Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--74--Gethsemane  (Read 29118 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--74--Gethsemane
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2021, 05:17:52 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!

Have you ever had to battle through depression and discouragement? So did Jesus! It was in the Garden of Gethsemane where the strongest trial of His life to that point was faced, and He chose to lay down His life for us as a sacrifice (just hours away from dying on the cross), choosing to become fully identified with sin and sinners in taking upon Himself our guilt, and He began to feel the separation that sin causes between the sinner and God. How He wrestled in prayer! How Jesus loved the Father, but He also loved us--what a crux to face! And praise the Lord, He chose to go through with the sacrifice so we could be saved--eternally saved! As we behold the loveliness of Jesus and yield the whole heart to Him, He creates in us a new heart and a right Spirit so we can have in our experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Then affectionate obedience is the supernatural result of constant union and communion with Him! What a sacrifice was made for us! May we ever praise God for His love and goodness to us!

"Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him. The storm had in nowise abated, but He who was its object was strengthened to meet its fury. He came forth calm and serene. A heavenly peace rested upon His bloodstained face. He had borne that which no human being could ever bear; for He had tasted the sufferings of death for every man." {The Desire of Ages, page 694, paragraph 1}

Looking unto Jesus, we realize the words in Scripture are so true: "For it became Him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the Captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings" (Hebrews 2:10). May we not allow a murmur to escape our lips but rather praise to God and the Lamb ever flow from our lives in whatever lot God's providence assigns for us on the journey to heaven!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2021, 07:21:52 AM »
i BELIEVE THE WORDS OF THIS SONG SUM IT ALL UP.

I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small,
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”
    Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
  He washed it white as snow.
Lord, now indeed I find
Thy pow’r, and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots,
And melt the heart of stone.
For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim—
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calvary's Lamb.
And when, before the throne,
I stand in Him complete,
“Jesus died my soul to save,”
My lips shall still repeat.

"JESUS PAID IT ALL"

THANK YOU JESUS! ------THANK YOU JESUS!-------THANK YOU JESUS!-------THANK YOU JESUS!

Look up and listen for the shout.

Philip T

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2021, 07:36:05 AM »
    No traces of His recent agony were visible as Jesus stepped forth to meet His betrayer. Standing in advance of His disciples He said, "Whom seek ye?" They answered, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus replied, "I am He." As these words were spoken, the angel who had lately ministered to Jesus moved between Him and the mob. A divine light illuminated the Saviour's face, and a dovelike form overshadowed Him. In the presence of this divine glory, the murderous throng could not stand for a moment. They staggered back. Priests, elders, soldiers, and even Judas, fell as dead men to the ground.
     The angel withdrew, and the light faded away. Jesus had opportunity to escape, but He remained, calm and self-possessed. As one glorified He stood in the midst of that hardened band, now prostrate and helpless at His feet. The disciples looked on, silent with wonder and awe.  

This thought struck me this morning, just how much Jesus loves us, as then angel that took satin's place in heaven showed forth Gods glory and the whole mob staggered backwards, Jesus could have escaped, but He loves us so much, He did not even attempt to escape, He went forward with the Plan of Salvation, knowing the agony and pain yet to come. What Love Jesus has for us.

Beacon

« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2021, 08:47:39 PM »
"The One who had always had words of sympathy for the disciples was now suffering superhuman agony, and He longed to know that they were praying for Him and for themselves."

"How dark seemed the malignity of sin! "

"Terrible was the temptation to let the human race bear the consequences of its own guilt, while He stood innocent before God."

"If He could only know that His disciples understood and appreciated this, He would be strengthened."

When we consider the horrible experience Jesus passed through in order to provide us with a way of escape should it not cause us to say a big huge...

" Thank You Jesus " 

May our prayer of surrender be found in the words of this song.

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Dorine

« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2021, 06:30:31 AM »
"The human heart longs for sympathy in suffering. This longing Christ felt to the very depths of His being. In the supreme agony of His soul He came to His disciples with a yearning desire to hear some words of comfort from those whom He had so often blessed and comforted, and shielded in sorrow and distress. The One who had always had words of sympathy for them was now suffering superhuman agony, and He longed to know that they were praying for Him and for themselves. How dark seemed the malignity of sin! Terrible was the temptation to let the human race bear the consequences of its own guilt, while He stood innocent before God. If He could only know that His disciples understood and appreciated this, He would be strengthened."

This intense description of the great need of Jesus struck me with such sadness this morning yet tremendous gratitude. He could have used His divinity to change His circumstances but instead because of His amazing love for us He took upon Himself the nature of man with the same needs for comfort and understanding. May we bring joy to His heart today by surrendering all to Him and walking in His footsteps of service to those that need to hear the gospel message.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2021, 08:32:02 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

It's worth it. You are worth it. Christ valued the souls of human beings over the prospect of His own existence. He was willing to be identified with sinners and face the consequences of transgression so we could experience in true conversion all of the fruits of the Spirit in His righteousness! Let us more fully comprehend the cost paid for our salvation in what Christ went through, and we will correspondingly value souls the way Christ did!

"The worlds unfallen and the heavenly angels had watched with intense interest as the conflict drew to its close. Satan and his confederacy of evil, the legions of apostasy, watched intently this great crisis in the work of redemption. The powers of good and evil waited to see what answer would come to Christ's thrice-repeated prayer. Angels had longed to bring relief to the divine sufferer, but this might not be. No way of escape was found for the Son of God. In this awful crisis, when everything was at stake, when the mysterious cup trembled in the hand of the sufferer, the heavens opened, a light shone forth amid the stormy darkness of the crisis hour, and the mighty angel who stands in God's presence, occupying the position from which Satan fell, came to the side of Christ. The angel came not to take the cup from Christ's hand, but to strengthen Him to drink it, with the assurance of the Father's love. He came to give power to the divine-human suppliant. He pointed Him to the open heavens, telling Him of the souls that would be saved as the result of His sufferings. He assured Him that His Father is greater and more powerful than Satan, that His death would result in the utter discomfiture of Satan, and that the kingdom of this world would be given to the saints of the Most High. He told Him that He would see of the travail of His soul, and be satisfied, for He would see a multitude of the human race saved, eternally saved." {The Desire of Ages, page 693, paragraph 3}

What is your "Gethsemane"? What is your "Calvary"? In comparison to what Christ endured for us in the Garden of Gethsemane and how He died for us on Calvary, we are never called to make a real sacrifice. All that we face is given us by grace, preparing us for greater trial and finally for the eternal bliss of heaven. Even the time of Jacob's trouble cannot fully compare to what Christ endured for us, for He faced the sufferings of death for every human being. We are called to suffer trial and endure uncomplainingly so that our lives may be purified from all the dross of earthliness and selfishness. Amid all your pain and suffering in life, be cheered by the reality that Christ will never leave you, but go the step that He took--surrender your will to God so that Christ will live IN YOU by the Holy Spirit. If we choose to sin, Christ cannot remain in the heart, for He will not force us to have Him in control of our lives. But as in choosing sin it is inevitable that the soul must at some point realize that true affectionate obedience and all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing is no longer the experience of the character. At such a point, may such an experience of nakedness of soul lead to the realization of the need to heed the voice of the Jesus knocking on the door of the heart for entrance to convert the soul anew, or for the first time if it has never been experienced before! May we learn our continual need of Jesus to do any good thing and always walk with Him in constant union and communion of the soul! Then the sufferings of Christ will propel us forward to cheerfully experience all that God in His infinite love allows to befall us in preparation for Christ's SOON RETURN!! Will you surrender the whole heart to Him in light of how much He suffered for you and paid for your soul? Such a love constrains you to be "ALL IN" for Him!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2021, 09:02:53 PM »
Yes, how very sad that His faithful disciples did not comfort our Savior in His time of need. But, we can today by being faithful witnesses of His character with Him abiding in our hearts.

I choose what Pastor Sean has shared, but want to include a little more for those who are reading along with us. God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear, but He will allow us to be tempted....for our good and His glory. How do we get through our great trials? In the manner as did Jesus. Where did His strength come from? So it will be with us. The trial does not go away, but we are lifted into the unseen world  and realize that it is for our God that we suffer, and for those for whom He suffered and died.

But God suffered with His Son. Angels beheld the Saviour's agony. They saw their Lord enclosed by legions of satanic forces, His nature weighed down with a shuddering, mysterious dread. There was silence in heaven. No harp was touched. Could mortals have viewed the amazement of the angelic host as in silent grief they watched the Father separating His beams of light, love, and glory from His beloved Son, they would better understand how offensive in His sight is sin.
     The worlds unfallen and the heavenly angels had watched with intense interest as the conflict drew to its close. Satan and his confederacy of evil, the legions of apostasy, watched intently this great crisis in the work of redemption. The powers of good and evil waited to see what answer would come to Christ's thrice-repeated prayer. Angels had longed to bring relief to the divine sufferer, but this might not be. No way of escape was found for the Son of God. In this awful crisis, when everything was at stake, when the mysterious cup trembled in the hand of the sufferer, the heavens opened, a light shone forth amid the stormy darkness of the crisis hour, and the mighty angel who stands in God's presence, occupying the position from which Satan fell, came to the side of Christ. The angel came not to take the cup from Christ's hand, but to strengthen Him to drink it, with the assurance of the Father's love. He came to give power to the divine-human suppliant. He pointed Him to the open heavens, telling Him of the souls that would be saved as the result of His sufferings. He assured Him that His Father is greater and more powerful than Satan, that His death would result in the utter discomfiture of Satan, and that the kingdom of this world would be given to the saints of the Most High. He told Him that He would see of the travail of His soul, and be satisfied, for He would see a multitude of the human race saved, eternally saved.
     Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him. The storm had in nowise abated, but He who was its object was strengthened to meet its fury. He came forth calm and serene. A heavenly peace rested upon His bloodstained face. He had borne that which no human being could ever bear; for He had tasted the sufferings of death for every man. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2022, 08:00:46 PM »
"God suffered with His Son."

"Angels beheld the Saviour's agony. They saw their Lord enclosed by legions of satanic forces, His nature weighed down with a shuddering, mysterious dread."

"There was silence in heaven."

"In this awful crisis, when everything was at stake, when the mysterious cup trembled in the hand of the sufferer, the heavens opened, a light shone forth amid the stormy darkness of the crisis hour, and the mighty angel who stands in God's presence, occupying the position from which Satan fell, came to the side of Christ."

"The angel came not to take the cup from Christ's hand, but to strengthen Him to drink it, with the assurance of the Father's love. He came to give power to the divine-human suppliant."

"He pointed Him to the open heavens, telling Him of the souls that would be saved as the result of His sufferings. He assured Him that His Father is greater and more powerful than Satan, that His death would result in the utter discomfiture of Satan, and that the kingdom of this world would be given to the saints of the Most High. He told Him that He would see of the travail of His soul, and be satisfied, for He would see a multitude of the human race saved, eternally saved."

If we who are alive today are granted the "Privilege and Honor" of going through the "Final Showdown" between Christ & Satan, we can rest assured that we also will be given the strength and courage needed to pass through the final storm by keeping our faith and eyes on the great promises of His Word.

Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,
  Standing on the promises of God.
    Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
Standing, standing,
  I’m standing on the promises of God.
Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally by love’s strong cord,
Overcoming daily with the Spirit’s sword,
Standing on the promises I shall not fall,
List’ning every moment to the Spirit’s call.
Resting in my Savior as my All in all,

Lyrics and Music :Russell Kelso Carter (1849-1928)

Dorine

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2022, 06:11:17 AM »
..."With the issues of the conflict before Him, Christ's soul was filled with dread of separation from God. Satan told Him that if He became the surety for a sinful world, the separation would be eternal. He would be identified with Satan's kingdom, and would nevermore be one with God.        

And what was to be gained by this sacrifice? How hopeless appeared the guilt and ingratitude of men! In its hardest features Satan pressed the situation upon the Redeemer: The people who claim to be above all others in temporal and spiritual advantages have rejected You. They are seeking to destroy You, the foundation, the center and seal of the promises made to them as a peculiar people. One of Your own disciples, who has listened to Your instruction, and has been among the foremost in church activities, will betray You. One of Your most zealous followers will deny You. All will forsake You. Christ's whole being abhorred the thought. That those whom He had undertaken to save, those whom He loved so much, should unite in the plots of Satan, this pierced His soul. The conflict was terrible. Its measure was the guilt of His nation, of His accusers and betrayer, the guilt of a world lying in wickedness. The sins of men weighed heavily upon Christ, and the sense of God's wrath against sin was crushing out His life."

The temptations Jesus was faced with are far greater than anything anyone will ever have to face. Instead of focusing on our own sufferings and hard times we need to look to Jesus through this chapter and realize just how much He went through for every man, woman and child that ever lives. As we gaze upon our lovely Saviour hanging on that cruel cross thoughts of self and what life deals to us and the temptations we must encounter every day will be seen as they should be; crucibles that we gladly accept because we know that nothing comes to us that does not pass through Jesus first. We may put our full trust in Him knowing that "all things work together for good to them that love God to them that are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2022, 01:35:08 PM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

If Jesus was not alone in His suffering, neither are you! While we may not feel God's presence near us, we can know He is with us because He has promised! When Jesus was in agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, bearing the sins of the whole world, the Father suffered with Him in seeing His Son's agony, similar to how Abraham suffered when he was willing to offer up Isaac (see Genesis 22). While in the case of Isaac a way of escape was found in the ram divinely provided, there was no way of escape for Jesus, who must bear the sin of the whole world and die to atone for our sins if we could have salvation. May we more fully appreciate the value of Christ's sacrifice and what God has given us in Jesus!

"But God suffered with His Son. Angels beheld the Saviour's agony. They saw their Lord enclosed by legions of satanic forces, His nature weighed down with a shuddering, mysterious dread. There was silence in heaven. No harp was touched. Could mortals have viewed the amazement of the angelic host as in silent grief they watched the Father separating His beams of light, love, and glory from His beloved Son, they would better understand how offensive in His sight is sin." {The Desire of Ages, page 693, paragraph 2}

While sin is the transgression of the law, we can see that the Lawgiver, Jesus, was willing to become sin for us and offer us the hope of eternal salvation! What a privilege to abide in Christ by a full-heart surrender and have all of the fruits of the Spirit in our hearts without one missing as we overcome even as Christ overcame so we can be with Him in loving fellowship and ministry forever! 

Beacon

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2022, 08:08:12 PM »
"There was silence in heaven. No harp was touched."

"Could mortals have viewed the amazement of the angelic host as in silent grief they watched the Father separating His beams of light, love, and glory from His beloved Son, they would better understand how offensive in His sight is sin."

The worlds unfallen and the heavenly angels had watched with intense interest as the conflict drew to its close. The powers of good and evil waited to see what answer would come to Christ's thrice-repeated prayer.

"Angels had longed to bring relief to the divine sufferer, but this might not be."

"In this awful crisis, when everything was at stake, when the mysterious cup trembled in the hand of the sufferer, the heavens opened, a light shone forth amid the stormy darkness of the crisis hour, and the mighty angel who stands in God's presence, occupying the position from which Satan fell, came to the side of Christ."

"The angel came not to take the cup from Christ's hand, but to strengthen Him to drink it, with the assurance of the Father's love. He came to give power to the divine-human suppliant."

"He pointed Him to the open heavens, telling Him of the souls that would be saved as the result of His sufferings. He assured Him that His Father is greater and more powerful than Satan, that His death would result in the utter discomfiture of Satan."

Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him.

"The storm had in nowise abated, but He who was its object was strengthened to meet its fury. He came forth calm and serene."

"A heavenly peace rested upon His bloodstained face. He had borne that which no human being could ever bear; for He had tasted the sufferings of death for every man."

What greater "LOVE" could ever be given to provide for " OUR REDEMPTION?  "

THANK YOU JESUS - THANK YOU JESUS - THANK YOU JESUS

=================================

"Praise Him! praise Him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer!
  Sing, ye saints! His wonderful love proclaim!
Hail Him! hail Him! mightiest angels in glory;
  Strength and honor give to His holy name!
Like a shepherd, Jesus will feed His people,
  In His arms He carries them all day long;
O ye saints that live in the light of His presence,
  Praise Him! praise Him! ever in joyful song!
Praise Him! praise Him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer,
  For our sins He suffered and bled and died;
He, our Rock, our Hope of eternal salvation,
  Hail Him! hail Him! Jesus, the Crucified;
Loving Savior, meekly enduring sorrow,
  Crowned with thorns that cruelly pierced His brow;
Once for us rejected, despised, and forsaken,
  Prince of Glory, ever triumphant now.
Praise Him! praise Him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer,
  Heavenly portals, loud with hosannahs ring!
Jesus, Savior, reigneth for ever and ever;
  Crown Him! crown Him! Prophet and Priest and King!
Death is vanquished! Tell it with joy, ye faithful,
  Where is now thy victory, boasting grave?
Jesus lives! No longer thy portals are cheerless;
  Jesus lives, the mighty and strong to save."

Lyrics:Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915)
Music:Chester G. Allen (1838-1878)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2022, 08:14:28 AM »
Amen dear Brother Beacon!  Praise God!  What love!!  What is the difference between us today and the disciples then? What will we do when faced with what they thought was going to happen to them? Will we flee or stand up for Jesus no matter what?

We read here of a most sad event. Jesus longed for human prayers and sympathy, but got none. Today, He still longs for our prayers, love, and concern for His work. There are many souls for whom He suffered and died. He is doing all He can to encourage us to help Him save precious souls. Is this our motive for living? To serve others?

Behold Him contemplating the price to be paid for the human soul. In His agony He clings to the cold ground, as if to prevent Himself from being drawn farther from God. The chilling dew of night falls upon His prostrate form, but He heeds it not. From His pale lips comes the bitter cry, "O My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me." Yet even now He adds, "Nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt."
     The human heart longs for sympathy in suffering. This longing Christ felt to the very depths of His being. In the supreme agony of His soul He came to His disciples with a yearning desire to hear some words of comfort from those whom He had so often blessed and comforted, and shielded in sorrow and distress. The One who had always had words of sympathy for them was now suffering superhuman agony, and He longed to know that they were praying for Him and for themselves. How dark seemed the malignity of sin! Terrible was the temptation to let the human race bear the consequences of its own guilt, while He stood innocent before God. If He could only know that His disciples understood and appreciated this, He would be strengthened.
     Rising with painful effort, He staggered to the place where He had left His companions. But He "findeth them asleep." Had He found them praying, He would have been relieved. Had they been seeking refuge in God, that satanic agencies might not prevail over them, He would have been comforted by their steadfast faith. But they had not heeded the repeated warning, "Watch and pray." At first they had been much troubled to see their Master, usually so calm and dignified, wrestling with a sorrow that was beyond comprehension. They had prayed as they heard the strong cries of the sufferer. They did not intend to forsake their Lord, but they seemed paralyzed by a stupor which they might have shaken off if they had continued pleading with God. They did not realize the necessity of watchfulness and earnest prayer in order to withstand temptation. 

How very sad. Let us make Jesus smile today.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2022, 09:14:27 AM »
God helps us through Jesus! Contemplate Gethsemane!

Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him. The storm had in nowise abated, but He who was its object was strengthened to meet its fury. He came forth calm and serene. A heavenly peace rested upon His bloodstained face. He had borne that which no human being could ever bear; for He had tasted the sufferings of death for every man. 

What a gift! Let's yield the whole heart to Christ!