Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--70-- "The Least of These My Brethren"  (Read 20305 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--70-- "The Least of These My Brethren"
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2021, 05:52:22 AM »
"Love to man is the earthward manifestation of the love of God. It was to implant this love, to make us children of one family, that the King of glory became one with us. And when His parting words are fulfilled, "Love one another, as I have loved you" (John 15:12); when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished. We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts."

Amen. I pray for this every day. We say we love God but if our thoughts are only for ourselves and those closest to us then we do not love God. This chapter tells of the suffering ones that are among us but many times we do not perceive it. And many that do see it are indifferent to it. We may give to food banks or ministries that are doing the best they can to supply the needs of many but what about that personal touch that shows how much we care. Food banks don't supply the spiritual nourishment that is needed. Those that are trapped in poverty or are discouraged or in trouble need a friend who cares about them. Jesus is the perfect example of how that is done.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2021, 06:56:58 AM »
Praise the Lord for these posts!!

How would you like heaven to be in your heart?

“Love to man is the earthward manifestation of the love of God. It was to implant this love, to make us children of one family, that the King of glory became one with us. And when His parting words are fulfilled, ‘Love one another, as I have loved you’ (John 15:12); when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished. We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts.” {The Desire of Ages, page 641, paragraph 3}

May this be your experience by an entire surrender to Christ who will recreate you in His image of loveliness!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Philip T

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2021, 08:32:31 AM »
But "if thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain; if thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not He that pondereth the heart consider it? and He that keepeth thy soul, doth not He know it? and shall not He render to every man according to his works?" Proverbs 24:11, 12. In the great Judgment day, those who have not worked for Christ, who have drifted along thinking of themselves, caring for themselves, will be placed by the Judge of the whole earth with those who did evil. They receive the same condemnation.

Amen brother Bacon, Sister Dorine, and Pastor Sean.

To profess to be a follower of Christ is not enough, if we do not put our faith and belief to work in Gods fields of labor, but stay focused totally on self, seeking our own comfort, and caring for just ourselves when judgement from God comes, we will be judged as the wicked and be condemned to everlasting death.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2021, 09:39:37 PM »
I think we all got the message!  The golden rule is not an option. It is the only way one may enter heaven, but doing for others what we would have the do for us. What if we do not follow this rule?

But "if thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain; if thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not He that pondereth the heart consider it? and He that keepeth thy soul, doth not He know it? and shall not He render to every man according to his works?" Proverbs 24:11, 12. In the great Judgment day, those who have not worked for Christ, who have drifted along thinking of themselves, caring for themselves, will be placed by the Judge of the whole earth with those who did evil. They receive the same condemnation.
     To every soul a trust is given. Of everyone the Chief Shepherd will demand, "Where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock?" And "what wilt thou say when He shall punish thee?" Jeremiah 13:20, 21. 

Many do not like to read this, many do not believe it. But, our lesson spoke of it and closed with it. "He shall punish thee" if we are not transformed in nature so that we love God and our neighbor with all of the heart. A simple truth not often preached from the pulpit. Why not? Because Satan works very hard to separate God's justice from His mercy. They are not to be separated. They met and kissed at the cross.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2021, 04:29:17 AM »

As I reread the posts this morning I was uplifted by this post Marelis made 3 years ago of her precious daughters and dear mother. May her testimony inspire us to look deeper into our own lives and ask what we are doing for Jesus through caring for those in need.

I have always wished I could visit the land where Jesus walked but my thoughts have changed since reading this impressive paragraph from our reading today.

"Many feel that it would be a great privilege to visit the scenes of Christ's life on earth, to walk where He trod, to look upon the lake beside which He loved to teach, and the hills and valleys on which His eyes so often rested. But we need not go to Nazareth, to Capernaum, or to Bethany, in order to walk in the steps of Jesus. We shall find His footprints beside the sickbed, in the hovels of poverty, in the crowded alleys of the great city, and in every place where there are human hearts in need of consolation. In doing as Jesus did when on earth, we shall walk in His steps."
It can be overwhelming to think about all the need around us in our neighbourhoods, towns and cities, Dorine. This is a lovely quote from Sr White.

My daughters, 20 and 18, each have beautiful hearts for helping and blessing others. Each girl is different. One connects with the homeless. She sits and reads to them, talks with them and eats with them. She gives the clothing off her own back. I remember when she would go to a slum where she knew a family and would sit and chat with children with their broken toys. How she approached a local high school principal in a rough neighborhood and asked if she might be able to speak with youths who enjoy learning but who were struggling in their adversity. And they let her. The other girl enjoys cleaning for the elderly, giving them company, grooming them. She connects very well with depressed youths and calls them, spends time with them. The mothers of two such youths recently contacted me to tell me that my daughter has been a godsend to their child. 

I was just thinking of my own lovely mother, JimB, who is herself an infirmed shut-in. She can barely walk, barely use her hands, her sparrow body gnarled from arthritis. But she ministers in her own way from the confines of her home. She phones, writes sweet letters to and remembers the birthdays of lonely women the Lord brings her into contact with.

There is something we can each do regardless of our age to diffuse the love of Christ, as Pr Sean put so nicely. The Lord will multiply our five loaves and two fishes. The circle of blessing. We are blessed. We bless. And those we bless go on to bless others.

What a ministry and so simple.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2021, 05:23:11 AM »
You have infinite value--yes, YOU! What you pay for something reveals its value, and since Jesus paid His very LIFE for us with His DEATH on Calvary, we can see that every soul is worth more than worlds, because the One who can by a word create entire planets and galaxies created and redeemed us! Oh, let us look to Jesus and not miss the blessed opportunities to show His love to others, for Jesus said: "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me" (Matthew 25:40). We get to be part of His royal family!! He sends His angels to help us all get home to heaven! May you surrender unreservedly to His will so He can guide you to heaven and help bring many others to heaven, too! Jesus is coming again SO SOON!!!

"The angels of heaven are sent forth to minister to those who shall be heirs of salvation. We know not now who they are; it is not yet made manifest who shall overcome, and share the inheritance of the saints in light; but angels of heaven are passing throughout the length and breadth of the earth, seeking to comfort the sorrowing, to protect the imperiled, to win the hearts of men to Christ. Not one is neglected or passed by. God is no respecter of persons, and He has an equal care for all the souls He has created." {The Desire of Ages, page 639, paragraph 1}

May the love of Christ constrain you forward in His infinite will of redeeming grace to transform sinners into saints. Let us not look at the outward appearance of people as to know their value, but keep our eyes fixed on Calvary's cross to know that no matter how fallen or sinful, each soul is worth more than the universe, because Jesus created the universe and gave Himself for that soul!! Speak words of grace and truth so souls can come to Christ as you treat them with the medical missionary healing ways of Jesus working through you!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2021, 06:18:47 AM »
"In the great Judgment day, those who have not worked for Christ, who have drifted along thinking of themselves, caring for themselves, will be placed by the Judge of the whole earth with those who did evil. They receive the same condemnation."

"To every soul a trust is given. Of everyone the Chief Shepherd will demand....

"Where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock?" And, "what wilt thou say when He shall punish thee?" Jeremiah 13:20, 21.

"Those who minister to others will be ministered unto by the Chief Shepherd."

"They themselves will drink of the living water, and will be satisfied. They will not be longing for exciting amusements, or for some change in their lives. The great topic of interest will be, how to save the souls that are ready to perish. Social intercourse will be profitable."

"The love of the Redeemer will draw hearts together in unity."

When we realize what these two short paragraphs are saying and put the principles of them into practice in our daily lives,

Let us ask Jesus at the beginning of every day to open our eyes to see the opportunities that pass our way to minister to those we come in contact with as we go about our activities of daily living. The Holy Spirit will then guide, inspire, and make us sensitive to the needs of others as we mingle with our families, the church and the world.Let us ask our God for His forgiveness for our lack of interest in the saving of others and become more involved for the saving of those around us.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2021, 08:55:56 AM »
Amen my dear friends. It is indeed more blessed to give than to receive. The blessings in this world are being able to help those in need. The right arm of the gospel is to use the light we have in the area of health reform to heal the sick. It will soften the heart that we may plant the Seed if truth.

The Saviour has given His precious life in order to establish a church capable of caring for sorrowful, tempted souls. A company of believers may be poor, uneducated, and unknown; yet in Christ they may do a work in the home, the neighborhood, the church, and even in "the regions beyond," whose results shall be as far-reaching as eternity.
     It is because this work is neglected that so many young disciples never advance beyond the mere alphabet of Christian experience. The light which was glowing in their own hearts when Jesus spoke to them, "Thy sins be forgiven thee," they might have kept alive by helping those in need. The restless energy that is so often a source of danger to the young might be directed into channels through which it would flow out in streams of blessing. Self would be forgotten in earnest work to do others good.

Many do not receive the great blessing of helping others, so they continue looking for the excitement in this world that does not last. We need to take them by the hand and let them experience the blessings that come from doing to others what we would want them to do for us if we were in their position.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Philip T

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2021, 04:31:11 AM »
    Those whom Christ commends in the judgment may have known little of theology, but they have cherished His principles. Through the influence of the divine Spirit they have been a blessing to those about them. Even among the heathen are those who have cherished the spirit of kindness; before the words of life had fallen upon their ears, they have befriended the missionaries, even ministering to them at the peril of their own lives. Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God.

This paragraph makes you stop and think realizing that we are in fact held accountable for what we know, and what we do with that information/knowledge. We are to shine forth to those around us the knowledge we have, the love God pours out on us, to those around us, that they may see God through us. This is an important message we are quick to often overlook. "As you have done it unto one of these, you have done it unto me.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2021, 07:29:06 AM »
Amen, Brother Philip! We may begin to experience the relational love of heaven right now by inviting Jesus into our hearts for Him to work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure!

"Love to man is the earthward manifestation of the love of God. It was to implant this love, to make us children of one family, that the King of glory became one with us. And when His parting words are fulfilled, 'Love one another, as I have loved you' (John 15:12); when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished. We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts." {The Desire of Ages, page 641, paragraph 3}

When we have Jesus, we have all heaven. Christ leads us into all truth in His word and guides us aright in the path to eternal life. All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest in our lives when we are truly converted and overcome as Christ also overcame. What a joy to abide in Jesus and do His will to bless others!

Dorine

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2021, 08:20:08 AM »

How sweet are these precious moments spent each morning in communion with our gracious Saviour.

"When we realize that we are workers together with God, His promises will not be spoken with indifference. They will burn in our hearts, and kindle upon our lips. To Moses, when called to minister to an ignorant, undisciplined, and rebellious people, God gave the promise, "My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." And He said, "Certainly I will be with thee." Exodus 33:14; 3:12. This promise is to all who labor in Christ's stead for His afflicted and suffering ones."

The golden rule is such a simple and basic biblical principle and when practiced from a heart of divine love reaps innumerable  rewards for eternity.

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2021, 08:57:35 AM »
"The followers of Jesus are not to feel themselves detached from the perishing world around them."

"They are a part of the great web of humanity; and Heaven looks upon them as brothers to sinners as well as to saints. The fallen, the erring, and the sinful, Christ's love embraces; and every deed of kindness done to uplift a fallen soul, every act of mercy, is accepted as done to Him."

In Matthew 25:39-40 It says, "When saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

"How surprised and gladdened will be the lowly among the nations, and among the heathen, to hear from the lips of the Saviour, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me"! How glad will be the heart of Infinite Love as His followers look up with surprise and joy at His words of approval. "

Today I invite you to be a part of the family of God that will hear the words of Jesus as recorded in .... Matthew 25:21 "His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.[/b]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2021, 09:02:48 PM »
What is the "flock" that was given to us?

To every soul a trust is given. Of everyone the Chief Shepherd will demand, "Where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock?" And "what wilt thou say when He shall punish thee?" Jeremiah 13:20, 21. 

Imagine if this applied to one of us? What is this flock?

Parents, if you lose your opportunity, God pity you; for in the day of judgment God will say, “What have you done with My flock, My beautiful flock?”... 
Suppose you should get to heaven and none of your children be there. How could you say to God, “Here am I, Lord, and the children which Thou hast given me”? Heaven marks the neglect of parents. It is recorded in the books of heaven. CG 561.

It is true that God will forgive our sins if we repent, but He cannot undo what we have done when it results in the lack of working for the salvation of others. We are either a savor of life unto life or death unto death. Today is the day of salvation that we might still be an influence, especially on our children.

Philip T

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2021, 04:51:18 AM »
  All may find something to do. "The poor always ye have with you," (John 12:8 ), Jesus said, and none need feel that there is no place where they can labor for Him. Millions upon millions of human souls ready to perish, bound in chains of ignorance and sin, have never so much as heard of Christ's love for them. Were our condition and theirs to be reversed, what would we desire them to do for us? All this, so far as lies in our power, we are under the most solemn obligation to do for them. Christ's rule of life, by which every one of us must stand or fall in the judgment, is, "Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." Matthew 7:12.
     The Saviour has given His precious life in order to establish a church capable of caring for sorrowful, tempted souls. A company of believers may be poor, uneducated, and unknown; yet in Christ they may do a work in the home, the neighborhood, the church, and even in "the regions beyond," whose results shall be as far-reaching as eternity.
     It is because this work is neglected that so many young disciples never advance beyond the mere alphabet of Christian experience. The light which was glowing in their own hearts when Jesus spoke to them, "Thy sins be forgiven thee," they might have kept alive by helping those in need. The restless energy that is so often a source of danger to the young might be directed into channels through which it would flow out in streams of blessing. Self would be forgotten in earnest work to do others good.

A powerful chapter in DA, All, every one of us who are Christ's have a work to do for His kingdom, God blesses us, are we willing not only to give to Him the required tithe, all we have is the Lords, do we use it to bless others in need as he blesses us. Only if we have surrendered all to Jesus, and humbly let Him finish the good work He was started in us will we be ready for His kingdom, good works should naturally flow from us to those around us in need. This kind of witness and silent testimony is the most powerful. Are we surrendered to God to the point He can work through us?

Beacon

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2021, 06:30:48 AM »
In the great Judgment day, those who have not worked for Christ, who have drifted along thinking of themselves, caring for themselves, will be placed by the Judge of the whole earth with those who did evil."

"They receive the same condemnation."

"To every soul a trust is given. Of everyone the Chief Shepherd will demand....

"Where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock?" And, "what wilt thou say when He shall punish thee?" Jeremiah 13:20, 21.

"They themselves will drink of the living water, and will be satisfied."

"They will not be longing for exciting amusements, or for some change in their lives."

"The great topic of interest will be, how to save the souls that are ready to perish. Social intercourse will be profitable.

Perhaps as we celebrate Christmas & New Years it would be a good time for us to take a spiritual inventory?

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
  There a precious fountain,
Free to all—a healing stream,
  Flows from Calv’ry’s mountain.
    In the cross, in the cross,
  Be my glory ever;
From the cross my ransomed soul
    Nothing then shall sever.
Near the cross, a trembling soul,
  Love and mercy found me;
There the Bright and Morning Star
  Sheds its beams around me.
Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
  Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
  With its shadow o’er me.
Near the cross I’ll watch and wait,
  Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I see my Savior’s face,
  Leave His presence never.

Lyrics:Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915)
Music:William Howard Doane (1832-1915)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2021, 07:55:19 AM »
  Only if we have surrendered all to Jesus, and humbly let Him finish the good work He was started in us will we be ready for His kingdom, good works should naturally flow from us to those around us in need. This kind of witness and silent testimony is the most powerful. Are we surrendered to God to the point He can work through us?

Amen Brother Philip! Good to see your post this morning!!

I too was impressed with this:

Those who minister to others will be ministered unto by the Chief Shepherd. They themselves will drink of the living water, and will be satisfied. They will not be longing for exciting amusements, or for some change in their lives. The great topic of interest will be, how to save the souls that are ready to perish. Social intercourse will be profitable. The love of the Redeemer will draw hearts together in unity.

Amen!  What a joy to help others.  The young and the old need to experience what it is like. They need a little help and encouragement.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
Amen, Brother Philip, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!

We get to be part of God's family by surrendering to Christ fully! The unity that comes when we are truly converted empowers us to live as Jesus lived when on this earth! All of the fruit of the Spirit without one missing will be the inevitable outflow of a heart united to Christ so we can live to bless others as He did!

"All who have been born into the heavenly family are in a special sense the brethren of our Lord. The love of Christ binds together the members of His family, and wherever that love is made manifest there the divine relationship is revealed. 'Everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.' 1 John 4:7." {The Desire of Ages, page 638, paragraph 1}

May we let Christ's love constrain us to go forth and bless others in whatever way His providence directs us, so that in turn we may experience more of the joy of Christlike character and see that joy reproduced in other lives, too!

Beacon

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2022, 08:21:11 PM »
"Those who minister to others will be ministered unto by the Chief Shepherd."

"They themselves will drink of the living water, and will be satisfied.

They will not be longing for exciting amusements, or for some change in their lives."

"The great topic of interest will be, how to save the souls that are ready to perish

"Social intercourse will be profitable."

May it be true in our lives that..."The great topic of interest will be, how to save the souls that are ready to perish. May the words of this song below express our prayer for the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

Lord, lay some soul upon my heart,
  And love that soul through me;
And may I bravely do my part
  To win that soul for Thee.
 Some soul for Thee, some soul for Thee,
  This is my earnest plea;
Help me each day, on life’s highway,
    To win some soul for Thee.
Lord, lead me to some soul in sin,
  And grant that I may be
Endued with power and love to win
  That soul, dear Lord, for Thee.
To win that soul for Thee, my Lord,
  Will be my constant prayer;
That when I’ve won Thy full reward
  I’ll with that dear one share.

Lyrics:Anon., v. 1; Mack Weaver & Baylus Benjamin McKinney, vv. 2 & 3
Music:Baylus Benjamin McKinney (1886-1952)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2022, 05:17:23 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  And even among those who have never heard the name of Jesus can be found those who minister to others. Self is being sacrificed for truth and the good of humanity. The Holy Spirit's still small voice is heard and followed.

Those whom Christ commends in the judgment may have known little of theology, but they have cherished His principles. Through the influence of the divine Spirit they have been a blessing to those about them. Even among the heathen are those who have cherished the spirit of kindness; before the words of life had fallen upon their ears, they have befriended the missionaries, even ministering to them at the peril of their own lives. Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God.
     How surprised and gladdened will be the lowly among the nations, and among the heathen, to hear from the lips of the Saviour, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me"! How glad will be the heart of Infinite Love as His followers look up with surprise and joy at His words of approval!

Dorine

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2022, 07:15:49 AM »
"As you open your door to Christ's needy and suffering ones, you are welcoming unseen angels. You invite the companionship of heavenly beings. They bring a sacred atmosphere of joy and peace. They come with praises upon their lips, and an answering strain is heard in heaven. Every deed of mercy makes music there. The Father from His throne numbers the unselfish workers among His most precious treasures."

May our lives be so complete in Jesus that ministering to others will be who we are because He resides in our hearts through the Holy Spirit. There will be no outward show looking for recognition and praise. Meek and humble service in relieving suffering souls brings joy to our hearts and makes the angels and heaven sing.