Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--76--Judas  (Read 12690 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--76--Judas
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »
As we behold the loveliness of Jesus, in the unfolding of the great controversy between Christ and Satan we are also brought face-to-face with the manner in which each being is developing a character after the similitude of either Christ or Satan.

"The history of Judas presents the sad ending of a life that might have been honored of God. Had Judas died before his last journey to Jerusalem he would have been regarded as a man worthy of a place among the twelve, and one who would be greatly missed. The abhorrence which has followed him through the centuries would not have existed but for the attributes revealed at the close of his history. But it was for a purpose that his character was laid open to the world. It was to be a warning to all who, like him, should betray sacred trusts." {The Desire of Ages, page 716, paragraph 1}

As I read this in my devotions this morning, I was impressed by the correlation between God's dealing with Lucifer (who became Satan) and Judas (a professed disciple who became His betrayer). Judas' exposure right before the cross was for a purpose--that those who had been deceived by his pretensions to righteousness might know and understand hist true character. So it is with Lucifer--but since his deceptions were more deep-rooted, more time was needed for his exposure. If God would have destroyed Satan at the cross, it would have been just, but the clear picture of Satan's character was not fully unveiled with a clear understanding to all. That is why we further read in The Desire of Ages this profound statement:

"Satan saw that his disguise was torn away. His administration was laid open before the unfallen angels and before the heavenly universe. He had revealed himself as a murderer. By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings. Henceforth his work was restricted. Whatever attitude he might assume, he could no longer await the angels as they came from the heavenly courts, and before them accuse Christ's brethren of being clothed with the garments of blackness and the defilement of sin. The last link of sympathy between Satan and the heavenly world was broken." {The Desire of Ages, page 761, paragraph 2}

"Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve." {The Desire of Ages, page 761, paragraph 3}

It is striking that at the cross, while the sympathy that heaven had for Satan was broken, the clear understanding of all that was involved in the controversy was not yet clear. And that is certainly true for humanity. We have been deceived. Our hope of salvation is rooted in beholding God's amazing grace, the loveliness of Jesus, the unmerited favor of our Father who would send His Son to die for us at such a fearful risk of failure and eternal loss! Wondrous love!! By beholding His love we are drawn to Him, our hearts are softened and subdued, and we are enabled to confess our sins through sincere repentance and receive a new nature, even the divine nature by a living-faith surrender to Christ moment-by-moment!

May we realize that even now, Satan's character is being more fully exposed. We can help expedite the closure of the great controversy by daily spending a "thoughtful hour" upon the life and lessons of Jesus, especially the closing scenes, and while Judas' life is a sad ending, it is a clear warning to us of the power of sin to destroy a soul if sin is not resolutely repented of and forsaken. Our only hope is in a knowledge of God, for to love Him is to know Him, and through an appreciation of His character, by communion with Christ, sin will become hateful to us!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 06:27:47 AM »
Judas was blinded to his own weakness of character, and Christ placed him where he would have an opportunity to see and correct this.

Thank the good Lord that He does this with all of us. If we desire to become more like Christ then we will have to be in different positions to see what needs to be chiseled away from our character. A painful process indeed. To borrow a worldly phrase... "no pain no gain".  Which reminds of this...

Let no one say, I cannot remedy my defects of character. If you come to this decision, you will certainly fail of obtaining everlasting life. The impossibility lies in your own will. If you will not, then you can not overcome. The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God. {COL 331.2}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 07:28:47 AM »
Amen Jim!  Jesus loves us, not after we are converted, but before, while we were yet sinners. He suffered that we might live. I noticed a word in today's reading, I have not paid attention in the past. Tenderly.

He tenderly included Judas in the ministry to the disciples. But the last appeal of love was unheeded. Then the case of Judas was decided, and the feet that Jesus had washed went forth to the betrayer's work. 

How very sad!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 03:05:28 PM »
Judas was a highly-respected disciple in the early part of Christ's life and ministry. But he had a heart problem. He had never been converted, for conversion is the result of surrendering fully to Christ. We can follow Christ like Judas did, and resist the Holy Spirit who calls us to daily death to our old nature and a laying hold of the divine nature; but if we continue in sin (for such a resistance to fully surrender is really living in sin), then we see the result in Judas. As he saw what his betrayal of Christ did (from which he expected Christ to easily extricate himself), Judas could not bear the terror of his guilty conscience and went and hanged himself. It is a solemn warning to us of the danger of tampering with any known sin, and failing to avail ourselves of the infinite grace of God as manifest in the loveliness of Jesus. Let us surrender the heart fully for Christ to live in us as an abiding guest, and then the Holy Spirit will transform our character from the inside out, whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing, so we can moment-by-moment be living up gladly to all the light of God's law and truth that we know!

"Judas had joined the disciples when multitudes were following Christ. The Saviour's teaching moved their hearts as they hung entranced upon His words, spoken in the synagogue, by the seaside, upon the mount. Judas saw the sick, the lame, the blind, flock to Jesus from the towns and cities. He saw the dying laid at His feet. He witnessed the Saviour's mighty works in healing the sick, casting out devils, and raising the dead. He felt in his own person the evidence of Christ's power. He recognized the teaching of Christ as superior to all that he had ever heard. He loved the Great Teacher, and desired to be with Him. He felt a desire to be changed in character and life, and he hoped to experience this through connecting himself with Jesus. The Saviour did not repulse Judas. He gave him a place among the twelve. He trusted him to do the work of an evangelist. He endowed him with power to heal the sick and to cast out devils. But Judas did not come to the point of surrendering himself fully to Christ. He did not give up his worldly ambition or his love of money. While he accepted the position of a minister of Christ, he did not bring himself under the divine molding. He felt that he could retain his own judgment and opinions, and he cultivated a disposition to criticize and accuse." {The Desire of Ages, page 716, paragraph 4}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2018, 02:35:23 AM »
This Sabbath as two of the churches I pastor in Michigan will experience the Communion Service, I am brought to reflect upon how the spiritual lesson of the bread of life, which represents Christ to us, was Judas' turning point. As we behold the infinite cost of our salvation in Christ, the infinite love of God for a perishing world, and the spiritual life that we are to receive from His word, may our hearts not be turned from Christ when we realize He came to give us spiritual rather than temporal good. All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as the life reveals the obedience of Christ (the evidence of conversion) is of far greater value than anything this world offers. The things of this life are but as nothingness in comparison to the exceedingly beautiful loveliness of Jesus' character. But we are to behold Him by faith. Judas was with Jesus for over three years, but his character was unchanged. Why? He did not choose to place His will on the side of Christ, and cooperate with the grace of God that would have totally transformed his character. Without a vital connection to Christ by a full-heart surrender, we too, apart from Christ, will inevitably long for and seek what perishes, rather than the enduring nature of the kingdom of God. The result is before us; Judas died a lost man, even though the Lord of glory stooped to washed his feet and offered him every incentive to turn from his selfish, willful purpose. Judas' lostness and baseness are placed on record to warn us of the danger of seeking our own will over the will of God, of choosing our way rather than humbly being surrendered and yielding to the way God leads. Entire surrender is the substance of Christ's teaching and the lesson learned by means of warning from the life history of Judas.

"Christ's discourse in the synagogue concerning the bread of life was the turning point in the history of Judas. He heard the words, 'Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you.' John 6:53. He saw that Christ was offering spiritual rather than worldly good. He regarded himself as farsighted, and thought he could see that Jesus would have no honor, and that He could bestow no high position upon His followers. He determined not to unite himself so closely to Christ but that he could draw away. He would watch. And he did watch." {The Desire of Ages, page 719, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 05:52:59 AM »
The chapter on Judas has brought great calm to my soul and deeper love for Jesus today. As I read how patient and protective of Judas Jesus was and even though knowing his heart He still gave him a place among the disciples. He gave him power to heal the sick and cast out demons.

How many times have I been a Judas, trying to rush the Lord along in areas I feel should not be let go. It's so easy to rush ahead or lag behind the working of the Holy Spirit. As I give my heart anew this morning to the One who knows and sees everything I pray that I will be focusing on Jesus and how He dealt with people.

"The Saviour did not repulse Judas. He gave him a place among the twelve. He trusted him to do the work of an evangelist. He endowed him with power to heal the sick and to cast out devils. But Judas did not come to the point of surrendering himself fully to Christ. He did not give up his worldly ambition or his love of money. While he accepted the position of a minister of Christ, he did not bring himself under the divine molding. He felt that he could retain his own judgment and opinions, and he cultivated a disposition to criticize and accuse."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 12:29:26 PM »
Amen and amen!!  Until we see that there is no good in us apart from Christ, we don't see the need to go all the way in dying to self. A part of the heart, Jesus may have, but not those areas we want to hang onto. We are taught that it is a progressive conversion and God allows us to hold onto sin as we attempt to get rid of it. This is true in that we are given a period of probation to overcome sin. But, it does not happen after conversion unless we fall from grace. If we are converted, then Jesus sits on the throne of the heart. It is a new heart and a new mind where the Holy Spirit dwells in us while we retain our sinful flesh. Sinful flesh is no excuse for sin, for when the Spirit is in the heart, we have power to keep the flesh (body) under as Paul put it, let we be castaways. If we do not resist the temptation to sin, it becomes easier and easier to sin until we no longer can resist.

Yet Judas made no open opposition, nor seemed to question the Saviour's lessons. He made no outward murmur until the time of the feast in Simon's house. When Mary anointed the Saviour's feet, Judas manifested his covetous disposition. At the reproof from Jesus his very spirit seemed turned to gall. Wounded pride and desire for revenge broke down the barriers, and the greed so long indulged held him in control. This will be the experience of everyone who persists in tampering with sin. The elements of depravity that are not resisted and overcome, respond to Satan's temptation, and the soul is led captive at his will. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 02:31:19 AM »
God is no respecter of persons. This morning I was reading James 2 about how we are to treat people impartially, and not have the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ "with respect of persons" (James 2:1). It is striking that Jesus Himself exemplified this in His treatment of Judas. Jesus did not repulse Judas from being one of the twelve, but Jesus did not change His principles to accommodate Judas' worldly and covetous aspirations. God does not change. He does not accommodate His work to allow us to retain our sins if were are really desirous to know and to do His will. I am thankful that the method Christ used with Judas--if we yield the whole heart to Christ (which Judas did not) will be a means of saving us from ourselves.

"Judas was blinded to his own weakness of character, and Christ placed him where he would have an opportunity to see and correct this." {The Desire of Ages, page 717, paragraph 2}

As God places us in opportunities to serve Him, we are brought to see our sinfulness and our need of His cleansing grace. But like Judas, there is ever a choice. We are never forced to yield to Christ the whole heart so He can convert us and make us partakers of the divine nature whereby we are filled with all of the fruits of the Sprit without one missing. But unless we do yield completely to Christ, our end will be in some degree parallel to Judas--we will be lost when Christ has done all that He could do with gracious impartial love to save us from our weak selves. I choose to respond fully to Jesus as He shows me my need--will you join me in this blessed surrender?

Dorine

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 06:15:27 AM »
"Christ's discourse in the synagogue concerning the bread of life was the turning point in the history of Judas. He heard the words, "Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you." John 6:53. He saw that Christ was offering spiritual rather than worldly good. He regarded himself as farsighted, and thought he could see that Jesus would have no honor, and that He could bestow no high position upon His followers. He determined not to unite himself so closely to Christ but that he could draw away. He would watch. And he did watch."

We are given warnings for our protection. We are very subject to the same temptations that Judas was silently allowing to control him. The carnal nature wants to be in charge and when we are not surrendered to Christ we will place ourselves above Him. To be spiritually minded we must be humble servants surrendered to the will of God; revealing those traits of character that the bible calls the fruit of the spirit.

I'm always amazed at how Jesus knowing Judas' heart said nothing to him but gave him the opportunity to make things right. God is so gentle and kind even when our hearts are not where they should be. Not condoning but directing our paths in ways that will bring us face to face with our condition. Are we willing to learn the lessons Jesus puts forth for us chapter after chapter through this beautifully inspired book?   
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 09:12:34 PM »
Amen!  So many lessons from the life and death of Judas. Not the least of which is the love shown by Christ to him who He knew was a traitor. But, we cannot stop there. Ought not the conferences charged with the responsibility for selecting pastors make sure that they do not allow a Judas into the ministry? But, wait, is not the example set by Christ one for us to follow? Ought not we allow decoys into the ministry? I had a conference president who became a division president point out Christ allowing Judas into ministry as an example we are to follow. No, it is not. Jesus was placed in a difficult position and it was best that he allow Judas into His inner circle. But, did He not try to discourage him? He did. Then why did He allow Judas to stay?

What happens when a decoy is brought into church membership, or worse into the ministry? Satan has a channel to influence not only laity, but church pastors and leaders. How bad is this? Let's take a look at what happened with Judas.

Judas was continually advancing the idea that Christ would reign as king in Jerusalem.

He knew that this was not true. Jesus often said that His kingdom was not of this world. Then why did not Judas accept this?

Christ's oft-repeated statement that His kingdom was not of this world offended Judas.

Why? Because Judas was not looking for something later not of this world. He was living for the moment and associated himself with Jesus in hopes of benefiting in this world. He understood that Jesus' was a spiritual kingdom.

He saw that Christ was offering spiritual rather than worldly good. He regarded himself as farsighted, and thought he could see that Jesus would have no honor, and that He could bestow no high position upon His followers.

What did Satan do through this decoy?

Since Satan was working through Judas, it does not surprise us that Judas followed the same manner as did Lucifer in heaven.

He introduced controversies and misleading sentiments, repeating the arguments urged by the scribes and Pharisees against the claims of Christ. All the little and large troubles and crosses, the difficulties and the apparent hindrances to the advancement of the gospel, Judas interpreted as evidences against its truthfulness. He would introduce texts of Scripture that had no connection with the truths Christ was presenting. These texts, separated from their connection, perplexed the disciples, and increased the discouragement that was constantly pressing upon them.

And, we have similar such situations in the ministry today. Unconverted ministers are open to the leading of Satan's efforts to pervert the important truths for our time. So many both in and out of the ministry fail to understand what is happening around them, or how Satan is using them.

All this was done by Judas in such a way as to make it appear that he was conscientious. And while the disciples were searching for evidence to confirm the words of the Great Teacher, Judas would lead them almost imperceptibly on another track. Thus in a very religious, and apparently wise, way he was presenting matters in a different light from that in which Jesus had given them, and attaching to His words a meaning that He had not conveyed. His suggestions were constantly exciting an ambitious desire for temporal preferment, and thus turning the disciples from the important things they should have considered. The dissension as to which of them should be greatest was generally excited by Judas.

How very sad that we see this in the church today. Let's make sure our hearts are fully given to Christ, that we not be channels of evil to mislead others.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 05:31:34 AM »
There are many lessons to gather from the experience of Judas. One that stands out to me this morning is how important it is to accept the teachings of Jesus as He gives them, and not cling to our own selfish desires that conflict with His will. Judas did not come to the point of ever fully surrendering himself to Christ. He missed the fullness of love, joy and peace that is the result of true conversion (for all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing are manifest in the life that is fully surrendered to Christ, living by faith on Him), and instead Judas tried to maintain his own plans and theology. May we learn how much we need Jesus to cleanse our hearts and minds from all desires that are not in harmony with His word, behold Jesus' loveliness of character that we may yield fully to Him, and experience the converting grace of God that gives us new hearts and minds enabled to trust Him even when we are not seeing the whole picture at the time.

"Notwithstanding the Saviour's own teaching, Judas was continually advancing the idea that Christ would reign as king in Jerusalem. At the feeding of the five thousand he tried to bring this about. On this occasion Judas assisted in distributing the food to the hungry multitude. He had an opportunity to see the benefit which it was in his power to impart to others. He felt the satisfaction that always comes in service to God. He helped to bring the sick and suffering from among the multitude to Christ. He saw what relief, what joy and gladness, come to human hearts through the healing power of the Restorer. He might have comprehended the methods of Christ. But he was blinded by his own selfish desires. Judas was first to take advantage of the enthusiasm excited by the miracle of the loaves. It was he who set on foot the project to take Christ by force and make Him king. His hopes were high. His disappointment was bitter." {The Desire of Ages, page 718, paragraph 2}

The higher our own selfish hopes, the more bitter the disappointment that comes when Christ leads in another way. Let us have our hopes and desires wrapped up in His word, His will, and His plans, and, yielding fully to Christ, have that calm inward joy which is the fruit of Christ's abiding presence. Christ's presence alone can truly make us happy, and how wonderful it is to learn from Judas' experience not to determinedly go our own way at the loss of our soul. Christ did all that He could to save Judas, and it shows us that He loves all and wants to save all--but the choice remains with us if we will yield to the wonderful love that is drawing us moment-by-moment to see and feel our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing.

Dorine

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 05:41:16 AM »
"When Mary anointed the Saviour's feet, Judas manifested his covetous disposition. At the reproof from Jesus his very spirit seemed turned to gall. Wounded pride and desire for revenge broke down the barriers, and the greed so long indulged held him in control. This will be the experience of everyone who persists in tampering with sin. The elements of depravity that are not resisted and overcome, respond to Satan's temptation, and the soul is led captive at his will."

We see in this chapter the seriousness of tampering with sin. Judas had so much potential if only he would submit to Jesus. We are in the same danger as Judas when we think our way is just as good or better. Sin has such a captivating quality about it. It feeds the ego and leads a person deeper into sin. In thinking he would help Jesus out Judas was actually "giving Christ up to death".  He may have thought his motives were good ones but Jesus understood their true nature. Again I'm awed by the loving patience of Jesus.  He has left us a treasure house of instruction in the bible and SOP. We will be held accountable for this information more than anyone else. Especially if our bookshelves are full of these precious volumes  but are used as ornaments to be dusted once in awhile.

Beacon

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:10 AM »
  Amen Pastor Sean & Dorine

"The history of Judas presents the sad ending of a life that might have been honored of God. Had Judas died before his last journey to Jerusalem he would have been regarded as a man worthy of a place among the twelve, and one who would be greatly missed. The abhorrence which has followed him through the centuries would not have existed but for the attributes revealed at the close of his history. But it was for a purpose that his character was laid open to the world. It was to be a warning to all who, like him, should betray sacred trusts." 

Are "WE"  heeding the warnings given to us by the Holy Spirit about things in our lives that need to be FULLY surrenderd??

"A little before the Passover, Judas had renewed his contract with the priests to deliver Jesus into their hands. Then it was arranged that the Saviour should be taken at one of His resorts for meditation and prayer. Since the feast at the house of Simon, Judas had had opportunity to reflect upon the deed which he had covenanted to perform, but his purpose was unchanged. For thirty pieces of silver--the price of a slave--he sold the Lord of glory to ignominy and death."

When we reject the calling of the Holy Spirit. When we see and know that we are on the wrong road, going the wrong way , and do not fall on our knees asking for forgiveness and cleansing. We become inured, hardened, and the voice pleading with us becomes fainter with each rejection. 

"Judas had naturally a strong love for money; but he had not always been corrupt enough to do such a deed as this. He had fostered the evil spirit of avarice until it had become the ruling motive of his life. The love of mammon overbalanced his love for Christ. Through becoming the slave of one vice he gave himself to Satan, to be driven to any lengths in sin."

May we be willing to learn from this lesson how dangerous it is reject the pleadings of the Holy Spirit in our lives, for if we do, then we too may at some point say...It's too late --- It's too late. The Bible says..." Choose ye this day whom ye will serve" the invitation made possible by the death of Jesus on the cross of Calvary is still sounding around the world. The door of mercy and grace is still open. Let us come to Jesus in full surrender and He will in-power us to change before it's too late.

Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 09:18:42 AM »
What brilliant light we are given! God does not leave us to think all is well when all is not well with our souls. To man is given a period of probation that he might learn of his continual need of Christ in order to do any good thing. As I read this morning my mind was led to the life of Daniel, especially when he fell on his face when approached by Gabriel. "Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength."

Why would Daniel be found in such a manner since he was faithful to the Lord? Because he knew who he was apart from Christ. He knew that he was an evil man in evil flesh and his only hope was in Christ. We have so much truth before us that we might know our need. Moses at the end of his life forgot Christ and struck the Rock with pride and anger. It was not premeditated nor wilful, but it was a revelation of who Moses was when not abiding in Christ. What sorrow filled his heart when realiality came home to his heart. When the Spirit opened his mind to his sin, Moses' repentance was quick and deep.

So, we have time to learn of our continual need of Jesus, but how many understand this? Israel was deceived, so it is today. Many think they are just fine when in fact they are miserable, wretched, poor, blind, and naked. What a tragic situation exists in the church today. But, Jesus knows it and has given us warning in the third chapter of the Book of Revelation. What is the message we find in the life and death of Judas? It is the warning given to us in this chapter. Judas was given warning, and he rejected the warnings. So it will be today. Many are called, but few will choose to follow Jesus. It requires giving up our pride and making sacrifices for others. This is very hard to do. The truth is that it is impossible to do without the power of God. And, it requires that we learn to trust Him who gave all that we might know Him and love Him supremely.  If we will seek Him, we shall find Him. We will love Him who first loved us while we were yet sinners.

When we know Jesus as it is our privilege to know Him, we will love Him and our life will be victorious over sin. But, first we need to learn of ourselves. Who are we? Have we been instructed that we are good apart from Christ, that we can do good before being converted? That we can obey before being converted? That we can do good when we take our eyes off of Christ? That we have life when sinning known sin? If we believe such things then we must not need Jesus all the time. Are we blinded to our defects of character? Do we continue on in life paying no attention to our weaknesses? Judas did.

Judas was blinded to his own weakness of character, and Christ placed him where he would have an opportunity to see and correct this. As treasurer for the disciples, he was called upon to provide for the needs of the little company, and to relieve the necessities of the poor. When in the Passover chamber Jesus said to him, "That thou doest, do quickly" (John 13:27), the disciples thought He had bidden him buy what was needed for the feast, or give something to the poor. In ministering to others, Judas might have developed an unselfish spirit. But while listening daily to the lessons of Christ and witnessing His unselfish life, Judas indulged his covetous disposition. The small sums that came into his hands were a continual temptation. Often when he did a little service for Christ, or devoted time to religious purposes, he paid himself out of this meager fund. In his own eyes these pretexts served to excuse his action; but in God's sight he was a thief.

Marelis

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7yFeFD95cM

Michael Card's song comes to mind.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 07:58:12 PM »
Very nice.

Beacon

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 08:02:14 PM »
The history of Judas presents the sad ending of a life that might have been honored of God. Had Judas died before his last journey to Jerusalem he would have been regarded as a man worthy of a place among the twelve, and one who would be greatly missed. The abhorrence which has followed him through the centuries would not have existed but for the attributes revealed at the close of his history. But it was for a purpose that his character was laid open to the world. It was to be a warning to all who, like him, should betray sacred trusts. 

Once again I'm impressed with the need we individually have for a daily "full surrender to Jesus." If we are cherishing just one sin which we refuse to give up, we will end up like Judas. It's like not taking care of a physical sickness when some part of our body is diseased. The longer we wait to remove that part, the higher our risk of it taking over our whole body resulting in our physical death. The Bible says in Matthew 16:26, For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? Jesus paid the awful price of sin for us but it is of no value unless to do our part by surrendering daily to Him to be empowered by the Holy Spirit to live the Christian life and by our example draw others to our Lord & Saviour. Let us pray and ask Jesus to help us let go of things of this world which are so evil and so temporary and exchange them for that which will result in bringing glory to Jesus and eternal life to us.

"Judas had naturally a strong love for money; but he had not always been corrupt enough to do such a deed as this. He had fostered the evil spirit of avarice until it had become the ruling motive of his life. The love of mammon overbalanced his love for Christ. Through becoming the slave of one vice he gave himself to Satan, to be driven to any lengths in sin."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 05:19:14 AM »
How very sad!  The lesson I take away from this is that our outward actions, words and deeds do not always reveal the intent of the heart. Judas' repentance was not a repentance not to be repented of (2 Cor. 7:10). He was truly sorry for having sold His Savior for 30 pieces of silver. But, His repentance was the kind that needed to be repented of. For it was not from a heart of love, but it came from a selfish heart fearing the judgment of God. He was sorry for what was coming to him. If he could change what he had done, he would, but for the wrong reason.

"I have sinned," again cried Judas, "in that I have betrayed the innocent blood." But the high priest, regaining his self-possession, answered with scorn, "What is that to us? see thou to that." Matthew 27:4. The priests had been willing to make Judas their tool; but they despised his baseness. When he turned to them with confession, they spurned him.
     Judas now cast himself at the feet of Jesus, acknowledging Him to be the Son of God, and entreating Him to deliver Himself. The Saviour did not reproach His betrayer. He knew that Judas did not repent; his confession was forced from his guilty soul by an awful sense of condemnation and a looking for of judgment, but he felt no deep, heartbreaking grief that he had betrayed the spotless Son of God, and denied the Holy One of Israel. Yet Jesus spoke no word of condemnation. He looked pityingly upon Judas, and said, For this hour came I into the world.

Today is the day of salvation. Today we still have a Mediator that will bring us to repentance, a repentance not to be repented of. Jesus loved Judas and did all He could to save Him. So He has done and is doing for us. Do we love Him supremely? If not, then we need to spend more time with Him that we might know Him better. When we know Him, we shall love Him and by beholding His love (grace), we shall be transformed in character. The heart will be cleansed white as snow.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 08:26:18 AM »
Amen, Brothers Beacon and Richard!

We can learn a valuable lesson from the life history of Judas--and that is when it comes to thinking that we know better than God or have our own plans and ways that we are unwilling to surrender. Judas believed Jesus was the Messiah, but he was not willing to accept Christ's own revelation of what His kingdom and character would be. Had Judas fully surrendered his heart to Christ, and been open and teachable, how different his life history might have been!

"Notwithstanding the Saviour's own teaching, Judas was continually advancing the idea that Christ would reign as king in Jerusalem. At the feeding of the five thousand he tried to bring this about. On this occasion Judas assisted in distributing the food to the hungry multitude. He had an opportunity to see the benefit which it was in his power to impart to others. He felt the satisfaction that always comes in service to God. He helped to bring the sick and suffering from among the multitude to Christ. He saw what relief, what joy and gladness, come to human hearts through the healing power of the Restorer. He might have comprehended the methods of Christ. But he was blinded by his own selfish desires. Judas was first to take advantage of the enthusiasm excited by the miracle of the loaves. It was he who set on foot the project to take Christ by force and make Him king. His hopes were high. His disappointment was bitter." (The Desire of Ages, page 718, paragraph 2}

There is such an important lesson here. Judas enjoyed how he felt when he was in God's service--but selfish desires blinded him and proved his ruin. Jesus lovingly shows us our deep need of a full surrender--and only when we are abiding in Christ by a living faith surrender will all of the fruits of the Spirit be manifest in our lives without one missing. Only then can we overcome the deceptive selfish desires that would cloud and blind our understanding, because we are humble and teachable in the hands of Jesus!

Beacon

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 07:28:19 PM »
"While the disciples were searching for evidence to confirm the words of the Great Teacher, Judas would lead them almost imperceptibly on another track. Thus in a very religious, and apparently wise, way he was presenting matters in a different light from that in which Jesus had given them, and attaching to His words a meaning that He had not conveyed. His suggestions were constantly exciting an ambitious desire for temporal preferment, and thus turning the disciples from the important things they should have considered. The dissension as to which of them should be greatest was generally excited by Judas."

Sadly, I must say, that like Judas, there are those among God's people today who are verily "Leading God's Remnant people in an almost imperceptible track that leads to a turning away from the important things we should be considering...attaching to the words of Jesus a meaning that He had not conveyed." Notice that this was done, ( and is being done ) " in a very religious, and apparently wise way but results in a different light being presented." It is therefore urgent for all of us to be unreservedly surrendered to Jesus and to be pleading for the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit. Claim the promise with an open willing heart ..." Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. " John 8:32