Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--57--One Thing Thou Lackest  (Read 18291 times)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
Re: The Desire of Ages--57--One Thing Thou Lackest
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2023, 04:09:28 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

If you live on an island where beautiful shells are considered of highest value and that is what is understood to be of greatest importance, then it follows that your object would be to have them. But since we live in a universe where the highest value are souls created and redeemed by Jesus, it follows that when He gives us directions on how to win those souls and bring more of them into the heavenly home, that if we REALLY value what God does, we will gladly surrender fully to Him if we love God with the whole heart and our neighbor as ourselves. Had the rich young ruler understood what heaven values and let the grace of God convert His soul, he could have gladly yielded his wealth to help the poor to win souls, and would have been privileged with walking and talking with Jesus. Sadly, he held on to the things that pass away, and as a result would pass away with those things. Let us realize our deep need of God's grace to help us overcome the deceptive allure of riches and overvaluing the things of this life that can pull us away from a full surrender to Jesus if we let them. Only the life fully put in His hands will be truly efficient for good (keeping all things in proper balance/perspective for the winning of souls), revealing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing in affectionate obedience to all of God's commandments!

"When Christ's followers give back to the Lord His own, they are accumulating treasure which will be given to them when they shall hear the words, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; ... enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.' 'Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.' Matthew 25:23; Hebrews 12:2. The joy of seeing souls redeemed, souls eternally saved, is the reward of all that put their feet in the footprints of Him who said, 'Follow Me.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 523, paragraph 4}

Oh, what bliss it will be to see each soul brought to Christ in eternity! Christ gives us a part in this work to help us be fitted for heaven and to give us His joy! Heaven is cheap enough! Hallelujah!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2023, 04:26:47 AM »
"Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us."

You do not have to be rich or have a high position to be tempted as this young ruler. We are all in danger of allowing self to reign in our hearts. We may not indulge in things that are sinful in themselves but maybe they have the wrong priority in our lives putting them before God. This chapter is a simple lesson of what it means to be a citizen of God's kingdom. I love the description of Jesus' love for this man and how His heart yearned for his surrender. He feels the same for us all. He wants our affections and the total surrender of our hearts to Him. May we never put earthly things in the place that Jesus belongs. Then all that was missing will be supplied in abundance.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2023, 04:39:57 AM »
Amen my dear friends!  The only place we can hide is in Christ Jesus. As our sister has pointed out, Jesus longed for the heart of the the rich young ruler. But he would not give his things of this world. His possessions were of more importance than was Jesus. Are we living a sacrificial life that others might see Jesus in us? Is this not what we are being told in today's reading? Do we trust Jesus with all we have and all we are? If not, what must we do in order to obtain eternal life in a world without sin?

Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.   

Then what is the answer to the all important question? What must I do in order to trust God with all I am and all I have?  The Laodicean Nicodemus asked the same question when Jesus told Him he needed to be converted, born again of the Spirit. He asked "How can these things be?" The answer came "As  Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up." Nicodemus needed to behold Jesus lifted up on the cross. It is by beholding God's glory, His character, that we will be changed into His image, character. It is by grace we are saved, transformed. It is God's character to love us while we are yet sinners. This is grace, unmerited favor is what we do not deserve. This is what changes the heart (purifies it).

What does it mean to say no to Jesus? It means that we have denied Jesus His reward for all They have suffered.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2023, 03:40:04 AM »
Over and over we are instructed that God wants the whole heart. He wants the heart that it might be cleansed whiter than fresh fallen snow. Our characters are to reflect His character.

The ruler's possessions were entrusted to him that he might prove himself a faithful steward; he was to dispense these goods for the blessing of those in need. So God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2023, 05:32:21 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard!!!

It makes SO MUCH SENSE!

When we surrender fully to Jesus, we get to share the joy of winning souls so they can experience the blessedness of living forever with Him and be forever with the angels and all the redeemed! It is akin to insanity to hold on to the temporary, passing pleasures of this life and refuse to fully surrender to Christ, who knows what is best and plans for the good of His creatures! There is far greater joy in His service than any worldly, temporary attraction; the Bible calls it the attempt to "enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season" (Hebrews 11:25), but without Christ in the heart, even in those "pleasures" (so-called) there is a lack of peace in the heart. What good is that? "There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked" (Isaiah 57:21). Sadly, when the rich young ruler turned away from Jesus' affectionate call to obey Him in everything as would be evinced in selling all he had so the young man could go full-time in ministry with Jesus, he turned away. His high position and riches were his idol, and he chose the things that pass away instead of the things that last for eternity. What will last for eternity? The word of God and the souls who are redeemed by it. That includes your soul if you choose to surrender fully to Jesus! Then all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be manifest in the life because the heart is the abiding place for Jesus! In true obedience to all of God's commandments, selfless ministry becomes the highest delight of those who know the true riches--godly character and the winning of souls!!

"When Christ's followers give back to the Lord His own, they are accumulating treasure which will be given to them when they shall hear the words, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; ... enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.' 'Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.' Matthew 25:23; Hebrews 12:2. The joy of seeing souls redeemed, souls eternally saved, is the reward of all that put their feet in the footprints of Him who said, 'Follow Me.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 523, paragraph 4}

So let's do what makes sense. Let's surrender ALL TO JESUS!!! You will NOT regret it--for the rest of eternity!!!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2024, 08:06:11 PM »
"God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character."

God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God."

"All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down.

Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ."

"The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world."

"Only in this way can He save us." 

=========================

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2024, 03:32:56 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!!

Jesus loves you. He loved the rich young ruler, too. But He loved him too much to let him pursue a course of life that would allow him to remain self-deceived, and thus Jesus called this man to follow him, sell what he had, and give to the poor. Had he done this, he could have enjoyed the love, joy and peace of the Holy Spirit with all of the attributes (fruits) of the divine nature in his life without one missing. Without making that full surrender, he would only have the transient things of this life, and an inner sorrow that could never be filled (sadly, that is what he chose).

We were made to know and love God, and apart from Him in the path and plan He has for us, our souls will not experience true life fulfillment. We need to SEE our need of Jesus, just like how Jesus addresses the Laodicean Church (Revelation 3:14-22), and when we do accept the reproof in love, we can have total character transformation by receiving Christ's gold tried in the fire (faith working by love), white raiment (Christ's perfect righteousness revealed in right doing from right motives), and eyesalve (the continual presence of the Holy Spirit to give us spiritual discernment of our continual need of Jesus). Let us allow Jesus to do the needed work in our characters by afresh beholding His infinite loveliness, yielding to Him the WHOLE heart, and walking in the path of His choosing! True, affectionate obedience to all of God's holy commandments is the fruit of knowing and loving God in a complete surrender!

"The ruler's possessions were entrusted to him that he might prove himself a faithful steward; he was to dispense these goods for the blessing of those in need. So God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character." {The Desire of Ages, page 523, paragraph 2}

As we reveal Jesus in a world that is desperately in need of a revelation of lives that are not bent on self-seeking, but rather choose to live for God's glory, He is calling each of us to be "all in" for Him. Will you come to Christ as He draws you and choose to surrender all?

Dorine

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2024, 04:38:05 AM »
"The ruler's possessions were entrusted to him that he might prove himself a faithful steward; he was to dispense these goods for the blessing of those in need. So God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character."

I used to read the last sentence as though it was "I" that had to represent Christs character and then He would bless. No, no, it is because Christ lives in our hearts through the Holy Spirit then others will be drawn to Jesus because they see Him in us.   It is the work of the Holy Spirit that changes us as we cooperate with Him in humble, cheerful obedience. 
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Philip T

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2024, 06:31:41 AM »
     "One thing thou lackest," Jesus said. "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow Me." Christ read the ruler's heart. Only one thing he lacked, but that was a vital principle. He needed the love of God in the soul. This lack, unless supplied, would prove fatal to him; his whole nature would become corrupted. By indulgence, selfishness would strengthen. That he might receive the love of God, his supreme love of self must be surrendered.   

We see here the need of total surrender to Christ. Jesus asked no more or the rich young ruler than he did of any of the others who follow him, we see after the biggest fish catch of their fishing lives, the three disciples, left them lay on the beach and followed Jesus to be fishers of men, we also see Matthew a rich tax collector, leaving it all lay and follow after Jesus. We need to do the same thing, let go of our worldly life and goods, and follow Jesus. Salvation only comes through Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2024, 06:36:34 AM »
Amen dear friends!  Today's reading ought to bring conviction that all might understand the road to heaven is very steep and very narrow. Yet, all may enter if they will love the Lord our God all of the heart. The all important question we must ask and answer is clearly revealed:

He was so deeply moved that as Christ was going on His way, he ran after Him, and kneeling at His feet, asked with sincerity and earnestness the question so important to his soul and to the soul of every human being, "Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" 

Yes, not just the rich young ruler, but the question is to be understood by "every human being."  There is something we all must do in order to be saved. The first and greatest of all commandments is to love the Lord our God with all of the heart. Until we love God supremely we cannot be saved. Then the question is what must I do that I will love God with all I am and all I have, holding nothing back. There is only one way to do this, spend time beholding His glory which is His character.

Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God.

We can not trust God with all we have and all we are until we know Him intimately. It would be very good for us to spend a thoughtful hour a day contemplating the life of Jesus. We are a forgetful people. We must day by day come back to the cross to remember what God has done for us. He does not give us grace for tomorrow, but only for today. Then by beholding His character we shall be transformed into His character every day. "We all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18.

Beacon

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2024, 08:22:30 PM »
 "One thing thou lackest," Jesus said. "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow Me."

"Christ read the ruler's heart."

"Only one thing he lacked, but that was a vital principle."

"He needed the love of God in the soul."

"This lack, unless supplied, would prove fatal to him; his whole nature would become corrupted."

"By indulgence, selfishness would strengthen."

"That he might receive the love of God, his supreme love of self must be surrendered." 

Are "YOU"---Am "I"--- tempted to believe that God will overlook any "Sinful" Tendencies ? Satan rejoices when we think or act in any sinful way while knowing what God's Standard is.!! In a Spiritual sense are "WE" not... Crucifying Jesus Anew.!! Let us re-examine our daily habits and make sure of our calling to give "ALL" to Jesus.
========================
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.
    I surrender all,
  I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
    I surrender all.
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh, the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

Lyrics:Judson W. Van de Venter (1855-1939)
Music:Winfield Scott Weeden (1847-1908)

Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2024, 03:02:18 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

What will you choose? Just as surely as Jesus addressed the rich young ruler, He is calling us to completely surrender all we have and are to Him! When we do, we get to partake of the divine nature so that all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing will be revealed in our lives, empowering us to keep the law of God affectionately out of an intelligent appreciation of His love for us! "We love Him, because He first loved us" (1 John 4:19).

"Christ's words were verily to the ruler the invitation, 'Choose you this day whom ye will serve.' Joshua 24:15. The choice was left with him. Jesus was yearning for his conversion. He had shown him the plague spot in his character, and with what deep interest He watched the issue as the young man weighed the question! If he decided to follow Christ, he must obey His words in everything. He must turn from his ambitious projects. With what earnest, anxious longing, what soul hunger, did the Saviour look at the young man, hoping that he would yield to the invitation of the Spirit of God!" {The Desire of Ages, page 520, paragraph 1}

Christ yearns for each soul in this world. He calls us all by name. "But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and He that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine" (Isaiah 43:1). If we acknowledge our true identity in Christ, there is no limit to what He can do in and through our lives; if we turn away, as did the rich young ruler, the things of this life will become all-absorbing, and we will perish with the things that pass away. How sad! Oh, let us value the sacrifice of Christ and the invitation to be in His service, laying all on the altar for His will to be done in our lives! Then we have joy unspeakable, full of glory! Such a witness will attract others to Christ who gave all for us in His life of selflessness and His agonizing death to atone for sin! Praise God He is risen, soon to come again from heaven, and yearning to take His repentant and obedient children home when He comes! Will you choose to be "all in" for Him?

Dorine

« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2024, 04:41:19 AM »
"The ruler's possessions were entrusted to him that he might prove himself a faithful steward; he was to dispense these goods for the blessing of those in need. So God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character.

IIItIt’s a sad fact but with many the more one has the less keen they are to share with others. May God help us understand the divine principle of cheerful sacrifice and lay all our selfish desires and plans at the feet of Jesus and walk in His footsteps in serving others. A good portion of my life was lived in poverty. If it had not been for relatives that took us in, many times we would have been on the street. Although it was hard to be in that position I'm thankful today for that experience because sharing with those less fortunate brings such blessings of joy and happiness. It brings us into a connection with them where we have the opportunity to share Jesus.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2024, 07:54:08 AM »
Amen dear brothers and sister! Such beautiful and important truths  you have brought out this morning! Each of us who are reading here will surely be blessed.

This ruler had a high estimate of his own righteousness. He did not really suppose that he was defective in anything, yet he was not altogether satisfied. He felt the want of something that he did not possess. Could not Jesus bless him as He blessed the little children, and satisfy his soul want?   

How many sitting in churches today have not seen their defects, or at least do not acknowledge them. It is the work of the Holy Spirit to convict of sin so that all will know their danger. The Holy Spirit had not revealed to the rich young ruler his plague spot. But, Christ Himself did. When we see our defects, what shall we do? If we do not deal with them, then what more can God do than reveal His love for the sinner. He sends His disciples to reveal grace as He did when He sent Stephen to show grace to Saul the Persecutor. God is working hard to develop disciples who reflect His character to a world soon to perish. Today, there are millions reaching out for a knowledge of truth as never before. Who is it that has been entrusted with this leading edge of truth? When Jesus walked on this Earth it was Israel. They failed and were cut off. Today it is the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Why has not Jesus come yet? We have not done that which was entrusted to us. It is our joy today to finish the work given to us. We may experience the joy Sister Dorine has pointed out. "I'm thankful today for that experience because sharing with those less fortunate brings such blessings of joy and happiness. It brings us into a connection with them where we have the opportunity to share Jesus." Pastor Sean has shared the same! "Oh, let us value the sacrifice of Christ and the invitation to be in His service, laying all on the altar for His will to be done in our lives! Then we have joy unspeakable, full of glory! " And Brother Beacon has answered the question as to what we must be in order to experience this love, joy, and peace in this world and the world to come. "Christ read the ruler's heart....Only one thing he lacked, but that was a vital principle....He needed the love of God in the soul."

This leaves the all important truth that we must understand and share with the world. As Nicodemus asked Jesus when he was told he needed to be transformed, born again of the Spirit, "how can these things be?"  Millions when they come to see the plague spot or spots in their character and try very hard to get rid of them, they find they cannot just as Saul could not. Saul tells us that he came to understand he was captive to the law of sin and death. He was the problem, his nature was that of sin. The way he put it was in a prayer cried out to the God of heaven. "Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"  He thought Jesus an imposter. When Jesus answered his prayer by revealing Himself on the road to Damascus. Grace had been shown him over and over by those he was persecuting. They were true converted Christians reflecting the glory of God. They prayed Father forgive him for he knows not what he is doing. Stephen prayed "lay not this sin to their charge." It was this grace that revealed to Saul that God and His disciples loved him. It is this grace of God that brings forth a transformation of character, a new cleansed heart whiter than snow. So, the question as to how can these things be is answered. Paul said that we are saved by grace. Then we need to see that grace that surrounds us. It is by beholding His great love for us when we were yet sinners that transforms sinners into saints.

2 Cor. 3:18 clearly sets this truth in a manner that we all can understand what we must do in order to love the Lord our God with the whole heart. We must spend time with Him. And we must do this daily lest we forget how much He loves us, the great suffering that They suffered that we might know of their love for us.

rahab

« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2024, 04:27:43 PM »
I read but no comment as it seems to me  you all have said it well.   :D