Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--71--A Servant of Servants  (Read 22782 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--71--A Servant of Servants
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 03:34:05 AM »
Jesus has set the example. He washed His disciples feet to show us how we are by love to serve one another. When we yield the whole heart to Jesus, He lives in the heart by His Spirit manifest in all of the fruits of the Spirit—not one will be missing. May we abide in Christ by beholding Christ continually!!

“Jesus, the served of all, came to be the servant of all. And because He ministered to all, He will again be served and honored by all. And those who would partake of His divine attributes, and share with Him the joy of seeing souls redeemed, must follow His example of unselfish ministry.” – {The Desire of Ages, page 651, paragraph 3}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 05:31:06 AM »
Amen! Pastor Sean. So all those who are partakers of the divine nature will desire and want to do some kind of ministry even if it's in "just" the home. What does that look like? When thinking about your post I remembered this from Christ Object Lessons.

There are many who have given themselves to Christ, yet who see no opportunity of doing a large work or making great sacrifices in His service. These may find comfort in the thought that it is not necessarily the martyr’s self-surrender which is most acceptable to God; it may not be the missionary who has daily faced danger and death that stands highest in heaven’s records. The Christian who is such in his private life, in the daily surrender of self, in sincerity of purpose and purity of thought, in meekness under provocation, in faith and piety, in fidelity in that which is least, the one who in the home life represents the character of Christ—such a one may in the sight of God be more precious than even the world-renowned missionary or martyr. {COL 403.2}

Oh, how different are the standards by which God and men measure character. God sees many temptations resisted of which the world and even near friends never know—temptations in the home, in the heart. He sees the soul’s humility in view of its own weakness; the sincere repentance over even a thought that is evil. He sees the wholehearted devotion to His service. He has noted the hours of hard battle with self—battle that won the victory. All this God and angels know. A book of remembrance is written before Him for them that fear the Lord and that think upon His name. {COL 403.3}

Not in our learning, not in our position, not in our numbers or entrusted talents, not in the will of man, is to be found the secret of success. Feeling our inefficiency we are to contemplate Christ, and through Him who is the strength of all strength, the thought of all thought, the willing and obedient will gain victory after victory. {COL 404.1}
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 05:56:42 AM »
I've been truly blessed this morning as I read "A Servant of Servants."  When we are open to what God wants to reveal to us about our own hearts condition we will see things that we were once blind to. It would be well for us to read this chapter during the week leading up to each communion service. Our hearts would then be humbled and ready for true fellowship with Christ and each other.
  " This ordinance is Christ's appointed preparation for the sacramental service. While pride, variance, and strife for supremacy are cherished, the heart cannot enter into fellowship with Christ. We are not prepared to receive the communion of His body and His blood. Therefore it was that Jesus appointed the memorial of His humiliation to be first observed.
     As they come to this ordinance, the children of God should bring to remembrance the words of the Lord of life and glory: "Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call Me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them." There is in man a disposition to esteem himself more highly than his brother, to work for self, to seek the highest place; and often this results in evil surmisings and bitterness of spirit. The ordinance preceding the Lord's Supper is to clear away these misunderstandings, to bring man out of his selfishness, down from his stilts of self-exaltation, to the humility of heart that will lead him to serve his brother."
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »
There are many lessons in today's reading, but none are greater than what brought joy to the heart of Jesus:

“ the joy of seeing souls redeemed

And, what brings joy to you and me? Seeing souls redeemed! What a privilege it is to be workers together with God for the saving of souls. What God can do through repentant sinners is seen on the Day of Pentecost when thousands were converted. What can we do that will produce such a harvest? We need to be filled with the Spirit of God that we might walk in the Spirit, not in the flesh.  What has Jesus given to us that might hasten the soon coming of Jesus? He gave us an example when He washed the feet of His disciples. Foot washing is more than the cleansing of feet. We see in it a power that transforms sinners into saints. What is that power?

It is the grace by which we are saved. Many in the church have failed to see this lesson in the ceremony. If we prayerfully study the matter, we will gain an understanding as to how we can give glory to God by continually walking in the Spirit, rather than walking in the flesh. The foundation principle is the gospel of grace. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8.

Listen to the words of Jesus and learn how He was able to transform eleven sinners into saints by washing their feet. Sadly, it was only temporary, for later that night, self rose up in every one of His disciples and they deserted Him. But, that does not change the lesson we learn as we study what Jesus said and did that last night before His death.

As the disciples watched Christ's action, they were greatly moved. When Peter's turn came, he exclaimed with astonishment, "Lord, dost Thou wash my feet?" Christ's condescension broke his heart. He was filled with shame to think that one of the disciples was not performing this service. "What I do," Christ said, "thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter." Peter could not bear to see his Lord, whom he believed to be the Son of God, acting the part of a servant. His whole soul rose up against this humiliation. He did not realize that for this Christ came into the world. With great emphasis he exclaimed, "Thou shalt never wash my feet."   
     Solemnly Christ said to Peter, "If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with Me." The service which Peter refused was the type of a higher cleansing. Christ had come to wash the heart from the stain of sin. In refusing to allow Christ to wash his feet, Peter was refusing the higher cleansing included in the lower. He was really rejecting his Lord. It is not humiliating to the Master to allow Him to work for our purification. The truest humility is to receive with thankful heart any provision made in our behalf, and with earnestness do service for Christ.   
     At the words, "If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with Me," Peter surrendered his pride and self-will. He could not endure the thought of separation from Christ; that would have been death to him. "Not my feet only," he said, "but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit."
     These words mean more than bodily cleanliness. Christ is still speaking of the higher cleansing as illustrated by the lower. He who came from the bath was clean, but the sandaled feet soon became dusty, and again needed to be washed. So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace. When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words.

Yes, all save Judas were reconverted that night by the revelation of grace. So it is when we minister to others, the revelation of grace is what transforms sinners into saints. It is the goodness of God taken into the heart that brings about a repentance not to be repented of.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 05:05:17 AM »
Like Peter and his brethren, we too have been washed in the blood of Christ, yet often through contact with evil the heart's purity is soiled. We must come to Christ for His cleansing grace. Peter shrank from bringing his soiled feet in contact with the hands of his Lord and Master; but how often we bring our sinful, polluted hearts in contact with the heart of Christ! How grievous to Him is our evil temper, our vanity and pride! Yet all our infirmity and defilement we must bring to Him. He alone can wash us clean. We are not prepared for communion with Him unless cleansed by His efficacy.

This reminded me of Adam and Eve's reaction after eating the fruit when the Lord sought them out. Instead of trusting Him and looking to Him for help they ran and hid themselves because of their sin and shame. And so it is today, it's the nature of sin to cause us to run away from the only One who can help us and yet we must go to Him so He can cleanse us and remove our shame.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 07:26:04 AM »
"These words mean more than bodily cleanliness. Christ is still speaking of the higher cleansing as illustrated by the lower. He who came from the bath was clean, but the sandaled feet soon became dusty, and again needed to be washed. So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace. When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, 'Ye are clean.' Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words." {The Desire of Ages, page 646, paragraph 3}

The union of heart is what Christ brings to us as we abide in Him and are willing for others to have a higher place than us if that is God's will. We accept God's choice for us in all things. Christ modeled this complete surrender to the Father's will; in washing the disciples' feet, their hearts were brought into union and communion with Him, which is the joy and fellowship brought about in conversion. Only Judas would not surrender. May we come to Jesus to be cleansed and kept by His grace from separating from Him is my prayer!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »
"When the Saviour's hands were bathing those soiled feet, and wiping them with the towel, the heart of Judas thrilled through and through with the impulse then and there to confess his sin. But he would not humble himself. He hardened his heart against repentance; and the old impulses, for the moment put aside, again controlled him. Judas was now offended at Christ's act in washing the feet of His disciples. If Jesus could so humble Himself, he thought, He could not be Israel's king. All hope of worldly honor in a temporal kingdom was destroyed. Judas was satisfied that there was nothing to be gained by following Christ. After seeing Him degrade Himself, as he thought, he was confirmed in his purpose to disown Him, and confess himself deceived. He was possessed by a demon, and he resolved to complete the work he had agreed to do in betraying his Lord."

This must have wrung the heart of Jesus, knowing that Judas was so close to receiving Him and yet so far. I give my heart again today to the one who went through all He did and He would have done it for only one. This thought overwhelms me as I again read this account of the upper room experience.  This is not a reading to read through quickly. We should savour every word for there are principles here that Christ wants us to understand and practice. Do we really understand what it means to be a 'servant'?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »
That's a good question, Sister Dorine. All who love Jesus supremely, experience the joy of sharing Him with others. All of the disciples were willing to concede the highest place to another, except for Judas. They would wash each others feet after they received the grace of God into their hearts. They were re-converted, self was dead. Our great joy in life is ministering to others, even those who hurt us. When we behold Jesus suffering for our sins, kneeling at the foot of the cross is not low enough. 

In washing the feet of His disciples, Christ gave evidence that He would do any service, however humble, that would make them heirs with Him of the eternal wealth of heaven's treasure. His disciples, in performing the same rite, pledge themselves in like manner to serve their brethren. Whenever this ordinance is rightly celebrated, the children of God are brought into a holy relationship, to help and bless each other. They covenant that the life shall be given to unselfish ministry. And this, not only for one another. Their field of labor is as wide as their Master's was. The world is full of those who need our ministry. The poor, the helpless, the ignorant, are on every hand. Those who have communed with Christ in the upper chamber will go forth to minister as He did.   
     Jesus, the served of all, came to be the servant of all. And because He ministered to all, He will again be served and honored by all. And those who would partake of His divine attributes, and share with Him the joy of seeing souls redeemed, must follow His example of unselfish ministry. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 05:23:27 AM »
So Christ expressed His love for His disciples. Their selfish spirit filled Him with sorrow, but He entered into no controversy with them regarding their difficulty. Instead He gave them an example they would never forget. His love for them was not easily disturbed or quenched. He knew that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He came from God, and went to God. He had a full consciousness of His divinity; but He had laid aside His royal crown and kingly robes, and had taken the form of a servant. One of the last acts of His life on earth was to gird Himself as a servant, and perform a servant's part.

What a wonderful example we have in how Christ treated others even profession Christians. His love and patience was not easily disturbed and instead found a way to show them and be an example of what we all should become with Christ's help.

Dorine

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 06:32:56 AM »
  "To those who receive the spirit of this service, it can never become a mere ceremonial. Its constant lesson will be, "By love serve one another." Galatians 5:13. In washing the feet of His disciples, Christ gave evidence that He would do any service, however humble, that would make them heirs with Him of the eternal wealth of heaven's treasure. His disciples, in performing the same rite, pledge themselves in like manner to serve their brethren. Whenever this ordinance is rightly celebrated, the children of God are brought into a holy relationship, to help and bless each other. They covenant that the life shall be given to unselfish ministry. And this, not only for one another. Their field of labor is as wide as their Master's was. The world is full of those who need our ministry. The poor, the helpless, the ignorant, are on every hand. Those who have communed with Christ in the upper chamber will go forth to minister as He did."      

This is a beautiful service that draws God's saints together in harmony with God and each other. Even if we have entered the sanctuary with an unhappy spirit this is the time to make things right with God and any we may have offended. Then we can enter the communion service with joy and peace knowing all is right with God and others; sharing in the bread, wine and testimonies. From there we are ready to serve and bless others in a spirit that can't help but reveal God's love to all mankind. Jesus is my example every day and by His grace, I commit this day to follow Him.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
Amen, Jim and Dorine! We are so blessed to have a Savior who loves us so much that He rebukes and chastens us not necessarily by words, but by His unselfish life that did not stop treating us with unselfish love. I am so thankful that all Jesus convicts of is a revelation of His grace and power to cleanse us from it, and make us like Him in mind and character. What a blessing to approach communion when the heart has been cleansed by His efficacy, and we are imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing flowing out in willing service to God and others. What a Savior we have! What grace to change a wretch like me to make me into a servant like Him!

"The holy Watcher from heaven is present at this season to make it one of soul searching, of conviction of sin, and of the blessed assurance of sins forgiven. Christ in the fullness of His grace is there to change the current of the thoughts that have been running in selfish channels. The Holy Spirit quickens the sensibilities of those who follow the example of their Lord. As the Saviour's humiliation for us is remembered, thought links with thought; a chain of memories is called up, memories of God's great goodness and of the favor and tenderness of earthly friends. Blessings forgotten, mercies abused, kindnesses slighted, are called to mind. Roots of bitterness that have crowded out the precious plant of love are made manifest. Defects of character, neglect of duties, ingratitude to God, coldness toward our brethren, are called to remembrance. Sin is seen in the light in which God views it. Our thoughts are not thoughts of self-complacency, but of severe self-censure and humiliation. The mind is energized to break down every barrier that has caused alienation. Evil thinking and evilspeaking are put away. Sins are confessed, they are forgiven. The subduing grace of Christ comes into the soul, and the love of Christ draws hearts together in a blessed unity." {The Desire of Ages, page 650, paragraph 5}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 08:53:23 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! Grace is more than a word, it is the power that transforms Sinners into Saints. It was Grace that touched the hearts of the disciples that night when Jesus washed their dirty feet. They didn't deserve to have God washing their feet, they ought to have washed His feet. This was Grace. It melted their hearts and converted them that night. All except Judas where reconverted. This is the all important lesson that we must not only learn, but avail ourselves of each day. It is by beholding Jesus that we become converted. We must die daily. 2 Corinthians 3:18 is the key to not only being converted, but maintaining that connection with Christ.

When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 05:31:20 AM »
Do you like to receive gifts? If our hearts are humble and surrendered fully to Christ, we will be open to whatever gift He wants to give us--even if it goes against the grain of our fallen nature. In fact, true humility means that we gladly receive every gift Christ longs to impart to us and then gladly seek to find how we may share that blessing with others. The greatest gift Christ can give us--the greatest miracle--is a consistent life in Him that reveals more fully each day all of the fruits of His Spirit so that not one is missing as we gladly obey all the light shining upon us from God's law of love! He will wash our hearts and minds by imbuing us with His attributes! Praise the Lord!

"Solemnly Christ said to Peter, 'If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with Me.' The service which Peter refused was the type of a higher cleansing. Christ had come to wash the heart from the stain of sin. In refusing to allow Christ to wash his feet, Peter was refusing the higher cleansing included in the lower. He was really rejecting his Lord. It is not humiliating to the Master to allow Him to work for our purification. The truest humility is to receive with thankful heart any provision made in our behalf, and with earnestness do service for Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 646, paragraph 1}

Dorine

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 08:44:52 AM »
"The Holy Spirit quickens the sensibilities of those who follow the example of their Lord. As the Saviour's humiliation for us is remembered, thought links with thought; a chain of memories is called up, memories of God's great goodness and of the favor and tenderness of earthly friends. Blessings forgotten, mercies abused, kindnesses slighted, are called to mind. Roots of bitterness that have crowded out the precious plant of love are made manifest. Defects of character, neglect of duties, ingratitude to God, coldness toward our brethren, are called to remembrance. Sin is seen in the light in which God views it. Our thoughts are not thoughts of self-complacency, but of severe self-censure and humiliation. The mind is energized to break down every barrier that has caused alienation. Evil thinking and evilspeaking are put away. Sins are confessed, they are forgiven. The subduing grace of Christ comes into the soul, and the love of Christ draws hearts together in a blessed unity."

I can't help but think of Judas. He had the same privileges and opportunities as all of the disciples. As they went into the upper room all the disciples were struggling with feelings of envy, pride, jealousy etc. They were not prepared to partake of the Passover.

When Jesus took His place as servant to wash the disciples feet every heart was deeply touched. Even Judas! But his pride kept him from surrendering his heart to Jesus while the rest of the disciples hearts broke. Then we see the miracle working power of the Holy Spirit to completely change the hearts of all but Judas.

How dangerous and destructive the evil of pride is.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »
Amen and amen. The grace of God will cleanse the heart from the stain of sin and make it white as snow. Where is pride in the heart of one whose heart has been cleansed? There is none, not even hidden pride.

The disciples all were not in a converted state when they entered the upper room. Self was alive in each one. It is not that they had never been converted. We do not believe in once saved always saved, but many believe in a form of it. They believe they still have eternal life (salvation) when they sin a known sin. In other words, they believe their profession of faith is enough. But, this is not Biblical. God requires that we love Him with the whole heart, not part of it.

So Christ expressed His love for His disciples. Their selfish spirit filled Him with sorrow, but He entered into no controversy with them regarding their difficulty.

Instead, He revealed His love for them while they were yet sinners. It is by grace we are saved. He showed grace to them. They ought to have washed His dirty feet, but they did not. They would not. Why? Pride was in their hearts. But, grace cleanses the heart from pride, from self. How did Jesus reveal grace? He washed their dirty feet. It broke all of their hearts, except for Jesus. The longer we resist His grace, the easier to resist it.

I can't help but think of Judas. He had the same privileges and opportunities as all of the disciples. As they went into the upper room all the disciples were struggling with feelings of envy, pride, jealousy etc. They were not prepared to partake of the Passover.

When Jesus took His place as servant to wash the disciples feet every heart was deeply touched. Even Judas! But his pride kept him from surrendering his heart to Jesus while the rest of the disciples hearts broke. Then we see the miracle working power of the Holy Spirit to completely change the hearts of all but Judas.
Amen, dear Sister.

Beacon

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 08:15:30 PM »
Christ knew that the time had come for Him to depart out of the world, and go to His Father. And having loved His own that were in the world, He loved them unto the end. He was now in the shadow of the cross, and the pain was torturing His heart. He knew that He would be deserted in the hour of His betrayal. He knew that by the most humiliating process to which criminals were subjected He would be put to death. He knew the ingratitude and cruelty of those He had come to save. He knew how great the sacrifice that He must make, and for how many it would be in vain. Knowing all that was before Him, He might naturally have been overwhelmed with the thought of His own humiliation and suffering. But He looked upon the twelve, who had been with Him as His own, and who, after His shame and sorrow and painful usage were over, would be left to struggle in the world. His thoughts of what He Himself must suffer were ever connected with His disciples. He did not think of Himself. His care for them was uppermost in His mind.

The holy Watcher from heaven is present at this season to make it one of soul searching, of conviction of sin, and of the blessed assurance of sins forgiven. In washing the feet of His disciples, Christ gave evidence that He would do any service, however humble, that would make them heirs with Him of the eternal wealth of heaven's treasure.

His disciples, in performing the same rite, pledge themselves in like manner to serve their brethren. Whenever this ordinance is rightly celebrated, the children of God are brought into a holy relationship, to help and bless each other. They covenant that the life shall be given to unselfish ministry. And this, not only for one another. Their field of labor is as wide as their Master's was. The world is full of those who need our ministry. The poor, the helpless, the ignorant, are on every hand. Those who have communed with Christ in the upper chamber will go forth to minister as He did.

There is a song in our hymn book #311 the title of which is " I WOULD BE LIKE JESUS... and if you truly want real JOY in your life,  you must put Jesus first  O thers second Y yourself last.

May we be willing to be LIKE JESUS and thereby find real purpose, happiness, and peace as we minister to others. Thereby bringing JOY to JESUS who has made it all possible
Look up and listen for the shout.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 06:03:41 AM »
How could He show that it is loving service, true humility, which constitutes real greatness? How was He to kindle love in their hearts, and enable them to comprehend what He longed to tell them?

As always our loving Savior showed by living out His character in front of them. He demonstrated by His own actions and it was their love for Him that broke them down that He would stoop to such a level. Something that even they refused to do. So it can be with us when Christ is in our hearts, that we can demonstrate love towards others both those close to us and those we meet in the world.

Dorine

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 07:07:46 AM »
"Like Peter and his brethren, we too have been washed in the blood of Christ, yet often through contact with evil the heart's purity is soiled. We must come to Christ for His cleansing grace. Peter shrank from bringing his soiled feet in contact with the hands of his Lord and Master; but how often we bring our sinful, polluted hearts in contact with the heart of Christ! How grievous to Him is our evil temper, our vanity and pride! Yet all our infirmity and defilement we must bring to Him. He alone can wash us clean. We are not prepared for communion with Him unless cleansed by His efficacy."

This is such an important truth to understand and believe. No matter how evil our past, God wants us to bring it all to Him. But there are many who have never strayed from the church or it's standards but have harboured in their hearts traits of character just like the disciples.

We can look good on the outside but inside can be rotten. Sometimes that is harder to reach than the outward, obvious sins. I am ever so grateful to the lengths God has gone and still does to show us our condition. It's with such love and mercy even though we deserve death.

There's another important point that Richard brought out in November of last year on this subject. Here is his quote:

"The disciples all were not in a converted state when they entered the upper room. Self was alive in each one. It is not that they had never been converted. We do not believe in once saved always saved, but many believe in a form of it. They believe they still have eternal life (salvation) when they sin a known sin. In other words, they believe their profession of faith is enough. But, this is not Biblical. God requires that we love Him with the whole heart, not part of it."

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 07:28:12 AM »
Amen, Beacon and Dorine! And Jim, I appreciated your post, but in prayerfully reflecting on it, I believe you meant "it was His love for them" rather than "it was their love for Him" in the following sentence, based on the context of your post.

He demonstrated by His own actions and it was their love for Him that broke them down that He would stoop to such a level.

Jesus' love manifested in washing the disciples' feet was the most effective way to reach each of their hearts that was open to the influence of divine love. All except Judas yielded their hearts, and experienced conversion anew, the fruit of a full surrender to Jesus.

I am so happy to have a remnant-online family such as you all, and how we can edify and encourage one another in beholding the loveliness of Jesus!

I was blessed by reflecting on how we can bless Jesus today--by gratefully cooperating with Him in our purification from sin so our lives can be transformed vessels through which all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest in unselfish labor to save others!

"It is not humiliating to the Master to allow Him to work for our purification. The truest humility is to receive with thankful heart any provision made in our behalf, and with earnestness do service for Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 646, paragraph 1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 07:45:16 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean! That we might be like Jesus! We are here shown how it can be.

This is a most wonderful chapter, especially for our church. Laodicea is an unconverted church, many not knowing they are not fully surrendered to Christ. Romans 7 is an experience that many have not entered into. Why not? Because they do not see themselves as did Saul when he discovered he was not keeping the law of God. After we discover our true condition as did Saul the Persecutor, then we will seek out a Savior. As Brother Beacon has presented, when we have Jesus, then we have love, joy, and peace.

Brother Jim has shared how it is that we are converted, how it is that we will love Jesus because He has first loved us. Peter's heart was broken because Jesus stooped to wash his feet, the part of a servant. This is what is called grace, unmerited favor. It is that that causes sinners, us, to fall on our faces and worship Jesus. Then, we will be witnesses of His grace in our own lives. It is this that God wants, for it is this grace manifested in the church that will cause others in the world to see God's love and be converted. When the church is converted, then Jesus can come and take us home.

Sister Dorine has pinpointed that which the church has not discerned. It is not until we understand what it means to be converted that we will see our continual need of Jesus in order to be saved. Even when we have been converted, we still need to understand we need to die daily. And this can only be when we come back to Jesus for grace. Like Peter's experience, often through contact with evil we dirty the clean heart. It is by continual communion with Christ that we can cease crucifying Christ afresh.

"Like Peter and his brethren, we too have been washed in the blood of Christ, yet often through contact with evil the heart's purity is soiled. We must come to Christ for His cleansing grace. Peter shrank from bringing his soiled feet in contact with the hands of his Lord and Master; but how often we bring our sinful, polluted hearts in contact with the heart of Christ! How grievous to Him is our evil temper, our vanity and pride! Yet all our infirmity and defilement we must bring to Him. He alone can wash us clean. We are not prepared for communion with Him unless cleansed by His efficacy."

This is such an important truth to understand and believe. No matter how evil our past, God wants us to bring it all to Him. But there are many who have never strayed from the church or it's standards but have harboured in their hearts traits of character just like the disciples.

We can look good on the outside but inside can be rotten. Sometimes that is harder to reach than the outward, obvious sins. I am ever so grateful to the lengths God has gone and still does to show us our condition. It's with such love and mercy even though we deserve death.

It is this grace that will convert the church. Then, as Sister Marelis has suggested that the church will be servants to all who are in need of help and grace. The sick, the elderly, and the widows and orphans will not be neglected.