood upon His brow. There was no pitying hand to wipe the death dew from His face, nor words of sympathy and unchanging fidelity to stay His human heart..

While the soldiers were doing their fearful work, Jesus prayed for His enemies, 'Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.' His mind passed from His own suffering to the sin of His persecutors, and the terrible retribution that would be theirs. No curses were called down upon the soldiers who were handling Him so roughly. No vengeance was invoked upon the priests and rulers, who were gloating over the accomplishment of their purpose. Christ pitied them in their ignorance and guilt.

He breathed only a plea for their forgiveness,--'for they know not what they do.'"

My heart is challenged as I read these words. I asked myself... do I feel the same way toward others when being treated unfairly in a rude-cutting- manner? Would I be praying " Father - forgive them for they know not what they do.? If we are not practicing the same loving approach as Jesus now, will we be ready to pray for those who may persecute us in the upcoming great time of persecution just before His second coming? 

Dorine

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2021, 06:57:57 AM »
"At the ninth hour the darkness lifted from the people, but still enveloped the Saviour. It was a symbol of the agony and horror that weighed upon His heart. No eye could pierce the gloom that surrounded the cross, and none could penetrate the deeper gloom that enshrouded the suffering soul of Christ. The angry lightnings seemed to be hurled at Him as He hung upon the cross. Then "Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" As the outer gloom settled about the Saviour, many voices exclaimed: The vengeance of heaven is upon Him. The bolts of God's wrath are hurled at Him, because He claimed to be the Son of God. Many who believed on Him heard His despairing cry. Hope left them. If God had forsaken Jesus, in what could His followers trust?"   

As I pondered the question I couldn't help but be reminded of the counsel we are given concerning the condition of the church at the end. It will appear as if it's about to fall but it doesn't. Just as Jesus suffered for the sins of the world his elect will suffer the results of following Jesus. He is hated now as much as when He was on earth. Only as we spend time with Him in bible study and prayer, continually abiding in Him will we have the faith to look beyond the present to the glorious day that awaits us.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2021, 09:20:42 AM »
The greatest pain felt and known to a depth that is beyond human comprehension by Jesus Christ at Calvary was on account of His separation from God because of sin. Here He experienced the separation that sin makes between the soul and God, and as His Father's countenance was withdrawn from Him, Jesus' heart was pierced so deeply that the physical anguish He was enduring was barely felt. Oh, let us contemplate more of the cost of our salvation and appreciate the loveliness of Jesus, for by beholding Him we become changed, have the true motivation to surrender the entire heart and mind to Him so He can renew us and imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing, and make us willing to be willing in any and every area of life and character as we approach the final moments of earth's history. Christ's sacrifice is the great impetus for us to go forth and give the last message of mercy to a world soon to perish. Sin leads to death, and Christ's death is a pledge that all who will come to Him and be saved may lay aside the habits and mindset of death to receive the very mind of Christ--which is life and peace!

"Upon Christ as our substitute and surety was laid the iniquity of us all. He was counted a transgressor, that He might redeem us from the condemnation of the law. The guilt of every descendant of Adam was pressing upon His heart. The wrath of God against sin, the terrible manifestation of His displeasure because of iniquity, filled the soul of His Son with consternation. All His life Christ had been publishing to a fallen world the good news of the Father's mercy and pardoning love. Salvation for the chief of sinners was His theme. But now with the terrible weight of guilt He bears, He cannot see the Father's reconciling face. The withdrawal of the divine countenance from the Saviour in this hour of supreme anguish pierced His heart with a sorrow that can never be fully understood by man. So great was this agony that His physical pain was hardly felt." {The Desire of Ages, page 753, paragraph 1}

The value of each soul can only be estimated by realizing the experience of Christ at Calvary. And as exceedingly great as was the pain of Christ in His soul, so much greater was the anguish the Father endured in seeing His Son bear the crushing weight of the sin of the world. Oh, let us appreciate how even now the Holy Spirit is laboring to bring us to an intelligent appreciation of the sacrifice made by the Godhead in saving all who will come and be saved! Look and live! Jesus is able to save the uttermost all who come unto Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2021, 05:37:27 PM »
  Satan with his fierce temptations wrung the heart of Jesus. The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father's acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. It was the sense of sin, bringing the Father's wrath upon Him as man's substitute, that made the cup He drank so bitter, and broke the heart of the Son of God.

As I read this evening it stuck me Jesus suffered for all sins past present and future. But he also suffered and loved those who reject Him to the point that judgement is closed. He knows their suffering and pain when they realize at His 2nd Advent what has happened. What love our Savior has for us. We cannot fathom the height and depth of his love and grace, all we can do is open our hearts and arms and accept it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2021, 09:51:52 PM »
What a God that loves us. How did Jesus suffer under the sins of the world?

Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe. In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him. He was acquainted with the character of His Father; He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love. By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey. And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn. By faith, Christ was victor.

And so it is with us. How is it that we are able to survive the evil in this world? By remembering the love and justice of our God. Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth!!

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2021, 12:33:44 AM »
"For long hours of agony, reviling and mockery have fallen upon the ears of Jesus. As He hangs upon the cross, there floats up to Him still the sound of jeers and curses..

..With longing heart He has listened for some expression of faith from His disciples...

..He has heard only the mournful words, "We trusted that it had been He which should have redeemed Israel.."

How grateful then to the Saviour was the utterance of faith and love from the dying thief!

"While the leading Jews deny Him, and even the disciples doubt His divinity, the poor thief, upon the brink of eternity, calls Jesus Lord. Many were ready to call Him Lord when He wrought miracles, and after He had risen from the grave...

.. but none acknowledged Him as He hung dying upon the cross save the penitent thief who was saved at the eleventh hour."

There will never be a stronger demonstration of God's Love than the one given at Calvary. My prayer today is that my life may reflect with total surrender & gratitude a willingness to Trust & Obey my Lord and Saviour and be found working in His vineyard to help others find and accept His offer of Grace and Forgiveness, to walk on the pathway way to Heaven and the New Earth. Will You join me?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2021, 04:42:46 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

The miracle of divine grace is so evident in the heart work that took place in the experience of the life of the penitent thief. What grace and hope come to us in Jesus, that no matter how far we have fallen, if we will take one earnest look to Calvary and see the true character of God manifest there, we may surrender our sin-polluted lives and be cleansed by the efficacy of His blood, receive a new heart and mind by the power of the Holy Spirit, and be remembered for eternity by having eternal life by grace through faith! Even though the repentant thief only had a few more hours to live after surrendering fully to Christ, and even though he was suffering on his cross, he could have all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing because he became a converted man!

"To Jesus in His agony on the cross there came one gleam of comfort. It was the prayer of the penitent thief. Both the men who were crucified with Jesus had at first railed upon Him; and one under his suffering only became more desperate and defiant. But not so with his companion. This man was not a hardened criminal; he had been led astray by evil associations, but he was less guilty than many of those who stood beside the cross reviling the Saviour. He had seen and heard Jesus, and had been convicted by His teaching, but he had been turned away from Him by the priests and rulers. Seeking to stifle conviction, he had plunged deeper and deeper into sin, until he was arrested, tried as a criminal, and condemned to die on the cross. In the judgment hall and on the way to Calvary he had been in company with Jesus. He had heard Pilate declare, 'I find no fault in Him.' John 19:4. He had marked His godlike bearing, and His pitying forgiveness of His tormentors. On the cross he sees the many great religionists shoot out the tongue with scorn, and ridicule the Lord Jesus. He sees the wagging heads. He hears the upbraiding speeches taken up by his companion in guilt: 'If Thou be Christ, save Thyself and us.' Among the passers-by he hears many defending Jesus. He hears them repeat His words, and tell of His works. The conviction comes back to him that this is the Christ. Turning to his fellow criminal he says, 'Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?' The dying thieves have no longer anything to fear from man. But upon one of them presses the conviction that there is a God to fear, a future to cause him to tremble. And now, all sin-polluted as it is, his life history is about to close. 'And we indeed justly,' he moans; 'for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this Man hath done nothing amiss.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 749, paragraph 3} 

As all the pieces come together for the thief on the cross, his earnest, sincere prayer is so fitting! "And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when Thou comest into Thy kingdom" (Luke 23:42). Jesus responds and gives the assurance of eternal life that very day. As we surrender fully to Christ, we, too, may be remembered in God's kingdom and let our lives be a witness of the power of grace to transform sinners into saints!

Philip T

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2021, 05:28:58 AM »
  At this time a stranger, Simon a Cyrenian, coming in from the country, meets the throng. He hears the taunts and ribaldry of the crowd; he hears the words contemptuously repeated, Make way for the King of the Jews! He stops in astonishment at the scene; and as he expresses his compassion, they seize him and place the cross upon his shoulders.
     Simon had heard of Jesus. His sons were believers in the Saviour, but he himself was not a disciple. The bearing of the cross to Calvary was a blessing to Simon, and he was ever after grateful for this providence. It led him to take upon himself the cross of Christ from choice, and ever cheerfully stand beneath its burden.

There is so much in this chapter, Simon who  had heard of Jesus, but not given his heart to Jesus, had pity for Him, and was taken from the crowd and bore the cross for Jesus as he was taken to his crucifixion  Gave his heart to him during this bearing of the cross and considered it a blessing to have carried the cross for Jesus a cheerful burden, do we cheerfully bear our burdens for Christ?  It is all to easy to complain about our plight, rather than consider it a burden to suffer for Christ.

Dorine

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2021, 07:10:59 AM »
Amen brother Philip. You ask sobering questions for us to ponder. When we murmur and complain we are showing distrust in God's love and care for us.

The thought that stood out to me this morning was the complete trust Jesus had in His Father who He knew so well. Even though there was no apparent evidence that His Father was with Him, I love how it says, "And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn. By faith, Christ was victor."

It spoke strongly to me because I'm realizing more and more just how essential 'faith' is in our relationship with Jesus.

Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe. In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him. He was acquainted with the character of His Father; He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love. By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey. And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn. By faith, Christ was victor.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2021, 09:54:02 PM »
Amen dear friends! What a God we serve!!  All heaven rejoiced when Christ cried out "it is finished!"  Do we also rejoice when we understand what Christ accomplished? Do we understand that He willingly suffered on account of our sins? And, He is soon to cry out again, it is finished when He steps out of the Most Holy Place in heaven. He then will have a people who have ceased to sin. We are those people who He is leading to this point in time.

When the loud cry, "It is finished," came from the lips of Christ, the priests were officiating in the temple. It was the hour of the evening sacrifice. The lamb representing Christ had been brought to be slain. Clothed in his significant and beautiful dress, the priest stood with lifted knife, as did Abraham when he was about to slay his son. With intense interest the people were looking on. But the earth trembles and quakes; for the Lord Himself draws near. With a rending noise the inner veil of the temple is torn from top to bottom by an unseen hand, throwing open to the gaze of the multitude a place once filled with the presence of God. In this place the Shekinah had dwelt. Here God had manifested His glory above the mercy seat. No one but the high priest ever lifted the veil separating this apartment from the rest of the temple. He entered in once a year to make an atonement for the sins of the people. But lo, this veil is rent in twain. The most holy place of the earthly sanctuary is no longer sacred. 

And soon, very soon, the most holy place in heaven will have been cleansed of all sin! Let us do our part. Every time we sin, the heavenly sanctuary must remain open. Jesus has to continue until we cease sinning. He is trying very hard to prepare a people who can live through the time of trouble such as never was without a Mediator without sinning! Today He is strengthening your character that you might vindicate Him who gave all that we might live!

Dorine

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2021, 06:55:32 AM »
"In their mockery of the Saviour, the men who professed to be the expounders of prophecy were repeating the very words which Inspiration had foretold they would utter upon this occasion. Yet in their blindness they did not see that they were fulfilling the prophecy. Those who in derision uttered the words, "He trusted in God; let Him deliver Him now, if He will have Him: for He said, I am the Son of God," little thought that their testimony would sound down the ages. But although spoken in mockery, these words led men to search the Scriptures as they had never done before. Wise men heard, searched, pondered, and prayed. There were those who never rested until, by comparing scripture with scripture, they saw the meaning of Christ's mission. Never before was there such a general knowledge of Jesus as when He hung upon the cross. Into the hearts of many who beheld the crucifixion scene, and who heard Christ's words, the light of truth was shining."
It's amazing how God can bring good out of evil. It took the horrible death of Jesus on the cross to cause many to study the scriptures to know for themselves the things that were written there.  What an encouragement to each of us as we face the trials that come to us. Even in these trials the fruit of the Spirit will be seen and be a testimony to the power of a loving God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2021, 07:39:17 AM »
Amen dear sister!  That is the message we are to carry to a world soon to perish. Amid the suffering we cannot imagine, Jesus thought only of ministering to others. By God's grace we shall do the same.

With amazement the angels beheld the infinite love of Jesus, who, suffering the most intense agony of mind and body, thought only of others, and encouraged the penitent soul to believe. In His humiliation He as a prophet had addressed the daughters of Jerusalem; as priest and advocate He had pleaded with the Father to forgive His murderers; as a loving Saviour He had forgiven the sins of the penitent thief. 

He is just as willing to forgive our sins today. Even the most guilty may receive forgiveness just as Jesus forgave the "chief of sinners" who was indeed guilty of persecuting His disciples which included murder. What a God who we serve!!

Beacon

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »
"Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe. "

"In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him. He was acquainted with the character of His Father; He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love. By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey..

..And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn.

"By faith, Christ was victor."

It is my prayer that all of us may have this same type of faith, regardless of the circumstances in which we find ourselves, Jesus is there and....

FAITH IS THE VICTORY THAT OVERCOMES THE WORLD.

Encamped along the hills of light,
  Ye Christian soldiers rise,
And press the battle ere the night
  Shall veil the glowing skies;
Against the foe in vales below
  Let all our strength be hurled;
Faith is the victory, we know,
  That overcomes the world.
    Faith is the victory!
Faith is the victory!
O glorious victory,
  That overcomes the world.
His banner over us is love,
  Our sword the Word of God;
We tread the road the saints before
  With shouts of triumph trod.
By faith, they like a whirlwind’s breath,
  Swept on o’er every field;
The faith by which they conquered death
  Is still our shining shield.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Words by John Henry Yates 1827 - 1900

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2021, 12:34:12 PM »
We all have a choice. So did Jesus. When He was on the cross, He chose to stay in the midst of the suffering to save us from sin. When we love Jesus with the whole heart, as we contemplate His infinite loveliness, we may find healing from self and grow to be more like Jesus as we realize how much He loves us!

"Jesus, suffering and dying, heard every word as the priests declared, 'He saved others; Himself He cannot save. Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe.' Christ could have come down from the cross. But it is because He would not save Himself that the sinner has hope of pardon and favor with God." {The Desire of Ages, page 749, paragraph 1} 

Praise God that we may have pardon with God because of the merits of Christ. Let us patiently and calmly receive the infinite salvation offered us and grow more like Him in constant union and communion with Christ! God is so gracious!