Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--57--One Thing Thou Lackest  (Read 18203 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--57--One Thing Thou Lackest
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2019, 06:50:36 AM »
"The ruler's possessions were entrusted to him that he might prove himself a faithful steward; he was to dispense these goods for the blessing of those in need.So God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character."
I've said this before I'm  sure but it came to mind again when I read this chapter. It seems the more you have the less you want to share. Unless that is you have an abiding relationship with Christ. He had nothing yet he constantly gave. We may not have money but we have other gifts that God has bestowed upon us for the benefit of others. If God has blessed us with financial means that is wonderful. God wants us to be generous with our talents, time, and money. We can not out give Him. I've been thrilled to see how He takes care of us when we sacrificially give.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2019, 01:51:35 PM »
Amen Dear Sister Dorine! We all would like more time. But, why?  Many equate time with money. And so it is. But, why not equate time with Jesus. The more time we spend with Him, the more we shall know and love Him! Will we give to Jesus more of our time? If so, then we shall be accumulating treasure in heaven.

When Christ's followers give back to the Lord His own, they are accumulating treasure which will be given to them when they shall hear the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant; . . . enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." "Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Matthew 25:23; Hebrews 12:2. The joy of seeing souls redeemed, souls eternally saved, is the reward of all that put their feet in the footprints of Him who said, "Follow Me." 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2019, 04:50:26 AM »
God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.   

There is nothing in this world that is worth losing eternal life for. Christ's requirements are for our good and happiness. He has set boundaries to keep us safe but it goes much deeper than that. When we truly fall in love with Jesus we will fall at His feet and say yes Lord by Your grace I will follow You all the way. We will not count the cost for we will realize that life with Jesus is cheap enough.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2019, 07:48:47 AM »
I was ready to share the same paragraph, dear Sister Dorine. It is a simple truth that we all may understand.

Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.

"Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God."
God will take care of us. It is a hard lesson to learn, and one that we will not learn until we know intimately our Savior. Then we will have "saving faith" and will follow Him where ever He leads. If we have not experienced the joy of saving a lost soul, then we do not understand the reward that comes when we give Christ everything we are and everything we have. "The joy of seeing souls redeemed, souls eternally saved, is the reward of all that put their feet in the footprints of Him who said, "Follow Me." 

Every single day one may read in this forum a sermon in which we see the plan of salvation and what we must do in order to be saved.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2019, 08:26:05 AM »
We will not count the cost for we will realize that life with Jesus is cheap enough.

I just want to clarify my statement that life with Jesus is cheap enough. It is cheap for me but it was very costly for our Saviour. What do I need to give up that has any worth in it? I would not want anyone to think that I believe that Jesus' sacrifice was cheap.

Beacon

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2019, 08:41:52 AM »
"Christ looked into the face of the young man, as if reading his life and searching his character. He loved him, and He hungered to give him that peace and grace and joy which would materially change his character. 'One thing thou lackest,' He said; 'go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.'"

All of us need to understand that --- IF WE DO NOT TAKE UP THE CROSS AND FOLLOW JESUS ---THERE CAN BE NO CROWN OF VICTORY, for when Jesus comes we will not be among those who hear the words as recorded in Matthew 25:21...

"His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord."

"All of us should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ!! The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us but the cost of eternal life seemed too great to the rich young ruler and he went away sorrowful."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2019, 09:15:46 AM »
Amen, Brother Richard, Sister Dorine and Brother Beacon!! What a Savior we have in Jesus!! Full surrender is the only way to truly follow Him!

Jesus tells us what we need to hear, and we can be thankful for His grace speaking so clearly to our souls so we may turn from anything that would keep us from a complete surrender to Him. Only Christ can give us true repentance--the power to confess sin out of a heart made truly penitent--so that we can experience the blessing of a new heart and mind imbued with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing. In such a heart obedience to all that we know of the law of God is our delight! I choose to yield my will to Christ and receive His strength to turn continually to Him.

"To those who, like the young ruler, are in high positions of trust and have great possessions, it may seem too great a sacrifice to give up all in order to follow Christ. But this is the rule of conduct for all who would become His disciples. Nothing short of obedience can be accepted. Self-surrender is the substance of the teachings of Christ. Often it is presented and enjoined in language that seems authoritative, because there is no other way to save man than to cut away those things which, if entertained, will demoralize the whole being." {The Desire of Ages, page 523, paragraph 3}

Christ is the perfect pattern Man of self-surrender. All through His life He lived self-surrender, culminating in Gethsemane and Calvary, and He offers His self-surrender to us who are by nature so weak in moral power so that His character may stand in the place of our character as we fully surrender (justification) which simultaneously leads to the miracle of sanctification in which His character is wrought into our very thoughts, feelings, purposes, motives and desires. This is the greatest miracle God can accomplish, and He invites us daily to receive a richer draft of the love that only makes more evident the miracle of what His grace can do!!

"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »
"God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character."

"When Christ's followers give back to the Lord His own, they are accumulating treasure which will be given to them when they shall hear the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant; . . . enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." "Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Matthew 25:23; Hebrews 12:2. The joy of seeing souls redeemed, souls eternally saved, is the reward of all that put their feet in the footprints of Him who said, "Follow Me."

The Great Invitation of Jesus is to " Take Up our Cross and Follow Him "It Is one of the Greatest Invitations ever extended to any human!! We need to think seriously....
WHAT EARTHLY PLEASURE OR TREASURE OR "BOTH" WOULD I BE WILLING TO EXCHANGE  FOR MY ETERNAL LIFE WITH JESUS.

Perhaps we need to reflect on Mark 8:36 "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Dorine

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2020, 06:57:07 AM »
The ruler was quick to discern all that Christ's words involved, and he became sad. If he had realized the value of the offered gift, quickly would he have enrolled himself as one of Christ's followers. He was a member of the honored council of the Jews, and Satan was tempting him with flattering prospects of the future. He wanted the heavenly treasure, but he wanted also the temporal advantages his riches would bring him. He was sorry that such conditions existed; he desired eternal life, but he was not willing to make the sacrifice. The cost of eternal life seemed too great, and he went away sorrowful; "for he had great possessions."

Oh how sad! How many today are making the same choices. When we desire the crown without the cross we will eventually walk away from eternal life. None of us are beyond going the way of this young man except we daily abide in Jesus, beholding Him constantly.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2020, 09:18:49 PM »
Amen Sister Dorine. How very sad. And, with many it is not so much their possessions, but their idol is self and it has idols many. The way one dresses. The car one drives. The sports being played. Food, music, books, appearance or whatever we will not give up for Jesus.

When we read this chapter, the Holy Spirit will bring to our minds what those idols may be in our lives. What will we choose, the idol or Jesus?

Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us.   

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2020, 04:14:05 AM »
Jesus is all we need, but the entire heart must be yielded to Him so He may abide in us in order for the promise to be fulfilled: "And ye are complete in Him, which is the head of all principality and power" (Colossians 2:10). The rich young ruler who came to Christ was not complete in Christ, for he had not chosen to surrender his life unreservedly to Jesus. That was why he felt he was missing something. Whatever we put first in life--if it be other than Jesus--will inevitably absorb our time, focus, and attention, and of that we do make an idol. May we see our continual need of Jesus, and trust Him to be all we truly need to be complete, yet knowing that He has more to give us in the fulfillment of His purposes of omnipotence!

"Christ was drawn to this young man. He knew him to be sincere in his assertion, 'All these things have I kept from my youth.' The Redeemer longed to create in him that discernment which would enable him to see the necessity of heart devotion and Christian goodness. He longed to see in him a humble and contrite heart, conscious of the supreme love to be given to God, and hiding its lack in the perfection of Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 519, paragraph 2}

Let us have all our weakness and imperfection hidden in Christ--not as a cloak for sin, but inasmuch as we are finite beings, we need a divine-human Savior to guide us moment-by-moment in His perfect will in the use of all the blessings He has entrusted to us for the fulfillment of the purpose of blessing others and helping them to come to total surrender. That complete surrender brings the joyful miracle of the Holy Spirit filling the heart and mind and bringing all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing and an affectionate obedience to all God calls us to do!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Beacon

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2020, 04:58:24 AM »
"Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us."

All of us should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ!! The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us but the cost of eternal life seemed too great to the rich young ruler and he went away sorrowful.

Mark 8:36"For what shall it profit a man,if he shall gain the whole world,and lose his own soul?"
[/font][/size][/color]

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2020, 02:46:15 AM »
Nothing short of obedience can be accepted. Self-surrender is the substance of the teachings of Christ.

Please join me in surrendering the whole heart to Jesus NOW so He may immediately, supernaturally give you a new heart with ALL of the fruits of the Spirit so that not one is missing as you obey ALL the Ten Commandments because Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15).

Dorine

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2020, 06:36:16 AM »
Amen Pastor Sean and Beacon. This chapter makes it so clear the conditions for being a child of God. Beacon chose the thought that stood out to me this morning too. And Pastor Sean I am happy to join you in surrendering my heart anew this morning.

"One thing thou lackest," Jesus said. "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow Me." Christ read the ruler's heart. Only one thing he lacked, but that was a vital principle. He needed the love of God in the soul. This lack, unless supplied, would prove fatal to him; his whole nature would become corrupted. By indulgence, selfishness would strengthen. That he might receive the love of God, his supreme love of self must be surrendered."

I may not relate to the idol that kept this young man from accepting Jesus but anything that becomes so important to hang on to than to make a full surrender to Jesus is an idol (god). The commandment is very clear...."Thou shalt have no other gods before me." He wants my whole heart. He is jealous of my affections for any other. His love never changes but if we are to walk, work and live together then he must have 100 percent of me. This is not hard to comprehend. Even a child can understand. It shows the power of sin to justify our selfish desires. But Jesus changes all that when He has our whole heart. Like children we need this repeated over and over.

Beacon

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 07:11:25 AM »
"Christ's dealing with the young man is presented as an object lesson. God has given us the rule of conduct which every one of His servants must follow. It is obedience to His law, not merely a legal obedience, but an obedience which enters into the life, and is exemplified in the character. God has set His own standard of character for all who would become subjects of His kingdom. Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God. All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down. Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ. The ruler said, No, I cannot give You all. Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world. Only in this way can He save us."

Ezekiel 18:31 says: Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

The "only" way that we can become vessels of honor for Jesus is through "FULL SURRENDER"
                   What will "OUR" response be?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 12:13:30 PM »
Amen, amen, and amen!!  It is us that God wants. He wants the whole heart, not part of it. The young ruler would not give Jesus those things he loved more than Jesus. He gave up the riches of heaven, life eternal, and the love, joy, and peace that we may have in this world. Not a wise decision. How many are likewise unwise today? Most, even of those who profess to follow Jesus. Deceptions abound that lead many to think they have salvation when they do not. The Bible is so  very clear, as we who are posting can clearly see. Obedience does not save a soul, but none will enter heaven unless they are perfectly obedient manifesting the love, joy, and peace that God brings with Him when He takes possession of the heart willingly given to Him.

Christ gave this man a test. He called upon him to choose between the heavenly treasure and worldly greatness. The heavenly treasure was assured him if he would follow Christ. But self must yield; his will must be given into Christ's control. The very holiness of God was offered to the young ruler. He had the privilege of becoming a son of God, and a coheir with Christ to the heavenly treasure. But he must take up the cross, and follow the Saviour in the path of self-denial. 

Is this not easy to understand? God wants us to reflect His holiness which He offers to us. It is not the imputed righteousness He speaks of here, no it is imparted righteousness that is seen in all who fully surrender the whole heart. Not at the end of life, but at the moment Christ through the Holy Spirit enters the heart, the whole heart.

Christ made the only terms which could place the ruler where he would perfect a Christian character. His words were words of wisdom, though they appeared severe and exacting. In accepting and obeying them was the ruler's only hope of salvation. His exalted position and his possessions were exerting a subtle influence for evil upon his character. If cherished, they would supplant God in his affections. To keep back little or much from God was to retain that which would lessen his moral strength and efficiency; for if the things of this world are cherished, however uncertain and unworthy they may be, they will become all-absorbing.   

The road to heaven is not wide, but very narrow and few will enter therein. But, all might since it is the power of God that will be given to all who truly want it. The cost is everything we are and everything we have. It is the pearl of great price and worth so much more than what we can pay!

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2020, 04:46:10 AM »
Simplify.

"Self-surrender is the substance of the teachings of Christ." {The Desire of Ages, page 523, paragraph 3}

When the whole heart is surrendered to Christ, He recreates it into His image and pours all of the fruits of the Spirit into the life without one missing! What a miracle! May this be your experience today and always!

Dorine

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2020, 08:33:06 AM »
  "The ruler's possessions were entrusted to him that he might prove himself a faithful steward; he was to dispense these goods for the blessing of those in need. So God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character."

All that we have belongs to God. We can choose to hoard it to ourselves or through willing and cheerful self-sacrifice bring happiness and blessings to others in need. The last sentence jumped out at me especially when I inserted my name. "He/Dorine wins souls to Christ, because he/she is a representative of His character."  May that always be so.

Beacon

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »
" Only those who will become co-workers with Christ, only those who will say, Lord, all I have and all I am is Thine, will be acknowledged as sons and daughters of God..

All should consider what it means to desire heaven, and yet to turn away because of the conditions laid down..

Think of what it means to say "No" to Christ..

Mark 8:36"For what shall it profit a man,if he shall gain the whole world,and lose his own soul?"

The ruler said, "No, I cannot give You all". Do we say the same? The Saviour offers to share with us the work God has given us to do. He offers to use the means God has given us, to carry forward His work in the world.

My dear Remnant-On-Line Family...The things of this world are very, very soon about to be on No Value or Pleasure. If there was ever a time for God's Remnant People to say...ALL TO JESUS I SURRENDER...I believe that time is NOW! Probationary time for planet earth and all it's inhabitants will soon close.

Dorine

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2020, 06:21:56 AM »
"The ruler's possessions were entrusted to him that he might prove himself a faithful steward; he was to dispense these goods for the blessing of those in need. So God now entrusts men with means, with talents and opportunities, that they may be His agents in helping the poor and the suffering. He who uses his entrusted gifts as God designs becomes a co-worker with the Saviour. He wins souls to Christ, because he is a representative of His character."

The Lord has laid a great burden on my heart for those in need here and a far (physically and spiritually). I have failed Him many times in this area but He is working on my heart to think of ways and things I can do to be a co-worker in the field of God. One thing hubby and I have found is that when you open your heart to give He opens the floodgates of heaven with the means and ability to give even more. We have been deeply amazed to see what God does when self is put aside and others become your focus for God. We are humbly grateful and give all glory to Him.