Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom  (Read 16094 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2020, 06:51:34 AM »
"In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. "Every one of us shall give account of himself to God." No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity."

This quote brings such peace to my mind. I am not responsible for the choices of others. By living a life surrendered to God I may be a positive influence in their lives but never in a forceful way. Following in the footsteps of Jesus, watching and listening to His teachings helps us to understand what our place is in showing to the world the blessings of freedom, love and mercy in God's kingdom.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2020, 07:13:22 AM »
"In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal,,

It is the result of character..

The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained;

They are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ..
]

It is only by beholding Christ and surrendering to His Love every day that we are changed from selfishness to having ..

" ALL" the fruits of the Spirit, without one missing.

Let us all determine to "Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus" every day, for only then, will the things of earth grow strangely dim in the light of His Glory & Grace.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Beacon

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2020, 07:08:33 AM »
"In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity." 

God's word says in...  John 13:33-35 "Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

How much happier would be the remnant church of God if with Heavenly Discernment we all would commit to following this counsel. :)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2020, 09:03:21 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! God gives us counsel because He loves to have us set free from sin and whatever would hinder us from His best for us!

Freedom is good. God loves freedom. But the definition of freedom is love, and the definition of love is the Ten Commandments as exemplified in the life and character of Christ. (A "freedom" outside the context God created is really a deceptive form of slavery to sin, the world, the flesh, and the devil.) When we live by faith on Christ as a personal Savior in continual union and communion of our souls with Him, He cleanses us from our sins and imbues us with all of the fruits of the Spirit, for "against such there is no law" (Galatians 5:23). When we realize that our greatest need is to abide in Jesus on a constant basis, we will live in total freedom to do God's will which is defined by His word and revealed in His providences by the Holy Spirit. Oh, let us realize the HIGH PRIVILEGE of being free to do God's will that we may invite others to go and do likewise!

"In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. 'Every one of us shall give account of himself to God.' No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, 'let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.' Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity." {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraph 6}

As we go forth to be a blessing today in whatever way God's providence directs us in harmony with His word, let us encourage others to know that God is able to do more than we ask or think when we simply trust Him with the whole heart by surrendering fully to His love!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »
"The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, "For to me to live is Christ;" for his life revealed Christ to men; "and to die is gain,"--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. "Christ shall be magnified in my body," he said, "whether it be by life or by death." Philippians 1:21, 20.

Oh to be like Jesus. Paul knew and understood what it meant to live the life of Jesus. As we spend time in the word and sharing this love with others we too will be able to say as did Paul; "For to me to live is Christ". That is a statement worth pondering. May the way we live each day testify of Christ and "gather souls to Him".
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »
     In the kingdoms of the world, position meant self-aggrandizement. The people were supposed to exist for the benefit of the ruling classes. Influence, wealth, education, were so many means of gaining control of the masses for the use of the leaders. The higher classes were to think, decide, enjoy, and rule; the lower were to obey and serve. Religion, like all things else, was a matter of authority. The people were expected to believe and practice as their superiors directed. The right of man as man, to think and act for himself, was wholly unrecognized. 

Such a plain simple statement. Do not we see this today?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2021, 08:01:53 PM »
"In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal.

It is the result of character.

The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ."

"Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you." Matthew 20:26

It is only by beholding Christ and surrendering to His Love every day that we are changed from selfishness to having " ALL" the fruits of the Spirit, without one missing. Let us all determine to "Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus" every day, for only then will the things of earth grow strangely dim in the light of His Glory & Grace.

HAPPY SABBATH JESUS AND TO ALL OF MY BROTHER'S AND SISTER'S IN CHRIST JESUS AROUND PLANET EARTH & BEYOND

Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2021, 05:53:04 AM »
Amen dear brother! The same impression I received this morning.

"But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. 

When we love God supremely as it is our privilege to do, we shall love our neighbor also, even our enemies. This is perfection of
Christian character which we obtain when we give the whole heart to Jesus. Love toward God and others is  the outworking of His Spirit that dwells within when we are made partakers of His divine nature (2 Peter 1:4). And it does not end in receiving His righteousness at conversion, no it becomes more abundant as we remain fully surrendered to Jesus. Praise His holy name!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2021, 06:41:41 AM »
"In all matters where principle is involved, "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity."

The spirit of rivalry brings dissatisfaction and misery and separates us from God. I love the heart of Jesus as He patiently works with His disciples. He has not changed. As siblings in God's family we should be the most loving, kind, and gentle people showing to the world that God's kingdom is a safe, peaceful and happy place for them to dwell.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2021, 04:44:58 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon, Brother Richard, and Sister Dorine!

I hope you alll had a happy Sabbath in the love of Christ! Happy new week!

Freedom is so amazing in Christ--the freedom to obey God in the unique way God made us to glorify Him as He renews our hearts and minds to reflect His loveliness of character!

"In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. 'Every one of us shall give account of himself to God.' No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, 'let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.' Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity." {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraph 6}   

We can be thankful that when Jesus has full possession of the heart, not only will all of the fruits of the Spirit be seen in our lives, but we will be led by the Holy Spirit to obey God's law of love with complete freedom of conscience! Surrender to Christ means a complete victory in being free to do the will of God!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2021, 08:34:19 AM »
"The Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many." Among His disciples Christ was in every sense a caretaker, a burden bearer. He shared their poverty, He practiced self-denial on their account, He went before them to smooth the more difficult places, and soon He would consummate His work on earth by laying down His life. The principle on which Christ acted is to actuate the members of the church which is His body. The plan and ground of salvation is love. In the kingdom of Christ those are greatest who follow the example He has given, and act as shepherds of His flock."  

May we keep these words in our hearts today and in fellowship with Jesus put others needs above our own. Jesus has shown us the way that we are to walk. Let nothing take us down a different path.

Beacon

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2021, 08:36:57 AM »
"When the ten heard of the request of James and John, they were much displeased. The highest place in the kingdom was just what every one of them was seeking for himself, and they were angry that the two disciples had gained a seeming advantage over them. Again the strife as to which should be greatest seemed about to be renewed, when Jesus, calling them to Him, said to the indignant disciples...

"Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you." Matthew 20:26

"In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ."

It is only by beholding Christ and surrendering to His Love every day that we are changed from selfishness to having " ALL" the fruits of the Spirit, without one missing. Let us all determine to "Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus" every day, for only then will the things of earth grow strangely dim in the light of His Glory & Grace.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2021, 09:30:56 AM »
Amen!!

It is interesting and of importance to note that the disciples were vying for the highest place. So it was on that last night before Jesus suffered and died for them and us. And, it would be good to understand that Satan worked through Judas to further this contention. This chapter today is to encourage us that His kingdom is different from the world. Satan has taken advantage of our alignment with him prior to our conversion, to turn things upside down. We think that our position is something of great importance and we must strive to be the highest. So we see with the disciples attempting to be at the highest position in the new kingdom. But, something contrary to what we have been taught in the  church, is made clear in our reading. Character which is so little taught is what is important to God. Character formed through self conquest.....through the power of Christ.

"But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Self conquest through Christ. There is no excuse for sin because Christ has power to keep us from sin. And when we abide in Jesus, we will obey and through obedience we shall develop a character which is holy and undefiled. This is why the Bible says at the end there will be a church which is composed of holy church members. Let him who is holy be holy. It is not given through the waving of a wand. No, it is a result of self conquest through depending upon God.

Many are waiting for the Latter Rain for power to obey. It will not happen if one is not already obedient through an indwelling Spirit. And, character is strengthened through obedience which forms habits which is our character. And, we find in today's reading that our position in heaven will be based on our character formed here on this dark spot in the universe.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »
Let us allow Christ to give us His true character as we surrender unreservedly to Him!

"The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that 'vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil' (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, 'For to me to live is Christ;' for his life revealed Christ to men; 'and to die is gain,'--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. 'Christ shall be magnified in my body,' he said, 'whether it be by life or by death.' Philippians 1:21, 20." {The Desire of Ages, page 549, paragraph 3}

Christ knows what is best for us. Look to Him in full surrender so He can imbue you with the Holy Spirit so all of the fruits of without one missing!

Beacon

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2021, 08:17:33 PM »
The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--

Love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--

"Love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity.

"Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16.

"The first of all the commandments is, "Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:29-31."

I pray that the words of this song may expresses our sincere desire to be filled with more Holy Spirit Power so that we will be enabled to LOVE as Jesus loves all of us.

=====================

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one foot to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have uttered idle words or vain,
If I have turned aside from want or pain,
Lest I myself shall suffer through the strain,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have been perverse or hard, or cold,
If I have longed for shelter in Thy fold,
When Thou hast given me some fort to hold,
Dear Lord, forgive!

Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee;
Forgive the secret sins I do not see;
O guide me, love me and my keeper be,
Dear Lord, Amen.

Philip T

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2021, 05:08:59 AM »

This statement is interesting is it not? God's kingdom favoritism has no place, it is not given by appointment on a whim, it is the result of character, they are attained by self denial, sacrifice, giving up self, which can only be done through faith in Jesus. Our characters become like Christs character. The life long path of sanctification. And the character is the only thing we will take to heaven with us.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2021, 07:44:19 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Philip!!

As we approach Jesus, the great center of our hopes and the One from whom comes all goodness and loveliness of character, we can rejoice to be partakers of the divine nature by having made His promises the foundation of our thoughts, feelings and motives! Then as we act in harmony with the law of love, our lives will bear witness of all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing because Christ lives in us, the hope of glory!

"The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that 'vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil' (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity. This spirit was made manifest in the life of Paul. He said, 'For to me to live is Christ;' for his life revealed Christ to men; 'and to die is gain,'--gain to Christ; death itself would make manifest the power of His grace, and gather souls to Him. 'Christ shall be magnified in my body,' he said, 'whether it be by life or by death.' Philippians 1:21, 20." {The Desire of Ages, page 549, paragraph 3}

When we look upon Jesus and see Him dying to save us from sin and selfishness, self will no longer clamor to be recognized. We shall be willing to be anything or nothing as His providence assigns us in His great plan of love! If you would like to experience Jesus continually in your life, learn to keep your eyes fixed on His loveliness as you surrender the whole heart to Him, thus giving you a true conversion so you can tell others of the wonderful Savior who left heaven to redeem you!!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2021, 09:45:41 PM »
Amen! What a joy to see the result of the Holy Spirit working upon our minds. Unity of Spirit and of doctrine!

Long afterward, when the disciple had been brought into sympathy with Christ through the fellowship of His sufferings, the Lord revealed to John what is the condition of nearness in His kingdom. "To him that overcometh," Christ said, "will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne." "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, . . . and I will write upon him My new name." Revelation 3:21, 12. So Paul the apostle wrote, "I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day." 2 Timothy 4:6-8.   
     The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity.

Beacon

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2021, 08:06:55 PM »
"To him that overcometh," Christ said, "will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne." "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, Revelation 3:21,12.

"Paul the apostle wrote, "I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day." 2 Timothy 4:6-8.

"The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5).

"Love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity."

"We are called upon day by day to demonstrate the Love to Jesus to those around us,In the Family, In the church, and in the community!  Do " WE" have that same kind of "LOVE" that led Jesus to the cross of Calvary?  Are willing to surrender all to Jesus?

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
I surrender all,I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

God loves to give us freedom! Our highest and joy in the exercise of freedom is in completely surrendering to God’s will!

In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another’s mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. “Every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, “let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.” Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ’s kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity. – {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraph 6}

May we so align with Christ today in heart and life that His will is seen and manifest through us! His perfect love elevates and refines the soul!