Author Topic: The Desire of Ages--56--Blessing the Children  (Read 15154 times)

Dorine

Re: The Desire of Ages--56--Blessing the Children
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2019, 06:46:43 AM »
"Encourage the expression of love toward God and toward one another. The reason why there are so many hardhearted men and women in the world is that true affection has been regarded as weakness, and has been discouraged and repressed. The better nature of these persons was stifled in childhood; and unless the light of divine love shall melt away their cold selfishness, their happiness will be forever ruined. If we wish our children to possess the tender spirit of Jesus, and the sympathy that angels manifest for us, we must encourage the generous, loving impulses of childhood."

This chapter is near and dear to my heart. As I spend time with my children now in their 50's and their children in their 20's we enjoy sharing the truths that are brought out in this chapter. It's a time to reflect on the memories  and experiences of the good and not so good times and express our thankfulness to God for His leading and guiding in our lives through it all. It strengthens the love, bond and respect for each other and for Christ. It's all about Him. When He reigns in the heart, He's the one that changes the heart and makes the home a little heaven on earth.
My heart is very heavy as I see the heartache and trials that so many families are going through that are unnecessary. Even when we fail miserably we can come boldly before our God asking for forgiveness and we receive it instantly. Not to keep repeating the same mistakes but to move in a new direction with Christ at the helm. It's not weakness of character to acknowledge we have been wrong.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2019, 07:59:01 AM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  This is why Jesus leaves us on this dark spot in the universe.  How do we work with the best children who have good characters? That is not the question. How do we work with the ones who do not have good character is the question. I guess if we remember how God began His work with us, it would help. It is His grace working through us that will succeed. We need Jesus, we need to be filled with His Spirit, then we shall not only wisdom, but grace to do the work.

Let not your un-Christlike character misrepresent Jesus. Do not keep the little ones away from Him by your coldness and harshness. Never give them cause to feel that heaven will not be a pleasant place to them if you are there. Do not speak of religion as something that children cannot understand, or act as if they were not expected to accept Christ in their childhood. Do not give them the false impression that the religion of Christ is a religion of gloom, and that in coming to the Saviour they must give up all that makes life joyful.   

In this world as it was at the time of Noah, we need Jesus every moment of every day that we might have love, joy, and peace.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2019, 08:58:54 AM »
Amen Sister Dorine!  What a blessing to know that Jesus loves us and wants to forgive us. We may possess peace and joy when we come to Jesus just as we are!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2019, 02:18:40 PM »
Amen, Brothers Beacon and Richard and Sister Dorine!

Sharing Jesus with children is a wonderful experience when we realize that it is only "Christ's method alone" that can really win their hearts. When Jesus blessed the children, all the little child may have remembered was the smiling face of Jesus and that their mother was encouraged by the interaction--but it made an impression, built trust, showed love and confidence, and would be instrumental in shaping the character of the little ones to follow Christ. The children who were a little older would have not only been blessed by the experience, but the words Jesus spoke and how He said them would impact the direction of their whole life. I am "one of those children" in a sense, as I was five years old when my mom first asked me if I wanted to pray to accept Jesus as my Savior. A lot has happened since then. My dad died when I was 12, my mom died when I was 15, and for years I struggled with bipolar disorder--but through it all I can honestly say it is the loving impressions made on my heart in childhood, the later deepening experiences of Jesus' loveliness of character, and the sense of God's grace in all aspects of the message of the gospel (including His healing, as He has healed me from bipolar fully!) that has only brought me closer to Him than before. I know I am not alone. Many others who are walking with Jesus have had an experience from childhood that made an impression that was deepened by the Holy Spirit, helping to lead to where God has the precious soul now, and in preparation for what He also continues to unfold. Though my mom does not know it (as she rests in the grave), the lessons she taught me about Jesus would be a huge blessing to me as God would call and prepare me to be a pastor. I am encouraged to think of each child as having such incredible potential when they come to love and trust Jesus with the whole heart in true surrender!! The fruit of such a surrender fully to Christ is that all of the fruits of the Spirit will be manifest in the life--not one will be lacking!

"As you win their confidence in you as followers of Christ, it will be easy to teach them of the great love wherewith He has loved us. As you try to make plain the truths of salvation, and point the children to Christ as a personal Saviour, angels will be by your side. The Lord will give to fathers and mothers grace to interest their little ones in the precious story of the Babe of Bethlehem, who is indeed the hope of the world." {The Desire of Ages, page 517, paragraph 1} 
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »
"Let mothers come to Jesus with their perplexities. They will find grace sufficient to aid them in the management of their children. The gates are open for every mother who would lay her burdens at the Saviour's feet. He who said, "Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not," still invites the mothers to lead up their little ones to be blessed by Him. Even the babe in its mother's arms may dwell as under the shadow of the Almighty through the faith of the praying mother. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from his birth. If we will live in communion with God, we too may expect the divine Spirit to mold our little ones, even from their earliest moments."

I believe this includes conception. What blessings are promised to those who believe Jesus' words and come to Him in faith knowing that they will receive comfort and strength and wisdom to raise their little ones for Jesus.

Even if this didn't start in infancy it is never too late to bring them to Jesus. Admit the mistakes and determine to be consistent in depending on Christ from that moment on. In our reading it wasn't just the children that Mother's brought. Some were teenagers. He loved them all and blessed them all. He has not changed. Children know when they are loved and what a privilege it is for Mother's and teachers and godly women to reveal that love to them.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »
Amen, Sister Dorine!

What a joy we may have in bringing the precious children to Jesus!

As a minister at a summer camp in Michigan with four boys in my cabin, it is a blessing to see how the Holy Spirit can shape their hearts and lives as they receive the impressions and truths of God’s word!

“The Saviour regards with infinite tenderness the souls whom He has purchased with His own blood. They are the claim of His love. He looks upon them with unutterable longing. His heart is drawn out, not only to the best-behaved children, but to those who have by inheritance objectionable traits of character. Many parents do not understand how much they are responsible for these traits in their children. They have not the tenderness and wisdom to deal with the erring ones whom they have made what they are. But Jesus looks upon these children with pity. He traces from cause to effect.” {The Desire of Ages, page 517, paragraph 5}

The more we know about a child and their family as we are connected to Jesus, the more we can be understanding and patient with mercy like Jesus.  Because He knows what is shaped each child, He truly alone can fill us with His pity and compassion for each child. Let us pray for that Holy Spirit infilling today!
"When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing." {The Desire of Ages, 676.4}

Dorine

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 12:49:16 PM »
Amen Pastor Sean. I didn't mean to leave out all the godly men that have important influence in the children's lives. I understand what you are saying because I worked with children since I was 13. I was a  child myself but my experience with my own age was not good and a lovely lady from the church asked me to help her in Cradle Roll and I never looked back. She taught me so much and I spent the next 50 years working with the children. The rewards are numberless and I've had several come to me since they have become adults and thanked me for the influence I was in their life. Oh what a blessing to see the faithfulness of God in working with the hearts of the children that have been put in our care.

Beacon

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2019, 04:40:34 PM »

"Let mothers come to Jesus with their perplexities. They will find grace sufficient to aid them in the management of their children. The gates are open for every mother who would lay her burdens at the Saviour’s feet. He who said, “Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not,” still invites the mothers to lead up their little ones to be blessed by Him. Even the babe in its mother’s arms may dwell as under the shadow of the Almighty through the faith of the praying mother. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from his birth. If we will live in communion with God, we too may expect the divine Spirit to mold our little ones, even from their earliest moments."[/font]

Jesus gave clear instruction to His disciples about the potential  "Real Value" of children, and the early training thereof, when He said in
Mark 10:13-15

"And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

"Ask the gardener by what process he makes every branch and leaf to flourish so beautifully, and to develop in symmetry and loveliness. He will tell you that it was by no rude touch, no violent effort; for this would only break the delicate stems. It was by little attentions, often repeated. He moistened the soil, and protected the growing plants from the fierce blasts and from the scorching sun, and God caused them to flourish and to blossom into loveliness. In dealing with your children, follow the method of the gardener. By gentle touches, by loving ministrations, seek to fashion their characters after the pattern of the character of Christ."
Look up and listen for the shout.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2019, 03:06:21 AM »
Amen, Brother Beacon!

Happy Sabbath, and may you let Jesus lead you as one of His children to rest in His arms of love and grace!

"Encourage the expression of love toward God and toward one another. The reason why there are so many hardhearted men and women in the world is that true affection has been regarded as weakness, and has been discouraged and repressed. The better nature of these persons was stifled in childhood; and unless the light of divine love shall melt away their cold selfishness, their happiness will be forever ruined. If we wish our children to possess the tender spirit of Jesus, and the sympathy that angels manifest for us, we must encourage the generous, loving impulses of childhood." {The Desire of Ages, page 516, paragraph 2}

As we express our love towards God and one another, love increases our strength and capacity for knowing and loving God and one another. We can be so thankful that conversion is a precious gift from Jesus in which we are filled with His loving, generous impulses and gladly manifest His character to those around us. May you find joy today in Jesus' presence to go forth and reveal the light of His loveliness of character!

Dorine

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2019, 05:56:06 AM »
Jesus was the pattern for children, and He was also the father's example. He spoke as one having authority, and His word was with power; yet in all His intercourse with rude and violent men He did not use one unkind or discourteous expression. The grace of Christ in the heart will impart a heaven-born dignity and sense of propriety. It will soften whatever is harsh, and subdue all that is coarse and unkind. It will lead fathers and mothers to treat their children as intelligent beings, as they themselves would like to be treated. 

Our children are not our possession. They are lent to us from God to nurture and train for citizenship in heaven. What a privilege God has given to parents. There is such joy in watching the Holy Spirit work on their little hearts but first the parents must have the Holy Spirit residing in their own hearts. The children's conception of God will be what they witness in their parents. If we as parents, grandparents etc. are beholding Christ in our daily lives and letting His grace transform our lives then the children will learn from our example to love Jesus and accept Him into their hearts.

Beacon

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2020, 07:40:42 PM »
"There is a God above, and the light and glory from His throne rests upon the faithful mother as she tries to educate her children to resist the influence of evil. No other work can equal hers in importance. She has not, like the artist, to paint a form of beauty upon canvas; nor, like the sculptor, to chisel it from marble. She has not, like the author, to embody a noble thought in words of power; nor, like the musician, to express a beautiful sentiment in melody. It is hers, with the help of God, to develop in a human soul the likeness of the divine."

Gods' Word gives each parent a wonderful promise and that promise comes with a guarantee. It doesn't mean that the journey will always be without challenges but through all the storms and perilous paths of life on planet Earth if we teach out children to keep their eyes fixed on Jesus and to live for Him " Through It All ", He does promise a safe landing on the eternal shore in a place where there will be no sin, no evil, no sadness, no pain or sorrow or death. If we as parents will take the time to do our very best with His help and guidance to bring our children to Jesus through each step of our earthly journey...Then with confidence we can claim His promise as found in....

Proverbs 22:6 says.. "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2020, 10:31:06 PM »
Amen Brother Beacon!  Some will want to know where you found that beautiful quote, it is not in our Desire of Ages.

"There is a God above, and the light and glory from His throne rests upon the faithful mother as she tries to educate her children to resist the influence of evil. No other work can equal hers in importance. She has not, like the artist, to paint a form of beauty upon canvas; nor, like the sculptor, to chisel it from marble. She has not, like the author, to embody a noble thought in words of power; nor, like the musician, to express a beautiful sentiment in melody. It is hers, with the help of God, to develop in a human soul the likeness of the divine."

It is one of my favorite truths God has given to us. What an opportunity mothers have to rear their children to become true Christians. Sadly, too many do not appreciate their privilege and are more interested in other things, even in ministry to others. I taught a medical ministry course using the Ministry of Healing as my source Book. The statement can be found there on page 378.

It continues: "The mother who appreciates this will regard her opportunities as priceless. Earnestly will she seek, in her own character and by her methods of training, to present before her children the highest ideal. Earnestly, patiently, courageously, she will endeavor to improve her own abilities, that she may use aright the highest powers of the mind in the training of her children. Earnestly will she inquire at every step, "What hath God spoken?" Diligently she will study His word. She will keep her eyes fixed upon Christ, that her own daily experience, in the lowly round of care and duty, may be a true reflection of the one true Life."

Where this has not been the case, it may not be too late to repent and ask children for forgiveness and tell them wherein we as parents were wrong and misrepresented Jesus to them. If we ask Jesus what to do, will He not tell us. Does He not want us to make an effort to save our children from our poor example? For many there is still time to remove the reproach we have brought upon Christ and His Word, as much as is possible.

Sister Dorine has found the truth as to how we are to act as parents and where we can find the power to do so.

The grace of Christ in the heart will impart a heaven-born dignity and sense of propriety. It will soften whatever is harsh, and subdue all that is coarse and unkind. It will lead fathers and mothers to treat their children as intelligent beings, as they themselves would like to be treated. 

Beacon

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2020, 05:47:56 AM »
=========================================================================================
Thank you Brother Richard, for pointing out that there was no reference given for my quote . This was taken from the book Adventist Home Page 237 another very encouraging source of God given instruction especially for mothers and fathers who are raising children.
=========================================================================================

Dorine

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2020, 06:36:11 AM »
"Let mothers come to Jesus with their perplexities. They will find grace sufficient to aid them in the management of their children. The gates are open for every mother who would lay her burdens at the Saviour's feet. He who said, "Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not," still invites the mothers to lead up their little ones to be blessed by Him."

These were such encouraging words when raising my children. I didn't always do it right and had to make confession to God and my children. Children are so forgiving. My hearts desire was to have them obey me because they knew I loved them and not just because "I said so".  I love these words in today's reading.

"Even the babe in its mother's arms may dwell as under the shadow of the Almighty through the faith of the praying mother. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from his birth. If we will live in communion with God, we too may expect the divine Spirit to mold our little ones, even from their earliest moments."

If only more parents today would read these precious books and believe and live by the counsel that God has given. There would be a peace and joy in each life and in the home.

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2020, 04:12:27 AM »
Simple lessons, often repeated, can make a deep impression on the heart and mind. We are God's children and no two of us have the same experience. Let us not look for a certain emotion to tell whether we are converted, but simply yield the whole heart to Christ and allow Him to fill us with all of the fruits of the Spirit without one missing--which are character traits of the divine nature that will be manifest in each converted soul regardless of how he or she is feeling at the moment. When we learn how to simply point souls to Christ because we are living in union and communion with Christ, we will find a grace, a joy and a simplicity in life that is refreshing and invigorating!

"In working for the conversion of our children, we should not look for violent emotion as the essential evidence of conviction of sin. Nor is it necessary to know the exact time when they are converted. We should teach them to bring their sins to Jesus, asking His forgiveness, and believing that He pardons and receives them as He received the children when He was personally on earth." {The Desire of Ages, page 515, paragraph 3}

Dorine

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2020, 05:32:34 AM »
"As the Holy Spirit moves upon the hearts of the children, co-operate with His work. Teach them that the Saviour is calling them, that nothing can give Him greater joy than for them to give themselves to Him in the bloom and freshness of their years."   

Many under estimate the understanding of young minds.Their minds are like a sponge and many valuable moments are lost because many think the child is too young for spiritual conception.  What invades their senses has an eternal effect. This is the time to constantly put before them how much Jesus loves them and wants their hearts. It's a beautiful thing to see a child who has been touched by the love of Jesus. To witness the simple childish faith is an example of what God requires of all His children no matter what age.

Beacon

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2020, 06:08:01 AM »
"Let mothers come to Jesus with their perplexities. They will find grace sufficient to aid them in the management of their children..Even the babe in its mother’s arms may dwell as under the shadow of the Almighty through the faith of the praying mother..If we will live in communion with God, we too may expect the divine Spirit to mold our little ones, even from their earliest moments."

Jesus gave clear instruction to His disciples about the potential  "Real Value" of children, and the early training thereof, when He said in..Mark 10:13-15

"And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein".

Pastor Sean Brizendine

• Following the Lamb
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2020, 06:25:04 AM »
The most childlike, humble disciple of Jesus is the most efficient in His service. Let us be kind, friendly, tenderhearted, and willing to be anything or nothing as we fix our eyes by faith upon Jesus who so kindly leads our lives as we surrender the WHOLE heart to Him so He can fill us with ALL of the fruits of the Spirit so not one is missing! Just like that first bite of sweet, refreshing, stress-relieving watermelon, you will ever want more of the fruit of the Spirit that Jesus gives you! We may ever become even more fruitful and more like Jesus as He ripens us for His SOON COMING!! Let us be sweet and gracious to all whom God brings in our path as Jesus lives out the loveliness of His life in and through us!

"Encourage the expression of love toward God and toward one another. The reason why there are so many hardhearted men and women in the world is that true affection has been regarded as weakness, and has been discouraged and repressed. The better nature of these persons was stifled in childhood; and unless the light of divine love shall melt away their cold selfishness, their happiness will be forever ruined. If we wish our children to possess the tender spirit of Jesus, and the sympathy that angels manifest for us, we must encourage the generous, loving impulses of childhood." {The Desire of Ages, page 516, paragraph 2} 

When we are truly converted, we will experience what Jesus said, "And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:2-4). Oh, what joy it is to truly be converted by having Jesus live in the heart today!! Will you join me in this sweet experience?

Dorine

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2020, 06:41:34 AM »
"As the mother teaches her children to obey her because they love her, she is teaching them the first lessons in the Christian life. The mother's love represents to the child the love of Christ, and the little ones who trust and obey their mother are learning to trust and obey the Saviour."

Amen. What a privilege it is to raise a child for Jesus. To take them to the throne of grace each day and teach them how to pray and surrender their little hearts to him is one of the most tender experiences a parent can have. This chapter always warms my heart as I reminisce those years so long ago.

Beacon

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2020, 08:01:20 AM »
"Let mothers come to Jesus with their perplexities. They will find grace sufficient to aid them in the management of their children. The gates are open for every mother who would lay her burdens at the Saviour’s feet. He who said, “Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not,” still invites the mothers to lead up their little ones to be blessed by Him. Even the babe in its mother’s arms may dwell as under the shadow of the Almighty through the faith of the praying mother. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from his birth. If we will live in communion with God, we too may expect the divine Spirit to mold our little ones, even from their earliest moments."

Jesus gave clear instruction to His disciples about the potential  "Real Value" of children, and the early training thereof, when He said in Mark 10:13-15

"And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein."

"If we wish our children to possess the tender spirit of Jesus, and the sympathy that angels manifest for us,       we must encourage the generous, loving impulses of childhood."