Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--72--In Rememberance of Me  (Read 20791 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--72--In Rememberance of Me
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2020, 07:04:07 AM »
"Our Lord has said, "Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. . . . For My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed." John 6:53-55. This is true of our physical nature. To the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life. The bread we eat is the purchase of His broken body. The water we drink is bought by His spilled blood. Never one, saint or sinner, eats his daily food, but he is nourished by the body and the blood of Christ. The cross of Calvary is stamped on every loaf. It is reflected in every water spring. All this Christ has taught in appointing the emblems of His great sacrifice. The light shining from that Communion service in the upper chamber makes sacred the provisions for our daily life. The family board becomes as the table of the Lord, and every meal a sacrament."

As I contemplate once again the sacrifice of our dear Saviour this quote brings to mind the danger of taking for granted the simple yet vitally important blessings that God bestows upon us each day. He uses the simple things of life to teach us powerful lessons that draw us closer to Christ in adoration and love.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2020, 05:10:38 AM »
" He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said, "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:14.

If we are not a "living example" of what we claim to believe and practice might we not be labeled "FAKE NEWS" by those around us!!

"He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said,... "

"God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:14.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2020, 08:37:31 AM »
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9).

"And the Saviour had still another purpose. He had not withheld His ministry from him whom He knew to be a traitor. The disciples did not understand His words when He said at the feet washing, 'Ye are not all clean,' nor yet when at the table He declared, 'He that eateth bread with Me hath lifted up his heel against Me.' John 13:11, 18. But afterward, when His meaning was made plain, they had something to consider as to the patience and mercy of God toward the most grievously erring." {The Desire of Ages, page 655, paragraph 3}

God is patient, but He also lets us choose. Let us remember how Jesus treated Judas as a lesson of why He is being so longsuffering with our world in its deeply wicked state, knowing that there will be many whose hearts will be touched by the exceedingly great loveliness of Jesus and yield fully to Christ and be saved at the eleventh hour of earth's history! When hearts fully yield to Him, all of the fruits of the Spirit supernaturally flow forth from a heart renewed by divine grace, cleansed from selfishness, and imbued with His purity! What a miracle Jesus does by His grace for the whole universe to see!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2020, 10:28:02 PM »
Many have little understanding of the history of the Lord's Supper (communion). It is a blessing for us to see the communion service in the light of the sanctuary and its services.

The ordinances that point to our Lord's humiliation and suffering are regarded too much as a form. They were instituted for a purpose. Our senses need to be quickened to lay hold of the mystery of godliness. It is the privilege of all to comprehend, far more than we do, the expiatory sufferings of Christ. "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," even so has the Son of man been lifted up, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. To the cross of Calvary, bearing a dying Saviour, we must look. Our eternal interests demand that we show faith in Christ.   

Today we have some who have perverted the truth and bring reproach upon the Bible, the church, and Christianity by rejecting Bible truth. God's church has been falsely accused of being Pharisaical. While there are Pharisees in the church, it is our professed obedience to the law of God that Satan has used to bring this charge against His church. But, there are Seventh-day Adventists who claim the feast days are to be kept. They give false support to those who say that we are Pharisees.  The truth from Colossians:

2:14   Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 
 2:15   [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 
 2:16   Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]: 
 2:17   Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ. 

What do we learn from our reading in Desire of Ages?

Christ was standing at the point of transition between two economies and their two great festivals. He, the spotless Lamb of God, was about to present Himself as a sin offering, that He would thus bring to an end the system of types and ceremonies that for four thousand years had pointed to His death. As He ate the Passover with His disciples, He instituted in its place the service that was to be the memorial of His great sacrifice. The national festival of the Jews was to pass away forever. The service which Christ established was to be observed by His followers in all lands and through all ages.
     The Passover was ordained as a commemoration of the deliverance of Israel from Egyptian bondage. God had directed that, year by year, as the children should ask the meaning of this ordinance, the history should be repeated. Thus the wonderful deliverance was to be kept fresh in the minds of all. The ordinance of the Lord's Supper was given to commemorate the great deliverance wrought out as the result of the death of Christ. Till He shall come the second time in power and glory, this ordinance is to be celebrated. It is the means by which His great work for us is to be kept fresh in our minds. 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2020, 04:12:35 AM »
Amen Richard. You have expressed my thoughts exactly as I read through this heart stirring chapter this morning. This service has always had a very special meaning to me and I'm always saddened to see how formal and rushed it has become.

Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary.       

He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said, "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:14.
These soul saving truths should never be overlooked or rushed through.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2020, 06:01:04 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard and Sister Dorine!

What are we looking for?

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you." John 14:27. 

The greatest longing of the soul is for true peace. The only true peace we can have comes from abiding in Jesus, believing that His blood has power to cleanse us from every stain of sin, and allowing the Holy Spirit to renew and transform our hearts and minds to be imbued with the personal presence of Jesus, whereby not only peace, but all of the fruits of the Spirit (without one missing) will be manifest in our lives truly converted!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2021, 07:55:26 AM »
 Judas had not heard the words of Jesus in answer to John's question. But now, to escape the scrutiny of the disciples, he asked as they had done, "Master, is it I?" Jesus solemnly replied, "Thou hast said."   
     In surprise and confusion at the exposure of his purpose, Judas rose hastily to leave the room. "Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly. . . . He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night." Night it was to the traitor as he turned away from Christ into the outer darkness. Until this step was taken, Judas had not passed beyond the possibility of repentance. But when he left the presence of his Lord and his fellow disciples, the final decision had been made. He had passed the boundary line. 

As I read this chapter this morning I was struck by this statement, Jesus bore long with Judas attempting in every way to convert his heart. In the end it was Judas who made the choice, he chose to leave the presence of Jesus, and walk out the door away for Him. So it is in our lives, when we choose to take our eyes  off from Christ, our savior and redeemer, we are lost. As Judas finally grieved away the Holy Spirit so we can do by continually rejecting Christ. This is a very sobering thought. We choose our future life.

Dorine

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2021, 09:14:39 AM »

Amen Philip. The story of Judas is such a sad one. To read of the opportunities Christ gave him to repent shows the patience and love he has for all who harbour self and pride in their hearts. But eventually we make the final choice as to who our master is. What a lesson there is in this story for each of us.

Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary.

Beacon

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2021, 09:23:01 AM »
" He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said..

"God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:14.

If we are not a "living example" of what we claim to believe and practice, might not we be labeled "FAKE NEWS" by those around us!!

"As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2021, 03:40:50 PM »
What is the power of grace that transforms sinners into saints?

pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary.

" He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love.

As I read this chapter this morning I was struck by this statement, Jesus bore long with Judas attempting in every way to convert his heart. In the end it was Judas who made the choice, he chose to leave the presence of Jesus, and walk out the door away for Him. So it is in our lives, when we choose to take our eyes  off from Christ, our savior and redeemer, we are lost. As Judas finally grieved away the Holy Spirit so we can do by continually rejecting Christ. This is a very sobering thought. We choose our future life.

Amen Brother Philip. We close our own probation when we can no longer hear that still small voice calling too us.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2021, 03:31:58 AM »
In a world of strife, confusion and anarchy, where can we safely look continually?

"Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary." {The Desire of Ages, page 661, paragraph 2} 

By beholding we become changed by His grace. By grace through faith we are saved, and we can surrender the whole heart to Jesus to cleanse and purify by His atoning blood, receive all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing as the result of union and communion with Christ, and go forth to be a blessing to the world in the selflessness of Christ who lives out His life in us! What wondrous love is this that we may reflect Him to this world and give the final gospel message of hope before Christ returns in power and great glory!

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2021, 06:24:49 AM »
"As faith contemplates our Lord's great sacrifice, the soul assimilates the spiritual life of Christ. That soul will receive spiritual strength from every Communion. The service forms a living connection by which the believer is bound up with Christ, and thus bound up with the Father."

In a special sense it forms a connection between dependent human beings and God...

The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said,"... "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:14.

How are we treat those whom we may think to be unworthy when they come to the communion service?

"When we suppose one to be in error and sin, we are not to divorce ourselves from him."

By no careless separation are we to leave him a prey to temptation, or drive him upon Satan's battleground. This is not Christ's method. It was because the disciples were erring and faulty that He washed their feet, and all but one of the twelve were thus brought to repentance."

Why is it so important for us to reflect upon the communion service?

"It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit.

If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross."

Philip T

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2021, 08:11:33 AM »
     These are the things we are never to forget. The love of Jesus, with its constraining power, is to be kept fresh in our memory. Christ has instituted this service that it may speak to our senses of the love of God that has been expressed in our behalf. There can be no union between our souls and God except through Christ. The union and love between brother and brother must be cemented and rendered eternal by the love of Jesus. And nothing less than the death of Christ could make His love efficacious for us. It is only because of His death that we can look with joy to His second coming. His sacrifice is the center of our hope. Upon this we must fix our faith.

The reading today was very thought provoking. The Passover feast was a forerunner to the communion service it looked forward to Jesus love for all peoples and his sacrifice on the cross. The communion service looks back to the blood spilled in Christs death ratified the covenant of the communion service. It is only because Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and the claiming through faith Jesus spilled blood, the sinless blood of Jesus, and claiming that gift of grace, that we can partake looking forward the that great day of his 2nd Advent with joy and expectation.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2021, 08:22:41 PM »
Don't deceived by false teachers. The power of grace is to cleanse the heart whiter than fresh fallen snow. Then we are filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit. We must drink His blood and eat His flesh daily. And, by beholding His grace we are transformed into His character (2Cor. 3:18).

With hearts cleansed by Christ's most precious blood, in full consciousness of His presence, although unseen, they are to hear His words, "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you." John 14:27. 

His sacrifice is the center of our hope. Upon this we must fix our faith.

"As faith contemplates our Lord's great sacrifice, the soul assimilates the spiritual life of Christ. That soul will receive spiritual strength from every Communion.The service forms a living connection by which the believer is bound up with Christ, and thus bound up with the Father."

"....the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary."

Dorine

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2021, 05:16:17 AM »
"Our Lord says, Under conviction of sin, remember that I died for you. When oppressed and persecuted and afflicted for My sake and the gospel's, remember My love, so great that for you I gave My life. When your duties appear stern and severe, and your burdens too heavy to bear, remember that for your sake I endured the cross, despising the shame. When your heart shrinks from the trying ordeal, remember that your Redeemer liveth to make intercession for you."

A flood of peace, humility and gratitude sweep over the life of one who reads these words and believes them.  It comes as a gift from God as we behold Jesus. As we "look" we are drawn to the love of God.  Accepting Jesus' sacrifice the Holy Spirit imparts life to our weak and hungry souls. Divinity and humanity will be in harmony with each other. Because of this union of surrender and trust we may go through any trial that is before us. What a wonderful and precious God we serve.

Beacon

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2021, 07:32:00 AM »
"He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love...

.. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said,... "

"God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.' Galatians 6:14.

"It is by receiving the life for us poured out on Calvary's cross, that we can live the life of holiness"..

..[b]And this life we receive by receiving His word, by doing those things which He has commanded. Thus we become one with Him. "He that eateth My flesh," He says, "and drinketh My blood, dwelleth in Me, and I in him. As the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth Me, even he shall live by Me." John 6:54, 56, 57. To the holy Communion this scripture in a special sense applies... [/b][/size][/color]

..As faith contemplates our Lord's great sacrifice, the soul assimilates the spiritual life of Christ. That soul will receive spiritual strength from every Communion. The service forms a living connection by which the believer is bound up with Christ, and thus bound up with the Father. In a special sense it forms a connection between dependent human beings and God."

To be more like Jesus,,,to grow in grace with love and forgiveness towards others &, to be willing to exemplify by my life and love for others what the transforming  power of God's Amazing Grace can do if we are willing to surrender to Him. That is my desire, how about YOU?[/b]

Not I, but Christ be honored, loved, exalted,
Not I, but Christ be seen, be known and heard;
Not I, but Christ in every look and action,
Not I, but Christ in every thought and word.
Oh, to be saved from myself, dear Lord,
Oh, to be lost in Thee, Oh, that it may be no more I,..

But Christ that lives in me.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »
If only Christians would take this to heart and truly believe!

He who beholds the Saviour's matchless love will be elevated in thought, purified in heart, transformed in character. He will go forth to be a light to the world, to reflect in some degree this mysterious love. The more we contemplate the cross of Christ, the more fully shall we adopt the language of the apostle when he said, "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:14. 

Dorine

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2021, 05:19:56 AM »
"Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary." 

Amen. If you haven't experienced new life in Christ, stop and spend more time reflecting on what Jesus has done for each of us. It should break our hearts as we by faith look upon His bruised and bleeding body hanging from that object of torture. If we do not turn our hearts away from the urging of the Holy Spirit we will be drawn into the atmosphere of heaven and surrender our cold, indifferent attitudes. No sin can hide in the heart that is fully surrendered to God.

Philip T

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2021, 07:27:52 AM »
  [size=12pt]Though Jesus knew Judas from the beginning, He washed his feet. And the betrayer was privileged to unite with Christ in partaking of the sacrament. A long-suffering Saviour held out every inducement for the sinner to receive Him, to repent, and to be cleansed from the defilement of sin. This example is for us. When we suppose one to be in error and sin, we are not to divorce ourselves from him. By no careless separation are we to leave him a prey to temptation, or drive him upon Satan's battleground. This is not Christ's method. It was because the disciples were erring and faulty that He washed their feet, and all but one of the twelve were thus brought to repentance. [/size]

Jesus knew Judas would betray Him from the start, yet He labored and did everything to bring Judas to salvation, as he did the other disciples and they all came except Judas, so we are to labor to save all to Christ, we are not to pick and choose, but all who come we are to plant seeds with.  God would that all are to be saved.

Beacon

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2021, 09:08:45 AM »
"Our Lord says, Under conviction of sin, remember that I died for you."

"When oppressed and persecuted and afflicted for My sake and the gospel's, remember My love, is so great that for you I gave My life."

"When your duties appear stern and severe, and your burdens too heavy to bear, remember that for your sake I endured the cross, despising the shame. When your heart shrinks from the trying ordeal, remember that your Redeemer liveth to make intercession for you."

"As faith contemplates our Lord's great sacrifice, the soul assimilates the spiritual life of Christ. "

"That soul will receive spiritual strength from every Communion. The service forms a living connection by which the believer is bound up with Christ, and thus bound up with the Father. In a special sense it forms a connection between dependent human beings and God."

As we contemplate the tremendous sacrifice of our Lord I pray that we will daily take the time to contemplate His matchless love for us all.