Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--70-- "The Least of These My Brethren"  (Read 20307 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
The Desire of Ages--70-- "The Least of These My Brethren"
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:43:18 AM »
"The Least of These My Brethren"

Listen to     "The Least of These My Brethren"

"When the Son of man shall come in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then shall He sit upon the throne of His glory: and before Him shall be gathered all nations: and He shall separate them one from another." Thus Christ on the Mount of Olives pictured to His disciples the scene of the great judgment day. And He represented its decision as turning upon one point. When the nations are gathered before Him, there will be but two classes, and their eternal destiny will be determined by what they have done or have neglected to do for Him in the person of the poor and the suffering.   
     In that day Christ does not present before men the great work He has done for them in giving His life for their redemption. He presents the faithful work they have done for Him. To those whom He sets upon His right hand He will say, "Come, ye blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was an hungered, and ye gave Me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave Me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took Me in: naked, and ye clothed Me: I was sick, and ye visited Me: I was in prison, and ye came unto Me." But those whom Christ commends know not that they have been ministering unto Him. To their perplexed inquiries He answers, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me." 
     Jesus had told His disciples that they were to be hated of all men, to be persecuted and afflicted. Many would be driven from their homes, and brought to poverty. Many would be in distress through disease and privation. Many would be cast into prison. To all who forsook friends or home for His sake He had promised in this life a hundredfold. Now He assured a special blessing to all who should minister to their brethren. In all who suffer for My name, said Jesus, you are to recognize Me. As you would minister to Me, so you are to minister to them. This is the evidence that you are My disciples.
     All who have been born into the heavenly family are in a special sense the brethren of our Lord. The love of Christ binds together the members of His family, and wherever that love is made manifest there the divine relationship is revealed. "Everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God." 1 John 4:7.
     Those whom Christ commends in the judgment may have known little of theology, but they have cherished His principles. Through the influence of the divine Spirit they have been a blessing to those about them. Even among the heathen are those who have cherished the spirit of kindness; before the words of life had fallen upon their ears, they have befriended the missionaries, even ministering to them at the peril of their own lives. Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God. 
     How surprised and gladdened will be the lowly among the nations, and among the heathen, to hear from the lips of the Saviour, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me"! How glad will be the heart of Infinite Love as His followers look up with surprise and joy at His words of approval!
     But not to any class is Christ's love restricted. He identifies Himself with every child of humanity. That we might become members of the heavenly family, He became a member of the earthly family. He is the Son of man, and thus a brother to every son and daughter of Adam. His followers are not to feel themselves detached from the perishing world around them. They are a part of the great web of humanity; and Heaven looks upon them as brothers to sinners as well as to saints. The fallen, the erring, and the sinful, Christ's love embraces; and every deed of kindness done to uplift a fallen soul, every act of mercy, is accepted as done to Him. 
     The angels of heaven are sent forth to minister to those who shall be heirs of salvation. We know not now who they are; it is not yet made manifest who shall overcome, and share the inheritance of the saints in light; but angels of heaven are passing throughout the length and breadth of the earth, seeking to comfort the sorrowing, to protect the imperiled, to win the hearts of men to Christ. Not one is neglected or passed by. God is no respecter of persons, and He has an equal care for all the souls He has created.
     As you open your door to Christ's needy and suffering ones, you are welcoming unseen angels. You invite the companionship of heavenly beings. They bring a sacred atmosphere of joy and peace. They come with praises upon their lips, and an answering strain is heard in heaven. Every deed of mercy makes music there. The Father from His throne numbers the unselfish workers among His most precious treasures. 
     Those on the left hand of Christ, those who had neglected Him in the person of the poor and the suffering, were unconscious of their guilt. Satan had blinded them; they had not perceived what they owed to their brethren. They had been self-absorbed, and cared not for others' needs.
     To the rich, God has given wealth that they may relieve and comfort His suffering children; but too often they are indifferent to the wants of others. They feel themselves superior to their poor brethren. They do not put themselves in the poor man's place. They do not understand the temptations and struggles of the poor, and mercy dies out of their hearts. In costly dwellings and splendid churches, the rich shut themselves away from the poor; the means that God has given to bless the needy is spent in pampering pride and selfishness. The poor are robbed daily of the education they should have concerning the tender mercies of God; for He has made ample provision that they should be comforted with the necessities of life. They are compelled to feel the poverty that narrows life, and are often tempted to become envious, jealous, and full of evil surmisings. Those who themselves have not endured the pressure of want too often treat the poor in a contemptuous way, and make them feel that they are looked upon as paupers.
     But Christ beholds it all, and He says, It was I who was hungry and thirsty. It was I who was a stranger. It was I who was sick. It was I who was in prison. While you were feasting at your bountifully spread table, I was famishing in the hovel or the empty street. While you were at ease in your luxurious home, I had not where to lay My head. While you crowded your wardrobe with rich apparel, I was destitute. While you pursued your pleasures, I languished in prison. 
     When you doled out the pittance of bread to the starving poor, when you gave those flimsy garments to shield them from the biting frost, did you remember that you were giving to the Lord of glory? All the days of your life I was near you in the person of these afflicted ones, but you did not seek Me. You would not enter into fellowship with Me. I know you not. 
     Many feel that it would be a great privilege to visit the scenes of Christ's life on earth, to walk where He trod, to look upon the lake beside which He loved to teach, and the hills and valleys on which His eyes so often rested. But we need not go to Nazareth, to Capernaum, or to Bethany, in order to walk in the steps of Jesus. We shall find His footprints beside the sickbed, in the hovels of poverty, in the crowded alleys of the great city, and in every place where there are human hearts in need of consolation. In doing as Jesus did when on earth, we shall walk in His steps.
     All may find something to do. "The poor always ye have with you," (John 12:8 ), Jesus said, and none need feel that there is no place where they can labor for Him. Millions upon millions of human souls ready to perish, bound in chains of ignorance and sin, have never so much as heard of Christ's love for them. Were our condition and theirs to be reversed, what would we desire them to do for us? All this, so far as lies in our power, we are under the most solemn obligation to do for them. Christ's rule of life, by which every one of us must stand or fall in the judgment, is, "Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." Matthew 7:12.
     The Saviour has given His precious life in order to establish a church capable of caring for sorrowful, tempted souls. A company of believers may be poor, uneducated, and unknown; yet in Christ they may do a work in the home, the neighborhood, the church, and even in "the regions beyond," whose results shall be as far-reaching as eternity. 
     It is because this work is neglected that so many young disciples never advance beyond the mere alphabet of Christian experience. The light which was glowing in their own hearts when Jesus spoke to them, "Thy sins be forgiven thee," they might have kept alive by helping those in need. The restless energy that is so often a source of danger to the young might be directed into channels through which it would flow out in streams of blessing. Self would be forgotten in earnest work to do others good.
     Those who minister to others will be ministered unto by the Chief Shepherd. They themselves will drink of the living water, and will be satisfied. They will not be longing for exciting amusements, or for some change in their lives. The great topic of interest will be, how to save the souls that are ready to perish. Social intercourse will be profitable. The love of the Redeemer will draw hearts together in unity.
     When we realize that we are workers together with God, His promises will not be spoken with indifference. They will burn in our hearts, and kindle upon our lips. To Moses, when called to minister to an ignorant, undisciplined, and rebellious people, God gave the promise, "My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." And He said, "Certainly I will be with thee." Exodus 33:14; 3:12. This promise is to all who labor in Christ's stead for His afflicted and suffering ones. 
     Love to man is the earthward manifestation of the love of God. It was to implant this love, to make us children of one family, that the King of glory became one with us. And when His parting words are fulfilled, "Love one another, as I have loved you" (John 15:12); when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished. We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts.
     But "if thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain; if thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not He that pondereth the heart consider it? and He that keepeth thy soul, doth not He know it? and shall not He render to every man according to his works?" Proverbs 24:11, 12. In the great Judgment day, those who have not worked for Christ, who have drifted along thinking of themselves, caring for themselves, will be placed by the Judge of the whole earth with those who did evil. They receive the same condemnation.
     To every soul a trust is given. Of everyone the Chief Shepherd will demand, "Where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock?" And "what wilt thou say when He shall punish thee?" Jeremiah 13:20, 21. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: The Desire of Ages--70-- "The Least of These My Brethren"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:05:14 AM »
    Those who minister to others will be ministered unto by the Chief Shepherd. They themselves will drink of the living water, and will be satisfied. They will not be longing for exciting amusements, or for some change in their lives. The great topic of interest will be, how to save the souls that are ready to perish. Social intercourse will be profitable. The love of the Redeemer will draw hearts together in unity.

It appears to me that if the salvation of souls was really the goal of every person in the church it would be much easier to come into unity in other areas also.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 06:28:22 AM »
Amen, Jim! I truly believe that unity in our lives as believers is made stronger as we are united in soul-winning. But just being engaged in soul-winning does not necessarily mean that the church will not have to work through issues or struggles that could create difference--the underlying issue is conversion. When the members of the church are truly converted, then there is a willingness to submit to counsel from the word of God, and trials and difficulties can be resolved much more easily. And it is also true that a lack of conversion has a lot to do with why so few are engaged in winning souls. If a person knows not the precious loveliness of Jesus, they will not desire to impart His love to others. We need a revival and reformation--and it all starts in looking to Jesus and allowing Him to make us new!

I appreciated the promise in the paragraph following the one you quoted, Jim:

When we realize that we are workers together with God, His promises will not be spoken with indifference. They will burn in our hearts, and kindle upon our lips. To Moses, when called to minister to an ignorant, undisciplined, and rebellious people, God gave the promise, "My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." And He said, "Certainly I will be with thee." Exodus 33:14; 3:12. This promise is to all who labor in Christ's stead for His afflicted and suffering ones. 

As Moses was called to go to minister among people who little appreciated his labors and who were dull of comprehending spiritual things, I see an encouragement in this for us today! As long as God's presence goes with us, and we trust the results with God, we need never be discouraged! We need to know the blessing of laboring for others, and let Christ uphold us with His strength. We will not speak His promises with indifference, because we will realize how desperately we need Jesus and the promises He has spoken! Praise the Lord!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 05:29:57 AM »

It appears to me that if the salvation of souls was really the goal of every person in the church it would be much easier to come into unity in other areas also.

Amen, Jim. In order for that to be the case, to love others as ourselves, we must be converted. Otherwise it is just a game, a game of playing church. If we are truly concerned for the salvation of others, then we will love the brethren also. And, if we love the brethren, then being in unity of Spirit, we will strive to be in unity of doctrine. "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Philippians 2:3. Loving God supremely is the underlying power of this all.

We need to know the blessing of laboring for others, and let Christ uphold us with His strength.

This is very sad, that many have not known the great joy that comes from leading another to Christ. What can be greater? Only seeing Jesus ourselves!   Then again, I am not sure that leading another to Christ is not greater. It is more blessed to given than to receive. Both bring joy unspeakable!

I have always appreciated this truth:

Those whom Christ commends in the judgment may have known little of theology, but they have cherished His principles. Through the influence of the divine Spirit they have been a blessing to those about them. Even among the heathen are those who have cherished the spirit of kindness; before the words of life had fallen upon their ears, they have befriended the missionaries, even ministering to them at the peril of their own lives. Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God.

It is so very sad that many in the church do not recognize that "still small voice" speaking to them. But, some ignorant of Scripture do, and yield to Him. Their good works reveal their hearts have been cleansed and self is dead. They are His children. This also would include some Catholics, Muslims, Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, and Southern Baptists who have been taught unrepentant sinners will burn for eternity.We understand that among all religions, despite the error being taught, God can reach individuals through His Spirit. Many do not believe this. They think because of the doctrinal error, it is impossible for these to be saved. But, not so. The Holy Spirit can and does reach many who have not such a high profession of faith, but a real living connection with God through the Spirit.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:09:59 PM »
Amen, Richard!!! I was moved by the SAME paragraph, so I won't re-post it--but I liked your reflection on what is most blessed, and I see your thoughts as actually one and the same experience--you and I have no blessing to give unless we continually are in SWEET, BLESSED UNION AND COMMUNION with Jesus by His Spirit! We cannot enjoy communion with Christ and not also be truly desirous of saving souls! And we cannot bring a single soul to Christ without Him abiding in our hearts! And when we realize His love for all as we spend this "thoughtful hour" with Jesus, we will see others as this chapter speaks of them--each soul we are to treat as though he or she were Christ Himself!!!! Hallelujah! And we can only experience this when we are continually in a converted state. We need Jesus constantly!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 04:25:58 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean! When we do not have Jesus in the heart, we have no power to resist temptations.

How can we know if we have Jesus? Is there evidence of having given the whole heart to Christ?

Jesus had told His disciples that they were to be hated of all men, to be persecuted and afflicted. Many would be driven from their homes, and brought to poverty. Many would be in distress through disease and privation. Many would be cast into prison. To all who forsook friends or home for His sake He had promised in this life a hundredfold. Now He assured a special blessing to all who should minister to their brethren. In all who suffer for My name, said Jesus, you are to recognize Me. As you would minister to Me, so you are to minister to them. This is the evidence that you are My disciples.

Why is it that so many young one in the church walk away from her?

The Saviour has given His precious life in order to establish a church capable of caring for sorrowful, tempted souls. A company of believers may be poor, uneducated, and unknown; yet in Christ they may do a work in the home, the neighborhood, the church, and even in "the regions beyond," whose results shall be as far-reaching as eternity.
     It is because this work is neglected that so many young disciples never advance beyond the mere alphabet of Christian experience. The light which was glowing in their own hearts when Jesus spoke to them, "Thy sins be forgiven thee," they might have kept alive by helping those in need. The restless energy that is so often a source of danger to the young might be directed into channels through which it would flow out in streams of blessing. Self would be forgotten in earnest work to do others good.

That "flock" which Christ speaks of, is first the little children. God is not pleased when they are lost. The parents first responsibility in life is to their children.

"Where is the flock that was given thee, thy beautiful flock?" And "what wilt thou say when He shall punish thee?" Jeremiah 13:20, 21. 

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 07:08:46 AM »
Amen, Richard! There is truly needed a work in each family, that as the parents would behold the loveliness of Jesus and be thoroughly converted, they would labor for their children and train them in Christ's lines.

There is a work for each of us to do--but we cannot do it unless we are converted, and connected to Christ.

All may find something to do. "The poor always ye have with you," (John 12:8 ), Jesus said, and none need feel that there is no place where they can labor for Him. Millions upon millions of human souls ready to perish, bound in chains of ignorance and sin, have never so much as heard of Christ's love for them. Were our condition and theirs to be reversed, what would we desire them to do for us? All this, so far as lies in our power, we are under the most solemn obligation to do for them. Christ's rule of life, by which every one of us must stand or fall in the judgment, is, "Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." Matthew 7:12.

How can we know if we have Jesus? Is there evidence of having given the whole heart to Christ?

Excellent question. It goes back to the foundation of our faith. The whole heart given to Jesus will be selfless and have pure motives. The fruits of the Spirit will all be present without one missing. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law" (Galatians 5:22-23). The heart renewed by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit reveals what it means to be a partaker of "the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4). Such a connection is to be continually maintained by a vital faith that is strengthened through beholding the character of God in Christ, and hence why it would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ, especially the closing scenes. What a joy that this is what we get to do here in our Desire of Ages forum!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 05:39:15 AM »

I know this is the same paragraph I mentioned as last time but something has stood out to me a little different this time. Years ago I heard an evangelist say that by working for the salvation of others you save yourself. I suppose this might invite wrong motives but for the person who truly loves Christ there is some truth to this. Even though you give of yourself for others you'll never be dissatisfied and restless. Christ Himself will feed you and give you drink that will bring peace and sanctification that the world doesn't understand.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »
Amen, Amen! Jim, I heartily agree, and the idea that as we impart to others the Lord imparts to us is SO TRUE! I just experienced this today, as I was asked to share my testimony with someone about how God healed me from bipolar depression and how He has given me an experience of healing and wellness by having new thoughts and purposes through Him! I shared with this friend a statement that has SO HELPED ME:

"Nothing tends more to promote health of body and of soul than does a spirit of gratitude and praise. It is a positive duty to resist melancholy, discontented thoughts and feelings—as much a duty as it is to pray." {Ministry of Healing, page 251, paragraph 3}. It was as I shared again how God healed me that I was blessed again, and I find in Christ the strength I need to continue to impart to others of Christ's fullness and grace. What we have experienced is not for ourselves, but is to be a blessing to others!

I may never fully realize this side of heaven how important it was to share my testimony with someone, or to offer to pray with someone at a certain time, or to offer to help someone--but God sees the whole picture, and as we trust in Christ, we are really experiencing the greatest joy--the joy of seeing souls redeemed!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 08:57:28 AM »
Amen and amen!! It is more blessed to give than to receive (Acts 20:35)!  What was the joy that was set before Christ when He endured the cross, despising the shame? It was the joy of seeing multitudes saved. So it will be for us as we labor for the lost.

Love to man is the earthward manifestation of the love of God. It was to implant this love, to make us children of one family, that the King of glory became one with us. And when His parting words are fulfilled, "Love one another, as I have loved you" (John 15:12); when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished. We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts.

I especially like this truth. It is something that many other denominations do not understand.

One may be in a church that teaches horrible error, or not in a church at all. We cannot judge based on this. It is the heart that God looks upon. He wants the heart, the whole heart. This is what will be judged in the final judgment as to where the professor of God will end up.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 03:52:46 AM »
This chapter is about true love--love that is expressed in the life, and reveals the character of God in Christ. It is our privilege to have this experience by abiding in Christ through a full-heart surrender!

"Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren" (1 John 3:16)

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

His love will flow through us as we continue to behold Christ and abide in His love. May we go forth this Sabbath to bless those who so need to hear of the loveliness of Jesus, who has so blessed our hearts in this "thoughtful hour" with Him!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »
I went through this chapter twice this morning. It is a burden to contemplate those who are destitute and without a home. So many are homeless, even in America. Maybe there are more homeless in America. She has rejected God's love and is soon to reap her selfishness. Even now, her cities which are hotbeds of hell, suffer because of the anti God attitude of so many in power. She was the world's last great hope.

What can we do as a church and as individuals? It is hard when we know that many are using drugs and are not safe to bring into a home, especially where there are children. So many have so much, yet so little is given to the needy poor. And, "social justice" has been given opportunity to lead many astray. The world is destined for judgment, yet in this reading this morning the eye of God is seen to be directed at the individual church member, you and me. What do we do for the needy poor? It is not good enough for the church to provide, we need to be more concerned and take a greater interest in helping the needy.

And if we have little of the things of this world to give, think if Jesus and what He gave. God has entrusted us with the truth of His love and the plan of salvation. He has given us the key to good health, and ways to minister to the sick.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 04:19:28 AM »
May we look to Jesus and His manner of labor, and let self be forgotten in earnest work to do others good today! Pray for a divine appointment to bless someone in need today in the way God would have you to see others as Jesus sees them--as dear brothers and sisters who need tender pity and love!

"It is because this work is neglected that so many young disciples never advance beyond the mere alphabet of Christian experience. The light which was glowing in their own hearts when Jesus spoke to them, 'Thy sins be forgiven thee,' they might have kept alive by helping those in need. The restless energy that is so often a source of danger to the young might be directed into channels through which it would flow out in streams of blessing. Self would be forgotten in earnest work to do others good." {The Desire of Ages, page 640, paragraph 5}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »
Amen! It is a well kept secret that it is more blessed to give than to receive. Therefore, many never experience the joy of helping others. It is especially true when sharing the grace of Christ both in deed and in Word.

And, if we do not experience this love for others, we will not be fit for heaven, for we have not been transformed in character, from sinner to saint.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 04:59:08 AM »
  When we realize that we are workers together with God, His promises will not be spoken with indifference. They will burn in our hearts, and kindle upon our lips. To Moses, when called to minister to an ignorant,hiaid, "Certainly I will be with thee." Exodus 33:14; 3:12. This promise is to all who labor in Christ's stead for His afflicted and suffering ones. 

Today, many in the church are suffering. Things are not right. Those who love Jesus supremely are not looked upon with gladness. The truth which they speak is often not welcome by many, even in leadership positions. Some are tempted to throw in the towel. But, Jesus has promised to be with His faithful children. He will sustain us, and His promises will burn in our hearts!

All trials that come to us, He allows to come for our good and His glory as we abide in Him and He in us. It is the most weighty trust and the highest honor that Christ can bestow upon us that we be partakers in His suffering.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 08:48:50 AM »
Amen, Richard! We rejoice to be able to have a character like Christ's as we allow His love to work in us continually! We get a foretaste of heaven because our characters are being changed by communion with God and fellowship with Jesus day by day!

"Love to man is the earthward manifestation of the love of God. It was to implant this love, to make us children of one family, that the King of glory became one with us. And when His parting words are fulfilled, 'Love one another, as I have loved you' (John 15:12); when we love the world as He has loved it, then for us His mission is accomplished. We are fitted for heaven; for we have heaven in our hearts." {The Desire of Ages, page 641, paragraph 3}

Let us live in the very atmosphere of heaven by faith as we seek to walk in His holy will and minister to others in need!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 05:08:17 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. God leaves us in the world that it may know there is a God in heaven that loves the least in the world. It is not easy, but when we understand that God is at our right hand to help us, how shall we feel?

What more can we ask for!!

Dorine

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 07:14:25 AM »
"When the Son of man shall come in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then shall He sit upon the throne of His glory: and before Him shall be gathered all nations: and He shall separate them one from another." Thus Christ on the Mount of Olives pictured to His disciples the scene of the great judgment day. And He represented its decision as turning upon one point. When the nations are gathered before Him, there will be but two classes, and their eternal destiny will be determined by what they have done or have neglected to do for Him in the person of the poor and the suffering."   

What a challenge is set before us in this chapter. Yet when Christ reigns in the heart it will not seem to be a challenge because loving others as Jesus loves us will just be a part of who we are. That is why the group on the right are surprised and ask Jesus when it was that they did all those things to Him.

I love the hymn "Hark! the Voice of Jesus calling.  He is calling for workers in His field.

We may not be able to go across the ocean to help but we can help those at our door.

If I can not be the watchman on the walls of Zion; I can with my prayers and offerings support the work and be like Aaron holding up the prophets hands.

The last verse says....

While the souls of men are dying, And the Master calls for you,
Let none hear you idly saying, "There is nothing I can do!"
Gladly take the task He gives you, Let His work your pleasure be;
Answer quickly when He calleth, "Here am I, O Lord, send me."

"Christ's rule of life, by which every one of us must stand or fall in the judgment, is, "Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." Matt. 7:12
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »
Amen, Richard and Dorine!

We can do what Jesus gives us to do each day--when Christ reigns in our hearts, we will gladly find those around us that we can minister unto, and know the love of Christ by an ever-deepening experience!

As I was reflecting on this beautiful promise, I was reminded of how the law of life is the law of giving. To give is to live, and as we impart the comfort that Christ has brought to us, we are watered by Him afresh each moment!

Proverbs 11:25 "The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself."

"Those who minister to others will be ministered unto by the Chief Shepherd. They themselves will drink of the living water, and will be satisfied. They will not be longing for exciting amusements, or for some change in their lives. The great topic of interest will be, how to save the souls that are ready to perish. Social intercourse will be profitable. The love of the Redeemer will draw hearts together in unity." {The Desire of Ages, page 641, paragraph 1}

Thank the Lord for the opportunity to share Christ's love in whatever ways He opens up for us! When we live by faith on the Son of God, we have Christ in our hearts whose presence is made known by all of the fruits of the Spirit being revealed--without one missing! Love will be seen in gladly ministering to those around us!

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 05:50:01 AM »
All may find something to do. "The poor always ye have with you," (John 12:8 ), Jesus said, and none need feel that there is no place where they can labor for Him. Millions upon millions of human souls ready to perish, bound in chains of ignorance and sin, have never so much as heard of Christ's love for them. Were our condition and theirs to be reversed, what would we desire them to do for us?

There is a work for everyone even if your influence reaches no further than your own family. This brings to mind the elderly and shutin members of our own local churches that need our encouragement. As I was growing up in the church the responsibility of visiting these people seem to always fall on the young people. Especially the pathfinders. I do not begrudge this experience as it was good for me and my own family spent many hours on Sabbath afternoons visiting members stuck in the local VA hospital and their homes. But not long ago a thought came to my mind. It's the elderly who can understand much better what the needs of other elderly and meet them. Many of them never get involved at church but surely they can visit, help, encourage their "own" (for lack of a better phrase). While it's good a thing for the young to develop relationships with someone on the border of their grave (as Mrs. White phrases it) as it's good for both parties. It's other elderly who can relate to their experiences and understand better what is going on.

I realize that my comments today probably aren't what we normally express here but today's reading gave me a chance to put into words what I've been thinking about for the past few months.