Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--59--Priestly Plottings  (Read 12182 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--59--Priestly Plottings
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:04 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine.  And, things have not changed. The world hates the truth, thus they hate Jesus. He reveals their hypocrisy and they want to put Him away. The priests and rulers hated Jesus and wanted to kill Him at their first opportunity. Jesus came to His own and His own knew Him not. Why? Because the leaders had perverted the gospel truth.

The Pharisees believed in the resurrection, and they could not but see that this miracle was an evidence that the Messiah was among them. But they had ever opposed Christ's work. From the first they had hated Him because He had exposed their hypocritical pretensions. He had torn aside the cloak of rigorous rites under which their moral deformity was hidden. The pure religion that He taught had condemned their hollow professions of piety. They thirsted to be revenged upon Him for His pointed rebukes. They had tried to provoke Him to say or do something that would give them occasion to condemn Him. Several times they had attempted to stone Him, but He had quietly withdrawn, and they had lost sight of Him.   

Three years was as long as humanity could bear with Jesus. Even though He healed the sick, revealed the love of God, and raised the dead, they put Him to death.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 07:14:47 AM »
Fighting against God? Going against the conviction of the Holy Spirit? That is hard work! While we may try to quiet a troubled conscience by listening to others who give us counsel contrary to Scripture, our only safety is in complete surrender to Christ. Saul was fighting against the Holy Spirit when the Jews tried to convince him that Stephen was a blasphemer, and that same spirit was what led the Jews to put Jesus to death. But if we will yield, conversion will come to our souls; we will behold the loveliness of the character of the One who instead of destroying us, is seeking to do all He can to save us. Saul was confronted by Christ on the road to Damascus, and he would become the apostle Paul! But by resistance we choose our own destruction; let us behold Christ and be changed! The scenes of Jesus' life are so compelling and convicting, and by looking upon Him, we see a love that is infinite.

"In this council, assembled to plan the death of Christ, the Witness was present who heard the boastful words of Nebuchadnezzar, who witnessed the idolatrous feast of Belshazzar, who was present when Christ in Nazareth announced Himself the Anointed One. This Witness was now impressing the rulers with the work they were doing. Events in the life of Christ rose up before them with a distinctness that alarmed them. They remembered the scene in the temple, when Jesus, then a child of twelve, stood before the learned doctors of the law, asking them questions at which they wondered. The miracle just performed bore witness that Jesus was none other than the Son of God. In their true significance, the Old Testament Scriptures regarding Christ flashed before their minds. Perplexed and troubled, the rulers asked, 'What do we?' There was a division in the council. Under the impression of the Holy Spirit, the priests and rulers could not banish the conviction that they were fighting against God." {The Desire of Ages, page 539, paragraph 2}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »
"......Christ had now fully made manifest His control of death and the grave. That mighty miracle was the crowning evidence offered by God to men that He had sent His Son into the world for their salvation. It was a demonstration of divine power sufficient to convince every mind that was under the control of reason and enlightened conscience. Many who witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus were led to believe on Jesus. But the hatred of the priests against Him was intensified. They had rejected all lesser evidence of His divinity, and they were only enraged at this new miracle. The dead had been raised in the full light of day, and before a crowd of witnesses. No artifice could explain away such evidence. For this very reason the enmity of the priests grew deadlier. They were more than ever determined to put a stop to Christ's work." 

How vital it is to be in an attitude of submission to Christ at all times. A life lived apart from Christ will bring some level of rebellion into our motives. We may say all the right things and we may even fool others but if it is not coming from a surrendered heart it is worthless. We are witnessing the work of rebellion today and it is getting bolder and louder. May our hearts be open to the work of the Holy Spirit that no form of rebellion will be found in us. Instead, there will be found the fruits of the Spirit, reflecting the character of God.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Beacon

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 09:44:25 AM »
"Bethany was so near Jerusalem that the news of the raising of Lazarus was soon carried to the city. Through spies who had witnessed the miracle the Jewish rulers were speedily in possession of the facts. A meeting of the Sanhedrin was at once called to decide as to what should be done. Christ had now fully made manifest His control of death and the grave. That mighty miracle was the crowning evidence offered by God to men that He had sent His Son into the world for their salvation. It was a demonstration of divine power sufficient to convince every mind that was under the control of reason and enlightened conscience. Many who witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus were led to believe on Jesus. But the hatred of the priests against Him was intensified. They had rejected all lesser evidence of His divinity, and they were only enraged at this new miracle. The dead had been raised in the full light of day, and before a crowd of witnesses. No artifice could explain away such evidence. For this very reason the enmity of the priests grew deadlier. They were more than ever determined to put a stop to Christ's work."

When we hear the voice of the Holy Spirit saying to us..." This is the way - walk ye it in " and time after time we stubbornly refuse then it becomes easier and easier to reject the light and love flowing from Calvary.

"The Sadducees, though not favorable to Christ, had not been so full of malignity toward Him as were the Pharisees. Their hatred had not been so bitter. But they were now thoroughly alarmed. They did not believe in a resurrection of the dead. Producing so-called science, they had reasoned that it would be an impossibility for a dead body to be brought to life. But by a few words from Christ their theory had been overthrown. They were shown to be ignorant both of the Scriptures and of the power of God. They could see no possibility of removing the impression made on the people by the miracle. How could men be turned away from Him who had prevailed to rob the grave of its dead? Lying reports were put in circulation, but the miracle could not be denied, and how to counteract its effect they knew not. Thus far the Sadducees had not encouraged the plan of putting Christ to death. But after the resurrection of Lazarus they decided that only by His death could His fearless denunciations against them be stopped. "

Day by day the Holy Spirit attempts to speak to us drawing us closer and closer to Jesus. But we all have free choice.  Each time we choose not to listen we reinforce the principle that self is more important the listening to the pleading of our Savior!!  Our hearts become harder and harder like the Pharisees and Sadducees who refused to change. The same principle applies to us today

A long, long time ago Elijah stood on Mt. Carmel and said... "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 King James Version (KJV)[
/b]

That is my prayer today for you and also for myself...that we will choose to serve the Lord.

Look up and listen for the shout.

Marelis

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2019, 02:26:25 AM »
Today if we hear His voice. There can be no postponement.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Beacon

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »
"Jesus had now given three years of public labor to the world. His example of self-denial and disinterested benevolence was before them. His life of purity, of suffering and devotion, was known to all. Yet this short period of three years was as long as the world could endure the presence of its Redeemer. "

We can only begin to imagine what life was like for our Savior in the events leading up to His death on the cross....Even in the Garden of Gethsemane when He yearned for human understanding and encouragement He found His own disciples asleep when they should have been praying with and for Him. How heart breaking this must have been. Question: If Jesus should come today...would He find us praying or sleeping?

"His life had been one of persecution and insult. Driven from Bethlehem by a jealous king, rejected by His own people at Nazareth, condemned to death without a cause at Jerusalem, Jesus, with His few faithful followers, found a temporary asylum in a strange city. He who was ever touched by human woe, who healed the sick, restored sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and speech to the dumb, who fed the hungry and comforted the sorrowful, was driven from the people He had labored to save. He who walked upon the heaving billows, and by a word silenced their angry roaring, who cast out devils that in departing acknowledged Him to be the Son of God, who broke the slumbers of the dead, who held thousands entranced by His words of wisdom, was unable to reach the hearts of those who were blinded by prejudice and hatred, and who stubbornly rejected the light. "

In Revelation 3:20 Jesus says to us today "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." Will He find us sleeping or will we hear His invitation and open the door to everlasting life?

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 07:45:00 AM »
Amen, Beacon!

As we open the heart to Jesus, we can close the door to the lies and temptations of Satan. But if we allow doubt and unbelief to take possession of our hearts, as did the priests and rulers in plotting the death of Christ, we will inevitably depart from God's will for our lives. Let us realize how much we need a moment-by-moment surrender to Christ!

"Satan told them that in order to maintain their authority, they must put Jesus to death. This counsel they followed. The fact that they might lose the power they then exercised, was, they thought, sufficient reason for coming to some decision. With the exception of a few who dared not speak their minds, the Sanhedrin received the words of Caiaphas as the words of God. Relief came to the council; the discord ceased. They resolved to put Christ to death at the first favorable opportunity. In rejecting the proof of the divinity of Jesus, these priests and rulers had locked themselves in impenetrable darkness. They had come wholly under the sway of Satan, to be hurried by him over the brink of eternal ruin. Yet such was their deception that they were well pleased with themselves. They regarded themselves as patriots, who were seeking the nation's salvation." {The Desire of Ages, page 541, paragraph 1}

A similar situation will emerge in the last days as those who reject the light of the truth of Christ's righteousness as manifest in the keeping of all of the ten commandments will propose to put to death those who keep holy the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath of the Lord. Regarding themselves as patriots of the nation's "safety" in a time when natural disasters will be on the rise (as if those disregarding Sunday are the cause of the calamities), the devil will so deceive souls as to cause them to think they are doing God service in seeking to persecute and put the true, loyal followers of Christ to death. Jesus forewarned of this: "They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me" (John 16:2-3). Let us abide in Christ no matter the trial, and remember the way Jesus has walked for us, the crowning sacrifice He made for us, that we may find strength in time of need.
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean.   Sin is a horrible thing. Fallen human nature is horrible. But, God's grace is more powerful than sin and sinners. All things worked for good then, and it will remain the same today.

There are some cast out of the church today, but generally those who are truly converted are not. I am speaking of God's church. There will be revival and reformation, but we ought not expect those who are not converted and in leadership positions will manifest Christian character towards those who love Jesus supremely. The power church leaders have will be used for Satan's purposes if the person is not following Christ. There is no middle ground. We either serve Christ or we serve Satan. Jesus cannot reach those who refuse to love Him with the whole heart.

His life had been one of persecution and insult. Driven from Bethlehem by a jealous king, rejected by His own people at Nazareth, condemned to death without a cause at Jerusalem, Jesus, with His few faithful followers, found a temporary asylum in a strange city. He who was ever touched by human woe, who healed the sick, restored sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and speech to the dumb, who fed the hungry and comforted the sorrowful, was driven from the people He had labored to save. He who walked upon the heaving billows, and by a word silenced their angry roaring, who cast out devils that in departing acknowledged Him to be the Son of God, who broke the slumbers of the dead, who held thousands entranced by His words of wisdom, was unable to reach the hearts of those who were blinded by prejudice and hatred, and who stubbornly rejected the light. 

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Beacon

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »
"The Sanhedrin feared, however, to take rash measures against Jesus, lest the people should become incensed, and the violence meditated toward Him should fall upon themselves. On this account the council delayed to execute the sentence they had pronounced. The Saviour understood the plotting of the priests. He knew that they longed to remove Him, and that their purpose would soon be accomplished. But it was not His place to hasten the crisis, and He withdrew from that region, taking the disciples with Him. Thus by His own example Jesus again enforced the instruction He had given to the disciples, "When they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another." Matthew 10:23. There was a wide field in which to work for the salvation of souls; and unless loyalty to Him required it, the Lord's servants were not to imperil their lives."

Matthew 10:16 says..." Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." We must pray for the daily infilling of the Wisdom which God promises to give to us as His Ambassadors. We should never think it an honor to unnecessarily bring persecution upon ourselves.

I.E.( An Earthly Illustration ) I remember not too long ago when I made a U-Turn in a town where I wasn't familiar with the roads. A police officer saw me do this and pulled me over. I spoke quietly and calmly with him and explained that I wasn't from this town and was unfamiliar with where I needed to turn and that although the road had a double line I choose to make the u-turn at that moment so as to not be a danger to other on coming traffic which would have been true seconds later. So he said..."you admit that you made a u-turn on a double line? To which I replied " Yes " ...but only to prevent a dangerous situation from developing. He took my license and went back to his police car. When he returned he smiled and said...Well because you have a class #1 license with no prior record and because you were honest and spoke politely with me I have chosen not to give you a ticket, have a good day. At that point I thanked him for being so understanding. He smiled and said...Your Welcome. It reminded me of what it says in Proverbs 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." I believe this is Godly Council for ALL situations both Earthly and Heavenly.

Dorine

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2019, 06:22:46 AM »
......"Many who witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus were led to believe on Jesus. But the hatred of the priests against Him was intensified. They had rejected all lesser evidence of His divinity, and they were only enraged at this new miracle. The dead had been raised in the full light of day, and before a crowd of witnesses. No artifice could explain away such evidence. For this very reason the enmity of the priests grew deadlier. They were more than ever determined to put a stop to Christ's work."

If we are not daily surrendered to Christ we have reason to be 'terrified' because we will be under an influence such as we see in this chapter. No human being is a match for the devil. We become his puppet. He is a master at convincing us that we are in charge of what we think and do and that all is as it should be. Whoever we spend time with, is who we will be like. Christ longs to reign in our hearts so that the temptations of Satan will not overcome us. While the majority hated Jesus and wanted to see Him destroyed I'm uplifted by the accounts of those that knew who He really was and would not bow to the pressure of the masses or those in authority. As we start each day with Jesus we are spiritually convicted and strengthened to abide in His presence throughout the whole day. As long as we do that He will put a hedge about us to protect us from falling under Satan's temptations.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Sister Dorine!

As we realize the height of character available to us in Christ, we will go to Him to have that renewing of our hearts so we become wiling to be anything or nothing as His providence shall indicate. We need the righteousness of Christ and that alone can keep us in the time of overmastering temptation.

When the Jews were plotting Christ's death, they did not yield to the Holy Spirit. He was unfolding truth, but they did not want to listen. May we learn from this and accept whatever the Holy Spirit reveals to us from the word of God!

"At this council Christ's enemies had been deeply convicted. The Holy Spirit had impressed their minds. But Satan strove to gain control of them. He urged upon their notice the grievances they had suffered on account of Christ. How little He had honored their righteousness. He presented a righteousness far greater, which all who would be children of God must possess. Taking no notice of their forms and ceremonies, He had encouraged sinners to go directly to God as a merciful Father, and make known their wants. Thus, in their opinion, He had set aside the priesthood. He had refused to acknowledge the theology of the rabbinical schools. He had exposed the evil practices of the priests, and had irreparably hurt their influence. He had injured the effect of their maxims and traditions, declaring that though they strictly enforced the ritual law, they made void the law of God. All this Satan now brought to their minds." {The Desire of Ages, page 540, paragraph 3}

When Satan seeks to turn our eyes away from the convicting and transforming work of the Holy Spirt, we would do well to remember the way God has led in our past--and the importance of taking heed to truth. We will either triumph with the truth, or the truth will triumph without us. In love, Jesus waits for us to come to Him as He draws us with His love. What a patient God we serve! Some of these very priests who initially resisted light--even to the point of plotting Jesus' death--may well have been part of the number described in these words: "And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith" (Acts 6:7). Still, the greatest time to respond to Christ is as soon as He convicts us of His truth!   

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »
"He who was ever touched by human woe, who healed the sick, restored sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and speech to the dumb, who fed the hungry and comforted the sorrowful, was driven from the people He had labored to save. He who walked upon the heaving billows, and by a word silenced their angry roaring, who cast out devils that in departing acknowledged Him to be the Son of God, who broke the slumbers of the dead, who held thousands entranced by His words of wisdom, was unable to reach the hearts of those who were blinded by prejudice and hatred, and who stubbornly rejected the light."

It is difficult to imagine how much sorrow Jesus experienced in His earthly journey. Let us pray that we who claim to be His redeemed children are not stubbornly holding on to things in our own lives which would cause Him more grief.  We have a tendency to look at "others" and judge them when we should be looking inward and examining ourselves to see if we " be of the faith

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2019, 07:01:30 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Let us keep our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith! As He reproduces His character in us, the end will come very rapidly, as Jesus' character was only tolerated in His ministry for a few short years, and He fulfilled His earthly mission. May we be faithful in Christ to fulfill our appointed part in His great plan, for Jesus is so soon to come, and persecution will precede His coming in glory--but we need not fear, for we have Christ to lead us each step by the Holy Spirit as we are fully surrendered to Him!

"Jesus had now given three years of public labor to the world. His example of self-denial and disinterested benevolence was before them. His life of purity, of suffering and devotion, was known to all. Yet this short period of three years was as long as the world could endure the presence of its Redeemer." {The Desire of Ages, page 541, paragraph 3}

Dorine

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 07:08:55 AM »
Satan told them that in order to maintain their authority, they must put Jesus to death. This counsel they followed. The fact that they might lose the power they then exercised, was, they thought, sufficient reason for coming to some decision. With the exception of a few who dared not speak their minds, the Sanhedrin received the words of Caiaphas as the words of God. Relief came to the council; the discord ceased. They resolved to put Christ to death at the first favorable opportunity.
In rejecting the proof of the divinity of Jesus, these priests and rulers had locked themselves in impenetrable darkness. They had come wholly under the sway of Satan, to be hurried by him over the brink of eternal ruin. Yet such was their deception that they were well pleased with themselves. They regarded themselves as patriots, who were seeking the nation's salvation.

Our precious Saviour is gentle, meek, compassionate, long suffering yet there is a line that is crossed that He can not penetrate and must let the sinner choose which master he wants to serve. It's not of God's choosing but of man's. God knows where that line is. We don't. When we allow Satan to take control we will go to any lengths to protect self.  Let's work for the salvation of lost souls while it is still time. Think of the souls that are making that final decision today. Are we taking advantage of the opportunities that God gives to us to share with them God's great love for them and that by beholding Him and accepting Him God will change them into His character? Have we grasped  that truth for ourselves? If not we can never help anyone else know Jesus.

Beacon

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2020, 05:19:02 AM »
The miracles He performed on the Sabbath were all for the relief of the afflicted, but the Pharisees had sought to condemn Him as a Sabbathbreaker. They had tried to arouse the Herodians against Him. They represented that He was seeking to set up a rival kingdom, and consulted with them how to destroy Him. To excite the Romans against Him, they had represented Him as trying to subvert their authority. They had tried every pretext to cut Him off from influencing the people. But so far their attempts had been foiled.The multitudes who witnessed His works of mercy and heard His pure and holy teachings knew that these were not the deeds and words of a Sabbathbreaker or blasphemer. Even the officers sent by the Pharisees had been so influenced by His words that they could not lay hands on Him. In desperation the Jews had finally passed an edict that any man who professed faith in Jesus should be cast out of the synagogue.

We know that history will repeat itself against all who take their stand for Jesus as they practice and preach from His Holy Word. It is now that we need as never before to come into a closer relationship with Jesus and His Word. We must be able to say with great confidence. " Yea, though I walk through the valley of death - I will fear no evil." Ps23. Let us all determine to not let the enemy keep us from the Word so that we are firmly grounded and be willing if necessary to lay down our lives for Jesus. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2020, 05:50:23 AM »
Amen brother Beacon! History will indeed be repeated. I find it interesting that the state, Rome, was not as evil as was Israel. I am not saying Rome was not evil, for it was pilot who ordered the death of Christ. But it was at the insistence of Israel that pilot murdered Christ. So it will be in our day. The death decree will be a state Proclamation, but it will be at the insistence of the church.

So, as the priests, the rulers, and the elders gathered for consultation, it was their fixed determination to silence Him who did such marvelous works that all men wondered. Pharisees and Sadducees were more nearly united than ever before. Divided hitherto, they became one in their opposition to Christ. Nicodemus and Joseph had, in former councils, prevented the condemnation of Jesus, and for this reason they were not now summoned. There were present at the council other influential men who believed on Jesus, but their influence prevailed nothing against that of the malignant Pharisees. 

Yes, the world is set against God, but there are many in the world who are not yet filled with such hatred toward God as are those who are dressed in sheep's clothing. And, there are some who will be converted. Knowing the end of the matter,  it is our privilege to work for the salvation of those precious souls for whom Christ suffered and died. He came to this dark spot in the universe a helpless babe subject to the weakness of humanity to fight the battle of life as we must fight it. And His Father, our heavenly Father allowed it, knowing that His innocent Son could have been lost to Him for eternity. Such love! Let us honor that love today. Let us abide in Christ and He in us that we might reflect His character to a world soon to perish!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2020, 07:23:11 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon and Brother Richard!!

The ministry of Christ was heart work--a supernatural work to reach hearts. Yet God in His infinite love gives us all freedom of will that we may choose to follow Christ on the weight of evidence. He will not make the choice for us. He invites us to yield, but He will not force any to submit. But as we behold the loveliness of Jesus, we are enabled to see the love He has for us, and, in yielding, be converted and renewed to reflect Him. All of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing flow spontaneously from a converted heart because Jesus lives within! May we learn from the inspired lessons of the past that today we may reflect His character!

"His life had been one of persecution and insult. Driven from Bethlehem by a jealous king, rejected by His own people at Nazareth, condemned to death without a cause at Jerusalem, Jesus, with His few faithful followers, found a temporary asylum in a strange city. He who was ever touched by human woe, who healed the sick, restored sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and speech to the dumb, who fed the hungry and comforted the sorrowful, was driven from the people He had labored to save. He who walked upon the heaving billows, and by a word silenced their angry roaring, who cast out devils that in departing acknowledged Him to be the Son of God, who broke the slumbers of the dead, who held thousands entranced by His words of wisdom, was unable to reach the hearts of those who were blinded by prejudice and hatred, and who stubbornly rejected the light." {The Desire of Ages, page 541, paragraph 4}

Let us not reject the light of God's love! Let us make sure that today we are in full harmony with the majority position of the universe that resonates that "God is love," even though so few in our speck of a world choose to yield to Christ. Let us not become discouraged, but follow this inspired counsel:

"At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason." {Testimonies for the Church, Volume 5, page 136, paragraph 2}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2020, 05:23:51 AM »
Jesus is reasonable and logical. He speaks to our hearts and minds, and what He does is true. If we are willing to see truth as it really is, how can we not come to Him that we may have eternal life? Well, here lies the deeper issue--truth requires the surrender of the will to Christ. We, naturally as sinful and proud beings, must come to a point of total acknowledgement of our sinfulness and our need of a Savior. This is the struggle we all must realize; Christ longs to give us the victory over this "warfare against self" {Steps to Christ, page 43, paragraph 3}. When Jesus had just raised Lazarus from the dead, there were so many who KNEW He was the Messiah, yet so many who just kept opposing His work. Why? Not because they couldn't see "the facts," but because they did not want to acknowledge that they had been in error and needed to come to repentance. Oh, may we not be hardhearted and obstinate in turning from the light Jesus longs to bless us with!! Today as we behold the infinite loveliness of Jesus may our hearts yield to omnipotent love and allow the miracle of a fresh conversion to take place in our experience in which all of the fruits of the Spirit are manifest, and not one will be missing as we gladly obey the law of God from the heart renewed by divine grace! Let us allow Jesus to give us a new heart and a new mind in which all the pride, vanity, and selfishness are fully cleansed away and we experience His character on a moment-by-moment basis all the way to heaven!!

"Bethany was so near Jerusalem that the news of the raising of Lazarus was soon carried to the city. Through spies who had witnessed the miracle the Jewish rulers were speedily in possession of the facts. A meeting of the Sanhedrin was at once called to decide as to what should be done. Christ had now fully made manifest His control of death and the grave. That mighty miracle was the crowning evidence offered by God to men that He had sent His Son into the world for their salvation. It was a demonstration of divine power sufficient to convince every mind that was under the control of reason and enlightened conscience. Many who witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus were led to believe on Jesus. But the hatred of the priests against Him was intensified. They had rejected all lesser evidence of His divinity, and they were only enraged at this new miracle. The dead had been raised in the full light of day, and before a crowd of witnesses. No artifice could explain away such evidence. For this very reason the enmity of the priests grew deadlier. They were more than ever determined to put a stop to Christ's work." {The Desire of Ages, page 537, paragraph 1}

We can choose to oppose Jesus or join Him in His work. Let us learn from the lessons of the past as recorded in sacred history and choose this day to serve Jesus--not by our finite strength, but by His Spirit working in us in our human weakness as we yield completely and continually to Him!!

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2020, 07:02:16 AM »
"Jesus had now given three years of public labor to the world. His example of self-denial and disinterested benevolence was before them. His life of purity, of suffering and devotion, was known to all. Yet this short period of three years was as long as the world could endure the presence of its Redeemer. "

We can only begin to imagine what life was like for our Savior in the events leading up to His death on the cross....Even in the Garden of Gethsemane when He yearned for human understanding and encouragement He found His own disciples asleep when they should have been praying with and for Him. How heart breaking this must have been. Question: If Jesus should come today...would He find us praying or sleeping?

"His life had been one of persecution and insult. Driven from Bethlehem by a jealous king, rejected by His own people at Nazareth, condemned to death without a cause at Jerusalem, Jesus, with His few faithful followers, found a temporary asylum in a strange city. He who was ever touched by human woe, who healed the sick, restored sight to the blind, hearing to the deaf, and speech to the dumb, who fed the hungry and comforted the sorrowful, was driven from the people He had labored to save. He who walked upon the heaving billows, and by a word silenced their angry roaring, who cast out devils that in departing acknowledged Him to be the Son of God, who broke the slumbers of the dead, who held thousands entranced by His words of wisdom, was unable to reach the hearts of those who were blinded by prejudice and hatred, and who stubbornly rejected the light. "

In Revelation 3:20 Jesus says to us today "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me."

Today, will you join with me, making Jesus very happy by responding positively to His invitation?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2020, 07:15:03 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean. Such a simple truth. We cannot serve two masters. We have freedom to choose which we will serve. Then, let us choose Jesus. Let us learn of Him that we will then have power to live a Christian life reflecting His character in a world soon to perish. Amen Brother Beacon, three years was enough for the world. So it is today. The world is arrayed against Christ and His church. We see little persecution because there is so little being reflected of His character in His people today. Let us hasten the coming of Christ by witnessing to the power of His grace to transform sinners into saints.

As I read this morning, I was impressed with the work of Satan in causing some to sacrifice humans thinking they were serving God. And, yes, the Jews even sacrificed their children thinking they were working their way to heaven. "Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils, And shed innocent blood, [even] the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood." Psalm 106:37,38.

How did they and others come to the idea that they ought to sacrifice humans to please God? Satan had perverted the sacrificial system given to Israel. The sacrifices were to teach the truth that God loves the sinner so much He would send His innocent Son to this dark spot in the universe to suffer and die for our sins that we might be transformed into His image and be fit to live forever in a world without sin. Israel, like Christianity today, was so deceived that they were blind to the meaning of the sacrifices. Israel thought that if they killed Jesus, it would be a sacrifice that would save their nation. Such evil thinking.

Caiaphas had studied the prophecies, and although ignorant of their true meaning, he spoke with great authority and assurance: "Ye know nothing at all, nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not." Even if Jesus were innocent, urged the high priest, He must be put out of the way. He was troublesome, drawing the people to Himself, and lessening the authority of the rulers.....

The policy he advocated was based on a principle borrowed from heathenism. Among the heathen, the dim consciousness that one was to die for the human race had led to the offering of human sacrifices. So Caiaphas proposed by the sacrifice of Jesus to save the guilty nation, not from transgression, but in transgression, that they might continue in sin.

The Jews today are blind to this same truth. They are intent on building their temple again so they can do sacrifices to God. What an abomination. The Sacrifice has already been made. They have no idea what means Isaiah 53. Yet, the truth is set before them just as it is to professing Christianity who for the most part also reject such simple truth and believe they will be saved in sin, not from sin. We are nearing the end. It is given to us to seek out those who want to know the truth that they may follow Jesus. We are chosen not because we are good, but  because God has entrusted His people with His truth. We are responsible for the evil in this world because we have not done that which was entrusted to us, therefor evil continues to rein in the world. Jesus would have put a stop to this if we had followed the light given. Let us give the whole heart to Christ that He can have His church that has ceased to sin because they are filled with the Holy Ghost and reveal His character. Then Jesus shall come and there will be an end to sin and suffering.