Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--77--In Pilate's Judgment Hall  (Read 15091 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--77--In Pilate's Judgment Hall
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2022, 08:04:27 PM »
"Pilate longed to deliver Jesus."

"But he saw that he could not do this, and yet retain his own position and honor."

"Rather than lose his worldly power, he chose to sacrifice an innocent life."

"How many, to escape loss or suffering, in like manner sacrifice principle. Conscience and duty point one way, and self-interest points another.

"The current sets strongly in the wrong direction, and he who compromises with evil is swept away into the thick darkness of guilt."

Historical records verified that this statement above was proven to be very true.

"Pilate longed to deliver Jesus."

"But he saw that he could not do this, and yet retain his own position and honor. Rather than lose his worldly power, he chose to sacrifice an innocent life."

"How many, to escape loss or suffering, in like manner sacrifice principle.

"Conscience and duty point one way, and self-interest points another. The current sets strongly in the wrong direction, and he who compromises with evil is swept away into the thick darkness of guilt."   

What will You & I Choose to do with Jesus? What path will we follow? The one that leads to Eternal Life? Or the One that leads to Eternal Death.?

Joshua 24:15 says...
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

============================
Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

Lyrics:Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Music:Henri Abraham Cesar Malan (1787-1864)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2022, 05:39:41 AM »
"Pilate was not a just or a conscientious judge; but weak though he was in moral power, he refused to grant this request. He would not condemn Jesus until a charge had been brought against Him." 

Pilot knew Jesus was innocent but his earthly position was far more important to him. Are earthly ties holding us back from a total surrender to Jesus?  The story of Pilot is a very sad one. Jesus extends to each one of us His grace. May our hearts be fully committed to Him so that each fruit of the Spirit will be seen in our lives.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2022, 09:41:38 AM »
Amen my dear brother and sister!   I think of Pilot and Judas, they had something in common, their character they had built over a lifetime. It was not the one decision they made that closed their probation, but a lifetime of going in the wrong direction. Today, to a great degree reveals tomorrow. We can break from the mold if we will spend time with Jesus every day, learning from Him and of Him. It is by knowing Him that we are changed in nature.

Christ affirmed that His word was in itself a key which would unlock the mystery to those who were prepared to receive it. It had a self-commending power, and this was the secret of the spread of His kingdom of truth. He desired Pilate to understand that only by receiving and appropriating truth could his ruined nature be reconstructed. 
     Pilate had a desire to know the truth. His mind was confused. He eagerly grasped the words of the Saviour, and his heart was stirred with a great longing to know what it really was, and how he could obtain it. "What is truth?" he inquired. But he did not wait for an answer. The tumult outside recalled him to the interests of the hour; for the priests were clamorous for immediate action. Going out to the Jews, he declared emphatically, "I find in Him no fault at all."   

The Holy Spirit was opening his mind to truth, but Satan had spread a net to catch him in that moment. He knew the weakness of Pilot and was successful at destroying another poor human. Wanting to do good is not good enough. We must give all to Jesus then we will be able to do what we know is good and right.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2022, 08:00:45 PM »
"Pilate had a desire to know the truth. His mind was confused."

"He eagerly grasped the words of the Saviour, and his heart was stirred with a great longing to know what it really was, and how he could obtain it."

"What is truth?" he inquired."

"But he did not wait for an answer."

"The tumult outside recalled him to the interests of the hour; for the priests were clamorous for immediate action. Going out to the Jews, he declared emphatically..."

"I find in Him no fault at all."   

" But...Conscience and duty point one way, but self-interest points another."

"The current sets strongly in the wrong direction, and he who compromises with evil is swept away into the thick darkness of guilt."

What will You & I Choose to do with Jesus?

What path will we follow?

The one that leads to Eternal Life? Or the One that leads to Eternal Death.? May our prayer and song always be...I will follow Thee My Saviour

==========================
O Jesus, I have promised
  To serve Thee to the end;
Be Thou forever near me,
  My Master and my Friend;
I shall not fear the battle
  If Thou art by my side,
Nor wander from the pathway
  If Thou wilt be my Guide.
Oh, let me feel Thee near me;
  The world is ever near;
I see the sights that dazzle,
  The tempting sounds I hear;
My foes are ever near me,
  Around me and within;
But, Jesus, draw Thou nearer,
  And shield my soul from sin.
Oh, let me hear Thee speaking,
  In accents clear and still,
Above the storms of passion,
  The murmurs of self-will;
Oh, speak to reassure me,
  To hasten, or control;
Oh, speak, and make me listen,
  Thou Guardian of my soul.
O Jesus, Thou hast promised
  To all who follow Thee
That where Thou art in glory
  There shall Thy servant be;
And Jesus, I have promised
  To serve Thee to the end;
Oh, give me grace to follow,
  My Master and my Friend.
Oh, let me see Thy footmarks,
  And in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow duly
  Is in Thy strength alone.
Oh, guide me, call me, draw me,
  Uphold me to the end;
And then to rest receive me,
  My Savior and my Friend.

Lyrics:John Ernest Bode (1816-1874)
Music:Arthur Henry Mann (1850-1929)

HAPPY SABBATH TO ALL GOD'S FAMILY AROUND THE WORLD - BE FAITHFUL MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS FOR IT WILL BE "WORTH IT ALL WHEN WE SEE JESUS"

Dorine

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2022, 05:10:58 AM »
"The greatest guilt and heaviest responsibility belonged to those who stood in the highest places in the nation, the depositaries of sacred trusts that they were basely betraying. Pilate, Herod, and the Roman soldiers were comparatively ignorant of Jesus. They thought to please the priests and rulers by abusing Him. They had not the light which the Jewish nation had so abundantly received. Had the light been given to the soldiers, they would not have treated Christ as cruelly as they did."

Serious thoughts to ponder. How many today would accept Jesus if they were shown by our characters the grace of God?
May we never allow anyone to go down into their graves lost because of our neglect. May we seize every opportunity to speak for Christ in word and actions.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2022, 06:46:25 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!!

Happy Sabbath!!

Beholding Christ we see a powerful revelation of our Heavenly Father's character. By beholding we become changed as the Holy Spirit imbues us with His thoughts, feelings and motives to reflect His actions of selfless love to the universe watching for the final display of God's true character! Christ in His trial modeled how we can be godlike amid intense suffering and humiliation, manifesting the courage of His character to stand true to who we are as witnesses for His kingdom that will never pass away.

"There stood the Son of God, wearing the robe of mockery and the crown of thorns. Stripped to the waist, His back showed the long, cruel stripes, from which the blood flowed freely. His face was stained with blood, and bore the marks of exhaustion and pain; but never had it appeared more beautiful than now. The Saviour's visage was not marred before His enemies. Every feature expressed gentleness and resignation and the tenderest pity for His cruel foes. In His manner there was no cowardly weakness, but the strength and dignity of long-suffering. In striking contrast was the prisoner at His side. Every line of the countenance of Barabbas proclaimed him the hardened ruffian that he was. The contrast spoke to every beholder. Some of the spectators were weeping. As they looked upon Jesus, their hearts were full of sympathy. Even the priests and rulers were convicted that He was all that He claimed to be." {The Desire of Ages, page 735, paragraph 4}

Christ is not only the Messiah, but He is now our High Priest and soon returning King! Let us abide in His love so all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing as long as we are fully surrendered in constant union and communion with Him! Then, by grace through faith, we are empowered in affectionate obedience to God's law of love!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2022, 06:47:20 AM »
Amen dear sister!  What a privilege, what a responsibility! We are either a savor unto life or a savor unto death!

My thoughts today are on the character of Pilot. He had an interest in truth, but the character he had formed over his life kept him from doing what was right. God gave  him plenty of opportunity to understand what was happening all around him and his wife, yet he could not keep from torturing and killing the Son of God. We ought to understand that what we are doing today has a very lot to do with what we shall do tomorrow. Which way are we going? Up or down. Our thoughts and actions are forming habits which form our character. Our character is the only thing those who have formed righteous characters will take with them to heaven.

Right now, the Holy Spirit is speaking to us about this subject. He convicts of sin and our need to be righteous, and of a judgment to come. Today is the day of salvation. Today we can choose to learn of Him which is what will cause us to turn from sin which is what caused Jesus to suffer in our place. Seeing this is the grace that brings sinners to repentance. It would be well to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating this unmerited love.

Pilate had a desire to know the truth. His mind was confused. He eagerly grasped the words of the Saviour, and his heart was stirred with a great longing to know what it really was, and how he could obtain it. "What is truth?" he inquired. But he did not wait for an answer. The tumult outside recalled him to the interests of the hour; for the priests were clamorous for immediate action. Going out to the Jews, he declared emphatically, "I find in Him no fault at all."   
     These words from a heathen judge were a scathing rebuke to the perfidy and falsehood of the rulers of Israel who were accusing the Saviour. As the priests and elders heard this from Pilate, their disappointment and rage knew no bounds. They had long plotted and waited for this opportunity. As they saw the prospect of the release of Jesus, they seemed ready to tear Him in pieces. They loudly denounced Pilate, and threatened him with the censure of the Roman government. They accused him of refusing to condemn Jesus, who, they affirmed, had set Himself up against Caesar....
     Pilate at this time had no thought of condemning Jesus. He knew that the Jews had accused Him through hatred and prejudice. He knew what his duty was. Justice demanded that Christ should be immediately released. But Pilate dreaded the ill will of the people. Should he refuse to give Jesus into their hands, a tumult would be raised, and this he feared to meet.

And above all else, there was Pilot in the presence of God, hearing from His lips words that He understood were coming from someone other than a mere lowly human. Yes, Jesus was human, but He was also the Son of God, and appeared as such.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2022, 08:00:58 PM »
"I find no fault in Him at all!!"

"These words from a heathen judge were a scathing rebuke to the perfidy and falsehood of the rulers of Israel who were accusing the Saviour."

"As the priests and elders heard this from Pilate, their disappointment and rage knew no bounds."

"They had long plotted and waited for this opportunity."

"As they saw the prospect of the release of Jesus, they seemed ready to tear Him in pieces. They loudly denounced Pilate, and threatened him with the censure of the Roman government. They accused him of refusing to condemn Jesus, who, they affirmed, had set Himself up against Caesar."

"Pilate at this time had no thought of condemning Jesus."

"He knew that the Jews had accused Him through hatred and prejudice.:

"He knew what his duty was."

"Justice demanded that Christ should be immediately released."

"But Pilate dreaded the ill will of the people."

"Should he refuse to give Jesus into their hands, a tumult would be raised, and this he feared to meet."

When it comes "OUR" turn, in the near future to declare who's side we are on, will Our Anchor Hold ??
===========================
Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,
When the clouds unfold their wings of strife?
When the strong tides lift, and the cables strain,
Will your anchor drift or firm remain?

We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Stedfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
  Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
It is safely moored, ’twill the storm withstand,
For ’tis well secured by the Savior’s hand;
And the cables passed from His heart to mine,
Can defy the blast, through strength divine.
It will firmly hold in the straits of fear,
When the breakers have told the reef is near;
Though the tempest rave and the wild winds blow,
Not an angry wave shall our bark o’erflow.
It will surely hold in the floods of death,
When the waters cold chill our latest breath;
On the rising tide it can never fail,
While our hopes abide within the veil.

Lyrics:Priscilla Jane Owens (1829-1907)
Music:William James Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)

Dorine

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2022, 06:22:09 AM »
"The mission of Christ in this world was not to gratify idle curiosity. He came to heal the brokenhearted. Could He have spoken any word to heal the bruises of sin-sick souls, He would not have kept silent. But He had no words for those who would but trample the truth under their unholy feet."

When we find ourselves among enemies and accusers we have a wonderful example in Jesus. I love to gaze upon His life for He brings me much courage and strength to face the daily battles of life. A continual surrender to Jesus is preparing us for much bigger storms and battles and through it all by His grace we do and will stand firm as a rock for Him. Let's never tire of reading and meditating upon His sufferings for us for it softens the heart and brings us closer to Him and our deep desire is to do all we can to bring this precious gospel to the world.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2022, 09:00:35 AM »
Amen dear sister!  It is sad that so many lose the opportunity to be comforted every day by beholding His life of love and courage. Just a few days ago I listened to a radio talk show host say that the Jews did not kill Jesus, but the Romans did. A Christian was trying to explain that it was the Jews who wanted Him dead. The host kept saying show me from the Bible, but none gave him Words from the Bible that reveal why wanted Jesus dead. I was amazed at the lack of understanding. We take so very much for granted.

One thing that may seem very small, but it always offends me greatly.

Priests and rulers forgot the dignity of their office, and abused the Son of God with foul epithets. They taunted Him with His parentage. They declared that His presumption in proclaiming Himself the Messiah made Him deserving of the most ignominious death. The most dissolute men engaged in infamous abuse of the Saviour. An old garment was thrown over His head, and His persecutors struck Him in the face, saying, "Prophesy unto us, Thou Christ, Who is he that smote Thee?" When the garment was removed, one poor wretch spat in His face. 

While offended by the treatment of our Lord, His response always softens my heart. Father forgiven them for many did not know what they were doing. Many even of the priests were later converted by His grace.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2022, 11:18:29 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Sister Dorine and Brother Richard!!

Try to imagine the scene. Christ is being treated with cruelty and injustice, and yet He patiently bears it all. Why? Because He willingly stepped down from heaven to be born as our Brother, live a perfect life as our Example, and then endured uncomplainingly all that wicked men could heap upon Him as He was about to go to the cross as our atoning Sacrifice. Beholding such infinite love changes us--enabling us to surrender fully to Him, be thoroughly converted, and overcome sin because He became sin for us. When united with Him by faith, sin loses its power over us and we are enabled to bear the fruit of the Spirit without one trait of the divine nature missing from our experience. Gladly we are empowered to obey God from the new heart and go forth to bless others because of the infinite blessing of salvation we have received in Christ.

"'Herod with his men of war set Him at nought, and mocked Him, and arrayed Him in a gorgeous robe.' The Roman soldiers joined in this abuse. All that these wicked, corrupt soldiers, helped on by Herod and the Jewish dignitaries, could instigate was heaped upon the Saviour. Yet His divine patience failed not." {The Desire of Ages, page 731, paragraph 2}

The divine patience Christ manifested in His trial is for us, too, in our trials and tribulations. Nothing He endured was for Himself--it was ALL FOR US!!! He offers us His character so we can let our sinful character be crucified with Him, and thus walk in newness of life! What a blessing comes from understanding the purpose of Christ's expiatory sufferings!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}