Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--78--Calvary  (Read 20705 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--78--Calvary
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2021, 06:58:43 AM »
"Simon had heard of Jesus. His sons were believers in the Saviour, but he himself was not a disciple. The bearing of the cross to Calvary was a blessing to Simon, and he was ever after grateful for this providence. It led him to take upon himself the cross of Christ from choice, and ever cheerfully stand beneath its burden."

Out of all the horrible description of the torturous treatment of Jesus this little paragraph stood out to me this morning. Do I bear the cross of Christ with joy and cheerful willingness? Simon didn't really know Jesus except from what his sons told him. Now as he is confronted with this terrible scene his heart is gripped with compassion and through accepting the cross on his back and carrying it to Calvary for Jesus his life is completely changed. That's what Calvary does when we open our hearts and let Jesus in."

On a rugged hill, stood a rugged cross,
And upon that cross there hung in shame,
God's beloved Son, Christ the lovely one,
Who from heaven to the sinner came.

On a rugged hill stood a mocking throng,
Scorning Him who came to save the lost.
It was not in vain that the saviour came,
To redeem the lost at priceless cost.

Calvary, rugged hill of sorrow,
Where the Prince of glory died for me,
Wounded, crushed and broken hearted,
Lone He suffered untold agony.
Sinless there He bore my burden,
That from sinful shame I might be free,
Glorious day, He took my sins away,
On the cross of Calvary.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2021, 08:04:50 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine!  Carrying His cross is the greatest trust and the highest honor God can bestow upon us. We too will glory in our tribulation as we abide in Jesus and He in us!
  In the sufferings of Christ upon the cross prophecy was fulfilled. Centuries before the crucifixion, the Saviour had foretold the treatment He was to receive. He said, "Dogs have compassed Me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed Me: they pierced My hands and My feet. I may tell all My bones: they look and stare upon Me. They part My garments among them, and cast lots upon My vesture." Psalm 22:16-18. The prophecy concerning His garments was carried out without counsel or interference from the friends or the enemies of the Crucified One. To the soldiers who had placed Him upon the cross, His clothing was given. Christ heard the men's contention as they parted the garments among them. His tunic was woven throughout without seam, and they said, "Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be."
     In another prophecy the Saviour declared, "Reproach hath broken My heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. They gave Me also gall for My meat; and in My thirst they gave Me vinegar to drink." Psalm 69:20, 21. To those who suffered death by the cross, it was permitted to give a stupefying potion, to deaden the sense of pain. This was offered to Jesus; but when He had tasted it, He refused it. He would receive nothing that could becloud His mind. His faith must keep fast hold upon God. This was His only strength. To becloud His senses would give Satan an advantage. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2021, 09:51:13 AM »
"The Saviour made no murmur of complaint. His face remained calm and serene, but great drops of sweat stood upon His brow. There was no pitying hand to wipe the death dew from His face, nor words of sympathy and unchanging fidelity to stay His human heart."

"While the soldiers were doing their fearful work, Jesus prayed for His enemies, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

"His mind passed from His own suffering to the sin of His persecutors, and the terrible retribution that would be theirs. No curses were called down upon the soldiers who were handling Him so roughly. No vengeance was invoked upon the priests and rulers, who were gloating over the accomplishment of their purpose. "

"Christ pitied them in their ignorance and guilt. He breathed only a plea for their forgiveness,--"for they know not what they do."

My Prayer for You and for Me is that we may be like Jesus if and when we are called to Stand Tall & Resolute for Him.

Earthly pleasures vainly call me,
  I would be like Jesus;
Nothing worldly shall enthrall me,
  I would be like Jesus.

Be like Jesus, this my song,
  In the home and in the throng;
Be like Jesus, all day long!
    I would be like Jesus.
He has broken every fetter,
  I would be like Jesus;
That my soul may serve Him better,
  I would be like Jesus.
All the way from earth to glory,
  I would be like Jesus;
Telling o’er and o’er the story,
  I would be like Jesus.

Lyrics:Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Music:Hugh Wilson (1766-1824)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2021, 06:13:24 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Richard, and Brother Beacon!

Christ bore our sin-laden experience even unto death so we can be free from sin’s pull and power in complete surrender to Jesus!!

“Satan with his fierce temptations wrung the heart of Jesus. The Saviour could not see through the portals of the tomb. Hope did not present to Him His coming forth from the grave a conqueror, or tell Him of the Father’s acceptance of the sacrifice. He feared that sin was so offensive to God that Their separation was to be eternal. Christ felt the anguish which the sinner will feel when mercy shall no longer plead for the guilty race. It was the sense of sin, bringing the Father’s wrath upon Him as man’s substitute, that made the cup He drank so bitter, and broke the heart of the Son of God.” {The Desire of Ages, page 753, paragraph 2}

Look to Jesus and experience His power over sin—for He rise to give us victory and the true filling of the Holy Spirit so all of the fruits of the Spirit will be in our lives without one missing as long as we remain abiding in Christ by His word!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2021, 08:11:30 PM »
"At this time a stranger, Simon a Cyrenian, coming in from the country, meets the throng. He hears the taunts and ribaldry of the crowd; he hears the words contemptuously repeated,,,

"Make way for the King of the Jews! "

"He stops in astonishment at the scene; and as he expresses his compassion, they seize him and place the cross upon his shoulders."

"Simon had heard of Jesus. His sons were believers in the Saviour, but he himself was not a disciple. "

"The bearing of the cross to Calvary was a blessing to Simon, and he was ever after grateful for this providence.

"It led him to take upon himself the cross of Christ from choice, and ever cheerfully stand beneath its burden."

In all of our busyness are " WE " willing to stop and with amazement look upon the scenes of Calvary and be drawn to Jesus, the Lamb of God who gave His life for us so that through Him we may have Eternal Life?

As we celebrate His Birth a few days from now may we also reflect on His Sacrifice at Calvary on our behalf.

Beneath the cross of Jesus
  I fain would take my stand,
The shadow of a mighty Rock
  Within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness,
  A rest upon the way,
From the burning of the noontide heat,
  And the burden of the day.
Oh, safe and happy shelter!
  Oh, refuge tried and sweet!
Oh, trysting place where heaven’s love
  And heaven’s justice meet.
As to the holy patriarch
  That wondrous dream was given,
So is my Savior by the cross
  A ladder up to heaven.
There lies beneath its shadow,
  But on the farther side,
The darkness of an awful grave
  That gapes both deep and wide;
And there between us stands the cross,
  Two arms outstretched to save,
Like a watchman set to guard the way
  From that eternal grave.
Upon that cross of Jesus
  Mine eye at times can see
The very dying form of One,
  Who suffered there for me;
And from my smitten heart, with tears,
  Two wonders I confess,
The wonders of His glorious love,
  And my own worthlessness.
I take, O cross, thy shadow
  For my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than
  The sunshine of His face;
Content to let the world go by,
  To know no gain nor loss,
My sinful self my only shame,
  My glory all the cross.

Lyrics:Elizabeth Cecilia Clephane (1830-1869)
Music:Frederick Charles Maker (1844-

Dorine

« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2021, 05:00:01 AM »
"That prayer of Christ for His enemies embraced the world. ("Father forgive them for they know not what they do")It took in every sinner that had lived or should live, from the beginning of the world to the end of time. Upon all rests the guilt of crucifying the Son of God. To all, forgiveness is freely offered. "Whosoever will" may have peace with God, and inherit eternal life."

Our debt is paid in full but we must come to Him in all our filth and hopelessness. He takes us just where we are and transforms our ugliness into His spotless character. Why do so many reject such an unbelievable gift that no human deserves? We may stumble and fall but His longsuffering knocks at our hearts door for entrance again. May we never come to the place where we refuse to let Him in. Some feel unworthy and too sinful for forgiveness but there's not a one who is worthy. He wants our hearts anyway. We have all sinned and that is what makes God's love for us so amazing. I cling to Him for He is my only hope.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2021, 06:46:58 AM »
Amen dear sister! What a God do we serve!! As we behold Jesus hanging on the cross for our sins, we are reminded that He hangs there for my sins and the sins of the whole world. By His stripes are we healed. It is especially the closing scenes that draw the heart to our Lord. How could we deny Him the whole heart!

Arriving at the place of execution, the prisoners were bound to the instruments of torture. The two thieves wrestled in the hands of those who placed them on the cross; but Jesus made no resistance. The mother of Jesus, supported by John the beloved disciple, had followed the steps of her Son to Calvary. She had seen Him fainting under the burden of the cross, and had longed to place a supporting hand beneath His wounded head, and to bathe that brow which had once been pillowed upon her bosom. But she was not permitted this mournful privilege. With the disciples she still cherished the hope that Jesus would manifest His power, and deliver Himself from His enemies. Again her heart would sink as she recalled the words in which He had foretold the very scenes that were then taking place. As the thieves were bound to the cross, she looked on with agonizing suspense. Would He who had given life to the dead suffer Himself to be crucified? Would the Son of God suffer Himself to be thus cruelly slain? Must she give up her faith that Jesus was the Messiah? Must she witness His shame and sorrow, without even the privilege of ministering to Him in His distress? She saw His hands stretched upon the cross; the hammer and the nails were brought, and as the spikes were driven through the tender flesh, the heart-stricken disciples bore away from the cruel scene the fainting form of the mother of Jesus.
     The Saviour made no murmur of complaint. His face remained calm and serene, but great drops of sweat stood upon His brow. There was no pitying hand to wipe the death dew from His face, nor words of sympathy and unchanging fidelity to stay His human heart. While the soldiers were doing their fearful work, Jesus prayed for His enemies, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." His mind passed from His own suffering to the sin of His persecutors, and the terrible retribution that would be theirs. No curses were called down upon the soldiers who were handling Him so roughly. No vengeance was invoked upon the priests and rulers, who were gloating over the accomplishment of their purpose. Christ pitied them in their ignorance and guilt. He breathed only a plea for their forgiveness,--"for they know not what they do." 

If we repent because we see what we have done to Jesus, then that prayer will be answered. If we do not, then God cannot forgive us. As our sister has questioned, why would anyone reject such love? Think of the times we have sinned when we knew of His love? Why would we crucify Christ afresh? We are evil by nature and the flesh will control what we do when we do not cling to Jesus. We must keep Calvary fresh in our minds, for the grace of God is the power that keeps us from sin. Nothing else can.

What was it that gave Christ the power to carry our sins?

Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe. In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him. He was acquainted with the character of His Father; He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love. By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey. And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn. By faith, Christ was victor.

May it be so with each of us, every day.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2021, 08:27:33 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine and Brother Richard!

Apparently--or on the surface--it might have seemed like Jesus was forsaken at the cross. But was He? No! The Father had not changed, Jesus had not changed, and the Holy Spirit was mightily active to lead all to appreciate the depth of the sacrifice being made for us, both then and forever! While sin cut off Jesus' human life in only a matter of hours, the Father was with His Son, though unseen. Jesus' divinity did not die, but He bore our nature to the point of death as a sinless sacrifice to destroy Satan's power and set us free from sin, that we may affectionately obey God and overcome by having all of the fruits of the Spirit in our lives without one missing! May we learn to exercise the "faith of Jesus" in how He learned to trust the Father's character over the horror of the way sin slew Him in order to redeem us from sin's ruin! What love we see here, and what an anchor to help us in the time of trouble so soon to come upon the world!

"Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe. In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him. He was acquainted with the character of His Father; He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love. By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey. And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn. By faith, Christ was victor." {The Desire of Ages, page 756, paragraph 3}

We can be victorious in Christ in every time of "apparent" failure. Let us remember that as the world's Redeemer Christ was constantly confronted with apparent failure--so do not look the circumstances you face, look to the character of God, the sacrifice made for us at Calvary, and the unchanging promises of His word whereby we may become partakers of the divine nature!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2022, 08:03:25 PM »
"Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe."

"In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him."

"He was acquainted with the character of His Father; He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love."

"By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey."

"And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn."

"By faith, Christ was victor!!"

Hebrews 11:6 says...
"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

I would like to encourage all us to re-read the "Great Stories of Faith as recorded in God's Word" so that we will be able to recall them when we are required to pass through deep valleys on our journey to the kingdom of our Lord.

Encamped along the hills of light,
  Ye Christian soldiers rise,
And press the battle ere the night
  Shall veil the glowing skies;
Against the foe in vales below
  Let all our strength be hurled;
Faith is the victory, we know,
  That overcomes the world.
    Faith is the victory!
Faith is the victory!
O glorious victory,
His banner over us is love,
  Our sword the Word of God;
We tread the road the saints before
  With shouts of triumph trod.
By faith, they like a whirlwind’s breath,
  Swept on o’er every field;
The faith by which they conquered death
  Is still our shining shield.
On every hand the foe we find
  Drawn up in dread array;
Let tents of ease be left behind,
  And onward to the fray.
Salvation’s helmet on each head,
  With truth all girt about,
The earth shall tremble ’neath our tread,
  And echo with our shout.
To him that overcomes the foe,
  White raiment shall be giv’n;
Before the angels he shall know
  His name confessed in heav’n;
Then onward from the hills of light,
  Our hearts with love aflame,
We’ll vanquish all the hosts of night,
  In Jesus’ conqu’ring name.

Lyrics:John Henry Yates (1837-1900)
Music:Ira David Sankey (1840-1908)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2022, 04:09:00 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon!

At the eleventh hour--the latest possible time--Jesus can still save to the uttermost! Look to Him and live! Be converted in Him and grow in His supernatural grace so He can produce in your surrendered life all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as you gladly are empowered to obey God's law of love!

"For long hours of agony, reviling and mockery have fallen upon the ears of Jesus. As He hangs upon the cross, there floats up to Him still the sound of jeers and curses. With longing heart He has listened for some expression of faith from His disciples. He has heard only the mournful words, 'We trusted that it had been He which should have redeemed Israel.' How grateful then to the Saviour was the utterance of faith and love from the dying thief! While the leading Jews deny Him, and even the disciples doubt His divinity, the poor thief, upon the brink of eternity, calls Jesus Lord. Many were ready to call Him Lord when He wrought miracles, and after He had risen from the grave; but none acknowledged Him as He hung dying upon the cross save the penitent thief who was saved at the eleventh hour." {The Desire of Ages, page 750, paragraph 3}

No matter how sinful we are, we can come to Christ. Look away from the weakness of yourself and choose Christ, cooperating with Him so there can be a renewal of your attitudes, thoughts, habits and character in harmony with His unselfish love!

Dorine

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2022, 06:22:50 AM »
"All is terror and confusion. The priest is about to slay the victim; but the knife drops from his nerveless hand, and the lamb escapes. Type has met antitype in the death of God's Son. The great sacrifice has been made. The way into the holiest is laid open. A new and living way is prepared for all. No longer need sinful, sorrowing humanity await the coming of the high priest. Henceforth the Saviour was to officiate as priest and advocate in the heaven of heavens. It was as if a living voice had spoken to the worshipers: There is now an end to all sacrifices and offerings for sin. The Son of God is come according to His word, "Lo, I come (in the volume of the Book it is written of Me,) to do Thy will, O God." "By His own blood" He entereth "in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us." Hebrews 10:7; 9:12.

Even after this eventful and terrifying experience and with the evidence of who Christ was, nothing changed. It still has not changed. Hardened hearts are still following their own ways and desires with no consciousness of where they are headed. When conviction comes it stings for only a bit and they are all the more determined to live the way they choose. But thank God for His untiring and longsuffering wooing's to bring lost souls to Him. There will be those who will heed His call and become mighty witnesses for Him. What a privilege is ours to work for these souls for Christ. May we never become weary or tired of well doing.

Beacon

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2022, 08:07:09 PM »
"The Saviour made no murmur of complaint."

"His face remained calm and serene, but great drops of sweat stood upon His brow."

"There was no pitying hand to wipe the death dew from His face, nor words of sympathy and unchanging fidelity to stay His human heart."

"While the soldiers were doing their fearful work, Jesus prayed for His enemies, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

"His mind passed from His own suffering to the sin of His persecutors, and the terrible retribution that would be theirs."

"No curses were called down upon the soldiers who were handling Him so roughly."

"No vengeance was invoked upon the priests and rulers, who were gloating over the accomplishment of their purpose."

"Christ pitied them in their ignorance and guilt."

"He breathed only a plea for their forgiveness,--"for they know not what they do."

If it should be that I also am to experience a torturous death for Jesus in the End Time Persecution, I pray that I also will be able to pray for those who persecute me and/or kill me!

============================

" Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
    Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
  Oh, to be lost in Thee,
Oh, that it may be no more I,
    But Christ that lives in me.
Not I, but Christ to gently soothe in sorrow,
Not I, but Christ to wipe the falling tear;
Not I, but Christ to lift the weary burden,
Not I, but Christ to hush away all fear.
Christ, only Christ, no idle word e’er falling,
Christ, only Christ, no needless bustling sound;
Christ, only Christ, no self-important bearing,
Christ, only Christ, no trace of I be found.
Not I, but Christ my every need supplying,
Not I, but Christ my strength and health to be;
Christ, only Christ, for spirit, soul, and body,
Christ, only Christ, live then Thy life in me.
Christ, only Christ, ere long will fill my vision,
Glory excelling soon, full soon I’ll see;
Christ, only Christ, my every wish fulfilling,
Christ, only Christ, my all in all to be."

Lyrics:Mrs. Ada A. Whiddington (1891)
Music:Albert Benjamin Simpson (1843-1919)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2022, 08:52:48 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  Not I but Christ in all I do (I pray).

Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe. In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him. He was acquainted with the character of His Father; He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love. By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey. And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn. By faith, Christ was victor.

Amen! This is the only hope we have to be able to go through a time of trouble such as never was. God is not going to wave a wand and transform us. No, it is today we are to form a character clinging to Jesus moment by moment. When we love the lord our God with all of the heart, mind, soul, and strength, then it will be because we know Him who allowed His innocent Son to come to this dark spot in the universe, a helpless baby subject the weakness of humanity to fight the battle of life as we must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss! Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth! Herein is love!

Beacon

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2022, 08:00:48 PM »
"Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe."

"In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him."

"He was acquainted with the character of His Father."

"He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love."

"By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey."

"In submission He committed Himself to God."

"Then"-- The sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn."

"By faith, Christ was victor."

BY FAITH WE ALSO MAY BE VICTORIOUS

"Remember" Jesus said in Matthew 16:24 "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

=======================
Encamped along the hills of light,
  Ye Christian soldiers rise,
And press the battle ere the night
  Shall veil the glowing skies;
Against the foe in vales below
  Let all our strength be hurled;
Faith is the victory, we know,
    Faith is the victory!
Faith is the victory!
O glorious victory,
His banner over us is love,
  Our sword the Word of God;
We tread the road the saints before
  With shouts of triumph trod.
By faith, they like a whirlwind’s breath,
  Swept on o’er every field;
The faith by which they conquered death
  Is still our shining shield.
On every hand the foe we find
  Drawn up in dread array;
Let tents of ease be left behind,
  And onward to the fray.
Salvation’s helmet on each head,
  With truth all girt about,
The earth shall tremble ’neath our tread,
  And echo with our shout.
To him that overcomes the foe,
  White raiment shall be giv’n;
Before the angels he shall know
  His name confessed in heav’n;
Then onward from the hills of light,
  Our hearts with love aflame,
We’ll vanquish all the hosts of night,
  In Jesus’ conqu’ring name.

Lyrics:John Henry Yates (1837-1900)
Music:Ira David Sankey (1840-1908)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2022, 04:54:20 AM »
Darkness is not the enemy--sin is. And Jesus bore the darkest experience in becoming sin for us (and yet never sinned in that sacrificial offering of Himself), and by taking our deserved experience of darkness by faith to death at the cross, He opened up a way for us to be able to endure the time of trouble (the darkest period ever to transpire in earth's history) because we have learned to depend on God's character revealed in Christ in His word and not our circumstances for assurance as to having favor with God. By surrendering the WHOLE heart to Jesus, He cleanses it and makes us new, so all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are seen in our lives as we gladly obey God up to the light of present truth for this time! Let us by faith be victorious just on the verge of Jesus' second coming!!

"Amid the awful darkness, apparently forsaken of God, Christ had drained the last dregs in the cup of human woe. In those dreadful hours He had relied upon the evidence of His Father's acceptance heretofore given Him. He was acquainted with the character of His Father; He understood His justice, His mercy, and His great love. By faith He rested in Him whom it had ever been His joy to obey. And as in submission He committed Himself to God, the sense of the loss of His Father's favor was withdrawn. By faith, Christ was victor." {The Desire of Ages, page 756, paragraph 3}

Victory is only in Christ. As long as we are in Him, defeat is impossible. Apart from Christ, sin, the world and the devil will always overcome us, but if we are abiding in Christ, we can enjoy CONSTANT victory in doing God's will and having a song to sing of His glory, even the song of Moses and the Lamb!!!

Dorine

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2022, 05:09:12 AM »
"The spotless Son of God hung upon the cross, His flesh lacerated with stripes; those hands so often reached out in blessing, nailed to the wooden bars; those feet so tireless on ministries of love, spiked to the tree; that royal head pierced by the crown of thorns; those quivering lips shaped to the cry of woe. And all that He endured--the blood drops that flowed from His head, His hands, His feet, the agony that racked His frame, and the unutterable anguish that filled His soul at the hiding of His Father's face--speaks to each child of humanity, declaring, It is for thee that the Son of God consents to bear this burden of guilt; for thee He spoils the domain of death, and opens the gates of Paradise. He who stilled the angry waves and walked the foam-capped billows, who made devils tremble and disease flee, who opened blind eyes and called forth the dead to life,--offers Himself upon the cross as a sacrifice, and this from love to thee. He, the Sin Bearer, endures the wrath of divine justice, and for thy sake becomes sin itself."

I bow in His presence this morning in humble awe and thankfulness for the sacrifice made on Calvary for me and for you. Are we willing to follow in His footsteps? What ever we face He gives us strength to endure and fills us with His sacrificial love for all when we come in total surrender to His will.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2022, 10:35:07 PM »
Amen!! The two of the most beautiful truths! From love to thee! He trusted in His Father's love.

Beacon

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2022, 08:04:30 PM »
"With longing heart He has listened for some expression of faith from His disciples."

"He has heard only the mournful words."

" We trusted that it had been He which should have redeemed Israel."

"How grateful then to the Saviour was the utterance of faith and love from the dying thief."

"While the leading Jews deny Him, and even the disciples doubt His divinity, the poor thief, upon the brink of eternity, calls Jesus Lord."

"Many were ready to call Him Lord when He wrought miracles.

"And after He had risen from the grave."

But none acknowledged Him as He hung dying upon the cross save the penitent thief who was saved at the eleventh hour."

How Thankful "WE" should be that "Jesus Paid It All"  Does " OUR" daily life reflect that Thankfulness? "

=======================
I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small,
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”
    Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
  He washed it white as snow.
Lord, now indeed I find
Thy pow’r, and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots,
And melt the heart of stone.
For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim—
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.
And when, before the throne,
I stand in Him complete,
“Jesus died my soul to save,”
My lips shall still repeat.

Lyrics:Elvina Mable Reynolds Hall (1822-1889)
Music:John Thomas Grape (1834-1915)

Philip T

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2022, 04:27:22 AM »
  The Saviour made no murmur of complaint. His face remained calm and serene, but great drops of sweat stood upon His brow. There was no pitying hand to wipe the death dew from His face, nor words of sympathy and unchanging fidelity to stay His human heart. While the soldiers were doing their fearful work, Jesus prayed for His enemies, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." His mind passed from His own suffering to the sin of His persecutors, and the terrible retribution that would be theirs. No curses were called down upon the soldiers who were handling Him so roughly. No vengeance was invoked upon the priests and rulers, who were gloating over the accomplishment of their purpose. Christ pitied them in their ignorance and guilt. He breathed only a plea for their forgiveness,--"for they know not what they do."

Jesus' love pours out upon those doing the very act of crucifying him - nailing him to the cross- Oh, the love of Christ for all, the love of God is truly unmeasurable.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2022, 08:44:23 AM »
Amen Brother Philip! Such love! What more evidence do we need? God loves us. He watched His innocent Son suffer. Wonder O heavens and be astonished O Earth!!

Amazing that the disciples and the mother of Jesus lost their faith in Jesus as Messiah.  We are a forgetful people! This is the work of false teachers. There was only one who gave comfort to Christ.

To Jesus in His agony on the cross there came one gleam of comfort. It was the prayer of the penitent thief. Both the men who were crucified with Jesus had at first railed upon Him; and one under his suffering only became more desperate and defiant. But not so with his companion. This man was not a hardened criminal; he had been led astray by evil associations, but he was less guilty than many of those who stood beside the cross reviling the Saviour. He had seen and heard Jesus, and had been convicted by His teaching, but he had been turned away from Him by the priests and rulers. Seeking to stifle conviction, he had plunged deeper and deeper into sin, until he was arrested, tried as a criminal, and condemned to die on the cross. In the judgment hall and on the way to Calvary he had been in company with Jesus. He had heard Pilate declare, "I find no fault in Him." John 19:4. He had marked His godlike bearing, and His pitying forgiveness of His tormentors. On the cross he sees the many great religionists shoot out the tongue with scorn, and ridicule the Lord Jesus. He sees the wagging heads. He hears the upbraiding speeches taken up by his companion in guilt: "If Thou be Christ, save Thyself and us." Among the passers-by he hears many defending Jesus. He hears them repeat His words, and tell of His works. The conviction comes back to him that this is the Christ. Turning to his fellow criminal he says, "Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?" The dying thieves have no longer anything to fear from man. But upon one of them presses the conviction that there is a God to fear, a future to cause him to tremble. And now, all sin-polluted as it is, his life history is about to close. "And we indeed justly," he moans; "for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this Man hath done nothing amiss."