Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--77--In Pilate's Judgment Hall  (Read 11906 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--77--In Pilate's Judgment Hall
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2021, 02:38:17 AM »
What sustained Jesus as He was about to be crucified?

"Satan's rage was great as he saw that all the abuse inflicted upon the Saviour had not forced the least murmur from His lips. Although He had taken upon Him the nature of man, He was sustained by a godlike fortitude, and departed in no particular from the will of His Father." {The Desire of Ages, page 735, paragraph 1}

Christ chose not to depart from the will of His Father. When we look upon the majesty and meekness of Jesus, His loveliness of character inspires us to choose the will of our Father in heaven and be willing to be anything or nothing as His providence shall indicate that God's plans may be fulfilled. Because Jesus was sustained by a godlike fortitude through a living faith surrender to the will of His Father, we also may walk by the faith of Jesus in continual surrender to God and be filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in true obedience to His commandments as long as we choose the will of God no matter the cost. Let us keep our eyes fixed on Jesus today!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2021, 06:53:51 AM »
"Rather than risk losing his position, he,(Pilot), delivered Jesus up to be crucified. But in spite of his precautions, the very thing he dreaded afterward came upon him. His honors were stripped from him, he was cast down from his high office, and, stung by remorse and wounded pride, not long after the crucifixion he ended his own life.

""There is  way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." Proverbs 14:12."

Day by day our choices are strengthening or weakening our Eternal Destiny  - What will we choose to do with Jesus? For it says in His Word...

Joshua 24:15
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Look up and listen for the shout.

Philip T

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2021, 08:43:46 AM »
Pilate longed to deliver Jesus. But he saw that he could not do this, and yet retain his own position and honor. Rather than lose his worldly power, he chose to sacrifice an innocent life. How many, to escape loss or suffering, in like manner sacrifice principle. Conscience and duty point one way, and self-interest points another. The current sets strongly in the wrong direction, and he who compromises with evil is swept away into the thick darkness of guilt.

A lesson for us today, Pilot knew Jesus was innocent of any wrongdoing, yet he did not wish to lose his position of power here on earth, so he chose to sacrifice an innocent man. He would not make a clear decision for Christ, but attempted compromise, and in the end he could not pronounce Jesus innocent. When we compromise with sin, attempting any way to keep it rather than surrender it we find ourselves on the same slippery slope and end up doing just as Pilot did, slip and fall. Which will lead to eternal death. Having turned our backs on the conviction of the Holy Spirit through justifying our indecision to surrender to God all of ourselves. 

Dorine

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »
  "When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just Person: see ye to it." In fear and self-condemnation Pilate looked upon the Saviour. In the vast sea of upturned faces, His alone was peaceful. About His head a soft light seemed to shine. Pilate said in his heart, He is a God. Turning to the multitude he declared, I am clear of His blood. Take ye Him, and crucify Him. But mark ye, priests and rulers, I pronounce Him a just man. May He whom He claims as His Father judge you and not me for this day's work. Then to Jesus he said, Forgive me for this act; I cannot save You. And when he had again scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crucified. 

Unbelievable! How could this have actually happened? Yet it did. Pilate knew that Jesus was a holy man guiltless of the crimes He was accused of. Pilate may not have been able to save Jesus but what a different outcome for himself if only he had accepted Jesus into his heart refusing to be the one to hand Jesus over to be crucified. Pilate's end would have been much different. He would rather give up eternity than to surrender his pride. No matter what we are faced with in life we always have the final say as to who we will obey. May eternity with Jesus be far more precious to us than any selfish ambition we may have."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2021, 09:58:49 PM »
What a lesson in character we have today!!   Poor Pilate!  He knew Jesus was innocent,  but had Him flogged and crucified so he would not lose his place in life. Like the rich young ruler, he was unwilling to give up his riches and position. How shall we hold up when faced with losing all we have in order to not hurt our Savior? If we can't be faithful today in the "little" things of life, how shall we be in the great trials? Those who do not believe they need to be "perfect" in their hearts will not be able to be perfect when it will truly cost all.

Jesus knew the Holy Spirit was working on the heart of Pilate. Satan was also at work to distract him from the truth he was seeking. How very sad. Do we allow Satan to distract us? All too often. Let us learn from the experience of Pilate.

Hoping to gain the truth from Him and to escape the tumult of the crowd, Pilate took Jesus aside with him, and again questioned, "Art Thou the King of the Jews?"   
     Jesus did not directly answer this question. He knew that the Holy Spirit was striving with Pilate, and He gave him opportunity to acknowledge his conviction. "Sayest thou this thing of thyself," He asked, "or did others tell it thee of Me?" That is, was it the accusations of the priests, or a desire to receive light from Christ, that prompted Pilate's question? Pilate understood Christ's meaning; but pride arose in his heart. He would not acknowledge the conviction that pressed upon him. "Am I a Jew?" he said. "Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered Thee unto me: what hast Thou done?"
     Pilate's golden opportunity had passed. Yet Jesus did not leave him without further light. While He did not directly answer Pilate's question, He plainly stated His own mission. He gave Pilate to understand that He was not seeking an earthly throne.
     "My kingdom is not of this world," He said; "if My kingdom were of this world, then would My servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is My kingdom not from hence. Pilate therefore said unto Him, Art Thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Everyone that is of the truth heareth My voice."
     Christ affirmed that His word was in itself a key which would unlock the mystery to those who were prepared to receive it. It had a self-commending power, and this was the secret of the spread of His kingdom of truth. He desired Pilate to understand that only by receiving and appropriating truth could his ruined nature be reconstructed.   
     Pilate had a desire to know the truth. His mind was confused. He eagerly grasped the words of the Saviour, and his heart was stirred with a great longing to know what it really was, and how he could obtain it. "What is truth?" he inquired. But he did not wait for an answer. The tumult outside recalled him to the interests of the hour; for the priests were clamorous for immediate action. Going out to the Jews, he declared emphatically, "I find in Him no fault at all."   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.