Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--61--Zacchaeus  (Read 15613 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--61--Zacchaeus
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2019, 05:52:50 AM »
"The chief among the publicans," Zacchaeus, was a Jew, and detested by his countrymen. His rank and wealth were the reward of a calling they abhorred, and which was regarded as another name for injustice and extortion. Yet the wealthy customs officer was not altogether the hardened man of the world that he seemed. Beneath the appearance of worldliness and pride was a heart susceptible to divine influences."

This is a great reminder of one reason we should never judge another. Jesus knew this man's heart and went out of His way to give Zacchaeus the opportunity to publicly declare his confession. What a transformation that took place that day. Not just for himself but his whole family was blessed as well. What a friend we have in Jesus. Just as He did with Zacchaeus, He is seeking for the hated, seemingly hopeless and the lost. We never know the struggles some may be going through as they encounter the Holy Spirit and are convicted as Zacchaeus was to turn their lives over to Jesus.
I love these personal words in the hymn, "In the Garden"; "He walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me I am His own." This was Zacchaeus' experience that day and it will be for all who accept Jesus as their personal Saviour. Oh what joy! Oh what peace when we open the heart's door to Jesus.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2019, 06:29:32 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

Jesus knows us better than we know ourselves, and He can also read the desires that we have not uttered. I love how Jesus intentionally sought out Zacchaeus, and how his life was transformed by God's grace! As we yield fully to Christ, our hearts and lives are healed and made new, and Jesus will more than fulfill the desires of the heart He renews by divine grace!

"Above the clamor of priests and rabbis and the shouts of welcome from the multitude, that unuttered desire of the chief publican spoke to the heart of Jesus. Suddenly, just beneath the fig tree, a group halts, the company before and behind come to a standstill, and One looks upward whose glance seems to read the soul. Almost doubting his senses,the man in the tree hears the words, 'Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for today I must abide at thy house.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 553, paragraph 3}

When Christ draws us to Himself, it is that He may bless us and we in turn will become a blessing to others! Zacchaeus became a living witness of what God's divine grace can do--change a sinner into a saint--and thus brought light and gladness to his family and to the people who knew him in Jericho and all around, with a witness that continues to sound down the ages in the pages of Scripture!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »
Amen, amen, and amen!!  Even a men such as the great persecutor, Saul of Tarsus can be converted! What does it mean to be converted? This is the great deception Satan has brought into God's church. We get a good picture of it in today's reading.

But no sooner did Zacchaeus yield to the influence of the Holy Spirit than he cast aside every practice contrary to integrity.   

No repentance is genuine that does not work reformation. The righteousness of Christ is not a cloak to cover unconfessed and unforsaken sin; it is a principle of life that transforms the character and controls the conduct. Holiness is wholeness for God; it is the entire surrender of heart and life to the indwelling of the principles of heaven.   

How many sermons, how many books, how many cds, tapes, videos, and all such things teach otherwise! We are without excuse as a people, for every day we are reading the same thing so that our eyes might be opened to the loveliness of Jesus. It is a knowledge of God that brings about true conversion. Conversion is a radical transformation  of character, then and there, not just for the 144,000. "But no sooner did Zacchaeus yield to the influence of the Holy Spirit than he cast aside every practice contrary to integrity."
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 07:06:29 PM »
"Beneath the appearance of worldliness and pride was a heart susceptible to divine influences. Zacchaeus had heard of Jesus. The report of One who had borne Himself with kindness and courtesy toward the proscribed classes had spread far and wide. In this chief of the publicans was awakened a longing for a better life. Only a few miles from Jericho, John the Baptist had preached at the Jordan, and Zacchaeus had heard of the call to repentance. The instruction to the publicans, "Exact no more than that which is appointed you" (Luke 3:13), though outwardly disregarded, had impressed his mind. He knew the Scriptures, and was convicted that his practice was wrong. Now, hearing the words reported to have come from the Great Teacher, he felt that he was a sinner in the sight of God. Yet what he had heard of Jesus kindled hope in his heart. Repentance, reformation of life, was possible, even to him; was not one of the new Teacher's most trusted disciples a publican? Zacchaeus began at once to follow the conviction that had taken hold upon him, and to make restitution to those whom he had wronged."[/font]

The story of Zacchaeus should remind us of our great need to be compassionate even to the ones who may, on the surface appear to be beyond the reach of the Gospel Message. The way that Jesus related to him warmed his heart which made it possible for the Holy Spirit to bring conviction about his lifestyle and aroused a strong desire to Confess, Surrender, and make a strong commitment to live the Christian Life.  What do people in the world and in the church see and hear when interacting with US? Does our conversation and lifestyle attract or repulse?? 

At all times must remember that Jesus came to seek and save the "Lost"  Both in the church and in the world.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2019, 06:46:51 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! We were both impressed by the same underlying truth!!

Jesus looks at the heart. And that is what He saw in Zacchaeus--a heart that was receptive to the Holy Spirit's influence. We may never know until heaven how many hearts were open to truth all around us, but we may have been tempted to look on the outward appearance and think that they were not open. Let us learn to abide in Christ continually so that when He bids us speak a word of hope and truth for Him to a soul in need, we will obey the Spirit's promptings. As we let Him speak through us, we will find many more stars in our crown to endure as redeemed souls through the ceaseless ages of eternity as Christ Himself is the one that wrought through us to save souls!! Hallelujah!!

'"The chief among the publicans,' Zacchaeus, was a Jew, and detested by his countrymen. His rank and wealth were the reward of a calling they abhorred, and which was regarded as another name for injustice and extortion. Yet the wealthy customs officer was not altogether the hardened man of the world that he seemed. Beneath the appearance of worldliness and pride was a heart susceptible to divine influences. Zacchaeus had heard of Jesus. The report of One who had borne Himself with kindness and courtesy toward the proscribed classes had spread far and wide. In this chief of the publicans was awakened a longing for a better life. Only a few miles from Jericho, John the Baptist had preached at the Jordan, and Zacchaeus had heard of the call to repentance. The instruction to the publicans, 'Exact no more than that which is appointed you' (Luke 3:13), though outwardly disregarded, had impressed his mind. He knew the Scriptures, and was convicted that his practice was wrong. Now, hearing the words reported to have come from the Great Teacher, he felt that he was a sinner in the sight of God. Yet what he had heard of Jesus kindled hope in his heart. Repentance, reformation of life, was possible, even to him; was not one of the new Teacher's most trusted disciples a publican? Zacchaeus began at once to follow the conviction that had taken hold upon him, and to make restitution to those whom he had wronged." {The Desire of Ages, page 552, paragraph 4}

As we experience the hope that is kindled by beholding Jesus, may we remember also that Jesus came to save us--who by nature are fallen and evil and cannot change ourselves. Yet we can look to Jesus and surrender the whole heart to Him to purify! As Christ comes to live in us by faith, we experience the whole heart is renewed and imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! Then we gladly obey the law of God to the extent that we know of it and rejoice in the privilege of being used by God to win souls!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2019, 06:51:14 AM »
Amen dear Brother Beacon! When was Zacchaeus converted? When did salvation comes to him? And what brought forth this entire surrender of his heart? Amen Pastor Sean! It is by beholding Jesus that we are changed into  His image by the Spirit (2 Cor. 3:18).

Zacchaeus had been overwhelmed, amazed, and silenced at the love and condescension of Christ in stooping to him, so unworthy. Now love and loyalty to his new-found Master unseal his lips. He will make public his confession and his repentance.
     In the presence of the multitude, "Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
     "And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham."
     When the rich young ruler had turned away from Jesus, the disciples had marveled at their Master's saying, "How hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!" They had exclaimed one to another, "Who then can be saved?" Now they had a demonstration of the truth of Christ's words, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God." Mark 10:24, 26; Luke 18:27. They saw how, through the grace of God, a rich man could enter into the kingdom.

Amen! Conversion is a radical transformation of character. It happens in response to God's grace. On this day, salvation came to Zacchaeus as his heart went out fully to Christ. Conviction had begun prior to this day, and he began to make restitution, but this is not evidence of conversion. It is when Christ is allowed to abide in the heart. Conviction of sin does not bring about conversion, it only awakens our guilt. It is the revelation of God's goodness and forgiveness that transforms the heart. Conviction of sin leads us to seek out God who then reveals to us His grace towards us individually. This needs to be a daily matter of seeing His grace. For it is by grace we are saved daily, moment by moment.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2020, 04:10:47 AM »
Only the Holy Spirit can bring a complete character transformation in our lives! Let us yield completely to Him so He may work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure! Happy Sabbath to all!

"No repentance is genuine that does not work reformation. The righteousness of Christ is not a cloak to cover unconfessed and unforsaken sin; it is a principle of life that transforms the character and controls the conduct. Holiness is wholeness for God; it is the entire surrender of heart and life to the indwelling of the principles of heaven." {The Desire of Ages, page 555, paragraph 6}

When Zacchaeus accepted Christ, he also became willing to do whatever was necessary to make things right with others. Let us allow the Holy Spirit to lead us in the path that is best for God's glory! Abiding in Christ means that all of the fruits of His Spirit will be in our lives without one missing, leading to entire reformation of life in wholehearted obedience to God's law of love!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2020, 06:43:34 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean.  And what brings about true repentance? What caused Zacchaeus to be willing to do whatever was necessary to make things right, to live a life of wholehearted obedience? It is the love of God beheld and allowed into the heart. It is by beholding God's grace, His character that we are transformed into His image (2 Cor. 3:18). It is "the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance." Romans 2:4.

Zacchaeus had been overwhelmed, amazed, and silenced at the love and condescension of Christ in stooping to him, so unworthy. Now love and loyalty to his new-found Master unseal his lips. He will make public his confession and his repentance.
     In the presence of the multitude, "Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
     "And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham." 

So it is today. All who will take time to behold God's unmerited love will be transformed in nature.

Dorine

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »

"It is when Christ is received as a personal Saviour that salvation comes to the soul. Zacchaeus had received Jesus, not merely as a passing guest in his home, but as One to abide in the soul temple. The scribes and Pharisees accused him as a sinner, they murmured against Christ for becoming his guest, but the Lord recognized him as a son of Abraham. For "they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham." Galatians 3:7." 

What an inspiring closing paragraph as to the experience of Zacchaeus. It should fill us with hope and encouragement as we realize that the love of Jesus accepts every repentant soul that comes to Him in surrender and confession. He not only forgives us but transforms our very nature just as Richard and Pastor Sean has pointed out. This is such a blessed truth to grasp.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2020, 10:40:07 AM »
"The wealthy customs officer was not altogether the hardened man of the world that he seemed. Beneath the appearance of worldliness and pride was a heart susceptible to divine influences. Zacchaeus had heard of Jesus. The report of One who had borne Himself with kindness and courtesy toward the proscribed classes had spread far and wide. In this chief of the publicans was awakened a longing for a better life."

What do others " Of the World " think when they see and hear us?  Would they be attracted to the Jesus we claim to know and serve?"

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2020, 08:08:25 PM »
Only a few miles from Jericho, John the Baptist had preached at the Jordan, and Zacchaeus had heard of the call to repentance. The instruction to the publicans, 'Exact no more than that which is appointed you' (Luke 3:13), though outwardly disregarded, had impressed his mind. He knew the Scriptures, and was convicted that his practice was wrong. Now, hearing the words reported to have come from the Great Teacher, he felt that he was a sinner in the sight of God. Yet what he had heard of Jesus kindled hope in his heart. Repentance, reformation of life, was possible, even to him; was not one of the new Teacher's most trusted disciples a publican? Zacchaeus began at once to follow the conviction that had taken hold upon him, and to make restitution to those whom he had wronged."

Jesus said in Matthew 11: 28 -30:

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Do you need and want forgiveness and restoration? - Jesus is just as willing to do for you what He did for Zacchaeus. Do you want to enjoy the peace and power of a life fully surrendered to Jesus? Come without delay because each time we neglect to respond the voice of the Holy Spirit gets softer and softer due to the hardening our hearts.    

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2020, 05:00:08 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Let us invite Jesus into our homes! Though many are worshipping at home during this time with the risk of the coronavirus, we can be thankful that no matter what reason we are at home, Christ longs to enter in and bless us with His divine presence! Zacchaeus and his family had not been welcome at the synagogue because of his occupation as a tax collector--but Jesus came to him and his family in a personal way to bring hope and salvation! Jesus longs to take up residence in every heart fully surrendered to Him, cleansing us from sin by His atoning blood as we confess our continual need of Him, and imbuing us with all of the fruits of the Spirit, so not one is missing.

"To Zacchaeus the Saviour said, 'This day is salvation come to this house.' Not only was Zacchaeus himself blessed, but all his household with him. Christ went to his home to give him lessons of truth, and to instruct his household in the things of the kingdom. They had been shut out from the synagogues by the contempt of rabbis and worshipers; but now, the most favored household in all Jericho, they gathered in their own home about the divine Teacher, and heard for themselves the words of life." {The Desire of Ages, page 556, paragraph 3}

Let us daily gather about the Bible to hear the word of eternal life, meditating upon it, memorizing it, and sharing it with others! We find strength and nobility of character by receiving the word of God into our character building experience!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean. When conviction of sin comes home to the heart, then there is Jesus reaching out a hand to reveal His grace. Even a publican and tax collector can be transformed in character by God's grace.

When the rich young ruler had turned away from Jesus, the disciples had marveled at their Master's saying, "How hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!" They had exclaimed one to another, "Who then can be saved?" Now they had a demonstration of the truth of Christ's words, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God." Mark 10:24, 26; Luke 18:27. They saw how, through the grace of God, a rich man could enter into the kingdom.

Grace is more than a word, it is the power that transforms sinners into saints.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2020, 05:46:29 AM »
Does Jesus know your unuttered desires? Yes! Jesus knew that Zacchaeus desired to see Him, and He knows that our deepest longing--whether we know it or not--is for Him! Jesus truly is the fulfillment of this prophecy: "And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts" (Haggai 2:7). He is "the desire of all nations," and only in Him and in complete surrender to His will do we find an experience in which all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest without one missing in humble, self-distrustful obedience to God's law of love!

"Above the clamor of priests and rabbis and the shouts of welcome from the multitude, that unuttered desire of the chief publican spoke to the heart of Jesus. Suddenly, just beneath the fig tree, a group halts, the company before and behind come to a standstill, and One looks upward whose glance seems to read the soul. Almost doubting his senses,the man in the tree hears the words, 'Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for today I must abide at thy house.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 553, paragraph 3}

Let us invite Jesus into our hearts and homes, let us make Him all in all! As Christ is central, our hearts will become renewed by His grace to be His abiding place!

Beacon

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »
"Beneath the appearance of worldliness and pride was a heart susceptible to divine influences. Zacchaeus had heard of Jesus. The report of One who had borne Himself with kindness and courtesy toward the proscribed classes had spread far and wide. In this chief of the publicans was awakened a longing for a better life. Only a few miles from Jericho, John the Baptist had preached at the Jordan, and Zacchaeus had heard of the call to repentance. The instruction to the publicans, "Exact no more than that which is appointed you" (Luke 3:13), though outwardly disregarded, had impressed his mind. He knew the Scriptures, and was convicted that his practice was wrong."

"Now, hearing the words reported to have come from the Great Teacher, he felt that he was a sinner in the sight of God. Yet what he had heard of Jesus kindled hope in his heart. Repentance, reformation of life, was possible, even to him; was not one of the new Teacher's most trusted disciples a publican? Zacchaeus began at once to follow the conviction that had taken hold upon him, and to make restitution to those whom he had wronged."

The story of Zacchaeus should remind us of our great need to be compassionate even to the ones who may, on the surface appear to be beyond the reach of the Gospel Message. The way that Jesus related to him warmed his heart which made it possible for the Holy Spirit to bring conviction about his lifestyle and aroused a strong desire to Confess, Surrender, and make a strong commitment to live the Christian Life. What do people in the world and in the church see and hear when interacting with US? Does our conversation and lifestyle attract or repulse??

At all times we must remember, Jesus came to seek and save the "Lost"  Both in the church and in the world.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2020, 04:58:41 AM »
Let us point people to Jesus and our true need of true conversion--which Zacchaeus experienced!

"It is when Christ is received as a personal Saviour that salvation comes to the soul." {The Desire of Ages, page 556, paragraph 4}

Let us look away from self to the Savior and abide in His love today by a continual surrender of our will to Him. Then the fruit of such a union and communion with Him will be evidenced by all of the fruits of the Spirit in the life without one missing!

Dorine

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2020, 06:37:10 AM »
"No repentance is genuine that does not work reformation. The righteousness of Christ is not a cloak to cover unconfessed and unforsaken sin; it is a principle of life that transforms the character and controls the conduct. Holiness is wholeness for God; it is the entire surrender of heart and life to the indwelling of the principles of heaven."   

And this leads to peace and joy because by faith we have taken God at His word and believe that what He has started in us He will finish. To know that our sins are forgiven and that He has given us a new heart will be evident in the transformation of our lives in the gifts of the fruit of the Spirit. Give Him your heart today for He has marvelous blessings He is waiting to bestow.

Beacon

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »
Only a few miles from Jericho, John the Baptist had preached at the Jordan, and Zacchaeus had heard of the call to repentance. The instruction to the publicans, "Exact no more than that which is appointed you" (Luke 3:13), though outwardly disregarded, had impressed his mind...

He knew the Scriptures, and was convicted that his practice was wrong..

Zacchaeus began at once to follow the conviction that had taken hold upon him, and to make restitution to those whom he had wronged."

The story of Zacchaeus should remind us of our great need to be compassionate even to the ones who may, on the surface appear to be beyond the reach of the Gospel Message.

The way that Jesus related to him warmed his heart which made it possible for the Holy Spirit to bring conviction about his lifestyle and aroused a strong desire to Confess, Surrender, and make a strong commitment to live the Christian Life.

What do people in the world and in the church see and hear when interacting with US? Does our conversation and lifestyle attract or repulse??

At all times we must remember, Jesus came to seek and save the "Lost"  Both in the church and in the world.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2020, 06:48:23 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean! 

Sister Dorine, I shared a link to your post with one whom I had been sharing the power of grace to transform our characters on this side of the close of probation. Some teach it is only the imputed righteousness given to us prior to the close of probation. Not so, He imputes and imparts His righteousness to all who love Him supremely.

Amen Brother Beacon. Speaking of publicans, did you see that the witness of Matthew was an inspiration to Zacchaeus?

Repentance, reformation of life, was possible, even to him; was not one of the new Teacher's most trusted disciples a publican? Zacchaeus began at once to follow the conviction that had taken hold upon him, and to make restitution to those whom he had wronged. 

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2020, 04:56:40 AM »
Among the publicans there was a confederacy, so that they could oppress the people, and sustain one another in their fraudulent practices. In their extortion they were but carrying out what had become an almost universal custom. Even the priests and rabbis who despised them were guilty of enriching themselves by dishonest practices under cover of their sacred calling. But no sooner did Zacchaeus yield to the influence of the Holy Spirit than he cast aside every practice contrary to integrity.

When the Holy Spirit has access to our hearts and minds, He will do a thorough work of convicting us of every sin in our lives and bring us to full conversion. The struggle may be intense but I like the immediate response of Zacchaeus to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. There was no struggle in his mind as to what he must do. The same will be true for all who sincerely repent.