Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--75--Before Annas and the Court of Caiaphas  (Read 17489 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--75--Before Annas and the Court of Caiaphas
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »
Amen, Richard! What a powerful parallel that prophecy portrays for us! We can be thankful that Christ's faithful people, if they are beholding the loveliness of Jesus day by day, need not be led astray. Our continual need of Jesus is something each must learn, and we must each exercise saving faith with a surrender of all the heart in order to be saved. Like John, the Lord would not have us hide what we believe and who we are at this time of crisis in the world and in God's church.

As I reflect on what Jesus faced before Annas and the court of Caiphas, I am encouraged to see how John chose not to try to hide that he was a follower of Jesus (he is referring to himself in his gospel as "another disciple"), as Peter tried to do. We need not be ashamed of Jesus, even if it means that we will face persecution. Jesus suffered more keenly than we can imagine, and well would it be for us to behold His loveliness of character that we may be encouraged and strengthened to be His witnesses. Let us let the light of His love shine!

"And Simon Peter followed Jesus, and so did another disciple: that disciple was known unto the high priest, and went in with Jesus into the palace of the high priest" (John 18:15).

"The disciple John, upon entering the judgment hall, did not try to conceal the fact that he was a follower of Jesus. He did not mingle with the rough company who were reviling his Master. He was not questioned, for he did not assume a false character, and thus lay himself liable to suspicion. He sought a retired corner secure from the notice of the mob, but as near Jesus as it was possible for him to be. Here he could see and hear all that took place at the trial of his Lord." {The Desire of Ages, page 711, paragraph 1}

Thankfully, John's presence there meant He could hear and know what was taking place, so he could be an eyewitness and testify of Christ's experience for us in the Scripture. While we are not able to physically see all that Jesus endured for us that led up to His crucifixion, through the word of God, and the beautiful book The Desire of Ages, we are given beautiful glimpses of Jesus that will uplift our souls.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:43 AM »
Jesus tells us what we need; Jesus offers us His grace, but that grace must be received. How? By beholding Him in His infinite loveliness and His infinite suffering to save us from sin. I am so thankful that when we go to sleep at night and ask Jesus to wake us up in the morning, when we hunger and thirst for righteousness, Jesus will wake us so He can fill us. As we realize the loss the disciples sustained in sleeping during the time of Christ's agony, let us heed the lesson and learn our continual need of Jesus--as well as our great need for the time morning by morning spent in communion with Him beholding Him, for this "thoughtful hour" on the life of Jesus, especially the closing scenes, is enabling us to better understand, appreciate, and reflect the character of Christ through a full-heart surrender. What a Savior!

"It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained a great loss. Christ knew the fiery ordeal through which they were to pass. He knew how Satan would work to paralyze their senses that they might be unready for the trial. Therefore it was that He gave them warning. Had those hours in the garden been spent in watching and prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength. He would not have denied his Lord. Had the disciples watched with Christ in His agony, they would have been prepared to behold His suffering upon the cross. They would have understood in some degree the nature of His overpowering anguish. They would have been able to recall His words that foretold His sufferings, His death, and His resurrection. Amid the gloom of the most trying hour, some rays of hope would have lighted up the darkness and sustained their faith." {The Desire of Ages, page 713, paragraph 4}

When the great trial of faith comes upon God's remnant people, as the 144,000 pass through the time of trouble, well would it be for them to experience the sustaining presence of Christ by having learned to heed the lesson to watch and pray. God has more light and encouragement, more depth of experience, and an increase of vigor and faith yet to be imparted to us as we become more deeply imbued with the Spirit of God.   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 08:21:36 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean.  We need to not only be imbued with His Spirit, we need to remember who we are apart from God and how easy it is to forget who He is, and that He is at our right hand to sustain us in our great trials. We are the Remnant of God. As such we are to remember that we have a purpose in these last days that is very different from the mission of the church in days past. Yes, all were and are to be witnesses of God's love and justice, but the last church when Jesus comes will vindicated His character in a manner that will establish God's government for eternity. Never again will sin arise, even though all of His creatures will have free will.

We poor fallible humans are so fallen that it is hard for us to remember both our continual need of Jesus and the power of His grace to keep us from sin. When probation has closed and Satan is allowed to do whatever he wants, except take our lives, we shall remember our need of Jesus and will cling to Him every moment. The story of Job is for this our day. Unlike Job, the Remnant Church of God will not take their eyes off of Jesus and will reveal to the world and the unfallen universe that God's love, His grace, can keep from sin, even the most lowly generation ever to inhabit this planet.

But, if we will develop a character that daily spends a thoughtful hour in the morning beholding the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes such as we are reading today, we will be strengthened and remember who we are and what our mission is. We will not be asleep when Christ calls, nor will we forget that the most weighty trust and the highest honor Christ can bestow upon us, is to partake in His sufferings.

Christ suffered before He died:

Christ suffered keenly under abuse and insult. At the hands of the beings whom He had created, and for whom He was making an infinite sacrifice, He received every indignity. And He suffered in proportion to the perfection of His holiness and His hatred of sin. His trial by men who acted as fiends was to Him a perpetual sacrifice. To be surrounded by human beings under the control of Satan was revolting to Him. And He knew that in a moment, by the flashing forth of His divine power, He could lay His cruel tormentors in the dust. This made the trial the harder to bear.   
     The Jews were looking for a Messiah to be revealed in outward show. They expected Him, by one flash of overmastering will, to change the current of men's thoughts, and force from them an acknowledgment of His supremacy. Thus, they believed, He was to secure His own exaltation, and gratify their ambitious hopes. Thus when Christ was treated with contempt, there came to Him a strong temptation to manifest His divine character. By a word, by a look, He could compel His persecutors to confess that He was Lord above kings and rulers, priests and temple. But it was His difficult task to keep to the position He had chosen as one with humanity.
     The angels of heaven witnessed every movement made against their loved Commander. They longed to deliver Christ. Under God the angels are all-powerful. On one occasion, in obedience to the command of Christ, they slew of the Assyrian army in one night one hundred and eighty-five thousand men. How easily could the angels, beholding the shameful scene of the trial of Christ, have testified their indignation by consuming the adversaries of God! But they were not commanded to do this. He who could have doomed His enemies to death bore with their cruelty. His love for His Father, and His pledge, made from the foundation of the world, to become the Sin Bearer, led Him to endure uncomplainingly the coarse treatment of those He came to save. It was a part of His mission to bear, in His humanity, all the taunts and abuse that men could heap upon Him. The only hope of humanity was in this submission of Christ to all that He could endure from the hands and hearts of men.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 02:46:58 AM »
  "The Sanhedrin had pronounced Jesus worthy of death; but it was contrary to the Jewish law to try a prisoner by night. In legal condemnation nothing could be done except in the light of day and before a full session of the council. Notwithstanding this, the Saviour was now treated as a condemned criminal, and given up to be abused by the lowest and vilest of humankind. The palace of the high priest surrounded an open court in which the soldiers and the multitude had gathered. Through this court, Jesus was taken to the guardroom, on every side meeting with mockery of His claim to be the Son of God. His own words, 'sitting on the right hand of power,' and, 'coming in the clouds of heaven,' were jeeringly repeated. While in the guardroom, awaiting His legal trial, He was not protected. The ignorant rabble had seen the cruelty with which He was treated before the council, and from this they took license to manifest all the satanic elements of their nature. Christ's very nobility and godlike bearing goaded them to madness. His meekness, His innocence, His majestic patience, filled them with hatred born of Satan. Mercy and justice were trampled upon. Never was criminal treated in so inhuman a manner as was the Son of God." {The Desire of Ages, page 710, paragraph 1}

Christ revealed His character in contrast to the character of Satan as manifest in those who were under his control. Jesus was calm, patient, and self-possessed. Under the most exciting and trying experiences in His mock trial, Jesus revealed to us how we, abiding in Him, may endure trial. When you are tempted, and feel that retaliation, murmuring, or complaining is ever about to escape your lips, look afresh to Jesus and see His grace--for His loveliness of character is grace! All that Jesus endured is for us, for by beholding His character, by understanding and partaking of this love, we are transformed. We realize how in some degree we have mocked and derided Jesus by our sins; yet we see in Jesus perfection, mercy, and justice being satisfied. He bore our sins so we can, in Him, be set free from sin's guilt and power, and manifest the very traits of character in Him. Christ in us, the hope of glory, makes this possible to each of us when we surrender the whole heart to Him! Praise God!

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:45 AM »
But a keener anguish rent the heart of Jesus; the blow that inflicted the deepest pain no enemy's hand could have dealt. While He was undergoing the mockery of an examination before Caiaphas, Christ had been denied by one of His own disciples.

If we are a child of God then we have no desire to inflict such a personal wound on Christ. Do we hate sin enough to shun it with help from Christ so that we won't crucify Him afresh with our sin? I remember a few years when the following quote was shared with me. It struck a deep nerve and still does. Does Christ still suffer when we sin?... take a look...

Christ, the sinless One, was making an infinite sacrifice for sinners, that they might be saved. He came as a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, and those for whom He came looked upon Him as stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. The cup of suffering was placed in His hand, as if He were the guilty one, and he drained it to the dregs. He bore the sin of the world to the bitter end. And yet men continue to sin, and Christ continues to feel the consequences of their sin as if he Himself were the guilty one. {13MR 369.3}

Shall I Crucify Him?

Shall I crucify my Savior,
When for me He bore such loss?
Shall I put to shame my Savior,
Can I nail Him to the cross?

Are temptations so alluring,
Do earth's pleasures so enthrall,
That I cannot love my Savior
Well enough to leave them all?

'Twas my sins that crucified Him;
Shall they crucify Him yet?
Blackest day of nameless anguish,
And my thankless soul forget?

O, the kindly hands of Jesus,
Pouring blessings on all men!
Bleeding, nail scarred hands of Jesus,
Can I nail them once again?

Shall I crucify my Savior,
Crucify my Lord again?
Once, O once, I crucified Him,
Shall I crucify again?

Mrs. Frank A Breck

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 07:39:20 AM »
Jim these were my exact thoughts this morning as I read our chapter. That is a beautiful poem. I've never seen it before.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
Does Christ still suffer when we sin?... take a look...

You answered that question nicely, Jim. It is the truth. How can we hurt the One we love? Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not. This ought to cause us great concern.  The question then becomes, what must I do in order to not hurt Him? It is found in this quote.

His love for His Father, and His pledge, made from the foundation of the world, to become the Sin Bearer, led Him to endure uncomplainingly the coarse treatment of those He came to save. It was a part of His mission to bear, in His humanity, all the taunts and abuse that men could heap upon Him. The only hope of humanity was in this submission of Christ to all that He could endure from the hands and hearts of men. 

It was the love of His Father, so it will empower us to not sin. Our love for God will keep us from hurting Him.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 05:28:33 AM »
Christ suffered keenly under abuse and insult. At the hands of the beings whom He had created, and for whom He was making an infinite sacrifice, He received every indignity. And He suffered in proportion to the perfection of His holiness and His hatred of sin. His trial by men who acted as fiends was to Him a perpetual sacrifice. To be surrounded by human beings under the control of Satan was revolting to Him. And He knew that in a moment, by the flashing forth of His divine power, He could lay His cruel tormentors in the dust. This made the trial the harder to bear. 

I've never been a parent but I can imagine the heart ache it would cause to one's heart to see a child go astray and then fight back when you attempt to help them. Here Christ was experiencing some very similiar only at a deeper level. This just reminds and reinforces a text that came to mind as I read this...

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 07:41:11 AM »
Amen, Jim! The love of Christ is an outflow of His sinless heart that came not to condemn, but to save. His character, His manner of dealing as he was tried before Annas and Caiaphas, was so clearly divine and perfect that it brought conviction. But conviction is not conversion or surrender. There is a key lesson here for us:

"Conviction mingled with passion led Caiaphas to do as he did. He was furious with himself for believing Christ's words, and instead of rending his heart under a deep sense of truth, and confessing that Jesus was the Messiah, he rent his priestly robes in determined resistance. This act was deeply significant. Little did Caiaphas realize its meaning. In this act, done to influence the judges and secure Christ's condemnation, the high priest had condemned himself. By the law of God he was disqualified for the priesthood. He had pronounced upon himself the death sentence." {The Desire of Ages, page 708, paragraph 3}

Jesus came to save us. He knew we were under the death sentence because of our sins, for the wages of sin is death. But Jesus does not leave us in such a place. He seeks us out. But when we are brought face to face with the light as it shines upon us in the face of Jesus Christ, as conviction of our need to repent is made clear, and we still refuse and turn--it is then that condemnation comes--a condemnation that the soul chooses for itself. It is not that God's love for Caiaphas changed--it was the Caiaphas had come to such a point of obstinacy that he would not be reached by the character of God. Jesus did not desire to see Caiapahas lost. He longed to save him. But Caiaphas was unwilling to respond to the conviction of the character of Christ in a manner of total surrender. He did respond--but it was out of passion and the base elements of the fallen nature.

There are many around us who are under conviction, but it is a choice we make as the evidence of God's love is brought to us that determines our destiny. I choose to respond to Christ in full surrender, so that today, anew, I may be thoroughly converted and have Christ living in me to produce all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing as by grace through faith it is possible to live up to all the light of God's law that He has made clear. I thank God that He loves us enough to bring us to conviction, and, as we fully surrender, bring about the great miracle that we all need--a conversion of our will to His will, so the heart and mind are renewed. Without this experience of a complete surrender, we, even with as much light and conviction as Caiaphas had, will be lost. Let us choose Jesus continually and abide in Him evermore.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
Amen Jim. This is an important truth that you have shared. Christ was not just like us in all ways. He was God in human flesh. He kept his divine power under control. He was tempted far past what any of us could be tempted. We read that "He suffered in proportion to the perfection of His holiness and His hatred of sin." How much was that? He suffered for the sins of the whole world! We would be crushed if we suffered for our own sins, and so  much more the sin of the whole world.

I was just thinking yesterday, what a horrible horrible situation Jesus was in when he came to this world and was surrounded by sinners.. We find it hard to be surrounded by people who are not like us, that are unlovely, unkind, and some just plain nasty. We are misunderstood, we are hated buy some for doing good. And we know, that soon the whole world will try to crush us out. Imagine Jesus being surrounded by such creatures! His whole life was painful to Him. And even those that He had loved and cared for, when He longed for their human sympathy, He received none!

Yes, it was hard for him, and it is hard for us. but, His joy amid these great trials, like our joy amid our trials is that some will be transformed and receive eternal life! As Pastor Sean has pointed out, when we love Jesus because He first loved us, we have power to love those who despitefully use us. What a miracle! Let us choose Jesus today that we might be blessed by blessing Jesus and those that He suffered and died to save.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 03:00:06 AM »
Our appearance is a witness, and Jesus is our Savior and Example. His countenance bore witness of His innocence, even though He took our place to bear the sin of the world. What a marvelous revelation of His loveliness we see in His trial. We can be thankful that the same calmness, holiness, and serenity may pervade our lives as we abide in Him--for every fruit of the divine nature will be manifest in our lives, without one missing, bearing witness that the grace pervading our lives comes not from ourselves, but from a living-faith surrender to Christ. Let us allow Christ's life to shine through us today, no matter how great the trials we may face!

"When the council had assembled in the judgment hall, Caiaphas took his seat as presiding officer. On either side were the judges, and those specially interested in the trial. The Roman soldiers were stationed on the platform below the throne. At the foot of the throne stood Jesus. Upon Him the gaze of the whole multitude was fixed. The excitement was intense. Of all the throng He alone was calm and serene. The very atmosphere surrounding Him seemed pervaded by a holy influence." {The Desire of Ages, page 703, paragraph 3}

Beacon

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 04:50:16 AM »
"He is guilty, put Him to death! Had it not been for the Roman soldiers, Jesus would not have lived to be nailed to the cross of Calvary. He would have been torn in pieces before His judges, had not Roman authority interfered, and by force of arms restrained the violence of the mob."

These were people who claimed to the the spiritual leaders of Israel--He came to pay the price for their sins and redeem them to Himself.

"Heathen men were angry at the brutal treatment of one against whom nothing had been proved. The Roman officers declared that the Jews in pronouncing condemnation upon Jesus were infringing upon the Roman power, and that it was even against the Jewish law to condemn a man to death upon his own testimony. This intervention brought a momentary lull in the proceedings; but the Jewish leaders were dead alike to pity and to shame. "

When a person is "pretending to be a follower of Jesus" anything of an evil nature is possible and this demonstration of evil possession was now being displayed in full force

" Priests and rulers forgot the dignity of their office, and abused the Son of God with foul epithets. They taunted Him with His parentage. They declared that His presumption in proclaiming Himself the Messiah made Him deserving of the most ignominious death. The most dissolute men engaged in infamous abuse of the Saviour. An old garment was thrown over His head, and His persecutors struck Him in the face, saying, "Prophesy unto us, Thou Christ, Who is he that smote Thee?" When the garment was removed, one poor wretch spat in His face. "

The angels of God faithfully recorded every insulting look, word, and act against their beloved Commander. One day the base men who scorned and spat upon the calm, pale face of Christ will look upon it in its glory, shining brighter than the sun.

When I think that Jesus went through all that for me it makes me weep because I know it is my sin also that took Him to Calvary and then I remember the words of a song that goes like this... " When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride. ".  Where the whole realm of nature mine, That were a present far too small: Love so amazing, so Divine, demands my soul, my life, MY ALL."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 08:02:19 AM »
Amen, brother Beacon!

Jesus is so precious to us, and the glory, beauty and loveliness of His character shines even more clearly under the abuse and mistreatment He received as He was on His way to the cross.

"Christ calmly replied, 'If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou Me?' He spoke no burning words of retaliation. His calm answer came from a heart sinless, patient, and gentle, that would not be provoked." {The Desire of Ages, page 700, paragraph 2}

When we are surrendered to Christ, accepting His sacrifice of the blood He shed for us, and fully filled with His Spirit, the same patient gentleness can flow from us as naturally as the flower exudes a fragrance as its beautiful pedals are directed to the sun. As we are beholding the loveliness of Jesus, His character is imputed and imparted to us, and we have no need to fear for the future trials that await us as long as we have Christ in us, the hope of glory, so He may reveal His character through us as His people! Such a revelation will close the great controversy, evincing the power of the sacrifice made for us to perfect His people in Him--perfect at each stage of growth in full surrender, but soon to come to full maturity in the greater trials that are coming upon us before Jesus returns! Glory in the cross! Glory in Jesus!

Beacon

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2019, 08:02:03 PM »
"It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained a great loss. Christ knew the fiery ordeal through which they were to pass. He knew how Satan would work to paralyze their senses that they might be unready for the trial. Therefore it was that He gave them warning. Had those hours in the garden been spent in watching and prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength. He would not have denied his Lord. "[/size]

As God's Remnant people --- knowing that the final events of this earth's history will again call for great courage and a strong faith, this chapter provides us with many valuable lessons which if taken into our life experiences "NOW" will strengthen us to stand tall for our Jesus when it is our turn to stand trial for our Jesus.  I pray that we will take the time to prepare our hearts and not be found sleeping. 

"Had the disciples watched with Christ in His agony, they would have been prepared to behold His suffering upon the cross. They would have understood in some degree the nature of His overpowering anguish. They would have been able to recall His words that foretold His sufferings, His death, and His resurrection. Amid the gloom of the most trying hour, some rays of hope would have lighted up the darkness and sustained their faith. "

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon.  We must learn to watch and pray in order to be able to resist the temptations that will come to us. It is a lesson that few have been taught and even fewer have learned. We need Jesus all the time. We need to be in an attitude of prayer contnually in order to be prepared for what will come. Every day God measures a test for us. God is so very good to give us small steps to prepare us for what is coming tomorrow! We do not want to hurt Jesus as His disciples did that night.

Mercy and justice were trampled upon. Never was criminal treated in so inhuman a manner as was the Son of God. But a keener anguish rent the heart of Jesus; the blow that inflicted the deepest pain no enemy's hand could have dealt. While He was undergoing the mockery of an examination before Caiaphas, Christ had been denied by one of His own disciples.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 08:58:57 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

As we learn our continual need of Jesus, we also come to experience the blessing of being prepared to behold the sufferings of Christ (appreciating it more fully) and the resulting transformation of character that this brings to us! Even as Christ suffered keenly for us, as we keep His sacrifice uppermost in our minds, it better prepares us for the trials we will face and the great time of trouble that precedes His second coming. By beholding the loveliness of Jesus we are changed, but if we are asleep or under a paralysis of our higher powers, thus failing to discern God's great love for us and the power He has to keep us from falling, we are liable to experience great loss. Let us watch and pray and withstand temptation by abiding in Christ, which always has fruitful results in our characters: all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing come forth through our lives even amid the most difficult trials as long as Christ reigns on the heart supreme!

"It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained a great loss. Christ knew the fiery ordeal through which they were to pass. He knew how Satan would work to paralyze their senses that they might be unready for the trial. Therefore it was that He gave them warning. Had those hours in the garden been spent in watching and prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength. He would not have denied his Lord. Had the disciples watched with Christ in His agony, they would have been prepared to behold His suffering upon the cross. They would have understood in some degree the nature of His overpowering anguish. They would have been able to recall His words that foretold His sufferings, His death, and His resurrection. Amid the gloom of the most trying hour, some rays of hope would have lighted up the darkness and sustained their faith." {The Desire of Ages, page 713, paragraph 4}

God gives us trials as "preparation" for greater trials ahead, so we can have an abiding faith without interruption. Such an experience is worth more than gold in terms of the moral worth God invests us with by a personal experience of fellowship with Christ in suffering and persevering faith amid trial and tribulation. "I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even the gold of the golden wedge of Ophir" (Isaiah 13:12).   

Beacon

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2019, 05:46:38 PM »
"While the degrading oaths were fresh upon Peter's lips, and the shrill crowing of the cock was still ringing in his  ears, the Saviour turned from the frowning judges, and looked full upon His poor disciple. At the same time Peter's eyes were drawn to his Master. In that gentle countenance he read deep pity and sorrow but there was no anger there."

"The sight of that pale, suffering face, those quivering lips, that look of compassion and forgiveness, pierced his heart like an arrow. Conscience was aroused. Memory was active. Peter called to mind his promise of a few short hours before that he would go with his Lord to prison and to death. He remembered his grief when the Saviour told him in the upper chamber that he would deny his Lord thrice that same night. Peter had just declared that he knew not Jesus, but he now realized with bitter grief how well his Lord knew him, and how accurately He had read his heart, the falseness of which was unknown even to himself."

What a compassionate understanding Jesus we serve! When Peter looked at him, "he only sensed compassion and forgiveness and it pierced his heart like an arrow". After Jesus arose from the tomb and met the disciples by the sea Jesus took Peter aside and asked him 3 times if he loved him. Three times Peter with a broken heart said...Yes, Lord. Then those wonderful words of restoration were spoken by Jesus. " Go Feed My Sheep " Jesus took a broken disciple who had sinned a great sin against his master at the very worst moment at the trial of Jesus when Jesus needed support and He forgave him and restored him. That same Jesus will do the same for each of us if we are willing to acknowledge and forsake our sins. It also teaches us, how we should treat one another.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 07:50:09 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

As I reflected this morning upon what Jesus suffered in His farce of a trial before Annas and Caiaphas, I am encouraged to remember His great love. Jesus bore all that could be heaped upon Him uncomplainingly so we, in a similar trial, may receive His gracious experience of character by faith!

“The angels of God faithfully recorded every insulting look, word, and act against their beloved Commander. One day the base men who scorned and spat upon the calm, pale face of Christ will look upon it in its glory, shining brighter than the sun.” – {The Desire of Ages, page 715, paragraph 4}

Christ’s victory was complete. He did not need to retaliate, for He was making an infinite sacrifice. Only those who would not yield to a His constraining love would be lost. But how great will be the loss of even one soul—for we have been purchased with the life, death and sufferings of Christ!

Dorine

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 12:12:20 PM »
"It was in sleeping when Jesus bade him watch and pray that Peter had prepared the way for his great sin. All the disciples, by sleeping in that critical hour, sustained a great loss. Christ knew the fiery ordeal through which they were to pass. He knew how Satan would work to paralyze their senses that they might be unready for the trial. Therefore it was that He gave them warning. Had those hours in the garden been spent in watching and prayer, Peter would not have been left to depend upon his own feeble strength. He would not have denied his Lord. Had the disciples watched with Christ in His agony, they would have been prepared to behold His suffering upon the cross. They would have understood in some degree the nature of His overpowering anguish. They would have been able to recall His words that foretold His sufferings, His death, and His resurrection. Amid the gloom of the most trying hour, some rays of hope would have lighted up the darkness and sustained their faith."

What a lesson for us today. We are to watch and pray as we prepare for the second coming of our Saviour. We must be wide awake and surrendered to Christ so that Christ living in us will keep us from falling into temptation. As we face the serious times ahead we will need rays of hope to light up the darkness and sustain our faith.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2019, 05:50:13 AM »
Again, what a blessing to read what all what have seen important in today's reading! So much truth! How can we not love our God! Jesus did not walk away from lies that brought reproach upon the truth. Neither did He retaliate in kind. He was not provoked, nor did He lose His peace. But, He did suffer greatly and was filled with a righteous indignation at the evil surrounding Him. He understood the influence it has on humanity.

Christ calmly replied, "If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou Me?" He spoke no burning words of retaliation. His calm answer came from a heart sinless, patient, and gentle, that would not be provoked.

Satan's lies have perverted the gospel truth. It is not easy to find those who understand the foundation of our faith. As an example of how deceptive the lies are, look at this truth:  "He suffered in proportion to the perfection of His holiness...."

This is not a difficult matter to understand, but many highly educated cannot explain it. Jesus was perfect at age 12. He did not sin. So are all who are truly converted. The baby Christian has a proportion of perfection of holiness. How can this be for a repentant sinner? What does this mean?