Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--75--Before Annas and the Court of Caiaphas  (Read 17595 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--75--Before Annas and the Court of Caiaphas
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2021, 07:57:44 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!

Wide awake, praying, and beholding Jesus is how our Heavenly Father would have us be living as we approach the final events of the last days. Peter's fall and failure to watch and pray in the garden is left on record to help us to navigate away from the condition that led him to deny Jesus. We are nearing the heavenly home, but the great storm of temptations climaxing in the time of trouble will grow more intense to prove to the universe that God's grace is powerful enough to produce and sustain His people who profit from His word and choose to be continual partakers of the divine nature, thus manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in obedience to God's law of love even when Christ's mediation in the heavenly sanctuary comes to a close! This is so Christ may come to take us home to heaven as He is our conquering King! Let us heed the lesson: "Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is" (Mark 13:33).

"It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained a great loss. Christ knew the fiery ordeal through which they were to pass. He knew how Satan would work to paralyze their senses that they might be unready for the trial. Therefore it was that He gave them warning. Had those hours in the garden been spent in watching and prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength. He would not have denied his Lord. Had the disciples watched with Christ in His agony, they would have been prepared to behold His suffering upon the cross. They would have understood in some degree the nature of His overpowering anguish. They would have been able to recall His words that foretold His sufferings, His death, and His resurrection. Amid the gloom of the most trying hour, some rays of hope would have lighted up the darkness and sustained their faith." {The Desire of Ages, page 713, paragraph 4}

Unlike Peter who had a "second chance" after denying Jesus, there will not be a "second chance" during time of trouble when probation has closed for the world, and the final declaration is made: "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still" (Revelation 22:11). Thankfully, God is giving us the "second chance" now to learn wherein we fail, and then guard ourselves, overcoming by the grace of Christ through the blood of the Lamb and by the word of the testimony entrusted to us! This is the grand finale of the universe, so let us be all we can possibly be for the glory of God because Jesus suffered so much for us to make us one with Him and enjoy Him forever!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2021, 08:21:28 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean as I read these words this morning the same thoughts entered my mind. We need to pray and study, and witness that we may be ready to stand in the last days.

By rending his garments, Caiaphas made of no effect the law of God, to follow the tradition of men. A man-made law provided that in case of blasphemy a priest might rend his garments in horror at the sin, and be guiltless. Thus the law of God was made void by the laws of men.
     Each action of the high priest was watched with interest by the people; and Caiaphas thought for effect to display his piety. But in this act, designed as an accusation against Christ, he was reviling the One of whom God had said, "My name is in Him." Exodus 23:21. He himself was committing blasphemy. Standing under the condemnation of God, he pronounced sentence upon Christ as a blasphemer.   

Today this is a warning for God's people, when we choose to follow the traditions of man rather than the law of God we are separating ourselves from God.  " Each action of the high priest was watched with interest by the people;".  so today each action of God's people are watched my those around them as were Caiaphas's and we may think we are doing God's will while in effect we give a  false witness, thus the need for prayer, and study of the written word, that our actions, and words give ture witness to God's  love and law.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »
Yes indeed, the end of all things is upon us. Good is called evil and evil good. Don't look to man for help, look to God. As Pastor Sean and Brother Philip point out, second chances are running out.

What caused me sorrow in reading today is the pain Peter had caused Jesus. But, not that pain, but mine that help put Jesus 0n the cross. All might offend Jesus, but not me!!  Well.....as Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon have shared, like the disciples have we failed to be faithful witnesses? It hurts to consider that like Peter I have allowed my mind to wander away from Jesus and thus brought reproach upon Jesus. Shall we learn the lesson today? It is indeed necessary to watch and pray in order to cease hurting Jesus. Do we hate sin enough to quit sinning?

Look around at the world. America is no longer a Protestant nation. It is the world against Christ. Whose side are we on? Let us keep in mind what Christ has done for us.

Peter now denied his Master with cursing and swearing. Again the cock crew. Peter heard it then, and he remembered the words of Jesus, "Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny Me thrice." Mark 14:30.
     While the degrading oaths were fresh upon Peter's lips, and the shrill crowing of the cock was still ringing in his ears, the Saviour turned from the frowning judges, and looked full upon His poor disciple. At the same time Peter's eyes were drawn to his Master. In that gentle countenance he read deep pity and sorrow, but there was no anger there.
     The sight of that pale, suffering face, those quivering lips, that look of compassion and forgiveness, pierced his heart like an arrow. Conscience was aroused. Memory was active. Peter called to mind his promise of a few short hours before that he would go with his Lord to prison and to death. He remembered his grief when the Saviour told him in the upper chamber that he would deny his Lord thrice that same night. Peter had just declared that he knew not Jesus, but he now realized with bitter grief how well his Lord knew him, and how accurately He had read his heart, the falseness of which was unknown even to himself.   
     A tide of memories rushed over him. The Saviour's tender mercy, His kindness and long-suffering, His gentleness and patience toward His erring disciples,--all was remembered. He recalled the caution, "Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: but I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not." Luke 22:31, 32. He reflected with horror upon his own ingratitude, his falsehood, his perjury. Once more he looked at his Master, and saw a sacrilegious hand raised to smite Him in the face. Unable longer to endure the scene, he rushed, heartbroken, from the hall.   
     He pressed on in solitude and darkness, he knew not and cared not whither. At last he found himself in Gethsemane. The scene of a few hours before came vividly to his mind. The suffering face of his Lord, stained with bloody sweat and convulsed with anguish, rose before him. He remembered with bitter remorse that Jesus had wept and agonized in prayer alone, while those who should have united with Him in that trying hour were sleeping. He remembered His solemn charge, "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation." Matthew 26:41. He witnessed again the scene in the judgment hall. It was torture to his bleeding heart to know that he had added the heaviest burden to the Saviour's humiliation and grief. On the very spot where Jesus had poured out His soul in agony to His Father, Peter fell upon his face, and wished that he might die.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2021, 04:58:34 AM »
When under trial, how did Jesus respond?

"Christ calmly replied, 'If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou Me?' He spoke no burning words of retaliation. His calm answer came from a heart sinless, patient, and gentle, that would not be provoked." {The Desire of Ages, page 700, paragraph 2}

Christ is our Pattern for how we are to act when persecuted for doing the will of God. His sinless character manifesting all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing He will gladly live out in and through us as we accept His atoning blood to cleanse us from sin and allow Him to keep us in constant union and communion with God even in circumstances the most trying! May we let Jesus shine through us today!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2021, 06:17:53 AM »
"Priests and rulers forgot the dignity of their office, and abused the Son of God with foul epithets. They taunted Him with His parentage. They declared that His presumption in proclaiming Himself the Messiah made Him deserving of the most ignominious death. The most dissolute men engaged in infamous abuse of the Saviour. An old garment was thrown over His head, and His persecutors struck Him in the face, saying, "Prophesy unto us, Thou Christ, Who is he that smote Thee?" When the garment was removed, one poor wretch spat in His face.    

The angels of God faithfully recorded every insulting look, word, and act against their beloved Commander. One day the base men who scorned and spat upon the calm, pale face of Christ will look upon it in its glory, shining brighter than the sun."

How do you grasp such love? How do you find words to describe the effects it has on the heart? It's deep, it's convicting. As my minds eye looks into the face of Jesus that Peter saw I am overwhelmed with grief that my sins added to His suffering and put Jesus on that cross. But then I see the look of love and forgiveness and pity and I know that my sins are forgiven because I have surrendered all to Him. Amazing Grace!
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2021, 07:13:16 AM »
"Had those hours in the garden been spent in Watching and Prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength.

"He would not have denied his Lord..."

What a "STRONG WARNING" this should be to each of us! How much time do we spend " In Watching & Prayer" ?  Are God's people of this generation ( you & I ) going to be prepared? or will we deny Jesus when our turn comes to stand trial for our faith? How much time are we spending with Jesus every day?  Once Again this small but very important principle come into focus.."HE WHO FAILS TO PREPARE - PREPARES TO FAIL".

How Thankful we should be that Jesus " Paid it All " But what will "our" choice be?

" I hear the Savior say,
"Thy strength indeed is small,
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all."

Refrain:
Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

( Author - Alvina M. Hall )
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2021, 07:41:43 AM »
I am so very thankful today! As we behold the grace of God being extended to those who hurt our Lord, we love Him the more.  Oh, how very sad to see the same actors in His is church today. We have much to say, but we do not, for most cannot bear to hear it. We, like Jesus, have to be very careful as to what we teach. The truth will bring forth anger in many hearts. It crosses what they hold to be truth because it does not agree with thier experience.

Jesus found those who after a long while we're able to accept the cross before the crown. So it is today in the church. There are some who are slow to learn but are willing to bear with our efforts to share the truth. I Rejoice today to see how deeply my friends here, not only have seen the truth, but are openly sharing it. What a joy it is to my heart!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »
Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;

Amen brother Beacon! As Pastor Sean has shared, Jesus wants to cleanse our heart as white as snow. It is called conversion. And then we must die to self daily.

But then I see the look of love and forgiveness and pity and I know that my sins are forgiven because I have surrendered all to Him. Amazing Grace!

Amen Sister Dorine! Amazing Grace indeed!

Philip T

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2021, 08:21:02 AM »
   Peter had not designed that his real character should be known. In assuming an air of indifference he had placed himself on the enemy's ground, and he became an easy prey to temptation. If he had been called to fight for his Master, he would have been a courageous soldier; but when the finger of scorn was pointed at him, he proved himself a coward. Many who do not shrink from active warfare for their Lord are driven by ridicule to deny their faith. By associating with those whom they should avoid, they place themselves in the way of temptation. They invite the enemy to tempt them, and are led to say and do that of which under other circumstances they would never have been guilty. The disciple of Christ who in our day disguises his faith through dread of suffering or reproach denies his Lord as really as did Peter in the judgment hall. [/b]

What a sobering thought this is, we can be active in the work or God, in the front lines of his work, spreading his word, accomplishing his last commission of Math 28, however: if we place ourselves in the way of temptation. We are inviting a direct attack from Satan. When we disguise our faith in God to avoid attack, sulfuring and reproach from those around us we are denying our Savior just as Peter did.  If this happens we like Peter need to confess it to Jesus, and fall on the rock broken.

Beacon

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2021, 05:38:13 AM »
"Had those hours in the garden been spent in Watching and Prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength."

"He would not have denied his Lord..."

What a "STRONG WARNING" this should be to each of us! How much time do we spend " In Watching & Prayer" ?  Are God's people of this generation ( you & I ) going to be prepared? or will we deny Jesus when our turn comes to stand trial for our faith?

How much time are we spending with Jesus every day?  Once Again this small but very important principle comes into focus..

"HE WHO FAILS TO PREPARE - PREPARES TO FAIL".

How Thankful we should be that Jesus " Paid it All " But what will "our" choice be?

" I hear the Savior say,
"Thy strength indeed is small,
Find in Me thine all in all."

Refrain:
Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;

( Author - Alvina M. Hall )

Philip T

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »
Amen Brother Bacon.

He who could have doomed His enemies to death bore with their cruelty. His love for His Father, and His pledge, made from the foundation of the world, to become the Sin Bearer, led Him to endure uncomplainingly the coarse treatment of those He came to save. It was a part of His mission to bear, in His humanity, all the taunts and abuse that men could heap upon Him. The only hope of humanity was in this submission of Christ to all that He could endure from the hands and hearts of men.

Through all the pain and cruelty of Christs trial and coming crucifixion, we see His unmeasurable love for us shinning through like beacon from a lighthouse shinning into the darkness to guide ships to safety so Jesus love is poured out on us. What love He has for us. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!

Do you know yourself? Not like Jesus does. Jesus knows you completely (Psalm 139). He foretold that Peter would deny Him, and if Peter had humbly recognized the weakness of his own character, he would have surrendered then and there to Jesus and asked Christ to keep him from such an act of unfaithfulness. May we never think we can do any good thing apart from Jesus. Let us yield fully to Jesus the whole heart so all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing! After Peter had fallen into sin, Jesus drew him to a deeper repentance than he had known or experienced before, and Peter was reconverted. But he had to see his need and the compassion of his Savior in order to be healed from his sin.

"The sight of that pale, suffering face, those quivering lips, that look of compassion and forgiveness, pierced his heart like an arrow. Conscience was aroused. Memory was active. Peter called to mind his promise of a few short hours before that he would go with his Lord to prison and to death. He remembered his grief when the Saviour told him in the upper chamber that he would deny his Lord thrice that same night. Peter had just declared that he knew not Jesus, but he now realized with bitter grief how well his Lord knew him, and how accurately He had read his heart, the falseness of which was unknown even to himself." {The Desire of Ages, page 713, paragraph 1}   

As we recognize that Jesus desires to protect us from going in the way of selfishness and self-destruction, we may find great joy in heeding Christ's warnings and invitations so we may go forth to bless others in true conversion!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2021, 10:15:30 PM »
Amen my dear brothers!! Brother Philip how true that the strong are to bear with the infirmities of the weak.

The angels of heaven witnessed every movement made against their loved Commander. They longed to deliver Christ. Under God the angels are all-powerful. On one occasion, in obedience to the command of Christ, they slew of the Assyrian army in one night one hundred and eighty-five thousand men. How easily could the angels, beholding the shameful scene of the trial of Christ, have testified their indignation by consuming the adversaries of God! But they were not commanded to do this. He who could have doomed His enemies to death bore with their cruelty. His love for His Father, and His pledge, made from the foundation of the world, to become the Sin Bearer, led Him to endure uncomplainingly the coarse treatment of those He came to save. It was a part of His mission to bear, in His humanity, all the taunts and abuse that men could heap upon Him. The only hope of humanity was in this submission of Christ to all that He could endure from the hands and hearts of men. 

Why was it that Jesus endured such hatred?  "His love for His Father, and His pledge, made from the foundation of the world, to become the Sin Bearer, led Him to endure uncomplainingly the coarse treatment of those He came to save." That pledge was the everlasting covenant that promised that we too could become partakers of God's divine nature and hate sin so much we will cease to sin.

Dorine

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2021, 06:43:24 AM »
"It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained a great loss. Christ knew the fiery ordeal through which they were to pass. He knew how Satan would work to paralyze their senses that they might be unready for the trial. Therefore it was that He gave them warning. Had those hours in the garden been spent in watching and prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength. He would not have denied his Lord. Had the disciples watched with Christ in His agony, they would have been prepared to behold His suffering upon the cross. They would have understood in some degree the nature of His overpowering anguish. They would have been able to recall His words that foretold His sufferings, His death, and His resurrection. Amid the gloom of the most trying hour, some rays of hope would have lighted up the darkness and sustained their faith."

The devil loves to make us sleepy when we spend time with Jesus. We must make a decided effort to stay alert. Sometimes it's the position we are in that is too relaxing and encourages a sleepiness to come over us.  Other times we allow our minds to wonder. Whatever method Satan uses we can take it to God and make a decided effort to stay awake. We do not want to miss out on the blessings of strength and courage to make the right decisions for Christ and to stand true to Him at all times.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
"The angels of heaven witnessed every movement made against their loved Commander. They longed to deliver Christ. Under God the angels are all-powerful."

"On one occasion, in obedience to the command of Christ, they slew of the Assyrian army in one night one hundred and eighty-five thousand men. How easily could the angels, beholding the shameful scene of the trial of Christ, have testified their indignation by consuming the adversaries of God!

"But they were not commanded to do this."

"He who could have doomed His enemies to death bore with their cruelty. His love for His Father, and His pledge, made from the foundation of the world, to become the Sin Bearer, led Him to endure uncomplainingly the coarse treatment of those He came to save. It was a part of His mission to bear, in His humanity, all the taunts and abuse that men could heap upon Him.

"The only hope of humanity was in this submission of Christ to all that He could endure from the hands and hearts of men."

Do we really Understand and Appreciate what Jesus went through so that we can have Eternal Life? Let's take time to tell and show Him.

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
  There a precious fountain,
Free to all—a healing stream,
  Flows from Calvary's mountain.
    In the cross, in the cross,
  Be my glory ever;
From the cross my ransomed soul
    Nothing then shall sever.
Near the cross, a trembling soul,
  Love and mercy found me;
There the Bright and Morning Star
  Sheds its beams around me.
Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
  Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
  With its shadow o’er me.
Near the cross I’ll watch and wait,
  Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I see my Savior’s face,
  Leave His presence never.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2021, 09:36:06 PM »
The love of God is everything. It is the foundation of God's government throughout the universe. Satan would divide mercy and justice, either way. But, both are a reflection of God's character. In the church today there is a sentiment that we ought not discuss one's character if it is not good, even if one  is a hypocrite or a killer. But, where does this come from? Not from Scripture. To the contrary, look at the words of Jesus and how He dealt with such characters. Why would Jesus act in such a manner by calling some hypocrites? And, ought we ever speak such things? "There were plenty of witnesses to prove that Christ had denounced the priests and scribes, that He had called them hypocrites and murderers." There is much to learn and even more to develop in our characters that we not bring reproach upon Jesus and His truth.

Caiaphas, perceiving the influence that was obtaining, hastened the trial. The enemies of Jesus were in great perplexity. They were bent on securing His condemnation, but how to accomplish this they knew not. The members of the council were divided between the Pharisees and the Sadducees. There was bitter animosity and controversy between them; certain disputed points they dared not approach for fear of a quarrel. With a few words Jesus could have excited their prejudices against each other, and thus have averted their wrath from Himself. Caiaphas knew this, and he wished to avoid stirring up a contention. There were plenty of witnesses to prove that Christ had denounced the priests and scribes, that He had called them hypocrites and murderers; but this testimony it was not expedient to bring forward. The Sadducees in their sharp contentions with the Pharisees had used to them similar language. And such testimony would have no weight with the Romans, who were themselves disgusted with the pretensions of the Pharisees. There was abundant evidence that Jesus had disregarded the traditions of the Jews, and had spoken irreverently of many of their ordinances; but in regard to tradition the Pharisees and Sadducees were at swords' points; and this evidence also would have no weight with the Romans. Christ's enemies dared not accuse Him of Sabbathbreaking, lest an examination should reveal the character of His work. If His miracles of healing were brought to light, the very object of the priests would be defeated.   

Beacon

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2021, 08:09:11 PM »
"He who could have doomed His enemies to death bore with their cruelty."

"His love for His Father, and His pledge, made from the foundation of the world, to become the Sin Bearer, led Him to endure uncomplainingly the coarse treatment of those He came to save."

"It was a part of His mission to bear, in His humanity, all the taunts and abuse that men could heap upon Him."

"The only hope of humanity....was in this submission of Christ to all that He could endure from the hands and hearts of men."

The Bible says in....1 John 3:1 "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not."

What will we do with Jesus, who says in...Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small,
Find in Me thine all in all.”
    Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Lord, now indeed I find
Thy pow’r, and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots,
And melt the heart of stone.
For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim—
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.
And when, before the throne,
I stand in Him complete,
“Jesus died my soul to save,”
My lips shall still repeat.
"Jesus paid it all."

Lyrics:Elvina Mable Reynolds Hall (1822-1889)
Music:John Thomas Grape (1834-1915)

Dorine

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2021, 05:35:26 AM »
"It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained a great loss. Christ knew the fiery ordeal through which they were to pass. He knew how Satan would work to paralyze their senses that they might be unready for the trial. Therefore it was that He gave them warning".

I've been coming across this warning in several places that I have been reading. We need to be genuinely intentional in our walk with God.

What does it mean to watch?
"Watch lest you should speak hastily, fretfully and impatiently. Watch, lest pride should find a place in your heart. Watch, lest evil passions should overcome you, instead of your subduing them. Watch, lest a careless, indifferent spirit comes upon you, and you neglect our duty and become light and trifling, and your influence savor of death, rather than life.

What about prayer?
"To pray aright is to ask God in faith for the very things you need. Go to your chamber, or in some retired place, and ask your Father for Jesus' sake to help you. There is power in that prayer that is sent up from a heart convinced of its own weakness, yet earnestly longing for the strength that comes from God. The earnest, fervent prayer will be heard and answered. Go to your God who is strong, and who loves to hear children pray, and, although you may feel very weak, and find yourself at times overcome by the enemy, because you have neglected the first command of our Saviour, to watch, yet do not give up the struggle. Make stronger efforts yourself than before. Faint not. Cast yourself at the fee of Jesus, who has been tempted, and knows how to help such as are tempted. Confess your faults, your weakness, and that you must have help to overcome, or you perish. And as you ask, you must believe that God hears you....God will help you. Angels will watch over you....Let this be the language of your heart, "I will not let thee go, except thou bless me."

This is part of a reading taken from the Youth Instructor October 1855 that we had for yesterdays morning worship. It is also found in the devotional book "Lift Him Up" pg. 368. It explains why we fall so many times and where to find the victory. As I read todays reading of why Peter failed so miserably I wanted to share what encouraged my heart this morning.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2021, 07:01:16 AM »
Praise the Lord, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine, for the power God gives us in Christ to overcome!

We are offered a new character in Christ. His calm manner under trial is a promise of what we may be under the most trying and difficult circumstances, when our hearts are fully surrendered to Him and stayed on God!

"Jesus held His peace. 'He was oppressed, and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth: He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so He openeth not His mouth.' Isaiah 53:7." {The Desire of Ages, page 706, paragraph 2}

Let us go forth calm in the times of trial and crisis because we have a living Savior to abide in our hearts! All of the fruits of the Spirit without on missing are the outflow of a living union and communion with Him that leads the converted soul to affectionately obey God up the light He has revealed!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2021, 04:41:14 PM »
Amen! And by His stripes we are healed.

What really impressed me this morning was the explanation why it is that we sin. Many do not realize that sin reveals a separation from Christ. If we were abiding in Him and our hearts and minds being fully surrendered, we would be living for Him in the moment. But, when we allow the mind to wander off, when we do not yield to the Holy Spirit's prompting, then we are left to our own doing, which without Christ is not good.

It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained a great loss. Christ knew the fiery ordeal through which they were to pass. He knew how Satan would work to paralyze their senses that they might be unready for the trial. Therefore it was that He gave them warning. Had those hours in the garden been spent in watching and prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength. He would not have denied his Lord. Had the disciples watched with Christ in His agony, they would have been prepared to behold His suffering upon the cross. They would have understood in some degree the nature of His overpowering anguish. They would have been able to recall His words that foretold His sufferings, His death, and His resurrection. Amid the gloom of the most trying hour, some rays of hope would have lighted up the darkness and sustained their faith. 

Sister Dorine has shared what we can do that will strengthen us so we will not be tempted beyond what we can bear. We must stay connected with Jesus.