Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--66--Controversy  (Read 35358 times)

Beacon

Re: The Desire of Ages--66--Controversy
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2020, 06:30:45 AM »
"When God has His rightful place on the throne of the heart, the right place will be given to our neighbor. We shall love him as ourselves...

And only as we love God supremely is it possible to love our neighbor impartially... 

And since all the commandments are summed up in love to God and man, it follows that not one precept can be broken without violating this principle. Thus Christ taught His hearers that the law of God is not so many separate precepts, some of which are of great importance, while others are of small importance and may with impunity be ignored...

Our Lord presents the first four and the last six commandments as a divine whole, and teaches that love to God will be shown by obedience to all His commandments."  

As we celebrate today by keeping Holy the 7th day, Saturday, may we all remember that by the keeping and practicing of God's Ten Commandments we are not "legalists" but only showing our love to Jesus who said..."IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS" John 14:15 - Exodus 20:8-11
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2020, 06:36:03 AM »
The Sadducees had flattered themselves that they of all men adhered most strictly to the Scriptures. But Jesus showed that they had not known their true meaning. That knowledge must be brought home to the heart by the enlightenment of the "Holy Spirit. Their ignorance of the Scriptures and the power of God He declared to be the cause of their confusion of faith and darkness of mind. They were seeking to bring the mysteries of God within the compass of their finite reasoning. Christ called upon them to open their minds to those sacred truths that would broaden and strengthen the understanding. Thousands become infidels because their finite minds cannot comprehend the mysteries of God. They cannot explain the wonderful exhibition of divine power in His providences, therefore they reject the evidences of such power, attributing them to natural agencies which they can comprehend still less. The only key to the mysteries that surround us is to acknowledge in them all the presence and power of God. Men need to recognize God as the Creator of the universe, One who commands and executes all things. They need a broader view of His character, and of the mystery of His agencies."

The study of the scriptures will give us knowledge that will protect us from errors while the daily surrender of self and looking to Jesus will protect us from sin as He transforms us into His image. There is too much head knowledge today and not much heart surrender. The two must be united in Jesus to show the world that the beautiful attributes of God will be seen in those who accept Him fully into their lives. May the reading of these chapters open up deeper truths each day as we grow in God's grace.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2020, 06:31:52 PM »
Again, what a blessing to read today's posts!! Every time I read that the enemy never ever again attempted to trap Jesus, i rejoice.

In reply to the statement that Christ was the Son of David, Jesus said, "How then doth David in Spirit [the Spirit of Inspiration from God] call Him Lord, saying, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit Thou on My right hand, till I make Thine enemies Thy footstool? If David then call Him Lord, how is He his son? And no man was able to answer Him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask Him any more questions."
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2020, 03:37:11 AM »
With so many winds of doctrine that tend to lead away from a simple, childlike trust of the word of God as it reads, we would do well to learn from the time in which Jesus lived and reflect on how Scripture was often misunderstood because of unbelief and hypocrisy. At Jesus' time there were Pharisees and Sadducees, and while the Pharisees often were arraigned by Jesus for their hypocrisy (teaching one thing and doing another), the Sadducees were arraigned by Christ for their unbelief of the word of God. Both could come to Christ and be saved if they would surrender the whole heart to Christ and let Him lead them into all truth, but they would need to surrender their own plans and purposes to be in harmony with God's word. So it is still. Let us accept God's word and allow Jesus to lead our lives according to His word as our standard. "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" (Isaiah 8:20).

"The Sadducees had flattered themselves that they of all men adhered most strictly to the Scriptures. But Jesus showed that they had not known their true meaning. That knowledge must be brought home to the heart by the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit. Their ignorance of the Scriptures and the power of God He declared to be the cause of their confusion of faith and darkness of mind. They were seeking to bring the mysteries of God within the compass of their finite reasoning. Christ called upon them to open their minds to those sacred truths that would broaden and strengthen the understanding. Thousands become infidels because their finite minds cannot comprehend the mysteries of God. They cannot explain the wonderful exhibition of divine power in His providences, therefore they reject the evidences of such power, attributing them to natural agencies which they can comprehend still less. The only key to the mysteries that surround us is to acknowledge in them all the presence and power of God. Men need to recognize God as the Creator of the universe, One who commands and executes all things. They need a broader view of His character, and of the mystery of His agencies." {The Desire of Ages, page 605, paragraph 5}

We cannot fully understand everything, because God is infinite and we are finite. We need to accept the one principle of taking God's word as it reads, and also making the service and honor of God supreme so that perplexities may vanish, and we may find a plain path before our feet! Then, as we obey God's word as it reads because Jesus lives in our hearts by a true conversion experience whereby all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing, we can be kept from the snares of Satan in the form of winds of doctrine that lead away from God's word in its true context. Let us look to Jesus in all His loveliness and realize that when met with controversy, He did not enter into controversy, but called His hearers and questioners to answer their own questions from the word of God.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2020, 05:07:14 AM »
"The ritual service was of no value, unless connected with Christ by living faith. Even the moral law fails of its purpose, unless it is understood in its relation to the Saviour. Christ had repeatedly shown that His Father's law contained something deeper than mere authoritative commands. In the law is embodied the same principle that is revealed in the gospel. The law points out man's duty and shows him his guilt. To Christ he must look for pardon and for power to do what the law enjoins."

When this simple vital truth is finally understood and believed it brings such rejoicing to the soul. It never gets old to me for each time I meditate on it the gospel becomes more precious. God's grace is truly amazing.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2020, 07:45:52 AM »
"The scribe was near to the kingdom of God, in that he recognized deeds of righteousness as more acceptable to God than burnt offerings and sacrifices. But he needed to recognize the divine character of Christ, and through faith in Him receive power to do the works of righteousness. The ritual service was of no value, unless connected with Christ by living faith. Even the moral law fails of its purpose, unless it is understood in its relation to the Saviour. Christ had repeatedly shown that His Father's law contained something deeper than mere authoritative commands. In the law is embodied the same principle that is revealed in the gospel.

"The law points out man's duty and shows him his guilt. To Christ he must look for pardon and for power to do what the law enjoins."

We Need to remember the words of the song....Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus - Look Full in His Wonder Face and the Things of Earth Will Grow Strangely Dim In the Light of His Glory and Grace. Thereby We Will Be Empowered to Live For Him and Share His Love with Others.

Philip T

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »
 The first four of the Ten Commandments are summed up in the one great precept, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart." The last six are included in the other, "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." Both these commandments are an expression of the principle of love. The first cannot be kept and the second broken, nor can the second be kept while the first is broken. When God has His rightful place on the throne of the heart, the right place will be given to our neighbor. We shall love him as ourselves. And only as we love God supremely is it possible to love our neighbor impartially. 

As I prayed and thought upon today's reading the following thought came to mind, When we allow the love of Jesus to flow into our lives as the first four commandments instruct us to to, and we allow the Holy Spirit to indwell in our minds and lead us this love will flow to our neighbors as the last 6 commandment direct. And who is our neighbor? As the parable or story of the good Samaritan points out all are our neighbors. So that love that we have through Jesus and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit needs to flow out of us to our neighbors as the love and grace flow out of the heavenly temple as Ezekiel says, and flows to the ocean, but along the way when it flows into the marshes with no outlet it becomes putrid and nothing grows.
Just having the love of Jesus is not enough, we need to let it flow out of us or all the learning is of no avail to us.
I pray that the Holy Spirit will move on my heart convicting me to pass on the truths expressed here today to my neighbors.

Beacon

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »
"Thousands become infidels because their finite minds cannot comprehend the mysteries of God. They cannot explain the wonderful exhibition of divine power in His providence's, therefore they reject the evidences of such power, attributing them to natural agencies which they can comprehend still less..

"The only key" to the mysteries that surround us is to acknowledge in them all the presence and power of God.

"Men need to recognize God as the Creator of the universe, One who commands and executes all things. They need a broader view of His character, and of the mystery of His agencies..  God moves upon the heart by the Holy Spirit. He showed the error of trusting to human power for that transformation of character which can be wrought only by the Spirit of God..

When God has His rightful place on the throne of the heart, the right place will be given to our neighbor. We shall love him as ourselves..

Let us come humbly and be filled with power that He promised us so that all of the fruits of the Spirit may be demonstrated daily in our lives.

And only as we love God supremely is it possible to love our neighbor impartially."

"If" we truly want to be "Like Jesus " we must remember what He said....So that we can be empowered to be His True Ambassadors.

Remember John 15:5 says "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2021, 07:15:31 AM »
Amen brother Beacon!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:33 AM »
Amen, brothers!!

“And since all the commandments are summed up in love to God and man, it follows that not one precept can be broken without violating this principle. Thus Christ taught His hearers that the law of God is not so many separate precepts, some of which are of great importance, while others are of small importance and may with impunity be ignored. Our Lord presents the first four and the last six commandments as a divine whole, and teaches that love to God will be shown by obedience to all His commandments.” {The Desire of Ages, page 607, paragraph 3}

Let us love God who first loved us and in sending Jesus came to save us from our sins!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2021, 03:54:08 AM »
"The Sadducees rejected the teaching of Jesus; He was animated by a spirit which they would not acknowledge as manifesting itself thus; and His teaching in regard to God and the future life contradicted their theories. They believed in God as the only being superior to man; but they argued that an overruling providence and a divine foresight would deprive man of free moral agency, and degrade him to the position of a slave. It was their belief, that, having created man, God had left him to himself, independent of a higher influence. They held that man was free to control his own life and to shape the events of the world; that his destiny was in his own hands. They denied that the Spirit of God works through human efforts or natural means. Yet they still held that, through the proper employment of his natural powers, man could become elevated and enlightened; that by rigorous and austere exactions his life could be purified."

It is amazing how far astray one goes when God is not in the heart. We see it all around us today. There are theories that intelligent human beings are accepting and teaching who claim to know the bible yet have accepted the most incredulous ideas pertaining to the Godhead, flat earth, and sinning until Jesus comes among others.  Once we entertain a theory that is not in scripture but sounds reasonable to us it matures into deep rooted believe and no amount of reasoning will move them. But just as Jesus worked and taught the truth we are to do the same and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting. We must always remember that we are seed sowers and God gathers in the harvest.

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2021, 04:18:01 AM »
"When God has His rightful place on the throne of the heart, the right place will be given to our neighbor. We shall love him as ourselves...

"Only as we love God supremely is it possible to love our neighbor impartially"

Since all the commandments are summed up in love to God and man, it follows that not one precept can be broken without violating this principle. Thus Christ taught His hearers that the law of God is not so many separate precepts, some of which are of great importance, while others are of small importance and may with impunity be ignored"

"Our Lord presents the first four and the last six commandments as a divine whole, and teaches that love to God will be shown by obedience to all His commandments." 

May we all remember that by the keeping and practicing of God's Ten Commandments we are not "legalists" but only showing our love to Jesus who said..."IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS" John 14:15 - Exodus 20:8-11

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2021, 05:57:53 AM »
Love is from God, for God is love. We need His love in our hearts by beholding the love of Jesus who reveals the Father's love to us. As we surrender fully to Him, He imbues us with all of the attributes of His love, which includes love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, meekness, goodness, faith and temperance! All glory to God!

"The first four of the Ten Commandments are summed up in the one great precept, 'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart.' The last six are included in the other, 'Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.' Both these commandments are an expression of the principle of love. The first cannot be kept and the second broken, nor can the second be kept while the first is broken. When God has His rightful place on the throne of the heart, the right place will be given to our neighbor. We shall love him as ourselves. And only as we love God supremely is it possible to love our neighbor impartially." {The Desire of Ages, page 607, paragraph 2}

Let this love flow through you and you will be a blessing to others as Jesus does a new work in and through you today to manifest the love that is infinite!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2021, 11:35:51 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Why is this? Why cannot I love my neighbor if I do not love God supremely? Do we all agree with this truth?

And since all the commandments are summed up in love to God and man, it follows that not one precept can be broken without violating this principle. Thus Christ taught His hearers that the law of God is not so many separate precepts, some of which are of great importance, while others are of small importance and may with impunity be ignored. Our Lord presents the first four and the last six commandments as a divine whole, and teaches that love to God will be shown by obedience to all His commandments.   

James tells us the same, "If we offend in one point, we offend in all."  We cannot serve two masters at the same time. The tree is either bad or good. And the fruit from the tree will reveal which tree it is. It is impossible to get good fruit from a bad tree. It is impossible to get bad fruit from a good tree. Then what must we say if we sin? And what must we say if the fruit of the Spirit is seen in the life? Why do we not see the gospel and the gospel only being preached from our pulpits and printed on our presses?

Where is Jesus when you or I sin a known sin? He does not cease to love us. He stands at the door of the heart, knocking, wanting back into the heart.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »

"Only as we love God supremely is it possible to love our neighbor impartially"

Since all the commandments are summed up in love to God and man, it follows that not one precept can be broken without violating this principle. Thus Christ taught His hearers that the law of God is not so many separate precepts, some of which are of great importance, while others are of small importance and may with impunity be ignored"

"Our Lord presents the first four and the last six commandments as a divine whole, and teaches that love to God will be shown by obedience to all His commandments." 

May we all remember that by the keeping and practicing of God's Ten Commandments we are not "legalists" but only showing our love to Jesus who said..."IF YOU LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS" John 14:15 - Exodus 20:8-11

Amen Brother  Beacon!  Such a simple truth that many do not understand.

Dorine

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2021, 05:51:17 AM »
"The scribe was near to the kingdom of God, in that he recognized deeds of righteousness as more acceptable to God than burnt offerings and sacrifices. But he needed to recognize the divine character of Christ, and through faith in Him receive power to do the works of righteousness. The ritual service was of no value, unless connected with Christ by living faith. Even the moral law fails of its purpose, unless it is understood in its relation to the Saviour. Christ had repeatedly shown that His Father's law contained something deeper than mere authoritative commands. In the law is embodied the same principle that is revealed in the gospel. The law points out man's duty and shows him his guilt. To Christ he must look for pardon and for power to do what the law enjoins."

When God touches our hearts He rejoices when we accept truth with a child like faith but what He longs for is an acknowledgment and acceptance of His divinity. He wants to be our personal friend and Saviour that He may accomplish His mighty and powerful works in us, for us and through us to win a lost world to Him.

Beacon

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2021, 06:13:02 AM »
"The ritual service was of no value, unless connected with Christ by living faith. "

"Even the moral law fails of its purpose, unless it is understood in its relation to the Saviour. Christ had repeatedly shown that His Father's law contained something deeper than mere authoritative commands. In the law is embodied the same principle that is revealed in the gospel."

"The law points out man's duty and shows him his guilt. To Christ he must look for pardon and for power to do what the law enjoins."

We Need to remember the words of the song....Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus - Look Full in His Wonder Face and the Things of Earth Will Grow Strangely Dim In the Light of His Glory and Grace. Thereby We Will Be Empowered to Live For Him and Share His Love with Others. I want to be a living example of His Love & Grace - Don't You?.

Philip T

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2021, 07:17:34 AM »
   By His words and His works, Christ testified to a divine power that produces supernatural results, to a future life beyond the present, to God as a Father of the children of men, ever watchful of their true interests. He revealed the working of divine power in benevolence and compassion that rebuked the selfish exclusiveness of the Sadducees. He taught that both for man's temporal and for his eternal good, God moves upon the heart by the Holy Spirit. He showed the error of trusting to human power for that transformation of character which can be wrought only by the Spirit of God.

The only way to transformation of character is the work of the Holy Spirit when we surrender our heart to Jesus in faith.  When our characters are transformed we then show forth the Love of God to those around us.  Only through, prayer, study of Gods two books Scripture and nature, faith and surrender, can the Holy Spirit work in our lives.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2021, 04:46:23 PM »
Amen, Sister Dorine, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!

I am SO SO HAPPY Jesus gives us both PARDON and POWER to do His will as revealed in His law of love! I am SO SO THANKFUL that He came not to condemn, but to restore and heal! Then the heart He heals and restores will bear the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in affectionately doing His will! Glory to God forevermore!!

"In the law is embodied the same principle that is revealed in the gospel. The law points out man's duty and shows him his guilt. To Christ he must look for pardon and for power to do what the law enjoins." {The Desire of Ages, page 608, paragraph 2}   

By looking to Jesus constantly with the eye of faith, we may be strengthened! There is no limit to the usefulness of the soul who puts self aside and makes room for the working of the Holy Spirit upon the heart and lives a life fully consecrated to God! Let your life be one lived above the confusion of controversy in the joy of His will as revealed in His word and His providential leading!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2021, 09:05:17 PM »
Amen!!  It is such a blessing to see how the Spirit is leading us!! 

The scribe was near to the kingdom of God, in that he recognized deeds of righteousness as more acceptable to God than burnt offerings and sacrifices. But he needed to recognize the divine character of Christ, and through faith in Him receive power to do the works of righteousness. The ritual service was of no value, unless connected with Christ by living faith. Even the moral law fails of its purpose, unless it is understood in its relation to the Saviour. Christ had repeatedly shown that His Father's law contained something deeper than mere authoritative commands. In the law is embodied the same principle that is revealed in the gospel. The law points out man's duty and shows him his guilt. To Christ he must look for pardon and for power to do what the law enjoins. 

Here there is an important truth that many even though sincere in what they believe do not understand the principle which is set forth.  How is the law related to Christ and why is it necessary for us to look beyond the law? Many think the law brings forth salvation, but it will not unless connected to Christ. What is the purpose of the law? It reveals our duty, but does not give us power to obey. Where do we find salvation? In Christ. We are saved by grace, not by law. God wants the heart and the only way we can give Him the whole heart is to know Him and to trust Him. He is so very worthy of having our hearts.