Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom  (Read 9680 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--60--The Law of the New Kingdom
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2019, 07:43:15 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon and Pastor Sean. It is the Spirit that not only reveals our fallen nature (evil), but the power of grace to transform the life. It is character that God wants to see in His professing children. He has called us to service, not to rule over others, as it is in the world. The law of God's kingdom is contrary to the world. Authority is so often misused, even in the church.  The love of God for us while we were yet sinners is the love that governs the principles of God's kingdom.  None are to think for another. Let us each go to God for our wisdom, and they obey Him, not man. Let us form characters that will not only fit us for heaven, but will enable us to witness the love of God to a world soon to perish.

"But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2019, 04:58:33 PM »
"To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, "This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another." "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16." 

This comes only by a total surrender to Jesus. To love each other and the willingness to lay down our lives for our brethren is something that is born of heaven. We don't come by it naturally. It's a beautiful thing to mediate upon the life of Christ and know that He has chosen us to be His instruments to show to others His love and compassion for them.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 07:07:18 PM »
"In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions." No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another."In all matters where principle is involved, 

Romans 14:12 says... So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

"In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity."   

God's word says in...  John 13:33-35 "Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

How much happier would be the remnant church of God if with Heavenly Discernment we all would commit to following this counsel. :)
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2019, 07:03:59 AM »
 Amen, Brother Beacon!! The freedom that God gives us in our conscience abiding in Him is infinite!

This really spoke to my heart this morning:

“‘But to sit on My right hand, and on My left,’ He continued, ‘is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father.’ In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ.” – {The Desire of Ages, page 549, paragraph 1}

The last frontier for noble, loving conquest is self.  Thankfully, Jesus already won that battle, culminating at the cross!! As we abide in His victory, we overcome in Him!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »
"Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of My God, . . . and I will write upon him My new name." Revelation 3:21, 12.
     The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5)

Day by day and moment by moment the Holy Spirit is working in our lives to mold us and make us to be like Jesus and prepare us for an eternity with Him. This happens only with our permission, invitation and cooperation. The Holy Spirit is still working in my life, teaching me, correcting me, comforting me, reproving me, changing me.  The important thing is when we do fall and disappoint Jesus that we not remain in that state. It's imperative that we come back into a saving relationship with Jesus. If we are out of God's will more than we are in it we will be so caught up in our own struggles that we will not see beyond them to the needs of others.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 06:36:23 AM »
The true foundation of character is not from us--it is a gift from Jesus: love. Only He can awaken that love in us, and by beholding Him, we receive the principles of His new kingdom. This miraculous change in our hearts from sinful and selfish to selfless and sacrificing is wrought by the agency of the Holy Spirit in all who yield the will unreservedly to Christ!

"Christ was establishing a kingdom on different principles. He called men, not to authority, but to service, the strong to bear the infirmities of the weak. Power, position, talent, education, placed their possessor under the greater obligation to serve his fellows. To even the lowliest of Christ's disciples it is said, 'All things are for your sakes.' 2 Corinthians 4:15." {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraph 3}

May we, in our every interaction with others, reveal the insignia of the kingdom of which our citizenship derives--heaven, and thus be witness in this world that God's character will triumph over rebellion and self-seeking by beholding the love of Christ.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 08:59:23 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean!  I was just discussing this paragraph with my son.  In the Roman Church including the Greek Orthodox Church, the priests are to interpret Scripture, and the people are expected to follow their leaders. Sadly, America which was a Protestant nation is now moving more and more to a system as it was at the time of Christ. The leaders think themselves superior to the common man in all things.

We see this even in our church. Some think themselves wiser than the church when it meets in General Conference Session. They believe they know more about the interpretation of the Bible than the wisdom of the world church. But, this is God's church and it will not yield to the false teachers who know not the spiritual truth revealed in Scripture.

So, how do we deal with false teachers? The strong are to bear with the infirmities of the weak. We do so with love.

In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. "Every one of us shall give account of himself to God." No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity.   

We present the truth as if it is truth, not that it may be wrong. It is the Holy Spirit that brings conviction to the mind. And, yes, Moses loved the people when he came down off the mount. There is a point where action needs to be taken to remove from the church those who refuse to walk in the light.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2020, 05:38:19 PM »
The one who stands nearest to Christ will be he who on earth has drunk most deeply of the spirit of His self-sacrificing love,--love that "vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, . . . seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil" (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5),--love that moves the disciple, as it moved our Lord, to give all, to live and labor and sacrifice, even unto death, for the saving of humanity.

"Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16.

"The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:29-31."

I pray that the words of this song may expresses our sincere desire to be filled with more Holy Spirit Power so that we will be enabled to LOVE as Jesus loves all of us.

=====================

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one foot to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have uttered idle words or vain,
If I have turned aside from want or pain,
Lest I myself shall suffer through the strain,
Dear Lord, forgive!

If I have been perverse or hard, or cold,
If I have longed for shelter in Thy fold,
When Thou hast given me some fort to hold,
Dear Lord, forgive!

Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee;
Forgive the secret sins I do not see;
O guide me, love me and my keeper be,
Dear Lord, Amen.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2020, 01:58:15 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! We need the forgiveness of God for the ways in which we have not manifested His love to those around us. Only the grace of Christ can convert us anew and give us hearts that reflect His loveliness of character. Our part is simple but essential--we are to behold Him and yield completely to Him, that we may be transformed in character.

God's ways are higher than our ways. All that Jesus has given us is for the purpose of ministry to save souls (including how He saves us to the uttermost as we help others overcome). As we learn of Christ and experience the transformation of heart that He alone can truly give us, we will gladly spend and be spent for our Master who alone can imbue us with all of the fruits of the Spirit so not one is missing, leading us joyfully in the path of duty and sacrifice that is our highest pleasure as converted co-laborers in His cause!!

"Christ was establishing a kingdom on different principles. He called men, not to authority, but to service, the strong to bear the infirmities of the weak. Power, position, talent, education, placed their possessor under the greater obligation to serve his fellows. To even the lowliest of Christ's disciples it is said, 'All things are for your sakes.' 2 Corinthians 4:15." {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraph 3}

Let us remember how much Jesus left for us--heaven and all its glory--to come and go to the cross to die as our Sacrifice. As we learn of Him at the foot of the cross, we more clearly see what it means to be like Jesus!

Dorine

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2020, 06:25:52 AM »
The words of Paul reveal the true dignity and honor of the Christian life: "Though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all," "not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved." 1 Corinthians 9:19; 10:33. 

We see this in the life of Jesus. That's where Paul learned this principal and it's where we also live by the same. By beholding our Saviour and never taking our eyes off of Him He is able to do mighty things in us and through us for the benefit of the world. My soul is filled with joy and gratitude again this morning for the beautiful life of Jesus and His love and grace extended to this sin sick planet.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 06:26:32 AM »
Amen sister Doreen, Pastor Sean, and brother Beacon! What a message! We are given more light on what it means to be converted, and the power of grace, God's love to convert selfish humanity.

The mother answered, "Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on Thy right hand, and the other on the left, in Thy kingdom."
     Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify. He said, "Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" They recall His mysterious words, pointing to trial and suffering, yet answer confidently, "We are able." They would count it highest honor to prove their loyalty by sharing all that is to befall their Lord.   
     "Ye shall drink indeed of My cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with," He said; before Him a cross instead of a throne, two malefactors His companions at His right hand and His left. John and James were to share with their Master in suffering; the one, first of the brethren to perish with the sword; the other, longest of all to endure toil, and reproach, and persecution.   
     "But to sit on My right hand, and on My left," He continued, "is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father." In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ. 

We learn that love is the foundation of Christianity and the whole universe. And, that love for God sits at the foundation of our experience as Christians. The disciples wandered in and out of conversion not knowing Jesus had to die to save them. But, they still loved Him deeply. It was when their hearts were wholly surrendered to Him that they were converted. Self was hidden in Christ. But, when they were thinking of what they could gain, they were not wholly surrendered to Christ. We see here that it was not reproof they needed, but unmerited love which Christ was quick to give. Such a God!!!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 06:22:49 AM »
God gives us freedom. Sin, the transgression of the law, is simply bondage to selfishness and Satan. True freedom is entire conformity to His will, and yet how we choose to respond to God's love and be set free from sin by yielding the entire heart to Christ to cleanse and purify is a matter of freedom of conscience. No one is forced to follow Christ, and we are to remember that in all our dealings with others, that we are to reflect the law of the new kingdom, which is self-sacrificing love that seeks the glory of God and the benefit of humanity. When that love is implanted in the soul by the Holy Spirit, all of the fruits of God's character will be manifest in and through the life of the soul! We can rejoice in the freedom Christ offers us today--not freedom that is to be used in the way of sin, but freedom in the way of righteousness! "And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein" (Isaiah 35:8).

"In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. 'Every one of us shall give account of himself to God.' No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, 'let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.' Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity." {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraph 6}

Let us live to bless others this day, even as Jesus did--by ever having Him as an abiding guest in our soul teaching us how to go out and how to come in (see 1 Kings 3:7).

Beacon

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2020, 06:48:58 AM »
"When the ten heard of the request of James and John, they were much displeased. The highest place in the kingdom was just what every one of them was seeking for himself, and they were angry that the two disciples had gained a seeming advantage over them. Again the strife as to which should be greatest seemed about to be renewed, when Jesus, calling them to Him, said to the indignant disciples...

"Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you." Matthew 20:26

"In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ."

It is only by beholding Christ and surrendering to His Love every day that we are changed from selfishness to having " ALL" the fruits of the Spirit, without one missing. Let us all determine to "Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus" every day, for only then will the things of earth grow strangely dim in the light of His Glory & Grace.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2020, 06:58:21 AM »
What means "self conquest"?   Herein is a mystery to many. I thought self was always evil? But, here we see more to the story. What has the righteousness of Christ to do with "self conquest"?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2020, 09:52:41 PM »
The ones who think themselves so right and others so wrong, have the responsibility to bear with the ones who are so wrong.

Christ was establishing a kingdom on different principles. He called men, not to authority, but to service, the strong to bear the infirmities of the weak. Power, position, talent, education, placed their possessor under the greater obligation to serve his fellows. To even the lowliest of Christ's disciples it is said, "All things are for your sakes." 2 Corinthians 4:15.   

Dorine

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2020, 06:05:45 AM »
"Jesus bears tenderly with them, not rebuking their selfishness in seeking preference above their brethren. He reads their hearts, He knows the depth of their attachment to Him. Their love is not a mere human affection; though defiled by the earthliness of its human channel, it is an outflowing from the fountain of His own redeeming love. He will not rebuke, but deepen and purify. He said, "Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" They recall His mysterious words, pointing to trial and suffering, yet answer confidently, "We are able." They would count it highest honor to prove their loyalty by sharing all that is to befall their Lord." 

Because Jesus reads the heart we can trust Him to make the best decisions on our behalf. It also keeps us from judging how He deals with others.

I've been pondering Richards question about 'self-conquest'. Self truly is evil but when Christ is on the throne of the heart His righteousness conquers self and the burden of our hearts will be for the uplifting and strengthening of others. Have I missed your point Richard? or am I close?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2020, 09:10:11 AM »
Yes, you are right, Dorine. The foundation of the issue you have given. My concern goes to the deception, though. The righteousness of Christ is a teaching that leads people away from Christ by saying that it is Christ's righteousness, not ours. That is to say, His righteousness stands in place of ours since our righteousness is as filthy rags. In other words, we cannot have a character like the  character of Christ. When we understand what God is trying to do in His church, we understand that it is our character that stands in the way of the second coming. Until we reflect His character more perfectly, He will not come. So, then why tell the church our character is as filthy rags when we are truly converted and manifesting His character, or the righteousness of Christ.

Some will rebel against this, so there is more. The righteousness of Christ is not only imparted to repentant Christians, it is "imputed" also. Why must it be imputed? What can we do about our past sins, our past character? Nothing. Then we must die for our sins. We need His imputed righteousness to cover past "confessed" and "foresaken" sins. And, what about sins that we do not know are sins when we are truly converted? Those who break the fourth commandment, but are truly converted and ignorant of it, will be in heaven because the righteousness of Christ is "imputed" to them. Sins that take us by surprise are not covered neither are sins that are not pre-meditated. If we are in Christ, then we will not sin known sins. Some will balk at this, especially some conservatives.

They are good at telling liberals that Christ is our example and we must obey as did Jesus. That we are just like Jesus and He is just like us. Then, was Jesus surprised into sin?

Then what means "self conquest"?  Character formation is not done without our will being sanctified by Christ. It will not be sanctified until we spend time with Jesus so we can know Him intimately and trust Him with all we are and all we have. Self must turn to Christ in order to be converted and sanctified. Then self must make the effort to not sin, and Christ will give the power to overcome all temptations to sin He allows to come to us. Our (self) part is immeasurably small, and His part is immeasurably large. Self in the manner it is used is our will to choose what to do. We cannot overcome until we are converted and abiding in Christ, but we can choose to learn of God, and by so doing we will see His grace and be transformed, converted. Self conquest is then our part of overcoming and manifesting the righteousness of Christ, the character of God.

Thank you, Dorine for addressing the subject. Our people need to understand more as to how Satan has worked to deceive if possible even the very elect. They will not be deceived because they are looking unto Jesus. They will not believe what is being taught by me or anyone else until they know it is in harmony with the Bible. John the Baptist did not know Jesus was the Lamb of God that had to suffer and die. He thought Jesus, the Lamb of God was going to sit on an earthly throne. This is how deep the deceptions were in Israel when Jesus came to His own and His own knew Him not. So it is today in His church. It is our responsibility to not only take the gospel of grace to the world, but to the church so it will be prepared to receive those seeking the truth. Right now God is not working mightily to bring many into the church because of the heresies and hypocrisy in the church. Jesus is now pouring clean water upon His people to cleanse from sin and filthiness. Let us keep our eyes upon Jesus that we will not want to sin.
[/quote]

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2020, 05:38:17 AM »
God gives us true freedom of conscience. This is only fully experienced to its utmost capacity in complete surrender to Christ for His will alone to be done--nothing more, nothing less, and nothing else. Let us yield unreservedly to Jesus so He may abide in our hearts and reveal the attributes of His divine nature to all with whom we come in contact both now and for eternity!

"In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions. 'Every one of us shall give account of himself to God.' No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, 'let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.' Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity." {The Desire of Ages, page 550, paragraph 6}    

Let us cooperate with Jesus today in His plan to bless the world with the light of His character. We are free to do God's will as we let the Holy Spirit direct our steps. May this freedom be more deeply appreciated than ever before as Jesus is about to return in power and great glory!

Dorine

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2020, 06:25:42 AM »
"The principles and the very words of the Saviour's teaching, in their divine beauty, dwelt in the memory of the beloved disciple. To his latest days the burden of John's testimony to the churches was, "This is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another." "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:11, 16.

Only through the surrender of self and the power of God can this be realized in our lives. It's easy to love those that are lovable. What about those who are rude, crude, rough around the edges and just plain unlikable. Jesus laid down His life for us while we were His enemies. Are we willing to do the same? As we sit at the feet of Jesus, learning from Him we will grow in love for Him and that love will compel us to reach out to the lost, the lonely, the hurting, and those who are slaves to addictions of every kind. We don't have to actually die to lay down our lives because it takes time and effort to love others.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2020, 06:29:32 AM »
We are daily invited to experience new victories in the Christian life--to walk by faith and not by sight or feeling as we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us to overcome the world, the flesh and the devil by keeping our eyes steadfastly fixed upon Jesus! Then the self-conquest experienced will be like what we see in the life of Christ--a life that revealed the Father's will!

"'But to sit on My right hand, and on My left,' He continued, 'is not Mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of My Father.' In the kingdom of God, position is not gained through favoritism. It is not earned, nor is it received through an arbitrary bestowal. It is the result of character. The crown and the throne are the tokens of a condition attained; they are the tokens of self-conquest through our Lord Jesus Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 549, paragraph 1}

May we allow the Savior to lead us in true humility and growth of character, becoming more like Christ as, through abiding in Him by a living faith surrender, all of the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives without one missing!