Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--57--One Thing Thou Lackest  (Read 18245 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: The Desire of Ages--57--One Thing Thou Lackest
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 08:08:12 AM »
I love Jesus and the privilege He gives us in winning souls!

Amen! There is no greater joy than to see a heart open to the truth of the loveliness of Jesus! This is our joy as it was our Saviors as He walked upon this Earth.

As much as Jesus loved this young ruler and saw in him such valuable traits for His kingdom He could not accept even 99% of his heart. What a lesson for us today.

Amen! If the whole heart is not given, then we remain in our fallen condition which is selfish. The heart must be made new. The rich young ruler thought he was keeping the commandments, but if he was not fully surrendered, he could not  keep any of them. It is the motive that must be right.

If our church members were to experience the joy of finding lost sheep, they would not want the world. This is a reward we get in this world! WE don't have to wait for heaven!!

The joy of seeing souls redeemed, souls eternally saved, is the reward of all that put their feet in the footprints of Him who said, "Follow Me." 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 04:00:41 AM »
"Christ made the only terms which could place the ruler where he would perfect a Christian character. His words were words of wisdom, though they appeared severe and exacting. In accepting and obeying them was the ruler's only hope of salvation. His exalted position and his possessions were exerting a subtle influence for evil upon his character. If cherished, they would supplant God in his affections. To keep back little or much from God was to retain that which would lessen his moral strength and efficiency; for if the things of this world are cherished, however uncertain and unworthy they may be, they will become all-absorbing." 

What a lesson for each of us today. Again and again we read of God's requirements. They are not difficult when He reigns in the heart but to an unconverted selfish heart they are too severe and restrictive and many can not accept it. But what a penalty they bring upon themselves. Oh that we may be empty of self today; willing to take up the cross of Christ and follow Him where ever He leads.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 05:51:40 AM »
They are not difficult when He reigns in the heart....

So very true Dorine and when this happens we will joyfully give back what Christ's asks of us.

When Christ's followers give back to the Lord His own, they are accumulating treasure which will be given to them when they shall hear the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant; . . . enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." "Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Matthew 25:23; Hebrews 12:2. The joy of seeing souls redeemed, souls eternally saved, is the reward of all that put their feet in the footprints of Him who said, "Follow Me."
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 06:51:29 AM »
Amen, Dorine and Jim! When Jesus has full possession of the heart, out of love we gladly we respond to all of His biddings and invitations. So what is it that reaches a selfish, unconverted heart? It is grace. It is God's goodness, His character, and we daily get to behold His character as manifest in the loveliness of Jesus, for if we have seen Jesus, we have seen the Father. Grace moves upon the heart, but it remains with each of us if we will yield to God. He accepts only willing, voluntary service. The higher powers of the being--judgment, conscience, reason, and intellect--these are to be brought under the full control of the Holy Spirit so that the lower nature--the appetites and passions--can be kept crucified. When the soul is converted, the fallen, sinful flesh remains, but it is to remain as a dead man unfed, a nature not given expression. Only Christ in the soul continually can effect such a constant miracle! What a joy it is to follow Christ, even though it be attended with trials and tribulation, for Christ has promised His abiding presence in the soul that is surrendered fully to Him. Only by a full surrender is the heart made pure, only by continual union and communion with Christ can we do any good (unselfish) thing. By nature the heart is evil and we cannot cleanse it, but we can come to Christ as we are and consent for His Spirit to come into our souls and purge out the old carnal thoughts and desires, giving us a new heart and mind. Christ is a complete Savior. The rich young ruler thought he was already saved (but he was deceived) when he met Jesus--but he felt some lack. Jesus offered Him eternal life on condition of a complete surrender, and the young ruler turned away. He turned away from the infinite love of Jesus, and decided that this world would be his focus, his god. Let us realize the love of Christ by beholding Him daily, and rejoicing that anything He bids us yield to Him is actually for our best eternal good and the good of others--such a surrender is the experiential outflow of genuine righteousness by faith made efficacious by God's amazing grace!

"Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say 'No' to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us." {The Desire of Ages, page 523, paragraph 1}

Christ in the heart makes it possible to have an obedience experience of genuine righteousness by faith, an experience in which all of the fruits of the Spirit are seen in our lives without one missing, and we have a character that is reflecting Christ, more fully each day from glory to glory! I choose Christ today, how about you?
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 06:51:45 AM »
Amen and amen! And the reward that Jesus gets is to see the results of His suffering and death, the reflection of Himself in His witnesses upon this Earth. For time and eternity, the redeemed shall have a song to sing about the grace of our Lord!

Is it too much to ask, that we give all to Christ, after what He has done for us? What are we really giving Him? A sin polluted heart in exchange for what? Love, joy, and peace in this world and life everlasting in a world that will know no sorrow, pain, or death!!

God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.   
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 06:52:51 AM »
Amen, Pastor Sean. We posted the same at the same time!   :)   I am praying for the Michigan Conference this morning. May God bless all who are seeking to rightly represent Jesus as they consider His great love for humanity!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 05:52:06 AM »
Jesus loves you; Jesus loves me--and He is drawn toward us not because we are so good, but because He is so able to transform us to become pure, holy, and good in heart if we will but come to Him and surrender fully to Him. The way He interacted with the rich young ruler (see Mark 10:17-22) shows us that love is the motive power in Jesus' ministry to all of us--but that love cannot leave unsaid what must be shared in order for that love to transform the soul He is drawing to Himself. Similar to how Jesus in love rebukes the Laodicean church (Revelation 3:14-22), He longs to see us converted, bearing all of the fruits of His Spirit without one missing (which is the outflow of a heart and mind renewed by His grace and imbued with His presence), which motivates us out of love to God and impartial love for our neighbor to obey all the light of His word that shines on our pathway. It takes all the light God has revealed to us to make us the light of the world. To turn away from His will in anything is to show that we have not really accepted Him in anything--for our service, apart from Christ, is marred by selfishness. Only Christ in the heart can enable us to do anything He commands us, so that duty becomes a delight, and sacrifice a pleasure! May we not turn from Christ, but surrender fully to Him moment-by-moment is my prayer! "With God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26).

"Christ looked into the face of the young man, as if reading his life and searching his character. He loved him, and He hungered to give him that peace and grace and joy which would materially change his character. 'One thing thou lackest,' He said; 'go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.'" {The Desire of Ages, page 519, paragraph 1}
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 06:07:15 AM »
Jesus loves you; Jesus loves me--and He is drawn toward us not because we are so good, but because He is so able to transform us to become pure, holy, and good in heart if we will but come to Him and surrender fully to Him.

Thank you pastor Sean for saying this, this morning there days when the good Lord knows how to give encouragement through others even when they know it not.

This story is interesting because there are a few rich righteous people in the Bible but not many. Jesus knew what he was saying when He said it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven but as you pointed out all things possible with God. Nicodemus was a man of means also. But his riches were not used until after Christ's ascension when the young church was struggling but I'm sure he loved helping with his resources.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 01:48:56 AM »
Simplify. If you had to distill the teachings of Jesus, what would it be? "Self-surrender is the substance of the teachings of Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 523, paragraph 3}. I surrender all! Will you join me?

Plain Adventist

• In Search of Primitive Godliness
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2018, 03:59:59 AM »
Amen. "...only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down." DA 523.

This young man's issue was his unwillingness to share his money, but others of us may have other temptations. Many today seem to feel that there are very few conditions to salvation. May God help us to give ourselves to Him in full and glad surrender. Then we will be led into fully meeting all the conditions He has.
Amy Pavlovik ~~ “The strength and spirituality of the people of God are manifest by the distinctness of the line of demarcation which separates them from the world.” SW 17

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2018, 06:49:38 AM »
Amen Sister Amy and Pastor Sean! Thank you for sharing Sister Amy! Many will be blessed by your post.

What must I do to be saved is the all important issue. There is something we must do in order to obtain heaven, or better yet to glorify our God. We must love the Lord our God with the whole heart. What does that mean? It means that we make a full whole heart surrender of our will to His will. We walk in the light as He is in the light. We cannot hold anything back no matter how small a matter it is. Many will say that this is too narrow or too steep. Yes, that is the conclusion the rich young ruler came to. But is it too much to ask?

When we exchange a sin polluted heart for a heart cleansed as white as snow what do we think? Is that a bad exchange? When we give the whole heart to Christ, the Holy Spirit comes into the heart and brings with Him all of the fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. When do we get these? At the moment we surrender all to Christ, not one will be missing.

Who does not want love, joy, and peace? The rich young ruler did not understand very well. He made a bad deal in rejecting Christ. So too are many today. They have been deceived as to what it means to reject the call of Christ. The "pearl of great price" is worth all and anything we can give.

Again, in today's reading there is revealed the doctrines that  bring to us love, joy, and peace in this world and eternal life with Jesus in a world where there are no more tears, sorrow, or death. What must the rich young ruler do to obtain salvation? "Jesus told him that obedience to the commandments of God was necessary if he would obtain eternal life." Yet, we hear throughout professing Christian churches that we can do nothing to obtain salvation, it is a free gift. This teaching attempts to deceive in that coupled with this truth is the argument that it means we can enter heaven without repentance and keeping the commandments. In other words we are taught that we can have salvation when we sin a known sin. We don't have to keep the commandments of God. We can sin and be saved at the same time.

One of the well respected pastors in the Seventh-day Adventist Church teaches that "the monstrous teaching in the Seventh-day Adventist Church is that when one sins, he must be re-justified." He means that if I teach that we must repent of a known sin in order to have eternal life, this is a "monstrous teaching." Another highly respected pastor who has now passed beyond being able to deceive told me that if one sins on Monday, and does not repent until Friday, he has eternal life in between. He said he was teaching "relationship theology."

So many believe this that we may truly say the church remains in a Laodicean condition since they believe they are rich and increased with goods, but know not they are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked thinking they have eternal life, but do not. The rich young ruler was not in such a condition. When he walked away, he knew he was lost.

How do we reconcile the truth that we cannot do anything to obtain salvation and the truth that none will enter heaven unless they are keeping the commandments of God? The truth is that we must be transformed in character before we can enter heaven. Transformation comes when the heart is given wholly to Christ. How can this be? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up." We must look and live. There is something we must do in order to obtain salvation, but it does not earn salvation. It leads us to the One who has earned salvation for all who will come to Him just as they are. If we will learn of Him who is the Lamb that was slain from the foundation of the world, we shall fall in love with Him and thus receive a new heart that has been cleansed from sin, and is as white as snow. Jesus wanted to give the rich young ruler a new heart. He had seen something of the loveliness of Christ, but he did not know Him enough to trust Him with his whole heart. He loved his wealth more than he loved Jesus.

He longed to see in him a humble and contrite heart, conscious of the supreme love to be given to God, and hiding its lack in the perfection of Christ. 

What must I do in order to be saved and retain that salvation? I must drink in the grace of God each day in order to die to self daily. There is nothing good in me if Christ is not residing in my heart. I must cling to Jesus continually if I am to have supernatural power to be able to resist all of the temptations that come to me each day. It is the love of God that saves me. I must feed upon Jesus if I want to love Him all the time with all of my heart. The great truth which escapes most is that by looking upon Jesus uplifted on the cross, my heart goes out to Him. By beholding we become transformed in nature. We keep our fallen nature, but become partakers of God's divine nature. This is the greatest of all miracles. The Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart and empowers repentant sinners to walk in all of the light we have been given. The character of God is imparted to all who will love Him with the whole heart. By beholding His glory we are changed into His image by the Spirit continually. "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor. 3:18.

Beacon

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2019, 08:14:23 PM »
"Love for Christ was awakening in the ruler's heart; for love begets love. Jesus longed to see him a co-worker with Him. He longed to make him like Himself, a mirror in which the likeness of God would be reflected. He longed to develop the excellence of his character, and sanctify it to the Master's use. If the ruler had then given himself to Christ, he would have grown in the atmosphere of His presence. If he had made this choice, how different would have been his future![/b][/i]"

Do we really take the time in our busy lives to reflect and listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit trying to direct our paths?

"Christ gave this man a test. He called upon him to choose between the heavenly treasure and worldly greatness. The heavenly treasure was assured him if he would follow Christ. But self must yield; his will must be given into Christ's control.[/b] The very holiness of God was offered to the young ruler. He had the privilege of becoming a son of God, and a coheir with Christ to the heavenly treasure. But he must take up the cross, and follow the Saviour in the path of self-denial. Christ's words were verily to the ruler the invitation, "Choose you this day whom ye will serve." Joshua 24:15. The choice was left with him. Jesus was yearning for his conversion[/color]."

Perhaps if we would be willing to spend an hour with Jesus daily reflecting upon His sacrifice for us - We would not think that His requirements are too much for us to give all back to Him with a grateful heart. 

"All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.
Look up and listen for the shout.

Dorine

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2019, 06:33:11 AM »
"Jesus saw in this ruler just the help He needed if the young man would become a colaborer with Him in the work of salvation. If he would place himself under Christ's guidance, he would be a power for good. In a marked degree the ruler could have represented Christ; for he possessed qualifications, which, if he were united with the Saviour, would enable him to become a divine force among men. Christ, seeing into his character, loved him. Love for Christ was awakening in the ruler's heart; for love begets love. Jesus longed to see him a co-worker with Him. He longed to make him like Himself, a mirror in which the likeness of God would be reflected. He longed to develop the excellence of his character, and sanctify it to the Master's use. If the ruler had then given himself to Christ, he would have grown in the atmosphere of His presence. If he had made this choice, how different would have been his future!"

I've been reflecting on this paragraph this morning. What a privilege it is for us to be able to see deeper into many biblical occurrences through the pen of inspiration. As I read of the dynamics of what is happening between Jesus and the young ruler it reinforced the truth that, "Only those who will become coworkers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged of God.  All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down."

How many today like this young ruler are desiring a relationship with Jesus but when the conditions are laid out it is too much.

"God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character."

I give you my all today Lord. I want nothing of this life to be so important that I can not give it all to you. Amen.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2019, 07:06:28 AM »
Amen, Beacon and Dorine! What a privilege it is to surrender all, though it cross our fallen flesh at each step!

I was reflecting on how much we need Christ's love, and His attributes, to change us.

Without the love of Jesus in our souls, we are still lacking that which will save us. But how do we get that love? By beholding it! What you need in your character will never come from you, so stop looking there to try to get it. Look unto Jesus, and find  in Him all excellence and perfection that you need. Let His love fill your soul, and expel selfishness and sin, so that you can be a new creature, filled with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing! As you look and live, you will find joy in self-sacrifice, and peace that passes understanding!

"'One thing thou lackest,' Jesus said. "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow Me." Christ read the ruler's heart. Only one thing he lacked, but that was a vital principle. He needed the love of God in the soul. This lack, unless supplied, would prove fatal to him; his whole nature would become corrupted. By indulgence, selfishness would strengthen. That he might receive the love of God, his supreme love of self must be surrendered." {The Desire of Ages, page 519, paragraph 3}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 07:14:01 AM »
Amen, amen and amen! Unless I give to God all I have and all I am, then I am not His. "He that hath the Son hath life, He that hath not the Son hath not life." What was the ruler's problem? I saw something this morning I had not seen in the past. What would have corrected His problem? The answer is always the same. We need to give the whole heart to Christ. And, we cannot do that unless we know Him, unless we trust Him with the whole heart. The young ruler did not know God well enough. How do we know?

His claim that he had kept the law of God was a deception. He showed that riches were his idol. He could not keep the commandments of God while the world was first in his affections. He loved the gifts of God more than he loved the Giver. Christ had offered the young man fellowship with Himself. "Follow Me," He said. But the Saviour was not so much to him as his own name among men or his possessions. To give up his earthly treasure, that was seen, for the heavenly treasure, that was unseen, was too great a risk. He refused the offer of eternal life, and went away, and ever after the world was to receive his worship. Thousands are passing through this ordeal, weighing Christ against the world; and many choose the world. Like the young ruler, they turn from the Saviour, saying in their hearts, I will not have this Man as my leader.
     Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.   

The risk was too great! What risk? He saw a full surrender and giving all to Christ was a risk. How very sad! He was blind and ignorant. A risk? God took the risk in allowing His Son to come to this wicked world. But, we take no risk in giving back to Christ all that is His. We are blessed, but the young ruler was quite ignorant and stupid to give up everlasting life with Jesus for the things of this world which would only bring sorrow and death. He will suffer for every sin after he is resurrected. Ignorance is the work of Satan to blind sinners of what might be and what is going to be after the thousand years. Fire and brimstone is a reality and so is eternal life in heaven with Jesus.

What would have changed the outcome for the rich young ruler? If he has learned of Christ, learned of His grace and the power to transform his character, he would have understood that there is no risk. For the power to obtain everlasting life, the power to transform him from sinner to saint, is the power of God. He only needed to learn of Him, to drink in His grace, in order to be saved.

How many today have drunk of the same wine of false doctrine and do not know God as it is our privilege to know Him? Let us testify to His Goodness and power to save, to transform sinners into saints this side of heaven! The very best testimony is to reflect the character of our Lord today. All may see that the blessings of God begin in this world and will continue for eternity. Love, joy, and peace begin here. These the rich young ruler gave up in exchange for a mess of pottage. How very sad. And this sorrow began for the rich young ruler when he chose this pottage over Jesus. "The cost of eternal life seemed too great, and he went away sorrowful."

Beacon

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 09:34:35 PM »
"Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. "

A Biblical example is given through the apostle Paul when he wrote these sad words found in 2 Timothy 4:9-11 Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: for Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica. It is a question each one of us must answer! We sing " All to Jesus I surrender" but is it really true? As we  analyze our activities of daily living do we see that Jesus is first and foremost in the pattern of our daily living?  This challenges my heart and I hope it does your also.

"All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 05:30:36 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!  I too was drawn to this truth. God wants the whole heart, not part of it.

Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.   

"Only in this way can He save us."  Obedience does not save us, grace does. The evidence that grace has come into the heart is seen in obedience to all we know to be true. Even more so, when we make a whole heart surrender to Christ, the Holy Spirit takes possession of the heart and brings with Him all of the fruits of the Spirit, not one will be missing. What a blessing, to have love, joy, and peace amid a world in turmoil!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
Amen, Brothers Beacon and Richard!

May we remember that Christ lovingly gives us tests during the "easy times" now so we can know if we are converted (and if we are not, how to be converted). If Jesus asks us to do something either directly in His word or by the clear working of His Spirit, and we choose to go our own way, we reveal that self is "all alive and well" (a very perilous, lost condition). May we recognize our continual need of Jesus and turn not FROM Jesus (like the rich young ruler) but TO Jesus (even when what He calls us to do SEEMS like a sacrifice). Because God has eternal purposes for us and already gave the ultimate sacrifice in Himself on the cross, we are never REALLY called to make a real sacrifice--all He calls us to do is for our highest and eternal good, and when we (by His grace) get to heaven, we will realize we would not have wanted it any other way than the way He led us!!

"Christ gave this man a test. He called upon him to choose between the heavenly treasure and worldly greatness. The heavenly treasure was assured him if he would follow Christ. But self must yield; his will must be given into Christ's control. The very holiness of God was offered to the young ruler. He had the privilege of becoming a son of God, and a coheir with Christ to the heavenly treasure. But he must take up the cross, and follow the Saviour in the path of self-denial." {The Desire of Ages, page 519, paragraph 5}

This young man SPOKE TO JESUS and still turned his own way! Every time we pick up the Bible, pray and ask God to reveal His will to us, HE ALSO is speaking to us! Let us not turn from the conditions of salvation--rather, let us, by experiencing the power of His grace willingly surrender all to the One who gave more than we can ask or think in offering up Himself as our Sin-Bearer and Savior. As we look upon the uplifted cross, whatever we are going through or invited to do seems small in comparison (indeed, it is a privilege to go in the way He leads!). May we joy in the experience of full-heart surrender, which brings about a true conversion experience manifest in the life with all of the fruits of the Spirit--not one missing!!   

Beacon

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
"Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God."

To keep back little or much from God was to retain that which would lessen his moral strength and efficiency; for if the things of this world are cherished, however uncertain and unworthy they may be, they will become all-absorbing." 

When Christ’s followers give back to the Lord His own, they are accumulating treasure which will be given to them when they shall hear the words, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; ... enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.’ ‘Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.’ Matthew 25:23; Hebrews 12:2. The joy of seeing souls redeemed, souls eternally saved, is the reward of all that put their feet in the footprints of Him who said, ‘Follow Me.’”

God's Word says in  Matthew 16:25-26--- For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Happy Sabbath to our World Wide Family of God.  :)

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2019, 05:51:50 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon! Happy Sabbath!!

Anything Jesus asks us to do is out of His selfless love for us! May we realize that all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing can only flow through our hearts if we are willing to be fully surrendered to Christ, and available to be used in whatever way He deems best!

"Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say 'No' to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us." {The Desire of Ages, page 523, paragraph 1}

We are never called to make a real sacrifice for God. Every time we willingly give to God our all to be used by Him, He only more than recompenses this willingness with even more grace! Would that the young ruler could have realized that Christ was simply asking him to transfer assets from this world to the next--from the temporal realm to the eternal! When we REALLY realize what Christ is offering us and REALLY behold the loveliness of Jesus, how can we be anything less than ALL IN for Him and FULLY SURRENDERED so He can manifest through us His character? Anything less than this is like the insanity of Lucifer who rebelled when he already had all he needed and would have only been more and more happy in God's perfect will if he had remained in a state of beholding the infinite glory of God. Oh, let us look away from this poor, dark speck of a world as though it was to be the main focus of our time, talents and treasure. Let us lay up treasure in heaven--forming characters like Christ in humble affectionate obedience to God so that through us He will draw many more souls into the experience of eternal life!! What a joy it is to be SURRENDERED to God without reserve!