Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--59--Priestly Plottings  (Read 19335 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
The Desire of Ages--59--Priestly Plottings
« on: March 19, 2016, 05:35:13 AM »
Chap. 59 - Priestly Plottings

Listen to      Priestly Plottings

Bethany was so near Jerusalem that the news of the raising of Lazarus was soon carried to the city. Through spies who had witnessed the miracle the Jewish rulers were speedily in possession of the facts. A meeting of the Sanhedrin was at once called to decide as to what should be done. Christ had now fully made manifest His control of death and the grave. That mighty miracle was the crowning evidence offered by God to men that He had sent His Son into the world for their salvation. It was a demonstration of divine power sufficient to convince every mind that was under the control of reason and enlightened conscience. Many who witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus were led to believe on Jesus. But the hatred of the priests against Him was intensified. They had rejected all lesser evidence of His divinity, and they were only enraged at this new miracle. The dead had been raised in the full light of day, and before a crowd of witnesses. No artifice could explain away such evidence. For this very reason the enmity of the priests grew deadlier. They were more than ever determined to put a stop to Christ's work. 
     The Sadducees, though not favorable to Christ, had not been so full of malignity toward Him as were the Pharisees. Their hatred had not been so bitter. But they were now thoroughly alarmed. They did not believe in a resurrection of the dead. Producing so-called science, they had reasoned that it would be an impossibility for a dead body to be brought to life. But by a few words from Christ their theory had been overthrown. They were shown to be ignorant both of the Scriptures and of the power of God. They could see no possibility of removing the impression made on the people by the miracle. How could men be turned away from Him who had prevailed to rob the grave of its dead? Lying reports were put in circulation, but the miracle could not be denied, and how to counteract its effect they knew not. Thus far the Sadducees had not encouraged the plan of putting Christ to death. But after the resurrection of Lazarus they decided that only by His death could His fearless denunciations against them be stopped. 
     The Pharisees believed in the resurrection, and they could not but see that this miracle was an evidence that the Messiah was among them. But they had ever opposed Christ's work. From the first they had hated Him because He had exposed their hypocritical pretensions. He had torn aside the cloak of rigorous rites under which their moral deformity was hidden. The pure religion that He taught had condemned their hollow professions of piety. They thirsted to be revenged upon Him for His pointed rebukes. They had tried to provoke Him to say or do something that would give them occasion to condemn Him. Several times they had attempted to stone Him, but He had quietly withdrawn, and they had lost sight of Him.   
     The miracles He performed on the Sabbath were all for the relief of the afflicted, but the Pharisees had sought to condemn Him as a Sabbathbreaker. They had tried to arouse the Herodians against Him. They represented that He was seeking to set up a rival kingdom, and consulted with them how to destroy Him. To excite the Romans against Him, they had represented Him as trying to subvert their authority. They had tried every pretext to cut Him off from influencing the people. But so far their attempts had been foiled. The multitudes who witnessed His works of mercy and heard His pure and holy teachings knew that these were not the deeds and words of a Sabbathbreaker or blasphemer. Even the officers sent by the Pharisees had been so influenced by His words that they could not lay hands on Him. In desperation the Jews had finally passed an edict that any man who professed faith in Jesus should be cast out of the synagogue.   
     So, as the priests, the rulers, and the elders gathered for consultation, it was their fixed determination to silence Him who did such marvelous works that all men wondered. Pharisees and Sadducees were more nearly united than ever before. Divided hitherto, they became one in their opposition to Christ. Nicodemus and Joseph had, in former councils, prevented the condemnation of Jesus, and for this reason they were not now summoned. There were present at the council other influential men who believed on Jesus, but their influence prevailed nothing against that of the malignant Pharisees. 
     Yet the members of the council were not all agreed. The Sanhedrin was not at this time a legal assembly. It existed only by tolerance. Some of its number questioned the wisdom of putting Christ to death. They feared that this would excite an insurrection among the people, causing the Romans to withhold further favors from the priesthood, and to take from them the power they still held. The Sadducees were united in their hatred of Christ, yet they were inclined to be cautious in their movements, fearing that the Romans would deprive them of their high standing.   
     In this council, assembled to plan the death of Christ, the Witness was present who heard the boastful words of Nebuchadnezzar, who witnessed the idolatrous feast of Belshazzar, who was present when Christ in Nazareth announced Himself the Anointed One. This Witness was now impressing the rulers with the work they were doing. Events in the life of Christ rose up before them with a distinctness that alarmed them. They remembered the scene in the temple, when Jesus, then a child of twelve, stood before the learned doctors of the law, asking them questions at which they wondered. The miracle just performed bore witness that Jesus was none other than the Son of God. In their true significance, the Old Testament Scriptures regarding Christ flashed before their minds. Perplexed and troubled, the rulers asked, "What do we?" There was a division in the council. Under the impression of the Holy Spirit, the priests and rulers could not banish the conviction that they were fighting against God.   
     While the council was at the height of its perplexity, Caiaphas the high priest arose. Caiaphas was a proud and cruel man, overbearing and intolerant. Among his family connections were Sadducees, proud, bold, reckless, full of ambition and cruelty, which they hid under a cloak of pretended righteousness. Caiaphas had studied the prophecies, and although ignorant of their true meaning, he spoke with great authority and assurance: "Ye know nothing at all, nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not." Even if Jesus were innocent, urged the high priest, He must be put out of the way. He was troublesome, drawing the people to Himself, and lessening the authority of the rulers. He was only one; it was better that He should die than that the authority of the rulers should be weakened. If the people were to lose confidence in their rulers, the national power would be destroyed. Caiaphas urged that after this miracle the followers of Jesus would likely rise in revolt. The Romans will then come, he said, and will close our temple, and abolish our laws, destroying us as a nation. What is the life of this Galilean worth in comparison with the life of the nation? If He stands in the way of Israel's well-being, is it not doing God a service to remove Him? Better that one man perish than that the whole nation be destroyed.   
     In declaring that one man should die for the nation, Caiaphas indicated that he had some knowledge of the prophecies, although it was very limited. But John, in his account of this scene, takes up the prophecy, and shows its broad and deep significance. He says, "And not for that nation only, but that also He should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad." How blindly did the haughty Caiaphas acknowledge the Saviour's mission!   
     On the lips of Caiaphas this most precious truth was turned into a lie. The policy he advocated was based on a principle borrowed from heathenism. Among the heathen, the dim consciousness that one was to die for the human race had led to the offering of human sacrifices. So Caiaphas proposed by the sacrifice of Jesus to save the guilty nation, not from transgression, but in transgression, that they might continue in sin. And by his reasoning he thought to silence the remonstrances of those who might dare to say that as yet nothing worthy of death had been found in Jesus.   
     At this council Christ's enemies had been deeply convicted. The Holy Spirit had impressed their minds. But Satan strove to gain control of them. He urged upon their notice the grievances they had suffered on account of Christ. How little He had honored their righteousness. He presented a righteousness far greater, which all who would be children of God must possess. Taking no notice of their forms and ceremonies, He had encouraged sinners to go directly to God as a merciful Father, and make known their wants. Thus, in their opinion, He had set aside the priesthood. He had refused to acknowledge the theology of the rabbinical schools. He had exposed the evil practices of the priests, and had irreparably hurt their influence. He had injured the effect of their maxims and traditions, declaring that though they strictly enforced the ritual law, they made void the law of God. All this Satan now brought to their minds.   
     Satan told them that in order to maintain their authority, they must put Jesus to death. This counsel they followed. The fact that they might lose the power they then exercised, was, they thought, sufficient reason for coming to some decision. With the exception of a few who dared not speak their minds, the Sanhedrin received the words of Caiaphas as the words of God. Relief came to the council; the discord ceased. They resolved to put Christ to death at the first favorable opportunity. In rejecting the proof of the divinity of Jesus, these priests and rulers had locked themselves in impenetrable darkness. They had come wholly under the sway of Satan, to be hurried by him over the brink of eternal ruin. Yet such was their deception that they were well pleased with themselves. They regarded themselves as patriots, who were seeking the nation's salvation. 
     The Sanhedrin feared, however, to take rash measures against Jesus, lest the people should become incensed, and the violence meditated toward Him should fall upon themselves. On this account the council delayed to execute the sentence they had pronounced. The Saviour understood the plotting of the priests. He knew that they longed to remove Him, and that their purpose would soon be accomplished. But it was not His place to hasten the crisis, and He withdrew from that region, taking the disciples with Him. Thus by His own example Jesus again enforced the instruction He had given to the disciples, "When they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another." Matthew 10:23. There was a wide field in which to work for the salvation of souls; and unless loyalty to Him required it, the Lord's servants were not to imperil their lives.   
     Jesus had now given three years of public labor to the world. His example of self-denial and disinterested benevolence was before them. His life of purity, of suffering and devotion, was known to all. Yet this short period of three years was as long as the world could endure the presence of its Redeemer.   
     His life had been one of persecution and insult. Driven from Bethlehem by a jealous king, rejected by His own people at Nazareth, condemned to death without a cause at Jerusalem, Jesus, with His few faithful followers, found a temporary asylum in a strange city. He who was ever touched by human woe, who healed the sick, restored sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and speech to the dumb, who fed the hungry and comforted the sorrowful, was driven from the people He had labored to save. He who walked upon the heaving billows, and by a word silenced their angry roaring, who cast out devils that in departing acknowledged Him to be the Son of God, who broke the slumbers of the dead, who held thousands entranced by His words of wisdom, was unable to reach the hearts of those who were blinded by prejudice and hatred, and who stubbornly rejected the light. 
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
Re: The Desire of Ages--59--Priestly Plottings
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
The Sanhedrin feared, however, to take rash measures against Jesus, lest the people should become incensed, and the violence meditated toward Him should fall upon themselves. On this account the council delayed to execute the sentence they had pronounced. The Saviour understood the plotting of the priests. He knew that they longed to remove Him, and that their purpose would soon be accomplished. But it was not His place to hasten the crisis, and He withdrew from that region, taking the disciples with Him. Thus by His own example Jesus again enforced the instruction He had given to the disciples, "When they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another." Matthew 10:23. There was a wide field in which to work for the salvation of souls; and unless loyalty to Him required it, the Lord's servants were not to imperil their lives.

This counsel caused me to be a little less "judgmental" when people back down from pressure. I remember when I first read this. I thought to myself why didn't I see this simply from reading my Bible.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 05:14:34 PM »

I think this kind of goes along with casting your pearls before swine. While we may have to leave a city with wheat there, the swine may cause one to seek a better field to sow in. While we want to reach everyone, to be tossed into solitary confinement or killed is not a program that will lend itself to spreading the gospel.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »
While we want to reach everyone, to be tossed into solitary confinement or killed is not a program that will lend itself to spreading the gospel.

This is true Cp. I'm not sure if this apples to apples or not without thinking it through more but this reminds me of Paul's ministry ending early because of his poor choices.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »
Paul did more than yielding to pressure, more than not seeking God's will in the matter of participating in the purification rites. He did that which he had taught against in order to please the apostles who had asked this of him because of cowardice. They feared the Jews would persecute them when Paul came into Jerusalem since he had been preaching against their sacrificial rites. He undid what he had been teaching by yielding to the apostles request.

We need to be very careful when judging the actions of others. We do not know their hearts. It may be that their motives are good even though their action is wrong. Going to church on Sunday because one's faith believes God wants that. Paul doing the purification rights to help his relationship with the apostles. We are told his motives. But, he did not take it to God before doing it. When I was in Romania just after their revolution, I had come to the conclusion I would eat dairy rather than cause some of the poor to give up dairy when they had nothing else to substitute. Some would have judged my heart, not knowing I believed I was following counsel I considered important. As it was, I did not have to, but I refused to answer questions about my diet because I knew there were many who would suffer if I answered the question about what I eat. Today, the country has improved its financial condition and many are no longer dependent on their cows and chickens for nutrition as they were when they first came out from under Communism.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
Chap. 59 - Priestly Plottings

On the lips of Caiaphas this most precious truth was turned into a lie. The policy he advocated was based on a principle borrowed from heathenism. Among the heathen, the dim consciousness that one was to die for the human race had led to the offering of human sacrifices. So Caiaphas proposed by the sacrifice of Jesus to save the guilty nation, not from transgression, but in transgression, that they might continue in sin. And by his reasoning he thought to silence the remonstrances of those who might dare to say that as yet nothing worthy of death had been found in Jesus.   

This is off topic but the practice of human sacrifices has never been entirely dropped even in America. I have a family member that was informed through fellow co workers that they stumbled upon this happening near Lamoni, IA. While they were out inspecting property they heard chanting in a house. They quietly crept up and peeped though a window and were blown away to see that a child or children were being ritualistically sacrificed to the devil. They were terrified and ran away as fast as possible and called the police. Nothing more was ever heard about this. No media. This was about 5 years after the account reported in the following link. It was known by government workers that animals sacrifices were done in the area as carcasses of ritualistically sacrificed animals were found. Some have said that  it has been known that many in this town were/are Satan worshippers. I have to think that the fact that this was snuffed with no media is because some very prominent people were involved. No doubt high end Masons and maybe Mormons. Lamoni is a Mormon college town. I know this because for years the Iowa/Missouri conference SDA, rented this college to hold campmeetings there. At the end of every campmeeting a gift was given to Mormon priest "Tex" who operated cameras for our campmeeting. Mormons believe in blood atonement.

I googled " human sacrifices Lamoni Iowa" and while not coming up with exactly that , I did find a very interesting link.   http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/18/us/18family.html?_r=0
Sexually abused children were said to have observed murders.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 05:21:58 AM »
That mighty miracle was the crowning evidence offered by God to men that He had sent His Son into the world for their salvation. It was a demonstration of divine power sufficient to convince every mind that was under the control of reason and enlightened conscience. Many who witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus were led to believe on Jesus. But the hatred of the priests against Him was intensified. They had rejected all lesser evidence of His divinity, and they were only enraged at this new miracle. The dead had been raised in the full light of day, and before a crowd of witnesses. No artifice could explain away such evidence. For this very reason the enmity of the priests grew deadlier. They were more than ever determined to put a stop to Christ's work.

Christ said that though one rise from the grave it would not change their mind and here we have the evidence of the truth of His statement. It was the crowning act yet it did no good for the priests. Why? Unbelief! The worst of all sins. It blinds and dulls our senses. How often I've prayed "...Lord I believe, help my unbelief!!" 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 05:37:13 AM »
Amen, Jim. I pray that prayer every day. And, I add, "Lord, take my heart for I cannot give it."  When we understand who we are apart from Christ, we will better understand our need to be converted daily and to maintain that connection with Christ moment by moment.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Keithstrong

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 05:52:22 AM »
What unbelief are you talking about? in my experience i have  noticed that people who do not see....God allows them to be blind because they don't want to see? not because of unbelief... please explain 
"Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins"

Keithstrong

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 06:10:33 AM »
I hope that didn't sound argumentative? this is an honest question i have because i cant understand why some people i know who have heard a lot of our message dont want to hear because it requires" change"
"Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and show My people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins"

colporteur

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 07:48:33 AM »

I agree , Kieth. People in the last days will be deceived because they want to be deceived; because they want to believe a lie. I believe that there are indicators that will often tend to tell us if someone is innocently deceived at this point or not. Even someone who has been purposely rejecting light may still come around. Therefore we continue to work with those who will listen.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
As concerns unbelief, Keith, those who want to overcome the unbelief respond to the Holy Spirit and desire deliverance. But unbelief that is cherished tends to lessen one's desire or relish for truth--to the point that someone will com to reject the greatest manifestation of light.

I appreciate this chapter as it shows us the great controversy so clearly!

His life had been one of persecution and insult. Driven from Bethlehem by a jealous king, rejected by His own people at Nazareth, condemned to death without a cause at Jerusalem, Jesus, with His few faithful followers, found a temporary asylum in a strange city. He who was ever touched by human woe, who healed the sick, restored sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and speech to the dumb, who fed the hungry and comforted the sorrowful, was driven from the people He had labored to save. He who walked upon the heaving billows, and by a word silenced their angry roaring, who cast out devils that in departing acknowledged Him to be the Son of God, who broke the slumbers of the dead, who held thousands entranced by His words of wisdom, was unable to reach the hearts of those who were blinded by prejudice and hatred, and who stubbornly rejected the light. – {DA 541.4}

It is towards the close of Christ's life that this controversy becomes even more marked. Yet none of this came as a surprise to the Father who gave Christ each day of His ministry. May we humbly allow our hearts to be tender and teachable, that whatever the plots of Satan, we may abide in Christ in perfect trust.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »
What unbelief are you talking about? in my experience i have  noticed that people who do not see....God allows them to be blind because they don't want to see? not because of unbelief... please explain

Hi Keith, your question didn't seem argumentative to me. It seemed like an honest question that deserves at least an attempt at an answer. As you have observed just knowing truth doesn't change anyone. Many people know that smoking causes cancer but yet they keep smoking. Maybe not the perfect analogy but you understand. Yes, God allows them to be blind. God allows a lot of things. The people you describe sound like a people that Christ once addressed.

Joh 5:40-47
(40)  And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
(41)  I receive not honour from men.
(42)  But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.
(43)  I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
(44)  How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
(45)  Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
(46)  For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
(47)  But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

It has everything to do with belief. It's impossible to be saved without belief. All sin comes from unbelief.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 05:57:41 AM »
In rejecting the proof of the divinity of Jesus, these priests and rulers had locked themselves in impenetrable darkness. They had come wholly under the sway of Satan, to be hurried by him over the brink of eternal ruin. Yet such was their deception that they were well pleased with themselves. They regarded themselves as patriots, who were seeking the nation's salvation. 

I must admit this chapter along with the chapter on Judas is hard for me to read. However, I understand that it must be as the Bible sets these things before our eyes. Sometimes we must look at examples of things we shouldn't follow so we can see where that path would finally leave one if they did the same. 

The priests and rulers locked themselves into impenetrable darkness :(   So very very sad. Yet in this they didn't get here to this state of unbelief in an instant. It had been steps of rejecting His proofs and waves of mercy over the last three years. These smaller steps is what lead, I believe, to finally rejecting this proof of divinity of Christ. After seeing all that they've seen yet they still clung to their greed for power and influence and especially their pride.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »
Yes, Jim, it is hard to see humanity, especially those chosen by God to reveal Him, reject the truth and put to death the One sent to save them. Humans made in the image of God so deceived that they turn on the Son of God as if they were doing God a favor. What I find so difficult is with this lesson before us, God's chosen people today could repeat this great sin, crucifying Christ afresh. The third person of the godhead is attempting to awaken a sleeping church just as read Jesus was trying to do in His day.

We are thankful the end result will be much different. There will be revival and reformation in our day. But, as it was with Israel of old, so it is today. Many who occupy positions of leadership in God's church are just a set in their rebellion against God as were the priests who plotted the death of Christ. The great deception on what it means to be "righteous" and to have eternal life is in our church as it had been foisted upon Israel.

At this council Christ's enemies had been deeply convicted. The Holy Spirit had impressed their minds. But Satan strove to gain control of them. He urged upon their notice the grievances they had suffered on account of Christ. How little He had honored their righteousness. He presented a righteousness far greater, which all who would be children of God must possess. Taking no notice of their forms and ceremonies, He had encouraged sinners to go directly to God as a merciful Father, and make known their wants. Thus, in their opinion, He had set aside the priesthood. He had refused to acknowledge the theology of the rabbinical schools. He had exposed the evil practices of the priests, and had irreparably hurt their influence. He had injured the effect of their maxims and traditions, declaring that though they strictly enforced the ritual law, they made void the law of God. All this Satan now brought to their minds.   
     Satan told them that in order to maintain their authority, they must put Jesus to death. This counsel they followed. The fact that they might lose the power they then exercised, was, they thought, sufficient reason for coming to some decision. With the exception of a few who dared not speak their minds, the Sanhedrin received the words of Caiaphas as the words of God.

Such deceptions! How could it be repeated today? We see what Satan has done in other false religions. How ISIS in the name of God murders, rapes, and pillages. We see how the beast in the name of Christ is set to repeat her base crimes. But, how can it be that Satan has a foothold in God's last church? Amazing! How dull are the minds of men.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 07:34:36 PM »
May we today yield to God's Spirit, and learn the precious lesson from today's reading:

In this council, assembled to plan the death of Christ, the Witness was present who heard the boastful words of Nebuchadnezzar, who witnessed the idolatrous feast of Belshazzar, who was present when Christ in Nazareth announced Himself the Anointed One. This Witness was now impressing the rulers with the work they were doing. Events in the life of Christ rose up before them with a distinctness that alarmed them. They remembered the scene in the temple, when Jesus, then a child of twelve, stood before the learned doctors of the law, asking them questions at which they wondered. The miracle just performed bore witness that Jesus was none other than the Son of God. In their true significance, the Old Testament Scriptures regarding Christ flashed before their minds. Perplexed and troubled, the rulers asked, "What do we?" There was a division in the council. Under the impression of the Holy Spirit, the priests and rulers could not banish the conviction that they were fighting against God.   
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »

Keith, I have been thinking about your question and this topic off and on now for a while and I'm not sure that I did a good job at explaining what I meant.  Here are some thoughts from two sources that I trust. Unbelief is the root of of all sin. True belief in Christ as your Savior gives you Christ's strength to overcome. Some believe that they have true belief when they don't.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

What kind of faith is that? Is it to believe simply, or is it a faith of admission? There are many here who have that kind of faith. You believe that Jesus was the Son of God; but do you have a personal faith in regard to your own salvation? Do you believe that Jesus is your Saviour? that He died on Calvary's cross to redeem you? that He has offered you the gift of everlasting life if you believe on Him?  {FW 70.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 07:55:38 AM »
As I read our chapter today, I was blessed to see the loveliness of Jesus shining through amidst the confusion and conflict of the plotting of those who were not under the control of the Holy Spirit. We will often have to meet people who are not moved by God's Spirit, and how we respond to them, and how we treat them, will reveal whether we are depending upon God or relying upon the flesh in all we do.

The Pharisees believed in the resurrection, and they could not but see that this miracle was an evidence that the Messiah was among them. But they had ever opposed Christ's work. From the first they had hated Him because He had exposed their hypocritical pretensions. He had torn aside the cloak of rigorous rites under which their moral deformity was hidden. The pure religion that He taught had condemned their hollow professions of piety. They thirsted to be revenged upon Him for His pointed rebukes. They had tried to provoke Him to say or do something that would give them occasion to condemn Him. Several times they had attempted to stone Him, but He had quietly withdrawn, and they had lost sight of Him.   

Christ was not being unloving to these leaders, but was allowing them to see their need. Jesus was pure, and we learn what "pure religion" is in James 1:27: "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

Such is the religion that comes from Christ. Only the religion that comes from God will lead to God. All who will acknowledge their need and come to Christ for help will find healing for the soul, but those who are irritated by the application of the truth to their own lives because it requires repentance are choosing to harden their hearts in blindness. Let us pray continually that we will cling to Jesus and let Him give us His righteousness! He is willing and able to supply the soul's need!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Christ loves us, and is waiting for us to love him with the whole heart. It is amazing, is it not, that Satan can blind the mind of so many.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 03:35:00 AM »
Amen, Richard! The statement you quoted spoke about fighting against God. How is it possible to do this? When we neglect the pleading voice of the Holy Spirit, or when we do what the Lord has expressly forbidden, and commit a known sin, we are fighting against God--the only one who can set us free from sin and the misery to which our own choices will lead us. We need Jesus continually.

We pray that those who are in a similar spiritual condition as that described here will realize their great need, and come to Christ, that they may have life.

Satan told them that in order to maintain their authority, they must put Jesus to death. This counsel they followed. The fact that they might lose the power they then exercised, was, they thought, sufficient reason for coming to some decision. With the exception of a few who dared not speak their minds, the Sanhedrin received the words of Caiaphas as the words of God. Relief came to the council; the discord ceased. They resolved to put Christ to death at the first favorable opportunity. In rejecting the proof of the divinity of Jesus, these priests and rulers had locked themselves in impenetrable darkness. They had come wholly under the sway of Satan, to be hurried by him over the brink of eternal ruin. Yet such was their deception that they were well pleased with themselves. They regarded themselves as patriots, who were seeking the nation's salvation. 

There are many in a Laodicean condition who are "well pleased with themselves" because they feel that they are rich, increased with goods, and have need of nothing. May we choose to spend this precious "thoughtful hour" {DA 83.4} with Jesus, whatever the sacrifice, that we may see our continual need of Christ to do any good thing. We are either under the control of Satan or Christ. There is no middle ground. I choose Jesus--by beholding His loveliness, He has promised to change me--and you, if you will but behold Him--to be ever more like Him (2 Corinthians 3:18)!! Hallelujah!!