Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--64--A Doomed People  (Read 44417 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--64--A Doomed People
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2020, 06:23:52 AM »
Amen Philip. So nice to have you join us for our daily time with Jesus. It is such a blessing to meet together and share what the Holy Spirit has impressed each of us with.

Christ's act in cursing the fig tree had astonished the disciples. It seemed to them unlike His ways and works. Often they had heard Him declare that He came not to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. They remembered His words, "The Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." Luke 9:56. His wonderful works had been done to restore, never to destroy. The disciples had known Him only as the Restorer, the Healer. This act stood alone. What was its purpose? they questioned.        

God "delighteth in mercy." "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked." Micah 7:18; Ezekiel 33:11. To Him the work of destruction and the denunciation of judgment is a "strange work." Isaiah 28:21.

God is so longsuffering toward us and I'm so thankful for His mercy and grace. I was impressed with the sentence that says.
"But it is in mercy and love that He lifts the veil from the future, and reveals to men the results of a course of sin." If God did not tell us the results of going our own way there would be danger in us thinking His love weighs too heavily on the side of mercy for Him to ever carry out His judgements. Jesus' death on the cross proves that theory wrong. May we carry out this truth in our own lives so the world will see that His love is revealed in both His mercy and His justice.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2021, 10:21:11 PM »
"The cursing of the fig tree was an acted parable. That barren tree, flaunting its pretentious foliage in the very face of Christ, was a symbol of the Jewish nation. The Saviour desired to make plain to His disciples the cause and the certainty of Israel's doom.

For this purpose He invested the tree with moral qualities, and made it the expositor of divine truth. The Jews stood forth distinct from all other nations, professing allegiance to God. They had been specially favored by Him, and they laid claim to righteousness above every other people."

But they were corrupted by the love of the world and the greed of gain.

They boasted of their knowledge, but they were ignorant of the requirements of God, and were full of hypocrisy. Like the barren tree, they spread their pretentious branches aloft, luxuriant in appearance, and beautiful to the eye,..

...but they yielded "nothing but leaves."

The Jewish religion, with its magnificent temple, its sacred altars, its mitered priests and impressive ceremonies, was indeed fair in outward appearance, but humility, love, and benevolence were lacking.

How about "US"? --- Are "WE" the REAL THING or are "WE" PRETENTIOUS? Our choices "TODAY" will Determine our Final Destination. 
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2021, 04:09:26 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Only by inviting Christ to abide in our hearts continually will we be enabled to live faithfully and victorious over the temptations from the world, the flesh and the devil. By beholding Jesus' loveliness which motivates us to yield to Him the whole heart, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing, and we can overcome sin in Christ because He is our victory! Then the precious experience of loving obedience will be manifest in harmony with all of the light God has graciously given us, because Jesus first loved us! Let us make the most of our probationary time before Jesus returns!

"In every age there is given to men their day of light and privilege, a probationary time in which they may become reconciled to God. But there is a limit to this grace. Mercy may plead for years and be slighted and rejected; but there comes a time when mercy makes her last plea. The heart becomes so hardened that it ceases to respond to the Spirit of God. Then the sweet, winning voice entreats the sinner no longer, and reproofs and warnings cease." {The Desire of Ages, page 587, paragraph 1}

While Jesus is still interceding for us in the heavenly sanctuary, there is time to repent! But soon the door of probation will close, for Jesus will cease His ministry in the sanctuary above and come in power and great glory to take those with Him who have yielded themselves to His transforming grace that has the power to turn sinners into saints! He calls us to become like Him in mind and character and has the power to do in and through us His holy will! Let us listen and let Him lead us moment-by-moment!   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2021, 04:40:35 AM »
"Christ overlooked the world and all ages from the height of Olivet; and His words are applicable to every soul who slights the pleadings of divine mercy. Scorner of His love, He addresses you today. It is "thou, even thou," who shouldest know the things that belong to thy peace. Christ is shedding bitter tears for you, who have no tears to shed for yourself. Already that fatal hardness of heart which destroyed the Pharisees is manifest in you. And every evidence of the grace of God, every ray of divine light, is either melting and subduing the soul, or confirming it in hopeless impenitence."

Oh that today we will be allowing the grace of God to melt our hearts and transform us into His character. The results of God's mercy and justice are poles apart yet they both come from a heart of love. Years ago my husband had to discipline his young daughter for something that would lead her in the wrong direction. He said, Honey it's because I love you not because I want to make you unhappy. Her reply was, "I wish you didn't love me so much".  I think many times adults have the same attitude. Our happiness can only be found in a total surrender to Jesus and a continual abiding in Him.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2021, 07:47:09 AM »
The Jewish nation was a symbol of the people of all ages who scorn the pleadings of Infinite Love. The tears of Christ when He wept over Jerusalem were for the sins of all time. In the judgments pronounced upon Israel, those who reject the reproofs and warnings of God's Holy Spirit, may read their own condemnation.

Amen Pastor Sean and sister Dorine.

The tears of Jesus when he wept  over Jerusalem were tears shed for our sins as well. We see is Israel's judgement for sin ours is pronounced also by Christ. However; it is our rejection of Christ, our unwillingness to surrender ALLto Christ  that ends in the Holy Spirit being grieved away over time. So It can no longer work on the conviction of our hearts.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2021, 03:57:24 AM »
Amen Brother Phillip.  We must give all to God. We cannot hold anything back. We must love the Lord our God with all of the heart in order to become a partaker of His divine nature. Holiness applies to the heart. In order to be holy we must be filled with the Spirit. There is no condemnation to those who are filled with the Spirit because they do not sin a known sin. And, they walk after the Spirit, not after the flesh. All of the fruits are seen in their lives, not one  missing. How can this be?

As Sister Dorine pointed out, we allow "the grace of God to melt our hearts and transform us into His character." As Pastor Sean has shared, mercy still pleads that we will come to Jesus and give Him the whole heart while our probationary time remains. Brother Beacon clearly understood the lesson we are to learn from today's reading:

The Jewish religion, with its magnificent temple, its sacred altars, its mitered priests and impressive ceremonies, was indeed fair in outward appearance, but humility, love, and benevolence were lacking.

When we love God supremely, we will not just appear "good" on the outside, we shall be good on the inside. Our hearts having allowed the grace of God in, will be seen our "humility, love, and benevolence."

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.