Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--71--A Servant of Servants  (Read 14871 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--71--A Servant of Servants
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2020, 04:04:09 PM »
"Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words."

May David's Prayer be Our Prayer as it says in Psalm 51:10-17

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. 12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. 13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. 14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness. 15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise. 16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2020, 09:46:15 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  It is heart work with Christ. He looks upon our hearts. There is a great deception regarding perfection of Christian character in our church and in other denominations. It is not understood that it is the heart that is purified, not the flesh. One group thinks we can be perfect and they make excuses for sin including not knowing there is pride in the heart, and therefore it is excusable. Not true. When Jesus takes possession of the heart He cleanses it perfectly. We may eat the wrong food, keep the wrong day, because we do not understand, but the motives will be pure and holy because the Holy Spirit lives in it. God wants the whole heart, not 99% of it. When we are truly in a converted state, the heart is clean completely. Others teach that we cannot be cleansed at all. We cannot be "sanctified" made holy. Not true. The heart can be sanctified, made holy, and the motives will be pure and perfect and we will keep the law to the degree we know it.

These words mean more than bodily cleanliness. Christ is still speaking of the higher cleansing as illustrated by the lower. He who came from the bath was clean, but the sandaled feet soon became dusty, and again needed to be washed. So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace. When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
"Until brought into a state of humility and love, they (the disciples ) were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute.Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about...

Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words."

"As the lesson of the preparatory service is thus learned, the desire is kindled for a higher spiritual life.

To this desire the divine Witness will respond. The soul will be uplifted. We can partake of the Communion with a consciousness of sins forgiven. The sunshine of Christ's righteousness will fill the chambers of the mind and the soul temple.

We 'behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.' John 1:29."

Let us "ALL PRAY" that we will have the correct attitude every day in the service of Jesus our Lord, the One who set such a great example for all of us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2020, 09:36:39 PM »
Amen dear Brother Beacon!! This is such and important chapter for all to read and understand. The doctrine of conversion (justification, sanctification) is revealed and what it is that brings it about. All of the disciples walked into the upper room full of self. They all except Judas had been converted, but were not in a converted state until Jesus manifested the grace that saves. Then all but Judas were converted (again). What does it mean to be converted? It means to allow the grace of God into the heart that He may cleanse it from all sin.

Christ knew that the time had come for Him to depart out of the world, and go to His Father. And having loved His own that were in the world, He loved them unto the end. He was now in the shadow of the cross, and the pain was torturing His heart. He knew that He would be deserted in the hour of His betrayal. He knew that by the most humiliating process to which criminals were subjected He would be put to death. He knew the ingratitude and cruelty of those He had come to save. He knew how great the sacrifice that He must make, and for how many it would be in vain. Knowing all that was before Him, He might naturally have been overwhelmed with the thought of His own humiliation and suffering. But He looked upon the twelve, who had been with Him as His own, and who, after His shame and sorrow and painful usage were over, would be left to struggle in the world. His thoughts of what He Himself must suffer were ever connected with His disciples. He did not think of Himself. His care for them was uppermost in His mind. 

Loving Savior cared more about those who would desert Him that He did for Himself. And all who know Him intimately will love not only those who love them, but will love those who despitefully use them. Praise God for His grace to sinners.

God bless you Dear Brother Beacon, you are in my prayers!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2020, 06:12:37 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard! I am praying for you both and for Sister Dorine!

What a joy it is to let Christ live out His life in us. Only as we behold Him and yield continually to Him will all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing be manifest in our lives. The new heart and new mind given us in conversion are really the outflow of the new will--the power of decision that we have allowed God to cleanse by His blood and sanctify by His divine Spirit so we may continually choose and DO the will of God even as Jesus did in His sphere of service, as we serve God in the unique sphere where He has placed us!

"In His life and lessons, Christ has given a perfect exemplification of the unselfish ministry which has its origin in God. God does not live for Himself. By creating the world, and by upholding all things, He is constantly ministering for others. "He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." Matthew 5:45. This ideal of ministry God has committed to His Son. Jesus was given to stand at the head of humanity, that by His example He might teach what it means to minister. His whole life was under a law of service. He served all, ministered to all. Thus He lived the law of God, and by His example showed how we are to obey it." {The Desire of Ages, page 649, paragraph 4}

Continual communion with God establishes so close a relation between Jesus and His disciple that we become like Him whom we adore. The world needs now a living revelation of the loveliness of Jesus, that all may see His grace is powerful enough to keep repentant sinners transformed into saints upheld from the pull of sin by living by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2020, 03:41:08 AM »
"These words mean more than bodily cleanliness. Christ is still speaking of the higher cleansing as illustrated by the lower. He who came from the bath was clean, but the sandaled feet soon became dusty, and again needed to be washed. So Peter and his brethren had been washed in the great fountain opened for sin and uncleanness. Christ acknowledged them as His. But temptation had led them into evil, and they still needed His cleansing grace. When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts. This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet. With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred, but all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet. A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words."

This thought stood out to me as I read this touching scene; that when we allow Jesus to take hold of the heart there is an instantaneous change that takes place. You don't have to wait for it or work for it to prove yourself for it is the instant miraculous work of God. Oh how I love Jesus and need Him every moment.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2020, 11:33:13 AM »
Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary.."

The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts.."

Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for pride and self-worship cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary.

Philip T

« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2020, 06:00:03 PM »
  Before the Passover Judas had met a second time with the priests and scribes, and had closed the contract to deliver Jesus into their hands. Yet he afterward mingled with the disciples as though innocent of any wrong, and interested in the work of preparing for the feast. The disciples knew nothing of the purpose of Judas. Jesus alone could read his secret. Yet He did not expose him. Jesus hungered for his soul. He felt for him such a burden as for Jerusalem when He wept over the doomed city. His heart was crying, How can I give thee up? The constraining power of that love was felt by Judas. When the Saviour's hands were bathing those soiled feet, and wiping them with the towel, the heart of Judas thrilled through and through with the impulse then and there to confess his sin. But he would not humble himself. He hardened his heart against repentance; and the old impulses, for the moment put aside, again controlled him. Judas was now offended at Christ's act in washing the feet of His disciples. If Jesus could so humble Himself, he thought, He could not be Israel's king. All hope of worldly honor in a temporal kingdom was destroyed. Judas was satisfied that there was nothing to be gained by following Christ. After seeing Him degrade Himself, as he thought, he was confirmed in his purpose to disown Him, and confess himself deceived. He was possessed by a demon, and he resolved to complete the work he had agreed to do in betraying his Lord.

As I read this paragraph I was impressed with the love of Jesus, even after Judas had finalized the betrayal of Jesus with the Priest, and now sitting at the side of Jesus and he knew what he had done He did not reveal it to the other Disciples. Jesus washed Judas feet first. He did everything in His ability to save Judas. Judas hardened his heart and chose his own fate.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2020, 06:31:37 PM »
Amen Brother Philip!  What a God we serve!! 

Good to have you back with us! We look forward to you sharing with us daily as God impresses you with such beautiful truths in this most wonderful revelation of our Savior and our heavenly Father. Tomorrow we will be reading in chapter 63 Thy King Cometh.  Please join us if you can. It would be a blessing to see our little group grow in wanting to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Christ, and then sharing what each of us is being taught by the Holy Spirit.

Have a blessed Sabbath Day my dear friend!

Dorine

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2021, 06:40:03 AM »
....."Whenever this ordinance is rightly celebrated, the children of God are brought into a holy relationship, to help and bless each other. They covenant that the life shall be given to unselfish ministry. And this, not only for one another. Their field of labor is as wide as their Master's was. The world is full of those who need our ministry. The poor, the helpless, the ignorant, are on every hand. Those who have communed with Christ in the upper chamber will go forth to minister as He did."  

If there is anything in our characters that does not reflect Christ may the experience of the disciples in that upper room open our hearts to God's transforming power. What spoke to me most was the 'instant' change that took place in the hearts of the disciples (except for Judas). No one needs to wait for weeks, months or years for the converting power of God to take hold of our hearts and change our motives. With our motives purified our thoughts will not center on self but the welfare of others.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2021, 07:24:18 AM »
Selflessness is bliss. Implicit surrender to God will is the true path of eternal life. We are moved by beholding the loveliness of Jesus and in perfect acquiescence to Him there is perfect rest in our soul. Let us abide in Him and overcome by His divine grace! Complete union and communion with Christ means that we experience all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing!

"Again and again Jesus had tried to establish this principle among His disciples. When James and John made their request for pre-eminence, He had said, "Whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister." Matthew 20:26. In My kingdom the principle of preference and supremacy has no place. The only greatness is the greatness of humility. The only distinction is found in devotion to the service of others." {The Desire of Ages, page 650, paragraph 1}

Let us go forth to bless by letting Christ the source of all blessings abide in us on a moment-by-moment basis!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2021, 07:45:28 AM »
"When Jesus girded Himself with a towel to wash the dust from their feet, He desired by that very act to wash the alienation, jealousy, and pride from their hearts..

This was of far more consequence than the washing of their dusty feet..

..With the spirit they then had, not one of them was prepared for communion with Christ. Until brought into a state of humility and love, they were not prepared to partake of the paschal supper, or to share in the memorial service which Christ was about to institute.. Their hearts must be cleansed. Pride and self-seeking create dissension and hatred,..

But all this Jesus washed away in washing their feet.

A change of feeling was brought about. Looking upon them, Jesus could say, "Ye are clean." Now there was union of heart, love for one another. They had become humble and teachable. Except Judas, each was ready to concede to another the highest place. Now with subdued and grateful hearts they could receive Christ's words."

As we begin this new year we also need to be brought in a state of "Humility & Love". Each of us have the opportunity to be "Washed Clean" if-- we are willing to be humble and participate in the Communion Service as Christ taught. If we are restricted from attending this service at church due to C-19 or any other factors why not participate as a family unit at home. Where the presence of Jesus is welcomed, He is Present.

May God Bless each one of you as we begin this New Year. Keep Looking Up - Listening for the Shout- Jesus is Coming Soon.

Philip T

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2021, 07:58:13 AM »
Christ knew that the time had come for Him to depart out of the world, and go to His Father. And having loved His own that were in the world, He loved them unto the end. He was now in the shadow of the cross, and the pain was torturing His heart. He knew that He would be deserted in the hour of His betrayal. He knew that by the most humiliating process to which criminals were subjected He would be put to death. He knew the ingratitude and cruelty of those He had come to save. He knew how great the sacrifice that He must make, and for how many it would be in vain. Knowing all that was before Him, He might naturally have been overwhelmed with the thought of His own humiliation and suffering. But He looked upon the twelve, who had been with Him as His own, and who, after His shame and sorrow and painful usage were over, would be left to struggle in the world. His thoughts of what He Himself must suffer were ever connected with His disciples. He did not think of Himself. His care for them was uppermost in His mind.

As I read on thought about tis paragraph I was struck by the fact of how humble Jesus was, he was facing trial and crucifixion on the cross, the refusal of so many to submit humbly and surrender to Christ, accepting his free gift of grace, and the state of disciples and their needs were foremost in His thoughts. As he is our example we should be just as humble and concerned about the needs of those in the church and those around us. It points out the importance of rededicating ourselves to God daily and surrendering all to him daily. What love God has for us.

Beacon

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2021, 08:02:29 PM »
"The disciples knew nothing of the purpose of Judas. Jesus alone could read his secret. Yet He did not expose him. Jesus hungered for his soul. He felt for him such a burden as for Jerusalem when He wept over the doomed city. His heart was crying, How can I give thee up?"

"The constraining power of that love was felt by Judas."

"When the Saviour's hands were bathing those soiled feet, and wiping them with the towel, the heart of Judas thrilled through and through with the impulse then and there to confess his sin.

"But he would not humble himself."

He hardened his heart against repentance; and the old impulses, for the moment put aside, again controlled him. Judas was now offended at Christ's act in washing the feet of His disciples. If Jesus could so humble Himself, he thought, He could not be Israel's king."

"All hope of worldly honor in a temporal kingdom was destroyed. Judas was satisfied that there was nothing to be gained by following Christ."

"After seeing Him degrade Himself, as he thought, he was confirmed in his purpose to disown Him, and confess himself deceived. He was possessed by a demon, and he resolved to complete the work he had agreed to do in betraying his Lord."

When "WE"  hear the voice of Jesus say to us in " Isaiah 30:21 "And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it," What will our response be??

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2021, 04:15:05 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! I choose to follow Jesus' word and let Him lead me!

May we look continually to Jesus and allow His character to be reproduced in us by a full surrender of our will to Him! Then He produces in us by His supernatural grace a life of unselfish service that is filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in happy obedience to all of God's Ten Commandments because they are the definition of liberty from selfishness!

"Jesus, the served of all, came to be the servant of all. And because He ministered to all, He will again be served and honored by all. And those who would partake of His divine attributes, and share with Him the joy of seeing souls redeemed, must follow His example of unselfish ministry." {The Desire of Ages, page 651, paragraph 3}

As we walk with Jesus in this life, we may be filled with the joy of His presence and the joy of seeing souls saved by God using us as His instruments! May your life today be in the center of God's will for whatever He knows is best as you let Him lead you moment-by-moment!

Dorine

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2021, 05:02:33 AM »
"As the lesson of the preparatory service is thus learned, the desire is kindled for a higher spiritual life. To this desire the divine Witness will respond. The soul will be uplifted. We can partake of the Communion with a consciousness of sins forgiven. The sunshine of Christ's righteousness will fill the chambers of the mind and the soul temple. We "behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29.

Without this part of the service we would not be ready to partake of the communion service. This is such a blessed time to humbly seek the Lord, pray with and for our partner and to make any wrongs right. Then the heart is free and joyful and we can come before the church and God knowing that all has been forgiven and our hearts are united in Jesus and with each other. I love this chapter for I see Jesus in a light that keeps me humble. And that is where I am happiest.

Philip T

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2021, 05:32:40 AM »
The holy Watcher from heaven is present at this season to make it one of soul searching, of conviction of sin, and of the blessed assurance of sins forgiven. Christ in the fullness of His grace is there to change the current of the thoughts that have been running in selfish channels. The Holy Spirit quickens the sensibilities of those who follow the example of their Lord. As the Saviour's humiliation for us is remembered, thought links with thought; a chain of memories is called up, memories of God's great goodness and of the favor and tenderness of earthly friends. Blessings forgotten, mercies abused, kindnesses slighted, are called to mind. Roots of bitterness that have crowded out the precious plant of love are made manifest. Defects of character, neglect of duties, ingratitude to God, coldness toward our brethren, are called to remembrance. Sin is seen in the light in which God views it. Our thoughts are not thoughts of self-complacency, but of severe self-censure and humiliation. The mind is energized to break down every barrier that has caused alienation. Evil thinking and evilspeaking are put away. Sins are confessed, they are forgiven. The subduing grace of Christ comes into the soul, and the love of Christ draws hearts together in a blessed unity.

Amen Sister Dorine, Brother Bacon, and Pastor Sean.

I was humbled as I read the purpose of the pre ceremony, I did not understand this part of communion. It is a time of humbling myself, but it is a time to cleanse myself, by surrendering all of self to Jesus, confessing my sins, allowing Christ to wash me and make me pure, that I am fit to stand before a Holy God and partake of the ordinance of communion. May we all humble ourselves daily before our creator.  Jesus gave us a living parable to teach us this lesson, let us not let it go to waste.   

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2021, 10:09:13 PM »
Amen dear brother Philip. When we partake of the Lord's Supper, we are to be full of joy. The foot washing gives us opportunity to make sure that we have been cleansed from sin.

There was "a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest." This contention, carried on in the presence of Christ, grieved and wounded Him. The disciples clung to their favorite idea that Christ would assert His power, and take His position on the throne of David. And in heart each still longed for the highest place in the kingdom. They had placed their own estimate upon themselves and upon one another, and, instead of regarding their brethren as more worthy, they had placed themselves first. The request of James and John to sit on the right and left of Christ's throne had excited the indignation of the others. That the two brothers should presume to ask for the highest position so stirred the ten that alienation threatened. They felt that they were misjudged, that their fidelity and talents were not appreciated. Judas was the most severe upon James and John.
     When the disciples entered the supper room, their hearts were full of resentful feelings. Judas pressed next to Christ on the left side; John was on the right. If there was a highest place, Judas was determined to have it, and that place was thought to be next to Christ. And Judas was a traitor.